The case for voting for the RINO in the Delaware primary; Update: O’Donnell won’t rule out third-party run

posted at 2:41 pm on September 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

In which Ace swipes the blogospheric crown of “Supreme RINO Candy-Ass” right off my head.

Seriously, it’s a great post. Read it all or you’ll miss the critique of “true conservative” Christine O’Donnell on the merits — she’s no Joe Miller, to put it mildly — but I’ve excerpted the strategic gist below. Whether you agree or disagree will depend on whether you believe (a) the “true conservative” message can and will win literally anywhere in America, regardless of the quality of the candidate who delivers it, or (b) it’s more important to defeat RINOs than to defeat Democrats, even though we’ve seen what happens legislatively when The One has a blue Congress to do his bidding. A not-so-fun fact to bear in mind as you read: Even the right’s favorite pollster shows a 20-point swing if O’Donnell upsets Mike Castle in the primary. From GOP by 12 to Dems by 10, facing a blue-state electorate that’s packed with liberals. What could go wrong?

The vote for her would not be strategic, or aimed at a plausible victory scenario. It would be pure RINO-punishing (and cutting off one’s own nose to spite one’s face). If RINO-punishing is the only thing that matters — and I stress: Castle is a RINO, and I sure the hell can’t claim he doesn’t deserve to be punished — then vote for her…

Mike Castle will vote against us on 30% of stuff. You will not like him. I will not like him.

But I will like him better than the Democrat Coons, voting against us on 88% of stuff. And yeah, in a blue state, with a strong Democratic majority, he can afford to be one of the solid liberal votes for Obama’s socialist agenda. Because he is not going to have to worry about losing his seat for voting too liberal.

The pathway to success is to change Blue to Red, and Purple to Red, and Red to Even Redder. We are doing that. We are trading in RINO Murkowski for a Senator more in sync with a true red state…

We cannot get a super-red person elected to a blue state. Period. The anti-Obama factor gives everyone about an 8% bump. Add that to Christine O’Donnell’s 35% (from last time) and she gets to 43%.

Grassroots conservatives are, I think, seeing this as some sort of reprise of the Miller/Murkowski race, where first the establishment RINO is vanquished and then the inexorable tea-party wave carries the “true conservative” nominee to glorious triumph in the general. But Alaska’s a red state, of course, and even so, Miller’s eventual victory still isn’t quite fully assured. One of the most praiseworthy things about tea partiers, actually, is how shrewd they’ve been thus far in picking their spots for when to turn out en masse for or against a candidate. They went bonkers for Scott Brown in the special election even though most of them knew he’d govern as a centrist; they bumped off Bob Bennett in Utah, realizing that the seat was entirely safe no matter whom they nominated; they went after a tea-party impostor in Nevada back when centrist-y Sue Lowden looked like she’d be the nominee in order to prevent a third-party candidate from helping Reid to victory; and of course, their hero, Sarah Palin, backed Carly Fiorina over “true conservative” Chuck DeVore in California because she knew who’d have the better chance of winning the seat in a Democratic state. For TPers to back O’Donnell over Castle when the latter’s victory means an easy pick-up would, actually, be surprisingly out of character. In fact, a more useful analog to the Delaware race isn’t Miller/Murkowski but McCain/Hayworth, where another RINO faced a weak “true conservative” candidate whose primary victory would have put the seat in play instead of keeping it safe for Republicans. The difference between Hayworth and O’Donnell, though? J.D. would have at least had a chance of winning thanks to the conservative electorate in Arizona. O’Donnell doesn’t have that advantage in Delaware. In fact, as Ace explains, she doesn’t have any advantage at all. What exactly would be accomplished by nominating her?

Update: New from John McCormack at the Standard, O’Donnell says she won’t rule out a third-party run if she loses the primary and describes how her team checks the bushes around her home to make sure that her political enemies — presumably Castle’s people, although she doesn’t specify — aren’t hiding there:

They’re following me. They follow me home at night. I make sure that I come back to the townhouse and then we have our team come out and check all the bushes and check all the cars to make sure that—they follow me.

That’s what’s disgusting, as you can see from the YouTube videos. They knock on the door at all hours of the night. They’re hiding in the bushes when I’m at candidate forums. In 2008 they broke into my home. They vandalized my home. They wrote nasty notes on my front door, on my front porch. They jeopardized my safety. They did the same thing to our campaign office. They broke into our campaign office. They vandalized our campaign office. They stole files. My campaign signs that had my picture—they put a spear in my mouth poked out my eyes, and cut out the part of my heart, and wrote nasty names all over those campaign signs.

I would be a fool to be pressured into disclosing where I live, when I know that the stakes are even higher this time. What makes me think they wont do the same distasteful things they did in 2008 when the stakes are even higher, when we’re even more viable. I mean come on, John, you’re a class act. You don’t want to—you know that this is a security issue. You know what they’re capable of.

She also tells McCormack that she’s using campaign funds to pay rent on her residence.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So some people can post a few names who are endorsing O’Donnell, but, via Bing, there are a lot more names who don’t want to have anything to do with O’Donnell.

Someone posted at Ace’s that Erick Erickson is back-tracking now. I don’t know if the poster was joking or heard wrong, but I guess we will hear about it soon enough if its true.

Brass on September 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Mike Castle is afraid to debate Christine O’Donnell !!

Mark7788 on September 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM

True, Castle has a definite character flaw. There is no reason to close ranks around this creep. Meek, wimpy, weaselly RINOs is how the GOP lost its majority. It’s time to clean them out of the Republican Party.

scrubjay on September 3, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Here to me what is wrong with Republican politics, Delaware being a prime example:

1)A willingness to vote for a candidate who is NOT WILLING to debate his opponent. Do you think it is any more likely this officeholder if elected would be any more responsive to a constituent?

2)Conservatives willing to vote against principle during the primaries. Primaries are held for a reason within the party. It is one thing to vote for a RINO during the general election but it is entirely another to not back a true conservative thinking the RINO is more palatable to the electorate. Who gave any voter the ability to play God to how the electorate votes in the general election?

3)The GOP establishment candidates imho have been horrible for the revival of the GOP. I have nothing against Castle personally but his positions on not repealing Obamacare and pro cap and trade are horrible. Why vote for someone whose views are antithetical to the GOP platform that the GOP is running on in the fall?

technopeasant on September 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM

technopeasant on September 3, 2010 at 7:51 AM

And they are using the same stinking sledge hammer they used the last time(s) around: vote for a guy who is guaranteed not to vote your way, and keep the party RINO pure

Castle is not running in my state, but if he were he would not get my vote. I don’t need to sustain RINOs anymore. Obama has lag time even with the coming election. It will be Obama who undoes Obama, not the RINOs. It will be anti-Obama voters who change things, if the RINOs refuse to share power with the anti RINOs

It has been too many years.

Years

That I have been told to suck it up and vote against conscience to empower a ruling class that ignores me

In the case of Castle, He vote Y on Brady BIll, Y to expand Hate Crimes, N to defund enforcement on Trigger Lock laws, N to repeal DC gun controls, N to Same-Sex Marriage definition of man+woman to protect state and fed govs from being forced to recognition other formats. He wants embryonic stem cell research, is member of Republicans for Choice etc

This crowd had their chance to prove they could share power, and they opened the borders like a spigot, and called the minutement vigilantes. Now they let obama take the credit for fighting AZ, while they clean up on disenfranchising American citizens from jobs and voting power

These RINOs are breathlessly desperate to kill the Mouse who challenges them. I am now hearing the line, she is no Joe Miller, as if they didn’t try to kill MIller, too, about five seconds ago.

If the RINO-NC continues to play King to my Peasant, instead of simply letting their RINO candidate win on merit – it don’t matter no mo. The peasants will keep slinging shots against them, until the castle walls fall

entagor on September 3, 2010 at 2:45 PM

My fear is not that O’Donnell defeats Castle and loses in the general.

My fear is that she wins.

The GOP is getting a shot this election at least in part because the public has tired of the Charlie Rangels and Chris Dodds and the rest of the ethically-challenged truth stretchers in the Dem ranks.

We don’t need any of our own.

We don’t need to give the press GOP meat to feed on when they’re just starting to nibble at the rotten carcasses on the Dem side of the aisle.

JEM on September 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Castle is just another Lincoln Chaffee. A disgusting RINO.

I’d rather have the Democrat win this seat than Castle.

Norwegian on September 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM

(b) it’s more important to defeat RINOs than to defeat Democrats

Yes. Democrats will not destroy the nation unless they have some Republicans to sign on so they can call their legislation “bipartisan”. The only reason they aren’t doing amnesty right now is because there aren’t any Republicans willing to go along with it. They admit this publicly. It also demoralizes conservatives, or at least demoralizes them away from the Republican Party. The only reason we are allowing the Republicans to exist for a while longer is to give them one more chance. That is the bargain the Tea Party has made with Republicans before going complete third party.

Buddahpundit on September 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM

The case for voting for the RINO…yada yada yada

Cold feet vs Steely Eyed resolve!

BS’rs need not apply! RINOs and their enablers need to know that Conservatives/Tea Partiers have them in their electoral sights every step, or misstep, of their RINO political lives! This may serve to keep some of them in line! And chase the others, like Arlen Specter, into the political party where they honestly belong!

Make no mistake the GOP moderate wing is responsible for the herd of RINOs that have abdicated their political responsibility, and therefore their political power, to the Democrat Socialists!

The country is now on the cusp of economic and cultural collapse, thanks to the PC ‘go along to get along’ GOP…

Castle, Collins, Snowe, and there like, are Republican symbols of surrender to our Leftist political enemies. Either we swat these flip-flop flies down, or the fight for our children’s future will undoutedly become progressively prone to violence down the road!

As for this fear-mongering POLLster bogeymen: I’d suggest the weak-kneed wusses recognize that a majority of voters everyware are waiting for conservative relief from the BIG goverment that is killing the country!

Lastly, with respect to Sarah Palin, she’s punching above her weight now, although I’d wager she won’t get away with another McCain type edorsement without some Skunk STINK accruing to her perkiness permanently!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on September 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Tell me ONE THING that a Repubican majority in the Senate can do for this nation.

HondaV65 on September 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM
It can put Chairmen on the necessary committees in the Senate to investigate potential criminal acts by this Administration, and issue subpoenas towards that end.

If you don’t know that, then you have no business discussing politics with anyone over the age of ten.

JohnGalt23 on September 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

This is EXTREMELY important! Castle may be a RINO who will vote with the Democrats 30% of the time, but he counts as a Republican when determining who gets majorities on committees.

If Democrats keep the Senate majority, there will be at least one more Democrat than Republican on each committee, and Democrats will be chairmen.

If the Senate is split 50-50, then there are bipartisan co-chairmen (one from each party) and equal numbers of R and D on committees.

If Republicans take the Senate majority, there will be at least one more Republican than Democrat on each committee, and Republicans will be chairmen.

If there are 49 or 50 Republican Senators without Castle, voting for Castle makes the difference between two of the above scenarios.

If Castle is elected, Republican Senators with lots of seniority (from conservative states that consistently elect Republicans) will make committee assignments based on seniority, and freshman Senators usually get put where no one else wants to go. They might make an exception for a solid conservative freshman like John Hoeven, who will probably win a landslide, or Dan Coats, with previous Senate experience, but GOP leaders would know that Castle would be a weak link, and would probably put him on committees where his vote wouldn’t matter much. But if his presence in the Senate turns Republican “ranking members” into chairmen, his positive influence in the Senate goes well beyond the votes Castle himself will cast.

Steve Z on September 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM

No can vote for babykilling gungrabbah. Nevah.

Akzed on September 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Which is why it’s time for the Red States to seriously start considering recession. The Blue States will NEVER elect congressmen and senators who are serious about returning to Constitutional government, restoring fiscal sanity to government, and restoring the 10th Amendment to its rightful place in governance of this nation. If they want their liberal, irresponsible, corrupt spendaholics governments, they’re welcome to them. The rest of us would be better forming a new union, with them disinvited from sending representatives to make laws under which the rest of us must live.

Yeah, I’m serious.

quikstrike98 on September 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Great, I can’t edit what I posted earlier to correct a typo, and I can’t post a correction either.

quikstrike98 on September 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM

it’s more important to defeat RINOs than to defeat Democrats,

a RINO is a Democrat WOLF in Republican SHEEP clothing

NO MORE RINOS…….if a Dem wins (and the Delaware is dumb enough to do it) then go for it DELAWARE.

And when are you guys going to understand CHRIS CHRISTIE is a fiscal Conservative but a RINO on social issues.

Principles over political ruling class.

PappyD61 on September 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

McConnell will NEVER NEVER give up his position of Power, just like Boehner in the House.

The election of Mike Castle makes a Senate Majority Leader Jim DeMint more possible.

WashJeff on September 2, 2010 at 2:51 PM

and I’m sorry but Jim Demint reminds me of Mike Pence, he’s a squishy scared of the media Republican. He is a speak softly don’t scare anyone (ssssshhhhh, we’re all just modddderates here, ssssshhhhhh).

You want Cajones in the leadership in the Senate? Jim Inhofe
You want Cajones in the leadership in the House? Joe Wilson

PappyD61 on September 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Buddahpundit on September 3, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I agree.

They’d never pass a major piece of legislation without Republican support.

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:13 AM

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I mean, they would never have the nerve to inflate the deficit without some Republican cover.

And at least we know they could never get their financial

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Hit submit too early.

Who needs a majority anyway? I mean, since when does anything pass or fail on a narrow, party-line vote? Let’s face it, it just doesn’t happen.

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Sometimes RINOs will defect on things like financial regulation, and vote for new giant bureaucracies. Therefore, the best solution is to purge them and replace them with democrats. That’s a much better plan than getting a republican majority that can kill these bills in committee before they ever reach the Senate floor.

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Sorry to add one more to the long stream of comments, but I forgot one thing.

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing.

(Sorry everyone for the millions of comments. WordPress wouldn’t let me post more than three links in each. Guess the thread is mostly done anyway….)

RINO in Name Only on September 4, 2010 at 1:57 AM

PappyD61 on September 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM

That load benefited Obama’s election crowned with the congressional Democrat Majority.

I don’t buy the vote Dem.v.Rino argument, and voted against Obama in the ’08 campaign.

maverick muse on September 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I’ve been ignoring the O’Donnell stories, simply noting how many have been devoted to her @ Ace, et al.

Came across NRO’s story this morning, and decided to take an interest in Delaware’s election after all.

Who’s Backstabbing Who