Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on September 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It”s time once again for the Obamateurism of the Week, in which we help Barack Obama take credit for his, er, accomplishments.  After all, we don’t want to attribute these to anything but Obama’s own foibles, although we could call them something else if he likes.  ‘Obamateurisms’ makes for a nice, umbrella term, though.  Maybe he can just plaster it on his forehead to make it easier for everyone.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

The umbrella incident is a perfect metaphor for Barry Soetoro’s presidency.

turfmann on September 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM

It’s silly, but I had to go for Barry Poppins. It so perfectly characterizes the cluelessness of his presidency.

At state dinners, betcha he eats soup with a fork.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Once again we need an ‘all of the above’ option.

meci on September 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM

At state dinners, betcha he eats soup with a fork.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

He brings a really long straw so he can drnk everyone’s milkshake from across the room. Redistribution and all.

Aviator on September 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

The last two choices demonstrate (once again!) what a weasel ObaMao is. While they are not evidence of amateurism but of a cynical political posturing, I voted for the last one.

The first three choices show (once again!) what a lightweight ObaMao is. The lad was marketed as the epitome of intellectualism, but his report card in real behaviors shows him to be graded on an inflated curve.

onlineanalyst on September 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM

The “Barry Poppins” still photo is unfair. It appears to me he’s actually being pretty smooth by switching hands as he lifts the umbrella over the top rail.

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Teehee! So glad you used this pic, Ed! Absolutely no words for this imbecile in the WH (my apologies to all imbeciles).

Toughie this week. Those two Iraq ones, *low whistle*. I went with the BC, what a ridiculous strawman akin to “we can’t load up all illegals in a truck and drive them back to Mexico!”

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I’m supposed to care?

Let me know when he starts being honest with us, so I can start caring about the ‘fairness’ of photos of him.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

No it’s not, anybody with an ounce of brains would have simply closed the umbrella for the few seconds they were under the gate.

JimK on September 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

At state dinners, betcha he eats soup with a fork.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

My thought as well. A picture is worth a thousand words and not one of the words this picture communicates is “competence”.

Nathan_OH on September 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Why is FLOTUS ducking and crouching?

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM

The top of the gate appears to be telling him “I won.”

Still, I voted for the renamed brigades as it is a perfect example of Orwellian propaganda which isn’t selling too well these days.

Nice try Ms. Poppins.

GnuBreed on September 5, 2010 at 9:40 AM

taking W’s credit for Iraq…everyone knows it was W who negotiated the SOFA agreement and his arrogance and dare I say it, hatred of him, shows…

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Spare me.

katy the mean old lady on September 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM

I had to go with “Barry Poppins” because it best exemplifies his intelligence and problem solving capabilities. Magna Cum Bubble

darwin-t on September 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM

JimK on September 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

…or just turned it sideways and stuck one edge through at a time.

James on September 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Actually it shows the mind set of an a$$ kissing wimp who doesn’t want to get his butt kicked if Michelle gets a single drop of rain on her.

oldernwiser on September 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM

JimK on September 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

The umbrella is a representation of Barry’s big umbrella Government policies.
Obama would never “fold” and acknowledge defeat, even for a few seconds.

Electrongod on September 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

You’re kidding, right? Forgot the sarc tag?

If not, this is a perfect example of what is wrong with The One and his supporters: not a scintilla of common sense.

I had to go with taking credit for Bush’s work. Blame him when it’s convenient, then slime in like the snake he is to take credit for something he did not officially do.

Plick.

tru2tx on September 5, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I picked “Lyin’ Like a Rug”….

Not only was the quote misappropriated to MLK, they knew that it was over 12 mos ago and, alas, had the rug made anyway.

Double amateur.

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Each and every one of these are vote worthy. But that is the case every week(day–minute–second). My standards have been lowered so many times. Right this red hot second I had to go with the BC plastered on his forehead. WTH? Sure you can, Barry. We all want to see it and I can’t think of a better way to let us.

BetseyRoss on September 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Why is FLOTUS ducking and crouching?

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM

maybe she loads up her uppercut better from that position….?

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Paralyzed by indecision, I can not choose. Polls of this nature ‘should’ allow a numerical value, say 1-10 for each entry. Then the results could be tabulated, and powerful statistical analysis could be applied to yield a significant, scientific result.
/heh

Skandia Recluse on September 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM

/heh

Skandia Recluse on September 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Umbrella-Gate perfect description of that incident and his entire term.

darwin-t on September 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM

The umbrella is a representation of Barry’s big umbrella Government policies.
Obama would never “fold” and acknowledge defeat, even for a few seconds.

Electrongod on September 5, 2010 at 9:51 AM

nice analogy

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Combat Arms name change.

Planning for a year to take Combat Arms Stryker Brigades and rename them to “Advise and Assist” Brigades and then go on TV and announce that all the Combat Brigades have left Iraq is repugnant to me and it is an amateur who thinks he can get away with it.

Even NPR noticed.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Poppins or rug? Poppins or rug? Poppins or rug?
I think the rug misquote is more enduring, representative of less than amateur-level research now recognized even by Øbummer’s media supporters as inaccurate and wholly unattributable. Now it’s a permanent record of more inaccurate bunk pawned off as true and raises even more questions about The Ø and his academic rigor and performance.
Barry Poppins is sure a “go to” image of Teh Won’s negatively-skewed problem-solving skills.

ExpressoBold on September 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I went with the rug, because he actually put that one in writing.

backwoods conservative on September 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

If he’s going to plaster some personal info on his forehead, how about the background of his parents, mentors, education, and other important influences in his life. And don’t white-wash it. Pink, Islamic, Black Liberation Theology, all of it.

Paul-Cincy on September 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I seriously doubt Mr. President is to blame for the rug, he can’t be bothered with details such as those. He probably has an interior decorator czar who takes care of all that. As for the comment about his birth certificate, I’ve come to expect these little smart a$$ remarks from him so it’s not surprising to hear him say something like that. As for the umbrella incident, yea, that was a “doh” moment for sure, but we all have those. Fortunately for us the AP photographer isn’t following us around to catch all of them.

Taking credit for the draw down in Iraq that President Bush’s administration put together and then renaming the troops who remain over isn’t surprising, either. This is who he is, an opportunist and a flim flam man.

scalleywag on September 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

But I voted for taking credit for the draw down. Blame Bush for everything wrong and praise yourself for the parts that go right. Despicable.

scalleywag on September 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Once again, another week of tough choices. I went with the failed redecoration of the Oval Office. By incorrectly attributing the quote to MLK, it epitomizes everything that’s wrong with O-Loser and his entire administration.

GrannyDee on September 5, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I thought re-naming the remaining Brigades was more of an insult to the troops who remain in harm’s way than an amaturism. So I went for the Oval office rug. Obama ALWAYS doubles-down on something even if he is proven wrong. It’s just another example of his towering arrogance.

Mord on September 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Umbrella gate

heh, that’s a funny moniker.

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Every time that I see that Barry Poppins photo, I recall a song that my now-deceased Dad from the Greatest Generation would mockingly sing. Little Orphan Annie would fetchingly invite through song: “Playmate, come out and play with me/Slide down my rain barrel…”

ObaMao, the grasshopper (or “playmate”) is fiddling away while the ants are plodding away because they see disaster ahead.

onlineanalyst on September 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM

*breaking*

check out Rasmussen today…..

-23

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM

OT – Anybody see Rasmussen today? -23 baby!

gophergirl on September 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM

LOL – Great minds think alike!

gophergirl on September 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

This is who he is, an opportunist and a flim flam man.

scalleywag on September 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

+1000. In a different life, he probably would have had a successful career selling snake oil tonic in the Wild West.

GrannyDee on September 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Taking credit for the best of Bush… Very sad on Barry… The loser president.

RalphyBoy on September 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM

OT: why won’t these so called sunday journalists call out these lib pundits that the dems controlled congress the last 2 years of W’s term…geez, all this ‘inherited’ crap is infuriating…dear leader was a part of that as well

sorry for the vent…

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Taking credit for something you didn’t do.
I know lots of people like this & they mke me sick.
This defines the man right there.
Anyone worth a dam$ & with a conscience would never do such a thing.
I know personally I would not be able to sleep at night if I were to take credit for something that was not mine.
It would really bother me.
Obviously this pathetic excuse for a human being that is Obama has no such compunction.

Badger40 on September 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

OT – Anybody see Rasmussen today? -23 baby!

gophergirl on September 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

The change that we were looking for. Yeah baby!

Electrongod on September 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM

LOL – Great minds think alike!

gophergirl on September 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

heh, you’re an hour behind me, but I’m only a minute ahead of you on posting that..!..

so you’re like 59 minutes ahead, right?!

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM

They’re the same people who gush over how great Clinton was, with a Republican controlled Congress.

Badger40 on September 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM

He probably has an interior decorator czar who takes care of all that.
scalleywag on September 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Her name is Snookie.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I had to go with Barry Poppins. He is a real rocket scientist alright. I guess he skipped the advanced physics class at Harvard.

Let’s have a look at those transcripts Barry so we can confirm how super smart you really are.

DeweyWins on September 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Did you see today’s lineup? Lindsey Graham and John McCain plus a lot of O-bot champions. More of a Plouffe (fluff) job of journalistic excellence.

onlineanalyst on September 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

check out Rasmussen today…..

-23

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Wooohooooooooooo! Folks are finally starting to ‘get it’.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Badger40 on September 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM

you’re right, I just wish they had just an ounce of integrity…

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:25 AM

onlineanalyst on September 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

yepper
*sigh*

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:26 AM

OT: Tim Kaine is on Fox News Sunday. What a moron? Speaking about taxes, this f*cking douche doesn’t know the difference between a tax credit, a tax deduction, and a tax-rate reduction. Why bother having such an uninformed guest on a news show?

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Definitely between the last two choices. Both were rank political posturing, of course, but both just screamed, “The masses are too stupid to pick up on this.”

And of the two of them, taking credit for what Bush did right while blaming Bush for everything else takes the cake.

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I picked that one too. Typical of the “community organizer’s” playbook: when you can’t accomplish your stated goal, change a label on something and announce your complete success!

At least Barry has accomplished one of his campaign goals: transparency. As in, we can see right through you and your pathetic Alinsky tactics, you fraud.

AZCoyote on September 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

ugh…thanks for the heads up, will put it on mute when he starts to speak…

FNS starts in 30 minutes here…

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Wooohooooooooooo! Folks are finally starting to ‘get it’.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Yep, even some of the idealistic children working in my LA office are starting to see the “BS known as BO” as they hear about friends their age coming out of college working at In and Out.

jbh45 on September 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Oh c’mon! Picture this: they’re walking along, talking about what a bunch of suckers we are when, BANG, the umbrella hits the crossbar. Mrs. Poppins ducks, probably yelling INCOMING because of her guilty conscience and Barry has to lift the umbrella over but can’t because he’s not tall enough.

It’s a Stooge’s moment I’m tellin’ ya!

Vince on September 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Barry Poppins! Obama fails to see the fence looming mere feet in front of him. Oh, and rumor has it, Obama will call for a 6 month moratorium on umbrella handles.

TN Mom on September 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Where are all the stalwart democrat commentors to defend B. Hussein Obama?

Inanemergencydial on September 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Actually, it was Obama riding the girl bike, while Putin kills whales.

faraway on September 5, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Had to go with the rug.

This was probably said before but we can now say “He lies like his rug.”

tommer74 on September 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM

This one’s going to leave a mark: Pakistan gov’t minister calls on “Mullah Barack” to declare himself the “Caliph of All Muslims” and lead the end-of-Ramadan prayers at Ground Zero.

Agam on September 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM

OT: Ed and Allah.

On Sundays, you should consider an open thread for the Sunday morning news shows. I impantiently flipped around this morning because the offerings were very dreary: FNS (McCain and Tim Kaine); This Week (late, but the panel included Will, Krugman and Friedman (WTF?), and some nitwit I didn’t know); and MTP (Lindsey Graham (ugh), that weasel David Plouffe, and its panel (yummy Erin Burnett, E.J. “small hands and lisping” Dionne, Rich Lowry, and Charlie Cook).

I was stunned to hear Burnett insist that this is the more rapidly recovering employment environment for any recession on record. That’s the first I’ve heard of it. Is she shooting for Romer’s job?

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Why is FLOTUS ducking and crouching?

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I’m guessing if she gets wet, she either melts or reproduces.

Kevin71 on September 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

2nd that…

agree about Erin, the new shill for the WH?

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

***

agree about Erin, the new shill for the WH?

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I was surprised at Burnett. I’ve seen her on Morning Joe, and I’ve always thought she was a straight shooter. Funny, Morning Joe never goes to Mark Haynes anymore. I guess he’s just too critical. Burnett, however, seems destined to become a cuter version of Romer. What a shame.

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Obush pretends he was the decider of the Iraq drawdown.

Weasel-In-Chief.

profitsbeard on September 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Taking credit for the drawdown — because an amateur like him is incapable of exhibiting sufficient tact, diplomacy and focus on the task to ever have accomplished it himself.

ya2daup on September 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM

“Obama takes credit for drawdown schedule Bush negotiated” is definitely the worst thing he did. But, really, isn’t it just opportunism, not truly an Obamateurism?

Pablo Snooze on September 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

indeed it is…

cmsinaz on September 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Pablo Snooze on September 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM

You’ve given Ed a new category!

The Obamortunism.

Where Barry Popportunist takes credit for other people’s work.

profitsbeard on September 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM

The Barry Poppins photo isn’t really an Obamateurism per se, but Barry’s braver than I thought. If Michelle had looked at me that way, I would have wet myself.

ElectricPhase on September 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM

ted c on September 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM

So many good choices, but I went with the rug, too. Maybe because of the reasons you said and it’s written for all to see the error, in the Oval Office, until the next person comes along and changes it. Which probably won’t be for a while. (Who spends that kind of money on redecorating the people’s office in a recession/depression?)

DrAllecon on September 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Presidents always take credit for others’ actions. But to make official a missattribution even after being made aware of it, shows that this is a “first result of a google search” administration and not serious thinkers. Again, why do some think Dear Liar is so damn smart?

rbj on September 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM

All of the above. What a banner week for Barry!

Kalifornia Kafir on September 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Yet more continuance of the liberal double standard is in evidence. Barry Poppins has to be the most moronic president in the history of the republic. Any history buffs care to make comparisons?

ultracon on September 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Where is the national media on changing of names of the combat troops who still have the same mission AFTER Obama’s Oval Office speech? Are none of them going to question a name change when our soldiers are still drawing combat pay and doing their same mission? Was the name change so that Obama could declare his political deadline was met?

Maybe America is finally waking up to the scam artist as his Rasmussen numbers are -23

PhiKapMom on September 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM

God, another week of great choices.

I went with the rug.

Nice research, Team O.

F’ing Amateurs.

RedNewEnglander on September 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM

The quote on the rug was quintessential Obama. He will continue to go with the attractive lie even when presented with irrefutable evidence of the truth.

tommyboy on September 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM

In the accompanying photo it sure looks like Michelle is getting ready to go up for the rebound

Yoop on September 5, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Here’s how I picture the Obama Administration.

profitsbeard on September 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Four out of these five
Could have won a “normal” week…
But this is “Normal”…

Haiku Guy on September 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Most impertinent man, ever!

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM

wink on September 5, 2010 at 9:18 AM

JimK on September 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

If Meshelle’s big caboose can fit through the gate, so can the open umbrella.

Conservalicious on September 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Once again we need an ‘all of the above’ option.

meci on September 5, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Second the motion!!!

landlines on September 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM

At state dinners, betcha he eats soup with a fork.

petefrt on September 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

naw just tips the bowl up and drinks it!

dhunter on September 5, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I read that the problem with the umbrella was that they gave him a right handed one by mistake…

2L8 on September 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I love the Barry Poppins photo. Behold the mighty intellect of our smartiest president evah!!!

bitsy on September 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I had to go with Barry Poppins just because it made me laugh, something I haven’t done much of during the past couple of years.

winfield on September 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Here’s my contribution to the Barry Poppins picture – a Demotivator inspired by Chrissy Matthews’ “pluperfect” comment:

Feel free to pass it along…..

TeresainFortWorth on September 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Zero’s birth certificate gaffe illustrates yet again how he takes offense any time anyone questions his mammoth sense of entitlement.

Mochelle probably eats her soup, er, gazpacho with a straw. Schluuurp! Schlurrp! Now why dem crackers lookin’ at me funny?

viking01 on September 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

New bumper stickers

“Clinton ruined a dress but Obama ruined a nation.”

“I never thought the biggest threat to our American way of life would be our own President.”

“Tony Blair loves America more than BHO.”

Schadenfreude on September 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM

The umbrella thing. This guy is as dumb as the day is long.

Colorado Anne on September 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Taking credit for the Iraq/US Agreement was just too much for me. So wrong on so many levels.

elclynn on September 5, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Pablo Snooze on September 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I guess you are right – but it’s sooooooo Obama, taking credit for things he didn’t do and refusing credit for the little he has done.

Face it, as usual, they are all good. It would be easier to only have to eliminate one versus picking one

katablog.com on September 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM

`
`
`
Well, they needed a Democrat for balance . . .

Adjoran on September 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM

I said it awhile ago,

that if some Iraqi throws a shoe at obama with half the accuracy as the pair flung at George….

Obamas eating them