Video: Mark Kirk, the “Lame Duck Killer”

posted at 2:55 pm on September 13, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Consider this a double down on change, from the state that sent Barack Obama to the Senate and then to the White House.  The Senate election in Illinois will not just elect next session’s Senator, but also fill the seat now occupied by Roland Burris immediately after the election in this session.  Mark Kirk has decided to make than an explicit part of his campaign, appealing to Illinois voters to send a message of change from, well, Hopenandchange:

Kirk’s website now focuses on the lame-duck issue, calling it a “dangerous” situation. He warns, as he does in the video, that a last-ditch, nothing-to-lose Democratic leadership could push through tax hikes, cap-and-trade, and so on. It’s worth pointing out that the risk exists, but perhaps not at the level Kirk mentions here. Nancy Pelosi has a 77-seat majority in the House and could pass pretty much anything, but the Senate will still have at least 41 Republicans to block most legislation, and could have as many as 43, if Kirk wins in Illinois and Republicans take Delaware.

However, Democrats could start passing budget bills after Election Day and hike spending even further in 2011. In fact, they’ll almost have to pass a budget, since they have yet to even offer a budget resolution until now, and Pelosi and Harry Reid won’t want a Republican-controlled Congress issuing the FY2011 budget.  The Senate won’t be able to stop that, since budget bills fall under the reconciliation process and filibusters don’t apply.  Having two extra Republicans won’t change the fact that Harry Reid will still have a majority — but a wipeout on Election Day may have incumbent Democrats in the Senate from the class of 2006 thinking long and hard about runaway spending that can be used to attack them in two years, too.

Is running against Obama a winning strategy in Illinois?  According to the latest Rasmussen poll for the state, out today and showing the Republican Bill Brady up 13 over incumbent Governor Pat Quinn, Obama still gets a 54% approval rating from likely voters in the Land of Lincoln.  There’s some risk, but this may help in reminding activists around the country that it would be a good time to rally around Kirk.

Comments

Kill him, he’s a RINO.

Chudi on September 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM

We are really living in the twilight zone in his election, when qualified people like this are being disparaged for unqualified incompetents.

Chudi on September 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Kirk basically just made the case why Mike Castle shouldn’t be the nominee from Delaware. Mark Kirk already got the nomination. There’s nothing to be done about that. But Castle can be stopped.

D0WNT0WN on September 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Unfortunately, Kirk is a RINO and will do and say anything to win election. It’s the Chicago – oops, I mean, the Ill-noise way.

BobK on September 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Is it true that Mark Kirk was in the same high school graduating class as Rahmbo ?

J_Crater on September 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM

RINO Kirk > Gianoulias

ElectricPhase on September 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Is running against Obama a winning strategy in Illinois?

I’d think it would be a winning strategy anywhere.

Fallon on September 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM

RINO Kirk > PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT MOB BANKER Gianoulias

Added to it…

It’s a hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils.

Fallon on September 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Good God, Kirk is the biggest RINO around. He was my so-called “Representative” before I got smart enough to move to Texas. You may as well vote Demo as vote for Kirk – at least then you know exactly how you’ll get screwed over.

glockomatic on September 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Is an argument like that really going to resonate with voters? Seems an odd thing to focus on, when all you have to do is pound away on the economy and jobs…and your corrupt opponent. Could hit on Cap and Tax too, if he, er, hadn’t voted for it. Still better than the Dem alternative, but not a race I’m excited about in the least.

changer1701 on September 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM

With all the horrendous press surrounding the Democrat in this race, I’m surprised the race is as close as it is. Either Illinois is hopelessly blue when it comes to national elections or Mark Kirk, like most liberal Republicans, is a terribly weak candidate. He comes across good in this election, but I still remember him as a cap an trade guy.

Daemonocracy on September 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Right, let’s stop Castle, who might vote for some of the Dems’ lame duck legislation- which guarantees the election of Coonts, who will definitely vote for all of the Dems’ lame duck legislation. Brilliant strategy.

Jon0815 on September 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I’m sorry. I don’t willingly vote for warmists.

But…the alternative here is simply unthinkable.

Further, there’s that whole 51 seat thing again.

Get over that hump and the GOP controls the calendar, and it’s not the Kirks and the Castles that are going to get the key committee chairs.

JEM on September 13, 2010 at 3:24 PM

RINO. RINO. RINO. Screw the RINO!!! Get the RINO!!!

In all seriousness, this is coming from a guy who will replace Obama. The pyschological impact of the fact alone is worth supporting Kirk.

And of course, he will help in the lame duck.

swamp_yankee on September 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Kirk sucks. As I look at Delaware and wonder how people could be so stupid to support Christine O’Donnell (unqualified nitwit who will lose), I am constantly reminded that in my state of ILL, I still haven’t decided if I will vote for liberal jerkoff Mark Kirk, or just sit it out.

The differences between Kirk and O’Donnell: Kirk is highly qualified, well educated and experienced.

He is actively campaigning against and openly hostile toward conservatives.

He is also the GOP nominee. I guess this makes me an illogical hypocrite.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM

The last time Democrat majorities did something this stupid, they started the Civil War after they passed bills legalizing slavery … Look up the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854.

tarpon on September 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Also, Scott Brown represents the filibuster. The lame duck session killer is about getting some cushion. It would be nice to get 43 Republican Senators for the lame duck. A couple could defect and we would still have a filibuster.

swamp_yankee on September 13, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Wrong. Kirk is an Obama clone. Electing him supports Obama; it doesn’t repudiate him in any way.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Ed, nice to see you finally write about Kirk in Illinois. With all of the noise about Delaware, I have been waiting for someone to discover Mike Castle’s evil twin. They were separated at birth.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Really? Mark Kirk is an anti-Western, anti-American, neo-Marxist radical that believes the colonial, imperial, greedy, racist capitalist America needs to be humbled and subjugated for the benefit of the rest of the world.

swamp_yankee on September 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Further, there’s that whole 51 seat thing again.

JEM on September 13, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Exactly! Elect Kirk and Castle, and we’ll get people like Jim DeMint and James Inhofe and Jon Kyl and Orrin Hatch in committee chairs, and they can assign freshman Republicans to committees where they do the most good or the least harm. Solid conservatives like Hoeven (ND), Toomey(PA), Boozman(AR), or Rubio (FL) could get good seats, while RINOs like Kirk and Castle could be the caboose on an unimportant committee. But they’ll still vote for McConnell as Majority Leader, who can then control the Senate agenda.

If Kirk or Castle is not really a conservative’s cup of Tea Party, please remember: who would be a better Senate Majority Leader–McConnell or Dingy Harry or Upchuck Schumer?

Steve Z on September 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Is this sarcasm? I live in his district and recently went to a town hall. It’s nothing short of a miracle that Kirk lasted as long as he did here. There are Obama cultist/economic illiterates galore here.

Kirk is not perfect but he’s far from an “Obama clone.”

visions on September 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I can’t stand Kirk. I used to live in Illinois, and there is no greater ally of Obama in the GOP than Mark Kirk. I almost expected Obama to endorse Kirk in this race.

Of course, add to the fact that Kirk embellished his own service record. But that’s OK, since Kirk is a RINO. Not OK if you challenge a RINO.

Well, this slimball already won the primary, but the “RINO electability in a blue state” argument isn’t really working. He has a hard time beating the bank-mobster Democrat nominee.

Hopefully we won’t repeat the same mistake with Castle.

Norwegian on September 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Steve Z on September 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

And if either of these clowns are offered a committe chair from the Democrats in exchange for supporting the Democratic leadership? Don’t think they would take it? Think again.

Norwegian on September 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Hopefully we won’t repeat the same mistake with Castle.

Norwegian on September 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM

This is where I fail, miserably. I am hoping Castle wins in DE (because O’Donnell is nuts and will lose big) and I don’t think I can vote for this a$$hole in ILL. I guess I have no choice. I hate Kirk. Maybe we get him elected and then he somehow needs to be replaced. We’ll have a GOP governor!

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Norwegian on September 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM

That bubble has burst. The Dems are liars and greedy vermin — no way will their caucus give up their own seniority for a first-term GOP traitor.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Kirk is not perfect but he’s far from an “Obama clone.”

visions on September 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Don’t make me list the reasons to support my claim. Do it yourself just to show you know of what you speak.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM

swamp_yankee on September 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM

No, but neither is Obama. Let’s stay in the real world here. Obama sucks; he’s a lying liberal douche; and so is Kirk.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM

- Under 50% ACU for a full term under Pelosi. Pelosi!
- NRA “F” rating
- 100% NARAL rating
- Sponsor of idiotic hate crimes legislation
- Voted against the Iraq surge
- Lied a number of times on his resume about a military service award
- Voted for Crap and Trade

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

If the latest PPP poll on tomorrow’s Delaware primary is correct, 42 is the likelier number.

ncconservative on September 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Budget bills fall under reconciliation, yes, but I was of the impression that reconciliation only applies to changes to the budget that would reduce spending or increase govt income. Am I incorrect?

RachDubya on September 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Wrong. At least for FY2011, there is no reconciliation process, since a budget which would have contained the rules for reconciliation was never passed.

J_Crater on September 13, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I can’t trust anyone who is gay and won’t admit it. No one cares Kirk. Americans are way past that. But if you can’t tell the truth about your lifestyle, what else will you lie to us about. He’s Charlie Crist Jr. and he’s for Crap N Tax. Thanks, but no thanks. I’d rather have the mafia banker.

Jayrae on September 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Jailbones, I respect what you are saying about Kirk but there is only the possibility of Kirk or Giannoulias in Illinois. That is reality. There is no strong 3rd party candidate. We may get leadership positions with Kirk.

I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I’m holding on to my nose and voting Republican, even if it is Republican lite.

All those screaming RINO, seriously, what would you do if you lived in Illinois?

(Besides the obvious “move” answer, lol.)

Fallon on September 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Sorry, Jaibones, not Jailbones…

Fallon on September 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

People forget: WV is a special election as well. If Raese wins, Reid’s job gets much harder.

Mayhem on September 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I somehow suspect that Mark Kirk will be as “successful” at stopping the Lame Duck as Scott Brown was at stopping PlaceboCare (and by “successful”, I mean “EPIC FAIL”), with the same bouts of RINO-itis.

That said, Kirk did already win the primary, something Mike Castle hasn’t done as of this typing (despite certain people all-too-willing to hand him the Delaware GOP nomination).

steveegg on September 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I don’t care how bad Kirk is, we can debate that morning til night, he’s still not as bad as Alexi the mob banker.

Queen0fCups on September 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM

It’s attitudes like that that got us in this mess. Have fun bitching if another Obama ball boy gets to DC because litmus testers would rather wallow in anger and impotent rage than try and move the marker even a little bit.

Ask people who voted for Hoffman in the primary who they’ll vote for in November and it’s Gianoulias across the board. Ask people who voted for not Kirk and the answer is often “my guy didn’t win so I ain’t votin…”

There’s no more margin for error, knuckle draggers. The issues are spending and debt, and breaking a majority lock, not RINO’s who fail some vague purity test.

MarkT on September 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM

The time to do something about these RINOs is in the primary, and since not enough people voted to Patrick Hughes, Kirk is who we have, so suck it up.

Queen0fCups on September 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM

The far right and far left whine because some politicians are moderate. How dare we elect someone who’s not a fanatic jerk? But how well would a Senate that is all Jim Demint and Patrick Leahy work? It would be terribly bad the economy and everything to gyrate wildly from far left to far right and back again. Businesses couldn’t even function. RINOs are good for more than the winning votes they bring in some elections, they are essential for bringing stability. I’m proud to be a RINO. Admittedly I was extremely disappointed when Snowe and Collins voted for “stimulus”. RINOism shouldn’t mean compromise with stupidity. But if you hate any politician who votes against your preferences on a single vote, you going to find it hard to live in your world of purity.

thuja on September 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I drove through Illinois from Cairo to Rockford on Saturday. There was nary a campaign bumper sticker, billboard or yard sign other than a single one for Kirk and a few Pub congressional candidates.

Now Wisconsin from Eau Claire to Superior was different. 2 Feingold large yard signs a few for the two Pubs, Mielke and Duffy. None for any Dem other than the two for Feingold. This is Obey’s old seat.

Kermit on September 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I find it absolutely amazing that people on this site are so quick to call O’Donnell a liar, yet have somehow have a memory block on the fact that Mark Kirk lied about his military record.

Simply amazing.

Blarg the Destroyer on September 13, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I hate this f’er, but I have to hold my nose and vote for him.

LtE126 on September 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM

MarkT on September 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Yeah…I’m painfully conflicted. I was you during the 2008 election, telling wafflers on McCain to quit whining and vote GOP, that we was “conservative enough” and “there are only two choices in this election” and all that.

So you had me until that last part, when I realized you’re an idiot and didn’t actually read any of my comments that you are responding to.

Purity test? You twit … he has a 100% rating from NARAL. He voted for Cap and Trade and against the surge in Iraq, and you call that a purity test?!

For two years, he voted with Nancy Pelosi more often than he voted with John Boehner, and within 90 days of a Senate election, he’s crossing party lines for no apparent reason and calling for Nancy Pelosi to bring a new abortion bill to the people.

He’s actively running against conservatives everywhere … he hates conservatives. You can vote for him because it says “R” next to his name and call yourself a party man, but make no mistake — he’s an awful politician, a flaming liberal, and he’ll a$$f*ck you the very first chance he gets.

This isn’t like McCain or even Castle. This is freaky weird.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Don’t I know it.

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM

- Under 50% ACU for a full term under Pelosi. Pelosi! – Under Pelosi, Castle got 20% (2007) & 28% (2008)
- NRA “F” rating – Same for Castle- 100% NARAL rating Castle got 100% from NARAL in 2007
- Sponsor of idiotic hate crimes legislation – Check
- Voted against the Iraq surge – Check
- Lied a number of times on his resume about a military service award – Castle never even served- Voted for Crap and Trade – Check
- Campaigning for Reid and Pelosi to pass new embryonic stem cell law 2 months before the election (this is a special kind of stupid) – Check

Jaibones on September 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Jaibones, check the Hotair posters from Delaware (Joe Caps, etc.) Castle is just as bad, if not worse than Kirk.

Norwegian on September 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM