No “Mission accomplished” tonight, but claims of a promise kept

posted at 11:36 am on August 31, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When Barack Obama gives only his second Oval Office speech of his term tonight, he will speak on a more traditional Oval Office topic than his first, which dealt with the Gulf oil spill and offered nothing new at all to viewers.  Tonight, Obama will use his bully pulpit to discuss the drawdown of combat troops from Iraq and his vision of American security efforts in the region.  Robert Gibbs says he will not claim a “mission accomplished” moment but instead will claim credit for keeping his promise on Iraq — except, of course, that Obama has not done what he claimed he would once elected:

As President Barack Obama marks the end of the U.S. combat mission in Iraq with a major address to the nation Tuesday evening, what should be a triumphant, “Yes, I did” moment for him will be overshadowed by continued violence in Baghdad, the bad economy, the war in Afghanistan and the president’s fading popularity.

For the third time in four days, Obama will hammer home a crucial message — promise kept — in an Oval Office speech to a war-weary nation, just hours after addressing troops at Fort Bliss, an Army post near El Paso, Texas. It’s an important moment, highlighting Obama’s role as commander in chief and allowing him to claim credit for ending the deeply unpopular, seven-year-old conflict he inherited from President George W. Bush.

But for the president and White House officials, particularly those who were with Obama during the 2008 campaign, the moment has to be one of frustration. A war that largely defined much of that tumultuous campaign has faded from view for many Americans, according to numerous recent polls, meaning a controversial election year promise that Obama has kept may get scant notice because of more immediate problems.

First, let’s dispense with the “promise kept” canard, because that’s exactly what it is.  During the campaign, Obama repeatedly hammered the surge strategy that proved so effective that Obama himself is not only applying it in Afghanistan, he now has its author running the new strategy on that front in General David Petraeus.  Obama promised to have all American troops out of Iraq in 16 months regardless of conditions on the ground.

It’s to his credit — no, seriously — that he didn’t honor that promise but instead followed the game plan left for him by George W. Bush.  It would be even more to his credit if Obama acknowledged that tonight, but I doubt that will happen.

The families of those who fell in battle don’t want to hear about promises, as the Boston Herald notes well.  They want to know that this conflict achieved something significant enough for the sacrifice, and they want Obama to make that case in his speech tonight (via Jules Crittenden):

When President Obama declares the end of combat operations in Iraq from the Oval Office tonight, families of the fallen want him to tell them what their loved ones died for. And they question whether the war is really over.

“I’d love to know what we accomplished apart from losing our soldiers, one of which was my husband. I’m wondering if anyone really won,” said Melissa Storey, 32, of Palmer. Her husband, Army Staff Sgt. Clint J. Storey, 30, was killed by an improvised explosive on Aug. 4, 2006, leaving behind two young children. …

Merchant Marine Capt. Steve Sammis, whose son Marine Capt. Benjamin W. Sammis died in a helicopter crash in 2003, said Obama cannot take sole credit for the exit, noting the surge strategy that stabilized Iraq was ordered by Bush.

And Sammis added, “The soldier has yet to be born that will see victory in the war on terror. That means that in your lifetime you will not see victory in the war on terror.”

When the story of this war gets written, most will lay the responsibility on the President who fought it the longest, George W. Bush, and we will see a slew of analyses over the next week that insist he paid too high a price for his neoconservative adventure.  However, perhaps later, cooler minds will prevail and put this in proper perspective.  We had two choices in 2003: either remove Saddam Hussein or abandon Iraq to him.  The coalition that imposed military limits on Saddam was falling away, and the sanctions regime had become so corrupt that it made Saddam a multibillionaire in his personal fortunes.  His sons were poised to succeed him in this reign of terror.  Our twelve-year truce had been repeatedly violated by Saddam, who also attempted to assassinate a former President, and we had done nothing to  address any of it.

The follow-up nation building in which we engaged can also be debated, but again, we had little choice in the matter.  We either needed to stay in Iraq to raise up a new government and army, or watch as Iran seized control through the Mahdi Army or Iraq became a Somalia in Southwest Asia.  Either of those outcomes would have been orders of magnitude worse than our occupation over the last several years.  The management of the occupation was certainly debatable, but once we invaded, we had no other choice but to see it all the way through.

In fact, the die was cast in this case twenty years ago when the George H. W. Bush administration stood up to Saddam Hussein and demanded his withdrawal from Kuwait.  The decision to leave Saddam in place created the twelve-year Phoney War that followed, and left the choice of either surrender or victory to one of Bush’s eventual successors.  In the end, the war removed a brutal dictator who was murdering his own people at a far faster rate than the war did and over a much longer period of time and who, left to his own devices, would have beaten the Iranians to a nuclear weapon with equally disastrous implications.  The freely-elected but still dysfunctional government in Baghdad is at least a bright spot of hope in a dismal region, if we can remain committed enough to nurture it through friendship.  That is what our men and women fought and bled to create, and it’s to their honor that it exists today.

Comments

My liberal friends on Facebook are circulating a photo of Bush with the caption “I f**ked you all, but thanks for blaming it on the black guy.” Expect this dementia to explode exponentially as November looms.

Sharke on August 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I, me, me-shell, me, the girls, I, me, my, I.
I think I’ll pass on zero’s speech.

VegasRick on August 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I will be looking for signs of the new Oval Office makeover. Maybe some Lenin busts. Maybe a nice life size picture of Obama behind his desk.

faraway on August 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I,We,Me,I,We,Me,I,We,Me,Boooosshhhh.

portlandon on August 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM

“Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, I, Me, I, I, It’s Bush’s fault and I fixed it”, said Obama.

ramrants on August 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

“I kept my promise, America, I lowered my handicap.”

-PBHO

I wonder if the man will mention Afghanistan; 21 U.S. soldiers killed in the last 48 hours and Obie is NOT up to the task.

RIP, troopers.

Bishop on August 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Never mind Iraq. Let’s talk about something that interests BO like the new carpet and drapes.

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The freely-elected but still dysfunctional government in Baghdad is at least a bright spot of hope in a dismal region, if we can remain committed enough to nurture it through friendship. That is what our men and women fought and bled to create, and it’s to their honor that it exists today.

Well said. Too bad Obama won’t say it tonight.

txsurveyor on August 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Warning: Playing the I, Me, My drinking game might lead to alcohol poisoning…

mjbrooks3 on August 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Expect a number of lofty, idiotic statements.

Patrick S on August 31, 2010 at 11:46 AM

promise kept: GITMO

maverick muse on August 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM

It’s to his credit — no, seriously — that he didn’t honor that promise but instead followed the game plan left for him by George W. Bush. It would be even more to his credit if Obama acknowledged that tonight, but I doubt that will happen.

Obama and/or his advisers realized that if they had bugged out of Iraq, and the War on Terror in general, and there was another successful terrorist attack on U.S. soil, they would own it lock, stock and barrel. Following the schedule Bush left means that even if something happens, the White House can say because of the actions in Iraq and Afghanistan at least they tried (which begs the question of how hard they tried, but having Obama go back on his attacks on the surge was due entirely to wanting an insurance policy on his own political viability — if Barack had his way, we would have been out of Iraq a year ago, just as Gitmo would have been closed by now and what terror trials there were would be going on six blocks from Ground Zero).

jon1979 on August 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Many of the Iraqis do not want us to leave yet.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 11:48 AM

President GHWB built a coalition upon evicting Iraq from Kuwait and sold the mission in those terms. It did not include Saddam getting thrown out, he didn’t think he could’ve held the Egyptians or other Arab states together if an Arab leader would be getting overthrown. We operated under the fallacious assumption that the Iraqi people, after seeing their military kicked to kingdom come, would depose Saddam themselves—that failed to emerge just as it failed to emerge earlier this year in Iran with the horrendous murdering of Neda and others in the streets. Arab dictators crush opposition with reckless disregard for human rights.

ted c on August 31, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Gretchen Carlson and Gibbs really got into this morning on Fox & Friends. Gibbs dodge-tactic was to start counting the number of times Gretchen asked a question. Maybe if he answered it she would have moved on. Great stuff.

crazywater on August 31, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Sharke on August 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Shark, it’s amazing with all that has been exposed (as well as eyes seeing for themselves…I understand how the MSM rewrites and hides things) that there are still people like that with the temerity to still believe such horse-pucky.

Where do these sad peeps hide the atomic crane so they can suspend their brains from the truth? It’s beyond maddening.

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM

On the topic of the War on Terror (lest we forget):

One last point I will make. In dealing with terrorism, we can’t lose sight of our values and who we are. That’s why I closed Guantanamo. That’s why I made very clear that we will not engage in certain interrogation practices.

Good thing he closed it. And ended the practice of redition. Promises saved or created: 1,000,000,000.5

Thanks be to Obama! The Lightworker!

Abby Adams on August 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM

YOU LIE!

Christien on August 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM

crazywater on August 31, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Obama’s Human Gefilte Fish left out of the jar is still an unintelligible blob. I’d rather the REAL “Baghdad Bob” back than the despicable “Fibbs”.

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM

It would be good politics(and a classy move) to thank Bush for the surge. Obviously the troops and Petraeus deserve the most props, but omitting Bush’s name from his address tonight would be a very bad idea.

Doughboy on August 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Ain’t gonna happen. BHO is obtuse in many ways, but he’s the ultimate opportunist. After bashing and blaming Bush for his own benefit and to satisfy his crazy supporters there is no way he can give Bush credit for anything. It would be too costly for him. And it isn’t in his nature to be gracious.

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Obama is the master of illusion, rhetorical sleight of hand, and so many trial versions of this speech have been leaked, ridiculed, analyzed, and critiqued that what Obama will say tonight is an open question.

There will be giant leaps from something to something else unrelated to the first thing but will be delivered in those melodious tones and cadence that so mesmerize his cult followers. But one message, unstated, will be quite clear to those who live in Iraq, and the leadership of Iran. From the President of the United States to the people of Iraq; ‘you are on your own’. The leadership of Iran will understand this to mean that this low hanging fruit is ripe to be plucked from the tree.

Skandia Recluse on August 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Fox News just reported that Scooter called Dubya from Air Force One.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM

No link of the Carlson-Gibbs dustup, Ed?

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the families. However, even if Obama does what a C-in-C should do which is to support and pay respects to those who have fought and died for this country, he’ll never be able to pull it off convincingly. It just comes off as forced and disingenuous coming from him.

30 pcs of silver on August 31, 2010 at 11:55 AM

After all the shameful, lying, and downright pejorative comments the left has aimed at our heroes in Iraq, I just wonder if the president can muster up enough sincerity to make his speech acceptable to those heroes and their families.

fourdeucer on August 31, 2010 at 11:56 AM

In fact, the die was cast in this case twenty years ago when the George H. W. Bush administration stood up to Saddam Hussein and demanded his withdrawal from Kuwait. The decision to leave Saddam in place created the twelve-year Phoney War that followed, and left the choice of either surrender or victory to one of Bush’s eventual successors.

Let’s be fair about this part-Pappy Bush didn’t make the decision to leave Saddam in power. It was a prerequisite demanded by not only the UN but by many of the other Gulf states before they would sign on to the Coalition to kick Iraq out of Kuwait.

Del Dolemonte on August 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Now would be a great time for TOTUS to take R&R.

Christien on August 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Fox News just reported that Scooter called Dubya from Air Force One.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM

And I can’t imagine Bush being anything but gracious.

ramrants on August 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Everytime you see the look on the faces of the Iraqi people when they vote and dip their fingers in that ink – it was worth it and significant. Everytime you think of the people who didn’t die from torture of a cruel and evil man – it was worth it and significant.

They might not hear it from the speech tonight but most Americans know the truth.

gophergirl on August 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

That’s a bit of an understatement. Had the post-war occupation been better thought out and organized, we’re not even having this debate today.

YYZ on August 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Iraq will yet blow up in Barry’s face.

GarandFan on August 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

GarandFan on August 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The government’s not securely in place yet and Iran is just across the border.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Fox News just reported that Scooter called Dubya from Air Force One.
kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Collect? PBHO probably said “Hey! I’m calling you from a plane, a PLANE! Isn’t it cool?”

I like your site btw, I visit AND comment from time to time though I use a nom de guerre.

Bishop on August 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I am thinking Obama is going to preach along the lines of blaming Bush for a unnecessary war, yada yada, yada and Obama promised he would end it and he did (and Obama is the real hero in all this).

Oh yeah and no more invading Muslim countries….because, because its racist.

If Obama loses control of the House he knows there are only lame duck days are ahead and he is going to grind the US down in the dirt as much as he can, while he can.

albill on August 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Thought about watching it with a nice cold Newcastle. But now I don’t think I can handle his BS……

cmsinaz on August 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Bishop on August 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Thank you. I enjoy writing. It gives me the opportunity to vent. I wonder if Scooter asked Dubya to back him up on the mosque? I can’t see Boooosh doing that, though.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I kind of miss Highhopes and his colorful commenting, would love to read his take on this speech tonight.

fourdeucer on August 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Barack Obama and his irresponsible juvenile delinquent advisors are in uncharted territory.

Never has an incoming president so throughly lied about and subsequently disavowed his predecessor.

One reason we have orderly transitions from one president to the next is because we move forward. Jackass Obama won.

Instead of being responsible, Obama did a touchdown dance in the endzone then started trash talking the Republicans and George Bush and hasn’t shut up since.

Nor accomplished anything of worth.

Just one more reason to hope this idiot president were saddled with is one and done. He has lowered the bar for future presidents and in the process, made our country more unstable.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I have to go out back and shoot things to vent, if I had a blog I would need to ban myself for the inevitable bad language. Imagine that, banning yourself from your own site.

PBHO asked Dubya to stop visiting the troops because it’s making him (PBHO) look bad. Oh…and also which driver to use on a 350 yard dogleg over water.

Bishop on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

What is the booze of choice for the “I’s” and the “ME’s”? I want to make sure I can go to work tomorrow.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Only sort of OT:
Can anyone tell me the significance of the trip to Ft. Bliss ??
Hauling AF1, and all that implies, all the way to Texas,
and NOT to Ft. Hood ?? WTF ?? And, for what? 15 mins ??

The man is a CLUELESS EMBARRASSMENT!!

Thank you, W, and ALL our troops.

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Thank god for cable.
We all know what he is going to say and the only mystery will be what multi billion, trillion, gazillion dollar grand scheme he is going to come up with now to hoist on the still able to pay taxes citizens. I guarantee he is going to promote some sort of new ‘spending our way to prosperity’ plan. Hell it’s the only play in his book.
Me, I’ll be over on the SyFy channel or BBC America or ESPN. Anything not to see this train wreck of a president on my tv again.

Bet he looks good after all that golf and his vacation though.

Just A Grunt on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Two words: photo op.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Two words: photo op.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Or: Major Hasan.

Makes one wonder.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Such lack of class from Obama is certainly unexpected.

year_of_the_dingo on August 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Yeah, pretty much a given, eh ?
Just wondered if that’s where alot of tropps are heading, or SOME actual REASON ?
I recommend that no one attempt to ask Fibbsy about it, tho…
Gretch & Gibbsy, this morning

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Major Hasan was at Fort Hood, wasn’t he? Also, as I wrote in my blog this morning, a lot of the folks that deplayed to Iraq went through Fort Bliss.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Oh, be sure to count how many times Gretchen asks the question… he’s CORRECT for once !…he can’t even count !

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

“This war is lost,” -Dingy Harry.

Akzed on August 31, 2010 at 12:27 PM

GarandFan on August 31, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The government’s not securely in place yet and Iran is just across the border.

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Yep. And Iran has the full measure of pres. candy a$$ who want to be pen palls with A-jad.

Sigh…. two more years of this…..

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Bush to Obama: Ya know, I got this lil’ issue with dictators named Hussein. See what happened to Saddam. Now, what was your middle name?

Steve Z on August 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM

We won’t know for years if it was worth it. We had a tyrannical regime in power that was taken down. We now have an Islamic state with a population that basically hates us. Will they become more extreme over time, align themselves with some of their nutty neighbors? Will the “peace” even hold long term? Nobody knows.

As a lesson in the difficulty of creating a representative republic in an Islamic nation it has been useful. We clearly don’t have the funds or the political will to embark on anything like this again. Iran will go nuclear, other Islamic nations will get more extreme, Iraq maybe less so but it is hard to make the case it was “worth it” at this point.

echosyst on August 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Does anybody think this is the end of anything?

tarpon on August 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM

kingsjester on August 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Yeah… he was the Jihad of Hood. As for the deploying, they usually go through the post/base in which they are stationed unless they are National Guard and put into a different post/base.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I wish you guys would stop talking that way about how his wife dresses.

Merovign on August 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Purple fingers and democracy are nice to be sure, but I’m not sure how wise it was to knock off Iran’s biggest enemy. Well, the damage is done, but leaving now is a certain guarantee that our brave guys will have died in vain. Heart breaking. In a sick way I hope the piece of crap in the Oval Office tries to claim the credit of victory. The last chopper off the roof will belong to him.

dhimwit on August 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM

echosyst on August 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Michael Savage warned of this in “The Enemy Within”. At the time it scared me, but now, I’m just looking for brown pants…

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM

We mustn’t have a frustrated Obama. Everything, even the war in Iraq, is about Obama. My dislike for this president grows with every story written by the MFM. I wonder if they realize the damage they are doing him with all but the far left of the country?

Sue on August 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

=”It’s all about me.”

I think Barrack Obama is a variant of Kayne West. It’s funny to think of what Obama thought of West.

“He’s a jackass”

“..I know who’s ass to kick”

shick on August 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Netflix and 500 other channels will be the order of the day.

Of course, there’s also a book I’ve been meaning to get to – tonight is as good a night to start it as any.

SouthernRoots on August 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I doesn’t matter what you drink during the “I,I,me,me” game. Just listening to the speach itself will cause enough nausea to keep you out of work until at least Friday.

milwife88 on August 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I won’t be watching tonight as I know exactly what the Won’s going to say. MeMeMeMe and more Me with a few I’s thrown in. Maybe he’ll show a few family vacation photos just to spice it up. ‘Did you see me riding the bike?’

Kissmygrits on August 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I lie. I lie. I lie. You suck. I lie. I lie. I lie.
-Zero

Maquis on August 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM

milwife88 on August 31, 2010 at 12:51 PM

true. It is like being on that ride, the gravitron. Hold my hair!

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 1:12 PM

none of his cronies on the msm will even acknowledge credit to W….what a bunch of tools….

no class whatsoever….

cmsinaz on August 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM

It’s going to be difficult for this lightweight piece of lint to take much credit for Iraq tonight. Did you see how Fox’s Gretchen Carlson had Obama sycophant Gibbs stuttering and dodging by asking him 5 times whether Obama was going to give Bush credit for the winning Iraq surge strategy (which then Senator Obama predicted would fail.)? Also both Obama comrades Pelosi and Reid predicted dire outcomes for the war-Reid proclaiming “the war is lost.”
Ironically Reid may be right after all. President Lightweight could still snatch defeat away from certain victory.
But the most difficult thing for Obama has always been to do two things at the same time such as talk and tell the truth.

MaiDee on August 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM

“Robert Gibbs says he will not claim a “mission accomplished” moment but instead will claim credit for keeping his promise on Iraq”

Bwaaahahahaha!
Robert Gibbs Lies About Obama’s Position on the Iraq Surge (Video)

mrt721 on August 31, 2010 at 1:16 PM

No link of the Carlson-Gibbs dustup, Ed?

MadisonConservative on August 31, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Gibbs talking points that he was trying to spin will be what the journolisto’s will be pushing in trying to rewrite history concerning Iraq and the despicable positions that democrats like Obama took.

Gibbs stated that Obama always maintained that sending troops would stop the violence….not so:

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, on January 10 2007 predicted that the surge of troops in Iraq would fail. “I am not persuaded that 20,000 additional troops in Iraq is going to solve the sectarian violence there,” he told MSNBC. “In fact, I think it will do the reverse.”

Four days later he told CBS’s Face the Nation that “we cannot impose a military solution on what has effectively become a civil war. And until we acknowledge that reality — we can send 15,000 more troops, 20,000 more troops, 30,000 more troops, I don’t know any expert on the region or any military officer that I’ve spoken to privately that believes that that is going to make a substantial difference on the situation on the ground.”

….actually…Obama not only stated that the surge would not work….he put forth a plan that called for redeployment in 2007:

Axelrod Misrepresents Obama’s Position on the Surge
BY John McCormack
May 30, 2008 5:40 PM

Obama

Only by redeploying our troops can we press the Iraqis to reach comprehensive political accommodation and achieve a successful transition to Iraqis’ taking responsibility for the security and stability of their country.

….more of the “send the troops to Okinawa to fight the terrorist in Iraq” line by the “adults.”

…this is from Obama’s own website…his plan…his words.
His message was clear….in 2007….Obama called for an immediate withdrawal:

From Obama’s own Website:

I opposed this war from the beginning. I opposed the war in 2002. I opposed it in 2003. I opposed it in 2004. I opposed it in 2005. I opposed it in 2006. I introduced a plan in January to remove all of our combat brigades by next March. And I am here to say that we have to begin to end this war now.

Let me be clear: there is no military solution in Iraq, and there never was. The best way to protect our security and to pressure Iraq’s leaders to resolve their civil war is to immediately begin to remove our combat troops. Not in six months or one year – now.

It really boggles the mind to watch the Obama administration and his liberal supporters defy all truth,logic,and reality in trying to give Obama credit for the Freedom we are seeing in Iraq…..it may be ugly….but planting the roots of democracy has never been pretty.

The political progress that Gibbs keeps referring to was already well on it’s way before Obama even took Office:

Iraq War 6 Years Later: Success But No ‘Victory’

By James Rosen
FOXNews.com
Thursday, March 19, 2009

Senior U.S. officials say the Iraqi government has quietly met 17 of 18 political, economic, and security benchmarks set for it more than two years ago.
And by almost any measure — U.S. and Iraqi casualties, political vibrancy, economic activity — the “surge” announced by President Bush in January 2007 has worked to produce a safer, more stable Iraq.

..I would love to hear the Obama administration lay out for the American public exactly what it did to produce success in Iraq (besides following the SOFA agreement laid out by Bush) since Obama has been President.

….and remember….it is not just “NeoCons” that claim the Surge worked…..the Iraqis claim it also:

Iraqi Prime Minister Brings Largely Unnoticed Upbeat Message to White House: Successful ‘Surge’ Has Led to ‘Stability’ in Iraq

Friday, July 24, 2009
By Pete Winn, Senior Writer/Editor

- In the nuanced language of diplomacy, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki sent an upbeat message that went practically unnoticed by U.S. media Wednesday during his visit to the White House: The surge of U.S. troops under President George W. Bush has meant success for Iraq and brought stability to that nation.

Our Troops,the Iraqis and President Bush deserve an enormous amount of credit for staying strong on the battlefield and politically at home in the fight against the jihadist…..
………….it is a disgrace that Obama and the democrats are to partisan and petty to acknowledge this.

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The only way Obama will mention Dubya, if he mentions him at all, will be in the 3rd person derogatory. Obama is too much a narcissist to not take complete credit or assess blame for his own failures.

simkeith on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

mrt721 on August 31, 2010 at 1:16 PM

even msdnc is calling this out, that takes guts for them re: dear leader

cmsinaz on August 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Bravo.

There is Cheap Trick on a similar thread. This should be the music for The ZerObama administration.

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I apologize before the fact to my parents, who raised me better. They taught me to respect authority and to return respect. Even though he somehow got the title, the community organizer is not my president. He is a liar and an embarrassment. I do not watch him, I do not listen to him. Unqualified, unmitigated disaster, he is, and I hope and pray he is not allowed to ruin our country.

sgtstogie on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

For anyone interested in the Gretchen Gibbs dustup. Fox has edited the tape to take out her comments objecting to Obama saying 20,000 troops would help and her statement of ” is that how Obama is going to characterize his flip flop” . I don’t know why Fox did that but the cuts are very obvious and this is disappointing. I hope someone has the original…

CCRWM on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I wonder how many are going to buy into the narrative that this was, indeed, a promise kept, but I’m curious, too, if the fanfare over such a trivial theme as “look at me, I kept my promise!” won’t backfire as people realize just how exceptional such a thing has become for this administration.

There’s a reason that’s the chosen theme of this important speech, after all, let us all mark this day in history as the day Obama kept his promise (except, not really).

BlueCollarAstronaut on August 31, 2010 at 2:08 PM

At about the time of the “surge” we bribed a bunch of Sunnis to fight AIQ after AIQ started killing them, which tended to piss them off enough so they would fight them if we paid them. What did the “surge strategy” prove so effective at?I mean for us. What have we gotten out of Iraq? A Shariah constitution based “democratic ally” in the war on terror”? That’s a parody punchline, right?

This is what we get out of Iraq.

So now on to “surge” in Shariah constitution Afghanistan where our troops can die for Shariah and pedophiles and misogynists

As George Taylor, played by Charlton Heston, said in The Planet of the Apes, “It’s a Mad House! It’s a Mad house!!”.

Tav on August 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Bammie called President George W. Bush to ask if the ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner was somewhere in the White House attic.

slickwillie2001 on August 31, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Tav on August 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Speaking of Afghanistan, your post reminded me of an important doco everyone should see. Beyond disturbing.

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Yes, Iraq is really going to work out well.

Religious intolerance part of lesson plan in Iraqi schools

Mission accomplished.

Tav on August 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

You’re a gem, BG… thanks !
:-)

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Some students appear to be learning the lessons well.

Sajjad Kiayyad, 7, of Baghdad, said he plans to become a holy warrior when he grows up. “I will fight the Americans because they are Jewish and unbelievers,” he said. “I will be victorious, or I will be a martyr in heaven.”

Maryam Ali, 9, also of Baghdad, said she is carrying out her own jihad by calling on “unveiled female friends to cover their heads.

Tav on August 31, 2010 at 2:48 PM

What Mission Was Accomplished?

Iraq’s former role in terrorism is over, for now. But al Qaeda in Iraq is resurgent and terrorist acts are taking a daily toll of lives there. President Bush stated that our goal in Iraq was to create a new nation able to govern, sustain, and defend itself and become an ally in the global war on terrorism. None of those goals have been achieved, and what has been accomplished is, at best, transitory.

After seven years of American occupation, those goals are as distant as they were in 2003. There have been several national elections, the most recent in March, but Iraqi leaders have been shielded from the responsibility to their nation by our occupation. For the past five months, Nouri al-Maliki and Ayad Allawi have not been compelled — as they would be if the politics of democracy were at work in their country — to compromise and form a working coalition government. Iraq is not able to govern itself. Without that capability, it cannot sustain or defend itself, and its ability to function as an ally against the nations that sponsor terrorism is nothing more than an American illusion.

It is unneccessary to await historians’ judgment a century from now to conclude that in Iraq we have not even achieved a brief respite. The war the terror-sponsoring nations wage against us is unabated, the terror sponsors unharmed by the war in Iraq. As I have written here many times, whether we stay in Iraq — or in Afghanistan — for another year or another century, we cannot win the war because we are fighting only the enemy’s proxies.

Tav on August 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Bravo.

Gob on August 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Thanks…like the link even though we all know that Megadeath carries way to much testosterone for our Whiner-n-Chief.

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

You’re a gem, BG… thanks !
:-)

pambi on August 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Thanks….
…..it really defies all logic to watch an administration that has failed so much have to try and steal the accomplishments of the previous administration.

This really should be about honoring our troops for their sacrifice’s made on the front lines,the leadership here that refused to give up, and the long road forward in helping this young democracy be successful.

Instead it will be all about Obama trying to score political points.
….pathetic.

Baxter Greene on August 31, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I will not spend a second listening to the Liar-in Chief. He will take credit for something he had nothing to do with. What he could actually take credit for is the destruction of our Country. He could take credit for the economy in being the bucket and for all the people who are unemployed by his policies. He can take credit for the pending collapse of Health care and the thousands who will die because of Health Care rationing. No wonder the word went out to the democrats not to talk about Obamacare. He could also take credit for all the unemployed oilrig workers in La. He can take credit for the first time since the Civil War that the Government has attacked a State in the Union. That State being Az. One thing we could all be Thankful for is that Obama was not President on Sept. ll, 2001 because he would have most likely sided with the terrorists as his Pastor Wright did.

flintstone on August 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM

This is the second attempt to post. I will not spend a second of time listening to the Liar-in-Chief. He will try to take credit for something he had nothing to do with and fought the entire operation in Iraq from the start of it.
What he can take credit for is the economy being in the bucket, massive unemployment because of his policies. The soon to be collapse of the Health Care Systems and the deaths of thousands because of the rationing of Health Care. We should all thank God that George W. Bush was President on Sept. ll, 2001 because Obama would have probably sided with the terrorists as his Pastor- Wright did.

flintstone on August 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Don’t forget to check out Sarjex’s Obama Speech Bingo card before the speech!

CrankyTRex on August 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM

How cute. They cut up Michelle’s Inauguration dress and made curtains!

J_Crater on August 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM