Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on August 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Mr. Beck made a surprise visit on Friday to a convention held by FreedomWorks, a Tea Party umbrella group, for Tea Party supporters. He received a thunderous welcome from a crowd of about 1,600 in Constitution Hall.

He told the crowd that he had begun planning his march on Washington a year ago, thinking “it was supposed to be political.”

“And then I kind of feel like God dropped a giant sandbag on my head,” he said.

“My role, as I see it, is to wake America up to the backsliding of principles and values and most of all of God,” he said. “We are a country of God. As I look at the problems in our country, quite honestly, I think the hot breath of destruction is breathing on our necks and to fix it politically is a figure that I don’t see anywhere.”

***
In a way, the rally today mirrored rallies held for then-candidate Barack Obama in 2007 and leading up to the election of 2008. Both this rally and many of Obama’s featured mesmerizing speakers, who chose to inspire audiences by rhetorically empowering them to take matters into their own hands.

While Beck’s rally emphasized belief in God, Obama’s generally emphasized himself as a savior of the American people. This, I believe, was the contrast the talk radio and television personality was trying to achieve. Beck’s rally, and the speakers who addressed the crowd, were continually thanking God and Beck for bringing such an inspiring crowd together…

Only toward the end of the program did Beck refer to Democrats, Republicans, and independents. But it still wasn’t political. It was a unity call, imploring everyone to come together and unite to “restore honor.” It was a post-partisan moment. Similar, in a way, to Obama’s 2004 DNC speech, when the then-state senator from Illinois suggested that we should not remain isolated in a “red America” or a “blue America,” but should come together as the United States of America.

***
We need to think about the success of Beck’s rally Saturday and ask what it says about the lack of moral authority in this country today. We also need to wonder what it says about us as a culture that so many Americans on a Saturday in August and more than two million a day via Fox News come to Beck and apparently hear something in his hodge-podge of elementary-school history and mishmash of moral platitudes and bromides that they find meaningful.

Moral authority — that’s what the rally was really about. That’s what the bagpipes playing “Amazing Grace” at the end of the rally were all about. That’s what all the talk of standing on “hallowed ground” was all about. That’s what the repeated use of words like “honor,” “integrity” and “trust” were all about…

That’s what what was so powerful about November 2008 in Grant Park when Barack Obama took the stage on election night: Millions of Americans thought they were watching someone who brought moral authority to the White House. I know I did.

Sadly, millions now feel Obama has since lost it with too many morning-after flip-flops on moral issues, entertainment TV show appearances, and days on the golf course as the economy struggles.

***
“Restoration” is a theme he has a gift for: a gift not only of analytical insight but of personal experience with balancing justice and mercy, and distinguishing between self-deception and realistic hope.

And he’s right about this, too: America can’t be set on a better course solely with changes in federal policy. Law and government don’t – can’t – make the people good. They don’t make us eligible for liberty. Our law and government are only as good as we are. It’s the people who have to change. And spiritual revival never looks like something organized by State Department protocol; when people are changing from the inside, there are rallies, hortatory preaching, gabfests, sorrow, joy.

I urge my fellow conservatives not to despise this phenomenon or be disparaging about it. All our futures depend on the character of the people around us. Fear, defensiveness, and moral weakness in the people are the best friends of the tyrant. None of us can resist the siren-call of statist collectivization single-handedly. It is not embarrassing or over-the-top for people to gather in public to affirm that there’s such a thing as good character, and that we can’t do without it. It is meaningful and life-changing to many. It is necessary.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Night Cindy, you’ve had a long day, but it has been a great one!

txmomof6 on August 29, 2010 at 12:33 AM

They are the smallest of men and women, intent upon stealing nations blind and presiding over who will live and who will die.

Stolen money and power, specifically the ultimate power of life and death over others are what unite these wicked malcontents. It’s what turns these sickos on.

How we have allowed them actual CONTROL at the highest levels is an indictment on ourselves that we’d best correct.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM

The only thing that unites them is their hate of everything western in general, and American in particular.

sharrukin on August 29, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Agreed. And:

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I am not positive but I think that had more to do with the Friday night Kennedy Center get together. I read that it was lead off by a Rabi who couldn’t turn on the mic because it was the start of the Sabbath and he couldn’t turn on electricity. I don’t know if it is available for viewing.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Cindy Munford: Is this the story!:)
============================================================

Lapin spoke without a microphone because during Shabbat, Jews are not supposed to turn on electricity. His talk focused on returning America to its roots in faith.

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM
===========================
Excellent, I hate for you to be alone, you never know when there will be a wild State Department SUV on the prowl.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Cindy Munford: Enforcing Sharia Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Kidding,ladies):)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

annoyinglittletwerp: If you’ve got a laptop,you’d be
good to go girl,haha!!:)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM

My Toshiba Netbook has bugged out on me and there’s no way in HADES that my husband will let me take his laptop…which I have seemingly…requisitioned.
My LG Rumor II has ‘net so it’ll have to do.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Completely

Useless

By

September.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM

S’why I call them “My Scrubby Cubbies” :)

Vntnrse on August 29, 2010 at 12:45 AM

What would US policy look like after honor has been restored? Is there a period in modern American history that can act as a model? Are we talking about looking waaay back…pre-income tax back? To what degree can “founding principles” direct current policy? Are there any areas where “founding principles” fail to provide concrete solutions?

When we talk of “turning back to god”, how far are we turning? Has modern America ever been religiously in line with Beck’s vision, or are we to go further…to our puritan roots?

I guess, at the heart of my curiosity, is whether or not America has ever been governed under Beck’s proposed model and principles, and if so, when.

I’ll do my best to keep an open mind about this, as I did when the tea parties first arrived (I even attended one). Anyone care to take a stab at any of my questions?

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

: Enforcing Sharia Law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Kidding,ladies):)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Won’t work on me cause I have pepper spray and I bite.
(DC will never be the same.*smirk*)

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM
===================
If he got the vision version or R5, you’re set. Just finished watching the vision version ;)

8/10

Awesome stuff

Ugly on August 29, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Ughly: Ya,it sounds good,and afterwards when I watch todays
Rally,it’ll have more impact,the good,bad,and what
matters!!:)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

To what degree can “founding principles” direct current policy?

Let’s start with, All men are created equal and go from there, what do you say

txmomof6 on August 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I suspect the biggest reason is that conservatives have lives to live and the leftist never stop. They want power over others as you say and while ordinary people go about their business they bend every effort towards that end. They often change their names, but the song remains the same.

That is why they attack public morality so relentlessly. If they can break that then man becomes the measure of all things, and they get the power they so desperately crave.

sharrukin on August 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM
===============================
Thanks. I was worried that the Left might take it out on him if it was popular vote. I think the Sports Press is as liberal as the others so he probably doesn’t have a chance to get it now.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Cindy Munford: I think your right,even in sports,Liberal
first and foremost!:)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM

sharrukin on August 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM

This is very true!

txmomof6 on August 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I see C-BS pegs the crowd at 87,000, even though we have arial photos. Bwahahaha.

And they wonder why folks don’t take them seriously any more.

petefrt on August 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Time to go to sleep. Goodnight everyone, sweet dreams.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Cindy Munford: Nite Cindy,I think,I’ll perpare zee movies,
to watch,

good nite everyone———————:)

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Glenn Beck is a mensch.

Inanemergencydial on August 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Good night as well, my eyes are tired!!

txmomof6 on August 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Night!

sharrukin on August 29, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Glenn Beck is a mensch.

Inanemergencydial on August 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM

Al Sharpton isn’t a mensch. He’s meshuggah.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Must. Get. off. laptop.
Night peeps!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Oops,quick pop in,too important not to post,woth repeating,
and echoing the Green Room!

And,the beat goes on….and on…..
============================================================

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Obama Pisses on Remains of the Fallen: Administration Drops Military Commission in USS Cole Bomber Trial
==============================================

It’s a sleepy Friday in late August, the president is on another vacation, Congress is out of town, no one is paying much attention. What better time for the Obama administration to pull the plug, once again, on military commissions? This time, it has halted the case of top al-Qaeda operative Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, who was to be prosecuted by a military court for the Cole bombing. The Washington Post report is here, and Jen Rubin has thoughts at Contentions.
=================

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 1:07 AM

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Night!

bluemarlin on August 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Shoot, everyone is signing off can`t keep up. Goodnight everyone, I am calling it a night as well.

God Bless America!

bluemarlin on August 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Sadly, millions now feel Obama has since lost it** with too many morning-after flip-flops on moral issues, entertainment TV show appearances, and days on the golf course as the economy struggles.

…that Obama is a marxist fraud and never held that quality in the first place.

And there will be no recovery by Obama from that sense of betrayal.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM

canopfor on August 29, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Sleeeep dude. Schlepy schleep

Ugly on August 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Friends and I were discussing the stark contrast between the state of the grounds of the Washington Mall following the inauguration of Obama in 2009, and that of today’s Restoring Honor.
We asked, “What America do You Want?” We decided the actions of people say a lot about the vision of America they have.

DeoGratias on August 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM

man, the fear-ridden anti-religious sh1tbirds really stuffed the start of this topic, didn’t they.

I think today was great, in many ways. For the positive messages, the massive peaceful (and clean!) gathering, the clear demonstration of a resurgent American culture, the undeniable success of it which the Left cannot disappear, even as they desperately cast about for a way to mis-cast it. And yes, even and especially for its expressions of faith, recognizeable for their Good even through my own agnosticism.

So pay no heed to the fearful jackholes who whinge about religious expressionism in a city whose very monuments are engraved with praises unto heaven and divine purpose. Who spew bilge about ‘nasty puritans, we hatesses them’. For today was great day for America. Conservative America.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM

They will gaze at our Lady of Justice
With her shimmering, glimmering blade
As she kisses these tyrants
She will sing them a last serenade

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM

sharrukin on August 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Ya. They know that if they can separate man from his God, they can prevail. That is why all totalitarian regimes, including Islam, which worships a pagan imposter for God, insists in stripping God from the citizenry. The Left has been busy at that task in the U.S. for years. And our very own little bike-riding, punkin-helmut-headed berri; our first pagan president, has launched it into hyperdrive.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM

There’s no half-stepping in your poetry, Percival.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM

The heresy of Mormonism. The heresy of American civil religion. Christianity is not a program for making more moral citizens or for winning elections or for making society better. Christianity is about the Christ and his finished work on the cross to pay for our sins. Christianity is about salvation through Him and it is not about gathering in public prayer with all manner of unbelievers in order to effect cultural change.

D0WNT0WN on August 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

This preening dipshite in particular. Sin of Pride. Coveting thy neighbors success on this day. Bearing false witness. One could even argue ‘downtown’s fetishizing of his own brand of ‘pure’ faith is a form of fashioning a false idol.

If there’s anything worse than a ravening anti-religion douchebag, it’s someone that vociferously trashes the ‘wrong’ stripes of judeo-christian faith.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I think people here are feeling good about what Beck did bringing this together… I have no faith that the Mormon religion is of God because it preaches a false doctrine. But for some reaon I think that Sarah Palin’s presence was a reassurance that this is not a Mormon but a traditional Judeo Isrealite Christian call to repent and turn to God… I don’t beleive Sarah would have participated were that not the case… I trust her.

CCRWM on August 29, 2010 at 1:48 AM

There’s no half-stepping in your poetry, Percival.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM

If each man and woman does what they must
The tyrants will be turned into dust
Soon now our Lady of Justice will possess them in her breathtaking, hair raising bed
She will tingle each spine as she captures each head!

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 1:50 AM

…that Obama is a marxist fraud and never held that quality in the first place. And there will be no recovery by Obama from that sense of betrayal.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Listen to what the liberals are saying here: They’re disappointed with Obama because he’s changed.

Of course that’s a giant load of crap. Obama has not changed in the tiniest bit. He is exactly the same man (if that term even applies) he’s been groomed to be since birth.

Adolph Hitler was just one pathetic wretch. And so is Barak Hussein Obama. The real problem is the millions of people who support those cult leaders and what they represent.

Don’t get me wrong; swapping out the quisling is important. But that won’t fix the fundamental problem.

So what if we quit our jobs, hold some rallies, and get a few halfway decent people in office this time around? What about next time? Liberals have “learned their lesson,” but what is that lesson? That Obama LIED to them when he promised that it was “audacious to hope that the dreams of my father would change…” or whatever the Hell gibberish he spouted that seemed so incredibly profound at the time, but now no one can even recall?

Of course not. The people who voted for the illusion of Obama will probably all get rabidly enthused about a skinny albino Communist next time.

You have to understand how liberals “think.” The collectivist mind responds to something called perceived concensus. Part of what that means is that liberals always believe they are right; and when the perceived concensus changes, then they immediately believe they are right in the exact opposite way. In-between, there was at most a split-second of cognitive dissonance, but there is never any introspection, let alone the slightest pang of personal guilt.

We have to rub this in their faces. They have to learn they can’t blame this on anyone. They were undeniably and inexcusably WRONG.

I’m not saying this will magically cause liberals to suddenly become productive citizens. But at least it’s the first step toward maturity. And I’m afraid we must insist that they take it.

logis on August 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Not quite the stuff of sweet dreams, PercyB, but I think I’ll survive it, as I toddle off to bed.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM

logis on August 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Had to post just one more for the road to say,

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 2:04 AM

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Et sur mon manege, l’amour toujours est chantant
De mes reves, c’est le commencement
Et j’espere une fin heureuse

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM

We are a nation in which the majority of people are Christians. “Christian nation” to me seems like an oxymoron. Christ and the State don’t mix.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

No, your phrasing is deliberately dishonest. They co-exist and mutually reinforce each other, to creat the best nation on this damned planet. Look at what America has achieved in onyl a few hundred years. It wasn’t despite religious mores.

Take another look at the Establishment clause, and at the raft of lies the Left has built up around it, until they’ve perverted to their own marxist cause. It is not ‘freedom FROM religion’, it is ‘freedom OF religion’. And that essential faith was central in our founding, amongst our founders, and generations afterward. This nation did not falter until Progressives sought to eradicate religion from the public square, in contravention to the very core of this nation.
THey’ve succeeded to a great degree, to the point where fools like you reflexive shy from any hint of religiousity and erect strawmen stuffed with your irrational and indoctrinated fears.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

LMAO. I do not think that word means what you pretend it to mean, you idiot.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I’m not sure what it means, but it looks lovely in print.
More the stuff of sweet dreams, I’m sure. Good night, all.

tigerlily on August 29, 2010 at 2:29 AM

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

In my childhood there used to be scriptures in the public square. And most people thought it was a positive thing. One I remember was the TV station used to say, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.” It was like their motto or something. That is from Proverbs or somewhere.

The National Day of Prayer was a big deal, people mentioned it at school and so forth. This was when I was really little and lived in WA, not largely known as a bible belt type place.

Religion was the reason people would have given for not stealing or being honest etc.

I think that basic moral use of religion to discipline ourselves is all that is needed. Now religion is mocked and shunned. In fact some, many religious views are considered immoral in themselves!

Religion and the religious deserve to be held in the high regard they were in the past, even since the 50s or 60s, not long ago at all. Religion is positive, not negative.

petunia on August 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Well looks like the HA problems got fixed..:)..Where is everyone at?.:)..Looks like I missed a great QOTD..:)

Dire Straits on August 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Dire Straits on August 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM

I’m still here. Mouthy tabby cat is keeping me awake.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM

Looks like it is/was a very good QOTD thread..I hate I missed it..:)

Dire Straits on August 29, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Sadly, millions now feel Obama has since lost [moral authority] with too many morning-after flip-flops on moral issues, entertainment TV show appearances, and days on the golf course as the economy struggles.

Really?

Nonfactor on August 29, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

LMAO. I do not think that word means what you pretend it to mean, you idiot.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Terrie perchance had a flaming liberal Creative Writing “professor” her freshman year?

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Et sur mon manege, l’amour toujours est chantant.
Des mes reves, c’est le commencement,
Et j’espere une fine heureuse.
Mais la fin de l’histoire ne vient pas tres doucement,
Pour l’histoire il faut faire semblant.
Certes je n’embrasse que mes reves, seuls mes reves!

The first part, from

PercyB on August 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM

If I may attempt a translation for his lyrics from Linda Eder: In my dreams/the storybook kind, love is always singing. . . and I hope (for) a happy ending. {A lovely good night to tigerlily.}

The second part: But the end of the story doesn’t come so
softly, for the story is just pretend/make believe. Certainly, though, I only embrace my dreams, only my dreams!

Percy, lovely lyrics.

But also, perhaps, a metaphor and message for this day?

If I may, again, make a leap and synthesize (at least this is my takeaway). .

Glenn, Sarah, the robes and all assembled today said: come together, light warriors. Unite! The time to fight the dark side is now.

Opinionator on August 29, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Really?

Nonfactor on August 29, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Yes, malefactor. No shit.

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2010 at 4:35 AM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Really, Terrie, trying to dismiss those who disagree with you by calling them names is not exactly the height of critical thinking.

DrMagnolias on August 29, 2010 at 6:54 AM

The real question: Is Glenn Beck Running for President?

orfannkyl on August 29, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Once again, how we got here and what has to change so that there can be true hope,is found in the words of GK Chesterton early on in the 20th century when he ward us that a nation founded upon Judeo-Christian thought and rational thought was fading and he told us that there is coming an era of “emotion.” (Think PC)

No nation can do anything but fail and die based upon emotion folks.Emotion untethered by rational truth based upon the source of our freedom -Nature’s God” (and ours)
is but self-destruction.

The moral revolution of the sixties which rejected all authority (mostly God’s) has brought this curse upon us -destroying our nation, our families, ourselves.

The Godless Marxists are the winners and were not above bein the instigators of all this, that they may scoop up the spoils of a fallen star.

I have very little faith in the GOP or the electorate that has long ago lost its compass – reducing man and his inherited dignity to the equal of animals -that we might act like one.

Don L on August 29, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I have heard the numbers were anything from 87,000 to 500,000. Whatever the number, the crowd was big.

I have a lot of respect for the Tea Party people and I do not doubt their sincerity for a moment, but I do have my doubts about Beck. I just can not shake the feeling that he is exploiting the political situation for his own purposes.

I have heard him say too many things that bother me. Such as Bush should be impeached, the Patriot Act is wrong, Theodore Roosevelt was a thug who picked on Latinos, we were better off that Obama won than if McCain had won…and he has also done some flipping of his own, such as on TARP. It seems to me that some of the Bushbashing was gratuitous and unnecessary and every bit as unhinged as anything you might here from the left. But he made a point of leaving Reagan alone, even when it came to issues like amnesty, that made me think he was watching his ratings and picking safe targets.

I think he sees the Tea Party people as a leaderless group and he wants to give them a leader. I am not sure that is a good thing for the Tea Party.

I do think America has strayed from many of its basic tenets, such as self reliance and individual liberty. But is Beck a good spokesman? Well, I just don’t know about that. I do feel a lot more comfortable with Sarah Palin up there however.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM

petunia on August 29, 2010 at 2:43 AM

Does that go for any religion?

DarkCurrent on August 29, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Beck is hither and yon from time to time, as you say, but I believe he believes what he is saying at the moment. I don’t think he is that calculating. He is sharper than he lets on, no doubt, but I believe he is sincere. He just lets everyone in on his unique learning curve.

P.S. Congrats for not spelling tenets as if you were referring to renters, as I have seen too often. :>)

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM

How many of us here think that tomorrow, on the Sunday yap shows, we might find repubs joining their marxist brothers and sisters to condemn Beck ?

macncheez on August 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Marxist brothers? I have never really heard too many Republicans condemn this sort of talk. Really I have not. But I do think there are some things here that will bother people. Beck is seen as a showman to a lot of people. And remember not so long ago when it came to gay marriage he used the Jefferson quote..something such as if it does not pick my pocket or break my leg..what do I care. Well, will Tony Perkins and other social and religious conservative leaders agree with that? I doubt it. Beck is a libertarian more than a conservative. Sometimes the two are very different.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM

hillbillyjim on August 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Well, that is why God created spell check.The truth is I am famous for typos and screwups, but like that broken clock even I am right twice a day.

And yes, I do think Beck is sharper than he lets on. That is what bothers me about him. I don’t think he is some awful person or anything, I just think he might be more calculating than some people like to think. For instance, when he said we were better off with Obama than with McCain..I thought to myself, Well you might be Beck, this crap might be bad for the country but it is good for your ratings. Was I being unfair? Maybe. I know he meant that this sojourn in the desert has brought us to the Promised Land, but somehow or other it just rubbed me the wrong way.

We are not better off with Obama. Not for a day, much less than entire term of office.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM

I was there yesterday. The crowd was much bigger than “estimates”.

darwin on August 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

No, your phrasing is deliberately dishonest.

rayra on August 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM

“My kingdom is not of this world” must’ve been deliberately dishonest as well.

ddrintn on August 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

To David Zurawik of The Baltimore Sun,

The problem with waiting for some charismatic leader to save you rather than saving yourself, trusting in God within you and in what you are given, is that you squander opportunity, blindly waiting in vain, missing your own calling to relate with the spirit of God that is strength.

It is the right of every American to utilize freedom of expression. I’m not offended that people relate their life’s experience, one way or another, religious or not, whether Beck or Hitchens. I’m also not swayed to “follow” anyone, having my own trust in God, knowing the deceits of people, righteous or self righteous. But rejecting either the message or the messenger is to lose communication, being unwise. Rather, I choose to categorize for myself “meaning” from all sources.

It would be unnatural for Americans to reject our own legacy whether from peer pressure, or because the media and politicians and judges make it not only unfashionable, but down right mean to be conservative, as if conservatism is a hate crime.

For any occurrence, energy is required. For any unity, alliance must occur. And in that American alliance, In God We Trust, not some influential character who inevitably possesses failings.

Beck called for American children to assume the responsibilities that our founders and greatest leaders accepted. I thought it figurative asking for the next George Washington to serve our nation according to our founding documents. At least our children don’t have to re-invent the wheel, already provided with our founding fathers’ completed provisions for our Constitutional Republic.

and

That’s what what was so powerful about November 2008 in Grant Park when Barack Obama took the stage on election night: Millions of Americans thought they were finally watching someone who brought moral authority to the White House and the land. I know I did.

We are a saner, more focused and calmer nation when we feel as if we have someone we can look to for moral authority. Glenn Beck understands that, and that is what makes what happened in Washington Saturday worth thinking about long and hard.

Sanity, focus and calm dependent on having “someone” representing moral authority?

Scriptural References abound

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

“But Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.’” Mark 10:24-27

“He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’

“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” Luke 18:9-14

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and whose hope is the LORD.” Jeremiah 17:7

“…the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory….
O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man who trusts in You!” Psalm 84:11-12

“Preserve me, O God, for in You I put my trust.” Psalm 16:1

“Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid.” Isaiah 12:2

“I will love You, O Lord, my strength.

The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies.” Psalm 18:1-3

“Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name.” Psalm 33:20-21

“Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.” Psalm 2:12

“He who trusts in his own heart is a fool….” Proverbs 28:26

“‘This is your lot, the portion of your measures from Me,’ says the Lord,
‘Because you have forgotten Me and trusted in falsehood.” Jeremiah 13:25

“For you have trusted in your wickedness; You have said, ‘No one sees me’;
Your wisdom and your knowledge have warped you;
And you have said in your heart, ‘I am, and there is no one else besides me.’
Therefore evil shall come upon you;” Isaiah 47:10-11

“Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the Lord.
For he shall be like a shrub in the desert, and shall not see when good comes,
But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness….
“Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord.
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear when heat comes; but its leaf will be green,
And will not be anxious in the year of drought….
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?
I, the Lord, search the heart; I test the mind,
Even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.” Jeremiah 17:5-10

No one calls for justice, nor does any plead for truth.
They trust in empty words and speak lies;
They conceive evil and bring forth iniquity.” Isaiah 59:4

“For because you have trusted in your works and your treasures, you also shall be taken.” Jeremiah 48:7

“You have eaten the fruit of lies, because you trusted in your own way,
In the multitude of your mighty men.
Therefore tumult shall arise among your people,” Hosea 10:13-14

“Do not trust in a friend; do not put your confidence in a companion;” Micah 7:5

“Woe to the rebellious children,” says the Lord, “who take counsel, but not of Me,
And who devise plans, but not of My Spirit…. and have not asked My advice….
Therefore the strength of Pharaoh shall be your shame,
And trust in the shadow of Egypt shall be your humiliation.” Isaiah 30:1-3

“A mighty man is not delivered by great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for safety;
Neither shall it deliver any by its great strength.
Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him,
On those who hope in His mercy….” Psalm 33:16-18

“But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord;
I say, ‘You are my God. My times are in Your hand.” Psalm 31:14

“…the Lord has rejected your trusted allies, and you will not prosper by them.” Jeremiah 2:37

maverick muse on August 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM

What would US policy look like after honor has been restored? Is there a period in modern American history that can act as a model? … Anyone care to take a stab at any of my questions?
ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

The short answer is no. I think that there was no period in modern American history where we were overall a radically more honorable people. We’ve largely corrected our past bigotry and aggression to the degree that it counterbalances our slide into socialism with its inevitable moral and institutionalized corruption. Beck promotes ideals and examples, not necessarily an integrated model that once existed and was better in every significant way.

Now can I ask a question of you ernesto, does that make efforts to reverse that slide under the banner of “Restoring Honor” any less valid?

FWIW, I wasn’t blown away by the Restoring Honor rally. Beck’s best material was taken from his broadcasts. I saw no big surprises, and without his usual humor, the rally was too stiff. Perhaps if I were a Christian I’d have found it much more moving. I’m just glad I didn’t drive 18 hours straight through each way with my 5 & 7 y/o boys as I was considering.

elfman on August 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM

And they wonder why folks don’t take them seriously any more.

petefrt on August 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Yeah, that’s just our own home-grown Pravda chiming in. If the rally yesterday had only 87,000, then historically they’re really going to have to revise downward the number of people who attended the (so-called) Million Man March. Comparing aerial photos shows the crowd size for both events to have been similar.

ddrintn on August 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

“My kingdom is not of this world” must’ve been deliberately dishonest as well.” What does that have to do with anything? Certainly those of Christ are not OF this world but Jesus specifically points out we are IN this world. And he never said anything about those in Christ separating from all politics while we are here. His major criticism of the political leaders of the day, the Pharisees, boils down to the fact they weren’t enough like Christ himself. Separating religion from politics is impossible. Take out one and another, usually darker, one will rush in to take its place.

tommyboy on August 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

tommyboy on August 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

What does it have to do with anything? Just what it says. You can’t be to-the-letter specific one moment and then go completely metaphorical the next.

ddrintn on August 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Two years ago I bullet pointed pros and cons of an Obama presidency effect on conservative values. President McCain Promoting or Obstructing Conservatism (A decision making tool)

It’s a long list but if you read just the first three sections: Exposing Democrats, Strengthening Conservatism, and Disempowering Republican Liberals I think it explains Beck’s reasoning behind favoring Obama over McCain

elfman on August 29, 2010 at 9:05 AM

elflman:

It could take years, literally years to get back to where we were when Bush left office. That is the kind of debt we are talking about here. Real debt, real money, that has to be paid back…not to mention the national security implications of having someone like Obama in the White House. The idea that somehow it is good thing to put the country in this position so that we can Expose Democrats or Strengthen Conservatism is in and of itself a political message. Beck said that this whole rally of his was not supposed to be political. That is the point. The fact that people come together to try and save the country from ruin is a good thing, I am not denying that…it would just a whole lot better if we were not facing ruin.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM

When I was a kid you thought about the things you would do because even if your parents didn’t catch you, God would see. Trust me, I was not from a church going family, it was just the general belief of my peers. We seem to have devolved into a society that wants to get what we can and not think about where the “get” comes from. We seem to be motivated in a vacuum, like our actions don’t effect anyone else. I don’t know how or if the rally will change anything, I just know we would be better off if we thought a bit harder about the impact of our actions and tried to be less self-serving.

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM

“My kingdom is not of this world” must’ve been deliberately dishonest as well.

ddrintn on August 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

That is great point.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Cindy Munford on August 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Same here.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I have Fox News Sunday on right now and here is Beck saying that he spent the last three years of Bush’s tenure telling people to run for their lives.

Right. Sure. Bush is a Christian and he took a lot of crap for not being shy about that…and here is Beck who keeps telling us what a Christian he is going after the Republican…sounds like half the Democrats in office right now. Blame Bush..Yep. And I also remember Beck yakking about the Patriot Act…so if Bush was so bad, what about Reagan? Should he have been impeached for refusing to secure the borders? And if the Patriot Act was so bad, should we abandon it? Is Beck joining the Democrats here too?

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 9:25 AM

logis on August 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Well yes, of course we must insist. It won’t help though. Every decade or so the left has a shiny new group of idealists to fight with. Most of them will eventually grow up and see how their idealism was misplaced, but not all of them. Those who don’t will be the “leaders” of the next generation of robots (with all the money and power) and will cause even more problems than the last group did.

I’m not sure if the damage can truly be stopped. Arguing with people who are blinded by ideology is difficult. And actually getting them to listen is nearly impossible. We end up winning every argument, but each time we’re a little bit farther down the road to big brother. Every time we’ve lost a little bit more freedom.

For example – we just won the fight with the EPA over lead bullets, but you watch and see – the price of bullets will increase. Next time the fight might be that the world is running out of brass, or they’ll come up with “evidence” that second-hand-smokeless powder is carcinogenic. We’ll win that fight too, more than likely. But we’ll still lose a little bit of America.

I’m to the point I can’t see any non-violent way of returning America to it’s good graces. I hope I’m wrong. Let’s see what November brings.

Squiggy on August 29, 2010 at 9:26 AM

the Left (and their minions commenting on this and other blogs) continue to try and minimize and demean Beck.

He’s NOT perfect, and I don’t agree with him on everything.

But he DID attract over 600,000 people to Washington D.C. yesterday…of their own accord…to stand in the sun for 4 hours and listen to speeches about Restoring Honor in America.

And “the Creator” is part of that. For even if you do not believe in “the Creator”, having your rights “endowed by the Creator” is a hell of a lot better than having your rights granted by Queen Nancy Piglosi or Lord Obama.

For all his imperfections, Beck stood tall yesterday…and hundreds of thousands stood with him. A powerful force for good.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I appreciated Beck ending the rally with Amazing Grace. It gave me goose bumps. Here is the most compelling rendition I’ve ever heard:
If the rally had been political (like the MSM insists) then instead of Amazing Grace he would have ended with The Battle Hymn of the Republic:
” In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on. “

Metanis on August 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Democracy Now! estimates the crwod at between 4 and 5 thousand.

But, because those annying conservative people moved around so much, it created the illusion of 400,000-500,00.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Yes, and I wonder how many of those people there yesterday were Republicans? I watched him on Fox this morning and he just got through talking about how bad the Republicans suck and how they are no different from Democrats…and yet if Sarah Palin, Republican nominee for the White House in 2008 had not been up there with him, how many of those people would have stayed home?

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 9:54 AM

state of the union did not mention the beck rally at all…
doubt we will hear of it on Meet the press or This week….
I know Wallace will have Beck on FNS…

it’s going to be Katrina (Blame Bush) all day…

cmsinaz on August 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Terrye: “if Sarah Palin, Republican nominee for the White House in 2008 had not been up there with him, how many of those people would have stayed home?”

a handful…if that. Palin was NOT the headliner, and was only on stage for 10 minutes out of a 4 HOUR rally.

Nice try, Terrye. Actually not…but I’m being polite.

The rally was NOT a political rally. But yes, the views presented would tend to favor Republicans more than Democrats…since the Democrats are the Party of the ACLU, ACORN and SEIU. It would be impossible to find HONOR in any of those organizationslikewise the Democrat Party.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM

it’s going to be Katrina (Blame Bush) all day…

cmsinaz on August 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Well, then they can show some Beck, because he spends a lot of time blaming Bush too.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Nice try, Terrye. Actually not…but I’m being polite.

The rally was NOT a political rally. But yes, the views presented would tend to favor Republicans more than Democrats…since the Democrats are the Party of the ACLU, ACORN and SEIU. It would be impossible to find HONOR in any of those organizations…likewise the Democrat Party.
Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Really? Because I just listened to Glenn Beck trash the Republican party. He went out of his way to do it..and Bush. Yes, you are right it was not a big political rally, but Beck has no problem featuring Republicans like Palin when it can work for him and then going after Bush like some Democrat looking for someone to blame.

However, there are certain Republicans he will not go after..for instance no matter how liberal Reagan’s immigration policy was you will never hear Beck attack him, but Bush and Teddy Roosevelt? He hates them and makes it plain he hates them.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Beck has praised Bush, and bashed Bush. But unlike the Democrats he doesn’t blame Bush for our problems RIGHT NOW. Obama and the Dems own EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM now.

The Dems have been in power for FOUR YEARS (did you get the memo?). During those four years our country has started to fall apart…and during the last two Lord Obama has set about “fundamentally transforming” our country.

Palin spoke as a PATRIOT and mother of a soldier…and stuck to that. Oh, and she’s ardently PRO-life. So ya, Beck likes her. So do I.

Code Pink spoke at Sharpton’s rally. Tells ya all ya need to know.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM

So it seems that the general answers to my questions have been:

-No, there has never been a period in American history that one could describe as being in line with the Beck model of honor and principles with regards to policy

-People seem to miss the days when everyone was religious by default. Not necessarily deeply religious, but that mentioning god and jesus was something everyone could do in any situation without being looked at funny.

With the 1st statement, I’d tend to agree, but then I also wonder why Beck is speaking of “restoring” honor when there is no clear past model for us to restore. He seems more interested in creating an honorable america than restoring one.

As for the 2nd sentiment, I’m not sure I see the value. Life in the 50′s and 60′s was no significantly better, and for many people (namely minorities), life was simply worse, despite god playing a bigger role in social life. So is it really that important? That EVERYONE be able to pay lip service to god in social settings?

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM

cmsinaz on August 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Those are political shows. For coverage of the mormongelical revival, see CBN and/or the 700 club.

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

ddrintn on August 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

That’s just it. I could see CBS saying 87,000 if there were no aerial photos. But we have them, and so CBS is demonstrably wrong.

Meanwhile, NBC estimated 300,000. And NYT says Beck’s people’s preliminary estimate was about 500,000.

petefrt on August 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

ernesto: “No, there has never been a period in American history that one could describe as being in line with the Beck model of honor and principles with regards to policy

Bullshit.

Beck’s point is that our Founders were indeed men (and women) of PRINCIPLE, HONOR and INTEGRITY.

And those qualities WERE valued more in our past. Try applying any or all of those three words to Obama, Reid or Piglosi. Can’t be done…honestly.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

still using that “tens of thousands” meme?

is it sloppy reporting or agenda driven?

There’s a picture on DRUDGE…..can the reporter not see that?

PappyD61 on August 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight… that the bright daylight of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the last word.” – MLK.

Beck needs better (a) speechwriter(s). His winging it on the radio is fun, but seems off-handed and lightweight at an event of this magnitude.

An A for effort, but not so much for message.

profitsbeard on August 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Code Pink spoke at Sharpton’s rally. Tells ya all ya need to know.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM

You need to watch Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace and his long interview with Glenn Beck and listen to what he says about Bush and the Republicans.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:26 AM

And Justrand as for me getting the memo…I am not a Democrat, I am not a liberal. I did not vote for Barack Obama and I would not vote for him if you put a gun to my head. And yes, I do think that what the Democrats have done to the country is abominable, but unlike Beck when McCain lost the election, I did not say we were better off with Obama. That is what I am talking about. Beck is not really all that conservative, he is an independent libertarian with conservative stances on some issues. He makes it plain that as far as he is concerned both parties suck.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:31 AM

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM

there was pre bashing of the rally last week, figured they would follow up with post bashing…just heard a little of it on MTP…

cmsinaz on August 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Terrye, I think Beck goes out of his way to not give his numerous LSM detractors a way to call him a “Tool of the Republican Party”…which they do anyway, of course.

Beck is careful to level criticism at the Republican Party where it is deserved…like when it is acting as “Democrat-Lite”. But he’s also careful to point out that the DEMOCRATS are the ones in power and actively destroying our nation NOW.

So Beck wants to focus on We The People as the source for restoring America’s HONOR…and securing our liberty. At least SOME Republicans get it. NO Democrats do.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM

The founders were individuals, and not saints. Puritan slaveholders, while a step above the norm at the time, are not necessarily a complete and perfect model for us today. Culturally, we can’t regress 200+ years.

What I was referring to was a period of time when AMERICA, as in, the country itself and its policies, were “honorable”.

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:20 AM

How do you know? You weren’t even alive then. You are basing your statement on what you’ve been told by others, and what you’ve been taught by others. In other words, you’re assuming something, and treating it as fact, when you never lived thru it yourself.

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Del Dolemonte on August 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Right. So obviously no one can comment on anything without having actually lived through it. How does Beck know that Washington was so honorable? He wasn’t alive then. He never met him.

/s

Anyway, so is my assessment wrong? I assume you were alive then…enlighten me.

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

His attacks on Bush go way and beyond not being a tool for the Democrats. It is gratuitous and over the top.

He just knows that Bush is a safe target. But I respected Bush. I never agree with everything any politician does, but Bush never pretended to be anything he was not and he did not deserve to demonized by the left and abandoned by people like Beck. I am sorry, but if the subject here is integrity I have my doubts about Beck’s integrity. I do not doubt those people who showed up at the Mall, I think they are good and fine people trying to stand up for a country they love.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:47 AM

His attacks on Bush go way and beyond not being a tool for the Democrats.

I should have said his attacks go way and beyond not being a tool for the Republicans, but then in a way it is the same difference.

Terrye on August 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM

ernesto: “How does Beck know that Washington was so honorable?

the same way anyone with a brain does…by reading Washington’s words, analyzing his actions, and studying the times during which it all took place.

the easiest thing to observe is that Washington COULD have been KING! It was thrust upon him…he refused. And then when his second term was up he LEFT. He didn’t run again, he didn’t stick around to create a “legacy” or hand-pick a successor. He left…setting a magnificent precedent. NO ONE in the history of mankind had EVER doen this. EVER.

so, ernesto, can you imagine Lord Obama showing this much class or honor? Of course not.

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM

How have any republicans shown that they want to restore America’s honor, outside of talking about it?

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Justrand on August 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

You missed the /sarcasm tag. My apologies for making it one line below the actual sarcasm.

ernesto on August 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM