Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on September 19, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Time to get your priorities in order and your facts straight, because it’s time once again to pick the Obamateurism of the Week.  We don’t close these polls until the timing is right, but we close them by Monday regardless, so make your choices now.  Some of you want an “all of the above” option each week.  Hey, I feel your pain, which is why I’m going to spend my Sunday not thinking about it at all.  After all, we don’t want people talking about these all week long, which is why we, er, talk about them every Sunday.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

He’s going to really feel some pain in November!

50sGuy on September 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Feel your pain was just a joke! It does show what an empty suit the Sun King is. Let’s all watch BHO play Slick Willy (poorly). Clinton was more believable.

EliTheBean on September 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I’d feel better if Obama would bite his lower lip every once in awhile.

SlaveDog on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

The Koran burning remarks — because the surest way not to draw attention to a nut is to have the President of the United States make a point of talking about the nut.

Barry’s “brilliance” on display once again.

AZCoyote on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

he speaks , he lies

ELMO Q on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Bill Clinton was the best politician of our age. Bambi is not in that league.

kelley in virginia on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

EliTheBean on September 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I can’t wait for the lip-biting and finger-wagging.

“I did not adopt the ideas of that man, Karl Marx.”

Kafir on September 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM

His stand on the First Amendment wins for me. If you can call that a stand. Maybe a pretzel stand. Within a week to take two different views of basically the same situation is breathtaking.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I’d feel better if Obama would bite his lower lip every once in awhile.

SlaveDog on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I wish he’d pull his lower lip up over his head and swallow. (h/t Walter Mathau)

darwin-t on September 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Ed how about Barack Obama dropping “that are endowed by our Creator” from the Declaration of Independence in a speech he gave this past week.

unseen on September 19, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Ed,
Its unfair that your poll is THE Obamateurism of the Week – I mean this guy fumbles the ball so badly, so many times it is so hard to narrow them down to the biggest fumble of them all.

I give up. I cannot really measure how bad Obama was last week or the weeks before.

nagee76 on September 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Bill Clinton was the best politician of our age. Bambi is not in that league.

kelley in virginia on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Maybe your age but he has nothing on a real president named Ronald Reagan. Clinton was a lying philandering scumbag and the only thing he has to hang his hat on was welfare reform that was shoved up his ask.

darwin-t on September 19, 2010 at 9:20 AM

It’s really not his staff’s fault that they cannot sync his attempted faux personna changes with the reality of his social calendar. After all, how many of us mere mortals can function effectively if we’re staring at the brilliant sun every other minute?

ya2daup on September 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM

@AZCoyote,
Ditto… thats what i voted for too… but apparently we are in a minority, atleast for now.

nagee76 on September 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I feel pain every day I wake up and Obaka is POTUS. Does he feel the same?

ladyingray on September 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Ed, you didn’t mention this. It’s the Obamateurism of the Week, IMO.

Barack Obama dropped “that are endowed by our Creator” from the Declaration of Independence in a speech he gave this past week.

This was reprehensible for a President.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

He’s going to really feel some pain in November!

50sGuy on September 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I’m hoping that in November Obama and Dems get a lot of black to go with their blue. I want not only pain but the black and blue marks to go with it.

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2010 at 9:24 AM

***

This was reprehensible for a President.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

It probably deserves a new category: outrage or disgrace of the week.

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM

How about his re-wording the preamble of the Declaration of Independence to omit from whom our inalienable rights come?

powerpro on September 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Can’t be burnin those Korans they’s Obamas’ instructions!

dhunter on September 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Every week it is so hard to choose. He is so un-American.

djj on September 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM

FEEL YOUR PAIN; clear winner this week…..

The idiot tells us he feels our pain just after he flew his effing dog on a separate jet to his vacation site. I fight really hard to not allow the horrible emotion of hatred to enter into my spirit; it is an evil emotion and is very hard to contain… Truth is, I’m fighting hatred of this man and his anti-American wife on a daily basis. These two should rot in a jail cell for the rest of their lives.

Keemo on September 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

AZCoyote on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Yeah, I went with the Koran burning as well. The remark made my blood boil because POTUS shouldn’t be going after a citizen within his rights, but it showed he either just doesn’t “get” things (he was giving the guy attention after saying that he shouldn’t get attention) or he is hypocritical — either way, it’s ridiculous.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Keemo on September 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Hatred isn’t evil when you’re Christian (not sure you are, just that I am). Christians are to “love good and hate evil” and Obama is evil. God’s into “righteous anger”, too. Thank Heavens, or I’d be in trouble, lol!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

global climatic disruption” cause by “federal government disruption.”

Your government is now run by a bunch of intelligent idiots.

J_Crater on September 19, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Obowma “feels our pain” from the suffering his policies have caused? I doubt eating Waygu beef, pizza chefs and ingredients flown in from St. Louis, golfing every weekend, vacations every month, arugula, weekly White House parties, concerts, trips overseas, Spain outings ALL ON OUR DIME cause this narcissistic megalomaniac ANY pain.

Not enough pain to put down his golf clubs or quit partying anytime soon.

dthorny on September 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM

powerpro on September 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM

We keep harping at him about how many times he says “I” or “me” so, he just figured that he would not mention himself again.

Electrongod on September 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Aslans Girl on September 19, 2010 at 9:40 AM

LOL; good points!

Keemo on September 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I can see November from my house. Focus on the GOTV with all your energy, and Obama, along with his liberal faction will certainly feel our pain.

Rovin on September 19, 2010 at 9:57 AM

According to Drudge, the Obamas went to church this morning (episcopal).

I’d guess they’re is going to try to portary the Obamas as some kind of middle-class mainstream types to counter-act the Martha’s Vineyard vacation (and all the othrr vacations), and the Michelle Antoinette trip to Spain, in part to make the Tea Party look fringe.

Expect more “Obamas are ‘just folks.’”

Wethal on September 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Ruh Roh! Priorities (tailored for the audience and poll numbers) is losing to… everybody. Still, doesn’t it seem amateurish to have a “priority” that shifts based on external pressures rather than priorities that are generated based on the problems that face the republic and its citizens?

ExpressoBold on September 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I voted for “priorities” because the cartoon was cute, and it is sort of an on-going Obamatuerism.

bitsy on September 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM

This was reprehensible for a President.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

You must be mistaken, he’s a Constitutional law perfesser you know.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I’d feel better if Obama would bite his lower lip every once in awhile.

SlaveDog on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I would feel better if he occassionally lowered his chin and stopped looking down his nose at us!

Willie on September 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM

nagee76 on September 19, 2010 at 9:18 AM

You just march your 4th point of contact back to the top of this thread and pick one regardless of how hard it is. You don’t want “us” to look like the amateurs, do you?

I picked “Obama trots out “feel your pain” attempt the day after WH releases his social calendar”. I mean, come on Sir. Even if you hadn’t just had a social calendar released, your family seems to have had a rather nice (and expensive) summer of fun on our dime.

Like I said before, his biggest sacrifice was only playing the front nine one day.

And nagee, no Kobi beef or Champaign for you till you’ve voted.

hawkdriver on September 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM

9.5 or 9.6–translates into a lot of jobs,but I often round numbers off to the nearest half.
Most politicians give whatever issue they’re talking about “top priority”,just not so obviuosly.
Giving the enemy the tools needed to defeat our purpose-not amateur,part of the plan to bring America down.
“I feel your pain”-again,part of the Clenis playbook I refer to often.
Only an effing idiot would say,”don’t look at the person I’m pointing my finger at”–Obamateurism of the week.

DDT on September 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Here’s a suggestion to Barry to stop your ratings spiral. Go to church with your family. Bring an extra large bible so people can see it in your hand as you leave. Oh, wait Axelhole already thought of that.

Caper29 on September 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Only 854 days to go, and you won’t have to feel our pain any more.

GnuBreed on September 19, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I see someone has already mentioned Drudge about Zero’s church visit.

Should Zero sit facing the choir the entire service, dump the collection plate contents into a shopping bag, and have Moochelle tell the garcon / sommelier to send back the communion wine we will know that will count as both Zero’s photo-op and Obamateurism of the week.

viking01 on September 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Ed, you didn’t mention this. It’s the Obamateurism of the Week, IMO.

This was reprehensible for a President.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM

That’s why he’s actually attending a church this morning. It’s nothing but PR.

kingsjester on September 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

had to go with priorities…the man pivots to golfing above all else…

cmsinaz on September 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM

You must be mistaken, he’s a former part-time lecturer on grievance law Constitutional law perfesser you know.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I know you were being facetious slick, but I feel compelled to correct this myth every time I see it. ;)

AZCoyote on September 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I had help this week and I still got it wrong. We went for the unemployment rate. Too dry. We should have gone for the flashy. After all, he can flub the stats any day. Pulling out a hoary old Clinton chestnut is a bigger deal. Can the fifty pound bible be far behind?

azkag on September 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

FEEL YOUR PAIN; clear winner this week…..

Keemo on September 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I agree with you 100% and appreciate Aslans Girl’s biblical references to hating evil. Speaking of the FLOTUS, who doesn’t believe the story of her whining about hating the job of First Lady. These two are flat-out UnAmerican.

PatMac on September 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

It was a toss-up between “feel your pain” and his need to insert himself in the story re the Koran-burning pastor. I agree with those who note the obvious deletion of “endowed by our Creator” in his citing of the Declaration of Independence, but it didn’t make the cutoff deadline.

Internal polls must have indicated the damage that his flub made because the ObaMaos en famille headed off to the nearby St. John’s Episcopal Church for a communion service this morning, accompanied by their bibles.

Here is a refreshing clip from Naked Emperor of Howard Dean telling students how Democrats should and do answer questions and “guide” interviews:

Will the Republicans learn this lesson as they hit the talking-heads’ programs?

onlineanalyst on September 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I’d feel better if Obama would bite his lower lip every once in awhile.

SlaveDog on September 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM

There is this tongue-in-cheek thing that he does instead.

Connie on September 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Come on Folks, you know the rules! Ed hasn’t written about the absence of Creator yet so it can’t be in the weekly contest. Besides it just came out yesterday so it wouldn’t have made the cut. I bet it makes next week for sure.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Too painful!! It is painful to read or listen to any of the mutterings of President Obama.

All of the mistatements and outright lies by Obama pale in comparison to the damage that is being perpetrated by the executive branch with new regulatory schemes and appointments that will haunt the U.S. for decades.

Obamateurisms is cute, but the reality of Obama is a disaster.
LET’S VOTE!!

pilsener on September 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I picked the Koran burning on general principles because Obama screwed the pooch so badly on it. For example, he says building the GZ mosque is a constitutional right, while his admin said burning the Koran is “un-American”. We know where his sympathies lie.

Paul-Cincy on September 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2010 at 10:20 AM

agree, he’ll make it the monday OOTD

cmsinaz on September 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Feel.
Your.
Pain.

GrannyDee on September 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I voted for the priorities, and I’m disappointed to see it doing so poorly.

backwoods conservative on September 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I’m a tad surprised that putting people’s lives in danger with a definite draw-down date hasn’t gained any traction.

OldEnglish on September 19, 2010 at 10:53 AM

“I feel your pain…”

Does anyone think that Pinocchio’s nose will grow as long as the Great Wall of China even before 2012?

mz.josephine on September 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Obama, “There’s so much pain in partying…”

WhoU4 on September 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Will the Republicans learn this lesson as they hit the talking-heads’ programs?

onlineanalyst on September 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM

There’s no reason to act like Howard Dean to be successful! Dean is a low-life, vicious, partisan punk on the order of a Bill Maher when it comes to emotional stability and intellectual honesty. Republicans should turn the question when necessary to prevent sandbagging and fool-making (which is the objective of a lot of “noos” reporters, libs that they are) but should not avoid exposing good, serious, conservative plans for improvement. Everybody knows that Democrats are ruining the country and would like to outlaw the Republican Party just to make their leftist objectives easier.
Sure, Howard Dean is a lightning rod for resentment and anger because he is such a vindictive soul. Can you imagine the thin-skinned vicious behavior of a President Dean? My word, what a catastrophe!

ExpressoBold on September 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I have 250 Korans, 1000 pork ribs, a large barbeque pit, plenty of briquets and wood, and an elephant with paint and canvas trained to paint the prophet Mohammad with pig dung for entertainment…

I want a beer summit or the festivities begin.

and wait until you see the pinata…

Canadian Infidel on September 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Caper29 on September 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Bammie can’t use the Clintonian buy-a-dog strategic move when he gets in trouble because he wasted it. That was a bad move.

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Much too hard to choose this week. Is it just me or is the Event Horizon closing in around him as the Obamateurisms occur with increasing frequency? How long until we reach the singularity and Obama just simply ceases to exist?

That would be change I could believe in!

Pablo Snooze on September 19, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I feel his pain more than he feels mine. It must be terrible to be the grand poobah of narcissism and have such high disapproval rates. Most people I know approve of me just fine.

scalleywag on September 19, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Was this also the week the FLOTUS gave us “regular people” permission to go out to eat from time to time?

We really should start a similar series for Michelle.

Y-not on September 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM

ExpressoBold on September 19, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I hear and understand what you are saying, BUT the “noos interviewers” tend to focus on social issues when they meet with conservatives or Republicans, setting the narrative when, in fact, the out-of-control deficit and spending, expanding government intrusions, and job-growth opportunities in the private sector are much more on the mind of voters. Those conservative or Republican candidates who want to get their message out on the latter issues have to shift the focus of the interview before “time is up”>

onlineanalyst on September 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I feel your pain (NOT!). No wonder so many people hate this elitist poseur. He and Michelle Antoinette are laughing at us.

Philly on September 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM

We really should start a similar series for Michelle.

Y-not on September 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Yeah, she visited an upstate New York farm cooperative whose objective is non-profit (because communes are all the rage, doncha know?) with a bunch of foreign dignitaries. This farm cooperative (community-organizing writ small) provides some of the food for the WH. (I don’t think that it supplies the ice cream that the ObaMaos seem to crave though.) The ObaMaos are such self-righteous hypocrites!

onlineanalyst on September 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Another great week. The jug-eared dope just makes it too easy!

Tim_CA on September 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Bill Clinton was the best politician of our age. Bambi is not in that league.

“Good politician” is not necessarily a positive description. Frank and Jesse Jesse were “good train robbers.” Hell Bells, a punk Chicago street hustler was elected POTUS, if that is not representative of a good politician, I don’t know what is.

Pelayo on September 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I looked at all the entries. I concentrated, really, really hard. I looked again. Couldn’t concentrate anymore.

This is too much, for too long, to be serious anymore.
The emperor wears no clothes. I get it.

I know, I know…..party pooper.

donh525 on September 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM

slickwillie2001 on September 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Heh. Rookie mistake.

I had to go with the unemployment rate, it shows that he really doesn’t care much about the peasants. Close second is the Koran burning pastor. Another in a long line of unforced errors. These guys are just not that good at the politics thing.

2ipa on September 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Pelayo on September 19, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Agree. Being called a good politician is damning with faint praise.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Sort of a banner week, not that any one of these in particular is so eggregious, but this time, every one of them displays the “amateur” trait so well.

You’d think that after almost 2 years, at least he’d be getting a bit less amateurish.

notropis on September 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

8 years of some lying narcissist tell me he felt my pain was enough! I don’t think I can make it through two more.

Gwillie on September 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM

How about the irony of Obama choosing a neighborhood where average home sales price is over $600,000, where current unemployment is 5%, and where average household income is second highest in the nation to talk about “feeling pain”?

Neighborhood = Mantua
Fairfax County, Virginia

Yojimbo on September 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Barack “Painman” Obama.

profitsbeard on September 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM

He can’t “feel our pain” if he gets the unemployment rate wrong.

HellCat on September 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM

He can’t “feel our pain” if he gets the unemployment rate wrong.

HellCat on September 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I suggest thatthe best way for him to feel our pain is to resign.

whbates on September 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Neighborhood = Mantua
Fairfax County, Virginia

Yojimbo on September 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Excellent point! I am familiar with that neighborhood, and it is hardly typical of the average American in terms of housing values, income, or unemployment. I wonder how many of the residents work for the federal government in high-paying positions.

onlineanalyst on September 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM

..gratuitous sidebar comment on the poll picture: his hair is getting grayer and his lips are getting purpler.

At this rate, he’ll look like Grady on Sanford and Son by 2012.

The War Planner on September 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Sorry, but I believe the Obamateurism of the week was his reprehensible omission, at the Hispanic Conference, of the phrase, “by our Creator”. This was so insightful of his beliefs and character that it should be on the top of the charts. For shame for omitting it!

eaglewingz08 on September 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM

According to Drudge, the Obamas went to church this morning (episcopal).

Wethal on September 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM

They went to church today? That means either today is Easter Sunday or the WH is in panic mode.

petefrt on September 19, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Daddy, why are we going to church today?

Daddy, will Uncle Jeremiah be there?

petefrt on September 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM

It probably deserves a new category: outrage or disgrace of the week.

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Yeah, I think there are a lot of things that are way beyond being an Obamateurism.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM

That’s why he’s actually attending a church this morning. It’s nothing but PR.

kingsjester on September 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Oh, wow.

Good PR needs just a wee bit of credibility to prevent it becoming pure farce.

INC on September 19, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Maybe a “He’s The Uniter” contender for NEXT week?

(Translation: “Don’ lets Whitey take aways yo money dats I gives ya!”)

Lockstein13 on September 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM

and wait until you see the pinata…

Canadian Infidel on September 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Not sure why, but I see this becoming a recurring punch line somehow. Maybe cause it’s just so danged funny. Thanks for the laugh, Can-del (abbr.)

Extrafishy on September 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Frankly, I could not pick just one this week.
Ed, can we have an “All of the above” choice?

Bubba Redneck on September 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I’m afraid I have to go with “none of the above” since my choice isn’t on the list. I think his(deliberate?) misquoting of the Declaration of Independence this week is worse than anything on the list.

CJ on September 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

CJ, that happened on Saturday, right? I bet you Ed will put it in next week’s poll because it’s too recent to include on this week’s.

I learned that lesson several weeks ago…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Completely neglected the “Sorry band of men” quote, in reference to the horrendous killers, out-right demons, who flew airplanes into monuments and killed almost 3,000 people.
Made it out, as if they were cartoon creatures. Sort of a laugh, although pesky.

betsyz on September 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM

I learned that lesson several weeks ago…

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Wednesday. But you’re right — it’s up today. So many gaffs, so little time … (Well, so little time to choose just one per day. OTOH, it sure seems like he’s been in office forever. Is it 2012 yet???)

CJ on September 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM