Video: Boxer discusses conversation with Condoleezza Rice that, er, never happened

posted at 7:07 pm on September 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Have you ever known people who pass the time of day by arguing with themselves? Barbara Boxer almost gets to that level in this video clip from the San Francisco Chronicle and Debra Saunders, who can’t quite believe that Boxer’s delusion is so detailed. Boxer talks at length about how then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice failed to provide an answer to her during a Senate hearing on how many troops had been killed in action in Iraq. Boxer took a lot of heat from her remarking on Rice’s childless status as a way to criticize the Bush administration for going to war in Iraq, a cheap shot that Boxer attempts to rehabilitate in this interview by claiming that she shared that status with Rice, even though she had children and grandchildren, and that it was Rice’s failure to answer her question that she criticized:

“I asked her how many people had died and she did not know the answer to that question. And since we had lost a lot of Californians, I was concerned. And I said, you and I don’t have, we haven’t paid a person price, I said, you and I, I said, myself, my grandkids are too young, my husband too old, and as far as I know you don’t have anybody in the war. So I tried to use it to bring us together, but the right-wing press said that I questioned, that I turned on her because she wasn’t married which was a little silly.”

Except Boxer never asked Rice that question. In fact, Boxer asked a ridiculous hypothetical after choosing to use most of her time in a tiresome monologue. And Saunders provides the video proof, too:

In fact, what Boxer asked Rice was how many casualties Rice expected in the future from surge operations. She found it “really appalling” that the Bush administration didn’t have a forecast of deaths in hand when it planned the surge. Exactly what did Boxer expect to hear, that Rice had consulted a couple of fortune tellers? Flipped through a few tarot cards? Consulted a Magic 8-Ball?

Either Boxer is deliberately lying about this in order to avoid criticism of her behavior, or she really believes in the fantasy argument she had with Rice in her own mind. I’m not sure which would be worse, but neither recommends Boxer for any further service in the US Senate.

Addendum: The C-SPAN clip is worth watching all the way through to remember just how wrong Boxer was on the surge, too. At the very least, Rice and Bush forecast that success with a lot more accuracy than Boxer did its failure.

Comments

This woman is (for now) a United States Senator.

MikeknaJ on September 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Gee I wonder if Babs The Bigot was as condescending and patronizing as she was to Harry Alfred!

cableguy615 on September 1, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I’m ashamed to say she is one of the two boobs that “represent?” me here in Ca. I would give almost anything to see her go down. She can take Feinstein with her…

sandee on September 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Legend in her own mind.

OldEnglish on September 1, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Ma’am…!

Seven Percent Solution on September 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Delusional.

ButterflyDragon on September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Boxer has the same facial expression that Murkowski had.

Skandia Recluse on September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

ma’am blowhard

cmsinaz on September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Just a misunderstanding, Maam?

d1carter on September 1, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Honestly, this is the sort of tedious, irrelevant nonsense that I can’t stand about blogs. Who cares if she is misremembering some stupid thing…

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Have you ever known people who pass the time of day by arguing with themselves?

Sure but you banned him recently.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Please, Californians send Mrs. Boxer into retirement.

Mason on September 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Bonkers Barbara and Clueless Condi. What a pair.

Tav on September 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM

My God!!! If this is the mind of a Senator, what must be the minds that elect her?

Throw her out, before she hurts herself further!

capejasmine on September 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Add fuzzy slippers and a chenille house robe and you’d have my crazy landlady.

ronsfi on September 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Come to think of it, Obama looked a lot like that last night. Stone faced panic.

Skandia Recluse on September 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Mm. While I’m sure that Senator Ma’am cares not a whit about our troops or their casualties except as a political chip, I admit that the question about casualty projections is, on its own, sound. I think that the post’s hyperbole regarding fortune-telling does it no credit.

There are any number of methods for making such a projection. Naturally, if Rice had produced such a projection, Senator Ma’am would have twisted it to suit whatever she wanted it to suit. However, that doesn’t mean that the question was invalid.

Scott H on September 1, 2010 at 7:24 PM

“When I spoke with Santa about his refusal to power his toy shop with solar energy, I reminded him about the Easter Bunny’s commitment to a carbon neutral holiday, and that it would be in his best interest to utilize the carbon neutral initiatives I‘ve spearheaded. Turkey cat, pickle juice.”

- Future crazy bag lady in California, Sen. Boxer.

Weight of Glory on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Praying she goes DOWN in November. CA will be better represented by just about anyone else.

Bob's Kid on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Somebody please tell her that purple is not her color.

DrStock on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Legend in her own mind behind .

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Boxer is as phony as her blond dye job.

bayview on September 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Lying is a proud Obama administration tradition…

IntheNet on September 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Sure but you banned him recently.

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

KAPOW! =)

OldEnglish on September 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Well, if Rice had been a real professional… I’m sure our current Secretary of State consults sources of information like this.

malclave on September 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Oh please, please.
When can we call her former Senator….?

NeoKong on September 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Boxer is unacceptably condescending. She has had too much power for too long. She needs to go.

I could not listen to her all the way to the end of either vid. I can not stand this American Aristocracy! Term limits please!

California–please–Boxer needs to go!

I think she will. There can’t be too many who are excited to vote for her, but there are probably very many who would vote against her no matter what!

November will be won on turn out.

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM

But does she write on her hand?

portlandon on September 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

She made up a public, recorded conversation about the war in Iraq she claims she had with Secretary Rice for political purposes.

She’s lying. She didn’t forget what outfit she was wearing, she completely made-up the exchange.

Good Lord.

amerpundit on September 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Is this a sign of the stress the communist democrats are under?

darwin on September 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Is there a hand large enough for the face palm CA deserves for electing senator helmet over and over and over again?

Monica on September 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Somebody please tell her that purple is not her color.
DrStock on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Its the SEIU color..every dem has to wear that color in some way shape or form to receive SEIU money and
rent-a-thugs

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Let’s help this excuse for a senator retire:
Donate to Carly!

Christian Conservative on September 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Debate between Babs and
Fiorina at 7pm pacific on cspan.org I hope Carly is ready to duel the Tool

Bobnormal on September 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Weight of Glory on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

ROFLMAO!!! Funniest thing I’ve read today!!!

capejasmine on September 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Time for competency testing for Congress people over the age of 70. This is a strong case for Term Limits.

Little Nell on September 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Come November, let’s hope Ma’am pays a personal price in the form of losing her job for her treachery against our troops and their mission.

Go, Fiorina!

Christien on September 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Boxer is deliberately lying

She knows what occurred. She’s trying to save her ass now.

GarandFan on September 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Nothing says liar like a Senator in trouble…

d1carter on September 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Barbara Boxer—a dangerous combination of arrogance, condescension and ignorance. That’s my senator!

dirtseller on September 1, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Carly Fiorina will be debating Barbara Boxer tonight (Sept. 1) at 7:00 pm pacific time.

Here is the link to find out where you can watch the debate:

And this is the link to find out more about Carly Fiorina’s Campaign against Barbara Boxer:

VOTE BOXER OUT OF OFFICE!

wren on September 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

By the way, Boxer debates Fiorina tonight. This outta be interesting.

ieplaya on September 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Boxer is an amazing liar. I’ve listened to her lies for many years. I pray she is soundly defeated November 2nd.

griv on September 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM

By the way, Boxer debates Fiorina tonight. This outta be interesting.
ieplaya on September 1, 2010 at 7:44

CSPAN is carrying it on tv- not sure if any other channels will. Should be entertaining or infuriating- probably both.

Monica on September 1, 2010 at 7:48 PM

“When it came down to losing or lying, I chose lying.”

Olde Senate Traditione or McCain, I forget which.

GnuBreed on September 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

So how many more days until you’re freed from the Hot Air Comment Jail? I’m so sorry you’re forced to be here.

Patrick S on September 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I miss Condoleezza Rice. What an accomplished and classy lady.

Johnson on September 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM

This is Nanzi Pelosi’s brain on botox. This is Barbara Blockhead’s brain on peroxide and acid flashbacks. Any questions ?

viking01 on September 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM

And now Feinstein is co-chairing the campaign against Prop 19

Combine this with today’s rejection on a ban of plastic shopping bags and I think we’ve finally gotten CA liberals are so corn-fused they don’t know whether to scratch their watches or wind their butts.

The Ugly American on September 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM

What can you expect from a state that has given the country Maamzie and Pelozi? A Republican Senator? Now who’s fantasizing?

chickasaw42 on September 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

You must be new here!

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I know my values are different from most Californians but, damn! How in the hell can they not be embarrassed by this BS?

ladyingray on September 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM

She is so dumb and out of touch – she is proactively bringing up the issue – along with the actual video from CSPAN.

Even Kerry knew to forget about Christmas in Cambodia in ’68…

Odie1941 on September 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

When were you forced here?
Why are you too stupid to leave?

Odie1941 on September 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I hope Fiorina rips Babs’s pathetic career into teeny, tiny shreds in the debate and on Election Day.

Go, Carly!

Christien on September 1, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM

You don’t recognize your conscience?

Cindy Munford on September 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM

How in the hell can they not be embarrassed by this BS?
ladyingray on September 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Oh we are embarrassed but we can never outnumber the busloads of ” immigrationly challanged” voters that show up on election day, after they have voted early as well as absentees too .

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Saying Babs Boxer is crazy as a shithouse rat…is to demean shithouse rats!

There are few, if ANY, more despicable human beings on this planet. DAmn…I just demeaned “human beings”.

Boxer can’t be voted out of office soon enough.

Justrand on September 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Lying is irrelevant? That’s good to know you leftist bastard.

MadDogF on September 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Patrick S on September 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

It’s Bush’s fault. If he hadn’t screwed up the economy so badly, Dave wouldn’t be forced to work for whatever ACORN-wannabe is paying him to comment at blogs.

malclave on September 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Did Boxer make a point of it to address Rice as Madame Secretary?

Pretty sure she earned it…

SuperCool on September 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Congress’ Clueless Communist (Cynthia McKinney) who couldn’t remember what she had for breakfast learned her lessons from Barbara Boxer.

Watch the Congress’ collective IQ rise at least 20 points when the Demodonks get their Pink Slips in November. Carly is easily Boxer’s better.

SeniorD on September 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Justrand on September 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Not to mention her being an insult to useful sh!thouses everywhere.

viking01 on September 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

viking01, good point!

Babs Boxer is Osama Bin Laden in a skirt. I just wish she was holed up in a cave with him.

Justrand on September 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Boxer probably expected the White House to run computer models on the theater of war to predict how many men would be killed. You know, like the ones that tell us what the climate’s going to be in 100 years? A simulation of Iraqi political forces (including insurgents and interference by other countries), the tactics, logistics, and strategy of all parties involved, weapon effectiveness and kill ratios — all that ought to be child’s play for one of those big super computers. Right?

And maybe throw in a few fortune tellers just to verify the results.

Socratease on September 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I’ve never voted for Boxer or Feinstein but have always been outnumbered by Liberals in this state…I hope that this November there are more like me and less like them…pray for CA…if we sink, we take you with us :(

CCRWM on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Boxer has to participate in an actual debate? THIS I have to see, so thanks for the links above!

In all the years she was (to my dismay) one of my CA senators, I have never seen her debate. She was always far enough ahead pollwise she avoided such a demeaning fate.

I’ve read she stinks at debates. I certainly hope that’s why she avoids them like the plague. Go, Carly.

marybel on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

It’s seared, seared I tell you, into my mind this conversation!

Mr. Bingley on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Really. How in the hell can people in California vote these doofuses into office election after election?

ddrintn on September 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

What do you expect from Kalifornia

Bevan on September 1, 2010 at 9:10 PM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Making crap up out of whole cloth isn’t “misremembering”.

ddrintn on September 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

NRA e-mail on CA legislature
AB1810 Long Gun Registration died on the INACTIVE file on the Senate floor.
AB 1934 open carry FAILED on the Assembly floor with no final vote because the Republican leadership ran out the clock to midnight and the constitutional deadline
AB 2358 (AB962 expansion) FAILED the final vote on the Senate Floor today 20Yes. – 17 No. [ammunition registration extension]
SB250 dog bill failed the final Assembly floor vote 27 yes 39 no

All this in addition to a fail on plastic bag harassment.

The auguries for Nov. are improving. And Fiorina is up.

If anybody sees journeyintothewhirlwind, there is an Air Marshall Arthur Harris quote for him. Even if he knows it, here’s to ya’.

Caststeel on September 1, 2010 at 9:44 PM

There’s no doubt that Boxer is a pig and her treatment of Secretary Rice was disrespectful. That being said, she’s not really that far off in her remembrance of something that happened three and a half years ago. Boxer derangement syndrome.

azkenreid on September 1, 2010 at 10:10 PM

With Cali voters it is the thought that counts. Boxer may well lose in this election but it won’t be because of her nasty faulty memory. In fact that is what gets her elected.

patrick neid on September 1, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Madam Boxer’s hair can be fixed; it’s her lying, mean-spirited personality that may be permanant. Save yourselves, California. NOvember!

TN Mom on September 1, 2010 at 11:45 PM

One can only hope that Ms. Boxer‘s remaining time in the Senate is brief.

/sorry

john1schn on September 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM

The dope must be really good out there in CA.

Metro on September 2, 2010 at 12:38 AM

“Can you please call me an f’ing liar? I’ve worked so hard to get that title…yes, thank you.”

Dopenstrange on September 2, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Lying is irrelevant? That’s good to know you leftist bastard.

MadDogF on September 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

malclave on September 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Yeah, I think this is a silly, pointless criticism (dog bites man and all that) to fill the blog on a slow news day, so clearly I’m a leftist. You’re very smart.

DaveS on September 2, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Yes, Ma’am Boxer. We can all see just how pleasant and conciliatory you were with Sec. Rice as you aimed to unite for cause – “to bring us together, to bring us together”. The sneering and misplaced lecturing/grandstanding couldn’t have been much worse as you, Ma’am, submitted UK news reports “for the record” over the actual data and policy, aka facts, that the Blair government might normally use for State to State coordination.

Good grief. Boxer is about as arrogant and dishonest as Press Secretary Gibbs… but not quite as pleasant.

AnonymousDrivel on September 2, 2010 at 3:44 AM

Ya, about that “military times poll”

This was not a “scientific poll” as polling military personnel about “political policy” is strictly forbidden.

The poll from “military times” is limited to the people who subscribe to “military times”, not the military in general.

There was only 1 (one) questioner per magazine.
That questioner could be filled out and sent in by anyone who received that copy of “military times” with that one (1) questioner.

This poll was akin to polls where people are asked by some show to call in and register your vote!

Note: unless your watching that show you would not know the polling was going on.

You would think Babs, with allllllllll her yearssssssssss of being a member of Congress that she would know that.

DSchoen on September 2, 2010 at 4:16 AM

DaveS on September 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

If she wasn’t running for reelection this would be “tedious, irrelevant nonsense” but she is running for reelection therefore Everything she has done since her last election 2004 is up for review.

including her “misremembering” and Honesty are in question and up for review.

DSchoen on September 2, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Term Limits!

Wow, that lady is a few fries short of a happy-meal. In a Republic, she wouldn’t be able to do too much harm in her current condition. Unfortunately, we have devolved into a Democracy thanks to “progressives” (read: socialists).

Theophile on September 2, 2010 at 4:55 AM

Rice should have gotten up and walked out as soon as Boxer made the “immediate family” quip.

Why these people allow themselves to be treated like that by members of Congress is a total mystery to me.

Jaynie59 on September 2, 2010 at 9:37 AM

What’s any different about that than Hillary or Biden always dodging bullets wherever they go. Or Sir Edmund Hillary. Or…

This is exactly what it takes to represent the 21st century leftist Democrat. If it didn’t take trash to represent today’s Democrat, then the trash wouldn’t keep getting elected.

MNHawk on September 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Have not seen Sen. Boxer in a while. However, her body/facial actions are beginning to show signs of botox withdrawal.

MSGTAS on September 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM

She must really wow her.

Scott P on September 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM

one of the pearls of wisdom from Seinfeld, paraphrased: “It wasn’t a lie…..if SHE believed it!”

olesparkie on September 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Like Hillary having conversations or channeling the voices of dead former first ladies? That’s progressivism for ya!

kens on September 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM