Bill Press: Talking about God not appropriate for “sacred” spot

posted at 3:45 pm on August 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Greg Hengler captures the moment in which “incoherence” is defined, during CNN’s “Reliable Sources” yesterday. Howard Kurtz notes that libtalker Bill Press had spent the last several weeks crusading against Glenn Beck’s Restoring Honor rally, but that Beck kept partisan politics out of the speeches Saturday to focus mainly on religious themes. Press continued his objection, noting that the Lincoln Memorial and its “sacred” location was no place to talk about either God or politics. Er, it’s too “sacred” for God? Maybe Bill should check his thesaurus:

Note that Press manages to assert twice that God isn’t an appropriate topic for sacred ground, a rather novel assertion under any circumstances, but especially so for the Lincoln Memorial.  The Great Emancipator certainly didn’t have any trouble speaking about God and faith during his lifetime; in fact, to the right of the massive statue, one can read Lincoln’s second inaugural address, in which Lincoln repeatedly mentions and invokes the Almighty.  Shall we get the sandblasters to remove the speech from the wall?

Perhaps Press refers to Martin Luther King’s address from the same spot as that which makes the real estate “sacred.”  If so, then Press might have a problem with King, too, who mentioned God and politics in the very speech King gave in 1963.  Its most famous passage explicitly references God in his plea for equality:

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

So what does make Press claim that Beck was committing sacrilege by holding a rally about faith in the American life?  Perhaps the fact that Press couldn’t comprehend the subject matter.

Update: The rally was on Saturday, not yesterday.  I’ve corrected it above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is there a bigger blowhard than Bill Press?

moochy on August 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Frankie Rich?

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Bill Press has always irritated me as a smug, know it all. What’s irritating is that as soon as he talks you realize he is just a babbling idiot spewing unimpressive, liberal talking points and never gets called on it.

I wish someone, someday would take it too him and make him realize what a bozo he is!

Vince on August 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Ahhh…. too should be to.

Vince on August 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Let’s try that again…

Is there a bigger blowhard than Bill Press?

moochy on August 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Frankie Rich?

Del Dolemonte on August 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM

So….Bill Press is against the 9/11 Victory Mosque, right?

portlandon on August 30, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Yeah, right!! Not. They’ve got two sets of rules.

MainelyRight on August 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

bill who? neverheardoftheguy

NY Conservative on August 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM

By the way Bill, for the majority of Americans, Sunday is the sabbath.

Tommy_G on August 30, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Good catch!

Vince on August 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Well, I have listened to Beck and when says there is no difference between the parties, that there is no difference between Cheney and Reid…

Terrye on August 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Can you provide a link where Beck said there is no difference between Dick Cheney and Harry Reid? I have heard him complain that there are progressives in both parties, but have also heard him say there are some good and honorable Republicans. I have certainly not heard him say Reid and Cheney are the same.

Kataklysmic on August 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is The War Room!

(From Dr. Strangelove).

GreenBlade on August 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Beck’s not Christian, he is Mormon, which may be a fine religion and have fine individuals practicing the religion, but it is not Christian as understood by Christians.

Monkeytoe on August 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I listened to the whole Restore Honor event. I did not hear the word Mormon once. If he encouraged YOU to turn to your church, temple or mosque, why do you care which one he attends? I am pretty sure I haven’t seen him at my Catholic Church. So I don’t think he has influenced what they Preach. Are you afraid he will run in and replace the books in the pews?

barnone on August 30, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I can’t make myself click the vid.
Did the question “what makes it sacred ground?” come in ??
Would that he’d had his answer on tape.. ah-hah !! LOL
……….

Monkeytoe on August 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM
Pullleeeze give it a rest.
This has been covered in the other ‘Restore Honor’ threads, ad nauseum.

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Because Mr. Lincoln, the former president, and Dr. King, the Christian minister and political activist, were never involved in any type of activity concerning either God or politics, right Bill?

AZCoyote on August 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM

For Progressive to succeed, they need to demonize religion.

Sounds strangely familiar….

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.

–K. Marx

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on August 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

When did Phil Donahue change his name to Bill Press?

Oh right, who cares.

Whatever his name is, he’s a incoherent dope who is not worth listening to, ever.

NoDonkey on August 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Press is a Democrat Scrub

conservador on August 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Just what we need, another BP disaster.

fogw on August 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM

[coffee spit-take]!

Good one — both uncontrollably spewing destructive goo from a vast hole. ;-)

Mary in LA on August 30, 2010 at 5:09 PM

OT: Beck just pointed out that they actually had a bird flyover at the beginning of the rally. He had some tape–a V-shaped formation of fowl. Almost perfectly aligned; it was really cool.

BuckeyeSam on August 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I fear that starting up another God movement is going to alienate lots of conservatives and Republicans.

Narutoboy on August 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM

You mean , besides the 75% of Americans who proclaim their Christianity?

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Kataklysmic on August 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I tried to find that link and this is the closest thing I could find:

Glenn Beck Addresses CPAC 10 – Gateway Pundit
– 1:05pm
Feb 20, 2010 … I appreciate several of the things Beck says but personally I hate …. This week on his program he equated Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi with Dick Cheney. …… When he speaks as though there is no difference between the …
gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/…/glenn-beck-address-at-cpac-10-beats-up-on-gop/ –

My problem is not that that Beck talks about progressives in both parties, but he has been as vicious in his attacks on Bush as any Democrat..and for what? It is one thing to disagree and be critical, it is another to call for impeachment and condemn. I think he wants a third party and that makes me think of Ross Perot. I am afraid he will use the Tea Party to that end.

But what do I know? I remember when Obama came on the scene and so many people thought he was wonderful and a great speaker..and I never saw that. I never trusted the man. The truth is I get the same vibe off of Beck..but the good thing about Beck is that the liberals hate him and so he can not be all bad. I guess.

Terrye on August 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Shows how far afield we have strayed that anyone should feel uncomfortable with speeches that refer to God and religion at a place like the Lincoln Memorial. It’s precisely the place where such speeches should be given, and regularly.

I don’t recall any discomfort among liberals with the Obama Inaugural show that was held there, or the very overt and unseemly efforts made during that time to turn Obama into our new Lincoln. Now THAT was sacrilege in my book!!!

rockmom on August 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I fear gleefully hope that starting up another God movement is going to alienate lots of conservatives and Republicans.

Narutoboy on August 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM

FIFY, concern-boy.

Mary in LA on August 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

You mean , besides the 75% of Americans who proclaim their Christianity?

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM

There are a lot of Christians out there who do not want to see any connection between God and politics or even social movements. A lot of libertarians are like that. What they feel personally about religion is just that, personal… it does not mean they want to see a movement.

Terrye on August 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Press is a nonsensical, godless, whiny, irrational liberal of the Nth degree.

rplat on August 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is The War Room!

(From Dr. Strangelove).

You can’t pray here! This is sacred ground!

(From strange Bill Press)

This is simply more proof that Liberals lack an irony gene, as well as a sense of humor.

landlines on August 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

rockmom on August 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Did you ever see the movie the Princess Bride? I think it as Mandy Pintanken who had the line I don’t think that word means what you think that word means. I don’t think that these people really know what sacred means.

Terrye on August 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Terrye on August 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I wasn’t speaking of a “movement”. Did you watch the Rally? It was about honoring God and our Founding Fathers. Since 75 % of America claim to be Christians, that would necessarily mean that the majority of Republicans just happen to be Christians also, wouldn’t it?

kingsjester on August 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Bill Press is out of his mind. He used to do commentary years ago on KABC-L.A. and debate Bruce Herschensohn(sp?). Bruce routinely cleaned his clock, because Press doesn’t address issues – he talks around them, wondering around somewhere out in left field. I wondered then, as now, why anyone would give this dufus a microphone. He’s clearly not altogether there

av8tr on August 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

If there were ever an intelligence contest between Bill Press and Alvin Greene, I’m not sure who would win.

GT on August 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

A ‘movement’ toward humbling yourself before God is alot different than a ‘movement’ toward injecting God into politics.

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Doesn’t Press know that Rev’rund Al $harpton felt that he should have first dibs on that site?

Have any of the talking heads even mentioned the amount of money donated on behalf of wounded/deceased service members’ families during the “Restore Honor” rally?

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Religion should be the #1 concern in all discussion of politics. The history and culture of our nation is defined by it. The most important class of people is the religous in our Constitution.

Before making a law politicians should ask themselves Am I restricting someones ability to excercise their religion and Does this law disrespect the history and culture that made this the greatest country to ever exist?

PrezHussein on August 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

You misunderstand. It’s okay for brown people to worship the old Gods and dance about, celebrating their primitive rituals. But white people don’t get any special dispensation. White people should have learned by now to wash themselves and brush their teeth and refrain from barbarism.

Immolate on August 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I remember when Bruce Herschensohn and Bill Press would have commentaries on KABC in Los Angeles and as “av8tr” has stated in his post- Bruce would clean Press’s clock.
Bill Press is so far out in left field that he is out of the ball park. He hasn’t meet a Marxist that he didn’t fall in love with. Bruce is now a Senior Fellow at Pepperdine University School of Public Policy. Bruce also ran against Barbara Boxer but Boxer and the democrats made up some story, which I don’t recall, and she won the election. Just a little more of democrat slimeball antics.
Funny how all these leftists and marxists are now working in the State Run Media. Also another example how two words makes them go bonkers. “Honor” and “GOD”. To them Honor and GOD is the enemy. Their savior is “Obama”. Remember they called him the Messiah.

flintstone on August 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

prsss gives new meaning to the term dumbfu#k

DrW on August 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I don’t know why everyone is stressing the Christianity aspect of this rally. Our founding documents and heritage are rooted in Western Judeo-Christian law and tradition. There were rabbis on that stage.

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Press is a complete fool for saying this and many other things. I am not a fan of Beck or Palin but they certainly did not violate anything ‘sacred’ and we live in a free country.

lexhamfox on August 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM

onlineanalyst on August 30, 2010 at 6:12 PM

We likely agree that Press is an ass but we do not live in a country rooted in Judeo-Christian law. The term is itself only pertains to Christian and Muslim values since that is the limit of the overlap. Look at our monuments and laws… they are not explicitly Jewish or Christian. The term itself is 20th Century and has little legal meaning at all.

lexhamfox on August 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Freddy on August 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

The cat has got MSM’s tongue when it comes to talking about Beck’s message. Nary a word about that.

Of all Beck said and did, I’m betting the biggie is organizing the Black Robe Brigade. If he can hold it together and if it grows as I expect, its influence could be huge, truly historic.

Though he downplays strategizing, he’s a master strategist in the Culture War (as are Palin et al.). For most Americans, Judeo-Christian values trump PC and leftist memes almost every time, (largely shielding Western Civilization from Marxism since the days of Marx himself.) Beck knows it, so he advises we return to God as our shield. The Left knows it too (since Frankfurt School times), so they have become obsessed with trying to destroy Glenn Beck.

Though agnostic, I appreciate that the Black Robe Brigade will be fighting for my freedom and my traditional American values. So I look forward to supporting them in every possible way.

petefrt on August 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Liberals… dontcha just love’em? If not for them, there be nothing whatsoever to laugh at. And Press is the worst of the lot. Total knee-jerk. No thought or common sense at all. I heard Chris Plante of WMAL take him to the woodshed once. Press didnt even know he was being decimated.

abcurtis on August 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Bill Press is a shining example of what happens when a member of the ‘Reality Based Community’ find out that the voice they hear is that of Rod Serling… and they just can’t get used to the actual reality once they step out of the Twilight Zone.

ajacksonian on August 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Just another liberal proving that liberalism is a mental disorder. Press is an amateur at doublespeak, but he stumbles through it and ends up looking intellectually bankrupt to anyone with a double digit IQ. He and his swill keep CNN from breaking the Top 30 in their category. The good ole days when Ted Turner could get drunk and blubber like a drunken fool and get away with it. Now he has to watch CNN draw less fans that a Monday night Braves game.

volsense on August 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Bill Press is the President’s “Piss Boy”…so who cares?

joe btfsplk on August 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM

BILL PRESS is saying what the PROGRESSIVES/COMMUNISTS/RINO’s say at their private little parties in Georgetown and on the West Side.

THIS IS THE LEFT.

PappyD61 on August 30, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Bill Press is a dolt!

MCGIRV on August 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Pictionary definition of Sanctimonious Prig
Picture of Bill Press, Obama, Olgby, Tingles, any lib commentator, or just any lib!

chickasaw42 on August 30, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Bill Press talks like a human being only when he is selling his book during the interview. Otherwise he does not belong on TV, on radio or in the print media, period. He is a Jerk, idiot, Morron – one and all. Does he have children, a family??? What does he really do when he is not talking BS? Does he get paid for all these?? Only in USA.
GOD, help us all from MSM “itis” like menningitis!!! You know what I mean.

deeshant48 on August 30, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Aw, c’mon Ed!

Why wasn’t this saved for “Quote Of The Day”?

listens2glenn on August 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM

It is my personal opinion that these left wing pundits should just keep talking and talking and talking. The rhetoric has become so absurd, so assinine, that anyone on the fence must surely be noticing the shallowness and indefensibility of their positions. I watched this program, Bill Press made my day yesterday.

oldoldbabs on August 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

PrezHussein on August 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions

pannw on August 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Shall we get the sandblasters to remove the speech from the wall?

The sad part is that someday somebody probably will.

Theophile on August 31, 2010 at 1:17 AM