GOP moans about losing chance to take control of Senate with Castle defeat

posted at 8:48 am on September 15, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, when trying to keep irrational exuberance in check about the likelihood of taking control of the House, Republicans warned that they might fall short of winning 39 seats in a 435-seat election.  Suddenly, in the wake of the rejection of Mike Castle by Delaware Republicans, party officials now want to say that Christine O’Donnell has ruined their chances of netting nine seats in a 35-seat election.  Politico’s Jonathan Martin reports on the supposed sad wreck of the grand design:

Christine O’Donnell’s surprise victory in the Delaware Senate GOP primary Tuesday left Republicans in conflict, senior party officials openly fretting that the Senate is now out of reach and Democrats overjoyed that the opposition has handed them a late and desperately needed chance to reframe the national argument about the 2010 elections.

Aside from the political implications of the upset, the outcome prompted a round of deep Republican soul-searching about what it said about their party when a political pillar in Delaware like Rep. Mike Castle, a respected lawmaker who was considered a shoo-in for the Senate seat, could not even come within six points of defeating the controversial and still largely unknown O’Donnell. …

In the wake of Tuesday’s results, a state that would have almost certainly been a pick-up for the GOP is now likely to stay with the Democrats, making it more difficult for Republicans to win the 10 seats necessary to take back control of the Senate.

“We were looking at 8 to 9 seats in the Senate, we are now looking at 7 to 8 in my opinion,” said a visibly-unhappy Karl Rove on Fox News after the race was called for O’Donnell Tuesday night. “This is not a race we’re going to be able to win.” …

“This makes the road much steeper for Republicans to win back the Senate because this was a seat they had counted on,” said former Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.), a former House campaign committee chairman.

Oh, please.  Politics relies in part on setting expectations.  That’s what Republicans tried doing last week when tamping down predictions of a wave of 60, 70, or even more House seats switching.  Now suddenly they’re distraught over the prospects of picking up nine seats in the Senate — when three months ago, a pickup of five or six seats would have been welcomed as a major gain and a way to ensure a Republican presence large enough to force Democrats to come to the table.

My advice to the GOP would be to quit whining about losing a long-shot bid to win control of the Senate and focus on actually winning the races.  In fact, the odds of winning control of the upper chamber didn’t actually decline all that much, because they were small to begin with.  Just a few days ago, John Cornyn told a reporter that Democrats would keep control of the Senate through 2012, when Democrats have to defend a lot more seats than the GOP.

The better question on which to focus is in Martin’s second paragraph.  What does Mike Castle’s crash and burn among Delaware Republicans say about their party organization?  After all, we have heard oodles of commentary about how Delaware Republicans are moderates who might get energized by the Tea Party but supposedly aren’t looking for conservative candidates.  Instead, they convinced Castle to leave a relatively safe House seat instead of looking for someone who hadn’t backed a government takeover of the energy sector in cap-and-trade (in a coal-dependent region!) and co-sponsored the DISCLOSE Act.  Perhaps had the GOP establishment listened a little more carefully to Delaware Republicans, who turned out relatively heavily in this election, they wouldn’t find themselves crying in their lattes this morning.

They stuck with a liberal, establishment candidate in a cycle where liberals and establishment figures are uniquely unpopular.  Had the Republican leadership been in touch with Delaware Republican voters, they might have found a more suitable candidate for the popular mood, and would not have had to deal with Christine O’Donnell and her outsider bid.  They have no one to blame but themselves.

Instead of pouting, Republican leaders in Delaware and around the country need to unite around the nominee, who was chosen by the Republicans in Delaware.  Had Castle won the nomination, they would have demanded unity themselves, and rightly so.   If they want to continue to issue snarky, anonymous asides and in essence take their ball and go home, don’t expect the electorate to follow them into battle in the future.  Rarely have I seen such childishness from the supposed leaders of a political establishment, who set the very rules and customs they now want to ignore because they just got embarrassed on a national stage.

Grow up, shut up, and get to work.

Update: Kevin McCullough agrees:

Mike Castle, if he is a man of loyalty to the party he wished to represent should hold fundraisers for O’Donnell beginning next week. Lisa Murkowski should follow suit in Alaska for Joel Miller. And Sue Bowden should be doing the same for Sharron Angle in Nevada.

In other words if “establishment” candidates are willing to give anything more than lip service to the party they wished to represent, then they should be willing to roll up their sleeves and do the hard work of campaigning for someone they disagree with on issues. And they should do so remembering they are in it for the greater good. …

We were told that in the end having a majority with an (R) after their name was the best thing of all.  Well, I see no reason why that statement can’t hold true when a genuine Republican conservative wins a primary.

Update II: Glenn Reynolds interviews Scott Rasmussen on the Tea Party and its impact on the GOP and the two-party system.  Maybe Republican leadership should pay close attention.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

I’m now interested in the “destruction of our country” because I didn’t like fossten’s chosen candidate.

Getting more reasonable by the post, you are.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Are you or are you not going to help O’Donnell win election? YES or NO.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

The Gop establishment wanted to remake their image, but gag on Tea Party constituent requirements.

I’ll reiterate an important point. Delaware AIN’T a Republican stronghold. Thank God Castle lost, because the majority of Americans are disgusted with RINO politicians, completely distrustful of the Republican establishment that demands close BIPARTISAN ties from the DNC.

The ONLY winnable alternative to beating a Democrat at this point in American federal corruption is the Tea Party candidate. Even a so-called non-conservative Leftist oriented state of voters made that clear with O’Donnell’s primary victory.

RINO OUT OF TOUCH

maverick muse on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Experience matters.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

But sometimes it can be overrated.

Right now, we have a whole lot of “experienced” people in congress, but they’re too busy to even read the laws they’re voting on.

I’m less worried about lack of experience in the Senate than I am with the president.

First term senators are rarely (if ever) given any jobs of real importance.

And there are 99 other senators that help mitigate any “freshman follies.”

Plus there are a lot of opportunities and support groups to help a first-term senator learn their job.

Religious_Zealot on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I haven’t gloated at all. We’re all on the same team.

Well, except Good Lt. He’s on his own team.

Translation: Good Lt. is not “one of us,” says ‘fossten.’

Even though he, um, is.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Great thing about this nation, everyone gets to have an opinion. What you are referring to I never said, feel free to research the 200 Delaware threads if you don’t believe me.

Find the people who did say that and bring it up with them.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The great thing about the internet is comments aren’t solely read by nor thereby solely intended for you. Take a look, people comment to things other people said to someone else.

If you never made that point then great, and if you don’t want to defend it no problem. Maybe someone who thought it will.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

“Powered by the average citizen.”

hawksruleva on September 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

That would be good.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Instead we have Ivy League attorney’s who are gaming the system for their own benefit. I’m thoroughly unimpressed with your argument.

rickyricardo on September 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM

If I lived in DE I’d vote for Christine over Coons. However, it would be easier if the GOP had a nominee with some professional accomplishments to make up for the disparity in education.

Christie & Brown seem like the better type of options for North East states.

dedalus on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I’m afraid that conservatives are going to have to work hard and donate hard in our battle with the establishment machine. May the force be with us!!

KickandSwimMom on September 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

yeap I can’t give much but I will give what I can. I gave $25 to sarahpac, $45 to Demint’s fund ($15 to miller $15 to O’Donnell and $15 to the fund) $25 to Renee ellmers today. $35 to the momeybomb last night. that’s about it till payday.

Give what you can
or to a conservativ eof your choice. Time is more important then money. call and get bumber stickers, yeard signs, offer to do some phione calls. the “rulers” count on us being asleep to steal our freedom. Make them understand we woke up and a grumpy.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

As for the party there is no point wasting money on a sure loss after it was a free sure win. That’s lose-lose for the GOP and conservatives. The best thing now is to focus on WI, CA, FL, WA, maybe WV and CT

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Yeah, it’s be like supporting Truman over Dewey. Or spending money to oppose the invincibile march of Communism.

hawksruleva on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Have you guys considered that having 49 Senate seats might be better for the GOP than having 51? The Senate is not going to get anything done in the next two years either way, because it’s going to take 60 votes to pass anything more substantial than a non-binding resolution in support of motherhood and apple pie, and neither party will be able to find nine defectors across the aisle. But if the Senate is doing nothing while the Dems are in the majority, you can stick it to them — and to Obama — in 2012. On the other hand, if the GOP is in charge, Obama can blame all his failures on the obstructionist Republicans.

factoid on September 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM

The king called his advisers and said he wanted to hear the truth, so they gave him the truth.

The next week after the funerals, the king called his advisers’ successors and told them he wanted to hear only good news.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on September 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Fossten: Should we apply your argument (and mine) about taking care of your own trash before dealing with other’s?

Several people that agree with your position have identified your gloating already.

Now, you may not realize you’re gloating, but that’s what everyone is saying. And, at this point, I feel an apology is in order.

Lt., please realize that not everyone who supports OD is as irrational as some. I am sorry if I said anything that was taken personally by you.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Translation: Good Lt. is not “one of us,” says ‘fossten.’

Even though he, um, is.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Are you or are you not going to help O’Donnell? YES or NO.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Getting more reasonable by the post, you are.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

One who had supporters arguing the destruction of the country was necessary for a conservative take over. Funny how fast arguments and positions change.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

KickandSwimMom on September 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Give what you can
or to a conservative of your choice. Time is more important then money. call and get bumber stickers, yard signs, offer to do some phione calls. the “rulers” count on us being asleep to steal our freedom. Make them understand we woke up and are grumpy.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Fossten: Why is he required to help OD? Is that how you define ‘us’ and ‘them’?

I’m fairly sure those are rather unique definitions, if so.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Plenty of people in congress have histories far more troubled and sordid than O’Donnell yet they keep getting elected. I don’t believe it is a given that O’Donnell will lose.

KickandSwimMom on September 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM

the RINOs terrified that a conservative might win in De

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Are you or are you not going to help O’Donnell win election? YES or NO.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Maybe.

I don’t even think you’ve read my posts up-thread when I answered this.

I’m just going to let whatever happens happens. You’re convinced that she’s got what it takes, and in this race, she’s going to have to perform. And if I don’t think she’s performing, I’m not going hold back and shut up about it.

Good enough for right now, or do you need me to start calling everyone names?

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Fossten: Why is he required to help OD? Is that how you define ‘us’ and ‘them’?

I’m fairly sure those are rather unique definitions, if so.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Okay, substitute the word ‘support,’ then.

Happy?

He still won’t answer the question.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I haven’t gloated at all. We’re all on the same team.

Well, except Good Lt. He’s on his own team.

Ask him.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM

You are claiming, b/c he does not support O’Donnell (and I’m guessing he doesn’t even live in DE), that he is for the “destruction of the country” that he is a troll, etc., etc.

That’s a bit much. It’s a bit over the top. I understood the passion pre-primary, but why do still have to say these things now? What good does it do? I’ve been reading and posting on this site a long time. “Good Lt” is a name I have seen often. I don’t recall seeing your postings before this primary. I know that Good Lt is a conservative. Unless he has posted conservative comments for years, laying in wait for his chance to be a Moby against O’Donnell, which hardly seems likely.

He does not think O’Donnell is a good candidate and believes that by nominating her, we threw away a chance to win a Senate seat. That hardly makes him evil. I agree that he should get on board and at least keep quiet until after the general election regarding what he perceives are her flaws – as I will do b/c I likely agree with him regarding her flaws, but now I want to focus on trying to win.

But we don’t need to tear each other apart anymore over this.

Monkeytoe on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Are you or are you not going to help O’Donnell win election? YES or NO.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Maybe.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM

So, you won’t answer the question. Got it. I rest my case.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

First, as already mentioned when it comes to me I won’t support O’Donnell no matter what out of principle. Principle is everything, remember?

Perhaps for you…for the others who spent the last week saying that uber RINO Castle had to be accepted because getting that seat for the GOP at any cost was our sole mission….not so much.

Wait, let me get this straight: You know election results before the actual elections? Wow. In a deep blue state no less where I was told the only way to win for the GOP was to elect a liberal Republican. No way that a democrat would win in a deep blue state? This is fascinating.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM

It’s all good. I’ve got thick skin.

And have dealt with particular egregious posters like fossten before.

Don’t sweat it. I’m still with the good guys.

OR AM I? ;-)

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

sorry double post did not think I hit submit before….me bad

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Well guys, it’s been fun. I have work to do. Be back later, hopefully things will calm down.

Hottie O’Donnell for DE in 2010!

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Support is a far more nebulous term. I mean, I ‘support’ her candidacy (not without some reservations), but I highly doubt I’m going to send her money, since I’m incredibly poor.

So would you say that I am not ‘supporting’ her? I agree that he shouldn’t offer gratuitous smears, but I think everyone here should feel free to call a spade a spade, as they see it. We can disagree, but calling people trolls (though I think you mean ‘spammer’) is not constructive or useful in actually discussing a disagreement.

And he did say ‘maybe’. That’s not a ‘No’, at least.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It’s not about me being right, though. It’s about having the best chance to win the seat.
And we blew that best chance. That’s all.
Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Eh, it kind of IS about being right. If the “true cons” can’t be made to see the folly of their gleeful embrace of permanent minority status for the sake of what they THINK is principle (the “better 30 Rubios….” attitude), conservatism might as well become an anachronism, because more winnable elections will be lost, and there won’t be enough GOP votes to stop the Democrats or reverse the damage they’ve done and will continue to do.

The answer to “better 30 Rubios” is “well, better 60 Rubios, but you’ll never get that many”. The contest is get people to realize that a Rubio (or, frankly, O’Donnell) can’t win ANYWHERE. Run Rubio in Delaware and he’d lose, and he’s a billion times the politician O’Donnell is.

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I’ve always liked reading your comments and you’ve made some good points in this little dust up, but you need to stop baiting and drawing return fire, because you are beginning to lose the respect of a lot of HA readers. I would like to continue respecting your commentary, but you make it difficult. Please reconsider.

a capella on September 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

So, you won’t answer the question. Got it. I rest my case.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

LOL – you don’t have a case.

I’m not on trial.

And my tepid support/non-enthusiasm for your candidate does not really make a bit of difference one way or the other.

Good Lt. isn’t on the ballot. Christine O’Donnell is. So own her and stop demanding purity tests and declarations of support from people who are skeptical.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It’s interesting that the arguments pro / anti O’Donnell are actually more venomous than the pro / anti Palin arguments. For the record – I am pro Palin, but I understand some of the concerns people have about her as a potential candidate.

Monkeytoe on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Good post, Ed. Much to think about today.

I’m still on the fence here. This so-called giant citizen wave of angry freedom-loving voters produced a whopping 29,000 votes for Christine O’Donnell. That would barely fill a rest stop on the Delaware Turnpike. She beat the most horriblest, old, dinosaur, establishment Marxist RINO by a whopping 3800 votes. And yet today people are ready to anoint her the new Sarah Palin. (As a reminder, Marco Rubio got over a million votes in a basically uncontested primary in Florida; Joe Miller got 56,000 votes in Alaska).

It’s pretty easy to get 29,000 people to vote for you. Yeah, yeah, I know, if it was that easy why didn’t Mike Castle do it? Obviously, he thought he didn’t have to go out and ask people to vote for him after 40 years in office. Bad idea. He took some very bad advice from some Beltway political pros and went after O’Donnell and turned her into a cute little kitten who was being mauled by this mean old pit bull. Nobody likes that. In political terms, Castle deserved to get beat. O’Donnell ran the better campaign. She got her voters out and Castle didn’t.

And I TOTALLY get the “send a message to the RNC” thing. The Republican Party as an organization is still really out of touch with average voters. I don’t think asking Mike Castle to run for the Senate is by itself indicative of that – he is the most popular politician in the state, but the way the GOP acted in this race and in Alaska is. So it is a salutary thing to kick their asses again in Delaware. I think it amazing that all these “insurgent” candidates are winning. I think it will be great for America in the long run. Most of these winning candidates are great people who will form the nucleus of a new Party in the years to come. I don’t think Christine O’Donnell is one of them. I don’t like her any better today than I did yesterday and I don’t think she is a conservative.

But mostly I’m really, really hung up on that 51st vote in the Senate. I don’t see how we get there now. O’Donnell cannot win a general election in Delaware, she has already proven that 4 times. And because of her vanity trip, we’re probably going to have Dick Durbin as our next Senate Majority Leader. We’re going to have some Marxist as Chairman of the Environment and Energy Committee (Hopefully not Barbara Boxer, but it will be someone just as liberal), instead of Jim Inhofe giving a full-body-cavity exam every day to Lisa Jackson and getting Carol Browner fired. We’re going to have Pat Leahy back running the Judiciary Committee and ramming through more Marxist judges, instead of Jeff Sessions refusing to allow votes on them and holding Eric Holder accountable for the atrocities happening in the Justice Department today. We’re going to have Obama making more recess appointments and eventually I think most of his Administration will be made up of people who have not had a confirmation hearing.

This stuff MATTERS. Well, at least it matters to me. Anyway, it is what it is. I’m not going to stalk off and fume about it and I’m not going to trash O’Donnell anymore. She’s the Republican nominee and of course I hope she wins. I’m going to do what I can to help Pat Toomey here in Pennsylvania and hope we can still eke out a 10-seat victory in the Senate races elsewhere.

rockmom on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

So, you won’t answer the question. Got it. I rest my case.
fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

The official “Leave No Seat Uncontested” strategy had to be tweaked a bit after the acceptable candidate lost.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

She might not have such a hard time in November. After all, she’ll be running against a self-professed bearded Marxist.

UltimateBob on September 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM

That’s what’s being lost in this kerfuffle. I’ve even seen nominal Republicans here telling us what an ‘impressive resume’ Coons has. Sure it’s impressive, if you are applying for a job as one of Bammie’s czars.

We need to refocus on Coons and all his flaws. For starters, if he’s a marxist, in my mind that means he is stupid.

slickwillie2001 on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Wow moneybomb now at $170,000 no end in sight. It’s like the dam has broken wide open. I don’t remember any moneybomb doing this before. Maybe hoffman. I don’t think Brown did this well.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

She is going to hit $200,000 sometime around 12:00PM EDT, some 45 minutes from now. What will her next goal be? $500,000?

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Ah, again, you require everyone to use your definitions, and answer questions ‘yes’ or ‘no’ when there are other defensible answers.

Honest disagreement, or stifling of dissent?

Lt: Heh. ;) I’m also doing CYA, because I don’t want people to be painted with the same brush as … a few people here.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I stand with fossten and have no use for anyone who will continue to harp on how much better the Dem is than the GOP candidate that just won. COD should savor this win, she earned it against some very tough odds. I am ready to be done with the nattering nabobs of negativity around here.

alwaysfiredup on September 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Boom! taste some O’Donnell nightstick Rove:

Everything that he is saying is un-factual. And it’s a shame because he is the same so-called political guru that predicted I wasn’t going to win. And we won and we won big,” Christine O’Donnell told me this morning. “So I think, again, he is eating some humble pie and he is just trying to restore his reputation.”

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM

But the one thing you can count on is that if O’Donnell gets beat in the general it won’t be a flawed candidate that is the reason, the mantra will be “The RINOS didn’t get behind her enough”

Wonder if Ed will advise the O’Donnell faithful to grow up if that occurs? Nah, probably not.

Bradky on September 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

That will be highly contingent upon whether or not they actually do get behind her.

As you may have noticed, last night’s losing candidate refuses to ‘get behind her’.

Thank you, please try again.

KinleyArdal on September 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

you need to stop baiting and drawing return fire

Baiting?

I’m thought it was commenting. With passion. o_O

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Vyce: Oh, so conservatives need to be ‘made to see’ the light?

I thought we left that kind of thing to liberals?

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM

They put a new image up, $50,000 $200,000.

Now a new strike out is coming.

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM

My money will go straight to the candidate.

Perhaps another idea whose time has come. Like donating to any other large organization, I’m always curious about how much money goes to the “cause” to which I’m donating, and how much goes to “expenses”. One of the few solicitation requests I even bother to open these days are the ones from the Club for Growth.

oldleprechaun on September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM

And the Senate seat?

That’s the prize, Christine.

Not the primary.

Han Solo, again:

“Don’t get cocky.”

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM

She hits $500,000 The next day the race becomes a toss up. the Gop establishment was hoping to starve her and thus prove their point that a conservative could not win. Add in the Demint $175,000 and its a whole new ball game.

Saw O’donnell on GMA she did very well as well as boxer or dole ever did in an interview.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Experience matters.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Let me continue some thoughts on this.

Just because someone is “experienced” doesn’t mean that they are any good at their job…

…and just because someone doesn’t have experience doesn’t mean that they can’t do the job and do it well.

Now, I’m not saying we should reject all “experienced” and support all “inexperienced”…

…but we should be looking, instead, at the QUALITY and EFFECTIVENESS of that experience.

And, as I said before, the Senate is a much better place to mitigate inexperience than the office of President.

Look at our current example – when Obama was an inexperienced Senator he had little to no impact on what was going on. His inexperience didn’t really affect much.

However, as an inexperienced President…

Anyway, I would have preferred a candidate with some real experience…

…but I’m not about to give up on her because she doesn’t have it.

Religious_Zealot on September 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Lt.: Ah, so you’re trying to keep the rest of us ‘grounded’? Sort of AP-lite?

I do agree that keeping your eye on the goal is important. It doesn’t seem like she has a problem with fundraising, though…

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

The GOP effed up bigtime on this one.

Telling Americans that they can’t do it without you was dumb, Joe Biden dumb.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I totally agree.

So when you apply that to Christine, as Coons certainly will…

That’s my main problem.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

The GOP effed up bigtime on this one.

Telling Americans that they can’t do it without you was dumb, Joe Biden dumb.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Yeah, everytime the “establishment” does something like this … whether it be democrats or Repubs … it just reinforces in people’s minds that they think they’re the ruling class. It backfires.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Ben at Politico is running this:

Cornyn:

Let there be no mistake: The National Republican Senatorial Committee – and I personally as the committee’s chairman – strongly stand by all of our Republican nominees, including Christine O’Donnell in Delaware.

I reached out to Christine this morning, and as I have conveyed to all of our nominees, I offered her my personal congratulations and let her know that she has our support. This support includes a check for $42,000 the maximum allowable donation that we have provided to all of our nominees – which the NRSC will send to her campaign… today.

Fallon on September 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM

If you don’t like the Republican candidate Christine O’Donnell then support the Democrat. Put your money where your mouth is.

Chris Coons for Senate.

chief on September 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Are you fricking out of your mind?????

lovingmyUSA on September 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Han Solo, again:

“Don’t get cocky.”

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Let her celebrate the day after a win. And given how Rove went off on her last night, she needed to hit back. I thought she did well.

One thing about these new conservative candidates: nothing is ever easy, so they learn to hit back hard. The good old boys who waltz into office don’t learn this and they bend with the political winds when in office. But if you had to fight an ideological war to get to your seat, you will be less likely to forget what got you there. My $0.02 anyway.

alwaysfiredup on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Breaking from Politico – NRSC gets off its duff, endorses O’Donnell, sends her a “maxed” $42K check.

Would the die-hard Sand Castle types (and that includes Castle) please get on board now?

steveegg on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Lt.: Ah, so you’re trying to keep the rest of us ‘grounded’? Sort of AP-lite?

I’m more despised than AP is by a few people here, probably.

But sure, and flattered :-)

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Not at the moment. She’s fresh off the victory.

Let’s hope it continues.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Chris Coons for Senate.

chief on September 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

…wait, what?

KinleyArdal on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Yes, which is why I said “as for me”.

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Of course I know the election results, which is why I said the GOP should save its money and wait for my predictions to come true.

Back in the real world, what we do know is O’Donnell basically has no chance (short of a Coons implosion which would see her win either way). What we also know is there are upwards of 12 GOP Senate candidates, most quite cood ideologically, with better chances of winning where support will go a lot further.

At any rate, the money bomb is going great I keep hearing, let the tea party carry her and reap all the glory.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

So when you apply that to Christine, as Coons certainly will…

That’s my main problem.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

People want to get away from controlling, big, socialist government. Right now I don’t think people care if a candidate has three heads. They want someone who they’ll trust to make a hard right turn away from the cliff we’re headed off of. Hang the “bearded Marxist” label on Coons … in his own words.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM

…Democrats overjoyed that the opposition has handed them a late and desperately needed chance to reframe the national argument about the 2010 elections…

This seems to be the meme today. Most of these types are republicans. I’d just like to remind them of the Rubio/Christ race.

That race was once considered a long shot too.

Hey RNC – support your candidate & stop publicly trashing her.

Dorvillian on September 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM

oldleprechaun on September 15, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I quit years ago. That includes charities. If someone needs help, I donate directly and moniter how the money(or an equal amount) is spent. I learned this the hard way through a Native American cause I thought I was supporting. Nonprofits make sure the maximum amount allowable is spent on administrative costs and salaries. Reading their annual reports can be enlightening.

a capella on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

steveegg on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

and so we see…..the train is leaving the station and Johnny Q Cornyn has just bought his ticket for a seat.

this is a shovel ready job folks. The job? Shoveling coal into the furnace of this engine and getting this baby up to ramming speed by election day.

grab. your. shovel.

ted c on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Does the three-headed candidate have experience going through a budget and deciding where billions of dollars of your money should be allocated? ;-)

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

So when you apply that to Christine, as Coons certainly will…

That’s my main problem.

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

The experience or lack thereof of O’Donnell does not exist entirely in a vacuum.

In an election, it exists in contention with the experience of the other candidates.

So the question isn’t “what experience does O’Donnell have?”…

…the question is “how does O’Donnell’s experience stack up with the quality and effectiveness of Coons’ experience?”

I don’t think you will get many here to state that O’Donnell is a great candidate.

Indeed, I believe most here find her (deeply?) flawed.

But that’s not the point.

The point is whether or not she’s a BETTER candidate than Coons.

Which, IMHO, she is.

Religious_Zealot on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Bradky on September 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM

But isn’t that what is expected of the TP people when their preferred candidate loses in the primary? That they “get behind the Party’s choice?”

katiejane on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Lt: No problem. I know that I tend to the idealistic, and I think keeping us grounded (while not being wholly negative) is a valuable service.

Interestingly, you’re sort of the FO keeping the laser on the target of the Tea Party bomb. ;)

Or, to use a different image, you’re the riding crop used judiciously to keep us moving in the right direction.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Give us electable conservatives not RINOS! I’m donating to ODonnell — ARE you listening you “establishment” repubics?
rebuzz on September 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Uh, well, hate to break it to you….

Anyway, Good Lt. said it best in another topic. Just yesterday, many of you O’Donnell supporters washed your hands of us non-O’Donnell supporters, with particularly harsh invective at that.

And yet now you’re whining about party unity.

There are consequences for behavior, and it’s time to be the big men and accept responsibility for yours.

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

rockmom on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

in 2006 121,000 votes would have won the Senate. The fact that 60,000ish GOP voters turned out for a primary says a bunch.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I think this posting is overly harsh. The DE seat was part special election since the winner would take office right away in Nov. That made it particularly important. Plus, we don’t often win senate seats in blue states and this was a very good opportunity that has almost certainly slipped away. Ms. O’Donnell seems pleasant and articulate, but she has a very thin resume. Conservative statewide candidates for blue states need to be very, very good candidates: solid leadership credentials, excellent communication skills, and very diplomatic in courting a wide swath of voters. Someone like a Marco Rubio or a Pat Toomey would have been a good choice for DE. However, there wasn’t such a candidate on the radar. The GOP establishment recruited a proven statewide winner in Mike Castle – former governor and current statewide congressman. You can fault them for not being totally in touch with the Republican voters, but it’s hard to recruit top shelf GOP candidates in blue states – particularly in a very expensive media market. Not a lot of people want to sign on to running a very expensive campaign in a state where they are complete underdogs. After losing so many seats in 2006 & 2008, the hated establishment had a lot of ground to make up nationwide, and Delaware didn’t have as much of a “farm team” to work with.

Also, let’s give Mike Castle a day or two to catch his breath. He gave up a safe House seat to make this run, got smeared as a hated liberal, had ugly & baseless gay rumors tossed at him, and saw a successful career go down in flames in favor of a candidate who seems like a bit of a lightweight. He announced he was not going to be launching a write-in campaign. After so many years he’s earned a day or two to see if he wants to endorse Ms. O’Donnell.

Jill1066 on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

moneybomb just topped $180,000. over 91% to goal.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

We had a disagreement in this primary race. The primary is over. Let’s try and get back on the same page.

Monkeytoe on September 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Ain’t freedom grand! The good people of Delaware went to the polls yesterday and freely cast their ballots in a primary election to pick the person they wish to have represent them in the general election.

The electorate of Delaware has spoken. We who do not live and pay taxes in Delaware should honor their decision, and support it if we see fit, or perhaps shut up if we don’t. They made their decision.

If some of us thought that the vote should be different then we should have moved to Delaware, became a legal resident, and cast our vote.

Yoop on September 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

O’Donnell is raising $10,000 every 15 mins unbelievable.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM

That “Lt” in Good Lt’s nic tells me he is serving or has served his country. Fossten, it would be good if you could respect that, even if you don’t agree with Good Lt’s point of view. He’s no troll.

The primaries are over — time to get to work in all 50 states! (I’m volunteering in a State Assembly campaign for a Tea Party-supported Republican candidate, so I’m putting both my money and my time where my mouth is…)

Mary in LA on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Jill1066 on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I agree with that.

But maybe he’d be better off keeping silent in that day or two instead of having aides publicly proclaim that he ISN’T going to endorse O’Donnell?

Religious_Zealot on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM

You don’t need experience when you have principles and adhere to the Constitution. You direct funds appropriately. The basic responsibility of the federal government is protecting liberty. Take it from there.

Like I said above … I really don’t think people are looking at experience. Trust is the big factor here. Can people trust this person to decide, based on the Constitution, what in the best interests of the US.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Bishop on September 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

No strategy can be left unchanged. You have to adapt to changing realities.

Boom! taste some O’Donnell nightstick Rove:

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM

All the graciousness of her supporters.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

The message should be to all Democrats (and other incumbents) that the people are so fed up with Congress that the people are voting out all those that followed Obama, Pelosi and Reid will be voted out of office. The Republicans just showed they are so serious about it by voting out incumbent Republicans who were followers of OPR (Obama, Pelosi and Reid).

albill on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Castle was a RINO liberal anyway. What’s the fuss, GOP? You elitist morons.

ultracon on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Get over yourself. You’re not that important.

alwaysfiredup on September 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Didn’t serve, love those who did, and thanks :-)

I’m not worrying much about fossten. I’m sure he/she/it and myself will be on the same side on another issue in the future.

But at the moment, I’m a “troll-douche-RINO.” So proceed with caution :-)

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM

All the graciousness of her supporters.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

lol hmmm she was responding to an attack by Rove. I.e practice what you preach.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM

All the graciousness of her supporters.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Rove was an ass. He deserves it.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM

…And start apologizing. A little ass-kissing will go a long way to start hurt feelings.

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Are you really playing the victim here? Are you expecting anyone to agree that the Castle people weren’t as harsh as you accuse the O’Donnell side of being? And you honestly expect an apology?

katiejane on September 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thank you for pointing out the embarrassing weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth over Castle’s loss to O’Donnell. They ought to take a lesson; how many lessons after all, does it take for them to actually learn something? Massachusetts, Virginia, South Carolina, and too many more to count. The establishment just doesn’t want to heed the voters, who keep trying to tell them they’re fed up with ‘politics as usual.’ Martha Coakley might be watching the predictions about O’Donnells impending defeat with a little wiser attitude today, than I’ve seen from some GOP establishment types. And, I guarantee you, Biden is experiencing a little anxiety, bravado notwithstanding. Because he knows full well that the DEMS LOST TED KENNEDY’S SEAT and that wasn’t supposed to happen either.

They ought to get their butts in gear, get Castle’s endorsement out there, and give O’Donnell at least some support. To do otherwise is churlish and childish indeed.

mountainaires on September 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

The issue with Rove is exactly this:

Reporter: But what about Reagan’s mantra about not talking crap about Republican candidates?

Rove: Sure, but .

He basically contradicted himself in the exact same breath.

And his public backstabbing of a primary winner is going to resonate for a while.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM

The RNSC may of given their max, but they can buy $500,000 in ads like they did for Scott Brown, so did the RNC. That is the reported amounts.

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Didn’t serve, love those who did, and thanks :-)

Good Lt on September 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM

You’re welcome! I likewise didn’t serve, but love those who did and do. (Lots of military folks in my family.)

So how did you pick your nic? Is it a literary or movie reference?

Mary in LA on September 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

unseen, $1m a day, wow, Brown got some $1.3m the first 24 hours and Palin helped pull in some $4m for McCain.

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Wooster: Oh, true, but at least they figured out which side of the bread is buttered here.

Wasn’t it aides for the NRSC that said they weren’t go to support her?

If that’s true, shouldn’t they be getting sacked right about now?

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM

He basically contradicted himself in the exact same breath.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I agree. That was really puzzling and disappointing to me. Karl Rove is supposed to be a political wizard who acts on long-planned strategy, not passions of the moment. What came over him?

Mary in LA on September 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Slightly, OT
O’Donnell is certainly not the only candidate, that receives little help from the establishment R’s.
I’m helping Janet Contreras defeat Ed Pastor(D), in AZ 4th District.

Jeff2161 on September 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Mary in LA on September 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM

It seems to be what happens when you’re in DC too long. They become accustomed to living in a bubble and forget everything else. We become the “little people”. I don’t think it’s intentional, it just happens. They become arrogant and ignorant.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Mary: Well, the meme du jour that the ‘establishment’ Republicans are running scared of the Tea Party probably has at least some basis.

Part of it may be the lackluster candidacy of OD.

Lots of speculation; very little hard data. What can be said that, according to the polls, control of the Senate is farther away.

But then, his ‘rant’ also pushed it farther away, though much less so. So how can he stand by it?

Puzzling all around.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM

steveegg on September 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Steve, the GOP needs to get behind the conservative candidates in a big way. The voting public is in no mood for business as usual, and the establishment shuns candidates at their own peril. Like Ed said”

Grow up, shut up, and get to work.

simkeith on September 15, 2010 at 11:44 AM

WoosterOh on September 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

thanks didn’t know that. I was thinking the McCain thing was over several weeks. but didn’t know Brown got $1.3 million. That’s a goal we should shoot for then.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

at $190,000 now. yeap 10,000 every 15mins

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

So, you won’t answer the question. Got it. I rest my case.

fossten on September 15, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Actually it’s none of your business, and you need to STFU about calling people trolls. I have about had it with your pointed attacks. I didn’t agree with Lt. but you are over the top in your little vendetta here. Drop it and get on with the campaign now.

lovingmyUSA on September 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Rove was an ass. He deserves it.

darwin on September 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM

lol hmmm she was responding to an attack by Rove. I.e practice what you preach.

unseen on September 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Oh ok, tit-for-tat and all that. No need for someone who wants to be a US Senator to show magnamity and graciousness in her victory.

He basically contradicted himself in the exact same breath.

Scott H on September 15, 2010 at 11:38 AM

There are exceptions to every rule, and I agree with Rove this is definitely one of them.

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

jarodea on September 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

This is why I referred to the “true con” philosophy yesterday as apocalyptic . Their strategy for obtaining majority control seems to be to let Democrats ruin the country to the point where the nation will beg for hardline conservative control. I’m sorry, I can’t abide by that.

Vyce on September 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM

O’Donnell is a fu*king disaster.
there are enough batsh*t crazy clips of her to ensure she never gets elected.
Another great achievment by the Teaba*gers.

Dave Rywall on September 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM

lovingmyusa & KinleyArdal

How am I out of my fricken mind?

We still have many on here shedding tears for the Castle loss and still trashing O’Donnell.

I just provided the Coons website link so they could donate and volunteer for his campaign.

Did either of you read my entire post?

chief on September 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM