O’Donnell nearing $2 million mark since winning primary

posted at 2:55 pm on September 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If Christine O’Donnell’s supporters are worried about the eleven-year-old video released by Bill Maher last week in which the Delaware nominee for the Senate talked about “witchcraft,” they’re not demonstrating it where it counts: the bank account.  Since winning the primary six days ago, O’Donnell has gone on a fundraising tear, nearing what Scott Brown raised in Massachusetts earlier this year in his special election effort:

Since upsetting party-backed Rep. Mike Castle (R-Del.) in Delaware’s GOP Senate primary Tuesday, Christine O’Donnell has raised nearly $2 million online.

A source with knowledge of the campaign’s online fundraising operation said that not only is the money is coming in as fast as it did for Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) ahead of his special election, but that O’Donnell’s raising money online at a pace that’s two to three times faster than Sharron Angle in Nevada after her win in the primary.

A week before his special election with Democrat Martha Coakley in Massachusetts, Brown raised $1.3 million online in a single day with some 16,000 individual donors.

O’Donnell’s campaign said Friday that it expects to surpass the $2 million mark sometime this weekend and said some 30,000 donors have given since her primary win Tuesday.

The Boss Emeritus had plenty to say this weekend about the “witchcraft” clip and how the media portrayed it:

At 1:03 in the video, one of the panelists on the show criticizes O’Donnell for criticizing Halloween — “Wait a minute, I love this, you’re a witch, you go ‘Halloween is bad,’ I’m not the witch, I mean wait a minute.” She responds by explaining that she opposes it because she has had first-hand experience with what they do.

So, she tried it. She rejected it. And she learned from it. …

She has nothing to be ashamed of — except, perhaps, for going on Maher’s show so many times. He promises to release 22 more clips until she sits down with him in front of the cameras and brags, in typical TV chauvinist fashion, that he “created her” and that she “owe[s]” him.

Ignore the Hollywood attention troll. Focus on the campaign, the voters of Delaware, and the bearded Marxist opponent who’s the real out-of-touch extremist in the race.

This comes from eleven years ago, and O’Donnell was talking about an incident from high school.  Clearly, she was talking about Wicca (and perhaps misunderstanding it a bit as well), a religion that liberals (and a few conservatives, too) fought to get recognized by the VA for military headstones.  It’s about as relevant as Dungeons and Dragons, and as threatening as well.  It seems that donors have a better sense of perspective than some in the media.

The real magic in this race appears to be O’Donnell’s, and it’s not due to witchcraft.

Comments

She is a human with the brain of a mouse. We really need to stop this cross breeding.

lexhamfox on September 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for giving it your best shot.
Bet you got a lot of “showing up” trophies when you were in school.

massrighty on September 20, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on September 20, 2010 at 8:27 PM

For accuracy’s sake, I should say I don’t know that 0bamessiah’s drug usage was felonious; I should have said potentionally felonious instead.

FIFM

Bizarro No. 1 on September 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

bring up 0bamessiah’s past felonious dealing with drugs, and point out that the people who voted for him didn’t hold that against him, and ask them why they care so much that she did something silly

It’s more weird than silly. Most people did some sort of drugs in college when young or know someone with an addiction problem. Most don’t know someone who had a date on a satanic alter. This, along with things like the masturbation nonsense will pile up and all anyone will remember about such stories is she’s a nut.

kit9 on September 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

The real magic in this race appears to be O’Donnell

She’s A Witch! burn her!

She turned me into a newt
I got better.

BDU-33 on September 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on September 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

When is cocaine use not a felony?

Really Right on September 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM

kit9 on September 20, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I don’t agree that it’s more weird than silly. If she had participated in some ritual, then I’d agree with you. I do agree with you that her masturbation obsession was weird though.

She reminds me of one of my brothers who is also a self-appointed spokesperson for God, and he is completely incapable of rationally discussing why he cares so much what other people do in their private sex lives. Listening to those people, I guess God doesn’t like kissing if it leads to sexual arousal outside of marriage. That might lead to sin, and we need to prevent that at all costs!

Bizarro No. 1 on September 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM

When is cocaine use not a felony?

Really Right on September 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I, like you, figured it was, but I went and looked it up after my post. In some states, like NY, mere possession is only a misdemeanor.

Back when our 0bamessiah was using, maybe it was felonious. I didn’t care enough to look that up. Even if it wasn’t, what she did wasn’t illegal like his usage was.

Bizarro No. 1 on September 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I’d love to know how you clowns would judge a Dem candidate with a amazing video past like O’Donnell’s…

Dave Rywall on September 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM

We’d be arguing that he showed Obama’s terrible judgement for a VP choice, Canuck Kid.

ebrown2 on September 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM

She turned me into a newt
I got better.

BDU-33 on September 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM

She turned you into a Fat Elvis? I’d sue…

2ipa on September 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM

She turned Rove into a toad…

He hasn’t gotten better.

ebrown2 on September 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I’ve known some Wiccans, a couple followers of the Old Norse gods, a couple of self-professed Druids, a non-denominational Pagan or several, and a lady who claimed to be descended from a “long line of weather-workers.” I’ve also known Catholics, Baptists, Hindus, Methodists, Lutherans, and Mormons.

Most of them, I wouldn’t have qualms about leaving my kids with for an afternoon.

Do we have major differences on the nature of Ultimate Reality? Sure. (Do I pray that they’ll see the light? I try to remember to….)

Do we have major differences on the proper role and scope of government? Probably.

Do our differences on the proper role and scope of government line up with our differences on the nature of Ultimate Reality?

Not so much.

skydaddy on September 20, 2010 at 11:27 PM

So what do Wiccans think of all this?

darwin on September 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM

What she described doesnt sound like Wicca.

And whats the problem? Wicca is a bigger religion in the UK than Judaism

Hope on September 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Meh, if I lived there; I’d vote O’Donnell. Even if I believed the comments from a decade ago were relevant.

On one hand, a “ex?-witch” who beleives masturbation is bad… and wants to reduce the size of the federal government.

On the other hand a “bearded Marxist”.

Which one is more likely to vote against my interests as a member of Congress. I must have missed the “ban all masturbation” bills going through congress due to the massive spending bills getting all the attention.

I can’t imagine I’d agree with her on much of anything; but on the things that will actually come to a vote in D.C. that she could potentially affect; we seem more likely to be in agreement than I would be with the Marxist.

gekkobear on September 21, 2010 at 3:58 AM

She’ll want to make the most of the which-chay woe-mun thing. Maybe practice twitching her nose like Samantha in Bewtiched. Turn it to her advantage. She won’t alienate many evangelicals. It’s Delaware. Lock in that pagan slacker vote.

curved space on September 21, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Oh goodness, people are just a lot smarter than pundits realize. Even though he edited to clip to take away the context of her answer, you could “hear” it anyway.

Nobody was fooled.

AnninCA on September 21, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Didn’t Hillary hold seances where she actually spoke to Eleanor Roosevelt? That is serious stuff compared to Christine O’Donnell’s teenage “play” witchery. Besides I’d vote for a conservative witch over a Marxist boob anytime,

MaiDee on September 21, 2010 at 7:03 AM

lexhamfox on September 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Let’s start with your parents.

fossten on September 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Unexplained goo, vortexes, and headless chickens for all Dems! In my book she is WIN/WIN!

Coronagold on September 21, 2010 at 8:08 AM

$2 million!

NASCAR runs at Dover this Sunday. Hope we see Christine drop the green or give the command.

eyesky on September 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM

mizflame98 on September 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM

It’s Magic

eyesky on September 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

When my father (ex-marine) passed away, we were given a choice of what kind of relgious symbol to put on his headstone.

Available Emblems of Belief for Placement on Government Headstones and Markers

Symbol number 37 is the WICCA (Pentacle). So if the US military has no problem with it, why should anyone else?

mechkiller_k on September 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM