Great news: Heavy drinkers live longer than non-drinkers

posted at 1:27 pm on August 31, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Blogger going to live forever.”

[A] new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that — for reasons that aren’t entirely clear — abstaining from alcohol does actually tend to increase one’s risk of dying even when you exclude former drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers’ mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers…

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. One drawback of the sample: a disproportionate number, 63%, were men. Just over 69% of the never-drinkers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died.

These are remarkable statistics. Even though heavy drinking is associated with higher risk for cirrhosis and several types of cancer (particularly cancers in the mouth and esophagus), heavy drinkers are less likely to die than people who have never drunk. One important reason is that alcohol lubricates so many social interactions, and social interactions are vital for maintaining mental and physical health. As I pointed out last year, nondrinkers show greater signs of depression than those who allow themselves to join the party,

New alternate headline: “Blogger not going to live forever after all.” Seriously, though, does the social lubrication theory make sense? My guess is that there are as many heavy drinkers, if not more, among people who are socially isolated as there are teetotalers. Plus, according to Time, the researchers controlled for all sorts of variables — including “number of close friends” and “quality of social support” — and still found higher mortality among non-drinkers. If anything, I’d expect that some significant percentage of teetotalers eschew booze because they’re unusually health-conscious, which should boost the overall group’s lifespan beyond that of a bunch of, um, alcoholics.

I’m honestly interested in an explanation for this. Maybe it has something to do with heavy drinkers needing to depend more on friends and family day to day? Having de facto caretakers keeping an eye on them may provide an early warning system for emerging health problems that teetotalers don’t enjoy. Or does booze itself, even in massive quantities, provide some sort of as-yet-undetermined physical health benefit? Any theories?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Looks like non-drinking is a Beta male trait to avoid. Score another one for the Alpha males!!!!

taney71 on August 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM

More good news: Islamist terrorists will die earlier than anyone.

rivlax on August 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Recently I saw some studies that found no higher than usual mortality rates for moderate cigar smokers. Now bourbon is off the hook too. My evening drink and cigar are safe.

Kinda takes some of the fun out of it.

novaculus on August 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM

*after spotting 115 year old Japanese dude at a bar*

“I’ll have what he’s having”

Guardian on August 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

This is the only cheery news I’ve read lately. Guess I’ll start drinking again. Unfortunately, the only thing I can afford is beer.

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Let’s ask Christopher Hitchens about this one.

Greenhelmet on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I’m honestly interested in an explanation for this. Maybe it has something to do with heavy drinkers having to depend more on friends and family day to day? Having de facto caretakers keeping an eye on them may provide an early warning system for emerging health problems that teetotalers don’t enjoy. Or does booze itself, even in massive quantities, provide some sort of as-yet-undetermined physical health benefit? Any theories?

I am quite confused by the entirety of the article, but it seems that I am going to die young. :/ Oh, well.

I do know that doctors recommend a glass of wine a night, or two, for cardiovascular health. I have pondered that at times, but it’s tough to say “I drink alcohol for health reasons” with a straight face.

…until now.

taney71 on August 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Alpha males don’t drink. Ruins perception, reaction time, behavioral control. Major security risk. What happens if someone gets rowdy? Pulls a knife? A gun?

Alpha males don’t drink. They just kick ass.

KinleyArdal on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I don’t know if I could deal with the new drinks fads anymore. Anyone seen or tried something called Turkey Pee? I think I would rather die then drink that.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Perhaps whatever the nonalcoholics are drinking is worse than the drinkers…excessive soda -> diabetes, etc

These results need to be repeatable though.

Black Yoshi on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

As a minor, should I have started earlier?

FontanaConservative on August 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

More good news: Islamist terrorists will die earlier than anyone.

rivlax on August 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM

CambellBrown on August 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Riiiight. Non-drinkers die of liver failure at much higher rate than heavy drinkers.

Whoever did this study must have been drunk off his ass.

slug on August 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

There’s a lot of doctors that tell me
I’d better stop putting it down
But there’s more old drunks
Than there are old doctors
So I guess I’d better have another round

Willie was right.

roux on August 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM

mmm…but they don’t live longer than moderate drinkers…I’ll stick with my one glass of red wine per night.

LEBA on August 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Weird study. If true, my guess is stress reduction via imbibing prolongs the viability and health of some organs at a higher rate than the organs the alcohol would be damaged.

Patrick Ishmael on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

These results need to be repeatable though.

Black Yoshi on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That’s a good thought, and could be well on the mark. I personally drink fruit juices, tea, and milk for my flavored beverages, and the very occasional root beer float for a treat. I haven’t had any soda pop outside of a dessert dish in perhaps a decade.

I can live longer, maybe?

KinleyArdal on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Don’t go putting down beer…

“Alcohol…The cause of, and solution to, all life’s problems.”–Homer Simpson

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

So , explain russia..

the_nile on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

It’s a cruel, cruel study. I like alcohol but my liver just can’t handle it. Thus, I don’t drink but it’s not because I don’t like drinking, I just can’t survive the stuff.

I don’t know where that leaves me…except that I really, truly miss Tanqueray and white wine with pasta.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

All IS WELL EFFECT.

antisocial on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Conversation in Obama’s America in 2016….

“Remember when we could drink Jack Daniels?”

“Heck, yeah and I remember when we could drive our cars by ourselves”

“And remember when you could eat french fries before they were outlawed?”

“Yeah, and remember that document that those racist Tea Partiers were always yappin about before the camps?”.

“He, yeah, I think it was something called the Constitution”.

“Oh, that’s right that thingy the Slave owners came up with to keep power over the minorities.”

“I’m so glad we’re over that freedom stuff”.

“Me too, Say what time does the train leave for your camp?”

“Noon, they told me I don’t need to bring a change of clothes though.”

“Mmmmm, well enjoy the trip”.

“Yeah, you do the same”.

(Train whistle in the background).

PappyD61 on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Never heard of it, but if you are drinking anything other than a nice, smooth Irish whiskey, or a fine, aged scotch – then you are definitely a heathen.

Oh, bourbon will work in a lurch…

catmman on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

First they drive you to drink which in turn makes you live longer to suffer under their rule. Can’t win.

cartooner on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Used to be I’d never drink before dinner. Recently I’ve become much more strict, never drinking before lunch.

Akzed on August 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

My great-grandfather, who died well in the 1040s when he was around 80 had one shot of whiskey before dinner every day. When teased about it he would proclaim that alcohol helped prevent hardening of the arteries. Sometime in the 70s or early 80s some researchers announced the same thing.

So I’d assume that even with the damages that too much alcohol can do, the preventive benefits of drinking on the cardiovascular system usually outweighed the cirrhosis and cancers.

Alcohol is also a relaxant, and relaxing can be physically beneficial too.

LibraryGryffon on August 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Well sure. Drinking all that preservative for decades pickles a person.

Just drink embalming fluid.

portlandon on August 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Slow news day.

I noticed.

Count to 10 on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

It’s….it’s beautiful *sob*!

NickelAndDime on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

So , explain russia..

the_nile on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

That reminds me, I also really miss Stolichnaya, especially right out of the deep freeze. Stolichnaya with caviar on toast with lemon and a few bits of boiled egg and white onion.

I’ve never had caviar since I stopped drinking, unfortunately, it’s lost it’s magic with Stolichnaya.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I’ve never had caviar since I stopped drinking, unfortunately, it’s lost it’s magic WITHOUT Stolichnaya.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Abstainers mortality rates higher than those of heavy drinkers?
Did they consider that heavy drinkers quite often plow their vehicles into abstainers.
Was that not considered an effect on the life expectancy of abstainers?

ZeeMI on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

My great-grandfather, who died well in the 1040s when he was around 80

“who died well into the 1940s”

Sheesh, the one time I don’t preview….. 8)

LibraryGryffon on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Well sure. Drinking all that preservative for decades pickles a person.

Just drink embalming fluid.

portlandon on August 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM

*chokes on drink*

@_@

KinleyArdal on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

The news day just got a little less boring:

Reuters/Ipsos: Toomey leads by 10 in Pennsylvania.

amerpundit on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

this may be an instance of spurious correlation AP.

In statistics, a spurious relationship (or, sometimes, spurious correlation or spurious regression) is a mathematical relationship in which two occurrences have no causal connection, yet it may be inferred that they do, due to a certain third, unseen factor (referred to as a “confounding factor” or “lurking variable”). The spurious relationship gives an impression of a worthy link between two groups that is invalid when objectively examined.

The misleading correlation between two variables is produced through the operation of a third causal variable. In other words we find a correlation between A and B. So we have three possible relationships:

A causes B,
B causes A,
OR
C causes both A and B.
The last is a spurious correlation. In a regression model, where A is regressed on B, but C is found to be the true causal factor for B; this is called specification error. It is therefore often said that “Correlation does not imply causation”.

ted c on August 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I think they had that moderate drinkers survived longest of all, and that the social benefits were likely where the life extension was coming from.

Count to 10 on August 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Oh yeah!

Wyznowski on August 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.” – Benjamin Franklin

No wine or beer for me, beer is the very best.

About to crack open a Leffe Brown Ale in a moment.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Don’t go putting down beer…

“Alcohol…The cause of, and solution to, all life’s problems.”–Homer Simpson

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Beer will do. Back in the day, my bourbon and cocktail days, I considered beer to be a soft drink. Hmmmm….. I’m really thinking about a nice bottle of bourbon – my fall and winter drink. Time to get back in shape! :)

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Can you really consider existing in a “pickled” state living?

olesparkie on August 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Whoever did this study must have been drunk off his ass.

slug on August 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Hahahaha…

Was thinking the very same thing. After knowing many an adult who looked and felt horrible after thirty years of drinking, I can’t imagine that they’d be the ones who’d survive the longest out of a room of non-drinkers, or former drinkers.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I would like to point out another thing that Beer is good for..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I love social lubrication!!!!!

search4truth on August 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM

My wife doesn’t drink, because like about 25% of some asian groups, she cannot metabolize alcohol. Other groups may have other genetic differences. So it is not clear at all that simply starting to drink will make a difference. Especially if you don’t also stop whatever other activity teetotalers do that is killing them off.

pedestrian on August 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM

A few thoughts …

1) If you are a teetotaler for anything other than medical reasons, you are probably uptight, because a little wine cheers the heart (this is biblical)

2) I’m not sure that what the government tells us is “heavy drinking” today is actually “heavy drinking.” Watch a movie from the 30s, 40s or 50s. Watch “Mad Men.” People drank all the time. Today, they tell us that women should limit themselves to one glass of wine per day, and men two glasses. What’s up with that?

3) I would not assume that all “heavy drinkers” share the same lifestyle habits otherwise. I’m sure there are plenty of alcoholics who don’t smoke, who work out regularly and who otherwise live reasonably healthy lives. They drink, but that’s not everything ….

4) Genetics, baby. Everybody’s constitution is different.

DaydreamBeliever on August 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Its almost beer o’clock…

mjbrooks3 on August 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Well, if some here have a drink everytime this bho says ‘I,Me’ in the speech tonight, y’all will live to be 120!
L

letget on August 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Count to 10 on August 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I dunno but I’ll lay my best odds on genetics. If you have grandparents who lived/survived to an old age — say, 85 and over — then it’s more than likely, all things being equal, that you will, too.

But I can’t say that drinking with regularity or intensity (daily 12 ounces or more of whatever alcohol which, in my experience, most people tend to up-to if they continue to drink…it’s a momentum many people work into unfortunately while never realizing that they “drink heavily”) provides what I’d call a good benefit for longevity.

I think it’s more than anything, in your genes or it isn’t.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM

it gives the liver something to do… no pain, no gain :)

phreshone on August 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Pass the Maker’s Mark…

Khun Joe on August 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM

You’re interested in an explanation for this? How about the explanation that the science behind this ridiculous study is flawed in so many ways it’s not even funny.

The first flaw is that it chose people within a 10 year age range.

We have no idea what percentage of each group was near the higher area of that range or the lower area of the range. Heck, for all we know every single heavy drinker in the “study” was 55 and every single non-drinker was 65. We just don’t know.

But when looking at a 10 year age range for a 20 year “study”, you’re throwing a huge amount of variation into the mix.

Furthermore, the “study” doesn’t take into account people who died before the age of 55 that couldn’t be included in the “study”.

The actual “study” was called “Late-Life Alcohol Consumption and 20-Year Mortality”. Notice the Late-Life part in there.

I’m not going to pay to see the complete “study”, but from the abstract the following:

Background:  Growing epidemiological evidence indicates that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with reduced total mortality among middle-aged and older adults. However, the salutary effect of moderate drinking may be overestimated owing to confounding factors. Abstainers may include former problem drinkers with existing health problems and may be atypical compared to drinkers in terms of sociodemographic and social-behavioral factors.

Results:  Controlling only for age and gender, compared to moderate drinkers, abstainers had a more than 2 times increased mortality risk, heavy drinkers had 70% increased risk, and light drinkers had 23% increased risk. A model controlling for former problem drinking status, existing health problems, and key sociodemographic and social-behavioral factors, as well as for age and gender, substantially reduced the mortality effect for abstainers compared to moderate drinkers. However, even after adjusting for all covariates, abstainers and heavy drinkers continued to show increased mortality risks of 51 and 45%, respectively, compared to moderate drinkers.

Anyone who believes heavy drinking is going to make them live longer is a fool.

ButterflyDragon on August 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Looks like moderate drinking is the winner… which makes some sense.

Having dealt with alcoholics, I can anecdotally report that most end up being relieved of the cares of life as they become incapable of handling their daily affairs. Stress is thus relieved.

I have a friend who has a brother who threw away his college education and career on drugs. He’s been living off family from his early 20s. No bills. No bill collectors. No kids. He hasn’t a care in the world. Everybody else does his worrying for him.

Just a thought.

mankai on August 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I believe it was Mark Twain who said,

I don’t know if eating and drinking healthy make you live longer, but I bet it sure feels that way.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Ahh, but it is the SIZE of that glass that’s important!

;)

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I’m going to make fine foie gras some day.

Mr. Bingley on August 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I’m performing my own study; I’ll get back to you in ten years with the results.

pain train on August 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

How is this going to impact Obama Care?

Oil Can on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Stoli on toast? Hmmm.

Rosmerta on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Only one out of every three hospital beds is filled with an alcoholic, which just proves the health benefits of heavy drinking.

NNtrancer on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

The old man is a heavy drinker. He just turned 60 last month. He’s been a homeless drunk for at least the last 5 years. My heavy drinking/heroin & oxy using brother currently lives in a tent with his family. I’ll take quality years over quantity.

rw on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I’ll get the last comment in on HA

DarkCurrent on August 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Its people that make us sick and people who make us well. A social drink is wonderful people lubricant. But ifyou cannot stop at one or two, then you are over into hurting yourself, not to mention a victim of the lucrative DUI industry.

jimw on August 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Stoli on toast? Hmmm.

Rosmerta on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Ha, no, sorry, my about my poor sentence structure there — I have a problem with that in general (sentence structure).

I meant drinking Stoli while also enjoying caviar on toast with the other bits.

Same with the previous comment: Tanqueray, THEN white wine with pasta. Not Tanquerey with white wine and pasta…

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Nice glamour shot of your Precious on the front page, AP. ;)

Bee on August 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Stoli on toast? Hmmm.

Rosmerta on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

But, actually, the thing with Stolichnaya, as I recall, is that with enough of it one quickly forgets the toast. Or wants toast.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Bottoms up.

AlexB on August 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

. I’ll take quality years over quantity.

rw on August 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Yes, seriously, what I concluded, too, many a year ago.

Sorry about your family.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I would like to point out another thing that Beer is good for..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

What a great laugh that was!

Gang-of-One on August 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Stolichnaya Russian Standard straight from the freezer with caviar on toast with lemon and a few bits of boiled egg and white onion.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

“Heavy drinkers live longer than non-drinkers”? I’ll drink to that! Slainte!

theCork on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Booze is for healing

Asher on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

If you’re of european anscestory, your family tree thrived on either beer or wine.

For centuries, water would kill you.

Solution? Beer and wine. Safe to drink. Saved lives.

So therefore, it’s part of our cultural heritage and to take it away or limit it in anyway, would be bigoted, mean-spirited and deeply hurtful.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Cody1991 on August 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I’m a scotch guy myself…preferably a nice light single malt (nothing too peaty and oaky) like Glenlivet. But Johnnie Black works just fine for a blend. But you’re right…gets a bit pricey with the hard stuff. Nothing wrong with a couple six’s of Bud or Coors in the fridge tho.

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I warned people about this when they started talking about airbags and seatbelts………

unseen on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Never had Russian Standard but you’re a tease. ;)

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

By the end of the obama speech tonight, I am going to be pickled via good vodka.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Drinking game time?

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Slow news day.

Well, going off topic, I see that Hollyweird has decided to ruin Hawaii Five-O. This deserves it’s own thread!

reaganaut on August 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Never had Russian Standard but you’re a tease. ;)

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

When Russians want to impress you, they break out the Russian Standard. It is recently available here, so I don’t have to duty free it anymore.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Drinking game time?

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

That, and the fact I can buy russian vodka from my porch.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

For centuries, water would kill you.

Solution? Beer and wine. Safe to drink. Saved lives.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Hmmm…interesting, so because Vodka and Gin and white wine LOOK like water, then, it’s OK to continue to drink them?

:o

I’m going to now depart this slippery sloap for a good night’s rest.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The Surgeon General does not recommend watching an Obama speech on a full stomach.

If you insist however, have a friend or relative nearby so you don’t go out like John Bonham.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Or you find some russian friends who go over a lot and have them buy it for you. Or trade them for russian beads.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

slope, not “sloap”. Gaaa.

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Gang-of-One on August 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Nothing is more true..Agree?..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Lourdes on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Absolute-ly.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Maybe heavy drinkers live longer because they have sex more often, courtesy beer goggles.

itsacookbook on August 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

That, and the fact I can buy russian vodka from my porch.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

:D

Stoli is nice…

JetBoy on August 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

That, and the fact I can buy russian vodka from my porch.

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on August 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Slainte => To your health!

theCork on August 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

theCork on August 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Prost!

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Well it isn’t just about the obama speech. I am putting a re-offer in on a house, they sent the offer back at such and such a price… so I am now in BID WARS! I am stressed out, tired and hoping this ends soon… with a cranberry/blueberry/Permafrost Vodka. Yum

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Heh.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I’m honestly interested in an explanation for this.

One easy explanation: the study is flawed. For one, they only looked at patients starting from their age 55-65. That would introduce a huge selection bias, as people tending toward real heavy drinking (and perhaps driving) would have “selected” themselves out of the gene pool by that age.

My bet is if they were to repeat the study for general population (perhaps starting ages 30 and up or even 20 and up), this statistical anomaly will disappear.

novakyu on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

OK, I’m convinced. My wife & I just don’t like the taste of alcohol, but we’re going to have a few sips of wine every day from now on.
To health!

itsnotaboutme on August 31, 2010 at 2:07 PM

so I am now in BID WARS!

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Hope it works out. People are still not wanting to admit what their house is really worth.

Vashta.Nerada on August 31, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Heavy drinkers who managed to reach the ripe old age of 60 are probably made of sterner stuff. The weaker ones died off early and don’t show up in the statistics.

year_of_the_dingo on August 31, 2010 at 2:09 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Am I going to have to hold your hair again? The speech is 15 minutes long, well it’s supposed to be, so if you get “tore up from the floor up” in that amount of time holding your hair back is going to be the least of our problems. :)

milwife88 on August 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM

reaganaut on August 31, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I hear there is a Magnum PI movie set for 2012 as well. Thankfully, Tom Selleck has said he won’t do a cameo.

Given how well the show’s cast played together, Hollywood should have a field day f*cking it up.

Beta males playing dress up. Thank goodness The Expendables got made anyway.

austinnelly on August 31, 2010 at 2:10 PM

upinak on August 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

The whole real estate process is a grind, then you get to move, which is a whole other problem.

It’s a wonderful break from drudgery a glass or two are.

NoDonkey on August 31, 2010 at 2:11 PM