Home Depot founder rips Obama WH as “tenured” academics, apologizes for creating jobs

posted at 4:12 pm on September 17, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

No one in the White House knows how to create jobs, and Bernie Marcus knows why. On CNBC, the founder of Home Depot blasted Barack Obama and his administration as a collection of tenured dilettantes who have never had to meet a payroll in their lives. Greg Hengler offers a couple of juicy excerpts from his appearance, especially when Marcus starts “apologizing” for having created over 300,000 jobs through the kind of entrepeneurship that the current White House wants to discourage:

Lest one think that all Marcus does is complain, he offers a suggestion to Obama to get in touch with the common folk (via RightNetwork):

Admit it — this makes you more inclined to start a new, do-it-yourself home improvement project, doesn’t it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

we need more successful people to come out and say this.

toenail on September 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I hope Mr. Marcus continues to speak out loudly, and often! Hopefully he will be joined by some of his peers.

GFW on September 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Hey! Maybe Obama can show some real intelligence and character and Learn from his Marxist mistakes.

Chip on September 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Sort of related to housing and Home Depot

“Keep Your Powder Dry”: Housing Slump Still Not Over, Says Economist David Levy

A hot topic recently is whether home ownership is still considered the American dream. “Home ownerships should not be purely and investment, it should be something that should make sense for your life,” Levy says. “To our clients interested in acquisitions, our general theme is keep your powder dry. The best opportunities are definitely going to come, but there’s no rush.”

Here

Oil Can on September 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I actually have to go buy some plastic pipe for something this afternoon. I normally would go to Lowes, but this changed my mind!

lizzie beth on September 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM

But as some who considers himself a true conservative, I believe in human rights for all Americans, including homosexuals.

Well, I’ll not say you are not a “true conservative” if you’ll not imply that I am not a “true conservative”. I do like to think of myself as a “true conservative” too Bob, in the mold of the majority of our founding fathers. Glad we’re on, mostly, the same side.

I believe in rights for all Americans too. I do not think that homosexual marriage is Godly though. You are certainly entitled to your opinion on that matter.

We can both probably agree on the other two branches of conservatism though, defense and fiscal. Right now, I’m not in the mood to alienate any branch of conservatism for this election. I want them all voting!

kerrhome on September 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Let’s see, approximately 300k jobs at a cost of 2mil each comes to…oh, wait, that’s the cost of state stimulus jobs.
Wonder what these were?

chewydog on September 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Is this guy from The Home Depot that provides shelters and all sorts of other things for “day laborers” at most locations ?

Maybe this is the guy from The Home Depot that doesn’t sell Christmas Trees. Odd that every year I want to go to one of their locations and see some Christmas Trees, maybe buy one or two for some folks who can’t afford their own…. But some place named Home Depot sells only something called “Holiday Trees”.

I’m just askin’, because I’m just askin’.

E T Cartman on September 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I bet he flew there in his private jet….how DARE he do such a thing.

tommer74 on September 17, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Mr Marcus, who just happened to save the 300,000+ jobs at Home Depot? You should be thanking me.

-Obama

tommer74 on September 17, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I gotta say, he was good. Couldn’t you get some longer clips?

Lonetown on September 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Good grief, no! This summer I’ve fixed two serious plumbing issues, removed two skylights, re-roofed over the room where they used to be, installed and hand-textured a new ceiling in two rooms, replaced two termite-damaged structural members, replaced drywall on three walls, put a level 5 finish on the skimcoat of those walls, created two built-in alcoves from existing pass-throughs, and just today finished priming the walls for an upcoming three-tone paint job.

And besides, I’m a Lowe’s guy.

James on September 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM

There’s always been a disconnect between “academia” and “reality”. Theoriticians can babble on and on in their isolated, protected classrooms indoctrinating the gullible children with their wispy notions and visions of a socialist utopia, but these poor saps are always smacked square between the eyes upon graduation and encountering the real world that’s a whole different animal. Your self-esteem doesn’t mean squat to your competition. Get used to it.

bannedbyhuffpo on September 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Reality is coming! Yay!

Mojave Mark on September 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Bernie is one of the BEST and one of the most generous Americans. He gave the City of Atlanta the new Aquarium. He knows how to make money and what to do with it.

tim c on September 17, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Chip on September 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Apparently you never read the story of the Scorpion and the Frog.

Paraphrasing the point of the story:
“Obama cannot help himself. It is his nature.”

Don’t hold your breath waiting for Obama to “wise up”!!!

landlines on September 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM

And besides, I’m a Lowe’s guy.

James on September 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM

So, whaddya do after lunch?

chewydog on September 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

kerrhome on September 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM

You aren’t alone. Between the sponsorship of ‘gay pride’ (particularly the children’s activity booths) and donations to Planned Parenthood, I can’t be excited about spending money so that he has more to support those agendas.

pannw on September 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Count one voice in support of Pattosensei – education is valuable, good educators are vitally important. Our colleges and universities used to be great, and I hope they will be again someday. History is important. You deserve credit for toughing it out.

Heard the saying “those who can do, those who can’t teach” many times. But consider history, or my field, classical music. People want to know these things, but you can’t make money with them, not really. I can teach privately, play weddings and memorials, but who hires a private history teacher?

jodetoad on September 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM

…never had to meet a payroll in their lives.

At least not from their own resources.

Blaise on September 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM

So, whaddya do after lunch?

chewydog on September 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM

That’s reserved for new siding.

James on September 17, 2010 at 7:13 PM

gotta love this guy! I found the full vid on cnbc.

MechEng5by5 on September 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Well at least I hope his partner’s team kicks butt in the Georgia Dome this Sunday!

radjah shelduck on September 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Obama think Home Depot is where Michelle gets her clothes.

Maybe he’s right.

;)

profitsbeard on September 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Go Bernie Marcus and Home Depot! Home Deport also gives a 10% veterans discount with a dd214.

Just finished building a deck with all supplies bought at local Home Depot.

Luka on September 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Obama thinks Home Depot is where Michelle gets her clothes.

Maybe he’s right.

;)

profitsbeard on September 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I think that’s Wilco, the farm supply store.

Luka on September 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Breaking News !!!

General David Petraues just said that Bernie Marcus is endangering the lives of the troops with his comments, as they will only further encourage those who have hijacked Islam to see the United States as a country that is run by fools.

Luka on September 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Barack Obama says that he can not fathom why people would leave their homes at a depot when they go on vacation.

Luka on September 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

S M A C K

lol

deedtrader on September 17, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Finally! an alpha male steps up to the plate.

hoi polloi on September 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Bernie and a gazellelephant! It doesn’t get any better!

Yellowdog12 on September 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Does this mean the government is now going to nationalize the home improvement industry? That will show Hengler!

tballard on September 18, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Home Depot is not exactly a favorite. They have good prices and selection and custom ordering on a timely basis. Very slow to escape.

The thing that convinces me, totally, is all the “day laborers” looking for jobs. Far more than any other establishment. Now this is not controlled for anything, but if illiterate illegal aliens understand that their most likely job comes from Home Depot shoppers, teh Won and all D’rats are wrong. Overthinking a subject leads to stupidity.

Caststeel on September 18, 2010 at 3:18 AM

I’ve got nothing against my local Menards store, but from now on I’m more then happy to drive out of town and support a Home Depot store.

ynot4tony2 on September 18, 2010 at 12:10 PM

What a racist! He should know better than to criticize the little messiah!

BillCarson on September 18, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Personal story, and I’ll try to make it as succinct as possible.

Sometime after the 2008 election I connected with a guy through LinkedIn who was head of development for this rather cool tech start-up company in town. I told him what I do (tech writing, online help, and instructional design) and asked if he’d be interested in seeing a little dog-and-pony show of my work. He was. I visited this company’s new HQ, and they had just finished installing a bunch of new cubicles and were ready to hire about 20 more people for customer service and tech support roles. I created a proposal to do some contract work for them, submitted it, and waited for the response.

Two weeks later, the guy said the company management “did not want to spend any more money for the rest of the year.” A few weeks later, the guy quit. So did some others. Since then the company has pared back its business offerings and sells to only one small niche. I sometimes revisit the place as a follow-up. The cubicles are still empty and the staff seems smaller each time.

I’m willing to bet, though, that if the Republicans get a majority in the House this next election, those cubicles will be filled. That’s why I keep visiting them.

Gottafang on September 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM

re: ‘Holiday Trees’ – I don’t like it either, but one has a responsibility to investors, regardless one’s personal beliefs. Let’s just say that picket signs are bad for business, and leave it at that.

wkgdyw on September 18, 2010 at 9:37 PM

This from the company that builds shelters for illegal immigrants to hang out in front of their stores. I only shopat Lowes.

ZappaDawg68 on September 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM