Video: Hitchens on “Everybody Pray for Hitchens Day”

posted at 9:15 pm on September 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

We should mark the occasion, partly because this is a rare instance of believers and infidels being kinda sorta united in a spiritual cause and partly because, from the sound of things, he might not have much time left. A grim detail buried way down in the AP’s write-up of its interview with him:

The cancer that began in Hitchens’ esophagus already has spread into the lymph nodes in his neck, and he fears it has reached a lung. He’s visibly tired after a book signing and luncheon appearance and says he needs to rest, even though resting seems like such a waste of time when so little time may be left.

Already into his fourth round of chemotherapy, which he is receiving every three weeks, Hitchens says it’s difficult to gauge his eventual legacy. He hopes to be remembered with affection by some; with passion by others; and hopefully as a good father by his three children.

As for his work, Hitchens says he would be happy to be recalled simply as one of those “who are attempting to uphold reason and science against superstition.”

Watching the vid, it struck me that he looks a bit now like Gore Vidal, who may or may not have once described Hitch as his literary heir before Hitchens righteously destroyed him for being a lowlife Truther and McVeigh apologist. If you’re inclined to pray, now’s the time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dear Hitch,

I loved you even when I hated you! I love your contrarian attitude; I love your intellectual honesty, and your humor. I love most that you cannot resist popping a bubble anytime you see one rising up filled with the hot air of the ideologue.

Rest when you can, do what you must; you will be sorely missed and well remembered!

Sincerely,

Huge Hitch Fan

mountainaires on September 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM

As much as I disagree and frankly dislike this man, I and the world will miss him. We as believers need this type of man to keep us sharp. I hope he pulls through. God Bless you sir.

Vaporman87 on September 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I disagree with Hitchens on several subjects – notably Henry Kissinger, Barack Obama (in 2008 he endorsed him) and Israel -however I hope that by some miracle he recovers his health. He is a good guy to have on your side in a debate.

Hilts on September 21, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Hitch, if and when he goes, will find that god IS there indeed, and, god is not a prick. He´ll have a laugh – both of them.

james hooker on September 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Hitch is a great keeper of the Enlightenment flame in these dark corridors of postmodernism. And I’ll always remember him fondly for giving the finger to Bill Maher’s audience.

JerseyJeff on September 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Love the guy. He is the ultimate Gadfly and must be saved.

Kuffar on September 21, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Hitch sums up his life as being all about how he will be remembered by us and by his children. How sad that there is nothing more. The years continue to tick by, and soon enough all of us will be gone, and his children and anyone who knew his children or him will be but dust. In short, what kind of meaning is there in being remembered fondly by those who themselves are passing away? A depressing thought, but such is the predicament of any man who thinks this is all there is. It is precious little, and short-lived at that.

The truth of the matter is that man was created for much more than these few troubled years. Even though it sounds like wishful thinking, it also happens to be true. My favorite quote from Jesus: come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. As to the hereafter, Jesus had a lot to say. For those made spiritually alive he said, “I go to prepare a place for you that where I am, you may be also. If it were not so I would have told you.”

There is a whole lot more to life than just chance, happenstance and meaninglessness. I hope Hitchens allows himself to leave his fortress of unbelief and step out into that brave new world.

gajaw999 on September 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM

So this alleged “God” is to be petitioned to cure Hitch? Wouldn’t this alleged “God” be the one who gave him cancer in the first place? Good luck with that. Maybe Santa can help. He doesn’t give people cancer.

deewhybee on September 21, 2010 at 1:46 AM

You’re not good at this sort of game — you need a little more sneering condescension and non-sequiturs to make your little anti-God screed work.

Try again.

Richard Romano on September 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM

He may pull through it still.

joshlbetts on September 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

deewhybee on September 21, 2010 at 1:46 AM

That’s the thing, God isn’t Santa Clause. He always answers prayers, but that doesn’t mean the answer is always yes. And cancer has a scientific cause, most likely in Hitch’s case, cigs and alcohol. I don’t know if God gave him cancer or if this is just the consequences of hard living (sin means that we have to live with our own bad choices), but what I do know is that God can heal him as he has healed thousands before him.

You don’t have to believe it, but mocking it, especially when someone is on death’s door, is extremely childish and not a product of reasoned debate.

When even Hitch is just giving thanks for the kind gesture, it might be a sign that you’re a little unhinged.

I’ve been hoping, which is really the same thing as praying

RightOFLeft on September 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM

It’s really not, even if you don’t accept that our prayers are being heard by someone. When you hope, you accept that it’s nothing more than hope, but when we pray, we do not, and as Hitchens even said, our perception of things does make a difference.

As to the topic, I think it’s a great idea, and I’m glad that Hitchens accepts these prayers as a positive. If I remember, I’ll participate. There’s something to be said for a large chorus of prayers.

Esthier on September 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I hope even if you only believe that prayer is the positive thoughts of your fellow beings– I hope that you will feel the love of our prayers. You are our brother, even if you do not want to be.

When the cares and pride of this world are stripped away by death, continue to seek truth, it is not too late.

Go with God brother.

petunia on September 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I feel sorry for the guy, but all the people he’s turned against their maker and forever convinced to reject redemption makes it impossible to pray that he finds that kind of reconciliation. I sincerely hope there are believers here of greater gospel inspiration than myself who can do so.

abobo on September 20, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Everyone is responsible for their own relationship with God. His was a voice that may have caused doubt, but we are never tempted beyond our ability to resist.

His atheism would never be more than one factor in someone else’s choice.

petunia on September 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM

What is extremely childish is denying mortality and pretending there’s some big daddy in the sky who is going to make things all better if you ask him nicely.

Why do people deny “God’s” hand when someone gets cancer but credit it if there is a recovery? Either “God” is running the show or it isn’t. It’s self-delusional and egotistical to think you can get an exemption from the laws of nature just because you grovel.

deewhybee on September 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I want to scream at him. I want to shake him. I want him to know he’s going to feel the wrath of a just and holy God unless he repents. I want to cry at his feet. I want to beg him to turn from his sin. I want to pump him with medicine to prolong his life to delay the inevitable.

But he chooses to rebel instead.

Oh how wreched this thing we call our free will is. It really is not free at all but a slave. A slave to our fallen nature. A slave to sin.

LORD, BREAK HIS WILL WITH MERCY HE DOESN’T DESERVE. SHOW HIM HIS WRECHED STATE. EXPOSE YOUR HOLINESS TO HIM BEFORE HE DIES SO THAT HE FEARS YOU AND REPENTS. SHOW HIM YOUR LOVING GRACE. ACCEPT HIM AS YOUR OWN. LET HIM KNOW THAT YOUR SON BORE YOUR WRATH ON THE CROSS SO THAT SINNERS LIKE HIM CAN STAND BEFORE YOU CLEAN. OH, GOD LET HIM STAND BEFORE YOU CLEAN.

I like Hitchens. This makes me very sad.

shick on September 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Mr. Hitchens is correct to point out that each of us is on our way to the grave. We could die today, this very hour or minute.

However, he does not admit that he (like each of us) is accountable to God for his sins, and that his sins will eternally separate him from God, because no unholiness can be in God’s presence. The good news is that he (like each of us) is free to accept Jesus’ payment for his sins, which was made on the cross. That requires his acceptance of Jesus as his God and Savior, and as the Lord of the rest of his days.

No doubt many people have witnessed to him that “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). “Whosoever” includes Mr. Hitchens, you and me. I’m going to Heaven when I die — not because I’m sinless or perfect, but because Jesus paid the price for all of my sins on the cross. I’ve gratefully accepted His incredibly generous gift. How about you?

KyMouse on September 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM

deewhybee on September 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I’m not sure how to continue this without being extremely insulting, because it looks as though your understanding of God and Christianity could only be charitably be described as shallow.

If there’s any pretending, it’s on your part. You can’t prove that nothing happens after we die, whereas the evidence that this life is the shortest portion of our lives is overwhelming.

There’s no, “making everything better” scenario. As I already said, God isn’t Santa Clause. He doesn’t grant wishes or act as your limited understanding of a daddy. Anyone who says so has as much an understanding of Christianity and God as you do.

In the sense that God can control everything, cancer is within his control. The Bible speaks of him bringing a flood, but that doesn’t mean that every single time it rains it’s because of God. The Earth needs rain. It’s a natural product of sun and bodies of water. God can make you wet your pants, but sometimes, if you do, it’s just because you had too much to drink.

The worst thing God will do is not punish us for our sins, as it means that we will continue living in sin and eventually face the consequences of doing so.

That’s biblical. As is free will, as early as Genesis. Clearly God didn’t make Eve take a bite of the fruit. God likewise didn’t make the Romans execute him. These are choices, ones mankind has to live with.

You may disagree with it, but you’re not even presenting the theology correctly.

Esthier on September 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Go in peace, Hitch – “Well done, good and faithful servant”. I hope that whatever the outcome, there isn’t any pain or suffering.

“Come unto me all ye who are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” – whether you believe or not, hopefully that thought will give some comfort…..

TeresainFortWorth on September 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Enough Hitch….nothing is more boring than a rampaging atheist.Let’s keep our Hitch prayers to ourselves!

And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward Matt. 6:5-6

wraithby on September 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

But he chooses to rebel instead.

I like Hitchens. This makes me very sad.

shick on September 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Do you feel that way about all non-Christains who are dying or just those who reject all religion?

Just curious about all the Christains here who are praying for him to convert…do you do the same to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddist who are on deaths doors…are they “rebels” as well?

Pablo Honey on September 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I think you and I differ on the meaning of the word “overwhelming” and “evidence”.

Pablo Honey on September 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Pablo Honey on September 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Pablo: the exclusivity of Christ’s claims are what has made Christianity objectionable to the world from the beginning. But think about it– if there were another way to gain salvation other than through the cross, would not God be horrendous to allow his Son to suffer such a horrible death? Christians were fed to the lions, and Paul put to death because of refusal to bow the knee to Caesar and hold to Christ alone. When I look at Jesus, his work, and the superiority of his teachings and sacrifice, I have no problem lining up with him. And this belief in Christ as the only way is why Christians have forsaken all and gone to all ends of the earth to spread God’s message of grace.

gajaw999 on September 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM

TeresainFortWorth on September 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM

But Mr. Hitchens refuses to “come unto” Jesus, and therefore he is not Jesus’ good and faithful servant. Jesus’ warning to Mr. Hitchens is found in John 5:40 (“you will not come to Me, that you might have eternal life”) and in John 3:18: “He who believes in [Me] is not condemned; but he who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”

I’m sure Mr. Hitchens wouldn’t like me to quote from Pope Benedict XVI (by the way, I’m not Catholic), but earlier today I came across the following quotation. I think it sums up part of the dilemma that atheists face:

“…[At] the very heart of sin lies human beings’ denial of their creatureliness, inasmuch as they refuse to accept the standard and the limitations that are implicit in it. They do not want to be creatures, do not want to be subject to a standard, do not want to be dependent. They consider their dependence on God’s creative love to be an imposition from without…Human beings who consider dependence on the highest love as slavery and who try to deny the truth about themselves, which is their creatureliness, do not free themselves; they destroy truth and love. They do not make themselves gods, which in fact they cannot do, but rather caricatures, pseudo-gods, slaves of their own abilities, which then drag them down.”

Mr. Hitchens still has time to accept Jesus’ payment for his sins on the cross. I hope and pray that he will do so, because I want him to enjoy the same forgiveness that Jesus has given me.

KyMouse on September 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM

deewhybee on September 21, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Let’s see. If, by your logic, “God” gave Hitch cancer, then I would say that petitioning “God” to take it away would be a good thing.

In any case, this is a weak tea attempt to refute Pascal’s Wager, and it won’t work. Sooner or later, we die, and then we are either Judged — or not. Hitch will see, as will you and all the rest of us.

As for Santa, we don’t know what Hitch found in his stocking as a kid — a lump of coal might be the reason he’s an atheist!

unclesmrgol on September 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM

gajaw999 on September 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Romans 2:11:

11 There is no favouritism with God.
12 All those who have sinned without the Law will perish without the Law; and those under the Law who have sinned will be judged by the Law.
13 For the ones that God will justify are not those who have heard the Law but those who have kept the Law.
14 So, when gentiles, not having the Law, still through their own innate sense behave as the Law commands, then, even though they have no Law, they are a law for themselves.
15 They can demonstrate the effect of the Law engraved on their hearts, to which their own conscience bears witness; since they are aware of various considerations, some of which accuse them, while others provide them with a defence . . . on the day when,
16 according to the gospel that I preach, God, through Jesus Christ, judges all human secrets.

unclesmrgol on September 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Pablo Honey on September 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Well of course I feel differently about different people in general. But it is true that it saddens me to see anyone die rejecting God whether he be an atheist, budhist, or an alleged christian. I have read and listened to enough of Hitchens that to a degree I can say I know him. I don’t know him perhaps as well as some of his family or closest friends but I know a bit of him. Part of what I know, I like. Other parts, I don’t.

Christians pray for the salvation of unbelievers of all perspectives because we know that we once were children of wrath or rebels. We were all rebels at birth. I’ll quote a bit from the Gospel of John that KyMouse ended with.

In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.”

“How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!”

Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” – John 3:3-8

God will do the work in a person’s heart that he/she cannot do themself.

“They will return to it and remove all its vile images and detestable idols. I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God. – Ezekiel 11:18-20

shick on September 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM

If it is to be Hitch, why not go kick that pos galloways ass one more time

it still wouldn’t be a fight

Sonosam on September 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM