Rumor of the day: Palin to announce she’s running for president in Alaska … on September 11? Update: “Ridiculous”

posted at 1:02 pm on September 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

The answer’s almost certainly no, as she surely knows how it would play for any candidate to coopt 9/11 for something as self-aggrandizing as a campaign launch. (Even Giuliani waited until February 2007 to declare.) As much grief as Beck got for holding his rally on the anniversary of MLK’s speech, she’d get a thousand times more, which is the wrong foot to start on for a candidate who needs to rehabilitate her polling among centrists. Besides, as I’ve said before, she’s the one person in the field who can afford to jump into the race late. This would make her the first one into the pool, even before sure-to-declares like Romney. So yeah, this is almost definitely just fun, idle, too-good-to-check speculation.

I say “almost,” though, because something involving Palin is happening in Alaska on September 11 and it’s significant enough to have Glenn Beck in attendance. From today’s new Vanity Fair hit piece (which is already being challenged for accuracy by even left-leaning journos like Ben Smith and John Dickerson), a tantalizing detail:

Moore, a green-eyed blonde who, like Palin, was once an Alaska beauty queen, albeit a few stripes more self-aware, drives her Subaru through downtown Anchorage, steering with one hand, holding a cigarette and her smartphone in the other. When Devon calls to tell her that Glenn Beck has booked the Dena’ina Center, the largest venue in Anchorage, for a speech on September 11, 2010, she sits bolt upright and yells. Immediately, they start trying to figure out what the news might mean. “Listen, listen, listen: Why in the world do you imagine Glenn Beck would come to Anchorage on 9/11? You think he might have a special guest? With a special announcement? Oh,” she says, her whole face falling as the implications of a Palin campaign kickoff hit her, “Jesus Christ.”

Just another embellishment in Vanity Fair’s piece, perhaps? Not quite. Via the Right Scoop, below you’ll find Beck himself on this morning’s show confirming his trip to Alaska and the fact that he and Palin will both be at the event (“a week from Saturday,” a.k.a. September 11). Note how theatrically coy he is about what’s going on: All he says is that they’ll both be speaking, and when asked if it’s political, he (twice) refuses to answer. Presumably they’re going to announce some sort of joint lecture tour or whatever and this is just Beck’s way of teasing the audience by vaguely hinting that it’s something more, but the location, the size of the venue, and the secrecy around it are curious. (For what it’s worth, Beck claimed as recently as three days ago that he won’t run for anything and has no idea what Palin’s doing.) Remember too that it was only yesterday we learned she’ll be in Iowa later this month for her first big speaking engagement — and according to the Des Moines Register, it was her team who approached the Iowa GOP about making that happen, not vice versa. Quote:

Palin began taking a more active approach toward Iowa in late July, when her political action committee told Iowa Republican Party staff that Palin’s people were planning a more aggressive fall campaign schedule and had asked whether the Reagan invitation was still open.

Iowa is actually the biggest reason why she might want to declare early rather than late. As Mark Halperin notes, “caucus goers expect (read: ‘demand’) to see potential candidates early and often,” which helps explain why she hasn’t polled well in the state thus far. But of course, she could let them see her early and often without announcing any sort of candidacy; just book a bunch of speeches and put in some face time.

Exit question one: What’s this really about? Some sort of “honoring the victims of 9/11″ memorial event, maybe? If so, why hold it in Anchorage instead of New York or D.C.? Exit question two: What happens to the rest of the field if she jumps in now? Do Romney, Huckabee, Gingrich, etc, then have to declare soon too or should they wait a few months for the Palin buzz to dissipate a bit before making a move this winter? Romney can get away with losing Iowa since he’s the presumptive heavy favorite in New Hampshire, but the rest of the field can’t afford to let anyone build up too much steam there. Hmmm.

Update: Rebecca Mansour of SarahPAC e-mails to say that the rumor that she’ll announce on 9/11 is “ridiculous” and to point out that Palin had a longstanding open invite from the Iowa GOP to come speak. She finally took them up on it this week.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I’m in a neighbouring state so my local talk shows tackle the fight between her and Ovide Lamontagne. Plus I also hear the political commercials (I do look into those) and i have liked Wendy Long for a , well, long time. She’s great on Laura’s show.

Gob on September 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM

She would have voted to confirm Sotomayor..Do you need more?..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Sorry but I do not see Laura as a Romney backer..She likes Sarah very much..but Laura just disagrees with Sarah on this endorsement..:)

PS..I am in the same camp with Laura here..

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

No, Laura is a RomneyBot, big time. She doesn’t “hate” Sarah, but if you look, anytime she has the opportunity to support or hinder, she hinders.

Anytime she hosts O’Reilly, and something about Sarah is covered, she goes out of her way to book the most PDS inflicted moron she can dig up. They sits there and yucks it up with them.

Of course, that’s her style. It’s why I don’t care for her, Palin or no Palin.

Thankfully, she is not in our radio market. She was here for a very short time but crashed and burned, and we are an east market for conservative talk. (Central Texas)

gary4205 on September 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

She would have voted to confirm Sotomayor..Do you need more?..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I don’t think her endorsement of Sonia was all that strong.
And she was speaking as the AG of NH, so she had to give some deference as a fellow state law enforcement official to a potential SC Justice.
Ever heard of Professional Courtesy?
Especially if this lady had already appeared in the SCOTUS to defend NH law, she couldn’t know whether or not she’d appear in front of Sonia as a attorney in the future.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

gary4205 on September 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

If you think Laura is a Palin hater then I worry about you..What has happened to trust BUT verify..Laura was conservative before Palin was on the radar screen..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

If Laura’s backing Flip Flopney, she’s no conservative.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Whatever..Palin has backed a RINO..That is her choice..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

If Laura’s backing Flip Flopney, she’s no conservative.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Is she backing Romney..Show me the proof..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Whatever..Palin has backed a RINO..That is her choice..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

There’s no evidence that Ayotte is a RINO.
Haven’t you been paying attention?

Is she backing Romney..Show me the proof..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

No can do.
I don’t listen to Laura and frankly don’t care who she endorses.
I’m sure you’re capable of Googling it.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Well if saying she would have voted for Sotomayor is not enough then I guess we will have to agree to disagree..:)

PS..Ayotte is not the conservative in this race..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

what’s with the “..:)?”
The Sotomayor thing isn’t as “damning” as you think.

PS..Ayotte is not the conservative in this race..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

She is now.
You couldn’t possibly be suggesting her DemocRat opponent would be more conservative because that’s impossible.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Well voting to confirm Sotomayor SHOULD be damning if you are a conservative..:)

Ovide Lamontagne is the conservative in the Republican primary to be held September 14th..

PS.. The :) means that I am just debating NOT being over the top ..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM

PS..Ayotte is not the conservative in this race..:)

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Agreed. Looks to me that she chose the establishment pick where it suited her needs; Iowa and New Hampshire.

CTSherman on September 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I think she’s giving Iowa its due, but she’s not one to kowtow, either.

And yes, this rumor is ridiculous.

AnninCA on September 1, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Palin will not announce until the others do. End of story.

That’s the part that is stupid. Mitt Romney needs to either *hit or get off the pot, frankly.

AnninCA on September 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM

CTSherman on September 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM

That’s true. Laura has backed Ovide for some time (she was truly early with that endorsement)…I remember the name and as I said, I am in Mass so I hear all the NH commercials.

I like Sarah, I like Laura. If I could vote in NH I’d vote for Ovide.

I know the LSM likes to pick on SP and of course it’s not fair (and rarely warranted)…the Left are doing to her what they did to GWB. I like to hear what the Conservatives say (pro or con) as it makes it easier to flesh out truth from lies.

Oh, and Dire Straits, I knew what your emoticon meant and I appreciate your kind demeanor.

Gob on September 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM

CTSherman on September 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Ayotte is neither the “establishment candidate” nor is she the least conservative pick in the race now.
Where do you get this stuff?

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Dire Straits on September 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Dude, the proof is in the pudding. Pay attention next time she hosts O’Reilly and Sarah is in the news. She will go out of her way to book the most vile PDS sufferers available. Seen it too many times. None of them will debate policy either. It will be personal and nasty.

The only time I have seen Laura be particularly nice to Sarah was when she was looking to raise money for the troops, and Sarah gave her that iconic red jacket that she wore on her book cover and on the tonight show. It think it raised $40 or $50K (might be off)

As far as being conservative, Sarah has been one all of her life. I think she’s older than Laura, BTW. And just because YOU never heard of Sarah before 2008, doesn’t mean others of us hadn’t. The woman has been around for nearly two decades in politics. Always a solid conservative.

And listen to the Laura when Willard’s name comes up. She gets all giddy. She definitely has a school girl crush on that loser.

The facts are the facts. Sorry.

gary4205 on September 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Beck and Romney are both Mormons. Mormons stick together and help each other, even if it isn’t the best way to go.

Kafir on September 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

That’s not true.

Mormons don’t back Harry Reid. In fact, he was supposed to give talk at an LDS Church in Nevada, but canceled after getting many angry calls from other Mormons.

Conservative Samizdat on September 2, 2010 at 1:58 AM

Told ya so. Beck was having some fun with the media, letting them jump to conclusions that don’t actually exist.

Whaddaya know, it worked. Suckas.

Brian1972 on September 2, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Whaddaya know, it worked. Suckas.

Brian1972 on September 2, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Oh yeah. Played em!

gary4205 on September 2, 2010 at 6:34 AM

The facts are the facts. Sorry.

gary4205 on September 2, 2010 at 1:52 AM

They are both conservatives. Laura Ingraham is/was on the national conservative scene for a long time. Laura is just as big a conservative as Palin. I don’t think she is beating up on Palin on the Factor..(BOR is another story..He beats up on everybody)..Just remember Palin collects a check from Fox News also..:)

PS..I do not know why we are bantering this about..Both Ladies are fine conservatives dedicated to the cause..Laura just happens to disagree with the Palin pick in NH..Sorry but I stand with Laura on this but that does not mean that we do not respect Palin..:)

Dire Straits on September 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM

If Laura’s backing Flip Flopney, she’s no conservative.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Flip Flopney. ROFLMAO.

bitsy on September 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I will officially surrender my Palinista secret decoder ring if Palin declares on 9/11. That’s why it’s a moronic rumor. She knows her audience too well.

This will be a tribute to the lives lost on 9/11 and the troops that have died since then. There will be American flags, wreath laying, choirs, bible reading, and apple pie. Palin will give some kind of foreign policy speech about islamofacism and commitment to victory and America YAY! The purpose will be to contrast their reverence for the date to Obama’s relative non-acknowledgement.

If you still need proof she’s running, here you go, but she ain’t announcing it yet.

bitsy on September 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I want to know, too. Googling “a few stripes” and “a few stripes more self-aware” yields 1) nothing of significance and 2) nothing other than links related to his piece, respectively.

I’m pretty sure he just made the phrase up and the editor(s) somehow let it go.

rogerb on September 1, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I don’t have a problem with the stripes, I just wonder what he means by her being more “self-aware” than Palin is. How do you measure that??

MassVictim on September 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM

CUDA

Metro on September 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Where do you get this stuff?

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I listen to Rush and Howie Carr online, via WNTK out of New London, NH. Whether you like it or not Ayotte IS the establishment candidate. Judd Gregg is doing radio ads for her as I type this. I never said she is the least conservative, just not the most conservative. If Palin runs, and I hope she does, she will need some help in these states. It’s a smart move.

CTSherman on September 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM