Coulter: Obama’s not a Muslim, he’s an atheist

posted at 7:59 pm on September 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

If so, he’d better keep it covered up. As I reminded you recently, there’s only one thing worse poll-wise for a politician to be than Muslim.

Alternate headline: “Good news: Obama finally right about something.”

But according to North Korean TV’s Chris Matthews, it is a provable, scientific fact that Obama is a Christian because he says so. “Everybody watching right now,” Matthews said to his several viewers last week, “gets credit for being of the religion you say you are. … We accept that in America. It’s called freedom of religion and respect for religion.”

That would make professions of religious belief, unlike all other self-professions, unchallengeable. Liberals say conservatives don’t believe in civil rights. I say liberals are godless traitors. Why is one statement debatable and the other not?

Doesn’t anyone question the Christianity of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker? How about the Satanists claiming to be Christians who stand outside soldiers’ funerals with signs that say “God Hates Fags”?…

Tip O’Neill used to question President Reagan’s Christianity all the time, taunting the president for not attending church regularly. Matthews might remember that: He was working for O’Neill at the time…

All liberals are atheists. Only the ones who have to stand for election even bother pretending to believe in God.

Lots of fun at the link, including a killer final line, some obligatory Clinton-bashing, and the outrageously outrageous claim that anyone who endured 20 years of Rev. Wright’s sermons simply must be among the godless. Which is cute, but (a) take it from me, a real atheist wouldn’t have lasted five minutes and (b) it’s been an open question for awhile now just how often The One endured those sermons. Remember this piece from Newsweek in the heat of Campaign ’08?

As young marrieds, Barack and Michelle (who also didn’t go to church regularly as a child) went to church fairly often—two or three times a month. But after their first child, Malia, was born, they found making the effort more difficult. “I don’t know if you’ve had the experience of taking young, squirming children to church, but it’s not easy,” he says. “Trinity was always packed, and so you had to get there early. And if you went to the morning service, you were looking at—it just was difficult. So that would cut back on our involvement.”

After he began his run for the U.S. Senate, he says, the family sometimes didn’t go to Trinity for months at a time. The girls have not attended Sunday school.

And of course the trend continued as president. None of which I offer in order to question Obama’s religion, mind you, but merely to note — as I’ve noted before — that devotion varies from individual to individual among Christians as it does among believers of all faiths. In fact, read this piece by Charles Lane at WaPo making the same point I made a few days ago about The One’s surprising “bitter/clinger” explanation for Glenn Beck’s rally. Maybe he didn’t know that the rally was religiously themed, but if he did know, it’s odd that a fellow believer would explain a spiritual event in terms of economic anxiety. Clearly, as Lane says, there’s a heaping helping of “historical materialism” in the mix of Obama’s philosophy along with Christianity. Note to The One: Join us.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Safe link to avoid Townhall popups:

Sydney Carton on September 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Interesting. Because in this interview with Cathleen Falsani from 2004, he says this:

GG:Do you still attend Trinity?
OBAMA:Yep. Every week. 11 oclock service.
Ever been there? Good service.
I actually wrote a book called Dreams from My Father, it’s kind of a meditation on race. There’s a whole chapter on the church in that, and my first visits to Trinity.

Pandering to the religious crowd, of course. But note the date. At the time of this interview (3/27/2004), Malia was almost 6 and Sasha was almost 3.

So something doesn’t add up.

I’d bet money he didn’t go that often after his kids were born, but lied and said he attended regularly whenever he thought it would benefit him to do so.

Of course that doesn’t mean he didn’t know everything there is to know about Reverend Wright and his sermons from his earlier Trinity attendance and ongoing alliance with Wright.

Missy on September 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

I knew for a fact he was an atheist when he made the bitter clinger remark. That is not how Christians view each other. Only someone who hates religion would think this way.

thekingtut on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

thekingtut on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Totally agree.

Missy on September 1, 2010 at 8:58 PM

He wears mom jeans, throws like a girl, bikes like a star wars loving code writer, never served his country, is afraid of big boom sticks and gets treated like a bitch by his big, stern, manly wife. Regardless of his religion he’s just a wuss.

Alden Pyle on September 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

The nonsense about President Obama being a Muslim has got to stop. I rise to defend him from this absurd accusation by pointing out that he is obviously an atheist.

She cuts to the quick, tongue in cheek all the while. Coulter rocks!

petefrt on September 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yeah, because having a religious faith is all about conveeeenience.
Midas on September 1, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Well, he does receive spiritual skittles every day via his Crackberry.

ya2daup on September 1, 2010 at 9:01 PM

My favorite essay of the year.

And yes, AP is right about the last line — instant classic.

Coulter’s brilliant.

Purple Fury on September 1, 2010 at 9:02 PM

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Well said, of course, the same can be said of Obama’s Communist roots.

Stanley Ann’s parents were both very active communists, as was Obama Sr. I understand that Soetoro was also a communist.

Communism and Islam run together. Remember Hitler was able to hook up with the Muzzies in WWII.

It could go either way.

But like other commenters, I think Barry’s religion is Barry.

gary4205 on September 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Chicago churches don’t have a nursery or children’s programs?

Quisp on September 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I don’t see how any experienced conservative cannot come to the same conclusion. Do you guys not know liberals by now? Do you not understand that these “children with pubic hair” don’t have the dedication to subscribe much less commit to any recognized religion? And I say that as an “atheist” myself.

This guy can barely show up for work before 10 A.M., do you honestly believe any leftard is going to be able to handle showing up for anything on a Sunday morning? In fact I would say that the only leftist Christian is either your typical social/cafeteria Christian with all the strength of a wet paper bag behind their religious convictions, or part of some warped bastardized faux-Christian cult.

Come on people, it is not hard. Those of you screaming about him being a closet muslim are simply being lazy. You are desperate for some silver bullet to quickly take Obama down and believe this will do it. Sorry, but it is not going to be that cut and dry, and it usually never is in politics. Going to have to be a slow burn which does seem to be occurring.

ClassicCon on September 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Haha! As the old joke goes, my father said: “Actually, son, masturbation will make you go blind because if I ever catch you doing it, I’ll rip your effing eyes out!

carbon_footprint on September 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

carbon_footprint:Haha:)

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

blockquote>

thekingtut on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I think that there is a real possibility that he is atheist. I remember the interview with Rick Warren. His answers were non-answers. I don’t think he can verbalize a true Christian faith because he doesn’t really know what it means.

And no true Christian is so adamently pro-abortion. They just aren’t. Christians value life.

Voter from WA State on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Thumbs up to both of you!
They were both telling incidents.

Jenfidel on September 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

But like other commenters, I think Barry’s religion is Barry.

gary4205 on September 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Just one little problem though.
Christian communists always denounce their religion.
Christian communists always renounce their religion.
Christian communists always diss Christianity.
But a muslim communist will never ever do that to his religion . Never.

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

He’s a narcissist, a joke, and a fraud

Bevan on September 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Personally, I think comparison of liberals to atheists is an insult to atheists.

Dusty on September 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Spooky.

Dude.

BobMbx on September 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

BobMBx: Yup!:)

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I’ll say this,so far,Obama’s pattern,and track record,
is dropping charges against Jihady’s,and Black Panthers,
refuses to utelize the words in connection to Muslims!!

I dunno,Hopey has bowed bent over backwards not to offend
Islam!!!!!!

It,speaks for itself!!

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I dunno,Hopey has bowed bent over backwards not to offend
Islam!!!!!!

It,speaks for itself!!

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Filling up the DOJ (=Dar oul jihad) with
alqaeda 9……screams sumthin too

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Matthew 16:24

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. [emphasis added]

Someone show me even one example of Barack Obama denying himself, or taking up a cross, or following Jesus, and I’ll consider the possibility that he’s a Christian.

I think the most accurate label that can be applied with any confidence is “secular humanist”. Maybe he’s a deist; maybe he’s agnostic; maybe he’s an atheist. Maybe I’m crazy wrong and he’s a Christian — but I doubt it.

RegularJoe on September 1, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I’m a Hindu, but of course, you probably already suspected that. Aum.

Dandapani on September 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM

But is he a confirmed atheist?

Inanemergencydial on September 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM

He appears to worship at the altar of Barack.

obladioblada on September 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

thekingtut on September 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I saw someone else make that remark (to which I agreed) when Allahpundit posted another “he is a Christian” type post. You just wouldn’t explain anything in terms of it’s a bad side effect of believing in God on the right. It just doesn’t make sense to cling to religion yourself and then mock it in others unless you don’t really care about religion either.

Conan on September 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I’d say for Ann to call him an atheist is to give him more credit than he is probably due.

Atheist? No, like Coulter, I rise to defend Obama. I don’t think he’s an atheist.

An atheist has faith that there is no god. Obama doesn’t really care enough to think much about whether there’s a god or not, much less take time to develop faith that there’s not one.

What he cares about is how best to put religion in the service of his personal agenda. Hence the church of Jeremiah Wright.

A word better than ‘atheist’ for Obama is ‘opportunist’. He really doesn’t seem to bother himself much about religion or theology . What he seems to care about is how he can use it to advance his future.

He doesn’t appear to take religion that seriously. He seems to view religion as a tool, a tool to be used in service of his personal/political advantage.

petefrt on September 1, 2010 at 9:29 PM

I remember when he was running, he was asked if he was a Christian and his response was that he was “Socially a Christian”. I’d love to find that clip. Anybody remember that?

CynicalOptimist on September 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Nah, Barry worships at the altar of Barry. His church is a room full of mirrors.

GarandFan on September 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM

In the druidical religion of liberalism, not separating your recyclables is a sin, but abortion is just a medical procedure.

She nails it again.

TheBigOldDog on September 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Mirror, mirror on the wall, thou shalt have no other Gods before Me.

Connie on September 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Smart and funny, as always. Wrong this time, though. Best evidence? My church, which is so full of liberals that I can hardly stand to be there.

Jaibones on September 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Carrot and lime jello?

ronsfi on September 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Kept starving students from rickets. Church suppers were the way to go. It was a very small donation back then. Show up and look hungry. Church ladies would load us down with take home.

katy the mean old lady on September 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I have no idea what goes through Obama’s head. I’m not him so I don’t know what he exactly believes. But from his actions he doesn’t strike as very religious. Who knows?

terryannonline on September 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

But like other commenters, I think Barry’s religion is Barry.

gary4205 on September 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Pretty much nails it.

BigAlSouth on September 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I noticed that Beck has dropped the BLACK part, after learning that Liberation Theology in fact started in South America as a Marxist attack to subvert the Catholic Church. The BLACK angle came along later, merely giving it a distinction without a difference. Glenn keeps at it ’till he knows it’s right, he seems to know when he’s not quite there, and keeps digging away.
Glenn is evolving right before our eyes as he learns every new piece to the picture. He was proud to say he was mistaken about Obama being a racist, and who could blame him for thinking that! Who hasn’t gotten confused between a Godless Communist and a racist? They are hard to tell apart.

Pole-Cat on September 1, 2010 at 9:44 PM

If y’all don’t think liberals can be Christian, you have obviously never set foot in an Episcopal Church.

rockmom on September 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM
======================================
Filling up the DOJ (=Dar oul jihad) with
alqaeda 9……screams sumthin too

macncheez on September 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM

macncheez: Speaking of screaming,stimulus cash to the
Muslim BrotherHood,and fighting a War on Terror,
by Obama,is Twilight Zone Gone Surreal!!:)

canopfor on September 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Obama’s not a Muslim, he’s an atheist

I believe he has traits and characteristics of both and clearly so. And no, that is not impossible. Not at all. Most all people have at least some cognitive dissonance. It appears to be part of the human condition. I see it at horair. If there is a thread on Islam, 95% are against it. If there is a thread on Islamic Nation Building in Iraq or Afghanistan, 70% are for it, and that used to be more like 90%.

Tav on September 1, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Sounds good to me. I am the Pope and Chris Matthews is the Devil’s ass. That is what I believe.

Tav on September 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Bottom line: I couldn’t care less what religion he holds to, if any. I want him politically defeated.

ddrintn on September 1, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I actually agree with Coulter on this issue…and have since he entered the public stage. Except…I’m not sure he is a true and true atheist. I think he may believe in a “higher power”, but he is definitely not of Christian faith. His contempt for Christians he expressed when he thought no one was listening demonstrated that.

Obama likes to think of himself as one of the “intellectuals” whom most believe that a belief in God is intellectually lazy, as they call it. No, a true intellect is one who believes in only the things they can prove, and you can’t scientifically prove God’s existence. Anyone who believes in God does so because they don’t have the cognitive ability to think beyond simplistic concepts.

Religion is a means to an end for Obama, as it is with most politicians.

ramrants on September 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist who doesn’t really believe in God, hates “typical” Christians and is a Muslim sympathizer.

That’ll do it for me.

Fallon on September 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I will take it even further, I think he is a gay atheist. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

carbon_footprint on September 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM
If the whispers coming from the homosexual community in Chicago can be believed, Obama isn’t “Gay” in the sense that he reciprocates. He’s rumored to have a penchant for being orally serviced by older White men.

So he’s on the Down Low and One-Way no reach around a$$hole.

PakviRoti on September 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM

We’ll never know (I hope).

PappyD61 on September 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM

How about a Muslim atheist?

chai on September 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Religion is a means to an end for Obama…

ramrants on September 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Yup.

Fallon on September 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Yup, probably that too.

petefrt on September 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Well, Allahpundit, I gotta say, you’ve changed my opinions on atheists single-handedly.

So being an atheist isn’t even that bad in my book.

Rightwingguy on September 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Alternate headline: “Second look at Obama?”

nukemhill on September 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Atheists don’t refer to the Koran as The Most Holy Koran.

Basilsbest on September 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Fortunately, the condition of Obama’s soul is God’s problem. It’s Obama’s radical-Alinskyite community-organizer socialist-collectivism that’s mine. Throw the bum out.

J.E. Dyer on September 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM

The first indication that Obama is not a Christian was when he went to a Black Liberation Theology church. If your “church” is more about race than about God, then it’s a fraud as a church. When your “church” would rather fellowship with the Nation of Islam than with a church across town, then it’s not really a church at all.

didymus on September 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist.

Key West Reader on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

That’ll do it for me.

Fallon on September 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Exactly right. Furthermore His Ex-Muslim preacher with a degree in Muslim theology seemed to have very Muslim believes with a thin skin of Christianity on top to disguise it. From what I have read he still was a Muslim practicing deceit among infidels just as the Koran teaches. Obama the same. Falsely claims christianity most of the time to decieve us.

Muslims are Atheist anyway.

Hmmm does that mean he is more hated than either as he is both?

Liberation Theology was created by James Cone who did so to trick the Christians in South America into accepting godless Communism. It worked all over there. Make people believe in a God that is an idea not real. If Jesus was not _____ (whatever minority you are) we should kill him. Sorry but this is Satanism or Atheism take your choice.

Steveangell on September 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it’ll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.”

To become a muslem, you simply say “there is no god apart from God, and Muhammad is the Messenger of God”. That’s it, and there is no going back.

The islamic call to prayer goes: “Allah is the most great, I testify that there is no deity except for Allah , I testify that Muhammad is a Messenger of Allah , Make haste towards the prayer, Make haste towards success, Allah is the greatest, There is no deity except for Allah .”

Obama is poking fun at us and our ignorance of islam. He knows full well that reciting the call to prayer (in perfect Arabic, no less) would make him a muslem on the spot if he wasn’t already one.

He is a muslem, not just according to islamic law, but in his heart.

Rebar on September 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Atheism is far too assertive and convicted a belief system for a man who seeks to vote “Present” on most significant decisions. Assuming he doesn’t actually believe in the existence of a deity, he’s at best a lazy agnostic.

Most likely, tho, is that Obama is simply a disingenuous narcissist — painting his own ego-centrism with a thin coat of Machiavellian religiosity whenever his audience requires it.

Thus: Obama’s Christian-ish when questioned by Rick Warren, he’s Muslim-ish when giving a speech in Cairo, and sneers at the God-bothering rubes of Appalachia when talking with San Fran elitists.

If he thinks about God at all it’s in a vague, self-affirming way that boils down to: “I try to be a good person, I’ve still got some work to do, but I think it’ll all work out in the end.”

Harpazo on September 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I suspect Obama will join a Christian church shortly before the 2012 campaign begins.

TN Mom on September 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I’ve said this all along. As much as it is fun to play conspiracy with a hidden muslim faith, the fact is that if he were muslim, that means he would have to acknowledge a power higher than himself. Does anyone actually believe that he is capable of doing so?

/not me

AZfederalist on September 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I think two different liberals have made this argument on my blog. I bet a substantial portion of atheists secretly believe/suspect this.

John on September 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Aww AP.

Suck it up.

Ugly on September 2, 2010 at 1:01 AM

/not me

AZfederalist on September 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If that power can provide for more power, why the he11 not ?

macncheez on September 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Obama thinks that Obama is the Christ. That’s not atheism.

Leftist dingbats throughout the Western world still agree that The One is The Christ of their mental disorder/religion called Liberalism.

Really Right on September 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Alternate headline: “Good news: Obama finally right about something.”

Bursting out laughing on a full stomach hurts.

Kralizec on September 2, 2010 at 1:38 AM

CynicalOptimist on September 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM

In The Screwtape Letters, CS Lewis describes a conversation between two demons on how to destroy man. One demon believes it is better to slightly distort and twist things that are good into things that are evil. Lewis was describing the rise of the infiltration of social justice movement in the church:

“On the other hand we do want, and want very much, to make men treat Christianity as a means; preferably, of course, as a means to their own advancement, but, failing that, as a means to anything- even to social justice. The thing to do is to get a man at first to value social justice as a thing which [God] demands, and then work him on to the stage at which he values Christianity because it may produce social justice. For [God] will not be used as a convenience.”

redeye on September 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM

You realize that because of (a), (b) makes it more likely that he really is an athiest (though not that much – plenty of Christians get into habits of missing church).

RINO in Name Only on September 2, 2010 at 4:07 AM

“Good news: Obama finally right about something.”

You are joking, for now.

leftnomore on September 2, 2010 at 4:13 AM

What a LOAD. My parents took all three kids three times a week to church. We were told you are going, get in the car, and that was that. But I had a MAN for a father.

leftnomore on September 2, 2010 at 4:18 AM

And yet, the extremely vocal atheist minority is driving Christianity underground. No longer, after 8/28. Why do you think Beck and Palin terrify the liberals?

disa on September 2, 2010 at 7:19 AM

I bet a substantial portion of atheists secretly believe/suspect this.

John on September 2, 2010 at 12:15 AM

In the same way as liberals believe that, despite his official position, he actually does support gay marriage.

And they’re right about that.

Missy on September 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Real practicing Christians don’t act like Obama does.
I’ve known lots of people who put on a cowboy hat that have said they are cowboys when they are not.
It’s the DEEDS that make you what you are.
You are not made something simply bcs you claim it.
In deed, Obama is an atheistic self-wosphipping narcissist.
How clear does this have to be before everyone understands it?

Badger40 on September 2, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Goa’uld?

malclave on September 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM

LOL!
I’m an SG nerd, too.
And that comment works.

Badger40 on September 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM

During the 2008 campaign, I read an old interview with Obama which included some comments on religion. The killer quote for me was when he referred to Jesus Christ as “an historic figure” with none of the usual Christian “Lord and Savior” stuff.
My take away, Obama is an agnostic.

J_Crater on September 2, 2010 at 8:25 AM

He’s a Marxist Black Liberation Theologist.
Key West Reader on September 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Maybe, but here’s my take…He is an atheist, but his heart lies with the Muslims because of his father and early exposure via his stepfather. However, his grandparents, mother and Frank Lloyd Davis were atheists. He’s an opportunist so…He had to go to Wright’s church on the say so of Michelle who got him into politics in the first place because of her father being in with the “machine.” It gave him credibility. “Being Christian” makes him acceptable to the masses for his run for president. No Christian covers up a cross when doing a speech for fear it may “offend” someone unless they see the cross as something less than holy. As a Marxist he would necessarily be an atheist. From his past speeches he definitely mocks the bible.

Nalea on September 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I think he does pray, but he prays to himself….

jeffn21 on September 2, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Note to The One: Join us.

Dude, I think he already has. Coulter has a point – true believers actually make demonstrations of their faith. I think if you claim to be Christian but only go to church on Xmas and Easter, you’re basically an atheist. Or at least, you’re not living your life significantly different than an atheist. Maybe you’re just afraid of the word “atheist.”

Sure, everyone’s level of devotion is different. But if you objectively live your life as if you don’t believe God is watching over your every move, and only say you believe in God when directly asked, how can you claim to be a believer?

For me personally, I always used to say I believe in God when asked, until I finally got over my fear of the atheist label. I imagine a lot of folks are in a similar situation. Maybe Obama is too (with the additional complication that admitting atheism would kill his poll numbers).

Enrique on September 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I’ve believed he was an atheist for quite awhile. The whole Rev. Wright church thing was just BS. He enjoyed Wright’s anti-American claptrap, and got some street cred to boot.

Bush made the effort to attend church every Sunday that he could. Obama just doesn’t give a flip, and uses the security issue as an excuse.

Ward Cleaver on September 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

You said it yourself. Nothing polls worse than an atheist. Of course one running for anything, especially with presidential aspirations, would sit in as many as he could stand. A mega church like that wouldn’t be able to tell if you’ve brought in a random book to read instead of paying attention to the sermon.

Esthier on September 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM

This reminds me of this picture:

Here’s my take:

Obama is an atheist socialist who has Marxist friends and is informed by Marxist thought, but regards the orthodoxy of Marxism as obsolete. Rather than try for revolution, which is bound to fail, he uses the system to get to the same goal.

To get elected in Chicago, he had to join a church. Christianity is just a shield against the religious right. Basically he thinks Americans care more about religion than economics, and if he protects himself on the religious flank he can convince on the economics.

As for Islam, it’s simple: He is “officially” (by Islamic law) a Muslim on account of his father being one. That said, he doesn’t believe in the religion; he’s after all an atheist. Islamists overlook what he says because they assume he is operating under Taqiah, i.e. lying to further Islam, and is thus not a traitor. The reason he sympathizes with Islam is that they both have a common enemy (Individualism and freedom; America), a common heritage (Obama+Islam V.S. the evil imperialist Anglo-saxon alliance of oppression), and demographics – 1.x billion Muslims means that they are key to eliminating what Marxists call the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie on earth.

As for the Nazi thing – by the very nature of his method (a transition to socialism V.S. a revolution), he needs to pass America through a phase of corporatism on the way to full socialism. You don’t get to Socialism overnight; he needs to pass more entitlements, nationalize banks, companies, etc. This is what people mean when they speak of fascism.

And finally the peace thing. It’s just a matter of Marxist doctrine for him – all wars are imperialist. Plus it’s a good way to create a base with the left that agrees with him anyways.

ebrawer on September 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM

But from his actions he doesn’t strike as very religious. Who knows?

terryannonline on September 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I think we can state with certainty that he’s not religious, because that implies that he is devoted to his faith with more outward expressions of it. Whether or not he has a spiritual relationship with God is something we can’t necessarily say. For that, you don’t have to have a church, though it helps.

Esthier on September 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM

The question someone needs to ask Obooba (at his next press conference…): “When were you baptized, in what church and by whom.”

Les Kinsolving, call yer office.

Akzed on September 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM

One would think having children would make attending church regularly more important not less.

MajorKong on September 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I think he is an atheist, and the confusion with his religion is that he is culturally Muslim, as opposed to being culturally American. He was a Jakarta street kid, doncha know.

Kristamatic on September 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM

As many of you point out, there seems to be a contradiction between atheism/marxism and islam, yet in our own country we see a political alliance of sorts between the two. Perhaps each see the other as useful idiots, perhaps the socialists see sharia law as closest to marxist totalitarianism, who knows.

During the pro-Cordoba mosque demonstrations in Manhattan, the Worker’s Socialist Party was out in force, and they don’t look like muslims. Whenever there is any kind of anti-Israel protest, they usually turn up.

slickwillie2001 on September 2, 2010 at 11:51 AM

How could an atheist love islam as much as Obama does?

A rational atheist would despise islam, for the cruelty it engenders in the name of a deity, and the holy sword-swinging hand chopping prophet

Nope, Obama would despise islam as much as he despised Christianity if he were an atheist, Even a lazy atheist.

Obama works too hard to encourage the growth of islam to be an atheist. He is a pragmatic promoter of islam, nourished in the black muslim culture of America which links Christianity to whites and whites to the devil. This is a faith which suits his hatred for the dominant American culture and law. Whether he loves non-black dominated middle eastern islam as much as he connects to the Nation of Islam is one question not answered. Both reiligious factions share the understanding the enemy of my enemy is my friend

entagor on September 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM

People believe Obama is Muslim because he was a practicing Muslim. This matters because Obama is now what Islamic law calls a murtadd (apostate), an ex-Muslim converted to another religion– who (under sharia law) is subject to the most severe penalties. Obama’s apostate status clearly has enormous implications for his relationship with the Muslim world.

Confirmed: Barack Obama Practiced Islam

In sum: The cited evidence demonstrates that Obama was an irregularly practicing Muslim who rarely or occasionally prayed with his step-father in a mosque. This precisely substantiates the assertion that Obama for some years had a reasonably Muslim upbringing under the auspices of his Indonesian step-father.

Therefore, what Quislings consider a media falsehood is in fact confirmed by evidence as truthful and accurate. The fact that so few understand this about Obama is a testimony to the Obamedia puppets disinformation and denial campaigns.

Denying Obama’s Muslim heritage is in itself a falsehood.

Terp Mole on September 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Coulter: Obama’s not a Muslim, he’s an atheist

Duh. How can he be a Christian when he’s too busy worshiping himself?

Iblis on September 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM