Video: Paul Hodes, sausagemaker

posted at 9:30 am on September 14, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In New Hampshire, Republicans will go to the polls today to select the nominee for the Senate seat vacated by Judd Gregg, who will retire this year.  A few voters may wonder whether Paul Hodes has tossed his hat into the ring for the GOP after watching his latest ad, “Hot Dog,” in which he poses as a fiscal conservative.  As the axiom states, “Those who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either being made,” and Hodes does his best to play the role of Congressional hot dog without ever letting voters know that he has been one of the sausage makers of Nancy Pelosi’s Democratic caucus:

Notice which word never gets mentioned in this spot? “Democrat.” Hodes wants to demonstrate “how they spend money in Washington” without ever acknowledging that Hodes himself as been in the Beltway for almost four years — and has voted in support of Nancy Pelosi’s agenda all along. Hodes voted in favor of the FY2010 budget, for instance, that represented a 38% increase in annual spending from FY2007, the final Republican Congress budget, and which added $1.1 trillion to the budget during that period. Hodes also voted for Porkulus, at least in committee.

But that’s hardly the end of the dishonesty.  Hodes claims to refuse earmarks.  According to Citizens Against Government Waste, that’s flat-out false.  Hodes took 28 earmarks in 2010 for a total of $51 million; he took 29 in 2009 for a total of $33.6 million; and in 2008, he took 35 earmarks for a total of $35.5 million.  Maybe Hodes thinks he can make that claim because he didn’t take any in FY2011, but there’s a reason for that — the Democrats have failed to even start the budget process for FY2011, which starts in seventeen days.

Hodes also claims to have voted against the bailouts, but that’s something less than a half-truth.  He may have voted against TARP, but he did vote for transferring TARP money to the auto bailout, which he even announced in December 2008.  He also voted for the $14 billion “loan” to auto companies.  Hodes voted to bail out Fannie and Freddie, too.

Finally, while the employment situation melted down around us, Hodes was backing ObamaCare and cap-and-trade.  Those are not only the opposite of fiscal conservatism, they are also evidence that Hodes is out of touch and deaf to the concerns of his constituents.  Hodes is no hot dog; he’s a sausage carrier for Nancy Pelosi, and this pose is as authentic as a tofu frank.

Comments

Mrs. Dog and I saw a lot of folks asking for Republican ballots this morning.

dogsoldier on September 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Not to mention the fact that he’s been pretty much running for Senate to the near exclusion of everything else (except rubber-stamping Pelosi) for at least the past year. Hodes really is a jackass in the truest sense of the word.

crazy_legs on September 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM

“Ok, ready everyone! Now clap and yell really, really loudsao they don’t actually here what I’m saying.”

What a hot dog!

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Ed, like it: “as authentic as a tofu frank”

DrStock on September 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

He’s been airing that pack of lies for a few weeks now and it still makes me foam at the mouth.

I’m pulling for Ovide to win the R nomination but Kelly would make a fine choice too. Either can beat Hodes.

livefreerdie on September 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Now I’m hungry for hotdogs. Hebrew National, with spicy brown mustard and onions … or with chili, sauerkraut and Tabasco.

darwin on September 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

darwin on September 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I shake my fist at you, sir. I am hungry, and stuck at my desk. ._.

KinleyArdal on September 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Well..of course. That was the “in thing” back then. You were a nobody if you were against the “American Takeover Movement”.
Hiding the sausage..it’s good for everyone.

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Mrs. Dog and I saw a lot of folks asking for Republican ballots this morning.

So did Mrs. Crazy Legs and I.

crazy_legs on September 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM

darwin on September 14, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Nathan’s all the way!

BTW, I noticed that Oscar Mayer has a new variety-Angus Beef hot dogs. But how could one taste the difference?

Del Dolemonte on September 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Toss his lying a$$ into the sausage grinder, N.H. voters.

You deserve better.

AZCoyote on September 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Spotted another RINO, did we.

tarpon on September 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Breaking!
==============

Iran to Free American Hiker on Bail

Somebody paid it!

canopfor on September 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM

My opponent’s supporters are holding his signs right next to their Hodes signs, as we speak.

I should send them a thank you bouquet.

Bruce MacMahon on September 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Here in VA in a field off Interstate 81 there is a huge semi trailer with a banner on it that says ‘CONGRESS HAS FAILED US. VOTE THE INCUMBENTS OUT”

I love that someone did that. It used to be in my little town and I thought they had taken it down, but they actually moved it where it would get more exposure. HA!

scalleywag on September 14, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Bruce MacMahon on September 14, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Ewwwwww… you voted for Dukakis? ;-)

Good luck in your race. How do you think it’ll turn out?

Abby Adams on September 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

“‘I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee’…and then we throw dog poopie on their shoes”. – Steve Martin

AubieJon on September 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Paul Hodes Voting Record
===============================

canopfor on September 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Fun fact:

Did you know that Massachusetts union thugs hire buses, fill them with leftist college students, drive to New Hampshire, go from polling place to polling place, voting democrat?

Voting fraud is something we need to get serious about, instead of making jokes about.

Rebar on September 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Does Ayotte have it locked up in NH?

Abby Adams on September 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

The hotdog is very symbolic of these guys because like a dog, you just never know what’s inside those darn things and merely have to go by the reputation of the seller. In this case – don’t buy it – go for the Mucke’s or the Fenway Franks and avoid the inevitable botulism!

Don L on September 14, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Paul Hodes, sausagemaker

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Does Ayotte have it locked up in NH?

Abby Adams on September 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Judging by the shrillness of the radio ads her opponents are running here, I would say yes.

Del Dolemonte on September 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hodes wants to demonstrate “how they spend money in Washington”

Voters want to demonstrate they remember how Hot Dog Hodes spent money in Washington

Hodes gets buns scorched in November

ziggyville on September 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Example?

Abby Adams on September 14, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Speaking of sausage

While some were worrying about footbaths in airports…./sarc

Bradky on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Perfect example of what the Democrats do so well round election time.

Lie, deflect and mislead.

rickyricardo on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

“Sausage carrier for Nancy Pelosi…..”

OK, that just don’t sound right..

EEEwwwww!

Lonevoice on September 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM

most years it’s “vote for the lesser evil”

this year we have far too many good candidates here in NH and I fear it will split the vote.

Kimball for governor…but I’d be happy with Stephen

Lamontagne for senator..but I’d be happy with Bender (anyone but Binnie.I just get a snake-oil-salesman vibe off of him when he came to the rockingham 912 meeting)

Guinta for congress..but I’d be happy with Bearse or Bestani.

warhorse_03826 on September 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Guinta for congress..but I’d be happy with Bearse or Bestani.

Here in the 2d District I’d much rather have Horn over Bass. Bass had his chance and was part of the problem in 2006. Thanks to him we got saddled with Hot Dog.

crazy_legs on September 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM

“Bass had his chance and was part of the problem in 2006″

agreed. Bass screwed everyone with the assault weapons ban, among other things.

besides, I am firmly in the camp of “no more legacy candidates”

no sons/daughters/wives/husbands and certainly no ex-”you sent me to washington” people.

I laugh every time I see the Katrina Swett ads, and how she’ll “kick out the lobbyists”. yeah, all the lobbyists but her lobbyist and ex-representative husband Dick who will make MILLIONS lobbying over the kitchen table every night if she wins.

warhorse_03826 on September 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Aw, Hodes forgot his party affiliation. We’ll help him out: http://bit.ly/d31yOd

The Zoo Keeper on September 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Does this mean he feels that all politicians, including himself, are full of it ?

J_Crater on September 14, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I just laugh every time I think of the name “Dick Swett.”

crazy_legs on September 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM

there should be jail time when a canidate for public office outright lies complete ass clown.ill do my part to make sure he dosent get elected bank on it.

lees on September 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM

warhorse-
Charlie Bass is a dope and screwed up a lot, but it was dickSwett that cast the deciding vote on the so called ‘assault weapons’ ban.
That got him kicked out. His wife Kat Swett is trying to be the dem nominee but this uber-moonbat (and millionaire lobbyist/lawyer) Kuster will get the Marxist Party votes today.

HammerNH on September 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM

“I just laugh every time I think of the name “Dick Swett.””

I have to think he did it just to keep anyone running against “richard swett” from calling him a “DICK”

head ‘em off at the pass, as it were.

warhorse_03826 on September 14, 2010 at 1:37 PM

He’s definitely going after the clueless Obama voters.

HellCat on September 14, 2010 at 1:40 PM

where did my 2 comments go?

HammerNH on September 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Okay.
So I wrote Kat Swett’s husband’s chosen name and my comments vanished.
He could have chosen to be called Richard Swett (his given name) or he could have been Rich or Richie or Rick or Ricky.
But Kat Swett’s hubby wanted to be called d… ick.
That is NOT my fault.

As for Hodes, he should be known as Paul is-his-face-on-a-milk-carton Hodes after the way he bailed on meeting voters since MA0bamaScare got voted in.

HammerNH on September 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Am I the only one who makes sausage? There’s nothing wrong with watching the making of sausage. What makes me sick is watching politicians lie when they say they’re not lying. Maybe the comparison that Hodes should use is that no one likes watching a pig being butchered or the making of laws. At least then he’ll have an idea how we feel when they’re making laws.

JavelinaBomb on September 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Good luck in your race. How do you think it’ll turn out?

Abby Adams on September 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Got lots of good feedback from the voters at the polls today. I had an uncontested primary, but am running in a very libertarian-conservative-republican kind of town. The Dem is the incumbent only because no one filed to run against him in ’08 (I was a month shy of residency requirement).

So, I got a very good shot at this. It’s just not a good time to be a Democrat in New Hampshire.

Bruce MacMahon on September 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM