RGA throws in the towel on Colorado

posted at 1:36 pm on September 8, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The GOP looks to have an excellent Election Night in terms of gubernatorial races as well as in Congress.  Estimates range from six to eight pickups in states, and perhaps even better results in state legislatures.  However, it does not appear that Colorado will be one of the pickups, as the Republican Governors Association has decided to stop spending any money on a troubled bid by Dan Maes:

Speaking to reporters at a breakfast sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor Wednesday morning, Barbour acknowledged the difficulties businessman Dan Maes (R) faces in winning election, and the RGA’s unwillingness to throw good money after bad.

“We have spent money in Colorado. Past tense,” Barbour said. …

“We practice what I call ruthless targeting. When we raise money from people in good faith, our good faith pledge is we’re going to use it where” it makes sense, Barbour said. “We don’t pay for sure winners. We don’t give to sure losers. We try to put our money where it makes a difference.”

Republicans in Colorado have called for Maes to withdraw, which would have two immediate consequences.  The state GOP would almost certainly and immediately replace Maes with Jane Norton, who lost a primary fight with Ken Buck for the Republican nomination for US Senate.  The former lieutenant governor would have enough standing among Republicans that her nomination might convince Tom Tancredo to withdraw his independent bid, which would unite Republicans and make the state’s gubernatorial race more competitive.

Maes has refused so far to comply, but the RGA move appears to send an official Amityville Horror message … get out.  If Maes stays in the race, then Barbour will have made the right decision.  It makes no sense to waste GOP dollars on a situation where the money can do no good.

Comments

Triage.

OhioCoastie on September 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Its a shame we won’t get CO when we should have this year, but its better to keep an ahole like Maes from screwing up the brand… unfortunately all this came out after I donated to Maes…

phreshone on September 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Thanks to Uber Douche Tom Tancredo, the GOP will cede the governorship to a total Progressive tool in the form of Hickenlooper.

Thanks Tom… You piece of Dreck

Kuffar on September 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Funny thing is; I think Maes would still win despite it all if Tancredo was not in the race.

Ken Buck will win by double digits, the GOP will probably win at least 2 additional house seats and gain strong majorities in the State House. It will be huge Republican year in Colorado this year regardless of the Governor Race.

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Damn it all. Ah well, better not to throw good money after bad. And if we have to have a Dem in there, the hapless Hickenlooper is a weak sister so it could be worse.

Missy on September 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Kuffar on September 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Umm hasn’t CO been brought over to the Californian-dark-side years ago?

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM

What is the problem with Maes? I know he said something about bike trails being a UN plot or something, but other then that…?

And I wish Barbour was heading up the NRSC, or the RNC.

changer1701 on September 8, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Umm hasn’t CO been brought over to the Californian-dark-side years ago? upinak on September 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Not on my side of the divide!!! Denver Boulder is not the whole state, even though they think it is…

Kuffar on September 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Tancredo has become a media whore…….disappointing.

PappyD61 on September 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I didn’t even bother to vote in the CO gov primary: hack vs. hack. And Tancredo: forget it. He’s reliably to the right of Charlie Crist, but cut of the same egotistical cloth.

Hick is pretty popular here, and my hunch is that he won’t be an awful governor. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Pavel on September 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Tancredo’s bitter rewards.

Western_Civ on September 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I like that Barbour tells it like it is. Tancredo ought to grow up – he is pullling a Murkowski here.

Vashta.Nerada on September 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Kuffar on September 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Nice to see a fellow Hot Air regular from the Western Slope!

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Kuffar on September 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

But they do outnumber the Residents that are original to CO? Am I right or wrong? I think I am right.

Don’t get mad… the Californian drive by’s are moving everywhere and tunring all the states they squat in, into a California-esqe State. Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Washington. Alaska is starting to… and it bugs me.

I feel your pain.

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

It makes much better sense to spend the money on strippers and booze…

repvoter on September 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Here in SW Colorado, most of the new influx is from Texas.

Don’t really mind them, although they have no clue about living with snow and drive like idiots.

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM

“We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; unless those fields, streets, hills, etc. be in Colorado, in which case, not so much..”

Kasper Hauser on September 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Yep. I don’t mind the TXn’s so much.. except for the snow and ice driving they are not use too. But The influx of these people are bothering me…..

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM

TANCREDO is the obvious choice for Colorado Conservatives

400lb Gorilla on September 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Vashta.Nerada on September 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Tancredo DOES need to grow up, get out, and stop being the spoiler who elects Democrats. But he’s NOT pulling a Murkowski, who was a centrist Senator in a conservative state. It would be equivalent to J.D. Hayworth running 3rd party after losing the primary to McCain.

Note to Hayworth: don’t let Tommy One-Note give you any ideas! Anybody remember President Ross Perot? Oops, I meant Bill Clinton…

Steve Z on September 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Me too. Although I shouldn’t say much, as I am used to be one of them.

Californians bring with them their corrupt leftist ideas. That’s what bothers me the most. I don’t want my state to become a destroyed wasteland like California.

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Norwegian on September 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Well since everyone thinks Alaska is the “answer’ to everything, we have people from maryland, new jersey, Maine, virginia, kentuky, okay most east coast states… and there are a LOT of them up here. More so then just the military pcsing.

One just the other day asked me about the permenant fund… I asked how long they had been here, and they said 2 weeks. These people are going to have a rude awakening this winter.

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 2:09 PM

repvoter on September 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Sounds like you meant to post this on the AOS board. This would be consistent with the AOS lifestyle.

connertown on September 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM

“We have spent money in Colorado. Past tense,” Boss Hogg said.

present perfect?

sesquipedalian on September 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Exactly why should conservatives try to get Tancredo off the CO governor’s ballot?

Hasn’t he a chance to win running as an Independent?

maverick muse on September 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Listen to you guys generalizing about Californians. Some of us moved to CO to escape CA liberalism’s stranglehold on the state and it’s citizens.

Californians didn’t screw up this year’s governor’s race – Coloradans did.

CliffHanger on September 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Californians didn’t screw up this year’s governor’s race – Coloradans did.

CliffHanger on September 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM

lol, how about everyone in that State did.

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Hickenlooper Headed for Landslide Win

A new Public Opinion Strategies/FMMMA poll in Colorado [9/7/10] shows the gubernatorial race “appears to be a foregone conclusion, barring a fundamental shift in the race dynamics.”

John Hickenlooper (D) leads with 48%, followed by just 25% for Dan Maes (R) and 15% for Tom Tancredo (I).

“Whether Tancredo is siphoning off GOP support that could have been available, or whether Maes’ self-inflicted wounds have boosted Tancredo’s support is open to interpretation. However, the former Congressman’s presence on the ballot and Maes’ continued problems appear to have all but sealed Democratic retention of the Governor’s mansion.”

Thanks, Tom!

/s

mankai on September 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I am from CO and am not happy with Maes, his explanations and soem of the soudnbites, which support my impression. Those who dump on Tancredo are establishment GOP, who are trying to hijack conservative agenda and fill up the ballot with rinos.

anikol on September 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM

my point is why announce this? shouldn’t this be inside baseball stuff.

The RGA did the GOP brand no favors here imo.

unseen on September 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM

anikol

Odd whenever an endorsement gets nullified. Makes me question the endorser as well as the endorsed.

maverick muse on September 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Whether the RGA or the Republican congressional election committees, they’re all $ticking their digits into the pie.

maverick muse on September 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM

unseen on September 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM

my point is why announce this? shouldn’t this be inside baseball stuff.

The RGA did the GOP brand no favors here imo.

I think there can be only one answer, which Ed alluded to: Maes is a sure loser, and Barbour and the RGA want to hang him out to dry, make him understand the futility of staying in the race, cut him loose, and replace him with Jane Norton.

IronDioPriest on September 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Maes and Tancredo are so proud and so full of self-importance, neither seems to realize or care that they’re the primary obstacle to taking back the governorship in this state. I say this as an admirer of Tom Tancredo, whom I’ve met.

CliffHanger on September 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM

What a clusterfark this race has become….

ted c on September 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM

So how does this differ from the Democrats’ triage strategy that everyone was deriding just days ago?

bgoldman on September 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Not to be mean, but with a name like Hickenlooper the guy must’ve had a hellish childhood. He looks like a grown up dweeb.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Being a RINO again, Ed?

Man, that Mike Castle sure does have long tentacles!

It's Vintage, Duh on September 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Everything I’ve read about Dan Maes doesn’t change my mind that he’s a solid conservative with the right ideas. Yeah, he tried to return money that was lent to him when he was struggling, and he embellished his record as a law enforcement officer in Kansas, years ago. This means he’s a bad candidate and no one should vote for him? John Kerry had a magic hat and that didn’t stop him from becoming a Presidential candidate.

Republicans in Colorado and the establishment are taking Maes down the way they tried to take Sarah Palin down. They’re succeeding because we the people let these political hacks guide us around. I’m still supporting Maes, and I wouldn’t put out Tom Tancredo if I saw him on fire.

And if you vote for Hickenlooper, I hope you are haunted forever by the ghosts of the innocent men, women and children killed by illegals in his sanctuary city of Denver. (Note to visitors: Don’t be out driving past midnight. It’s worth your life to stay in. Lots of drunk drivers and none of them will be prosecuted.)

bonnie_ on September 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Ed, that is NOT correct. It is WAY past the deadline to replace candidates on Colorado ballots. That deadline came and went on 3 Sep. There are NO other options at the moment.

Again. There is ONLY ONE competent conservative in the race, Tom Tancredo. All sane conservatives should rally around Tom. Unless you’re just plan masochistic.

HDFOB on September 8, 2010 at 3:31 PM

lol, how about everyone in that State did.

upinak on September 8, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Well, not everyone

;-)

Mary in LA on September 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Looks like Barbour, head of the RGA, is also throwing in the towel on social conservative issues.

texasconserv on September 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Barbour is right.

DrStock on September 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Not that I know anything about Colorado politics, but if even his own party has decided he can’t win, shouldn’t Maes be encouraged to drop out and quit pulling votes away from Tancredo? I believe that’s how it’s supposed to work (at least when the unelectable guy is third party).

PersonFromPorlock on September 8, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I don’t know much about the Colorado race, but people are acting like the media walked in on this Maes guy having sex with a little boy. I’ve hear and there about campaign missteps, but nothing too serious that warrants the backlash he has received since winning the primary. Is it just a compounding effect of the little things that enough is enough or what?

I would direct my ire towards Tancredo because if Barbour honestly thinks Tancredo will drop out if he Maes is gone, he is sorely mistaken. Tancredo is a spoiler and living in his own world.

Daemonocracy on September 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Tancredo is a spoiler and living in his own world.

Daemonocracy on September 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Yep, he wants to do a Perot-job on the party that rejected him because he is a nutball.

slickwillie2001 on September 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Look, the biggest nut-job in this race IS Dan Maes. He is your quintessential LOSER. He was a mediocre cop in Kansas, and has fluffed up, lied about it, with his campaign resume. When he moved to Colorado to start a business, HE FAILED. He’s broke. He’s been using campaign money to pay his mortgage. He tried to pay back a $300 campaign contribution by secretly dropping an unsigned check in the contributor’s purse. A weird guy with weird behavior. He’s never known how to do ANYTHING right in his life, but wants to start with governor.

Tom Tancredo has been the only stand-up guy during all this, and SAID he would drop-out if Dan Maes would before the September 3rd ballot certification deadline.

All you Tom Tancredo-haters, have the balls to say this: “I think Dan Maes will be a good governor.” If not, shut the hell up.

HDFOB on September 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Scott McInnis and his plagiarism was a better bet than crazy Maes, but I think the bad stuff came out too late to prevent him from winning the primary because of the mail-in ballot system.

It didn’t really matter anyway. With Tancredo splitting the vote, the GOP candidate was destined to lose. If Tancredo was serious about being governor, he should have entered the primary race legitimately. His actions just guarantee a Hickenlooper win. At this point, even if Maes drops out, I’m not sure Tancredo can win, he pissed a lot of people off. Plus there are a certain number of people who strictly vote the party line and Tancredo wouldn’t have R next to his name. If Norton replaced Maes, and Tancredo dropped out, we would have a chance. But apparently, that isn’t going to happen.

I’d also like to note that Hickenlooper is a good guy and would make a far better governor than Ritter. He’s a geologist and a businessman, not a lawyer and he’s reduced the size of Denver’s budget, something most Dems don’t do, and he’s pro-business. He claims to be fiscally conservative/socially liberal, which is OK by me, if he sticks to it.

Personally, I don’t think a Dem like Hickenlooper is as bad for governor as it would be for Congressman or Senator. The later two have to tow the party line, a governor can be more independent.

It’s very frustrating that the GOP couldn’t get their act together and field one strong candidate this year.

Common Sense on September 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM