NFL final preseason week: Open thread

posted at 12:00 pm on September 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The most wonderful season of the year has finally arrived, and no, it’s not the election season or Back To School, either.  The NFL opens its season on Thursday, when Brett Favre returns to the scene of his mugging in New Orleans to face the Super Bowl champion Saints.  After a magical season last year in which Favre took the Vikings to the brink of victory in the NFC Championship Game, the Saints blitzed and buried Favre in what most had figured would be his last game in uniform.  Favre returns to Viking purple one more time to see if his arm and his ankle has another season left, and whether he has enough magic to take Minnesota to a Super Bowl for the first time since Gerald Ford was preparing to leave the White House.

Normally, I’d make predictions for the week, but the rest of the league’s games start next weekend.  I’ll predict that Favre gets his revenge in New Orleans on Thursday in another close game, 31-28, but save the rest for next week.  Last year, I finished with a 61-35 record, which means …. exactly nothing for this season.

Instead of picks, let’s look at the top stories in the NFL for the final preseason week:

• Matt Leinart crowed that he had outplayed his competition for the Arizona Cardinals’ starting QB position, but apparently Ken Whisenhunt disagreed.  The Cardinals released their former #1 draft pick instead, leaving Leinart looking like a fool and leaving him at the mercy of his former college coach.  If Pete Carroll leaves him on the waiver wire rather than picking Leinart up for the Seattle Seahawks, it’s hard to imagine anyone else taking a risk with Leinart.  Moral of the story: don’t issue ultimatums after riding a bench for three seasons.
  • Ben Roethlisberger had his six-game suspension cut down to four games, apparently a reward for good behavior and cooperation with the NFL on its how-not-to-embarrass-the-league seminar.  The Steelers have a QB problem that Leinart could actually solve, assuming Leinart didn’t think that he would move Big Ben to the Big Bench in week 6 after Pittsburgh’s bye week.  The Steelers have an aging but usually effective Charlie Batch on hand to fill Ben’s shoes, but Dennis Dixon could provide more fireworks … for good and ill.  Batch got hardly any reps, too, with Byron Leftwich assumed to be the backup until he got injured.
  • Miami dumps the Wildcat offense, or at least the QB that ran it.  Modern NFL fans cheer; wishbone offense aficionados pout.
  • The St. Louis Rams name their sacrificial Lamb, er, starting QB: Sam Bradford.  Now St. Louis fans (all three of them) have a new name to blame for the year.
  • If the Detroit Lions make final preseason moves in a forest, would anyone notice?  Hey, they did it in Detroit and no one noticed.

The Golden Domers won their first game of the season yesterday at home, dominating the Purdue Boilermakers in everything but the scoreboard in a sloppy effort, 23-12.  The Associated Press and its layers of fact-checkers and editors made sure to report that rookie “Noter Dame” head coach Brian Kelly got the game ball as a “momento.”  They eventually fixed the “Noter” but the “momento” is still live on the site.  Maybe they’ll fix that in uno memento ….

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Butterfly,

BS. You’re a typical poor winner Steelers fan. Thanks for outing yourself, punk.

Christien on September 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Big Ben and Tiger Woods are two people you should not support.

PrezHussein on September 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Being a die hard Bear fan, I HATE the Vikings.
I think Favre is over the hill now and just wants to come back so that people can say his last pass wasn’t an int.

B Man on September 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM

My Saints should beat up on the Favre (again!). It will be a great game, though. :) :) :)

Theophile on September 6, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Cutler’s ego and arrogance won’t tolerate spending Sunday afternoons flat on his back. He’ll sour.

a capella on September 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM

He kept his mouth shut last year, but I agree he won’t put up with this too much longer.

Jaibones on September 6, 2010 at 9:10 AM

All that matters is that my Jets have signed Revis, and will be winning the super bowl this year.

ernesto on September 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Have to give Teh Favre credit where credit is due:

Can’t remember any QB as willing to take as much punishment since Steve Young, Ron Jaworski and Fran Tarkenton.

At his age, I think maybe he’s the undisputed all-time NFL king of taking a hit and getting back up.

It’s the consequent INT that ruins the heroic image

cane_loader on September 6, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Oh, I can’t forget Aikman in his first couple seasons – they beat the SNOT out of that boy while the ‘Boys were rebuilding.

cane_loader on September 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Anyone else have a nominee for QBs that took a lickin’ and kept on tickin’?

cane_loader on September 6, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Christien you have outed yourself as an asswhole.

Pot meet kettle.

———————-

ernesto on September 6, 2010 at 11:03 A

M

Coming from the beta that means little

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I bet Revis signs this week.

CWforFreedom on September 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Today. FIFM

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM

PrezHussein on September 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Why? Ben did absolutely nothing wrong, otherwise he would have been indicted and charged. Tiger, while doing nothing legally wrong, did cheat on his wife, Ben, the last I checked, was not married.

Ben got suspended simply for having BS dumped on his lap and a bunch of sports pundits crying racism.

Also, Ed, the Saints are going to beat the vikings by at least 14. Sorry dude, Favre has no one to throw too and Adrian Peterson doesn’t have as solid as an O-line to run behind this year.

Go Steelers, and my USC Gamecocks are looking like the team to beat in the SEC east this year. May God help them!

MadDogF on September 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Yeah, aholes like you hate it when people call them out, ahole. I didn’t diss the Steelers, a truly great team, just called out some (not all) of their fans for being poor winners.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM

On that note, I’d also like to commend the many Steelers fans (and other teams’ fans) who win with class.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

aholes like you
Christien on September 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Good comeback. /

You lump all Steeler fans together and you offer little to no specifics – good work

Perhaps the Steelers fans here can explain why they are such poor winners.

Christien on September 5, 2010 at 1:27 P

M

BS. You’re a typical poor winner Steelers fan.

Christien on September 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM

. It’s a generalization, to be sure

Christien on September 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

You liberal?/

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Chrietien- oh and quick now please quote me on how I am a poor winner as a Steelers fan. You are just making up shi*. You don’t change.

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Got some issues there sparky?

Your initial quote:

Perhaps the Steelers fans here can explain why they are such poor winners.

Now, to me that doesn’t seem like you are “call(ing) out some (not all) of their fans”

Yikes!

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM

LOL…I already clarified that I meant to call out poor winner fans, not all fans. You don’t change and feel free to ignore that, of course.

WHO DEY! I mean DAT!

*insert last word by CWforFreeedom*

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Maybe they should play an NFL game on the infield at a Nascar race.

CWforFreedom on September 5, 2010 at 1:33 PM

There was a discussion a few years ago about Tennessee playing Virginia Tech or Notre Dame at Bristol Speedway.

If you haven’t seen it, it’s a 1/4 mile track surrounded by 120,000 seats. And with a football field in the infield, they could put at least 10,000 or more temporary seats.

It would be insane. I hope it happens someday.

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Tom,

Yeah, that was a sweeping generalization on my part. I should have called out only the poor winners. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Should’ve previewed better. Thanks again.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Uh, no.

This is what you just said a few minutes ago

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM

That statement is a lie.

You said, specifically, that you “just called out some” fans, when you obviously called out all of them in your first post and then tried to walk that statement back. Yet you still can’t get your story straight.

Amazing what sheer hatred will do to some people.

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM

My last post was made at the same time of your last post.

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Tom,

s/b call, not called. Maybe I’d preview better if I took any of this, including you, seriously. But, I don’t, so I don’t. Hatred? LOL, I couldn’t care less, much less hate.

Then, again, maybe the “mistake” in my inital post was really intended to mess with Steeler fans in the first place. Consider that, spaaaarky.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:07 P

A liar was busted- Good work Tom.

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Maybe? Lol you don’t even know yourself Cretin?

Liars lie then they backtrack.

CWforFreedom on September 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM

LOL. Kudos, Tom! You da MAAN, man!

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

And Steelers fans are still a buncha poor winners. Oh noes, someone’s lyin’ about us!

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM

LOL. Kudos, Tom! You da MAAN, man!

My apologies Christien, I thought I was talking to an adult.

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Tom,

No worries, friend, you are. Adults can play, too. It’s all good.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Tom,

No worries, friend, you are. Adults can play, too. It’s all good.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Really?

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM

But when someone responds to your “messing” you personally attack them?

As a sports fan, I’ve busted many a chop over my friends franchise choices. Yet I never resorted to attacking them on a personal level.

I think you’re just a jackass who’s now trying to backtrack from his asshattery.

If I had to guess, you were probably hoping to engage Ed, knowing he’s a Steelers fan, but instead got another Steelers fan on the line and were a tad bit mad things didn’t go your way.

ButterflyDragon on September 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Tom,

No worries, friend, you are. Adults can play, too. It’s all good.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Really?

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 3:07 PM

But when someone responds to your “messing” you personally attack them?

I think you’re just a jerk who’s now trying to backtrack from his foolishness.

ButterflyDragon on September 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Butterfly,

Naw, Ed’s alright. Good to see you back bustin’ chops, but not resorting to attacking on the personal level.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

‘Cause, ya know, that’s your turf…..

Tomblvd on September 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Tom,

Well, if some folks want to take NFL smacktalk on the interwebs all personal…I know don’t.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Looking at the picture of Favre- the uniform designers for quarterback shirts need to go back to the drawing board. The defensive guy should not be able to pull that much shirt away from his body.

For swimmers the rule is if you can pull the straps with your thumbs up to the bottom of your ears- the suit is too big- and will cause drag when your racing.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM

LOL…good observation; it’s some amazing material. How far do you think it’ll stretch before tearing?

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM

That, I don’t know. But you have forward momentum and planting the feet and knees fighting being pulled backward. Not good for injuries.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Another good point! Though it might also buy QBs a little extra time like Eli in the Super Bowl, so maybe it’s a calculated tradeoff.

Christien on September 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM

To make that decision you would have to look at the whole game tape after a quarterback is injured ( ankles,knees,BACK) and see if they were pulled down like that prior to where/when you think the injury took place and ask if that area started bothering them then.

As a mom and out of the military for 10+ years I know I have a weak back. I had my 45-50 lb daughter on my shoulders this weekend so she could see the stage at an outside event and I was fine. When she was younger and came up behind me and pulled my shirt to get attn it would send off pain signals through my back.

Just saying it is something to look at.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM

•The St. Louis Rams name their sacrificial Lamb, er, starting QB: Sam Bradford. Now St. Louis fans (all three of them) have a new name to blame for the year.

Thats pretty harsh Ed, A plate of crow for you at seasons end.. MOJO prohibits me from saying anything else…

stlpatriot on September 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM

The NFL is boring, over-hyped and takes itself too seriously. The Bosie State/Va Tech game was more exciting than any regular season NFL game will be this year. Wait till the 18 game season starts and a team that is 10-8 or 9-9 makes the playoffs. Talk about Commitment to Excellence.

Lou Budvis on September 7, 2010 at 1:37 AM

•Ben Roethlisberger had his six-game suspension cut down to four games, apparently a reward for good behavior and cooperation with the NFL on its how-not-to-embarrass-the-league seminar.

What, he didn’t rape anyone that the press found about? Or has he started having them killed so they can’t leak any details? He’ll crack eventually. Just like our lovely politicians, being a lawless out of control dirtbag is addictive…and fun. It’s only the beginning of the season.

austinnelly on September 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM