Coburn not ready for a President Gingrich

posted at 9:27 pm on August 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Well, don’t hold back, Senator Coburn.  Tell us what you really think:

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) is pouring cold water on the idea of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich running for president.

“He’s the last person I’d vote for for president of the United States,” Coburn said during a town hall event in Wagoner, Okla., over the weekend, as was reported by the Tulsa World.

In explaining why he wouldn’t support Gingrich, Coburn specifically targeted the ex-speaker’s three marriages as proof that Gingrich “doesn’t know anything about commitment to marriage.”

“His life indicates he does not have a commitment to the character traits necessary to be a great president,” said Coburn, who also noted that Gingrich is a “super-smart man.”

That’s the reason that people assume Gingrich has yet to run for President anyway, because of his controversial divorces.  Maybe that’s true, but it also may have something to do with the fact that Gingrich hasn’t held elective office for almost twelve years.  And while Gingrich has proven adept at political organizing at American Solutions, he has yet to hold an executive office in politics outside of the Speakership.  He hasn’t even run for statewide office in Georgia, let alone a national contest.

Even with all of that said, Gingrich still might make a run for the top job, but he’ll be 69 when he does.  Only Ronald Reagan and William Henry Harrison ran for President at that age and got their party’s nomination.  The age of 69 is younger than it was in Harrison’s time, and even Reagan’s time, relative to the median age of voters, but it’s still going to be a tough sell to run a 69-year-old man against Barack Obama, who will have no trouble at all tying Gingrich to the politics of the past.

I’d guess that Newt will prefer to play kingmaker than king, or more accurately, play professor to the up-and-comers in the GOP to instill conservative values and a backbone when they make their own run for the brass ring.

Comments

I don’t want a Newt Prez…..

hawkman on August 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Wait, people still listen to Gingrich?

I would have thought everyone would have recognized he’s crazy after the Scozzfava incident.

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Mike Huckabee is the last person I would vote for. Newt is like, third to last.

myrenovations on August 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Gingrich is a smart person, but still pretty dumb when it comes to courting Lieberals like Pelosi (caught sitting with her on the love seat) and he can just go Scozzafava himself. Never, ever, support him for Prez.

Dandapani on August 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Mike Huckabee is the last person I would vote for. Newt is like, third to last.

myrenovations on August 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM

They are both on my list as well, but who is the 2nd?

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Hmmm….he’s been reading Esquire again, I suppose….

cynccook on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Neither am I. Scozafava?- never again!!!!

abobo on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

They are both on my list as well, but who is the 2nd?

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

He whom they doth call “Mittens”?

cynccook on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

They are both on my list as well, but who is the 2nd?

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Crist.

abobo on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I do not want Newt to be President but I can think of some others that would be m\the last person I would vote for.

President Obama comes to mind as the last person I would vote for for President.

bluemarlin on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

EDUCATION SEC URGED STAFF: GO TO SHARPTON RALLY

Sebelius: Time for ‘Reeducation’ on ObamaCare…

ninjapirate on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Feh, I’m not EITHER!!!

Gob on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Newt’s other problem is that periodically his mouth runs ahead of his brain and he tosses verbal bombs in front of his own path, creating a major diversion to staying on message. With an election coming up where the Democrats and the big media would be trying to paint whomever the GOP nominee is as the second coming of the Fuhrer, Gingrich’s miscues would be just another obstacle for the party to deal with.

jon1979 on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

The Newt Train has left the station and was sent to a siding long ago.

Newt/Keyes ’12! If, that is, you want to see Osama Obama win in a Johnson-style landslide.

MrScribbler on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I’d vote of Obama last. Then Biden, Kerry, Pelosi, Ried, Franks, Dodd, Waters, Rengel…..

Sorry, Newt’s up on my list a bit.

Hog Wild on August 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM

He clearly lost his mind several years back when he did that stupid ass global warming vid with Pelosi.

And it’s too bad because he used to have a pretty good brain.

trapeze on August 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Crist.

abobo on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Crist doesn’t even count anymore, he’s not a Republican.

I just want someone who focuses on the economy, rather than social issues, and isn’t hokey.

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM

“He’s the last person I’d vote for for president of the United States,”

Good grief, I wouldn’t go that far. Not with so many Democrats around.

ddrintn on August 30, 2010 at 9:35 PM

The pelosi couch killed his chance not the failed marriage.

clement on August 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Newt is no athlete any longer, he needs to resign himself to the fact that he’s an athletic supporter. Put your shoulder to the wheel Newt.

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I wouldn’t vote for Newt. The things he did to his former wives are just bs. Morals matters to me and I don’t think he has the character to serve.

taney71 on August 30, 2010 at 9:37 PM

but he’ll be 69 when he does

I didn’t realize he was getting close to 70. He certainly doesn’t look that old.

lizzie beth on August 30, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I could care less how many times he’s been married…lots of people have been married 3 times and had good reason for ending each one of them. He’s just not a good leader for a time when we need an excellent one. That goes for a lot of the wannabes for the next election. We haven’t come up with someone awesome enough to carry us to a win, IMHO.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I’d rather have a frog or a centipede for President.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM

3 wives? i didn’t know that… dayum, i knew he had a previous bum marriage, but I didn’t know it was a handful of them.

ted c on August 30, 2010 at 9:41 PM

He blinked during the government shutdown showdown, he sat on the bench with Pelosi and endorsed AGW, and he endorsed the RINO in NY-23. He belongs on some presidential commission for his brains, perhaps, but not in a executive position.

paul1149 on August 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Gingrich will never be electable as President. He’s a great advocate and fundraiser, but he is damaged goods. I like what Newt is doing now, and that is where he belongs, or maybe a position in a future Republican administration. I’m still looking for a suitable candidate to lead us out of the wilderness in 2012. I’m not enthusiastic about any of the usual suspects.

simkeith on August 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Think ahead to the mess that Mr. President is going to leave his successor. It’s not going to be pretty. None of the GOP contenders so far are up to the task. Someone strong and forceful has got to come forward in the next couple of years or we’re doomed to another 4 years of the feckless rump in charge right now.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Wait, people still listen to Gingrich?

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Gingrich was also involved in some project with Al Sharpton, back at the time when all the pundits thought Conservativism is dead.

year_of_the_dingo on August 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM

If it’s Obama or Newt, I’d vote for Newt.

The thing is… this is a matter of intensity. I’m voting for whoever the R is in the next election…but I won’t be on fire for just anyone.

If/when Palin announces, I’ll do everything in my power to help her win the nomination and then election. I’ll be on fire for her.

For Newt? I’d go to the poll and pull the lever, just to stop the leftists.

powerpro on August 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM

He could do well in an administration position maybe, I do not think he could actually get the nomination anyway. If he did run, one benefit would be the debates, he is smart and generally quick on his feet and would push all the others to be better as well. So maybe he gets used to help cull some other people out of the race. For President, no, his time has passed for that.

bluemarlin on August 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM

He’s a great advocate and fundraiser

Same with Palin.

scalleywag on August 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM

year_of_the_dingo on August 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Something to do with Education I think it was.

bluemarlin on August 30, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Also… I wish public figures would get the 11th Commandment tattooed in their skulls.

Think before you speak, please.

powerpro on August 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Just go away, Newt. Another failed GOP ex-politician.

Caststeel on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM

My problem with Newt is that he thinks he’s smarter than all of us… and that his job is to provide solutions, not to protect freedoms.

Which makes him pretty like everyone else in Washington.

beatcanvas on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Let’s stop beating around the bush. Everyone with a some political sense knows barring a miracle that turns everything around for Obama, that its going to come down to Romney vs. Palin. If there’s a credible darkhouse, it would be Bobby Jindal and it seems at the moment he’s not running.

milemarker2020 on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Eh, I don’t see super smart. He’s a typical politician with an above average IQ…maybe.

Vince on August 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM

This is coming from a guy who thinks Barack Obama is a “wonderful man”. Not sure I’m ready to trust Coburn’s judgment on these matters.

Buy Danish on August 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Just go away, Newt. Another failed GOP ex-politician.

Caststeel on August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM

amen, +1000 and all that other stuff.

Ampersand on August 30, 2010 at 9:56 PM

“He’s the last person I’d vote for …”

I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Or maybe it’s as in he’s still better than the first person I wouldn’t vote for.

zmdavid on August 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I like Newt.

Don’t think he’s morally up to being president.

That said, vote for him easily over Obama.

tigerinexile on August 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Coburn America World Universe not ready for a President Gingrich.

BDavis on August 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I would have to agree with him. Anyone stupid enough to get married a third time and not realize they are the problem is not someone I want in charge of things effecting me.

Rocks on August 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Chief of Staff for (who knows)?

ThePrez on August 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Coburn was fine with trying to pay away the Ensign scandal. Coburn is a POS wannabe.

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I like Newt Gingrich. Am I the only one?

I don’t care how many times he’s been married. I’m not looking for a husband.

I think he’s absolutely brilliant. Yes, he’s a Washington insider, but this insider is on OUR SIDE! He beat back the DEMS once before and I believe he could do it again. NOOOO, I don’t like the fact that he got cozy with Nan on the loveseat and he needs to apologize for that straight out, but he could turn this country around IMO.

I’m not hanging my hat on anyone at this point nor am I turning up my nose at anyone. I’m going into this with an open mind. How about you?

Oink on August 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I like Newt Gingrich. Am I the only one?

Possibly.

BitterClinger on August 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM

BitterClinger on August 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Not by a long shot. Coburn is a hypocrite. I will take Newt over a lot of other hypocrites.

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Gingrich will be President of the United States the same year I win the Nobel prize for physics.

Tav on August 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM

No Newt!

mjbrooks3 on August 30, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Coburn needs to resign.

Gingrich should… jump off a bridge..

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM

TOM COBURN……Ruling class wannabe?

TOM COBURN……Who helped his “good friend” McCain when McCain was in deep doo before the Florida Primary.

TOM COBURN……A getalong GOPer who has done what for his home state? Name one thing……..you can’t.

I’d care what the real “in your face / Global warming is a joke” Senator from Oklahoma has to say, and that would be JIM INHOFE.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Newt’s personality is not endearing. He gets some new idea in his head and suddenly turns on his friends for not being smart enough to be his friends anymore…and he seeks new friends. Poor Newt has flat run out of friends.

jimw on August 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I’m so very tired of voting for someone because he’s not as bad as the other guy. Surely there’s a non-RINO out there with both morals and Reaganesque appeal. It’s not Gingrich.

BitterClinger on August 30, 2010 at 10:33 PM

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I will give Newt a chance. Agree on Coburn.

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Wanna give me more than one chance to screw you as well? /s

Jus’ sayin’.

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM

BitterClinger on August 30, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Reagan is my only political hero ever.I don’t see any Reagans out there. I will take Newt in a pinch without whining. Who else is there???????????

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Wanna give me more than one chance to screw you as well? /s

Jus’ sayin’.

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Who then??? Who????????????????

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hmmm …

My bet is that Newt ends up on the Palin team. ;)

It’s the only path to redemption. :D

HondaV65 on August 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Newt is the last person I’d vote for in a Republican primary. I’d vote for him in the general if he was nominated in 12 but I’d sure hold my nose when I pulled the lever.

dczombie on August 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM

So this means he will vote for BO over the Newter?

Jdripper on August 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Tav on August 30, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Considering the fact that Nobama won a Nobel Peace Prize after being on the job for only a few weeks, you shouldn’t be overly surprised if your Physics award shows up in the mail sometime soon… :-)

joejm65 on August 30, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Who then??? Who????????????????

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM

You know who–Sarahcuda.
She’s got “the right stuff.”

Jenfidel on August 30, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Who else is there???????????

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I’m kinda hoping there’s a dark horse out there somewhere.

BitterClinger on August 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I’m not Jenfidel, not Palin’s biggest fan. But she’s the one tossing the establisment for a loop and hopefully out. I am a conservative. A strong, non racist, anti leftist conservative who will lay life and limb out for my country. I have hated the political elite since Reagan caved into amnesty, that for me, as a young man showed me that laws did not matter. Power mattered.

I hate the Repubs as much as the Dems. Anyone who is hated by the Repubs and Dems as much as she is, is definatley my front runner.

I would rather see this country purged, like it was twice before in the AR, and the CW and come out better than continue along this path the Repubs and Dems are leading it.

Gingrich, when you look at what he has accomplished has done nothing but kick the can further down the road. It is way past time for a full house cleaning, and until you repubs get the guts to go through with it, then this is the crap we can continue to have until we, as America, are nothing but ashes in the pile of sh!t that is the greaTER human history.

Try to achieve real fundamental change for the right using the tactics of the left. It’s the only way it will work.

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

That ship (Newt for pres) has sailed. But the last person i’d vote for is the current occupant of the oval office.
I’d sooner pull the lever next to a box labeled “Random person from phone book” before i’d vote for Odumbo.

exceller on August 30, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Nov. 2012
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said that he will be voting to re-elect President Obama, instead of his party’s nominee, Newt Gingrich, he is quoted as saying; “He’s the last person I’d vote for for president of the United States,”

Another idiotic thing that the “Elite” Republicans and the person leading the NRSC are saying.

barnone on August 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Gingrich is not my choice either.

He’s doesn’t get to be kingmaker. To get that title you have to do it. Palin has is the person who has done that in the 2010 midterms.

Newt needs to stick to talk shows.

INC on August 30, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I love to hear him teach on our history and he has some interesting ideas but I don’t think he could be president.

Cindy Munford on August 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Didn’t seem to hurt the current idiot in the White House.

slug on August 30, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Gingrich is undisciplined. He’s hardly a philosophical conservative. And he’s kind of hard to take seriously as a social conservative considering his personal life.

But he’s a smart guy, and I have n doubt he’d get the budget under control and economy rolling again. So I’d vote for him easily if he were the GOP nominee.

therightwinger on August 30, 2010 at 11:31 PM

That coming from a guy who says Nancy Pelosi is a nice lady and ripped FOXNews? Yeah, progressives are a cancer on BOTH parties.

indy8 on August 30, 2010 at 11:36 PM

MadDogF on August 30, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I really like Sarah. I just believe her record does not match the rhetoric. I mean it in a good way. She was pragmatic. I like pragmatic. We need a President of the USA. I am tired of red v blue when the country is burning. We need to agree on what matters and screw the rest. (for now)

Southernblogger on August 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Coburn not ready for a President Gingrich

Well, me neither.

“He’s the last person I’d vote for for president of the United States,”

Last person? I wouldn’t go that far. I’d rather have Gingrich than say… 0bama, or Hillary, or Kerry, or Juan McCain.
The Gingrich of ’94… Yeah, in a heart beat. The Gingrich of 2004, 2008, 2012? Please, God, No.

LegendHasIt on August 30, 2010 at 11:46 PM

He should be RNC chair.

cpaulus on August 30, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Gingrich was the Congressman from my district and I supported him early on. He is not a pleasant person. He is always trying to one up anybody else’s ideas and uses people to advance the Great Gingrich Mirage. You cannot trust him.

jimw on August 31, 2010 at 12:09 AM

As soon as Gingrich came up with the American Solutions site with all the hooplah that he tried to surround it with, I suspected the real purpose was to lay the groundwork for his run for President. I think I was right back then. I would only vote for Gingrich if his opponent was Obama.

Christian Conservative on August 31, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Anyone not named Obama will get my vote. That said, we need more candidates. New candidates.

Scozafava Newt, Scozafava.

koolbrease on August 31, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Newt should make a run for the House.

Speakup on August 31, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Newt for President!

Skullf15 on August 31, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Reagan was married how many times?

I guess he wouldn’t make a great President in Coburn’s eyes since he was divorced and remarried.

OxyCon on August 31, 2010 at 1:50 AM

I wouldn’t vote for Newt either. He’s the old guard and helped usher in this new model Big Government Conservatism a la GWB. Pass.

Reagan was married how many times?

OxyCon on August 31, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Yeah I agree the ‘he has had a divorce’ thing is a losing argument and one the GOP should stay away from. I mean unless there are some Mel Gibson type of tapes to go along with any of the divorces then it’s a non-issue for most of America. Over 50% of marriages end in divorce these days and who knows how many others contemplate it every day. That’s not to say it’s entirely ‘moral’ but most people aren’t going to care and using it will only hand the left a perfect distraction like the ‘oh they are trying to get in your bedroom!’ during the Clinton trial taking attention from the actual issue: perjury.

MannyT-vA on August 31, 2010 at 3:58 AM

I don’t know if Gingrich would be the best person for the job, but I don’t think this would be the best reason to say no to him. I mean come on, Reagan was divorced and Nixon was not…which one of them got into the worse trouble?

Terrye on August 31, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Crist.

abobo on August 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Man, the guy isn’t even in contention for campaign gopher for the worst pick in the lot.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Terrye on August 31, 2010 at 6:11 AM

I agree with you but the media wouldn’t. Newts marriages would be front and center and the media meme for any protracted campaign.

I’ll stick with my “he panders to liberals too much to vote for him” reasoning.

hawkdriver on August 31, 2010 at 6:33 AM

Newt has no chance of being elected President and he knows it. He couldn’t be elected if he had a model family and married his high school sweetheart.

Newt postures about these things to keep his name in the news.

patrick neid on August 31, 2010 at 7:32 AM

I like Newt. I think he probably has one of the biggest brains in the sewer known as Washington. I think he’s smart enough to know he can’t possibly run as a Social Conservative and been married three times. The left always smears him with, “He left his second wife for his third wife while wife #2 was in the hospital with cancer.” I don’t know if that’s true or not, never really cared to look into it.

The only candidate that can lose to Obama is a Social Conservative. Americans want/need a fiscal conservative, and someone who is not either a Muslim or a Dhimmi on foreign issues/war. As far as the religion thing, Beck just used that up and that was a benign showing. Even people on the left will vote in a fiscal/national security conservative. Bring out the social conservatives and there’s a chance at another four years of Obamalinsky. The country will not be a country anymore if that happens.

adamsmith on August 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I would only pull the lever for Gingrich as a last resort. And that’s going to be his problem in the end. He can’t generate any excitement. Sure, he’s a smart guy… when he’s on his game. But when he isn’t, his blunders are costly.

Coburn’s right. When you’re married three times and have a history of making poor choices in your most intimate relationships, it says something about your overall judgment. And that lack of judgment translates from the personal to the public, just as we saw in his recent support of Dede Scozzafava in NY-23.

Murf76 on August 31, 2010 at 8:28 AM

The only candidate that can lose to Obama is a Social Conservative.
adamsmith on August 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM

1000% correct!! A social conservative agenda will take us off message and there would be no greater gift to the DEMS/LEFT than for the GOP to take its eyes off the economy.

Oink on August 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I echo Sen. Coburn’s statement. Newt Gingrich exemplifies the idea of a “career politician”. As Coburn says Gingrich is a “super-smart guy”… i’d rather have him working at a think tank for republicans than as a politician.

therambler on August 31, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Newt’s not last on my list either. I am not forgetting his daliances with the lefties (esp Al Sharpton) & GOP establishment either. I have Huckabee, Romney and of course ‘Ole Cranky McCain (who I think is egotistical and dumb enough to give it another go) below Newt.

JimP on August 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

They are both on my list as well, but who is the 2nd?

doodleduh on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

He whom they doth call “Mittens”?

cynccook on August 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

ah, hahahaha
Would have to go with senor Romneycare myself. Jeb Bush a close second.

james23 on August 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

james23 on August 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Thanks for the reminder James. I too should have put Jeb Bush below Newt. No more Bushes please, even though I like them personally, I strongly disagree with moast of their governing philosophy.

JimP on August 31, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Newt Gingrich wears a ten gallon a$$hat!

Nuff said!

P. Monk on August 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Let’s have a Republican primary in 2012 without any former primary candidates.

slickwillie2001 on August 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Newter’s couch-sit with Pelozer on global warming makes me question his judgement more than 2 ex-wives and potential future one!

chickasaw42 on August 31, 2010 at 5:31 PM