Video: Rocking Chair, redux

posted at 8:48 am on September 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

In 2008, the DSCC ran a successful ad on behalf of Kay Hagan in her campaign to unseat Senator Elizabeth Dole. The ad, “Rocking Chair,” featured two older gentlemen in rocking chairs on a gas station porch discussing Dole’s effectiveness in Washington. In accordance with the Democratic theme of the 2008 election, they also painted her as a rubber stamp for George W. Bush rather than an agent of change:

Fast forward two years and a healthy dose of Hopeandchange. Richard Burr is running for North Carolina’s other Senate seat and has a new ad out called “Front Porch.” Burr’s campaign has the same two men sitting in rocking chairs talking about their buyer’s remorse from supporting Democrats in the last election, complaining about spending and debt and concluding that “Washington is out of control”:

Clever! It also reflects a strong current of buyer’s remorse throughout the country, and the anger that comes from being promised one thing by a political party and getting something else entirely. It speaks to many voters who are also saying, “Some hope and change!” in 2010.

Comments

Actors are whores…

Caper29 on September 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

..wonder how many folks would like to have that “Bush rubber stamp” back now?

The War Planner on September 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Great ad!! Get ‘er Done Richard burr!!

JohnGalt23 on September 9, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Nice!

EliTheBean on September 9, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I loved Burr in “Ironsides”, but I thought he died a while back? No matter, it was a good ad.

Bishop on September 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I’m sorry, could you repeat that, I was too busy looking at the broad. =)

OldEnglish on September 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Actors are whores

Caper29 on September 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Redundant

TugboatPhil on September 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

LOL that smirk Burr has in the beginning is priceless

blatantblue on September 9, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Good ad, but can it compete with the race cards and class envy hatred that is about to be racheted up to a degree that has never before seen? Those who have entrenched themselves into our government are not finished yet. They will not go easily.

volsense on September 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM

…and the anger that comes from being promised one thing by a political party and getting something else entirely.

That’s the part that really grinds my gears. I can understand folks making mistakes and having buyer’s remorse. But an election being taken by intentional deception and misrepresentation… fraud… is absolutely unacceptable.

petefrt on September 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Someone should see whether Andy Griffin is willing to do another ad admitting that he was completely wrong about Obamacare. It could close with Andy getting in a car with several passengers to go to a Tea Party rally.

BuckeyeSam on September 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Sorry, but I doubt that the target audience for the anti-Dole rocking chair ad was the elderly who really RESENT THINGS CHANGING.

Rather, the target audience would have been the maturing boomers and the younger generations, looking for Uncle Sam to take care of the elders rather than accepting the personal responsibility themselves.

Democratic Socialists always target sucker votes.

maverick muse on September 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM

“Andy Griffin”

Buckeye, you nailed him. He only wishes he had those wings.

maverick muse on September 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Turnabout fair play for the Democrats using the same two actors as in the 1994 “Harry and Louise” commercial to later support their revised health care plans.

jon1979 on September 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Cute re-take for Burr.

/Ah, the trust of a fair haired damsel.

maverick muse on September 9, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Perfect. A retro redux AND a hot young’un thrown in for good measure. Right on many levels.

Mojave Mark on September 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Bishop on September 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I thought he shot George Hamilton in a duel?

Lanceman on September 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I would suggest that whatever Dem campaign manager failed to sign those actors to an exclusivity provision is gonna get his balls clipped.

SWLiP on September 9, 2010 at 9:39 AM

“Andy Griffin”

Buckeye, you nailed him. He only wishes he had those wings.

maverick muse on September 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Funniest Griffin/Griffith mashup evah!

Del Dolemonte on September 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM

WOW

ELMO Q on September 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I hate this kind of crap. I hated it when Hagan did it (I live in NC). It lacks substance. I get the appeal and wouldn’t mind if these things were balanced with more educational and substantive ads and speeches.

I came out of a family that had a loooong history of active Democrat support (I even had a great Aunt who was a registered Communist)… I hated Republicans… Nixon was everything wrong with America in my eyes… but what reached me when I was 14 years old was a clear-speaking man named Ronald Reagan. He MADE THE CASE for conservatism.

I just don’t hear enough of that today. Too much Hannity-like gotcha quotes, etc. Very few, if any, in the GOP talk about the results of the Bush tax cuts (among which were INCREASED revenues) or the cause of the housing bubble (misplaced social engineering ideals).

Liddy Dole tried to rectify the problems at Fan/Fred in 2005. She should be seen today as one who was leading on that issue… but campaigns have been reduced to emotions and gotchas. This electoral tsunami we anticipate will amount to NOTHING, if it is not used to explain the PRINCIPLES of conservative economic policy.

Cute ad, but we need to balance cute with more substance.

mankai on September 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Funniest Griffin/Griffith mashup evah!

Del Dolemonte on September 9, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I have the SCTV collection (the NBC 4 volumes)… Joe Flaherty said he was pegged to do Don Knotts by default, but he had never done Don Knotts so he was sort of worried… and Dave Thomas had never done Gomer, so he asked if he could do Fred Travalena doing Gomer which they all thought was funny.

mankai on September 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Bishop on September 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I thought he shot George Hamilton in a duel?

Lanceman on September 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM

You two do realize the trolls are not going to get this, right?

CurtZHP on September 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Reminds me of the movie Platoon:

Chris Taylor: Anyway you cut it, Barnes is a f@@king murderer!
King: Right on.
Rhah: Taylor, I remember when you first came in here, telling me how much you admired the b@$t@rd.
Chris Taylor: I was wrong.
Rhah: Wrong? You ain’t never been right, about nothing! …..

Why would I want to listen to two old milk-shakes that admit they were wrong the first time. The women in the video is the one I would listen to.

mechkiller_k on September 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Actors are whores…

Caper29 on September 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

The ancient Greek word for “actor” was hypokrites.

itsnotaboutme on September 9, 2010 at 10:35 AM

volsense on September 9, 2010 at 9:02 AM

“I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise. And sometimes they don’t get up.”

/Tuco

CurtZHP on September 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM

This is clever, but a faster, funnier, take-no-prisoners approach would be to show these same two guys — honored senior citizens that they are — in hospital gowns with numbered placards on their chests, awaiting the results of their death panel.

J.E. Dyer on September 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Bishop on September 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I thought he shot George Hamilton in a duel?

Lanceman on September 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM

[spits coffee out nose]
Thanks a lot, you guys! :-P
;-)

Mary in LA on September 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM

griffith is a long time leftwing wacko and from most reports not a very nice person in real life. I don’t think you are going to see any retractions.

peacenprosperity on September 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Much more effective with the hot chick…would’ve been better if she was in a bikini. Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

Wyznowski on September 9, 2010 at 12:13 PM

You two do realize the trolls are not going to get this, right?

CurtZHP on September 9, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Curt, I’m not sure that most under 30 folks will get it either. Maybe the private and home schoolers will.

TugboatPhil on September 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 9, 2010 at 9:05 AM
LOL

Or he could get in the car with “Thelma and Louise” heading for the cliff.

Go to a split screen with all the talking heads repeating Obama’s were heading in the “right direction”

It could end with the car in flight and Howling Howard Dean’s YeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaww!

DSchoen on September 9, 2010 at 1:54 PM