Obama: The people at Beck’s rally are filled with anxiety

posted at 12:23 pm on August 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Seven minutes with The One on Glenn Beck’s rally, the Ground Zero mosque, and the endless conspiracizing about his faith and birthplace. (Wisely, he passed on Carville’s advice on what to say about that last subject.) Something for everyone here. For Birthers, agony when Williams declines to press him on the location of the holy grail, a.k.a. his long-form birth certificate. For mosque supporters/opponents, confusion when he suggests that he supports Park51 being built where it is (since we’d let a church or synagogue be built there), then hedges once again by emphasizing that he’s not endorsing any particular project. And for political junkies, shock when a question about Glenn Beck’s religious rally on the Mall leads him to repeat his single biggest mistake of the 2008 campaign. Here’s the money quote, which comes at the very end of the clip. Isn’t this his infamous bitter/clinger theory of small-town values voters dressed up in slightly more politic language?

I — I do think that it’s important for us to recognize that right now, the country’s going through a very difficult time, as a consequence of years of neglect in a whole range of areas. Our schools not working the way they need to, so we’ve slipped in terms of the number of college graduates, you know?

A financial system that was not, you know, operating in a way that maintained integrity and assured that the people who were investing or who were buying a home or were using a credit card weren’t getting in some way cheated. We had a health care system that was broken and that was bankrupting families and businesses. All those issues are big, tough, difficult issues. And those are just our domestic issues. That’s before we get to policy issues in two wars. And a continuing battle against terrorists who want to do us harm.

So, given all those anxieties — and given the fact that, you know, in none of these situations are you going to be fix things overnight. It’s not surprising that somebody like a Mr. Beck is able to stir up a certain portion of the country. That’s been true throughout our history. What I’m focused on is making sure that the decisions we’re making now are going to be be not good for the nightly news. Not good even necessarily for the next election. But are good for the next generation. And I’m very confident that those decisions are the ones that we’ve made.

He says he didn’t watch the rally so he may be under the impression that it was a three-hour “the socialists are coming!” Obama bash-fest. Not so; Weigel is closer to the mark in describing it as “the world’s largest megachurch.” I don’t know what The One was thinking, but dismissing what ended up being a big revival meeting as a byproduct of economic anxiety is not the way to ingratiate oneself with religious voters. And I’m not sure how to take the bit about America producing fewer college grads than it used to. Is he suggesting that that’s one of the things Beck’s audience is worried about? Or is he suggesting that it’s because they themselves are ill-educated that they follow Beck at all?

Update: I changed the headline to emphasize his comments about the rally instead of the Birther thing, which is actually tangential to the post.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This is the thing – the birther stuff is, on one hand, a distraction. BUT, the fact that Obama doesn’t show the the long form means there is something to hide, probably not for a legal reason but a political one. Obama is hiding a lot of his past – allowing it all to remain hidden is politically a bad move. I understand the arguments against hte birther movement, and I cringe as well, but deeper down a part of me remembers the problems that come when a politician is sneaking around and hiding stuff.

WashingtonsWake on August 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Obama: Do I need to paste my birth certificate to my forehead or something?

It might go a long way in plugging the damn hole.

JohnGalt23 is correct. This cutesy response by ObaMao is just a diversionary tactic to take the questioners away from some hard questions about his failed policy and governance.

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Could Brian Williams asked harder questions? Sure. But the questions that were asked…I think Obama was pitch perfect in that interview. One of the better interviews I’ve seen give in a long while.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

How can one not be ‘pitch-perfect’ when they get to see the questions in advance. NBC= No Barack Criticism

darwin-t on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

There are still birthers?

RightOFLeft on August 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Of course. There are still Truthers after all, and they at least had the 9/11 Commission Report.

Esthier on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Pitch Perfect? Yeah, if you’re speaking to a snotty Far-Left Base. To the average American, he comes off as an arrogant, petulant, dismissive wisea@@.

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

If Obama gets desperate for support toward 2012, something tells me that birth certificate is going to come out. And probably on the front page of the NY Times.

JavelinaBomb on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

If Obama spent a little time reading Krauthammer and Taranto (instead of spending his time basking in the tinglings of Andrew Sullivan and Chris Matthews), he might have gotten the idea that Americans don’t really like it when their president talks about them like they’re not in the room.

Infidoll on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I would have liked to see Williams ask Obie about the “Bush Doctrine”..:)

Dire Straits on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

i *THINK* we can all agree that obama has paid $1M to hide his original because:

-he WAS born in hawaii
-but there is something he finds “embarrassing” listed on the certificate (he was ‘white’, his first name is “muhammad”, his religion is ‘muslim’, etc etc etc…)

otherwise, there is zero political gain to spen a million on this… your supporters still love you and your haters still hate you.

i vote that ‘muhammad’ is his birth name.

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Of course you don’t. It’s easier for you to underestimate the American people.

Extrafishy on August 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM

No I don’t. I think the American people have wisdom. I’m just saying I’m not underestimating my opponent. We need someone who can take him on.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Sure, on your forehead would be great. The school records are of far greater interest to me. Would have to show how school was paid for. Colombia and Harvard. I’m sure he applied under foreign student aid. Who else would have paid for it? I can only imagine the leaks to come from this administration when the wrong person goes under the bus. Think there’s a lot of Obama books now? Just wait until Obamalinsky is impeached,convicted and exiled to his real homeland of Kenya….

adamsmith on August 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Anxious?

Yeah, I’m anxious … but after attending the 8/28 Restoring Honor rally I’m also filled with the confidence that not only will we win overwhelmingly in 2010 and 2012, but that we will restore America.

8/28 was checkmate Obama … you lose.

darwin on August 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Beck = Community organizing on a national scale

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I usually thinks he comes off as arrogant….but not in this interview. Maybe the declining poll numbers are humbling him?

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM

! B I T T E R . C L I N G E R S !

petefrt on August 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Yes. By “hiding” it, he is able to keep the movement going, thus painting all his foes as birthers.

Could you imagine Bush saying, “What do I have to do? Walk around with a sandwich board with the 9/11 Report on one side and a copy of Popular Mechanics on the other?” He wouldn’t. The rare times that Bush whined, it was private and honest, not public and strategic.

calbear on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I was at the rally. I did not detect anxiety. I wasn’t anxious, my family wasn’t anxious, nor were those in my immediate group of twelve people. A more appropriate characterization would be “determined”, Mr. President. Again, like the Cambridge police incident, you characterize a phenomenon that you have not witnessed, nor have any knowledge of.

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

One out-of-touch-fool talking to another out-of-touch-fool.

Mallard T. Drake on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

adamsmith on August 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

or his “law professor” instructor days, where he wrote and published, um, NOTHING. no opinions. no words. no paper trail.

NOTHING.

WHO IS THIS GUY?

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Maybe the declining poll numbers are humbling him?

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM

That’s rich!!!

darwin-t on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Two things I noticed about Obama during this interview:

Every single pundit who says Sarah Palin speaks in vague platitudes and needs to go to “policy school” should watch this interview and see Obama do exactly that, only not nearly as well as she does. While he did do better in this interview as far as keeping the umm’s and ahh’s to a minimum, it’s painfully obvious that he has a really hard time forming a sentence because he has to search for the right words as he goes.

Notice how Obama uses the same terminology to describe the American people who respond to Glenn Beck and the situation in Iraq. “Stirred up”.

Jaynie59 on August 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

HuffPo has up a pathetic but very telling post:” Glenn Beck’s Restoring Honor Rally: The Most Ridiculous Messages (PHOTOS)”

The messages they consider “ridiculous” are patriotic and religious, and most of he lefties are mocking them. They really do hate America.

juliesa on August 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Yes. In fact, he brought up the birther stuff himself in this interview. Williams didn’t ask him about it.

A bigger man would have congratulated Beck for raising so much money for a cause that Mrs Obama is supposedly very involved in. Military families.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

calbear on August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM

is it worth $1,000,000 to do that? to gain 0 “new” voters?

you either love or hate obama now. seeing birthers on msnbc won’t change your mind.

so ask yourself why he paid a million to keep it shut.

i am NOT a birther — i am certain he’s hawaiian — i just want to see what ‘embarrassing’ info on the long form is causing it to be tucked away (was there a religion blank in those days? my money is on his first name of ‘muhammad’)

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Terryann…. That was humble?

sandee on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Anxiety doesn’t purchase plane tickets. Anxiety doesn’t get you out of bed at 0400 and drive to DC. Anxiety doesn’t compel you to stand in the heat with 9 kids around for 4+ hours and walk 5+ miles……no, not anxiety……it’s Patriotism….and a Great Awakening….yeah, that’s the stuff.

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Let me be clear, the facts are the facts; except my facts trump your facts and your facts don’t matter. Remember, my administration saved 11,000,000 jobs…that’s a fact.

TruthMatters on August 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Terryann…. That was humble?

sandee on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

He certainly didn’t come off as arrogant in this interview, imho.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Obama and Napolitano respond, “First wave of National Guard troops arrive at Arizona border.”

35 troops. For the entire border.

Good job Scooter.

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Miss online, that was about as humble as a ten day family vacation, the 6th of the summer, at Martha’s vineyard, gorging on lobster nightly, while average Americans are struggling to pay their bills.
Scooter becoming humble? Riiiight…and Imam Rauf is a Moderate.

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

juliesa on August 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

WOW. send this to Allahpundit.

This is insane.
some of the t-shirts just say “united we stand” or “american patriot” or people saluting the flag.

what a$$es these liberals are…. can’t wait for november.

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

W had one standard response when asked about vicious and deranged lefty protesters: That’s their first amendment right.

I don’t remember him ever saying anything condescending or demeaning about ordinary citizens who protested his policies (or his very existence).

juliesa on August 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

35 troops. For the entire border.

Good job Scooter.

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

heh, when 35 troops are a “wave” and Rumsfeld’s 180,000 aren’t “enough” to do the job…..

indescribable.

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM

my money is on his first name of ‘muhammad’

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

So your guess is that he changed it from that to Barack? I’m not personally persuaded by that.

I’m guessing his reasons are two fold, one because there might be something embarrassing there (not sure what, just not convinced it’s his birth name – Hussein is bad enough), but yes, there is a political advantage to being able to paint your opponents as nuts. I’ve no doubt that people have refrained from identifying with the Tea Party or attending its rallies specifically because of the stigma attached to it.

Esthier on August 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

So our dear reader is saying people are having trouble with his communism? I wonder why.

Has Obama even said the words, freedom and liberty? Or for that matter individual responsibility?

tarpon on August 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Beck was able to stir up MLK’s niece. What you able to stir up, Barry? Reverend Sharpton?

LOL…that’s a Peace Prize!

Christien on August 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

GUN-CLINGERS.

reliapundit on August 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Just for Obama’s record…I am a right wing nut, mob member, tea bagger, blah, blah, blah….AND I hold a college degree. Granted, from a lowly state school which I am sure he would sneer down on but I actually WORKED and PAYED my way through college without special quotas to allow me entrance….but I digress….

Regarding the condescending tone of Obama’s interview and view of the people…where the heck do I start?

Bikerchick on August 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM

i dont think he “changed” it; i think, like 300 million muslims around the world or whatever, ‘muhammad’ is maybe a silent first name.

Esthier on August 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

no, there’s not.

who would be dissuaded to be anti-obama if not for birthers?

who? what kind of voter could be described as that?

0% of america is on the fence; you either hate obama or worship him (or if you’re kos you are anoyyed he’s not left eenough). birthers could hang from the ewashington monument with banners and no one’s mind will be changed. none.

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Exactly, and then he could’ve said isn’t it wonderful that we in the US can peaceably assemble and speak freely. The first amendment is great.

juliesa on August 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM

There was a revealing moment in early August when Obama told an audience at a Texas fundraiser: “We have spent the last 20 months governing. They spent the last 20 months politicking.”

… all of this reminds me of an old Jay Leno joke (from back before he was the Tonight Show host). Leno refers to an TV commercial with an actor who plays a doctor in a soap opera …

I’m not a doctor, but I do play a doctor on television

… Leno replies …

Buddy .. you ain’t no actor either

If Obama thinks he has been governing for the last 20 months, I’ve got news for him.

J_Crater on August 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Difference of opinion, I guess.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM

They are filled with anxiety because they haven’t been on 6 vacations.

faraway on August 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Here’s something the birthers, non-birthers, and don’t knows need to deal with:

It no longer matters where or when he was born. He was elected to the Presidency. No amount of arguing over a birth certificate will change that. Does anyone think he’ll just walk out of the WH if a “real” BC is discovered? No, he won’t. So let it go.

Begin to deal with the current situation. Use your energy or disgust or whatever word turns you on to ensure that he is rendered powerless in November.

Let’s change his title from “the one we’ve been waiting for” to “the guy who lives in the White House”.

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Scooter is in the Rose Garden, speaking on the economy. Emergency Propaganda! He’s starting out by blaming evewrything on Boooosh!

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’m not afraid of the “dreaded” birther tag.

It’s a legitimate question with no conclusive evidence offered to case-close the subject.

I think comparisons of 9/11 truthers are stupid and ridiculous. It seems that there are so many neutered Conservatives these days. No wonder why we can’t have a slam-dunk win even with a bottom-of-the-barrel Marxist President.

So far, in the advent of ZerObama, the great American hope is Mitt Romney. What a joke.

Gob on August 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM

When he goes on Fox News Sunday and tries to change the subject on Chris Wallace, I’ll be willing to say that Obama did a good interview (if he did). Otherwise, no.

ladyingray on August 30, 2010 at 1:18 PM

As much as the cable news shows like to pretend so, this simply isn’t the truth. You’re presenting a world where nothing could change a voter’s mind. But there are plenty of voters who, through explicit or subtle means, are willing to have their minds and actions changed. If there weren’t, campaigns could save a fortune and just let the chips fall where they may.

Also — Obama doesn’t need to change the minds of MSNBC watchers; he needs to make sure they stay the same. And painting people with different opinions as nuts helps a lot there.

calbear on August 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM

It’s not surprising that somebody like a Mr. Beck Sharpton is able to stir up a certain portion of the country albeit a quite minute one of grievance mongers and administration enablers. That’s been true throughout our history but it has been on overdrive since I became POTUS.

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

35 troops. For the entire border.

Good job Scooter.

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Reports from Mexico indicate drug lords are running south in abject fear, abandoning their holdings and property to evade the onslaught of the Obama Border Securty Plan.

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Watched it and could not BELIEVE he blithely dismissed 500,000 plus people peacefully gathered on the Mall out of hand like that.

Just thought, “Holy sh*t.” Looked at major dad to make sure I’d heard it right. His “whoa” told me I had.

Stupid of him. I’m shocked.

tree hugging sister on August 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Update: Now, he’s blaming Republicans for the economy.

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM

As long as there is a appreciable percentage of ignorance in the American electorate, liars and deceivers will always have a chance to get elected no matter what may be the truth. Obama sees anxiety in the demonstrators because they are weak and uninformed. The anxiety is definitely there, but for reasons he cannot comprehend. The anxiety is caused by a president and his administration who is ruling against the wishes of the American people. Obama is a accomplished doublespeaker. He will always present the truth that supports his side, when in reality it is the exact opposite. The evil of Obama’s brilliance should not be underestimated. He is going to transform America to fit his perception of what it should be, and in his mind, he is winning.

volsense on August 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Øbama should take lessons in public speaking from SP. Maybe she could teach him even how to speak without a teleprompter.

Last time I heard him speak, every sentence sounded like every other one, and he was clipping his words at the end so badly it was hard to hear some of them. His sing-song delivery sounded like a peevish Cicada on a hot summer afternoon. waAAAah…waAAAah… waAAAah…waAAAah…

petefrt on August 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM

between a quarter and a half-million people show up to PEACEFULLY celebrate America and her service men and women, to celebrate our diverse heritage and our shared values – and the imbecilic Democrats and the Retard-in-Chief can’t find anything positive to day? The Media-for-Morons can’t report it fairly or accurately – if they report it at all? There are very few gatherings of that size that have ever happened in this country, this was an historic event – regardless how anyone feels about it. The fact that afterwards, boyscouts scoured the grounds and the National Mall was left in great shape, and there were few-if any- acts of violence is utterly dumbfounding bordering on miraculous. I am beyond disgusted by the democrats and this fool-king president. They are classless swine and I will not shed a tear when their party is drubbed into near non-existence.

WashingtonsWake on August 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM

It’s not the Long Form Birth Certifiacte itself that makes me wonder (I assume it has some embarrassing info like religion or father’s name on it, why else spend a million dollars keeping it hidden?), its that EVERY public document is unavailable. For the most transparent preidency every it’s a bit much that nothing is viewable by the public. No college records, no state records, no local reocrds, just nothing. And the MSM is just fine with that.

Fred 2 on August 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’m filled with anxiety over ObaMao’s loss of the crease in his pants when he encountered the humidity of NO.

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

agree!
those are great pics, libs need to wake up

cmsinaz on August 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Recent Pew research:
1/5 polled believe Obama is Muslim
1/3 describe him as Christian
1/2 unsure

This is from an article by Madeline Brooks, Canada Free Press:

“I called the Trinity United Church back in February, 2010 to ask about the requirements of membership. The church receptionist transferred my call to the Director of Membership, who told me that baptism is optional and that Muslims who believe in the prophet Mohammed can be full members. In fact, she reassured me cheerfully, they have plenty of Muslim members.”

Maybe WE should all tape question marks on our heads?

vicarious on August 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I think Obama was pitch perfect in that interview

Pitch-perfect was his 2004 convention speech.
The “no red state, no blue state” stuff. That guy could have found some praise for the people at the Beck rally. If only for the charity.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Pitch-perfect was his 2004 convention speech.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I guess I was comparing this interview to recent interviews….which have been mostly awful.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The birther thing is Obama’s strawman. He’s answering the question that nobody is asking to deflect from the one that is being asked. Total BS artist.

SilentWatcher on August 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Jaynie59 on August 30, 2010 at 1:05 PM

When you’re lying and misrepresenting your true objectives, answering live questions is a b*itch. So hard to keep the lies straight.

So when did he last have a press conference?

oh yeah, and this:

we’re all wee-weed up, Barry.

disa on August 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I mistakenly believed he was the President of the Red states also.

faraway on August 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I give up, what’s happening.?

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

More public denigrating from this terrible president of those who have found his “leadership” to be a failure and his policies to be tragically damaging to the country.

He again shows that he is interested in being president of SOME of the people of the country. Not all of them.

The rest of the people, he’ll disdain with his petty little smears. “Anxieties”, huh? OK then, pal. We’ve got your measure as a man, yet again.

He is absolutely unwilling to hear anything conservatives say, much less act to help us with initiatives from the other side of the aisle without qualification, evasion or self-glorification. His ideology is extreme, rigid, and without quarter or good will.

Edouard on August 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

If Brian Williams seems a little distracted, it’s those crisp creases that are driving him crazy….Heh

d1carter on August 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Brian Williams wrestles with how to handle this interview.

mrt721 on August 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM

when did you start calling it PRK51 ap? sad. it is the Ground Zero Mosque.

ginaswo on August 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM

a real genius with all the ‘you know’s he mumbles sans TOTUS.

ginaswo on August 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Well, there was a time I liked him quite well– because I believed he meant the red state/blue state stuff. That’s gone forever. I have a hard time listening to him anymore.
Still, I assume he’ll win reelection in 2012. It will be hard for anyone to run against him, if only because the press won’t elevate critical opposition of him the way Obama’s criticism of Bush was elevated.

Anything else will be a nice surprise.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Slipping in college grads? What about jobs? It’s difficult to put out the time and money for college if there isn’t a job waiting for you after graduation.

I am still in shock at the lack of follow up questions by Brian Williams. Isn’t he supposed to be a journalist?

Fallon on August 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

You are probably right.

terryannonline on August 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

It’s not surprising that somebody like a Mr. Beck Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, or Jeremiah Wright is able to stir up a certain portion of the country. That’s been true throughout our history.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM

“How can one not be ‘pitch-perfect’ when they get to see the questions in advance”

…Or get do-overs. Was this portending to be a live interview, or taped and edited?

vicarious on August 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Obama practically ran for President based on a speech he made at an anti-Bush anti-Iraq rally. He must know not to poo-poo such things.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

WashingtonsWake on August 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Very well said.

I agree the whole BC thing IS a distraction, but I still look at it as a small part of the evidence against him as a whole. Even the GZM is somewhat of a distraction in comparison to other things more dangerous to our country. These are bricks in the pyramid.

At the end of the day ZerObama is a fraud. When he addresses the camera (especially in his Saturday radio proclaimations) he’s just an empty suit trying to sound ernest (in his speaking style) but those who have been following anything but the hallogram (sp) KNOWS that he is a profligate liar and certain things he says are lies.

I always remember just after his election Charlie Rose and Tom Brokaw (was it Meacham too?) saying they really did not know the man. What he read, what he believed in. They were ardent supporters of the fool (just like the JournaLists) and yet, here they were honest. There is so much not disclosed about this Marxist clown. I understand the deflection distraction (and that is a very important point) but these are just small things that add up to a massive, collective horror. Still, many Americans are very ignorant of what this Marxist is all about.

Gob on August 30, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Dismissing the significance of those who attended the rally while making the previous administration responsible for their angst…brilliant, Mr. President. Too bad once again you have no clue what you’re talking about.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I’d call this a boot licking interview.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Gee, it must have really sucked to be us, before the One came along. Who knew things in the country were so rotten. Maybe we need to rethink this whole progressive agenda. Nah. He’s still an arrogant lying pos.

Kissmygrits on August 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM

What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other arm-chair, weekend warriors in this Administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income — to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression.

—Illinois State Senator Barack Obama in 2002, stirring up a certain portion of the country.

MayBee on August 30, 2010 at 1:45 PM

What is worse than anger or anxiety in these terrible times is the cool certainty that Fearless Leader exhibits. Questioning leads one to better solutions.

Obama doesn’t care if he’s wrong or right, he alone knows what’s best for America for all future generations!

PattyJ on August 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM

A financial system that was not, you know

So, given all those anxieties — and given the fact that, you know

He speaks like a goofy teenager, not like a man who’s supposed to be the leader of the world.

Schadenfreude on August 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM

He was born in Honolulu.
He hides his original birth certificate.
He hides his passport – I know he released parts of it.
He hides his grades, but not for grades’ sake, but for topics’ sake.
No one knows for sure, perhaps not even he, who his biological father is.
He’s not a Muslim, nor a Christian. He’s a Utopian idealist, perhaps an agnost. No one should care what his religion, or lack thereof is. His ideology is the problem.

One day some people will make lots of money exposing this charlatan, and they will. Their ideology is what keeps them from doing so and money, now and then. They get paid now to shut up and will get paid later to write/speak.

Truth wants to be free and it will be.

If the U.S. American people get fooled for a second time by this goof, they fully deserve destruction.

Schadenfreude on August 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Lost little man who does not understand character and honor, he only understands lying to get his way. That’s all it’s about.

tarpon on August 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM

“What I’m focused on is making sure that the decisions we’re making now are going to be be not good for the nightly news. Not good even necessarily for the next election. But are good for the next generation. Ha! I’d love to see their faces when they see the bill!”

––The øne

cartooner on August 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Infidoll on August 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Like all radical liberals, Obama lives in a bubble. And that bubble becomes airtight when they’re surrounded by media. They’re completely insulated from the real world: All they see is an endless series of mirrors telling them they’re all that matters in the world.

The goal of Communists is to make productive citizens feel like WE are all a bunch of powerless, freakish loaners.

That’s the real point of rallys such as the one this weekend: An American solidarnosc.

logis on August 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM

So, given all those anxieties

Not THOSE anxieties. How about THESE anxieties?

People keep losing their jobs AFTER the stimulus plan passed Congress.

Medicare funding being cut to fund a health-care program that 55%+ of the population want repealed.

Trillion-dollar deficits we never had before.

A President who tells the enemy when we’ll withdraw from Afghanistan.

A new EPA rule to control carbon dioxide when nobody knows how much it will cost.

A Federal Government that abandons its responsibility (to protect the border, help clean up the oil spill) then blocks the States from trying to do it themselves.

A President who kowtows to our enemies and disses our allies.

What will you do about THOSE anxieties, Mr. President? Shoot another round of golf?

Steve Z on August 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

It’s not silent if it’s on your birth certificate. Again, if he was embarrassed enough to drop that from his name, you’d think he’d also have dropped his middle name.

no, there’s not.

Yes, it is.

who would be dissuaded to be anti-obama if not for birthers?

who? what kind of voter could be described as that?

The kind who care what their friends think of them. They might still vote against Obama, but they’ll stay in the closet about it rather than deal with people who think they’re racist or nuts.

You know, like all the people in Hollywood who’ve met secretly so that no one will know they secretly hate Big Government? It’s not as though I’m talking of something that has never happened before.

picklesgap on August 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Considering that less than half the population even votes, I’d bet you easily that there are plenty of people who care very little one way or the other about Obama. They know little about him and don’t care to know much about him. They’d rather tell you about their favorite candidate on American Idol.

Esthier on August 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

WashingtonsWake on August 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Exactly. He wants the birther stuff out there so he can paint his opponents as kooks, hence the non-release of the long form. Ditto with the other stuff he’s hiding.

The problem is, it only works when the electorate is giving you the benefit of the doubt, but that ship has definitely sailed.

thirteen28 on August 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Kingjester, couldn’t have summed it up better myself, though you could have added a few more descriptors….though maybe not….

chai on August 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Schadenfreude on August 30, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I also believe (at least on the LEFT than on the Right) they are cowed by his being half-black. It certainly neutered the Clintons…I was shocked to read that in ‘Game Change”. Just because I thought no one cowed them.

His affinity for Islam has a lot to do with how he is (non) governing now. Bowing. GZM. The USS Cole. Open borders. Too strong to be dismissed.

Gob on August 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Besides, if Obama thinks we are anxious, he might start reading some newspapers and listening to what real Americans are saying, not his Journolister friends…

chai on August 30, 2010 at 1:57 PM

I’m not afraid of the “dreaded” birther tag.

Good – be not-afraid of it by yourself off to the side while everyone else focuses on relevant, real-world problems like getting this fool and his band of thieves out of office before he destroys the US economy for good.

Most birthers can’t see how they’re similar to 9-11 Truthers.

Truthers claim there is just as much uncertainty, conspiratorial cover-up, disputed evidence and sinister intent as the Birthers do.

It’s an apt comparison – Bush haters gravitate towards one stupid theory, and Obama haters drift towards another. Both are incredibly stupid, counter-productive and a waste of good brain cells for those engaged in the theories and in dispelling them.

If you’re proud of that, by all means.

Good Lt on August 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM

When the entire nation is filled with anxiety, of course those who attended this convocation will also be filled with anxiety.

What’s sad is that Mr. Obama has brokered precisely the things he mentioned — where that word means exactly what the first five letters makes you think it means and the sixth adds the comparative against how Bush gave the country to him.

unclesmrgol on August 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM

His real father, Joe Izusu, is keeping it in a lock box for him.

Tav on August 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM

A rather prosaic observation from someone who stirred up a certain portion of the country in 2008.

Come to think of it, he’s stirring up a certain portion of the country right now. Just not the people he wants stirred up.

cheeflo on August 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM

But are good for the next generation

Ah yes, like your decision to bury the next generation under trillions of dollars in debts they’ll never be able to repay?

Unlike those uneducated bitter clingers on the Mall this weekend, I’m sure the next generation will appreciate the wisdom and brilliance of that decision, Barry.

AZCoyote on August 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Did Williams again bow to Obama, or did Obama bow to Williams?

RJL on August 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM