Solis: Jobs are out there ….

posted at 10:12 am on September 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I missed this over the weekend, but it’s too good to let slide.  Labor Secretary Hilda Solis wrote an essay for USA Today in which to defend the Obama administration’s efforts on job creation, a rather thankless task under the circumstances.  Solis uses most of the space to argue via anecdote — in other words, to talk without saying anything — but it’s the conclusion that has to be read to be believed:

I am not an economist. I believe that numbers only tell you part of the story. I deal with real people, and I know that the only true replacement for a job lost, is a new job that pays good wages. I’m committed to making that a reality for anyone who wants a job.

That’s why I’m so excited to announce www.myskillsmyfuture.org— a new online tool to connect workers with high quality training and local employment.

By visiting the site and adding information about your most recent work experience, you can see exactly what skills you need to qualify for a broad range of careers. You can also find local training and education providers and, yes — you can see local job postings.

In other words, what’s next … is up to you.

There are jobs out there. And, this Labor Day — and every day — I’m going to continue helping people find them and employers fill them. If you’re ready to embrace a 21st century career, I want you to know your Department of Labor is here to help you. And, if you’re an employer looking to fill positions, we’ve got a list of great candidates for you.

Got the message?  Unemployment isn’t Barack Obama’s fault, because “there are jobs out there.” It’s the fault of the unemployed, who haven’t visited Solis’ groovy new website and gotten with the program, literally and figuratively.

It’s a great message of self-sufficiency — when an economy is actually producing job growth.  The problem with Solis’ argument is that the jobs aren’t out there, not anywhere near the numbers to even keep up with population growth.  We produce more working-age jobless each month in the Recovery Summer economy that the Obama administration has created.

Now, if we had the kind of job growth that George Bush created in 2004′s recovery, then Solis would be more correct.  But had George Bush (or his Labor Secretary) said anything remotely like this in 2004 or 2005, the media would have screamed about his lack of sensitivity to the plight of the unemployed and reported that he accused the jobless of being lazy.  Hilda Solis would have been out in front with her anecdotal arguments about how lousy the economy really was, with unemployment peaking at 6.4%.

Solis is definitely not an economist, or a business leader.  Neither is anyone else in Barack Obama’s White House.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Next, government workers come to your house and wipe your ass for you.
darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM

crr6 did say she was out interviewing lately.

Bishop on September 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Yeah, there are so many jobs out there, I’ve been carefully considering my options for over two years now since having graduated from school at 40.

I’m a picky worker, what can I say?

/sarc

madmonkphotog on September 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Jobs are out there, but don’t worry if you can’t get one that you want, because you have 99 weeks to decide.

That has to be the most useless site out there. States have been given a lot of money to maintain these same programs. How are they going to be able to do a better job of helping people find local jobs.

Another idiotic waste of money in order to save a couple votes in November.

reaganaut on September 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Solis is a lifelong socialist and government hack, so it shouldn’t surprise that this incompetent comes up with a job board and touts it as though Monster and Career Builder never existed. She’s taking more money from the private sector to once again compete with the private sector. Very helpful.

But this is a taxpayer funded government job board, so of course she will tell you that by definition, this redundancy is better and filled with social justice or something along with the state stamp of approval.

RadClown on September 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Obama language programming:

10 “I am not an economist.”
20 Reality
30 Goto 10

mankai on September 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

The government site asks you to input whether or not you look good in purple and if you can chant. Curious.

Bishop on September 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM

That really bummed me out. Purple just isn’t my color. I think I could chant though … I wonder if I have a chance?

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Romer: “We gave it our best shot!”
Solis: “The jobs are out there you idiots.”
Blumenthal: “When I was in Vietnam”
Biden: “GDP will grow at 7% a quarter”
Obama: “They treat me like a dog or something”

quotable quotes, from your intellectual betters…..

ted c on September 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Bishop on September 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Can you ride a girls bike dressed like Erkel????

If so…you are in.

Baxter Greene on September 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I’ve got a purple Jeff Dunham and Peanut t-shirt. Is that close enough for government work?

kingsjester on September 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I went to the site and entered “writer.” According to my results, if I will just fill my pages with praise for Barak Obama, the NEA will give me a grant.

CJ on September 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM

CJ on September 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Nice. I entered “thug’ and got union leader.

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Romer: “We gave it our best shot!”
Solis: “The jobs are out there you idiots.”
Blumenthal: “When I was in Vietnam”
Biden: “GDP will grow at 7% a quarter”
Obama: “They treat me like a dog or something”

quotable quotes, from your intellectual betters…..

ted c on September 7, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Would like to add to that if you don’t mind.

February 25, 2010: While discussing the health-care bill, Nancy Pelosi declares,

“It’s about jobs. In its life [health-care reform] will create 4 million jobs, 400,000 jobs almost immediately.”

April 23, 2010: Joe Biden, at a Pennsylvania fundraiser:

“I’m here to tell you, some time in the next couple of months, we’re going to be creating between 250,000 jobs a month and 500,000 jobs a month.”

Biden:
“The figures we worked off of in January were the consensus figures and most of the blue chip indexes out there,” Biden said. “We misread how bad the economy was,

VP Joe Biden on ABC’s This Week,
July 5,2009

Tim Geithner:

“Right now, the best thing the government can do…is help create the conditions for the private sector to start to invest in hiring again,” he said. “Now, we’ve seen six months of positive job growth by the private sector. That’s pretty good,” Geithner said. “Pretty good this early in a recession.

Tim Geithner July 25, 2010
ABC News

Uhh…two things Timmy…

CNN:It’s official: Recession since Dec. ’07

……and…..

Reuters June 4:Job growth disappoints on weak private sector hiring

………… has been insufficient to bring the 15 million jobless Americans back into the work force, 46 percent of whom had been without a job for six months and more in May.

…….Helluva job Timmy.

…as far as the recession……super smart Obama economic genius Summers stated this:

During the “This Week” interview, Summers said that “everybody agrees that the recession is over,” but he did not say when the unemployment rate could be expected to drop further.

Larry Summers
Dec.13,2009

According to Summers…the recession was over by Dec. 2009…….But Timmy says”That’s pretty good this early in a recession.”……

Absolutely clueless……….

Yes We Can!!!!!

Baxter Greene on September 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM

56 Days till the mid term elections – Solis, it’s the unemployed’s fault.

Dr Evil on September 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Times have been hard and I’m having to fall back on the job skills I picked up as a teenager. I tried a search and, of course, the Dept. of Labor’s website turned up blank on my search. What am I supposed to do with my life now?

ebbtide on September 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

oh, this is way fun…..

typed in these prior jobs

Felon….a whole list for teaching jobs, lawyers, and substance abuse counselors

Hooker….jobs listed are loading machine operators, dredge operators, fallers, and mates-ship, boat, and barge

drug addict….judges, child and family social workers, and again, school teachers

stripper….first-line manager/supervisor of agricultural crop workers, hoist and winch operators, rotary drill operators, oil and gas

Renee on September 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Renee on September 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Seriously?

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM

There are some jobs here in my area, but they’re mostly part time. Since this is a college town, guess who gets most of them.

scalleywag on September 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I put in radical activist but it wouldn’t take it. Said the jobs are already filled.

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

RadClown on September 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Again, I ask all (see 1st page) why is this board posted to a dot-org, instead of a dot-gov? Financing? Another notch in private jobs created? An end-run around fed ban on cookies and collecting PII (Personal Information)? Things that make you go hmmm.

AH_C on September 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

calabrese on September 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Great articles.

darwin on September 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Gimme a break. Do you know how many online tools

to connect workers with high quality training and local employment..

there are already? Stop with the stupid websites and youtube videos.

vcferlita on September 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Yet another hosebag economic neanderthal.

kens on September 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I am not an economist.

…but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

If all these jobs are out there, perhaps its time to cap the unemployment teat and see what happens?

Wyznowski on September 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Typed in “Government”

Result: The site exploded. “Error – too many matches”

/jk

gregbert on September 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM

There’s your federal government. Running around every bit as hard as a hamster on a wheel. Looking oh so busy to earn all that dough our tax dollars pay them.

They have created yet another Internet job board. Hot damn.

But hey — THIS job board will work for you — unlike the other seven thousand that are already out there.

Good grief. Hilda Solis. Yet another worthless goof who has risen above her level of competence in this “administration.”

Edouard on September 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Thank goodness that the Feds are helping to match people with jobs. It’s just a shame that there are no private companies, no Monster.com, for example, that people could go to without Hilda having to spend tax money to invent for us.

MJBrutus on September 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM

calabrese on September 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

If only it was that simple…in this case (Obama admin) it isn’t that “simple”.
When you lay off or let go of 10% of your work force because of bad economic decisions, it hurts more the the “10%”, those percenters also by fast food, buy laundry soap, buy bread, ice cream, in other words, others depend on their employment.
When a plant closes because of government regulation, or a lay-off because of gov. restrictions on hiring, then others pay for those poor decisions, decisions they did not make or were a part of.
Yes, you may let go of the “least” performing, but those least performing may be good enough in a normal economy, and productive enough (except when it gets down to a performing worker and a brother)…survival of the fittest is what Germany banked on, dictators bank on, animals bank on, but our economy isn’t a water hole in the desert.
The poor economy is a direct reflection on government action to punish profitable, productive businesses who do not support their agenda…and those employees are the ones punished, I take note that union workers are less affected monetarily, you are stating that they superior?

right2bright on September 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Everyone knows this women is dumb as a rock. A token Latina to fool Hispanics into voting for Democrats. Problem is that it works.

Hummer53 on September 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM

LOL! I went to the site, entered my previous job as a newspaper reporter, enter my zip and 25 miles and guess how many jobs were out there for me? … … ZERO!

What an awesome and helpful website. I expanded the mileage to 50 miles and pulled up a could secretary positions and claims adjusters positions. Sweet!

j_galt on September 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM

My employer blocks access to http://www.myskillsmyfuture.org because of unknown content.
Somewhat ironic.

bugsy on September 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM

That’s all that’s been missing…one more job search/training website.

Skipper50 on September 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hilda “Double-Quota” Solis

So the problem is really just 10% transient unemployment. We have a job available in Colorado, but the worker that is available to fill the job lives in Minnesota.

Hilda will help these 20,000,000 jobs get filled. This is all just a location problem.

Jaibones on September 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I put in “community organizer” and got no results. I guess those “jobs” are all filled.

RadClown on September 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I went on the site and entered the last 2 jobs I had and they could not find any occupation to match. They are talking about matching skill sets to same or other occupations and they still came up with zero.

If they can’t find matches to using the phone or customer service skill sets then the site is useless!!!!!

Vince on September 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM

On some job postings on the site there’s a bright little shiny sun next to the job which means “Bright outlook. Occupations are expected to grow quickly or have many job openings in the next few years”

Among those “bright outlook” jobs are:

Licensing examiners/inspectors
Social & human services assistants
Child & family social workers…All government funded, nanny-state positions

and the only one that will probably actually grow in the next couple of years…Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Workers – this administrattion is driving us all to drink.

Trafalgar on September 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I’m confused,of course when dealing with Democraps I’m usually confused. Hasn’t it been the Demos who have been saying that there is no “funemployment”?Its only the heartless evil Republicans who believe that people will stay on unemployment for longer than necessary.Now we have a Dem saying “its up to you”whether you have a job or not.

DDT on September 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Solis: Jobs are out there … hiding under the unicorns.

mankai on September 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM

April 23, 2010: Joe Biden, at a Pennsylvania fundraiser:

Well that hardly makes up for Bush losing 500 million jobs a month.

mankai on September 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Type in ‘crap’ and you get Postal Service Clerks. This site is hilarious

Trafalgar on September 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM

“Equal Opportunity Rpresentatives & Officers” is listed as a “green” job, likely to conserve energy or reduce pollution, but “Energy Management Specialists” and “Energy Engineers” are not!

WTF?

Trafalgar on September 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Uh oh! There’s a problem. The DoL site is discriminating. Type in “Christian” and there’s a slew of job listings. Type in “Muslim” and there are none, nada, zilch. I sense someone’s going to be seething and you know what happens then.

Trafalgar on September 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Well that hardly makes up for Bush losing 500 million jobs a month.

mankai on September 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Gosh…..I heard from NPR earlier that it was actually an even Gazillion a month.

dmh0667 on September 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM

My wife works in the staffing industry and she agrees – Jobs are out there. The problem is your workforce is fat off entitlements and the Obama administration has made no effort to ween them off, quite the contrary, every 6 months they seem to extend unemployment benefits another 6 months. Now they’ve passed a healthcare bill that eliminates another reason for the unemployed to get employed.

It is really quite funny watching these “smart” liberals slowing start to put the pieces together. This Hilda is one step closer IMO.

tflst5 on September 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Here are the jobs they are creating in my area – installing solar panels, in a totally unsuitable area. A little research informs me these jobs pay (nationally) $9 to $19/hour, the high end close to metropolitan areas.. In our rural area, call it $12/hour.

These jobs require college training, will last 7 months, and to get another one, you have to either travel long distances to other solar plants being built, or move.

How much college would you take for a temporary job that won’t pay the bills? All this for a solar plant that will hurt the agriculture & tourism that is the main industry here. Crazy.

jodetoad on September 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM

AH_C on September 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM

That is an excellent point! Is this a government site or a non-profit site. They are not one and the same. I really wish someone would figure-out how that all works.

I suspect that unions are steering jobs, or ACORN.

petunia on September 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Yes, “there are jobs out there.” Fortunately, I have a job – barely pays the bills, though. I’ve been looking for another job in my area for about two years. More often than not, IF a business is hiring, there are 70 to 100 applications for every available position – even for part-time and temporary.

Ace ODale on September 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I am not an economist.

She is a hack.

maverick muse on September 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM

The Solis spin, according to the Onion:

Labor Dept: Available Labor Rate Increases To 10.2%

Tzetzes on September 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Propagandists sicken me most of all.

FireBlogger on September 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM

kingsjester on September 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM

That depends. Can you chant?

Franklyn on September 7, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Oh I have a job…but until the economy is back in full force then I’ll continue to make LESS THAN HALF MY SALARY OF TWO YEARS AGO bc companies are not hiring leadership positions in this economy. I can be thankful that I’m working and I look forward to being back in my industry w a big fat paycheck.

ocbrat on September 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Ed, keep that job website handy and kindly forward it to those in Congress who will be out of work after the ballots are counted in Nov.

ocbrat on September 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM

ebbtide on September 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Get a government grant and loans to go back to school and become a professional student until some time in the future when you can get a job that pays well enough to pay back all the loans. Becoming a doctor should do it. Don’t worry about how bad you might be, under Obamacare it will not matter as long as you are a doctor. The nurses will be doing the real work, you just have to sigh off on it.

Option two. Look up the Communist Party USA political platform and other socilist site to familiarize yourself with their terms and goals. They all are pushing the green agenda. Next write a grant asking for research funds to meet one of the goals. Don’t forget to sprinkle their talking points through out the request for the grant. Include enough to meet your finacial needs for the life of the grant. You probably should do some of the actual research, but remember, it does not have to return postive results or even vaild data. Read up on the global warming research for guides on this. You should include a reference to the number of jobs created. Its the numbers that count not who the people are. Have training session inwhich you hire them for a day to get your jobs created numbers up then fire them at the end of the day. There are lots of people under bridges to chose from. For a clarification on how this works, review the unoffical census hiring guidelines and as they said, don’t worry about auditing, it probably will never happen. You can fire all your “staff” once in a while, rename their jobs, then rehire them. That increases you job created report. At some point you will need to write a final report. Make it long with lots of idotic statements or conclusions. Again see the climate change reports. Make lots of partial statements with references to other statements or conclusions that in themselves have further references. See the Healthcare bill on how this is done. Make some reference to your conclusion, real or not supported, and add that to understand the research they must read the report to know how you came to that conclusion. That should get you at least a B+ on the research and open you up to further grants. Who needs a real job when this government will pay you to agree with them.

It could also lead to your own business. A man once told my father that if he wanted to be a weilder, get a job as one. He said he probably would last until lunch, but he would learned enough that he might last a day on the next job, and a week on the next job after that, maybe a month on the next, but he eventually will have learned enough to call himself a weilder.

Franklyn on September 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM

forgot the /S

Franklyn on September 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I heard that line ‘there are jobs available if you want them’ right here at HA. Just look under any of the unemployment extension stories you’ll find many.

rjl1999 on September 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Do I have to be “undocumented” to qualify? LOL

ddrintn on September 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM

The jobs are out there.

Mulder, Scully, Solis and the Cigarette Smoking Man Prez

Left Coast Right Mind on September 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Well, we ARE paying people to stay unemployed, aren’t we?

{^_^}

herself on September 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM

yes, jobs are out there. fast-food, mall retail; and at a fraction of the pay that we had with our outsourced-to-China factory jobs. Oh, also, very poor benefits package that no one can afford on $9. per hour anyway. Yes, there are jobs.

And we can thank both democrats and Republicans for not putting some protections around our nations economy as Ronald Reagan did. DD

Darvin Dowdy on September 8, 2010 at 7:46 AM

“robber”: Explosives Workers, Ordinance Handling Experts, and Blasters
“hooker”: Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
“bum”: Automotive Body and Related Repairers
“clown”: Actors
“huckster”: Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors

SunSword on September 8, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Labor Secretary Hilda Solis is so out of touch with reality, as are so many of the liberal left, that they fail to understand that the skill-sets needed to be a politician are nothing more than being able to be popular and make people think you are a nice person.

The one skill-set that a politician needs is to be trusted and “Survey Says” keep trying.

MSGTAS on September 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM