Quotes of the day

posted at 11:14 pm on September 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

I just finished watching Karl Rove trashing GOP Senate primary winner Christine O’Donnell. It was on Sean Hannity’s FNC show. Might as well have been Olbermann on MSNBC. The establishment Beltway strategist couldn’t even bother with an obligatory word of congratulations for O’Donnell. He criticized her “character” and “rectitude” and claimed she hadn’t answered questions about her financial woes. She did so here. Rove mocked her security concerns as “nutty.” Yet, her concerns have been more than justified. See here.

Rove came across as an effete sore loser instead of the supposedly brilliant and grounded GOP strategists that he’s supposed to be. Expect more Washington Republicans to start sounding like Tea Party-bashing libs as their entrenched incumbent friends go down.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

Oh good, I don’t have to wait up for the west coast replay.

Skandia Recluse on September 14, 2010 at 11:17 PM

As the pressure against the DC elite mounts, the true character of these puds will emerge.

Popcorn time…

katy on September 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM

As stated in the open thread, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from Rove. The votes weren’t even all counted and Rove is dumping on the REPUBLICAN

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Krauthammer: Palin’s and DeMint’s endorsements

Roves trashing of O’Donnell is destructive, capricious, irresponsible

Amadeus on September 14, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Good to see we’re helping people heal.

El_Terrible on September 14, 2010 at 11:19 PM

and Rove is dumping on the Republican winner! Used to think he was a genius. But that was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen on Hannity’s show. Guess what Tea Partiers, it’s not just the libs we’re fighting. Better plan to donate to O’Donnell, Angle, Rubio, etc. ourselves for the Republican Establishment feels the same about our candidates as the Democrats do.

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM

The lust for power is the greatest lust of all, and the Republican elite can also hear the roaring sounds of the hoi polloi, and they are scared.

Dhuka on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Rove, you corpulent bastard…

SuperCool on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Congrats on Carl Paladino!

ernesto on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I expect this. It is time to have this thing out in the open. They don’t like us and we don’t like them. It really is that simple.
All that BS they spout about don’t be the enemy of the perfect is a one way street. You see how Rinos act when the shoe is on the other foot. They pack up and go home. Fu&&cj them

kangjie on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

The GOP establishment has proven tonight that it does not respect the decisions of GOP voters.

They have EARNED THE TITLE …

“AYATOLLAHS”

HondaV65 on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

The Weekly Standard shares all his opinions.

They must be livid tonight as well.

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Ya know, I don’t know how far or to what expanse the TEA Party will evolve to, but if they can squeeeeze the friggen RINO’s out of the Republican party to a great degree, I think it’ll be worth it. Even if the Dem wins in podunkville states lile Delaware.

TAKE OUT THE TRASH!!!!

November’s Comin’!

44Magnum on September 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Sore loser. Smell the fear of the top elites. Yeah, may ya’ll all wake in a cold sweat every night from here till November. The ghost of Ronald Reagan has come calling for all the vooydoo economic phobics. Bwahaha

AH_C on September 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Might as well have been Olbermann on MSNBC.

No, Rove was unhappy. Olbermann is celebrating.

Jon0815 on September 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Rove wasted his credibility tonight. I’m stunned.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Wow. All along we thought it was only the Democrats and Obama trying to destroy our country. Now the GOP elites and political gurus have exposed themselves; they’re more interested in maintaining the status quo.

conservative pilgrim on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

C’mon Rove, it’s not like they burned a Koran or sumthin’.

Oh, wait, maybe it is…

Bruno Strozek on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I am shocked…SHOCKED, I tell you, to see the party that elected Michael Steele to head it and keeps him on no matter what trashing a conservative candidate.

Lily on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Dana Perino sounded even dumber than him. She’s getting way too snooty, lately.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Sheesh, the GOP never had a chance to win here regardless the candidate. But the TP’s sending a message to the GOP establishment and they don’t care for it. Heck, don’t rock the boat, sink it

E9RET on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I’m sure Rove told Bush to push TARP and the auto bailout. Beltway stooge.

roninacreage on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Rove wasted his credibility tonight. I’m stunned.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

We’ll know on November 3rd. We don’t know yet.

RBMN on September 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

ROVE legacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_elections,_2006

PALIN LEGACY:

2010 TAKEOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I lost a lot of respect for Karl Rove tonight. Fail.

Tasha on September 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM

p.s. you know if she wins she won’t beholden to ANYBODY in DC, that’s gotta make ‘em sweat a little contemplating that. Hell, I hope she’s a nut, we need to balance out the DEMS somehow!!!

E9RET on September 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Rove is dumping on the American people!
Let this sink in.

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Karl Rove was the brilliant engineer that led to the last 2 disastrous Republican defeats. He is a hard line Republican (not Conservative) loser. It would be better if he faded away.

FactsofLife on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Jedi my ass…. a Sith who works for the Dark Lord.

What the hell Karl. Bitter much? How long before that clip’s in a dem ad?

Spider79 on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

She’s getting way too snooty, lately.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Please don’t talk down my future wife.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Nrsc: “if we win, you support us. If we LOSE, we run home in a hissyfit”

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

So do the voters have to bow down to Karl Rove? Have Rove check our ballots and make sure we vote for who he wants?

Remember who Rove was pushing in 2008? Romney.

texasconserv on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Dana Perino sounded even dumber than him. She’s getting way too snooty, lately.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2010 at 11:24 PM

She is seeing her future in a Non existent Romney Presidency disappearing before her eyes.

It must be very hard for her.

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

He wants to get on record.

RBMN on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Might as well have been Olbermann on MSNBC.

Hit the nail with that one AP. Sounds like sour grapes from Rove. He may be proven right in the end with a loss in the general election, but you don’t have to load your opponents guns for them. Rove just made a political ad for the opposiiton.

Hog Wild on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

It is too bad Michelle didn’t bother to listen to the interview with Rove, which is apparent from her remarks.

Vashta.Nerada on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Quotes of the day

Another:

Heh.

Rae on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Stop buying their books. They’ll have to go out and get a real job and go down our memory hole.

Kissmygrits on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

HondaV65 on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Agreed. In fact Washington in it’s entirety doesn’t respect the decisions unless they agree with them – which is not so often. It is all very disgusting.

Rove could have at least said the people have spoken and we’ll see instead of giving the enemy sound bites for the next 2 months. Classless sore loser. Through another bum on the pile. I think I’ll burn his book.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

This is the kind of stunt usually reserved for the clowns in the California Republican Party!

There is Rove, trashing the candidate every step of the way!

I wonder if there will be ANY Republicans looking for Rove’s ‘blessing’ in the morning?

Looks to me like they ALL should steer clear of his compassionate conservative progressive agenda!

Freddy on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Oh, my.

Not only is this liberal versus conservative,
it’s also insider vs outsider,
AND
it’s generational.

The old dinosaurs are being routed by YOUNG conservative candidates, and the old guard doesn’t like it.

The old white men had a good deal, and now the young turks are blowing it up.

The next two years are going to be fricken’ insane.

Skandia Recluse on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I hope they realize that would be foolish. If the elites start attacking their own party they will anger the electorate and do far more damage than losing a squishy appeaser.

It is also pretty apparent that they are missing the prevailing mood of the electorate. How can they be so blind when the recent events have been pretty obvious?

Rove sounded like a pissed off lackey, he threw a tantrum on Hannity, and demonstrates everyone’s worse fear; the entrenched political elites have no respect for the will of their constituents. Deleware republicans voted, and chose an underfunded, “UNELECTABLE”, baggage toting candidate over the party boy. Disregard the will of the electorate at your peril. How long ago was Rubio “unelectable”?

Rode Werk on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

We’ll know on November 3rd. We don’t know yet.

RBMN on September 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Good point. But I’m falling back on Reagan’s 11th commandment. Rove should do same.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

We better get used to all these crybaby ruling class elitist’s. Because tomorrow, is going to be a rough day for our braintrust of intellectual geniuses like CK, Brooks, Noonan, and Scarborough.

John Doe on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

wow, it breaks my heart to see this…

big tent? not gonna happen

cmsinaz on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Might as well have been Olbermann on MSNBC.

Like it or not, she’s going to get hammered over her “financial woes”, her education claims, and her security crap. It is what it is, and she better be prepared to sound sand and credible when she is confronted with those questions.

The past matters when you’re a conservative; it’s celebrated when you’re a liberal.

She seems ok, but frankly, I’m worried.

BacaDog on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I think I’ll burn his book.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Better do it quickly…before there is a law against it.

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Hannity will probably cry himself to sleep tonight after having to hear one of his biggest heroes stump for the opposition.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

John Doe on September 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM

They have a target already picked out.

The Bunker up in Wasilla better have thick walls and a strong roof.

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

This is going to be a circus. Can’t wait to see her explain her anti-masturbation stance in a debate. Also, would love to hear her explanation why she has lied repeatedly in public statements. This is gonna bring a LOT of content to Hotair, and its going to be HILARIOUS watching her supporters go even further off the deepend sounding like truther kos kiddies defending her against the evil GOP establishment, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Both Rove and Perino looked shell-shocked. Time for all the phonies to come out of the closet now. Lets give the American people a REAL choice this November. I never liked Perino and am developing a real dislike of Rove. Notice how silent Romney, Huckabee and Gingrich were about this primary too. We need to keep an eye on the stealth moves that will be made in the next month or so by the establishment.

KickandSwimMom on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

sand = sane.

Proofread, man.

BacaDog on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Rove lost me today. Congrats to O’Donnell. Good luck in the Nov. elections. Will Castle get behind her or just sulk in the background…..I’m thinking the later

simkeith on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything like this…

RINOS………..out!

Period!!

If this doesn’t prove it what does?

And that goes for the Bush family and his boy here as well!

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

golfmann on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I think I’ll burn his book.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Better do it quickly…before there is a law against it.

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

I never got around to buying it – and now I won’t.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

The point is that Rubio is quite different from Angle, who is quite different from O’Donnell.

Rubio’s a stud and a great candidate. Angle is a questionable candidate and she put Nevada into a toss-up. O’Donnell is a terrible candidate.

I hope she wins, but you gotta be honest and look at her with eyes that see past her Tea Party credentials.

If David Duke decided to join the Tea Party would that mean we automatically looked past all his terrible baggage?

So we can’t see see the baggage that O’Donnell has strewn all over the place?

She won. So I hope she wins in November. But let’s not start comparing her with Rubio. There is no comparision whatsoever.

MikeknaJ on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Anyone else see the irony of trying to disprove things about O’donnell with links that aren’t there. Hahahahaa

Zaggs on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

On Rush, I heard what has become emblematic of the Elite. Rush played a clip of Castle recounting his conversation with Murkowski after her loss: she told Castle to watch out for “these people.” That’s what we are to Rove and the like, “these people.” I’m proud to be one of “these people.”

casel21 on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I heard Rove, and I heard Dana Perino. They both really irritated me.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Christine O’Donnell, as I only heard of her recently, but I knew about Mike Castle, and I very much disliked him.

The Republican party better straighten up and fly right quick because they are letting the hoi polloi know far too much what they really think of us.

I just went to the Senate Conservatives Fund and donated to the O’Donnell campaign. https://senateconservatives.com/takeamericaback

hachiban on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Rove just told the truth for once.

“These are all things Castle got RIGHT” Cap and Trade, Anti Life etc.

Guess in his heart Rove is a RINO.

Any respect I once had for him is gone. I now pray he will join his Democrat friends where he belongs.

Steveangell on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

The Empire Strikes back

faraway on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Oh, my.

Not only is this liberal versus conservative,
it’s also insider vs outsider,
AND
it’s generational.

Skandia Recluse on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

A little insight to what Sarah had to deal with when she ran for the Governor seat in Alaska.

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Punish the beltway GOP enough at the box office and they’ll have to listen.

Felonious Monk on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

MikeknaJ

As long as he filled out his questionnaires correctly, yes.

Zaggs on September 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM

I’m very disappointed that Berntsen lost. Very.

Connie on September 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Civil war on the right. The worst outcome possible. Look I have really enjoyed watching main street Americans taking it to the Political Industrial Complex. I am an independent conservative who can’t even rank as a RINO.’

But RINO hunting is a disaster for the right, I will post something later, but shooting at allies just creates openings for liberals.

If O’Donnell doesn’t win, if independents decide to bail on the GOP, we will have evidence that the fringes are poison – on both sides. If the GOP still wins the senate I don’t mind eating some crow (who would?). But I am not convinced tonight was a step forward. I blew a lot of election predictions by being too bullish in the right.

Let’s just say 2006 and 2008 and this year’s polls are clear – this is not a victory for far right conservatism. At best, it is a short lived reprieve which could, if bumbled, lead to two terms of Obama.

AJStrata on September 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Congrats on Carl Paladino!

ernesto on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I’m from Buffalo, and I’m walking on air right now.

KingGold on September 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Rush is gearing up for tomorrow’s intro as we speak. Today he said, “why can’t we overcome the polling gap? Who says it is impossible?”

So who are the Mike Castle voters gonna vote for in Nov? Are the gonna pout and stay home?

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Karl needs to get some sleep, wake up, and get busy SUPPORTING the Republican nominee. All this public negativity about matters that do not matter is unhelpful.

O’Donnell will be a principled conservative and vote as such. Her opponent (Coons) is a self-professed Marxist, now without a beard, and will be a consistent Reid/Schummer/Obama supporter seeking to advane Big Goverment.

That contrast is all that matters. Rove – Get your head out of your a**!

exdeadhead on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

It sounds like some of you would support a child molester if he spoke about strong conservative principles and was running against a RINO. I mean, according to you all, her past and her lies don’t matter at all. Oh, and don’t forget to blame EVERYTHING on the “ruling class” and the “elites”. You people sound more delusional than hardcore leftists at this point.

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Tonight is a repudiation of compassionate conservatism (progressivism) and the wedge issue campaigning that Rove used.

PattyJ on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Michelle malkin is an unprincipled imbecile. The NRSC doesn’t have to par the rent of this crook. They are expected to manage the money that they have, and not give it to crooks.

Chudi on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

It is the people against the entrenched class–that means Rove, Perino, even CK. This is it. We either take our country back from ALL of these people–Dems and RINO’s alike or they stay with the status quo and the U.S. goes the way of the dinosaur.

Colorado, Florida, Alaska, now Delaware…

Who’s next?

Oh, and to those who say she can’t win in November. Seems to me you were saying she couldn’t win in September either.

Hmmm… Might start recounting your chickens and eggs.

UnderstandingisPower on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Congrats on Carl Paladino!

ernesto on September 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I’m surprised you’re not rooting for Cuomo, ernie.

KingGold, what are Paladino’s chances like against Cuomo? Close enough that it’s worth slipping $100 his way?

Good Solid B-Plus on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

What was the amount that staffers on Capital Hill owe to the IRS? Which California Congresswoman had her home foreclosed on? I know that Republicans insiders never seem to use these things against their opponents but they don’t mind trashing people in their own party. Good job.

Cindy Munford on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

wow, it breaks my heart to see this…
big tent? not gonna happen
cmsinaz

Not when you impose an ideological lithmus test as stringent as the ones the TPE people are using.

Zaggs on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

hachiban on September 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Thank you.

Let us make this group the new NRSC. Boot those RINO’s out. Same with the RINO RNC. Fire them both they do not represent us obviously.

Steveangell on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Please don’t talk down my future wife.

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Congratulations! She’d have to have two mother in laws…

UPDATE 9 p.m. – Christine O’Donnell has won the Delaware GOP Senate primary, defeating Mike Castle, Allahpundit, Charles Krauthammer, and Jim Geraghty.

Dang, the other McCain left out Jenfidel, Rove and Perino!

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Typos, grrr

exdeadhead on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

KickandSwimMom on September 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM

STOP IT ALREADY.

Yes, let’s RINO-fy Rove, Krauthammer, Gingrich, and every other conservative who said something we didn’t like. Let’s get so pure that there are only 25 of us left. It’ll be super-terrific.

If a guy like KRAUTHAMMER can’t even dare to voice a differing opinion without some of you turning on him in a second there’s something seriously wrong.

Agree to disagree from time to time. Focus on the bigger picture. Congrats on the O’Donnell win – take it and move on to build a winning coalition.

MikeknaJ on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Rove is afraid that when the music stops all the seats will be taken.

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory: the GOP way. Sheesh!

ElectricPhase on September 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM

It’s already happened with the likes of Crist, Scuzzy-flavor, and Inglis all but declaring they’re Democrats. And that’s on the heels of S.P.E.C.T.R.E. who did in fact become a Democrat.

The GOP elites(and frankly a lot of us) probably didn’t see this coming. They thought the Tea Party movement was about defeating the agenda of Obama and the Democrats. And in many ways it is. But with all the damage that’s been done in the last 3 1/2 years, it’ll take more than a Republican majority to turn back the tide. It will require principled conservative leadership. And we know we’re not gonna get that with the likes of McCain and Grahamnesty leading the way.

So what we’ve witnessed during this primary season is the Tea Party evolving into something much grander in scale. It’s become a movement to take back the Republican Party. Reform it and return it to its conservative roots. Which means the political epitaphs of a lot of RINOs will be written in the months and years to come. And that scares the living hell out of the entrenched elitist Beltway crowd. They’ve long suspected they could use the energy of the Tea Party for the GOP to regain power in Washington. What they never thought was that they wouldn’t be around to enjoy it.

Doughboy on September 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I think Rove will wake up tomorrow with a bad case of…

… the ‘Law of Unintended Consequences’.

Enjoy!

Seven Percent Solution on September 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Go to 13:15 and listen to Karl’s ass get torn…

katy on September 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM

you forgot the links

ramrants on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Michelle malkin is an unprincipled imbecile.

Chudi on September 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

WTF????

John the Libertarian on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Mr_Magoo on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Maybe there is a clue in this as to how the house was lost in 2006 and 2008.

whbates on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Sorry Karl but political calculations won’t cut it this time. That is how we reached this sorry state of affairs. The people are demanding to be heard now and want to return to the core beliefs the republican party has decided to toss aside to win elections. There’s the door – take your pals Dr. K and Peggy with you.

DeweyWins on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Castle voted against a federal marriage amendment. This was the best reason to kick him out.

PrezHussein on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Ayotte is within 3.

29% reporting

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Rove you magnificent bastard.

Rebar on September 14, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Like I say, often, throw them all out. The good incumbents, the few, just need to suffer the consequences. The establishment, from the left, to the right, is impertinent beyond belief and any previous measure.

Schadenfreude on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

That’s not his job. Fox is paying him to be a political analyst, to give his honest opinion. Not to be a cheerleader for every GOP nominee.

Jon0815 on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Shake this tree hard enough, and the over ripen fruit falls to the ground. Over cultivation, bears sour fruit.

It turns out, Rove is nothing more than a Krauthammer voice box.

I for one, will not contribute to the GOP until they wake up and smell the burning electorate.

I will give to the TEA PARTY!

The GOP better wake up soon. Or else they will find themselves outside, looking in.

Kini on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Steveangell

Yes we don’t want to make it hard on the democrats to keep up a super-majority now do we?
God people wake the hell up. America is neither far left or far right. Get rid of everyone who is “unpure” even when the vote with republicans 87 percent of the freakin time (like Castle) and all you have left is a far right party that will never have a majority of anything besides losses.

Zaggs on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Anyone who doesn’t agree with me 100% is a RINO. That is the Tea Party way, apparently.

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya….

Inkblots on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM

*facepalm*

Karl, you really want to talk about people going to YOUR home? They were banging on your windows and scaring your children inside.

Seriously, dude, get a grip.

Christien on September 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM