MSNBC: Toomey up “slightly” in PA

posted at 3:54 pm on September 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In 2008, Barack Obama won the national popular vote by seven points over John McCain for the presidency, an outcome that got reported as a major triumph, if not a landslide, by most major media.  Two years later, MSNBC publishes an AP report on a poll result from Quinnipiac about the Senate race in Pennsylvania with this headline:

Poll: Toomey slightly ahead in Pa. Senate race

Slightly, eh?

Republican Pat Toomey is slightly ahead of Democrat Joe Sestak in a new poll in Pennsylvania’s closely watched race for U.S. Senate.

The Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday shows Toomey with 50 percent to Sestak’s 43 percent among likely voters. Meanwhile, independent voters are breaking heavily for Toomey, 54 percent to 36 percent.

Yes, it’s that same seven point gap that constituted a resounding victory over McCain.  Not only that, but this is the first independent poll showing Toomey surmounting the 50% threshold in the race.  Sestak, meanwhile, has finally gotten out of the thirties, but is not capturing voters at the rate necessary to surpass the Republican that chased Arlen Specter into the Democratic Party and eventually out of the Senate.

The internals of this poll aren’t any cheerier to Democrats, either, and not just in the Senate race:

By 47 – 41 percent, likely Pennsylvania voters say Toomey rather than Sestak shares their values. And 41 percent of all voters say “shared values” is the most important quality they seek in a candidate, while 25 percent cite the ability to bring change to Washington. Another 23 percent are looking for someone who is honest and trustworthy and 7 percent want the candidate with the right experience.

Pennsylvania likely voters are strongly negative on the federal health care overhaul passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama last March. By 59 – 34 percent, including 63 – 32 percent among independents, they give the plan thumbs down.

If 41% want “shared values” and another 25% want to “bring change to Washington,” that’s about two-thirds of the electorate inclined against sending Democrats back to maintain a status quo with which Pennsylvanians are highly dissatisfied.  The ObamaCare numbers are bad enough with a 25-point downside, but Barack Obama himself is “acting as a drag” on Toomey with a 40/56 approval rating among likely Pennsylvania voters.  That number erodes to 36/62 among independents.

Well, okay, it erodes slightly.  I hope that makes Sestak, the Democrats, and MSNBC happier.

Comments

Anchors Aweigh!!!

ted c on September 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

We need a couple of stories here…

Race-Baiting Dem Congresswoman Tells Latinos the Vietnamese Are Trying to Take Away Their Seat

ninjapirate on September 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Are there any independent thinkers in Pennsylvania who believe that Sestak is NOT a political weasel. Very few, imo. It’ll be Toomey.
Randy

williars on September 22, 2010 at 4:00 PM

7 point lead with 7 percent undecided. All Sestak has to do is turn out all of his supporters and get every single undecided voter.

forest on September 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I’m not a big believer in polls. Whether they speak good, or bad, from my personal stand point, and I don’t here either. Polls represent a small fraction of people that are polled. They aren’t the voice of every person, and every vote.

I thought after all the corruption Murtha had bathed himself in, he’d be sure to lose his seat, and didn’t. So I just can’t put the cart before the horse. And maybe I’m being paranoid, but I don’t think ACORN is necessarily out of this…even though they seem to be laying low?

I know what I want the outcome to be, and if this is an indication, then I’m happy about it, but I just can’t take that breath, and release it, til after the November elections.

capejasmine on September 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM

And in the latest ratings, FoxNews is “slightly ahead” of MSNBC.

Doughboy on September 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM

“An elephant is slightly larger than an ant.” MSNBC

Khun Joe on September 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM

The “Memory Hole” is what keeps the Donks from slipping into complete despair.

Change is cruel and fickle mistress.

Bruno Strozek on September 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I think this is the first post in the past 3 months where the article (at least the part that was pasted to HotAir) didn’t have to phonetically spell Quinnipiac. If your company’s name requires that in every article ever published about you, it’s time for a name change.

Kelligan on September 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Obamacare is ‘slightly’ unpopular.

fossten on September 22, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Obama-Math.

This is pretty much why every economic adviser has bailed.

tetriskid on September 22, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Oh, Ed – there’s liberal math and there’s conservative math. You just have to be more flexible. It’s scientific.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Toomey’s ideas are idiotic and unimaginative — a watered-down Reaganism, really — and his policies will only hurt Pennsylvanians. A vote for Toomey is a vote for nihilism and chaos. Toomey will be a failed legislator.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM

What are his idiotic ideas that will lead to nihilism and chaos?

forest on September 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Wow!..just..Wow!..

Dire Straits on September 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Slightly = Winner

Next story.

BobMbx on September 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM
What are his idiotic ideas that will lead to nihilism and chaos?

forest on September 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Well for one, he won’t be bringin’ in all that pork like like Big John did…. \sarc

HomeoftheBrave on September 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Kelligan on September 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Quinnipiac polls tend to give results “slightly” to the left of most other polls, so that Toomey’s lead is more likely the 9 points Rasmussen had in its last PA poll.

Still, by the seven is slightly standard, Linda McMahon is “slightly” (6 points) behind Dick Blumenthal in Connecticut, where QUIN-uh-pee-yak you-nuh-VERS-uh-tee is located.

Steve Z on September 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Obama is slightly Marxist

faraway on September 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Here’s Toomey’s brilliant campaign slogan: “Less government, more jobs.” Oversimple. Unoriginal. Unimaginative. False. Nostalgic. 1980.

Sorry folks, but Reagan’s not going to work in 2010.

Toomey offers absolutely nothing new to working Pennsylvanians and even less to those not.

Run from this man.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

no, 365-173 constituted the resounding victory.

sesquipedalian on September 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Where are we getting these ‘military leaders’? Admiral Sestak, General Ashley Wilkes, General McChrystal. Can we get more Oliver Norths somehow?

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM

If SESTAK loses will he rat RAHM out for BRIBING him to drop out of the race ?
I predict SESTAK goes to D.C one way or another as a corrupt appointee of Obama or to testify LOL

ELMO Q on September 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Toomey’s official website bio starts with this unctuous, selective, self-aggrandizing blather: “Growing up the third of six children in a blue-collar, working class family—his father a union worker and his mother a part-time secretary at the family’s parish church—Pat was taught the values of hard work and self-reliance.” Then he went to Harvard, learned about being rich, and never did a thing for working people for the rest of his life.

Being born in a working-class family is no guarantee that you’ll grow up to give a damn about working people. In fact, usually it’s the opposite, as Toomey has proven time and again.

“Blue collar” Toomey is out for himself and his Wall Street cronies at the Allentown Country Club.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I’ll take Wall Street Cronies over Marx, Lenin,central planners, command and control economies any day.

I would rather tip my hat to a capitalist than live in Winston Smith’s world.

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM

You know, this is incredibly damaging, this sort of ‘down playing.’

I realize we’re all wise to it, but the voters that are needed to create the unprecedented tsunami of conservatism are not. And this DOES discourage them slightly. Not much, but even if it only affects a few hundred votes, that can be the difference between a seat here and there.

I get apoplectic about this type of sabotage. Frankly, I think it borders on interference with an election. Of course, it’s protected free speech, but man is it awful

WashingtonsWake on September 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM

What are his idiotic ideas that will lead to nihilism and chaos?

forest on September 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

… I would rather tip my hat to a capitalist than live in Winston Smith’s world.

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Wouldn’t we all? And with welfare-for-all-bankers and business-before-country politicians like Toomey in charge, I wouldn’t, if I were you, be paying your country club dues in advance just yet.

Far more likely, you’ll be at the unemployment line first. Can’t wait to see you tip your hat to “capitalists” then.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM

What are his idiotic ideas that will lead to nihilism and chaos?

forest on September 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM

You got me, fair and square. I lost my head and wrote “ideas.” In fact, Toomey has not for years come within 100 miles of a single fresh concept.

He offers nothing, just self-indulgent pleasure for angry, ignorant T-partiers who are only too willing to vote against their own interests.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I AM unemployed, you fool! I blame this a$$hole that probably you and a bunch of other government public school indoctrinated ‘geniuses’ voted for. And adding to the filthy Nan Pelosi run ‘rat rolls.
You’ve got ‘rat liars in the government doing far worse than all the Enrons and Bernie Madoffs put together.
Are there corrupt Republicans? A few.
Your pal Stupak proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that ANY ‘rat is not to be trusted.

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I’d try to debate your points, but you aren’t making any points or arguments. You are just name calling. Using words like “unctuous” and “nihilism” is not a substitute for making an actual point.

I’ll be ignoring you from now on.

forest on September 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I’m sorry for your unemployment. I know that has to hurt. I don’t know what field you worked in, but trust me: Rush and Glenn and Allahpundit and Sarah have zero interest in seeing you get back to work. The angry pleasure for voting for Toomey will be short-lived and you’ll be back where you started. I wish you well.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Don’t feel bad for me. I will make it regardless.
I can’t speak for Allah or Sarah, but I’m fairly certain the other two rely on people like me purchasing from their advertisers.
And if I can’t afford life’s basics, it’s doubtful I’ll continue my internet service (Sorry, Allah, you’re screwed next). But hey, maybe AP would be glad to be rid of me.

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM

At the risk of getting my head handed to me, isn’t comparing a poll, with a margin of error (here, +/- 3.8%)to an election outcome, having no error margin, a bit of an apple-oranges exercise? In fact, at the risk of baring my statistical ignorance, isn’t 7% within the margin or the poll’s error?

Barnestormer on September 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM

You might want to hang out on infowars, bifidis.

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I’ll be ignoring you from now on.

forest on September 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

What, is this forensics class or something? Let us adjourn from the lecterns, good chap. you have skewered my entire debating strategy, and I stand in abject awe. Of course, since you’re ignoring me, you won’t be able to read this.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:26 PM

We got it. You don’t like Toomey. All Pennsylvanians on HA will now vote for Sestak. Happy?

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

At the risk of getting my head handed to me …

Barnestormer on September 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM

A sane observation is a big risk here. That’s for sure.

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

C’mon, folks, quit feeding the trolls. They just come back for more.

iurockhead on September 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Lanceman on September 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Damn, that was easy. Ten posts and a whole state election turned … OK, I gotta run to watch the kids. Will be back to torture you all with the truth some day soon. (Seriously, hope you can get working soon, Lance. I hear the Obama econ team is hiring?)

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

bifidis: “Rush and Glenn and Allahpundit and Sarah have zero interest in seeing you get back to work.”

Only Lord Obama, Queen Nancy and Court Jester Reid care about putting people back to work! That’s why they focused on ObamaCare, Care & Tax, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, Disclose Act, etc………………..

And besides, Lord Obama kept unemployment from going over 8%…right???

Justrand on September 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM

For the record, I hope Toomey buries Sestak. I’m simply questioning whether comparing n% of a population (all votes cast) with n% of a sample of a population (which of necessity carries a margin or error) is a compelling illustration of adverb abuse by the media.

Barnestormer on September 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

C’mon, folks, quit feeding the trolls. They just come back for more.

iurockhead on September 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Really. We only have a few trolls but we sure have a lot of fish.

slickwillie2001 on September 22, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Prop 8 passed 52/48 in California, also in 2008.

In the MSM Obama’s win was a landslide. But Prop 8 squeaked by.

angryed on September 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

I hear the Obama econ team is hiring?)

bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Lord knows they should be!!

tom on September 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Barnestormer on September 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

It’s a fair point. It’s fairly obvious that the media is downplaying the difference, but it’s not as egregious as it might seem at first glance because one is a poll and the other an actual election.

tom on September 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM

..oh gee whiz, Ed, you are a real meanie. I mean these guys are on the verge of suicide (or at least unhinged public profanity in Ohio) and MSNBC is only trying to prevent them from running out to the garage, starting the Volvo, rolling down the window, and doing the big sleep.

The War Planner on September 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I wish you well.
bifidis on September 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

As Rush points out, ‘wishing’ others well is all libs can do. Oh, they might offer you a bribe or windfall, or they might create another debt-creating program that encompasses your plight and temporarily eases your situation. They might even offer an employer some kind of tax credit that offsets a fraction of his expense in hiring you.
But since entrepreneurship is the ultimate evil to libs, they will NEVER do enough of the little things that encourage hiring for a lasting good economy. It has been over 40 years since a Democratic President oversaw an economic recovery without a Republican House. They view the flow of job-creating capital as the water that seeps around the entitlement dams they are obviously elected to create. And since every dollar the Fed. govt. takes in is only returned to the economy at a 25-40% rate, every program helps eliminate jobs in the long run. But their ideas are freshly bad and their intentions are good, (/Sarc) so the destructiveness of their policies doesn’t matter to some voters (and commenters).

Sorry, Lanceman. I wish you well, too. But I’ll also vote for someone who believes in prosperity, in addition to making wishes.

rwenger43 on September 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Go Toomey go!

Say, call Mark Levin and let millions across the country know who you are!

Mark7788 on September 23, 2010 at 2:10 AM