Video: Rove doubles down against O’Donnell

posted at 5:34 pm on September 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s not technically “against her,” but in rattling off her dirty laundry instead of giving the standard “we need to unite” post-election pep talk, he’s notably out of step with most of the rest of the righty punditocracy today. It’s too bad, although after last night’s infamous appearance on Hannity, he’s sure to be a RINO scapegoat in November if she loses no matter what he says or does now. Better to have him up there on the ledge where he can be pushed than to have him climb down, no? Castle, who’s refused to endorse her thus far, also really needs to put his hard feelings aside and do the right thing here. Even with today’s fundraising bonanza, the only shot she has at the seat is more money, money, money, but his donors are wavering and may walk away in loyalty if he holds a grudge. Must be tough for Castle to hear repeatedly that he’s a cancer on the GOP whose victory would set back the conservative cause even more than a Democratic win and then, in a moment’s notice, be told that the GOP’s survival in Delaware depends on his endorsement. But politics is a tough business. Patterico managed to put his hard feelings aside to back her. How about it, Mike?

One fun possibility to mull over here: A commenter e-mailed this morning wondering whether Rove might be deliberately antagonizing tea partiers to keep them angry and motivated and donating to O’Donnell. I don’t buy it, but Rove’s just Machiavellian enough that I can’t bring myself to discount it entirely either. If the only shot at this seat now is to generate massive Republican turnout, and if a surefire way to generate that turnout is to give them an establishment boogeyman to “send a message” to, then why wouldn’t Rove be that boogeyman? Him and Rush, playing good cop/bad cop! A bit too clever by half, right? Ah well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

~reads whole blog post~ nevermind clever comment above….

jdpaz on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Karl Rove is generally a mild-mannered guy who provides thoughtful commentary and shares some pretty interesting insights into politics. I think he was quite upset by the results last night and said some stuff he genuinely believes in a bit less diplomatic a manner than he should have. Still, he’s good at what he does, and I’ll be forever grateful that he helped Bush to defeat Gore and Kerry. George W. Bush had his flaws, but both of those turkeys would have been far worse. Rove plays to win and it must have just galled him to see a winnable seat likely slip out of our hands for a lifetime.

Exactly, Rove thinks in terms of winning. That’s the way his mind works.

terryannonline on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Whoa cannonball! Easy fella. Some of us Longhorns like CO too. We’ll see you at Thanksgiving.

bravecowboy on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Mmmmmmmm… Double Down.

Abby Adams on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

So is Rove for Coons?

tommer74 on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Carl.Rove.Is.A.Fool.

chaswv on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Oh please, this isn’t some grand plan by Rove to keep Tea Partiers motived until November. This is the same kind of name-calling he did back when conservatives wouldn’t support Harriet Myers and amnesty. Rove is a jerk and he’s proved it time and again over the years. Frankly, I’m beyond tired of him.

Redneck Woman on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM

AprilOrit is pro-Castle?? Shocka!!!!!!!!

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Rove is dead as far as I’m concerned–and I say that as someone who gave him 100% support up until I saw him on Hannity and couldn’t believe the vicious things he said. He appeared to be another Dem strategist. I always hated them so it’s easy to now hate Rove.

BillCarson on September 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Why? Becuase he is doing some due-diligence and merely said she needs to answer some questions about her prior behavior?

If a Democrat acted like she did you guys would be running for the pitchforks and torches.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I’m all for going out and burning some more bridges!

Those bridges that rake the establishment Republicans, (and Karl Rove), over a long bed of hot coals.

Rock on Tea Party Patriots!

Rovin on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

If this is some brilliant strategy – how come he didn’t use it when O’Donnell ran two years ago? Did he bring up her baggage back then? I’m not buying it.

Done That on September 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I dont understand this with us or against us attitude that a lot of you guys have on EVERY issue.

I like to think that most of us look to air disagreements until the primary, and then it’s “with us or against us” to get behind the winner.

drunyan8315 on September 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

There’s a healthy perspective.

I take it that was sarcastic. I think critiquing Karl Rove is taking a healthy prespective.

Isn’t/wasn’t Mike Castle supposed to be Judas, though? “True conservative” iconography can be confusing.

Allahpundit on September 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I agree. Anyone who thinks that Karl Rove is a true conservative is confused. Even more so with regards to Castle.

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

AprilOrit is pro-Castle?? Shocka!!!!!!!!

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

You forgot your sarc tag, my friend.

Norwegian on September 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM
AprilOrit is pro-Castle?? Shocka!!!!!!!!

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I was pro-nobody – no horse in that race at all.

I live in Manhattan – not Delaware.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Where is that compassionate conservatism Mr. Rove? Saving it for the opposition maybe!

fourdeucer on September 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

drunyan8315 on September 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

No, its like that on EVERYTHING. If you don’t support social con issues, you are a baby killing liberal, etc, etc, etc. There is no middle ground to people on Hotair.

thphilli on September 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

When will Karl Rove go away? Please?

NoLeftTurn on September 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Are you sure that any amount of money is enough to pull off a win for her when almost half the state is Democrat and only about a quarter is Republican?

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

It’s a b!tch when you are really relevant any more.

Sorry Karl. Meet the new kingmaker. Her name is Sarah.

bw222 on September 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I think the debate is a lot more serious than one senate seat. DeMint said it best. This is about removing the power from DC.

Of course, the establishment will fight. They have visions of all that power again, but the people are done with that model of government.

It’s going to be a paradigm shift.

AnninCA on September 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Look, Rove sees that the era of Big Government really is over. He thought it meant Lefty Big Government, but now he realizes that it means All Big Government. Not only that, it means starting with Republican Big Government types.

I don’t think he realizes that he’s on thin ice.

Rove: You’re a genius, until you’re not. And when it’s over, it’s over.

EMD on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Rove’s out; Tea Party is in… Simple as that. Speculation is fun for threads such as this, but in reality Rove appears to be pissed off that the establishment is crumbling at the hands of everyday citizens. The part that I can’t get passed is very simple… Rove threw it all in for the RINO stating that we need that seat and the RINO was the only hope. Now that the RINO lost, he wants no part of joining forces to get after that seat he stated was so damn important. Truth is, Republicans are not going to get 60 seats, which is needed to govern freely. 50 seats, 51 seats, 49 seats are not going to allow the GOP to do much as far as change and repeal goes; Obama will paint them silly with the VETO pen.

Prove me wrong, I’d actually like that since I supported Rove for many years.

Keemo on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Exactly, Rove thinks in terms of winning. That’s the way his mind works.

terryannonline on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Oh, so that’s why Dubya ended up with something like a 22% approval rating.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Only thing I can think of is he`s trying to drive indies, moderate democrat voters to her side………. Or he`s just being a sore loser.

ThePrez on September 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM

The latter…he’s an a$$…
And he proved it twice in the last 24hrs.

PURGE!!!!!!!!! ‘)

jerrytbg on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

He’s a Republican like me.

I said this here 3 years ago – you guys need to leave my party and join the Conservative Party or better yet – the Constitution Party. Go to them, they want you guys, they will welcome you with open arms.

Karl is over here with me, we’re in the GOP.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Rove…..please keep talking…..damage the BUSH BRAND more, show RINOs they really are.

BREAKING NEWS (in 5…….4…….)
COLIN POWELL TO LEAVE GOP (save this for October 30th

PappyD61 on September 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Levin says he “will deal with Rove later tonite”. Can’t wait.

sbvft contributor on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Why would these people elect a woman who took 10 years to pay off her taxes and used camapigns funds to pay her rent?

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM

See, this is how easy it is to manipulate weak minded people…someone prints something not totally true, and then it is accepted as gospel.
Now if your statement is not true, you would be a supporter of hers, right?
No, you wouldn’t be, so you just sprout out anything that pops onto your screen that is anti-O’Donnell, without any facts to back it up.

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

My God! Give it a rest! The tax thing was answered many, many times.
No one has proven that she paid her rent with campaign funds and is that illegal? Can Palin have clothes purchased for her w/campaign funds?
Finally, My daughter’s school loans haven’t been paid off yet and if anyone speaks badly of my daughter because of that, get ready for a kick in the face!

Vince on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Uh, because he wasn’t a good president? The optics of saying there were WMD’s and then there not being any hurt him a lot. Spending like a liberal hurt him a lot, but only near the end when conservatives stopped apologizing for him. What could Karl Rove have done to fix his image? Maybe stop him from declaring victory on that ship with the “Mission Accomplished” sign, but thats about it.

thphilli on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

The fact that she has had problems with the IRS is a resume enhancement. Half of the current executive administration has had back taxes due. So What… Rove just prooved that he is an old gaurd Repub that needs to realize that his policies put the Repubs where they were in 2006. In the dumper.

I just donated $50 to O’Donnell. Screw Rove

Kuffar on September 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Redneck Woman on September 15, 2010

You’re totally right but I think unintentionally his rantings is helping tremendously.

JonPrichard on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Levin says he “will deal with Rove later tonite”. Can’t wait.

sbvft contributor on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

That should be good. He is interviewing O’donnell now

kangjie on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

The want you guys – listen to that welcome message – go!!!!

If I were you I wouldn’t even think twice – I’d just go to them.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

2004: Rove, you magnificant bastard!
2005: Rove?
2006: Rove?!!
2008: Rove, WTF!!?

2010: Rove, you bastard!

Pretty much my chronological thinking on all things Rove. I have no use whatsoever anymore for this clown.

Norwegian on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

The lady had some problems paying off creditors… Jeez, can I relate to that. The problems this lady has had in the past are truly peanuts compared to that of every Democrat politician I have ever known. Truth is, we don’t run for pitchforks and torches; that is what Liberals do. We simply blow off hot air, store the information for future use, and move on. Rove can redeem himself easily enough, it’s up to him…

Keemo on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Karl is over here with me, we’re in the GOP.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I think you may be right there, but then the new and improved GOP would make up about 0.001% of the electorate. Good luck.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Because her opponent is a democrat, but an avowed Marxist…that is why she can win.
If she stated “I would be worried if my opponent was a democrat because of the history of the state. But because he is a Marxist, I am not worried because of the history of my state”.
That should be her theme…

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

On a lighter note, the reason I think he doubled down was pretty obvious. He’d said what he said. What’s he going to do, say he was upset and misspoke? LOL*

He probably was going to man up and take the hits back, but he’s just a fighter type. He ended up repeating that rant, and Fox loved it, btw.

They were downright giddy.

AnninCA on September 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Wow. Okay, I think that’s the first time I’ve heard her talk. She has so much charisma it makes my skin crawl. I think I see why people like her and think she can will. Heck, get her on TV enough, maybe she can.
I just get this sinking feeling that this is a big con for her, though.

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Michelle Malkin said that someone called Carl, “Tokyo Rove”…

d1carter on September 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM

….and didn’t BUSH reportedly brag that he had “changed” the Republican Party?

Rove? Ruling class Rove?

Didn’t he almost cost his boss the election with that last minute flip-flop in Ohio in 2004 (on Gay Marriage / Civil Unions)?

PappyD61 on September 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM

The want you guys – listen to that welcome message – go!!!!

If I were you I wouldn’t even think twice – I’d just go to them.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

How would your new and improved GOP ever win an election? What would there be to distinguish you from Democrats? Nothing.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

A little dense are you? That’s because there is other baggage with the democrat…like voting for Cap and Trade, ObamaCare, trillions of dollars in debt…yeah we would have the pitchforks out. Pelosi pays all of her debts and we are going to “torch” her in November….sheeesh…

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

That should be her theme…

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Do we have footage of him calling himself a Marxist. I don’t know Delaware, but my general assumption is that, outside of San Francisco, that would kill anyone’s campaign.

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Oops, needed a `?’.

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

If Rove is right that she’s had some ethical lapses (and tax problems are some of the worst kind for politicians), why on earth is it the right thing to get behind her? When Coon’s first attack ad airs the same dirty laundry — which really is dirty, after all — that Rove is airing, does the GOP as a whole really want to take ownership of her personal foibles?

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I live in Manhattan – not Delaware.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, we know. That hotbed of conservatism.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Bush did call him “Turd Blossom.”

J.E. Dyer on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

And O’Donnel has no votes to look to, nor can you look at her past, because her past is full of lies and failure to pay bills. So you have to rely completely on her words.

thphilli on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Vince on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

You can tell a serial liar…they just keep repeating the same lie, time after time.
I bet the chick who posted that won’t apologize…she will justify her lie.

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Exactly, Rove thinks in terms of winning. That’s the way his mind works.

terryannonline on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

And Bush’s 11-dimensional chess move made him abandon free market principles to save the free market. It’s the way his mind works!!

(At some point, people are going to stop ascribing to brilliance what can be better explained through baser qualities….)

dtestard on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Gingrich shooting off the right foot and Rove shooting off the other right foot. Sheez guys…this is the opportunity of a lifetime and all you can do is spit and whine?

psychocyber on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

If she’s such a dirtbag, why on earth did we never hear about it in her other runs for office?

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Now when the dims ask the public if they want to return to the days of Bush/Cheney/Rove, we’ll be the one hollering the loudest “Hell No!”

Lou Budvis on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Rove is out. sorry but this cause is too important to get hung up on what Karl Rove thinks. We now know where he stands, fine. The party center of energy and momentum now is not Karl Rove anymore. Its the Palin/DeMint/Christie/Paul Ryan revolution.

exceller on September 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Levin says he “will deal with Rove later tonite”. Can’t wait.

sbvft contributor on September 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM

AP/Ed — we. must. have. footage.

John the Libertarian on September 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Karl is over here with me, we’re in the GOP.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Have a nice honeymoon but Karl will cheat on you.

Vince on September 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I’ve never seen Rove challenged once on Fox News. Not once. Not by the hosts, and he’s never on at the same time as an other guest.

I guess if they let you get away with saying whatever you want, you’ll continue to do so.

YYZ on September 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

thphilli on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

And by the way, Rubio and Toomey are both hopelessly unelectable wingnut psychos. Let’s face it, squish prognostication isn’t the greatest.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Coons was on tonight, and he isn’t making the mistake of trashing her or underestimating her, either.

He’s a quick talker. Yes, he’d vote for Obamacare, but he wants to make sure it really does bring down costs while retaining the innovation and job engine, yadda, yadda.

Very solid type. No marxist.

She’ll need to be on top of her arguments.

AnninCA on September 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Lou Budvis on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Bush and Rove? Totally.

Cheney…I hear Liz is looking to knock over Jim Webb in 2012.

I’ll take me some more Cheney…

SuperCool on September 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

thphilli on September 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Gee, you are a real genius…so someone feeds you something and you just accept it.
Someone takes 12 years to pay off college and that is something “bad” to you? The IRS apologized to her for a clerical error, and you think that is “bad”?
Meanwhile the person she defeated voted to look into impeachment of President Bush, voted for some of the most economic destructive bills ever passed, and you think she is “bad” because she did what? Said she took a Masters degree class, but didn’t?
HAHAHAHA! I am afraid your perspective is a bit skewed…or to put it more politely, you are pretty stupid and easy to manipulate.

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Still waiting…

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

For people who’ve lived their entire lives at public expense, taxes aren’t a cost; they are a kickback.

Demcrats have never believed in paying taxes. And now that Republicans are on the bandwagon too, it’s pretty much unanimous.

logis on September 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Maybe if rove is against her then dems can vote for her.

GardenGnome on September 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM

No he’s a RINO who brought us Compassionate Conservatives and brought down the economy with runaway spending! STFU!

flytier on September 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Steele must be feeling a cold wind blowing in. Or maybe Mrs. Palin put some starch in his jellyfish spine.

And up yours Toots Rove. Get out of the way, or get run over.

Lincoln Cadillac on September 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Rove is a brilliant strategist and that’s what is so disappointing here. As a strategist with 20 some years in this game, the first thing he *should* know is that you don’t highlight divisions two months before elections.

He’s letting his personal emotions get in the way of a professional obligation. You don’t tear down those in your party two months before an election. Not if you want to win. Selfishness.

BruthaMan on September 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

dtestard on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Rove wants to WIN. PERIOD. That’s what he wants. He is obviously worried that O’Donnell has some baggage that is going to work against her and he is giving her good advice.

Texas Gal on September 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Very solid type. No marxist.

She’ll need to be on top of her arguments.

AnninCA on September 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Well I’d like to ask Coons how he proposes to bring down costs while keeping ObamaCare in place. Debate. Over.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Why would these people elect a woman who took 10 years to pay off her taxes

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I notice you haven’t backed up your post with any fact…does that mean you were not telling the truth, or you just think you will be ignored.
Let’s see who is the real truth teller here…

right2bright on September 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Karl is over here with me, we’re in the GOP.

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM

It is not your party and our intention is to take it back, as Reagan did.

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I don’t that she’s such a dirtbag. Rove raises some troubling questions. Then again, he’s Karl Rove, and I’m not entirely comfortable taking his word for anything. The allegations he’s raising are easily verified by looking at her public record, though, so somebody should be doing due diligence in answering the concerns before everybody jumps on her bandwagon. Namely, her.

I suspect that some of the issues have been raised, some were predated by her prior runs, and others weren’t worth raising because she wasn’t a serious candidate until this year.

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Red Cloud
rockmom
amerpundit
Madison Conservative
AprilOrit

True_King on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

If its the good cop/bad cop thing, it’s definitely working. I’ve gone from leery about her to supporting her.

cpaulus on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

AprilOrit on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Hell freezes over. AprilOrit defends Rove.

GT on September 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

You also don’t nominate unelectable candidates, and yet, here we are.

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Very solid type. No marxist.

She’ll need to be on top of her arguments.

AnninCA on September 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

What? The guy says he’ll vote for ObamaCare and you don’t think at the very least he leans Marxist? The entire democrat platform since Woodrow Wilson has been a copy of the Soviet Union. Everything down to FDR’s second bill of rights is directly traceable to them.

These people have been lying thru their teeth for decades about who and what they are. They’ve spent years putting their people in positions of power. Yeah, this guy is a Marxist … almost all democrats are. If they aren’t they’re in the wrong party.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

True_King on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

At the rate you’re going, the ruling class will be the majority of commenters.

MadisonConservative on September 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I don’t that she’s such a dirtbag.

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

She’s not??? From what I’ve read here and elsewhere over the past several days, I’d think she’d be indicted any day now.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Rove is an expensive political consultant that looks out for Rove…perhaps Fox has finally figured that out after last night…I’m glad to see that Rove outed himself…after Sharron Angle won her primary, Rove tried to get her to basically fire everyone who had helped her…and put him in charge…for a nice fee of course.

DCJeff on September 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Texas Gal on September 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Rove is basically telling her to crawl off somewhere and die. Personally, I don’t think that is good advice. Rove can go take his own advice.

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Still waiting…

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

dang, man. I’m actually reading other comments, too. I know ten minutes is a long time in internet time, but still…

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

DCJeff on September 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Angle did get rid of some folks..

Dire Straits on September 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Keep it up Karl. Every time you open your sewer about your brilliant mind, O’Donnell raises another 10 grand.
This would have pained me to say last night, but keep it up genius.
Ass.Clown.

JeffinOrlando on September 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Hey … does this Hot Air ruling class thing come with any perks?

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

So it’s only when some relative newcomer threatens to topple an establishment favorite that the ethical thing becomes important. We knew that. But then we didn’t hear much about Mike Castle’s financial history. I’ll bet there are probably at least one or two troubling issues there as well. No one seemed to be interested though.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Should have read, “I don’t know that she’s such a dirtbag.” If some of things she’s been accused of are true — not paying her taxes, lying about her college degree — she’s not qualified to sit in the senate. Or maybe she’s eminently qualified, depending on how you look at it.

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Texas Gal on September 15, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Sorry, Texas Gal, he’s not in the driver’s seat this time. It’s clear to We the People. He is not, as you suggest, just propping up the establishment party. This is real.

Close political observers of and on the Right know that the revolt against Big Government/Open-Borders Rove/Bush-ism has been brewing a long time. See here, here, here, and here, for example.

This IS a revolt, against Rove et al. Even if you dream it is not.

dtestard on September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Maybe, or getting what he consdiers her “problem areas” out in the open so she can deal with them before the democrats do. You know how good the democrats are at stretching the truth and distorting the tiniest fact.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Still waiting…

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I’ve been asking that question for three days now without a satisfactory answer. Take your time.

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

At the rate you’re going, the ruling class will be the majority of commenters.

MadisonConservative on September 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

“Ruling Class” sounds very “People’s History of the United States”.

Count to 10 on September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Sort of. It’s important to her immortal soul or whatever. I just mean that nobody is going to vet a candidate that doesn’t actually stand a chance to run for her party.

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

At the rate you’re going, the ruling class will be the majority of commenters.

MadisonConservative on September 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM

LOL. Yeah, 18 people constitute a majority.

Not sure how many registred users HotAir has, but it is a hell of lot more than 37.

Norwegian on September 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

You know this really isn’t that hard.

Karl Rove is on the side of Washington DC. Same as Peggy Noonan and Kathleen Parker. That is where he gets his paychecks and attends all the best parties. He worked behind the scenes to get Castle elected and it blew up in his face.

Who did this to him? Some nobody from the wrong side of the tracks took down his boy Castle.

That seat was supposed to be there to help stave off the Palin/Tea Party power play within the GOP and he failed.

He isn’t going to let this go because its how he makes a living. If the Tea Party can get people elected in blue states then what the hell do they need him for?

sharrukin on September 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Hey … does this Hot Air ruling class thing come with any perks?

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Yes. A last serenade.

PercyB on September 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

ddrintn on September 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Ok, asked and answered.

RightOFLeft on September 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Luka on September 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I realize from our previous exchanges that you are such a seasoned, experienced strategist… but I have to disagree with you, Luka. I’m probably a lot older than you and I’m probably a lot more familiar with Karl Rove than you, so I have absolutely no doubt that Rove only wants to WIN in 2010 and he’s probably concerned that the unanswered criticism around O’Donnell make not only her venerable but the entire 2010 ticket.

And I would think that those who support her would want her to be just as strong a candidate in 2010 as those like Rove who just want to win.

Texas Gal on September 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM