Video: A new stimulating road-sign project from the GOP

posted at 4:12 pm on September 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Signs, signs, everywhere there’s signs … and they all want to send a message that the $787 billion Porkulus package has succeeded in putting America back to work. It certainly put signmakers back to work for a short period of time, but Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) has accused the administration of using the signs as a propaganda device. In order to understand the scope of the problem, the Republicans on the House Oversight Committee would like to ask for your help. Do you see a Porkulus road sign in your area? Grab your camera or cell phone and take a picture, and then send it to the project e-mail address. They’ll start mapping the signs and show just how prevalent the ad campaign has become:

Comments

I’m going to have to take a picture of the one at the new Manchester Airport off-ramp and send it in. That project was going on for at least a year before Porkulous, and then all of the sudden – blammo - someone stuck one of these signs there.

crazy_legs on September 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I’ve seen those signs closer to places such as L.A. But nowhere close to Fontana though.

FontanaConservative on September 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, but has anybody asked that guy if he would turn in Jews hiding in his attic? C’mon people, let’s focus on the issues that face us today.

mankai on September 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

They’re signs of the times.

Felonious Monk on September 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Off topic.

Weekly Standard has a story that the Big Kaine Announcement today is that the
democrats have designed a new logo.

Is that it? Is that all they’ve got?

Dhuka on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Plenty of these signs in Washington DC… on the BW Parkway and I-395… Nice big ones…

Khun Joe on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I should take a pic of the sign I saw on Highway 10, it was posted backwards so you could only read it after you drove by.

It’s probably been fixed it by now but I thought it was funny at the time.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I knew I was in the wrong business. I’d love to be the sign painter for the government. It’s easy money. I saw one of those propaganda signs on the I-40 bridge crossing the river at Memphis. The repair project is just part of regular maintenance in an attempt to make it more earthquake proof. I doubt that a single porkulus buck went towards it.

simkeith on September 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Here’s one.

dont taze me bro on September 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

So help me understand this.

I am a laid off software sales rep – and I am supposed to get excited about the idea of finding a job building roads?

How Roosevelt-ish?

jake-the-goose on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I’m d@mn sure that there is one on the 101 N between Agoura Hills and Westlake Village that sits there with no obvious construction going on. But it’s the major freeway for the VC commuters.

Apologetic California on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Only racists take pictures of wasteful road signs which disingenuously herald a stimulus that does not work but put into effect by a democrat politician who is half black and elected by college kids.

keep the change on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Someone stole the sign to our “road work” LOL! No I am not joking.

upinak on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I don’t believe I’ve seen any in Louisiana, but I think state law heavily regulates such signs.

The current signage on I-10, I-12, and major highways will have a sign that displays the total cost of the work and a breakdown of how much of that total came from the US Government and how much came from Louisiana’s state coffer.

teke184 on September 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I’m surprised the signs don’t boast about how many jobs were saved or created.

ColumbusConservative on September 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I think the proper word for ‘sign painter’ is Limner – but I’m not sure. Regardless, I think I saw somewhere that they spent 10s of millions of $ on the signs. That really stimulated that industry.

WashingtonsWake on September 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Here’s one.

dont taze me bro on September 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

That’s some real truth in advertising.

Dee2008 on September 15, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I’ll do anything for Aaron Schock. ♥

lansing quaker on September 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Rats! Two weeks too late. I was just in Colorado and Michigan and saw signs in both places. In fact, while in RMNP a park ranger was bragging about how they are fixing the roads and parking lots with stimulus money.

txhsmom on September 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Is that it? Is that all they’ve got?

Dhuka on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

C’mon, it’s Tim Kaine. What’d you expect?

Oldnuke on September 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM

FontanaConservative on September 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

There’s a couple on the 215 in San Bernardino.

El_Terrible on September 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM

There’s also a couple on the 91 between Corona and Yorba Linda (California)

El_Terrible on September 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Just passed one on Route 16 in Rochester NH, but I didn’t have a camera.

My girlfriend looked at me in disbelief when I told her of the 22m figure the first time that we passed it.

It’s classic leftist dhim, all propaganda but no competence.

That’s how we were gifted with Oliar.

ontherocks on September 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

That’s because all jobs are now in the rear view mirror. :-)

tims472 on September 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Here’s one.

dont taze me bro on September 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

That’s good, but I want the bumper sticker of the one MM always puts up on her blog–the one with the $$$ going into the toilet.

txhsmom on September 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Everyone knows more signs are good for the environment.

Benaiah on September 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM

So the Dem’s are gonna change their logo? Why,they don’t like their Jack ass?

sandee on September 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM

FontanaConservative on September 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM

..drive out the 91 into Corona and notice the signs they put up around Green River on existing shoulder/embankment shoring work they that had started before the porkulus passed.

..also back down by the 241/91 as well.

The War Planner on September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

There’s one of these signs at an intersection about half a mile from my home. Been there a while. No projects of any kind are happening anywhere near the sign. Noticed a couple of days ago that someone has X’d out to work so the sign just says putting America. I think someone needs to insert an “It to” between putting and America. Also noticed that some real estate biz has stuck a for sale sign right in front of it so that it reads putting America for sale. It’s a really busy intersection but I’m going to try to get a picture of it.

Oldnuke on September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I’m sending in a photo of one just up the road. The project has been on-going for the past TWO years, now all of a sudden it’s got a “Recovery” sign there. Funny, we’ve been paying a 1/2 cent sales tax for the last two years to fund this project. Can I have that 1/2 cent back now?

GarandFan on September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

The War Planner on September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Hey neighbor!

El_Terrible on September 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM

I’ve seen the signs all over LA and in some of the surrounding communities. The only time I’ve seen any work being done near a sign was when I once saw 6 guys installing a sign near Oxnard.

jbh45 on September 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I’ll do anything for Aaron Schock. ♥

lansing quaker on September 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I was just coming to post the same thing LOL!

gophergirl on September 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM

There’s also a couple on the 91 between Corona and Yorba Linda (California)

El_Terrible on September 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Mega-crap! I am late to the dance per usual. You, me, and FontanaConservative should get together an have a weekend porkulus-picture-patrol-party some weekend.

Lemme know; I am at thewarplanner-at-gmail.com

The War Planner on September 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I had to watch one of those signs for 20 minutes while in a traffic jam created by government officials who have been spending like drunken sailors on bike trails, more busses, light rail, car pool lanes, hybrid car programs… Everything but lanes on the freeway. These signs do nothing more than make me angry. Hopefully it’s the same for all the other taxpayers that go by them–which happens to only be about half of us.

ClanDerson on September 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM

GarandFan on September 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Look in the cushions of your couch and you will probably find at least twice that amount. It was put there by your all caring gov’t and they would like your vote in Nov.! :-)

tims472 on September 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Hey neighbor!

El_Terrible on September 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM

..hermano! See above! I am serious!

In fact I am going to be at a swap meet at Chino Hills HS from 0700-1030 this Saturday. E-mail address works.

The War Planner on September 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

How about I take a picture of the US Capitol Building, plenty of waste going on there.

tommer74 on September 15, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Apologetic California on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I work near there, no construction going on except at Reyes Adobe exit (I think)…but that project has been going on for awhile and was in the making way before stimulus.

jbh45 on September 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Cute. How about having the stones to attack The One and machine pols in Congress? Tell the Dems what they are doing to ALL of us!

The quest for votes had you guys afraid to be called racist if you attacked Him then over 90% of the minority vote went Dem.

BTW, can we say His middle name yet?

IlikedAUH2O on September 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM

jake-the-goose on September 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

My thoughts exactly. Apparently all you unemployed people are supposed to pick up shovels and be happy for your manual labor.

ctmom on September 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

BTW, can we say His middle name yet?

IlikedAUH2O on September 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM

You mean Millhouse? snark. (thanks Levin)

jbh45 on September 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

democrats have designed a new logo.

Dhuka on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Not a new logo – the DNC has a new building design.

VibrioCocci on September 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Here’s one.

dont taze me bro on September 15, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Glad to see my work making the rounds! What blog is it posted on?

CDeb on September 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Dem Spin:

“You SEE! We have spent money all over the country, in all of these places, putting people back to work, improving our infrastructure, blah, blah, blah!”

“The Republicans are just proving our point! Instead of working to make tax cuts for the wealthy permanent, instead of taking their orders from Rush Limbaugh, can’t they just get on board?”

“Oh, and TEA Partiers are racist, they keep electing fringe wackos and everyone who doesn’t support us is insane anyway!”

catmman on September 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM

You mean Millhouse? snark. (thanks Levin)

jbh45 on September 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Does this mean that Millhouse is now a meme, replacing the old “Millhouse is not a meme!” meme?

teke184 on September 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM

mankai on September 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Beg to differ. As someone once observed, no snow flake ever thinks it’s responsible for the avalanche. These “little problems” would bother me not one iota if it were a case of just one or two. Unfortunately, when they pile up, they will suffocate us.

oldleprechaun on September 15, 2010 at 5:00 PM

O D = Oh Damn?

upinak on September 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM

US 15 heading south into PA from NY (Future I-99). There’s a sign there for an extended construction project has gone for more than 10 years. The sign appeared there last year.

pt on September 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Signs alleging progress where there obviously isn’t any…

Useless nutrition labels on food items…some so large that they have to attach an extra sheet or increase the package size…

Warnings about everything imaginable…usually written in language someone dumb enough to be a potential victim could never understand…

Useless “Energy Star” labels on trivial appliances which draw insignificant power…(and why is it the government’s business to tell us how much power to use???)

Cryptic graphic signs which are supposed to warn us about a hazard, but which are not understandable to anyone but a government employee who would be present only after we were already a victim…

Hugely oversized traffic signals (justified as ‘meets Federal Standards’) which hang the signals so high over residential streets that they’re above the tree line and can’t be seen….

But my favorite “government gone wild” sign is still the “Not a Play Area” sign we see posted near drainage ditches: always mounted well above a child’s eye level!

I have come to the conclusion that government is founded on the belief that “Liars can’t write, and all stupid people can read”!!

landlines on September 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I believe there’s one at the on-ramp to US 101 North @Coldwater Canyon in Studio City …even though I’m not aware of any road repairs taking place at the moment.

I’ll try and get a snap shot tomorrow morning.

Speaking of Studio City… there’s been an ongoing “sewer project” that’s had a mile long portion Whitsett Avenue torn up for going on 3 years now. And of course, the site is always empty of workers.

I can’t believe the residents who live there haven’t ridden their city councilman around on a rail.

I’ll take another look when I drive by it again to see if there are any Porkulus signs …though I’m pretty sure it’s just another pork-laden LADWP payoff courtesy of Mayor Villardonothing.

The Ugly American on September 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Man, there have to be at least 20 of those signs on I-77 in West Virginia. And not a lick of work being done near any of them. I saw a few in Kentucky last weekend on I-64 too, and I know that was all work that has been planned for a few years.

rockmom on September 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Here’s a sign of recovery, people are getting jobs! Are Poll Workers Being Used to Inflate Jobs Totals?

Does anyone doubt they would try this?

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM

They put a sign up at the spot Tea Party protesters were holding a rally against an Obama speech to the AFL-CIO. There has not been any road work there in years.

HellCat on September 15, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Now they’ll take down all the signs and burn them. Signs? What signs?

RadClown on September 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM

The thing that got me is that I noticed the signs right away for the propaganda they were – they went up withing days after the stimulus bill was passed – when did they design, commission and have the actual work done for the signs? It had to have been weeks or even months before the bill passed. I remember thinking how creepy it was.

Queen0fCups on September 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

It’s probably been fixed it by now but I thought it was funny at the time.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM

That’s the point! Drivers have to look back to read it, they have accidents, and more Porkulus money goes to fix the “dangerous” road!

Steve Z on September 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

ONE THING I’VE NOTICED AS I’VE DRIVEN AROUND THE COUNTRY IS THAT IN STATES WHERE A DEMOCRAT IS GOVERNOR OR IN THE SENATE, ETC…THE BOTTOM OF THE SIGN CREDITS THEM BY SAYING “SUCH AND SUCH, GOVERNOR.” LIVING IN MINNESOTA I HAVE ONLY SEEN OBAMA’S NAME ON THE BOTTOM OF IT BECAUSE PAWLENTY IS GOVERNOR. SEEMS THIS IS DEFINATELY PROPAGANDA!

TheAudacityofNOPE on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Shoot! The sign in my area was just taken down.

It was placed at a busy highway exit coming into town. The actual project was quite a ways away, but in a less well-traveled location. They put the sign where people would see it.
Such propaganda.

MayBee on September 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM

We need to produce plastic stickers, orange with black lettering, about 8 inches high, that say “DEEPER IN DEBT”… They can be plastered right under the “PUTTING AMERICA” on the top part of the sign.

Haiku Guy on September 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Is this a gag post? Everything there is to attack on stimulus and this is on the list?

Governments, be they federal, state or local, left or right, have been putting these things up forever.

Granted, the “O” in all the signs creeps me out.

Jim708 on September 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Does this sign in my city last week count?
DPW Open House Sept 11th

Went to a near by store and asked what the sign was all about, no one knew but thought it might be the day to clean out the cellar of old paint and stuff (nope that only happens 1 day/year).

I had to call the DPW on another matter and asked what the sign was all about joking saying ‘ Hey are they giving tours?” As she explained there would be food, hayrides, games, etc and the public was welcome to come join in blah blah blah.

I am thinking OK so who’s paying for the hotdogs, rides, decorations, balloons, and whatever, is anyone getting overtime for manning the booths on a Saturday, or is it really an office party where the public gets invited so the taxpayer can help pay at least part of the bill. Not a peep in the local paper about this event that had the sign up for a few weeks. Could be nothing but.. it would be interesting to know who actually paid for it though

wubu on September 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Haven’t seen any here in Texas. I think they know that it would do them more harm than good.

phelps on September 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM

senator blutarsky has been asking for more than pictures….

Senator John Blutarsky, President Pro Tem of the Delta Fraternity in Exile, has issued a letter of marque and reprisal, conveyed through his friend and college buddy Robert “Mad Bob” REDACTED, for the defacement of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act road signs.

warhorse_03826 on September 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

mankai on September 15, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I know TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS isn’t much money (cough, cough), but where there is smoke, there is fire and where there’s waste, there’s fraud. Besides, you ain’t the boss of us.

griv on September 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

There’s been one of these signs south of 44th St & McDowell here in Phoenix for the last 2 weeks or so. Today, after reading this, I drove by there and it was gone. Verrrry interesting.

Sir Loin on September 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM

The messed up part is where there is work going on only the chosen few get the jobs and all the overtime they can handle. I see about 10 guys building 20 miles of road.

sonnyspats1 on September 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM