Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on September 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This is kind of a double OOTD with a twist. In order to get the entire picture, one has to see Barack Obama’s initial reaction to the woman who challenged him in a town hall meeting this week by telling the President that she was “exhausted” from having to defend him. Obama reacts by first laughing at her, apparently thinking she was going to say that she was tired of the criticism of The One, and then had to get serious when he realized she was talking about being tired of defending Obama’s failures:

Hours later at a high-priced fundraiser, Obama took a more serious tack among his supporters that could only be characterized by this description — shut up, he explainedJake Tapper reported it:

The president this evening said he wanted supporters to understand that “we are just in the first quarter here. We’ve gotten a lot of stuff done, but we’ve got a lot more work to do.”

He criticized Democrats who complain that “the health care plan didn’t have a public option,” or say to him, “’You ended the war in Iraq but haven’t completely finished the Afghan war yet.’”

His message to them: “Folks wake up! This is not some academic exercise. As Joe Biden put it, Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.” …

It was not clear whom the president was talking about, specifically, but earlier today, at a town hall meeting broadcast by CNBC, the president was confronted by the angst of some frustrated supporters.

One woman, Velma Hart, described herself as a mother, a wife, a veteran and “one of your middle-class Americans. And, quite frankly, I’m exhausted. I’m exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the mantle of change that I voted for, and deeply disappointed with where we are right now. I have been told that I voted for a man who said he was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class. I’m one of those people. And I’m waiting, sir. I’m waiting.”

Obama got it backwards.  Velma Hart has already had her wake-up call, finds herself “deeply disappointed,” and she’s hardly alone.  Instead of listening, Obama wants Hart and the rest of the people who have had the scales fall from their eyes after two years to just keep quiet because, well, Obama thinks the alternative is worse.  I’m sure Velma will take that message to heart after hearing Obama deliver it from the Pyramid Club banquet room while she and her family return to the “hot dogs and beans” days.

As for academic exercises, doesn’t that describe Obamanomics rather well?  It’s been an almighty flop, certainly.

Comments

If nothing else is evident Obama is out of the loop. Nouveau riche in a president isn’t good for anyone, certainly not the country.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM

As for academic exercises, doesn’t that describe Obamanomics rather well? It’s been an almighty flop, certainly.

speaking of academic exercises, usually report cards and transcripts demonstrate how successful that a student performs while in college….I wonder if there is some consistency here between flopping economically and flopping academically??? natch, no proof to the contrary exists….

ted c on September 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM

We’re into the second year of his presidency. It’s only the “first quarter” if he’s a two-termer. Such optimism.

(BTW, when I was poor, I used to dream of eating as well as “hot dogs and beans.” Whatever would these people make of “crackers and ketchup if you’re lucky?” Unfortunately, we may find out….)

apostic on September 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM

. And, quite frankly, I’m exhausted. I’m exhausted of defending you, defending your administration, defending the mantle of change that I voted for, and deeply disappointed with where we are right now. I have been told that I voted for a man who said he was going to change things in a meaningful way for the middle class. I’m one of those people. And I’m waiting, sir. I’m waiting.”
===============================================

The beginnings of the ObamaZombieVoterBots Insurrection,
but,she’s a veteran,so I’ll call her an Obama supporter,
out of respect for her military service!!

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.

But I thought Obama was The One who would make the climate calm & the sea levels lower…?

itsnotaboutme on September 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.”

I do Compare him to the Alternative, in my book he comes rather close.

Gwillie on September 22, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Out of Touch!

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM

“As Joe Biden put it, Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.”

Wha..? This doesn’t even make sense! Giggles, you are in trouble if you’re quoting the crap that comes out of Greasy Joe’s pie-hole as if he’s some sort of wise sage. Real trouble.

crazy_legs on September 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM

With a $4 billion a day overspending habit, we are all exhausted from ‘supporting’ him.

GnuBreed on September 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Looks like the night shift had a rousing food fight over on QOTD. Maybe I need to get off the day shift and go to rotating hours.

Bishop on September 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Instead of listening, Obama wants Hart and the rest of the people who have had the scales fall from their eyes after two years because, well, Obama thinks the alternative is worse.

Ed, I feel like I’m missing something from this sentence…

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM

a little hall & oates please :)

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

=====================

This line has me p*ssed,however,I knew all long,
that Hopey was going to let Afghanistan go to h*ll
in a handbasket,by diddling!!
=============================

the book says.(Bob Woodward,Obama Wars)

“I want an exit strategy,” he implored at one meeting. Privately, he told Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to push his alternative strategy opposing a big troop buildup in meetings, and while Mr. Obama ultimately rejected it, he set a withdrawal timetable because,

“I can’t lose the whole Democratic Party.”…

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Yeah, I missed a portion there. It’s fixed now.

Ed Morrissey on September 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM

As I watched live Obama’s initial reaction to her criticism, my first thought was “go ahead and laugh, you pompous @ss”. Then, it struck me, he really “doesn’t get it”, (that his policies and leadership are failing this nation). For the President to insist that this country is “still heading in the right direction” provides all the incentives for Republicans to storm the polls in November to prove what Velma Hart and a majority of Americans have been saying—”enough is enough, stop spending!”

Rovin on September 22, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Ruling class!!!

ladyingray on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Who are these people to complain after all Obama has done for them, they should be thanking him that they still have their government job, above average salary, and well above average pension?

After all the federal payoffs that keep these people in good times, and they are still complaining. It’s not enough, it’s never enough; always more, more, more.

And the alternative? They could be unemployed, broke, losing their home, sick without health insurance.

These people should be thanking the President, on their knees every day.

Skandia Recluse on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Bishop on September 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I can’t see wasting time arguing about O’Donnell. Now we should all agree on this QOTD….”We can absorb a terrorist attack” from the new Woodward book.

Deanna on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Ed Morrissey on September 22, 2010 at 8:22 AM

excellent, thanks Ed

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

she’s a veteran,so I’ll call her an Obama supporter,
out of respect for her military service!!

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

She was on some morning TV show yesterday, I think, clarifying her remarks. She still loves Obama and thinks he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. She expects great things from him in the future. In short she’s still a Kool-Aid drinker.

Oldnuke on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I wish someone would ask Velma Hart exactly what change she had in mind for ‘the middle class’. Is Obama not far enough to the Left for her? Unlike so many Americans who have suffered under the Obama regime, she’s not unemployed, is the National Finance Director and CFO of AmVets (so presumably she’s well-compensated), yet she’s complaining having to live on hot dogs and beans.

I am not going to be among those who seize on her town hall moment as being emblematic of the disappointments and failures of Barackonomics.

Buy Danish on September 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Deanna on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I loves me the internecine chow-throwing though, good times.

As for that quote, so says the man protected by an army of professional security. PBHO doesn’t have to walk through a mall or live next to a refinery, nice fat targets for the random jihadi.

Bishop on September 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

….”We can absorb a terrorist attack” from the new Woodward book.

Deanna on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

what???

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Velma thinks she is “middle class”. Obama thinks she is “rich”. His plan is working just the way he wanted. Knock down the rich and spread their wealth. She is greedy to not want to go back to hot dogs and beans so that someone else can get a share of her pie.

ctmom on September 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:17 AM
===========================================
a little hall & oates please :)

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

cmsinaz: By popular,dedicated to Hopey and Changey!!-:)
====================================================

Hall and Oates – Out of Touch [HQ]

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:29 AM

The narcissism of O’s response of laughter shows that he thought her setup remarks were going to be complimentary. Surprise! I do wonder, though, what Velma Hart had in mind with her expectations for this administration.

Like most of the Lefties, ObaMao engages in projection of motives against his perceived adversaries or critics. “This is not some academic exercise,” the phony lecturer declaims, yet according to the newly released Woodward book, ObaMao gave his staff “homework” to do.

onlineanalyst on September 22, 2010 at 8:29 AM

El crapo,thats by popular demand,!

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Bishop on September 22, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Bishop: Yup,insurgents against Christine O’Donnell,with
Tea Party Patriots,holding their defensive lines!
-:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Gee, who’d have thunk that a “voting present” state senator with no executive experience or real world experience would be unfit to be president? Aren’t we just glad that we dodged a bullet with a mayor/governor being vice-president?

rbj on September 22, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I heard Ms hart on Hannity yesterday, she still supports Obama and is still waiting for and trust him to make everything better. I had to turn her off it made me sick.

Cookies Mom on September 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM

what???

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM

cmsinaz: Yuppers!:)
=========================================================

Barack Obama To Bob Woodward This Past July:

“We can absorb a terrorist attack. We’ll do everything we can to prevent it, but even a 9/11, even the biggest attack ever . . . we absorbed it and we are stronger.”
—Ace

From Woodward’s new book, quoted in the Washington Post.

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Between Hart’s remarks and Woodward’s book, Teh Won is down for the count!

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Oldnuke on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Oldnuke: D*mmit,then she’s back as a ObamaZombieVoterBot!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Between Hart’s remarks and Woodward’s book, Teh Won is down for the count!
petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Methinks Hart’s remarks are about to be eclipsed by Woodward’s book.

Buy Danish on September 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Nouveau riche in a president isn’t good for anyone, certainly not the country.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I’ve often thought few words sum up the Øbama’s as well as nouveau riche.

Another apt word for him is brat.

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Buy Danish on September 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Probably.

Here’s a question for ya: Think Woodward’s book may be the ice breaker for MSM’s sycophancy?

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.” …

Isn’t Satan supposed to be competent?

NoDonkey on September 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Hall and Oates – Out of Touch [HQ]

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:29 AM

perfect for the kool-aid drinkers :)

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM
=============================

Methinks Hart’s remarks are about to be eclipsed by Woodward’s book.

Buy Danish on September 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Buy Danish: Yup,this is going to be Forest Fire with high
winds across the internet today on Woodwards
book revelations!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM

”We can absorb a terrorist attack”

He needs to absorb a kick in the ass, right to the curb of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, for that one.

NoDonkey on September 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM

unbelievable, he avoided the ‘talk of victory’….

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Yup,this is going to be Forest Fire with high
winds across the internet today on Woodwards
book revelations!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM

When I heard about it this morning on F&F, I got up early just to watch that fire spread. Usually I’m grumpy in the mornings, but today I climbed out of bed with a smile on my face.

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM

highly doubtful, they will spin for dear leader…

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:29 AM
============================
perfect for the kool-aid drinkers :)

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM

cmsinaz:Soo true,did you see the Terrorist Absorption
idiot Obama comment!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.”

I do Compare him to the Alternative, in my book he comes rather close.

Gwillie on September 22, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Priceless…

Fallon on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

It’s been almost 2 years for him and 4 for Pelosi and Reid. If he’s talking about progressives in power, we’re well past the first quarter.

Or is the economy? The depression is already 2 years old now. Is he saying this will last for 8 years?

forest on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

we are just in the first quarter here.

Your first half is over, tool. And your inexperience, lack of skill, and muddled understanding of the game has put your team so far behind that even LeBron himself couldn’t save you. And you’re no LeBron (no matter what those voices in your head try to tell you).

Better start trying to adjust to the reality of it now. Otherwise you’ll just make things a lot harder for yourself when the moving vans pull up to the White House in Jan 2013.

AZCoyote on September 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM

look, he doesn’t give a flying piece of crap about her or anyone else. its BO time all the time. for the betterment of the country, finally, FINALLY, some of his supporters are getting it.

jbh45 on September 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM

cmsinaz:Soo true,did you see the Terrorist Absorption
idiot Obama comment!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

yeah…he scares me
*sigh*

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM
=========================================

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

petefrt: You,grumpy,naw,I’m lucky,I was always a morning
person,and yes,Obama’s popularity polling is gonna
get hammered done good!!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.”

Headline Item from The Peoples Cube: Obama goes to church, worships self

Insert witty screen name here on September 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Yup, most will, but I’m hoping a significant few, or maybe even a significant very few, will be emboldened enough to start taking a second look.

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM

sure hope so…

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM

This is yet another reason this clown was a bad candidate from the start.

He’s run NOTHING in his life, other than the 2008 campaign and even in that, he was a figurehead.

He’s asking people to trust him on faith.

There is no track record to speak of.

He didn’t turn a company around as a CEO.

He didn’t turn a war around, like Petreus did.

Even if we supported him, how can you trust a guy with no record of accomplishment at any level, to turn the US economy around?

You can’t. Which is another reason why the Democrats and the media were so short-sighted and wrong in picking this guy to be president.

NoDonkey on September 22, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Obama’s popularity polling is gonna
get hammered done good!!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Think this will take his approvals down into the high 30′s? (And the 30′s is the Land of No Return, isn’t it?)

My bet is yes, within 2-3 weeks.

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 8:51 Am
===========================
yeah…he scares me
*sigh*

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,its all about the Liberal Party,and with this
latest tell-all,its what we all suspected all a l
ong!!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM

He definitely qualifies as a brat. Considering how he takes criticism I think it is safe to say he saw little of it in his life or at least little directed at him.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2010 at 9:06 AM

As long as they’re organic hot dogs & beans (served on a colorful bed of arugula, of course), then Obummer thinks you should feel lucky.

KS Rex on September 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM

My bet is yes, within 2-3 weeks.

petefrt on September 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM

petefrt:I agree,and its before November to boot!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Sounds to me as if she was battling within herself. She knows what is happening to the country and the people and she doesn’t agree, but she’s still in love with the guy so she has to give him all the excuses she can find. Zero’s idea of the Iraq war being completed is kinda like the depression/recession being over in June ’09. We’re not seeing it that way.

Kissmygrits on September 22, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Oldnuke on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Something I’ve been wondering: If a white that’s critical of the POTUS is going to be accused of racism, what about the converse (blacks praising the POTUS)?

apostic on September 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Does he honestly believe he will be reelected?

mizflame98 on September 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

cmsinaz:Yup,its all about the Liberal Party,and with this
latest tell-all,its what we all suspected all a l
ong!!:)

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Does he honestly believe he will be reelected?

mizflame98 on September 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

yup, if the msm continues to prop this man up

cmsinaz on September 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Oldnuke on September 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM

She clearly was taken to the woodshed by the thug-in-chief’s hired goons and had to “clarify” her earlier statements and try to make them go away.

Extrafishy on September 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Cindy Munford: Remember,he skipped the ‘Salute to Heroes’ Inaugural Ball,and that speaks for itself!:)
====================

American Legion Acknowledges That Obama Failed to Attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball

canopfor on September 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Don’t compare us to the Almighty, compare us to the alternative.” …

Yes, remember the bad old days when 5.5% unemployment was a major depression….

Caper29 on September 22, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Extrafishy on September 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I think it was comments at Ace on the day of that covered it nicely:

“Does she have any unpaid taxes?”

“She does now.”

apostic on September 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Bu… but… he’s written books!!! A… and… he gave a speech. A… and… he’s BLACK!!! You have to trust him if he’s black, otherwise you’re a RAAAAAAAAACIST!!!

/liberal

crazy_legs on September 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM

The most interesting part was not the laugh but how many times did The Sun King try to get her to stop talking. Count how many times he said “Right”. The man really does not want to hear any criticism.

EliTheBean on September 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I’m confused, Barry is a half-white, half-wit, correct?

We can blame it on the white half, as long as he resigns.

NoDonkey on September 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Where are the trolls to defend their Dear Leader? Are they over in the COD threads accusing us of not defending her?

Maybe they’re just tired.

CurtZHP on September 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Smug and arrogant, that’s our COC. Get real, Velma, Mr. President couldn’t care less what’s on your dinner plate. You should be thankful for wienies and beans and be glad it’s not a bowl of porridge.

scalleywag on September 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I almost felt for Mary, when she somewhat choked out….is this my reality?

I truly don’t feel for her, or anyone else that bought this snake oil salesman’s pitch. Elections have consequences, and I just don’t think she’s tired of Obama, she’s just waiting for the moment when blacks get what they feel is coming to them in the way of reparations. New house, gas in the car, and no worries, courtesy of the rest of us.

capejasmine on September 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Obama did not laugh AT Velma Hart. He was laughed in surprise at being criticized by her.

Ira on September 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Another Bambi set-up.Velma Hart is just another puppet of the puppet.Bambi could take her two private school educated kids and roast them on a spit on the White house front lawn,and she would still vote for him.Note the “I don’t FEEL IT”.Obamazombie through and through.

DDT on September 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We’ve just gone through the first 1st quarter??? First 25% of what? His term is 1/2 over unless he is assuming he’ll get reelected. Pretty presumptuous if you ask me.

SNick on September 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM

With his bat ears, you’d think he’d be able to hear mo’ better.

MayorDaley on September 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM

What’s wrong with all of you? Bow down to the great and mighty Oz, you peasants. You should be thanking him.

GrannyDee on September 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM

apostic on September 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Hamburger helper…..we find its even better without the Hamburger!

Seriously check and see if there’s a 99 cent store in your area.

DSchoen on September 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Based on AmVets 2009 tax forms (990), their previous CFO/Finance Director, Robert Gujral, earned the following:

- $124,000 in reportable compensation
- $20,393 in “other” compensation

Considering that non-profits seek to insulate their executive team from the impact of the economy, odds are that Velma is making even more.

rbendana on September 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

How about this one, Ed?

Just this week President Obama said the following: “”I’ve never believed that government’s role is to create jobs or prosperity. I believe it’s the drive and the ingenuity of our entrepreneurs, our small businesses…I believe it’s the private sector that must be the main engine for our recovery.”

Does President Obama’s staff think we don’t remember his very FIRST press conference???????????

Angry Dumbo on September 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I’m surprised she hasn’t been Joe the Plumbered yet?
She must be a racist Tea Partier, after all, she’s a Vet.
“Eat your free cheese commoner, I’m having Wolfgang Puck cook for me tonight”, or will Michelle demand her BMI be checked? NO CHEESE FOR YOU!

M-14 2go on September 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM