New MSNBC theory: Most of the people at Beck’s rally were probably just normal flowthrough traffic on the Mall

posted at 4:37 pm on September 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via the Right Scoop, some deep thinkin’ from new primetime star Lawrence O’Donnell provides five minutes of comic riffery for Beck and crew. I’m not sure how to square this with what Ed Schultz said yesterday, actually. Big Ed’s point was that yeah, of course Beck attracted a huge crowd; who wouldn’t when you’ve got six months and a network megaphone to promote the event? (You’ll find Beck’s response to him here.) O’D, meanwhile, apparently thinks there … wasn’t any crowd there at all, just people strolling through on their way to the Air and Space Museum, I guess. The common meme-thread: It’s super duper easy to create turnout like that, to the point where merely showing up and yelling at bypassers is enough to generate media perceptions of a huge rally. What I honestly don’t get is why they’re this insecure about Beck’s ability to draw an audience. He’s been drawing huge audiences since joining Fox; until now, the normal lefty response has been to shrug and say, “There are a lot of wingnut idiots out there.” Why the frantic spin now, boys?

Oh, by the way? Edstock is happening — sort of. Exit quotation: “We are fueled by hope and not hate.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But the good news is you don’t have to walk back, because your car will be long gone anyway.

NoDonkey on September 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Heh, I used to live there. Tell me about it.

petefrt on September 1, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Cody1991 on September 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Yup, there are a few things about his style of presentation that I’d do differently, but when it comes to substance, I am one huge Beckhead. He has such influence already that he’s well on his way from being a footnote to being a chapter in history.

petefrt on September 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Okay, let’s say they do pull off a really big peaceful non-political gathering on Labor Day and they bring their families and behave well and clean things up and have nice things happen and they pray for us in a nice way… I say that’s really nice!

I think hard work is a good solid American value. I’m pretty sure Beck supports work, and people who work.

I hope it really is non-political. I have my doubts about all that but, it could happen. And if it did it would be a victory for Beck’s way of doing things. Win-win.

I hope they succeed. That’d be really cool to see a shot of Beck in the crowd… smiling… cheering them… adding his strength… encouraging people to attend… talking about it ahead of time… ruining their attempt to show him up by smothering them with love and support for their worthy cause.

Yeah bring it on. We can be kinder than they can… call it a sucker-punch of kindness. If you must.

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Flow through traffic,and inexplicably white!!(sarc)

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM

that’s coz most of the DC black population and black visitors were at Al Sharpton’s rally :-)

jimver on September 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM

The MSM commentary hints that it will more likely be a “G** D*** America!” rally with a “Beck Must Die” cheering screeching section.

landlines on September 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM

landlines on September 1, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Either way Beck wins! Can’t they see that?

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Either way Beck wins! Can’t they see that?

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I just gotta say… I did not give Beck enough credit for brains. By taking the high road he is really allowing these people to destroy themselves!

I think he should keep that vest handy.

petunia on September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

yeah, I bought a bus ticket; packed my backpack with water, snacks, a blanket to sit on; got up at 2:45 am; spent 4 hours on a bus, just cause I wanted to walk through the National Mall on a random day. yeah, that’s the explanation.

Willie on September 1, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Yeah right. We drove 60 miles, filled the Metro lines, waited over 1.5 hours to board the train, walked 1/2 mile to the rally just to go to the Smithsonian?
What a dufus!

Christian Conservative on September 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Oh, by the way? Edstock is happening — sort of.

Hmmm…30,000 tops.

ddrintn on September 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM

The people that had the “Beck” T-shirts, The Tea Party T- shirts, the tenth amendment, 9/12,and “Faith, Hope and Charity” Regalia, and all of the Gadsden flags Must have been a dead giveaway that all of the people there were just random tourists.
Let’s not forget that most of the people there were old white people. That’s not true of course, because the people standing behind in front and beside me were black Hispanic, Indian, and just about every other race, but let’s take their theory and put it to the test, and say that “All” the people there where white… Honoring Martin Luther King Jr. and giving Alveda King a standing ovation… What does that say about the people there?

webdemon on September 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Why the frantic spin now, boys?

…because the MSM kinda, sorta covered Beck’s rally. According to the dems, only idiots watch Fox so they don’t believe his audience means much.

Vince on September 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM

When I re4ad “Edstock,” I was sooooo hoping it was Ed Morrisey.

Come to think of it, we should put something together out here in rural Minnesota — ten miles from the state with the first caucuses….

Motto:

Ed[Morrisey]stock: Yeah, well, maybe I can’t draw as many as Beck, but I can get Ed Schultz sized numbers with no TV exposure whatsoever and in the middle of nowhere.

notropis on September 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM

So the MLK rally was also just people passing through and meaningless? And the anti Vietnam war rallies were just people passing through and meaningless? Well that gives us lots of new spin when democraps hold a rally and attract a few thousand people. Any rally they hold will be henceforth meaningless. Way to go democraps.

eaglewingz08 on September 2, 2010 at 8:18 AM

If the elections go as I expect. Nov. 2nd I will be glued to the tube watching the meltdown on MSNBC starting about 8 PM EST.

jpmn on September 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Another MSNBC Theory: “Our Nielson Ratings are so low because millions of viewers channel-surf away from us during commercials at the exact time when the ratings are monitored.”

olesparkie on September 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM