Chris Matthews: How can people not like a president who’s “almost pluperfect”?

posted at 12:13 pm on September 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

I like that he says “almost pluperfect” instead of “almost perfect.” Perfection, it seems, isn’t a grand enough concept to encompass the splendor of The One. But, laying aside the suggestion that ideological disagreement somehow shouldn’t influence personal likability (wouldn’t Matthews like self-made-man Rush Limbaugh more if Rush were a liberal?), is Ace right that Tingles is condescending to Obama in veiled racial terms here? Wouldn’t be the first time, if so: Remember, this is the guy who once tried to “compliment” the president on a speech by saying it made him forget for an hour that Obama was black.

I’m not sure, though. When I first watched it, all I took Matthews to be saying is that, even by normal politician resume standards, The One has a lot of “American dream” boxes checked. The implicit contrast, I thought, was with Bush: Obama was born with no advantages, studied hard — unlike Dubya, who’s a moron!!1! — and didn’t apply his talents to anything so venal as getting rich in business. (“He gave himself to his community.”) The part about raising a family was, I thought, just part of the “American dream” litany. But Ace makes a good point. There’s no one on cable, Olbermann included, who spends as much time obsessing about racial attitudes towards Obama as Matthews does. Why give him the benefit of the doubt this time? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Welcome to Obama Land; the America of the future where nothing can possiblie go wrong. Possibly go wrong. Hmm. Thats the first thing to go wrong.

BohicaTwentyTwo on September 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Perfect: Has been.
Pluperfect: Had been.

Tzetzes on September 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

See… I clicked cause I wanted a quick laugh before I head out to my real economy type job… snicker… Obviously Chrissy forgot to notice that Barry is a perfect connie a** wipe… Which proves that Chrissy is a complete dunce.

RalphyBoy on September 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Dee2008 on September 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

welcome to tingle land :)

cmsinaz on September 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Next he’ll be not just the “ultimate” president, but the “penultimate“. (Or even the antepenultimate.)

Tzetzes on September 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

HOPE!

Chris, the optative mood ain’t how you run a country.

Tzetzes on September 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Sometimes I wonder if Chris Matthews is viewing life from another dimension of reality, because he sure is unclear on the concept as far as what is happening in the dimension everyone else is occupying.

pilamaye on September 1, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Born with no advantages? Let’s see: spawn of American communists who networked him with the radical underground which is lavishly supported via the educational establishment which receives mega $ for grants, make work jobs (like college profs), etc, etc; helped by a society falling all over itself to help disadvantaged guys just like him; steered to the radical community in Chi-Town where every young, radical, disadvantage minority guy can prosper making a living in ‘organization’. I could go on but I think I’ve made my point. Sure he had a crazy, disfunctional family. So did I. Who doesn’t? But then, I’m 15/16ths Honky, and a Cracker Honky at that. Time to trade on my 1/16th First American blood and apply to BIA for my official disadvantaged card. The ‘single drop’ doctrine is still applicable. Time for all you Pale Faces to pay me. sarc/

JimP on September 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Tzetzes on September 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Preultimate?
Non-ultimate?
Misultimate?
Neo-ultimate?
Conultimate?

BobMbx on September 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I watched Obama last night. He no doubt has talent and is a likeable guy. However, the fact is his policies are a trainwreck and he is a terrible president despite his talent. I guess tingles is too stupid to figure that out. People don’t hate the man, they hate his actions.

saiga on September 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM

JimP on September 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM

“JIM’S RESERVATION AND CASINO”
We validate parking.

Tonto, Ride!

BobMbx on September 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

“Obeyed the law”?

Not if he was smoking pot in the States he wasn’t.

“Was an excellent student”?

Really? Matthews has seen Obama’s college records? Funny, because no one else has.

“Didn’t go out and make a lot of money on Wall Street”?

No, he did it the old-fashioned way: Through shady real estate deals.

Then there’s the part about hanging out with terrorist Bill Ayers and sitting in the pew of an America-hating church for 20 years. Chris tends to leave out things like that.

greggriffith on September 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Tingles made up a word? We must skewer him for it. Don’t you know? Only Darwinists like Richard Dawkins are allowed to do that(meme) politicians such as Sarah Palin not so much, to be fair we can’t let pundits get artful.

Oh, on topic. I love how its asserted, and yet not ever backed up by facts. He’s smart? Really Chris, show me the collage transcripts I might consider the notion but not until.

Sharr on September 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

I think it’s about time to send in the guys wearing the white coats and throw nets on all of these idiots. They could harm themselves or others.

Wills on September 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Misultimate?

BobMbx on September 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Just don’t misunderultimate him… ;)

Tzetzes on September 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I have come to the conclusion that tingles is a complete idiot, just like so many other Boston liberals. I just don’t understand how they can convince themselves to believe rediculous nonsense.

I have no life experience as a Northeastern liberal, and I just can’t get my head that far into fantacy land. I quess it is true that dumb asses can rationalize just about anything.

saiga on September 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

saiga on September 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I think Tingles is from Philly, which means he is an obnoxious moron, but without the “redeeming qualities” of a New England accent or a family pedigree dating back to the Pilgrims (or pretensions of same) like the Boston Brahmins.

JimP on September 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM

All right Matthews, put the crack pipe down and slowly walk away from it.

And wipe off the tingle that’s running down your leg, you blooming lunatic! You’re an embarrassment to your profession, whatever it is.

Sweet_Thang on September 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Pluperfect? Is Tingles getting “tense” about the midterms?
Obama is more like “Imperfect”.

Sent to the finest private schools in Hawaii, the Islands of Paradise, by his rich grandmother, a typical white woman.

and didn’t apply his talents to anything so venal as getting rich in business.

He got rich writing books about himself, portraying himself as a victim.

Bush got rich by selling oil, which has a redeeming value–it can be burned to make heat. A similarity to Obama’s books?

Steve Z on September 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Except for the Harvard part, I thought Matthews was referring to Frederich Engles or Karl Marx.

kens on September 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Good Lord, Matthews is a dolt. Who keeps giving him kool aid??? Bush may have been born with advantages, but Obama didn’t sacrifice himself to community organizing. Far from it. The man has millions now, a mansion in Chicago, and will make more money after he leaves office.

The only community organizing he truly did, was to get people riled up, and radicalize them into bullying others for what they want. He!! it’s easier than working for it I guess. *shrugs*

capejasmine on September 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Next he’ll be not just the “ultimate” president, but the “penultimate“.

Ah. Funny yes. But years ago I knew a features editor of a daily newspaper (more than likely a big Obama fan now) who used “penultimate” in a story about a concert he liked. Looking over his shoulder I pointed out to him that it meant next-to-the-last. With ostentatious patience explained to me that, no, it means “beyond ultimate,” clearly affixed with enough solid certitude about it that he needn’t reach across the desk for the dictionary (again, years ago) and needless to say the illogic of it on its face had not raised a shade of a glimmer in his prefrontal lobe.

“Penultimate” got by the copy editor, of course (since copy editors are usually failed editors.) So when it appeared in the paper next day the embarrassed managing editor saw it (managing editors are merely evil) and Mr. Penultimate got called on the carpet. He emerged and apologized to me, showing that he was a decent sort. I knew then he had no managing editorship in his future. In the same short span that I was a journo — I lasted six months in the Land of the Leftist Bubbleheads. It was a political weeded, I’m sure now. — another news editor as much as ordered me to insert a malapropism in a story and when I didn’t he got a flunky copy editor to put it in anyway. He is probably a managing editor somewhere, if someone hasn’t strangled him by now.

So these people often — often — don’t know what the heck they’re saying. They just say stuff. Matthews is speaking gibberish more than half the time and gets paid well for it. Barry the Clown has, er, floated to the top as the highest-rising malpractitioner of this “just say stuff” technique. Between the politicians and the scribblers sometimes it’s like purple-malaprop ping-pong. And if you count in the TV news anchor-creatures…<<>>

curved space on September 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Pluperfect is a verb tense that refers to some action completed with respect to a point in time. So, if Barry is a “Pluperfect President,” maybe Tingles means that he had been all washed up by the time of the broadcast. The idea that BHO will have been all washed up in 2012 is future perfect. How deliciously ironic.

College Prof on September 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Didn’t know that had an Honorary Bagdhad Bob Chair at the Holy Cross School of Journalism.

Oh… HC doesn’t HAVE a School of Journalism? That explains a lot. Should have driven 20 miles to BU, Chris.

VastRightWingConspirator on September 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Chris Matthews is one sick puppy! He makes me sick. I cannot watch him.

mountainaires on September 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM

As I’m sure someone else has already noted (and which I’m surprised wasn’t pointed out in the main post), Chris is so smart that he can use a grammatical term denoting tense as a superlative. I bet he splits atoms…with his mind.

darii on September 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Change your panties, Ms. Tingles !

cableguy615 on September 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I agree with Matthews: Pluperfect – not just a has been, a had been! Obama is not just so yesterday, he’s the day before yesterday!

Christian Conservative on September 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM

BobMbx on September 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM

LOL. Good one, Bob!

JimP on September 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM

The best part of that clip is that Matthews really can’t understand why people don’t like Hussein. Knowing that liberal dolts will never comprehend logical, free thinking, hard working, intelligent people gives me solace.

Alden Pyle on September 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Matthews should be careful about using big words. Pluperfect is the tense that describes a completed event in the past. Does that mean Obama is no longer POTUS or something?

(mumble mumble ignoramus mumble mum…..)
{+_+}