Loretta Sanchez on Univision: The Vietnamese are trying to take my House seat

posted at 9:10 pm on September 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, she of course means “our House seat.” I’m honestly curious: Does she talk this way in front of English-speaking audiences too, counting on her Absolute Moral Authority as a Democrat to shield her from criticism for racializing things with Van Tran, or is this something she saves for when — she thinks — big media isn’t listening? And another question: Did Univision challenge her when she said it or is this acceptable politicking there?

DoublePlusUndead points to a poll from last month showing the race between her and Tran within two thin points. Some press attention to this clip tomorrow could tip it. Think they’ll come through?

Update: Looks like it was the OC Weekly, a paper in Sanchez’s own district, that first broke this on Monday. Nice to see some press willing to cover it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I just donated to him…and will do so again!

This man DESERVES our support!!

Justrand on September 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM

She probably just insured a large Asian turnout in a year when the Democrats are uninspired in general.

Terrie on September 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Every single member of the Vietnamese community should be voting in November in California!

Republican Meg Whitman is running against former Governor Democrat Jerry Brown for Governor of California on the November ballot.

The Vietnamese community has a very strong reason to vote FOR Meg Whitman and AGAINST Jerry Brown

By Christmas of 1975, an estimated 130,000 Vietnamese refugees had been sponsored by churches and families who provided them with new homes in the United States. According to an article in Vietnam magazine, an American publication, the only state that initially resisted the influx of boat people was California, where Jerry Brown was then in his first term as governor. Brown’s administration reportedly attempted to prevent planes loaded with refugees from landing at Travis Air Force Base.

While the Vietnamesse community is voting for Meg Whitman for Governor, they can also proudly cast their vote for Van Tran for Congress. http://joinvantran.com

wren on September 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM

What stops her from using the same tactics she used to get the seat in the 1st place?

BruceB on September 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Good question. All I can think of is, maybe the Internet.

Mary in LA on September 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

She accuses Tran of being anti-immigrant? Excuse me? He came over to America as an immigrant. My wife is friends with someone who came over on a boat during the Vietnam War. My wife is Vietnamese, my children are 1/4 Vietnamese. My wife’s family back in Vietnam were likely killed by the Communists from the North, and now we have Marxists permeating the Democratic Party! No, Sanchez and the Democrats want to make us slaves to the State by making us dependent on it for all our needs and she will label someone “anti-immigrant” who opposes her Totalitarian agenda. Democrats use race to divide us and foster greed and envy among different ethnic groups. This is the fruit of Liberalism, divide and conquer. Please send Loretta Sanchez packing after November!

Blue Collar Todd on September 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

BruceB on September 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

BrueB,

Did she employ racism, ethnocentrism, bigotry, and her Hispanic Klan mentality to get her seat originally, or did she “do special favors” for people?

She comes off so nasty in video clip that I am so happy that I do not know her, and that she is not a “friend.”

William2006 on September 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM

It’s OK. Harry Reid says she’s the hottest woman in the House.

notropis on September 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM

BruceB on September 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I don’t think there are a lot of illegal Vietnamese in the district to vote against her.

hindmost on September 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I’m sending Mr. Tran $50 in memory of my past life in the beautiful OC. I wish it were more – I have always been content with what I have in life, except at election time, so many people I would like to support, not enough bucks to go around. But Mr. Tran needs it, and Ms. Sanchez makes giving to him the easiest thing I’ve done all day.

oldoldbabs on September 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Re the comment from wren on September 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM Regarding Vietnamese Refugees and Travis Air Force Base

wren,

We have family members who are Vietnamese, who fled Vietnam, as well as family members from Vietnam who are other, such as Chinese born in Vietname.

One family member, a woman and Vietnamese, was a baby during the evacuation and was among those children in the famous Vietnam children’s lift. Another family member, Chinese, born in Vietnam, with a Vietnamese name, and his brother swam more than 12 miles out to sea to boats to escape while they were in their pre-teens and early teens. The family member who is alive, married, and has children, saw his brother drown before his eyes before they were “rescued.”

I was stationed at Travis Air Force Bsse in 1969 and 1970.

A funny thing about Asians-Orientals, without government largess or preferred group status hand outs or tickets to the front of the line ahead of everyone without earning their way, Asians-Orientals outperform everyone else in SAT scores, soholastic achievement, College Entrance to Graduation Rates, Preferred Credit History, Work history, etc.

Israel has the highest percentage residents who have college degrees, and advanced degrees in science, etc.

Asians-Orientals and Caucasians are often the brunt of disrespect, reverse discrimination, etc., yet Asians-Orientals outperform those who discriminate against them and who try to obstruct them, while Israel is often demonized, yet outperform many of their detractors.

William2006 on September 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM

William2006 on September 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Well said.

oldoldbabs on September 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM

William2006 on September 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Thank you for sharing your family’s history, William2006!

If anybody else wants to learn more about the experience of the Vietnamese people in 1975, rent the movie Journey From the Fall http://www.journeyfromthefall.com/

As Americans, we should all have a better understanding of how hard people in other countries have fought for the freedom that we so often take for granted.

I dare Rep. Loretta Sanchez to call Van Tran “anti-immigrant” after watching Journey From the Fall.

wren on September 22, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I like Vietnamese. They make excellent coffee. But I don’t go visit Vietnamese Coffee Shops for the coffee :D

El_Terrible on September 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

So Obama and Sanchez are re-fighting the Vietnamese war?

holdfast on September 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

“I can see the Vietnamese from my house!”

liberty0 on September 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Asians Americans will not take kindly to this….Neither
will Asian nationals either….and their a lot of them.

dec5 on September 22, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Asians Americans will not take kindly to this….Neither
will Asian nationals either….and there is a lot of them.

dec5 on September 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Racist skank.

Jaibones on September 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Let’s not forget what the DemonRats did to Vietnam and SE Asia in 1975. Millions died in South Vietnam and Cambodia.

Bad things happen when they get power…

2ipa on September 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM

My name is Inigo Montoya.

greggriffith on September 23, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Diabolita

Schadenfreude on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Every day I bless the moment my foot went over that California state line. And, yes, the water does have something in it. It’s called mendacity.

Mae on September 23, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Mae on September 23, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Which way were you headed.

swamp_yankee on September 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM

El_Terrible on September 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

No one outside California probably knows what you’re referring to :p Still have to go visit one of these coffee shops.

Apologetic California on September 23, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I call on every member of the Democratic Congress to denounce this radical racist. Her words could start a race war. Unbecoming and shameful for a sitting congress person to subject the vietnamese people in her district with such hatred.

TN Mom on September 23, 2010 at 12:52 AM

“I can see the Vietnamese from my house!”

liberty0 on September 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

ummmm…so can I. A Vietnamese family lives next door, and another across the street.

Fighton03 on September 23, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I did catch the “muy” in there . . . . pretty sad stuff all right!

Sherman1864 on September 23, 2010 at 1:44 AM

remember, Vietnam was one of the few countries which favored McCain over Obama.

Who do we want coming to our country again? Mexican nationals who preach that “the borders crossed us, long live Aztlan!” nonsense, or people who are drawn here not because they feel it is owed to them, but because believe in the American dream?

Daemonocracy on September 23, 2010 at 2:32 AM

No hablo bigot.

Lockstein13 on September 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM

It’s always been funny to me as your average White boy. If I’m a typical white male and automatically racist, why do no Asian nationalities, no African immigrants, no Native Americans, no European nationalities ever accuse me of being a racist? It only seems to be Americans of African descent and some general hispanic(La Raza{the Race})groups.

As with any great mystery involving tension between right and left in this country, I always find the answers to the mystery with one corollary: FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

adamsmith on September 23, 2010 at 7:38 AM

She accuses Tran of being anti-immigrant? Excuse me?

She’s talking about illegal aliens, not immigrants.

With these La Raza race-baiter types, anyone who opposes illegal immigration is “anti-immigrant.”

AZCoyote on September 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Eine sehr verrückte Frau.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Ja! Das stimmt!

Rudemeister on September 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Völlig einverstanden mit euch beiden.

Lourdes on September 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

No hablo bigot.

Lockstein13 on September 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Hahahaha…

Lourdes on September 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Maybe she should ask John Kerry to help campaign for her. He has experience in fighting the Vietnamese.

jeffn21 on September 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM

juliesa on September 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I hate racists. The only thing that’s helping soothe my anger is the money I just sent to Tran. juliesa on September 23, 2010 at 9:01 AM

She can’t be a racist, she’s a democrat you dumb gringo!

Akzed on September 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Will MSNBCABCCBSNBCNYTWAPOLATETC incessantly ask Obooba, Pelosi, and Reid to disavow this remark?

Akzed on September 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM

She’s doing what dems do best, divide us up into special little groups all the better for them to control.

Kissmygrits on September 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Am I the only one who thinks long nails scraping on a chalkboard is sweet music compared to that whiny voice?

How can anyone listen to her and not want to slap her solely on that long, drawn-out whine?

Shambhala on September 23, 2010 at 10:35 AM

More than any other comment, Rep. Loretta Sanchez clearly shows U.S. that, despite their rhetoric, show that Demoncrates are true racists.

This is evidenced via her comments that drew clear lines that Latino’s good and Vietnamese bad, throughout. Latino’s bring the District dollardependendency.

While, the Vietnamese will bring a work ethic extolling how working hard and not wasting effort creates an environment where a self-sustaining economic base makes the District a place that all its citizens want to live, work, raise a family, and have the capacity to pass on that wealth to their family.

MSGTAS on September 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Loretta Sanchez was once a Republican but changed parties to run as a democrat. She ran against Bob Dornan and won by a small margin of votes. I believe that some of the votes were tossed because of non-citizens voting. This is just another example how the democrat party will use race to divide people. They will call others racists and accuse others of homophobia,islamophobia and when in fact,they are all of the above. I am sure that the Asian community will come out and vote this racist out of Office.

flintstone on September 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Wow, just wow. She needs to be taken down.

AsianGirlInTights on September 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Have they seen your picture? If they have why whould they want your seat?

Wade on September 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM

the Vietnamese and the Republicans are–with an intensity (emphasis hers)–trying to take away this seat, this seat that we [Democrats] have done so much for our community, take away this seat from us and give it to this Van Tran, who’s very anti-immigrant and very anti-Latino.

Since Van Tran is an immigrant, I doubt that he is anti-immigrant. Perhaps she meant anti-illegal immigrant? Shouldn’t we all be against illegality?

Let’s break down her statement: Her seat belongs to Democrat latinos. Latino and illegal immigrant issues are of paramount importance to her and the Democratic party. Everyone else and their issues apparently don’t even merit a mention.

Racism is a cruel, unthinking bias, and I’ve always found racists to be exceptionally stupid and cruel.

theCork on September 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM

The Vietnamese in Orange County are rabid anticommunists. I love ‘em!

Blake on September 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Didi mau, fea!

Christien on September 23, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Isn’t this the Sanchez that planned a DNC fundraiser, at the Playboy Mansion a number of years ago? Nutter-butter.

sinsing on September 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I hope this helps motivate voters in the area to dump this hag. Vote for Tran!

FloatingRock on September 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM

In 2003 Loretta Brixey (nee Sanchez) got involved in an intimate relationship with her former military escort and current homeland security and defense lobbyist, John (Jack) P. Einwechter. She started taking lot of taxpayer-funded overseas trips with him. That led to her divorce in 2005. There have been a lot of questions about how much influence here defense lobbyist boyfriend wields over her vote.

theCork on September 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Eine sehr verrückte Frau.

Ja! Das stimmt!

Völlig einverstanden mit euch beiden

Danke schön! Danke!

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The most appreciative and patriotic American I know is a LEGAL Vietnamese immigrant, who — along with her husband, an officer in the South Vietnamese Air Force at the time — escaped from from Vietnam in a rowboat when Saigon fell to the Communists… lest they be executed or “reeducated.”

They were, in fact, captured… but bribed the North Vietnamese soldiers, getting out with only the clothes on their back. When they were finally rescued by U.S. sailors, were so many refugees on board that they had to push helicopters off the decks of aircraft carriers to make room for them all.

Today, she runs her own small business in San Diego, pays her taxes, and works her butt off for her customers. No one I’ve ever met loves America more than she does.

And Loretta Sanchez says the Vietnamese are “stealing” her seat? Sounds like her 15 minutes are up.

VastRightWingConspirator on September 23, 2010 at 12:30 PM

This is not Loretta Sanchez’s seat.

This is not a Latino seat.

This is the People’s seat.

panzerkardinal on September 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Wow, read the reader comments at the OCWeekly link. They don’t like her there, either. At least one points out that she basically does nothing (doesn’t sponsor legislation, in DC, except warm the seat and push the voting buttons. And another actually quotes P.J. O’Rourke.

And it’s hilarious, her calling a Vietnamese guy “anti-immigrant”. Her time is up.

Ward Cleaver on September 23, 2010 at 12:59 PM

TN Mom on September 23, 2010 at 12:52 AM

I’m so glad you felt the same way when the Ground Zero Mosque and the burning of the Koran was in the news a few weeks ago. (sarc)

Jimbo3 on September 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Imagine the media frenzy if a white Republican had said that the blacks and the democrats are trying to take my seat…

…but no media outcry with Loretta Sanchez.

Sounds like media bias to me.

Conservative Samizdat on September 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM

“YOUR SEAT”?

You mean that thing called an A$$ you’ve been sitting on all these years?

byteshredder on September 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Jimbo3 on September 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I’m glad you’re willing to defend a professed racist like Sanchez, Jimbo, by changing the subject. Do you, like her, hate and fear Vietnamese-Americans?

theCork on September 23, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Rep Sanchez losing HER SEAT would be yummy…

PASS THE PUDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Khun Joe on September 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Oh yah, a guy named Van Tran is anti-immigrant. Lady, I think you’re anti-immigrant, the ones who don’t look or talk like you.

Mojave Mark on September 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Du ma may di2 nqua

phillyrepub on September 24, 2010 at 3:45 AM

She would have been better off simply fading into the limelight. Now she’s gonna get stomped, and whine until January.
They really are entitled aren’t they?

docjohn52 on September 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Racist!

wi farmgirl on September 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Just watch out for what you get–still scratching our heads over Cao down here in NOLA. We might’ve been better off re-electing $Bill, since he would have been removed by conviction and replaced by a Jindal appointee, at least until a special election could be held. Trading demoncrats for RINOs isn’t very satisfying at all.

Ay Uaxe on September 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM