Michael Moore: Let’s build the Ground Zero mosque right on Ground Zero

posted at 7:12 pm on September 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Michael Moore figures out way to boost opposition to mosque from 65 percent to 95 percent.”

“I want it built on Ground Zero. Why? Because I believe in an America that protects those who are the victims of hate and prejudice,” Moore writes in an open letter on his website. “I believe in an America that says you have the right to worship whatever God you have, wherever you want to worship.

“And I believe in an America that says to the world that we are a loving and generous people and if a bunch of murderers steal your religion from you and use it as their excuse to kill 3,000 souls, then I want to help you get your religion back. And I want to put it at the spot where it was stolen from you,” he added.

The filmmaker is also urging his supporters to contribute money to help fund the controversial project and is pledging to match up to $10,000 in donations.

Former Jimmy Carter speechwriter Hendrik Hertzberg thinks it’s a swell idea too, and I’ve actually floated it before myself as the logical extension of the pro-mosque side’s arguments. They like to point out that it’s arbitrary to say that two blocks away is “too close” since, in theory, any distance can be dismissed as “too close.” (A point rarely mentioned: Mosques have been built elsewhere in the city since 9/11 with little objection.) But the counterpoint works too: If two blocks isn’t too close, why not put it on Ground Zero itself? If the answer is that that space belongs to all Americans and shouldn’t be monopolized by any private interest, no problem. There’s plenty of room there for the Freedom Tower and Cordoba House.

It’s on that question, I think, where you’d actually start to see mosque supporters split. Some, like Moore and Hertzberg, back Park 51 because they consider it a moderate rebuke to jihadis and/or a tribute to tolerance at the scene of lethal intolerance — that is to say, the project has everything to do with 9/11. Others make the “two blocks away” argument, emphasize that it’s not actually a mosque but a community center (with a mosque in it), note that there are strip clubs nearby too so the vicinity can’t be sacred ground — in other words, that the project really has nothing to do with 9/11. In fact, both arguments are made interchangeably as supporters’ rhetorical needs demand. Just this morning, Rauf himself said that Park51 isn’t on hallowed ground because, after all, it’s two blocks away from the site. But here’s what he told the NYT last year:

The location was precisely a key selling point for the group of Muslims who bought the building in July. A presence so close to the World Trade Center, “where a piece of the wreckage fell,” said Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the cleric leading the project, “sends the opposite statement to what happened on 9/11.”

“We want to push back against the extremists,” added Imam Feisal, 61.

It has nothing and everything to do with 9/11, simultaneously. My hunch is that if any mischievous pollster tries asking Moore’s question — why not a mosque right on Ground Zero itself? — the people in the “two blocks away” crowd will peel off and only the “important symbol of tolerance” crew will be left. The numbers would be interesting, as would the explanations from the former group for their change of heart. In fact, Nicholas Kristof, who’s written a bunch of columns recently for the NYT about the GZM and intolerance, was asked that question point blank by Hugh Hewitt a few weeks ago. Why not a mosque even closer to Ground Zero? Here’s his very tolerant response: “If it were actually at Ground Zero, I mean, I think that whatever is at Ground Zero really should be closely scrutinized, and you know, I’d have to think about what really should be at Ground Zero. So I would draw the distinction as what is at Ground Zero, and then what is, you know, a couple of blocks away.” Poll it, Rasmussen!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Michael who?

keepinitreal on September 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM

A last word ..
Pastor Terry Jones appearance on MSNBC …

Brzezinski: We’ve really been debating whether or not to do this. … yada yada yada … So Jon Meacham just has a quick message for you, sir. Jon?
Meacham: Pastor, I just wanted to–this is Jon Meacham. I just wanted to suggest that Jesus said … yada yada yada … in the name of New Testament theology.
Brzezinski: All right, well said, Jon Meacham, and Pastor Terry Jones, we appeal to you to listen to that. And we don’t really need to hear anything else, so thanks.

… that Pastor Terry Jones is some speaker. LOL
This is what MSNBC passes for journalism ?

J_Crater on September 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM

if a bunch of murderers steal your religion from you and use it as their excuse to kill 3,000 souls, I want to help you get your religion back/blockquote>

Problem with this logic line is it assumes that killing non cult members is a fringe belief instead of a core value.

Alden Pyle on September 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Only if we get to pour Michael Moore into the foundation ala Jimmy Hoffa. That’s a lot of cement displacement now that I think about it…

adamsmith on September 14, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I think McVeigh was a Christian.

Proud Rino on September 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Well, you think wrong on this point.

Gang-of-One on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Finally a bigger idiot then that pastor in Florida!

ericire12 on September 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM

then I want to help you get your religion back

Good luck with that. Now head off to The Middle East and make that your greatest (and last) project. Take some friends.

reaganaut on September 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Moore is a fat pile of goat dung so why does anybody even listen to him?

rplat on September 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Build the gz imam’s mosque on Michael Moore’s estate.

maverick muse on September 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I think McVeigh was a Christian.

Proud Rino on September 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM
Well, you think wrong on this point.

Gang-of-One on September 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Obowma claims he is a Christian too, yea right. Anyone that mocks the bible like Obowma does, is not a Christian and does not believe in the word of God.

dthorny on September 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Build the gz imam’s mosque on Michael Moore’s estate.

maverick muse on September 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM

They are in Dearbornistan.

dthorny on September 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I thought Muslims hated gays? Why is the fat gay guy siding with them?

afotia on September 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Hey Mikey………..are fat people guilty of some type of special sin under Sharia Law?

Do you embrace the “RELIGION OF PEACE” part of Islam or the “RELIGION OF THE SWORD” part of Islam?

PappyD61 on September 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Could this guy possibly be THE bigger idiot, that Al Bundy spoke of in the “bigger idiot” theory?

docjohn52 on September 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I think an appropriate response to any of this is, “You Muslim-Americans are free to build your mosque… anywhere but here.”

Respect is a two-way street, boundaries must be respected, and I am not interested in any fuzzy multiculti talk about “reclaiming Islam”. Muslims can do that (not that they have in general shown any particular energetic movement toward that) without stepping on the sensitivities of other Americans who oppose a mosque 560 feet from the greatest trauma ever endured on American soil, and that at the hands of Muslim terrorists.

Until I see a concerted effort from American Muslims to discourage this travesty, I will continue to view Cordoba House and Park 51 as the Thumb-in-America’s-Eye Mosque.

RebeccaH on September 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM

And put him under the corner stone.

MSGTAS on September 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Dear Michael….

Your mother should have swallowed !

Sincerely

CG Six Fifteen

cableguy615 on September 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Actually, his mother should have spit.

Siddhartha Vicious on September 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM