Matthews: I sure do hope Democrats win lots of races in November

posted at 10:12 am on August 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

And so we come to the final act of HopeandChange, wherein Democrats can do little but hope that voters won’t punish them at the polls in the midterms for overspending and ignoring the damage they did to the economy over the last two years — and guess who wants to lead the Wish Upon a Star Strategy?  None other than our friend Chris Matthews on MSNBC, giving us a demonstration of the network’s journalistic detachment from partisan politics in this clip noted by The Corner’s Thomas Shakely.  That’s not really the news here; despite the complaints of bias about Fox News, everyone knows that MSNBC’s prime-time lineup is dedicated to Democratic Party spin.  What’s amusing in this instance is the forlorn hope that Matthews creates in order to complete his little syllogism (emphasis mine):

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Let’s take a look at this. Suppose the Democrats win in Pennsylvania – with Sestak. And I hope they do. Suppose they win in Ohio, Missouri, New Hampshire. Will that suggest to you, it seems to me from your work here, that that could be a surprisingly pretty good year for the Democrats, given all that’s happened?

Yes, I suppose if Democrats win lots of races, it will be a good year for them, but that’s a mighty big if. Sestak trails by almost double digits in Pennsylvania, and Barack Obama’s approval rating is upside down in the state he won handily two years ago. Republicans lead in Ohio and Missouri, and will probably be favored in New Hampshire once the field is settled, since Democrats will be running current Congressman Paul Hodes — and Congressional incumbents are hardly the most popular people in the country at the moment.

Will Matthews concede that losing those four states will be a referendum on “all that has happened” over the last two (or four) years of Democratic control, too?

Comments

Always great to hear unbiased political analysis from Tip O’Neill’s catamite.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Well at least Matthews is on the more straightforward road of Wishcasting. Other talking heads (see Miller’s “embarrassing defeat” in Alaska) are just reporting the “news” as they wish it would happen.

Lehosh on August 30, 2010 at 10:15 AM

The guaranteed spin in November, if the Dems lose big is this:

5,000 positions were up for grabs tonight, Dems won about 2400 of those. It shows how strong the party is, even in a bad year.

lorien1973 on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

OT and I hate to do this, but Drudge has some photos on the header which perfectly encapsulate what sort of man is sitting in the White House.

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

64 days…Chris, and you will have your answer…

right2bright on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The tingle has turned to a tremble.

shick on August 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM

That loser Hodes is running Name That Party ads pretending to be “independent” and “conservative”.

livefreerdie on August 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Is supporting Dems tribal?

mjbrooks3 on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

There was more shocking news over the weekend. Scientists discovered that bears have been going to the bathroom in the woods.

perroviejo on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Just logged in for a second at work to go off topic a bit:

Have you seen the main pic of Drudge?
Putin with a hunting rifle and Urkel on a bike?!
Oh, if Drudge had the pic of Palin in the boat with a bear on the shore he would get an A plus plus.

Marcus on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

On election night they’ll be something tingling down Matthew’s leg and it might ruin his nice pants.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

“And I hope they do”? Nice. Do the MSNBC suits ever ponder why their business model continues to provide dismal results?

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:20 AM

This man is a national disgrace, as even Democrats are embarrassed by this loser. When a Democrat is embarrassed, you know something or somebody really smells badly, as it takes something truly disgraceful to get a Democrat to admit low-life status occurred with one of their own.

Keemo on August 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

This won’t ever happen. Republicans could retake the House and Senate with sizable majorities, and people like Matthews won’t ever publicly define such a victory as a referendum on Obama or liberalism. They’ll just talk about voters, who are “angry” and “ungovernable” having “a tantrum” against “incumbents”, without acknowledging that the incumbents that were sacrificed were Democrats.

Vyce on August 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM

…This from the same guy that told Americans “It is my job to help make Obama’s Presidency a success”.

What a surprise.

Baxter Greene on August 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Chrissy Matthews, Nov 4 2010;

“Tonight, as I’ve said all along, the Republicans are enjoying the largest shift in Congressional party power in the history of the country. And I’m glad to have been a part of it. With me now is Dick Morris, and we’ll be discussing the failure of the Obama administration and how the MSM, myself excluded, conspired to hide the disasterous effect the Administration and Congress have had over the last 2 years. And let me tell ya, it feels good to be back in power.”

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Let’s SUPPOSE that Chrissy suddenly got honest.

Yeah, that’s a stretch. Just like Dims winning big in November. Wonder what lil’ Chrissy’s spin will be then.

GarandFan on August 30, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Just logged in for a second at work to go off topic a bit:

Have you seen the main pic of Drudge?
Putin with a hunting rifle and Urkel on a bike?!

Marcus on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

The pic below it is even more hilarious.

The “smartest guy in the room” can’t even handle an umbrella in public…..

………does TOTUS have to do everything for our Whiner-n-Chief.

Baxter Greene on August 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

He’s not going to enjoy that tinkle going down his leg come November 3.

teke184 on August 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

This is the newscaster all forlorn
That supported the Democrats filled with scorn
That passed the laws
That scared the voters
That came out to vote
That changed the leaders
In the house that the founders built.

WashJeff on August 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Sestak trails by almost double digits in Pennsylvania

IMPOSSIBLE! Ayatollah John Cornyn and the NRSC told us months ago that Arlen Specter was the only Republican that could get elected to that seat!!

HondaV65 on August 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

“Wouldn’t you say that, if the Democrats keep 5,6, or even 7 seats in the House, total, that would be a victory, given the current circumstances?”

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Chrissy will swallow anything the Dems tell him to.

docflash on August 30, 2010 at 10:33 AM

2006 and 2008 would’ve been pretty good years for Republicans if they had won the elections they lost.

Insight.

Tres Angelas on August 30, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Anyone else notice that looks like a girls bike? He even accessorized with a matching helmet. Dork.

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

how’s that hopeychangy working for you Chris?

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

perroviejo on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

+1000.

GrannyDee on August 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

You know I didn’t even notice that Matthews took the Hatefilled Left’s side on this… That’s how used to his and ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC and MSNBC’s, bias I am…

I’m still very worried about voter fraud, I don’t put anything past the Left and they need to hd onto power… They haven’t completely destroyed the U S yet

CCRWM on August 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Yep, compare and contrast.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Chris has turned to self motivated tingling.

rich801 on August 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Is it safe to say that Chrissy can no longer “get it up” for the democratic party? That in itself should speak volumes.

milwife88 on August 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

He is missing the basket on the front. Oh man.

tommer74 on August 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I’m reminded of a song from the 60s by the Everly Brothers called, “You’ve Lost that Tingly Feeling.”

Or something nlike that.

UltimateBob on August 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

CCRWM on August 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM

The Dems may well win a few close races. The Secretary of State project was pretty successful and so a lot of the counting will be under Dem control.

That’s why we have to GOTV so it isn’t close. Luckily for us, our side is raring to go like never before in our lifetimes.

Missy on August 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Is supporting Dems tribal?

mjbrooks3 on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Treasonous maybe.

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM

tommer74 on August 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM

And the playing card in the spokes and pretty tassels hanging from the handlebars.

milwife88 on August 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Of course not. It will simply be taken as proof of the Marxist notion of “false consciousness” – i.e., that “the masses” are too stupid to know what’s good for them; therefore, doubling-down on efforts at manipulation and control are in order. The following never ceases to amaze me:

If Dems win an election, it’s proof of both how smart the average voter really is, as well as their rejection of Republican racism and hatred. If Republicans win an election, it’s proof of how stupid the average voter really is…for falling for Republican racism and hatred.

rvastar on August 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Imagine how our enemies are laughing at that photo. The guy (and i use that term loosely) is a girlie-boy.

jbh45 on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Yep, compare and contrast.

carbon_footprint on August 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM

This photo will be used in English as a Second Language classes to pictorially show the differece between “male” and “man”.

Ding-a-ling ding-a-ling “On your left!”

BobMbx on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

At least he was not in a tank with a helmet…hahahaha

PatriotRider on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

He’s only fooling himself if he thinks he’s a actual journalist.

Yakko77 on August 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

At Obama’s next birthday imagine this scenario at his party:

The lights dim and a spotlight falls on Chris Mathews in a sequined gown. Mathews slowly gyrates across the stage, and in a breathless voice moans: “Happy birthday…Mr. President…”

[with full apologies to Marilyn Monroe]

Justrand on August 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

it’s worse then that Obama appears to be riding a girl’s bike.

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

it’s worse then that Obama appears to be riding a girl’s bike.

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

and doing all thaty wearing mom’s jeans….

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

The look of disbelief on the faces of the two guest pundits while Mathews is spinning this fantastical yarn is priceless!

PattyJ on August 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM

That Obama/Putin drudge headline has got to be one of the best side by side photos ever…!!!!!

PatriotRider on August 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM

..tingle..tingle..little star..

The War Planner on August 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Of course not. Somehow, some way they’ll spin it as Republicans, and Bush, and voter fraud, lies, and corruption.

Today on the radio, it was reported that the Huffpo has reported that it was a right wing job, when a building with voting machines went ablaze last week, in Houston. So they’ll spin anything, into anything they wish, or please.

capejasmine on August 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

SOURCES: While president was in Martha’s Vineyard, workers at White House have been busy installing new carpets, drapes, painting, etc. in Oval Office… Developing…

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I couldn’t help but notice that the MSNBC screencap that accompanies this post is overwhelmingly white.

saint kansas on August 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I got a pretty blue girls bike like that for Christmas, 1960.

Wethal on August 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Sorry Crissy,

A new conservative 527 group called 40 Seats has debuted. Forty Seats aims to match concerned citizens with competitive Congressional races near them, to facilitate volunteerism. The goal is to maximize our potential to take 40 seats in the House and regain a majority.

Jayrae on August 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Chris Tingle

faraway on August 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Support Toomey in PA if you are able. The DNC spent plenty of last-minute funding to finagle Sestak into his current position in the House. I have no doubt that it will do the same to thrust Sestak into the Senate unless there is a real push and support for Toomey from conservatives.

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Embarrassing for him and us. Why not wear a pair of spandex biker shorts and shave his legs too?

I think I’ll go out and eat a sandwich while sitting on my Harley, just to get rid myself of the shudders.

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM

PBHO is riding a bike with a bell on it. I think I’m going to barf.

Not only does it have a bell, but it’s a girl’s bike.

crazy_legs on August 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Poor Chris, “Ok,ok, but what if I do win the lottery? Wouldn’t that be soooo cool?”

cartooner on August 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM

This is a real knee slapper. Especially the part about how if November isn’t as big a disaster as it looks like it will be now, then it’s a victory for the Dems. LOL

Thanks for posting it Ed.

JimP on August 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I can’t wait for Election Night, just to watch Matthews break down and cry like a little girl when they announce the shift of power in the House and the Senate back to the Republicans.

Of course, it will also be entertaining when this happens to watch Ed Schultz start ripping huge chunks out of the studio walls with his teeth.

pilamaye on August 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Um… it’s not like Hannity is neutral.

Akzed on August 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

This photo of Obama and Michelle is better. They apparently can’t figure out how to get the umbrella past the entry way.

Click on the picture for a larger view. When you look at the photo ask yourself, “Why is Michelle ducking down?” And look at the baffled and puzzled faces on both of them.

albill on August 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Fourth letter of Alphabet
Small sled ridden on back
Opposite of out
Gore’s first name

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

PBHO is riding a bike with a bell on it. I think I’m going to barf.

Not only does it have a bell, but it’s a girl’s bike.

crazy_legs on August 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Compare and Contrast

bloviator on August 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

To be fair, (not to BO, of course, just in general) Putin is clearly just grandstanding. I don’t need to see my middle-aged president out on maneuvers showing off.

Having said that, if BO were any more effete, I swear he would float. He’s approaching Oscar Wilde territory. Good God, but he’s embarrassing.

mikefln on August 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Bishop on August 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Ah yes, a fellow rider. I do need to change my username to loudmouth1200 now.

Can you imagine how unnatural he would look on a hog? He looks bad enough on the pedal bike. A moped would prolly be too manly for President Mom-Jeans.

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Better picture of Obama riding bike

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I can’t wait to see Chrissie weep on election night.

Ward Cleaver on August 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Um… it’s not like Hannity is neutral.

Akzed on August 30, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Um… Hanity doesn’t claim to be a journalist.

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM

At least he was not in a tank with a helmet…hahahaha

PatriotRider on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

At this point, it would be a huge improvement.

Rebar on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Ed, referendums and mandates are only for “progressives”.

ButterflyDragon on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Heh.

Vashta.Nerada on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Matthews creates in order to complete his little syllogism (emphasis mine):

Thanks for the word of the day that I had to look up man.

rollthedice on August 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Can we get him in a bunnysuit next, maybe on a tour of a semiconductor plant?

slickwillie2001 on August 30, 2010 at 11:36 AM

PBHO is riding a bike with a bell on it. I think I’m going to barf.
Not only does it have a bell, but it’s a girl’s bike.

crazy_legs on August 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Compare and Contrast

bloviator on August 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

How very Beaver Cleaver of him. ROFL!!!

capejasmine on August 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM

At Obama’s next birthday imagine this scenario at his party:

[with full apologies to Marilyn Monroe]

Justrand on August 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM

This is the best I can do: LaBarry and Chris

slickwillie2001 on August 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

““It is my job to help make Obama’s Presidency a success”.
Both failed

Bevan on August 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

At least he was not in a tank with a helmet…hahahaha

PatriotRider on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Best photo EVER!!
When his campaign manager (Susan Estrich) saw the image, she knew right then and there that Dukakis had lost the election…

Khun Joe on August 30, 2010 at 11:44 AM

The photo of PBHO on his bike reminds me of this

bofh on August 30, 2010 at 11:45 AM

And if he hadn’t, the Drudge headline would have been this:

PRESIDENT RIDES BIKE WITHOUT HELMET, HORN: SETS BAD EXAMPLE FOR NATION’S YOUTH

YYZ on August 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I watch FOX news all the time and I have never, ever, seen one of their anchorman act in such a brazenly biased manner. This man is a disgrace to the profession.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

And if he hadn’t, the Drudge headline would have been this:

PRESIDENT RIDES BIKE WITHOUT HELMET, HORN: SHOWS UP FOR WORK, SETS BAD EXAMPLE FOR NATION’S YOUTH

YYZ on August 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

There you go :-)

loudmouth883 on August 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

And if he hadn’t, the Drudge headline would have been this:

PRESIDENT RIDES BIKE WITHOUT HELMET, HORN: SETS BAD EXAMPLE FOR NATION’S YOUTH

YYZ on August 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Commenter is offput by sissy bell on bike, YYZ makes public service announcement about helmets and horns.

WTF?

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

CM is such a rude bigmouth. With other choices, why does anyone listen to him anymore?

Paul-Cincy on August 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Sometimes as folk age, they lose control of bladder and bowel

My grandma’s neighbor, an immigrant from Italian, reverted to Italian in her final years, and could not realize the ones around her spoke English

Could be something simlar going on with the named commentator

entagor on August 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Matthews is a slobbering, whiny, childish liberal dipstick. The jackass is nothing but a political parasite and has never accomplished anything of any value.

rplat on August 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

For an assclown who said, “It’s my job to make the President a success” you’re a loser,dude. Your commie in chief is a failure. Unless he is just going the Alinsky route to destroy the middle class like every other socialist takeover. After Obama is impeached and removed from office, Chrissy won’t be able to find work as he is the worst journalist in the world, if you discount Olbergoebbels,Sargeant Schultz,Rachel Mancow,Dylan Ratigan, aw hell, all of MSLSD….

adamsmith on August 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM

No matter what happens this November you can be sure Matthrews will label it a surprisingly, dare I say an unexpectedly, good showing and that Obama will have literally saved or created dozens of Democratic seats. When you pick where the finish line is located you usually do good.

Fred 2 on August 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM

#1, can a catamite be a eunuch?

horatio on August 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Am I mistaken, or is potus riding a girl’s bike. I recall from hazy childhood memories that girls’s bikes did not have the crossbar? parallel to the ground but rather two slanted down in a “v” shape. Or have things changed in the last eon?

horatio on August 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

It’s pretty schadenfreudig to watch this sick puppy.

Schadenfreude on August 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Hey, Jiminy Cricket Chrissie, we should probably clap our hands as much and as loudly as possible to revive Tinkerbelle, too.

ya2daup on August 30, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Always great to hear unbiased political analysis from Tip O’Neill’s catamite.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

MCGIRV on August 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Ed, I noticed you don’t use the same picture of Chris Matthews with stories related to Chris Matthews, however, all the picture you use of Chris Matthews, Chris Matthews appears to be
Three sheets into the wind!
Sloshed.
Hammered
Trashed
FUBAR
Wasted.
Is there a reason for that?

DSchoen on August 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM

and guess who wants to lead the Wish Upon a Star Strategy?

Tingle, tingle Little Star?

chickasaw42 on August 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Regarding Pennsylvania:

I can report this little tidbit from the small artsy community of New Hope, PA, which is located in Bucks County, a bellweather suburban/rural county, with plenty-o-liberals bordering on the most historic stretch of the Delaware River.

We had a pizza over there in one of our favorite little places on Bridge Street. And to my shock, in catching up with our friend (one of the family owners) she told us that there was a small anti-Obama demonstration, with signs and everything, that was held just outside of town this past weekend. I thought she must be kidding, and I actually asked her, “Come on … are you serious?

She absolutely was. And, she is not the type of person to kid around like that. In fact, she said she never would have believed it herself if she hadn’t seen it with her own eyes! Ten or twelve of them demonstrating.

So, all I can add is this — the idea of anyone holding an anti-Obama rally in New Hope, PA would be like holding a “We Love You Forever, Sarah Palin” rally in front of the City of Lights Book Store, in San Francisco!

It is impossible to imagine. And yet . . . it happened.

Democrats are so outta here this fall that it is not even funny!

Oh, wait . . . it IS funny. Downright delightful, in fact!

Trochilus on August 30, 2010 at 10:50 PM