Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on August 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Wallace: I got to tell you, the blog traffic right now is a Beck-Palin national ticket in 2012.

Beck: Not a chance. I don’t know what Sarah is doing. I hope to be on vacation. I have no desire to be president of the united states. Zero desire. I don’t think that I would be electable. And there are far too many people that are far smarter than me to be president. I’d like to find one with some honor and integrity. I haven’t seen them yet. They’ll show up.

***
It’s easy of course, for liberals to laugh off Ms. Palin’s “you go, girl!” ethos and increasingly aggressive co-optation of feminist symbols. We progressives discount her references to the women’s movement — not to mention her validity as a candidate — by looking down on her as a dim, opportunistic, mean-girl prom queen, all spunk and no policy muscle.

But the sad truth is that Democrats often prefer their women fulfilling similarly diminutive models for behavior. Consider how Hillary Clinton has been treated, at times, by those in her own party: Democratic leaders never really celebrated Mrs. Clinton’s nation-altering place in history as the first female candidate to get so close to a major party’s presidential nomination. Indeed, she is most appreciated when she plays well with others in the Senate or the State Department; when she behaves like a fierce competitor, she is compared to Glenn Close’s bunny-boiling virago from “Fatal Attraction.”…

[A]s women of a different generation — of, gulp, Sarah Palin’s generation — we wonder if Democrats shouldn’t look to her for twisted inspiration, and recognize that the future of women in politics will be about coming to terms with (and inventing) new models.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I thought the interview with Wallace was really good. Very interesting questions, and Beck was relaxed enough to really answer them, too.

Strange fellow, but likeable.

AnninCA on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Teleprompter addiction is a nauseating thing, however, I’m not clear on why it’s better to use notes than a teleprompter?

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Strange fellow, but likeable.

AnninCA on August 30, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Actually, I think Beck sees more clearly than most of us.

darwin on August 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Or are you talking about a matter of degrees?

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 10:33 AM

CUDA

Metro on August 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Actually, I think Beck sees more clearly than most of us.

darwin on August 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Though I have not been a fan of Beck, I must admit that I agree with you. I think he does see a larger picture than almost anyone else in media.

Jaibones on August 30, 2010 at 11:05 AM

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM

IMO that politicans are using the telepromter as a crutch. Like phoning it it. they do not have to “feel” the words. study the speech, practice the speech….in other words IMO the telepromter places roadbloacks up to politicans from making their speeches their own.

On a physical level it is a barriar between the speaker and the crowd.

From a pure Palin vs Obama theme It highlights the weakness of Obama. Palin has made a decision to try to turn Obama’s weakness into her strength. a sign of a very savy stratigic thinker.

As Scott said in the movie Patton “Rommel, you magnificent bast*rd! I read your book!”

or if you want a non-fictional quote

from the art of war:

To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy’s strategy

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperilled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperilled in every single battle.

Palin knows herself and she knows her enemies. In 2008 election she knew herself but did not know her enemy (both the McCain staff nor Obama) she has since directed herself to finding information about them.

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Teleprompter: read these words, and try to sound as if you actually have heartfelt conviction behind them.
Notes: bullet points in reminder of the deeply convictions held WITHIN THE HEART AND MIND, so none are forgotten.
With notes, one proceeds toexpound on true beliefs, not have to merely reiterate what’s rolling on the TP.
And the problem with notes, is ??

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Notice he didn’t even bring his wife onstage.

Jenfidel on August 30, 2010 at 7:13 AM
Perhaps she did not want to be onstage.

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Glenn is under heavy security even at his home. He would not subject his wife to potential danger. He was wearing a porotective vest himself Saturday.

silvernana on August 30, 2010 at 11:29 AM

And the problem with notes, is ??

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Well the general thinking in Dc is that looking down at notes takes you away from the crowd and breaks your connection with them. i think they are wrong but I’m sure some politcal advisor has some poll somewhere showing how great the telepromter is.

It also in many people’s views opens up a person to major gaffes and skipping ket sections of a speech. but to me that just makes the speech real. I wasn’t a fan of the telepromter sinc eReagan made it a big part of speech making

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 11:33 AM

What’s funny about the whole thing is that teh DOTUS’s gaffes ARE blithely read from the TOTUS … snort.

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 11:37 AM

And the problem with notes, is ??

pambi on August 30, 2010 at 11:26 AM

My question did not state that the use notes or a teleprompter is good or bad. It was a question; however, I would point out that fully written speeches can also be heartfelt. And, because I infer (perhaps incorrectly) that you might like to see Palin as President, I wonder what your feelings would be about her inevitable use of the teleprompter for some of her speeches? Would you believe them to be less heartfelt and sincere?

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I posted this earlier in this thread, but it is worth posting again for those who didn’t see it yesterday. Please read it and send it out to everyone you know, as it will not be told in the MSM. And write to your congressmen and ask them WTF? This must be stopped!!!

silvernana on August 30, 2010 at 11:50 AM

And pambi, that probably sounded snotty, but I didn’t mean it to–I really am asking a question.

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

possible. It would depend on the circumstance. If she started at this stage to use the telprompter at every speech then yes I would. I wasn’t a fan of Reagan using it, nor bush 1 or Clinton or bush 2.

Obama’s use of it has crossed the line IMO. So I could see that if Palin used it at times it might be ok but I would be disappointed because of Obama’s abuse of it.

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Obama’s use of it has crossed the line IMO.

unseen on August 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM

With Obama, it really does seem like a crutch. I’ve never thought he was a particularly good speaker with a teleprompter, but without it he is truly abysmal.

DrMagnolias on August 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM