Fox News: NRSC won’t spend a dime on O’Donnell

posted at 10:53 pm on September 14, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, not a surprise given their tepid congratulatory message tonight but a big mistake nonetheless if true. I understand the logic here — they want to do triage by not wasting money on a race they think is unwinnable — but they’re going to alienate a ton of “true conservatives” by writing off their new champion. And of course they’ll further deepen the rift between the grassroots and the, ahem, “ruling class,” of which the Beltway GOP is the very definition. They’re trying to limit the damage from the race but they’re only going to end up expanding it, and to pull the plug on her when she’s literally in the middle of her victory speech will stick in the craw of righties nationwide who are excited by her win. Just spend what you have to spend on her to give her a fair chance of winning, which is unlikely but possible. If you shortchange her, you only alienate people you need in November.

To see how deep the rift is, read this dispiriting Hotline piece about Republican leadership aides bitter about DeMint’s role in pushing an easy pick-up into the “likely Democratic” column. A bad, bad situation.

Update: People are asking for links to her donation page. Looks like there are two sites and both are down at the moment, but they should be here and here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Put up a link to her donation page allahpundit… I supported Castle over O’Donnell, but lets help give her some sead capital…

ninjapirate on September 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Make that “Seed Capital”…

ninjapirate on September 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

*@@#

pseudonominus on September 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

We dun goofed.

GW_SS-Delta on September 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Fuck the NRSC. Not going to give a dime to them.

taney71 on September 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Consequences will never be the same

GW_SS-Delta on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

LAME. I’m no O’Donnell fan but she won the primary and the party should support her accordingly. Neither option here was good – let’s play the cards that were dealt and hope we can win in November.

MikeknaJ on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Actually, just go to her website… her website is just not a donation box…

ninjapirate on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

F-ck the NRSC. I’m not going to spend a dime on them.

taney71 on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, I was pretty lukewarm to both sides of this p!ssing match, but just this news alone makes me wanna throw a few bucks her way and man the phone banks.

I also lost a lot of respect for Karl Rove tonight.

Purple Fury on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Well, if the NRSC won’t spend a dime on a Republican candidate, I certainly hope they don’t waste their money on postage asking ME for money. They can line up and take turns kissing my naughty bits.

oldleprechaun on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

O’Donnell slams NRSC on their track record in Senate races this year! YES! She said they will call the “party bosses” tomorrrow, but if they don’t support her she basically said she doesn’t need them…she needs the voters in Delaware.

SouthernGent on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

her website is now just a donation box… [probably to save on bandwidth]

I hope all the talk radio people give her a shout out too… let her put a message out.

ninjapirate on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

“NRSC won’t spend a dime on O’Donnell”

Here is their press statement…

Seven Percent Solution on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Sour Grapes. I am calling Cornyn’s office tomorrow to let him know I will support a primary opponent against him next time he is up. Not that he will care.

txmomof6 on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

N Now

R Republicans

S Secede (from)

C Conservatives

artist on September 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Looks like Jen Horn is giving Charlie Bass (another establishment GOP-er) all he can handle in NH02, too. Within 1%.

Purple Fury on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Some peeps mentioned a “whambulance” this evo. I thought the word was too funny. Would this thread be a proper one for that funny word?

Gob on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I really can’t stand the GOP establishment right now. Screw them. I’ve had it with them.

taney71 on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

time to donate

sbark on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

The Republican leadership sucks. I don’t care where you stood on the race. This is just stupid.

trapeze on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Now, more than ever, I hope she wins. Maybe then both of the parties will understand that they don’t own Washingtion, D.C…the people do.

kakypat on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Yeah..the RNC could only take a bad situation and make it much, much worse. They really are the best friends the Democrats have.

AUINSC on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

N Now

R Republicans

S S ecede (from)

C Conservatives

artist on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Palin’s and DeMint’s endorsements NRSC rejection of O’Donnell is destructive, capricious, irresponsible

Amadeus on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

BLESS SARAH PALIN.

SHE IS THE HERO OF 2010.

MITTENS IS IN HIS MANSION, HUCK IS STRUMMING THE BANJO, PAWLENTY IS STILL BEING BORING, AND NEWT IS HAVING WRITER’S BLOCK.

SARAH TOOK RISKS, DARN IT!!!!!!

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

So much for the “news to heal by” uh.
This is just typical but let’s face the fact. We NEED to have this war in the Republican party. It’s been a long time coming.

kangjie on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

That’s fine, I won’t be giving a dime to the NRSC, the RNC, or the NRCC…

However, to the individual candidates, I will be emptying my pockets.

rightwingyahooo on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Right? They could have quietly abandoned her later, at which point they’d be attacked for deceitfully taking money from conservatives and yet abandoning her in the middle of an election.

They were getting attacked either way. They might as well get attacked now instead of later.

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

No big deal – the NRSC doesn’t have squat for $$$ anyway after supporting Specter, Crist, and every other RINO out there.

thirteen28 on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Are these bozo’s trying to get Obama re-elected?

sharrukin on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I will never send another stinking penny to this RINO organization in my life. Rove and Perino can go shove it where the light don’t shine. This is just the beginning. Next cycle the rest of the RINOS are going to go.

jistincase on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

The GOP can ram it up its ass. The sooner that collection of dbags becomes politically irrelevant, the better.

Metro on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Gob on September 14, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Gob…this is a great thread for that word!

kakypat on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

artist on September 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I like that!

oldleprechaun on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Is this substantially different than Haley Barbour saying the RGA wouldn’t contribute anything to the CO governor’s race?

It sure looks like spite in this case though.

GnuBreed on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I also lost a lot of respect for Karl Rove tonight.

Why? His job is to give his honest political analysis, not be an O’Donnell cheerleader.

Jon0815 on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

John Cornyn is pure scum.

He might as well be working overtime for the DNC.

What a complete and total scumbag.

These people don’t even believe in elections or the rule of law. If their chosen ruling class candidate wins they take their ball and go home.

PATHETIC.

tetriskid on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

F-ck the NRSC. I’m not going to spend a dime on them.

taney71 on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I am changing my voter registration tomorrow…seriously. No, I wont change it to that!

Electrongod on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

This is so confusing — the NRSC told the tea party to get in line when we lost to the ‘preferred’ candidates — but now that THEY lost to US, they are taking their toys and going home???

GOOD RIDDANCE MORONS. the new method is giving to PACs and individual candidates anyways. this will just expedite the flow AWAY from cornyn & steele and into the hands of SARAH PAC

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I also lost a lot of respect for Karl Rove tonight.

Purple Fury on September 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Clearly the argument that control of the Senate and chairmanships was of paramount importance was just bluff. Obviously they only want to win with their choice not the people’s choice.

txmomof6 on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I really don’t understand the beltway boys complaining about the seat moving toward the democrat. They’re the ones who decided to run a terrible candidate that didn’t have the support of the voters. Had they pushed a strong conservative candidate, we wouldn’t have this problem.

Vera on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

If you shortchange her, you only alienate people you need in November.

You think people won’t turn out to defeat Harry Reid or Charlie Crist because the NRSC refused to waste money in Delaware?

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

NRSC committed hari-kari tonight. Sayonara.

faraway on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

THIS kind of crap is PRECISELY WHY O’Donnell won.

My collie says:

And it is THIS kind of crap that has to be PURGED from from the party. If not, then the party itself MUST GO.

CyberCipher on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Ha! The GOP is suddenly looking indistinguishable from those crazy journos ranting about how stupid Americans are.

You Can Suck It Matt Lauer!

hisfrogness on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Moneybomb

I think I’ll send a copy of my receipt to the NRSC with the gift message: “SUCK IT.”

Animator Girl on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Load your elephant guns, men. Tomorrow we dine on wild RINO.

joe_doufu on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Is this the same group who raced to help Lisa M and the counting in Alaska?

They had to walk that one back fast.

AnninCA on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Yeah!

sharrukin on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

How much is Obama paying McConnell and Cornyn?

It’s probably too much… they’d do it for free.

tetriskid on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

This is scary O’Donnell is a nut case. Do you people actually know her? She literally sneaks around her home and campaign HQ looking for spies and whatever. She has flirted with borderline fraud and theft for years.

Good lord she answers some dammed questionnaire and suddenly she becomes the Blessed Virgin for the tea party people. Maes in COL and now this.

Jdripper on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Are these bozo’s trying to get Obama re-elected?

sharrukin on September 14, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Really? Conservatives will stay home in 2012 or not donate money, giving Obama another term, because the NRSC — not the RNC but the NRSC — refused to give money to O’Donnell?

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

That does it.

I just donated $35 to Christine O’Donnell. That’s right.

I just funded a candidate that John Cornyn wont.

KingGold on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

the NRSC is acting stupidly here

blatantblue on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

If they won’t send it
We’ll cut out the middleman.
For RINOs, nothing!

Haiku Guy on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

As I said in an earlier thread, it would’ve taken little effort for Cornyn and the NRSC to publicly announce their support for O’Donnell while withholding campaign contributions behind the scenes.

But announcing to the nation that you’re refusing to support your Senate nominee while she’s giving her damn primary victory speech is not only classless, but spiteful and self-destructive. Hell, why not just come out and endorse Coons while you’re at it?

Expect Cornyn to get a strong primary challenge here in Texas in a few years. I know personally I’ve had it with this chump.

Doughboy on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

NRSC has done such a bang up job of selecting senate candidates thus far…

lorien1973 on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I guess they are just miffed. Palin really is knocking it out of the park on endorsements. Dang, the woman said she’d do it. And she’s doing it.

AnninCA on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

After the antics of Krauthammer, Rove, and the NRSC I will donate to O’Donnell.

And the GOP trashing DeMint to boot. Unreal..

davek70 on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Those clowns in the NRSC can kiss my big fat a@@ the next time they call. Sending all my money directly to candidates…indeed those buffoons need to learn that WE not THEY run this country. Tar and Feathers needs to come back into style.

PierreLegrand on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Yeah!

sharrukin on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

That makes sense. Let’s allow cap-and-trade, amnesty, card check, more big government spending, and higher taxes to pass because we’re angry at the NRSC.

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Triage my foot. Zero support? They don’t want to win that seat. They don’t want their buddies in the opposing party (who would EAT them if it meant votes) to give them dirty looks at cocktail parties. Puh-thetic. Alienate true conservatives is right. The Republican surge may have just peaked. Six weeks too early. Watch the polls flatten.

curved space on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Why bother?

The socalled self styled true conservatives wanted to support someone who has virtually no chance of winning in November..just to send a message.

They go out of their way to insult and alienate anyone who does not do as they say. People who do not support O’Donnell, like the guys at Powerline or John McCormack or Rich Lowry etc get called names, we have to listen to people tell lies about Castle’s record {such as he voted for Obamacare and he voted for the stimulus and he voted to impeach Bush, what nonsense all that was} and we are told in no uncertain terms that the pure do not want to be sullied by the inpure or by the nasty horrid Republicans. Fine..you got what you wanted, an unelectable candidate..why should the GOP waste their money on someone who can not win anyway and why would the real conservatives out there want all that RINO money anyway?

Terrye on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

It’s all good.

The establishment hacks in the GOP are hearing the villagers at the gates.

They will adapt or they will die.

rickyricardo on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Hey TPE wants her to win to buck the establishment, ok there ya go Tea Party Express, you support her.
No sense sending good money after bad since its all going to the same place, O’donnell’s landlord.

Zaggs on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Purity Powers activate!

Form of 49 seats in November!

Form of Epic Fail!

lorien1973 on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Check out the Wisconsin Governor total votes.

Dems 89,000 votes.

Reps 265,000 votes.

WoosterOh on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Give some of your cents to O’donnell because you never know her opponent might turn out to be a pedo.

TimeTraveler on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

2010 = dream year.

the big government dem ideology is repudiated for generations

the big government republicans are hunted down and purged

SARAH PALIN YOU MAGNIFICENT…

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Load your elephant guns, men. Tomorrow we dine on wild RINO.

joe_doufu

Weird, it tastes a little… um… bitter.

Fallon on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Doughboy on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

That was such a good post full of so much sense that it bears repeating.

kakypat on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Champion? Hardly. The NRSC is smart to stay away.

Vashta.Nerada on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

F*CK THESE TOOLS!

I was a Castle supporter (i know, heretic), but you stand behind your effing candidate, at least for now until you know how it’s going to shake out. These pricks are convinced they have some divine right to choose candidates and suddenly they are sanctioned by Jesus himself. And if their holy candidate bites it, they just throw a temper tantrum, take their ball, and go home. dumb sh*ts.

ReformedAndDangerous on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Jdripper on September 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Yeah, you’re totally right!

Lets just skip elections and have John Cornyn personally pick our officials.

Seriously, where are you from.

tetriskid on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I just threw her $50, just to stick it to the NRSC.

I get the triage argument and all that, and I’m not whining that they need to necessarily throw millions at this race. It just seems spiteful to me.

I’m also not so sure she’s the dead loser the conventional wisdom says she is. I’m not from Delaware but I just saw her on FNC and she comes across just fine. If I wasn’t a political junkie and I was fed up with the status quo, and a little suspicious of the Democrats after the last two years, I’d sure give her a look.

Purple Fury on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

The GOP establishment is in full pants-pissed fear mode right now.

About time.

Bruno Strozek on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Yea, she needs rent money for the rest of the year, begin your donations now people.

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I understand the NRSC’s position, but they are completely lacking in tact. The timing makes it look like spite. Completely unacceptable.

Red Cloud on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

NRSC committed hari-kari tonight. Sayonara.

faraway on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Seppuku.

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

amerpundit on September 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

This kind of crap sucks the oxygen out of any enthusiasm the rank and file might have. It tells them the GOP and the Democrats are the same damn thing so why fight to get the same scum elected?

How many do you think it is going to take for it to have an effect?

sharrukin on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

A few memes already spreading and soon to be supported by “conservative” bloggers:

Christine O’donnell is unelectable. (She just beat Castle in an election).

Christine O’donnell has baggage. (Castle doesn’t? His vote for Cap and Trade isn’t baggage?)

Christine O’donnell received a large contribution from The Tea Party. (How much money did Castle receive from his contributors? How much did Castle spend compared to O’donnell?)

Rode Werk on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Castle was the one who ran the nasty campaign. It backfired.

That’s the part I don’t quite get.

AnninCA on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

How much is Obama paying McConnell and Cornyn?

A better question is how much is he paying Mark Levin and the Tea party Express. They are the ones who have just saved a Senate seat for him, and probably the NV seat too.

Jon0815 on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Big mistake by John Cornyn and the NRSC…

d1carter on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Kleenex stock should skyrocket tonight, with all the crying we’ve seen tonight.

portlandon on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Screw the Rethuglican committees. Direct donations from here on.

pugwriter on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Check out the Wisconsin Governor total votes.

Dems 89,000 votes.

Reps 265,000 votes.

WoosterOh on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

THIS is why ODONNELL has a chance.

lib voters aren’t going to get “energized” in 6 weeks’ time.

obama has been on offense for 10 days now – and still – not a blip.

3x gop turnout in wisconsin, florida, delaware…. record setting HIGHS for gop turnout in a dozen states, record setting LOWS for dem turnout in a dozen states

THIS IS HOW WE WIN. SHOWING UP AND VOTING.

FORGET THE POLLS – the POLLS assume dems will vote. are any of your dem friends voting? are any of your gop friends NOT voting???

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM

they will have to walk this back within 24 hours, if not, epic fail for them…see ya cornyn

cmsinaz on September 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM

It’s getting tired. Look at the long term view here.

If she wins or not, the statement has been made: we have the power to knock you clowns of your establishment perch.

Your days of rosé and cheap hookers on the Potomac are coming to a close.

rickyricardo on September 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Fine..you got what you wanted, an unelectable candidate..

Which could have been easily prevented if the establishment had actually ran a conservative.

Vera on September 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I am a Democrat, so I almost hesitate to comment — but I think the NRSC just did her a favor. She would have real appeal as the compete Washington outsider, and would not be a tool of the establishment GOP. It is an angle that may make her more appealing in Delaware.

Mutnodjmet on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Purity Powers activate!

Form of 49 seats in November!

Form of Epic Fail!

lorien1973 on September 14, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Haha – awesome.

Vashta.Nerada on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I’m going to be donating to the NRSC now that I know they aren’t wasting it. This is the best decision Cornyn has made all year.

Mark1971 on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

thphilli on September 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Lemme guess: you either live in suburban Maryland near I-495 or northern Virginia near I-495.

am i close?

picklesgap on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Exactly. They’re a bunch of classless, sore losers. Utterly stupid.

conservative pilgrim on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Sh1t! This is the best thing that could have happened to the Democrats and the only thing that could save their butts…total GOP crack up. Disgusting.

AUINSC on September 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM