Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on August 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Mr. Beck made a surprise visit on Friday to a convention held by FreedomWorks, a Tea Party umbrella group, for Tea Party supporters. He received a thunderous welcome from a crowd of about 1,600 in Constitution Hall.

He told the crowd that he had begun planning his march on Washington a year ago, thinking “it was supposed to be political.”

“And then I kind of feel like God dropped a giant sandbag on my head,” he said.

“My role, as I see it, is to wake America up to the backsliding of principles and values and most of all of God,” he said. “We are a country of God. As I look at the problems in our country, quite honestly, I think the hot breath of destruction is breathing on our necks and to fix it politically is a figure that I don’t see anywhere.”

***
In a way, the rally today mirrored rallies held for then-candidate Barack Obama in 2007 and leading up to the election of 2008. Both this rally and many of Obama’s featured mesmerizing speakers, who chose to inspire audiences by rhetorically empowering them to take matters into their own hands.

While Beck’s rally emphasized belief in God, Obama’s generally emphasized himself as a savior of the American people. This, I believe, was the contrast the talk radio and television personality was trying to achieve. Beck’s rally, and the speakers who addressed the crowd, were continually thanking God and Beck for bringing such an inspiring crowd together…

Only toward the end of the program did Beck refer to Democrats, Republicans, and independents. But it still wasn’t political. It was a unity call, imploring everyone to come together and unite to “restore honor.” It was a post-partisan moment. Similar, in a way, to Obama’s 2004 DNC speech, when the then-state senator from Illinois suggested that we should not remain isolated in a “red America” or a “blue America,” but should come together as the United States of America.

***
We need to think about the success of Beck’s rally Saturday and ask what it says about the lack of moral authority in this country today. We also need to wonder what it says about us as a culture that so many Americans on a Saturday in August and more than two million a day via Fox News come to Beck and apparently hear something in his hodge-podge of elementary-school history and mishmash of moral platitudes and bromides that they find meaningful.

Moral authority — that’s what the rally was really about. That’s what the bagpipes playing “Amazing Grace” at the end of the rally were all about. That’s what all the talk of standing on “hallowed ground” was all about. That’s what the repeated use of words like “honor,” “integrity” and “trust” were all about…

That’s what what was so powerful about November 2008 in Grant Park when Barack Obama took the stage on election night: Millions of Americans thought they were watching someone who brought moral authority to the White House. I know I did.

Sadly, millions now feel Obama has since lost it with too many morning-after flip-flops on moral issues, entertainment TV show appearances, and days on the golf course as the economy struggles.

***
“Restoration” is a theme he has a gift for: a gift not only of analytical insight but of personal experience with balancing justice and mercy, and distinguishing between self-deception and realistic hope.

And he’s right about this, too: America can’t be set on a better course solely with changes in federal policy. Law and government don’t – can’t – make the people good. They don’t make us eligible for liberty. Our law and government are only as good as we are. It’s the people who have to change. And spiritual revival never looks like something organized by State Department protocol; when people are changing from the inside, there are rallies, hortatory preaching, gabfests, sorrow, joy.

I urge my fellow conservatives not to despise this phenomenon or be disparaging about it. All our futures depend on the character of the people around us. Fear, defensiveness, and moral weakness in the people are the best friends of the tyrant. None of us can resist the siren-call of statist collectivization single-handedly. It is not embarrassing or over-the-top for people to gather in public to affirm that there’s such a thing as good character, and that we can’t do without it. It is meaningful and life-changing to many. It is necessary.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Best analogy I’ve seen so far: “Binky the clown does the Gettysburg Address”.

Dark-Star on August 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

WTH are you talking about…

lovingmyUSA on August 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

DOWNTOWN doesn’t seem to like Mormons and sees them as the ‘other side’. Even if that is what he believes he should be able to see beyond that difference and be glad of what Beck is doing.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

CNN continues to be a festering sore running it’s bias pus all over the airways. They really are bending to spin this against the people who came out in this rally today. CNN trying to prop up Sharpton, who looked pathetically weak today, is like putting a gold ring in a pig’s snout.

wepeople on August 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Gott Mit Uns

MSimon on August 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

where
as,Team Cycle Hopey,is to take a spin aro
ond the community!!
canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Still they should still make those in boys models……Look i know its kind of funny but in all seriousness is it too much to ask that my POTUS at least act and pretend to be a male. I mean is he going after the cross dresser vote or something. now if hillary won the election or Palin then I could see…..

what type of message does this send to Russia, china, North Korea, Iran?

unseen on August 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Best analogy I’ve seen so far: “Binky the clown does the Gettysburg Address”.

Dark-Star on August 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Since Beck describes himself as a rodeo clown you will have to do better than that.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Agree with the above and can’t think of anything that drives this point home in stark relief more than the problem of Americans allowing or participating in the murder of tens of millions of unborn children.

If we want to restore our honor, and by extension, free our nation from the filth in Congress and the WH, we might start by ending the American reign of terror that started for the unborn in 1973.

Abortion has slaughtered American children and killed America’s soul.

It is literally the blood that the Left feeds off of for their demonic strength, while we “patriots”, we “Christians”, have shockingly allowed it to continue as we lived high on the hog until the rats that we politically empowered to practice and support their diabolical trade started to put the squeeze on us.

Now we rally?? For who?

I find it incredibly disappointing, offensive, really, that 40 MILLION AMERICAN DEAD remained nameless and forgotten at a rally where “restoring honor” and recognizing our American brethren was to be the order of the day.

If we can’t stop the butchering of our innocent posterity; if we don’t have the cajones to amend OUR Constitution, then everything else is just window dressing.

And no one should wonder why we are about to reap the whirlwind.

tigerlily on August 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

we might find repubs joining their marxist brothers and sisters to condemn Beck ?

macncheez on August 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM

macncheez:*Rolls Eyes*,ugh,that will be another Great Grand
Purge List that I will have to make,

RINO’s,moderates,fence sitter independents,b*ast
erdizing,Besmirching,and DemDebaucherization of
Glen Becks,er,America’s Rally!!:)

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Alveda King (MLK Jr’s niece) gave an extraordinary sppeech and had a great quote in it. “…sickness and disease of the spirit plague our nation, our children are incarcerated at horrendous rates, and wombs of mothers have become a battleground where the blood of our children is shed in a war…”

it was an incredible speech by that lady. I’d say the best of the day.

ted c on August 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Correct, she was great, now I know why the left was so mad she was going to speak. It had nothing to do with selling out and helping Beck, they knew what her positions were already I am guessing!

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Be careful don’t exchange one false Messiah for another.

Hobbes on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Laus Deo“-Praise God! written at the top of the Washington Monument

Seeing 500,000 citizens praising God and praying together to restore America to being a good, righteous and moral place again is my prayer, my hope and my *dream*,too!
God bless Glenn and may the Lord continue to bless this country!

Jenfidel on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Be careful don’t exchange one false Messiah for another.

Hobbes on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

you saying Jesus is false?

unseen on August 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever said it, but I am constantly amazed at what a dear, dear friend you are of America! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Second that.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Waiting for the massive amount of trash left by those religious nuts. Oops wrong bunch.

gooddad on August 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Best analogy I’ve seen so far: “Binky the clown does the Gettysburg Address”.

Dark-Star on August 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Vile.
Do you enjoy burning the flag, too?

Jenfidel on August 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Glenn Beck did a beautiful thing for his country and his fellow countrymen today!…
God bless Glenn and may the Lord continue to bless this country!

Jenfidel on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

That he did.
Some may not like his delivery but his message was strong and mostly universal.

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Be careful don’t exchange one false Messiah for another.

Hobbes on August 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM

There’s not one person on this thread, or anywhere in this country I would bet, who is doing that.

Obama all but proclaimed himself to be the messiah, but Beck has been very clear who he believes to be the Messiah.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread for some wonderful, insightful comments on today’s rally.

Well…most of you, anyway. ;o)

kakypat on August 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Round about the cauldron go
In the poisoned entrails throw
Fascist dictates of Obama snake
In the cauldron boil and bake
Votes of bribed congressman and death panels of Ezekiel frog
Rants of MSM ding bats and tongue of dirty Reid dog
SEIU’s pork and Michelle Antoinette’s bling
Rising Sharia and Victory Mega Mosque’s assaulting sting
Maw of ravening tax shark
Root of Pelosi hemlock digged in the dark

Cheshire Cat on August 28, 2010 at 10:39 PM

kakypat on August 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

There were some really good ones on the open thread as well.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Other countries that have great-sounding constitutions, but are hellholes because, if you slip the judge $1000, he’ll wipe his behind with the constitution and give you any decision you want. That’s not any problem of constitutional wording. That’s a problem of the soul. That’s a problem that America can have too, if we lose our souls.

RBMN on August 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I’ll have to be brutally honest here, though. After arranging the rally, Beck should’ve kept an extremely low profile and should’ve just had a wide variety of other speakers (including Palin) take the podium. It does look uncomfortably egotistical to me (though I do believe Beck is sincere). This is why Limbaugh wisely avoids things like this.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

This is why I can’t find a home church. Why must they snark about denominational differences that done amount to a hill of beans. Ignore all they have in common to indulge in stupid petty stuff.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

what type of message does this send to Russia, china, North Korea, Iran?

unseen on August 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

unseen:The first thing,if I was to ride that “bike”,is rip
off that pansy rear fender!!

Heres a real mans bike,Colnago C50

And,speaking of the female President Hopey!:)
==================================================

Valerie Jarrett: Why Obama Being “Womanly” is a Good Thing

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

^ What’s more, with the setup I described the media would’ve had to worry about far more targets than just Beck.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

+ One Trillion.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Hey! Beck’s “history” is useful and new to about 90% of our brothers and sisters, even if they don’t agree with him. It surely is entertaining, too.
IlikedAUH2O on August 28, 2010 at 10:07 PM

According to standardized tests, I know more about history than 99.97% of American high school graduates. And I occasionally learn things from the Glen Beck show – not from his blackboard lectures, but from the great historian guests he has on.

Especially the stuff about religion. That stuff has gone down the memory hole in America’s federal school system.

But, as important as that obviously is, the part I found most fascinating was about the lies that are taught about religion in American liberal arts classes – in institutes of so-called “higher education.”

For years I’d heard libtards babble endlessly about how our founding fathers were all atheists. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s just the drugs talking, but if they were JUST stupid, they’d say random things. Some would call the founding fathers atheists, sure, but an equal number would say they wore Spam on their heads, or communicated only through interpretive dance, etc…

Then I saw on Glen Beck that all the over-educated morons are actually TAUGHT that kind of crap in “college.” Apparently, some freak wrote a book 70 years ago, based on a line in a letter from Ben Franklin wherein he called himself a “deist,” and then the “scholor” spent 1500 pages jabbering that Franklin really meant to say he and all the other founders are actually atheists.

How screwed up is that?

Now I can’t help but wonder what ELSE don’t I know about the things these morons are being taught.

logis on August 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

They would have just gone with painting Palin as an Elmer Gantry threat to all that is good and decent in secular America.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

gooddad on August 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

gooddad: Excellent point!

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Walk in fear, libs, 500k represent far more Americans than just 500k, there are those of us who couldn’t make the trip who will back them up.

Bishop on August 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

That he did.
Some may not like his delivery but his message was strong and mostly universal.

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Yes, why can`t it just be accepted as such! What he did today could well shift this country back in the right direction and at the least he has helped. Even the left understand at a visceral level how dangerous this message is to them. It rips the heart right out of their big government progressive nanny message and their being, in my opinion. Just look at their reactions today! I expect overdrive, out of control reaction from them on this one, especially since they were not ready for what happened to them today! They were all wee wee`d up to fight but they came with the wrong talking points. Just can`t dust off and recycle the old ones anymore and make them work.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

They’re going to do that anyway. But then this rally wouldn’t have been just about Palin and Beck. I know it wasn’t, really, but the prominent role Beck took in the whole proceedings just makes it too easy to make it ALL about Beck. As I said, this is why you haven’t seen Limbaugh do any Tea Party stuff or join in demonstrations during the health care debate.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Bishop on August 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Likes this!

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

The murderer Al Sharpton is on Geraldo gnashing his teeth right now.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

God is stirring in the hearts of Americans again today. He never left, it has been us that have forgotten Him and today’s rally is a great awakening back to what we knew we needed all along.

ted c on August 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Nicely put.

wi farmgirl on August 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

logis on August 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM

My husband has seen some of the videos that Wallbuilders puts out about our history. He says they are amazing. I think I am getting the American Heritage series for him for Christmas.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Bishop on August 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

That’s the biggest thing to take away from this event, in my opinion.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Agreed. His “religious speak” is starting to creep me out

Agreed.

Wade on August 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM

We are a Christian Nation no matter what zero says, not muslin.

dragondrop on August 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

We are a JUDEO-Christian Nation-not a ‘Christian’ nation.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Well having a lightening rod is sometimes a good thing. What are they going to say about beck they haven’t already said? Limbaugh and Beck have different styles even if they share a significant audience.

I don’t think the right can play to the leftist fiddle out of fear of what they will say, because they are the ‘say anything’ sort.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM
========================================

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Chewy the Lab:Right back at ya,I’m proud,that America is,
my neighbour!!———–:)

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Some Christians including me have been trying to explain our concern about Glenn Beck, a non-Christian, leading a rally that resembled a Christian revival, included Beck’s own suggestion that God financially blessed the rally, and concluded with Amazing Grace.

Back in April, Todd Friel gave a better explanation of our concern here.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Law and government don’t – can’t – make the people good.

yeah, I sorta remember this apostle named Paul who thought the same thing.

John the Libertarian on August 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

…our concern about Glenn Beck, a non-Christian…

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Let it go.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Cut it out. Beck (and Romney, too) are Christians.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Tonight even Geraldo says Beck hit a major home run with his rally today. The race mongering Al Sharpton was on also his show, trying to save face, and it was a truly pathetic attempt.

petefrt on August 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I have to admit, the man is making me start to think about God and rethinking my lack of faith. Maybe it’s good that he’s compelled to preach.

RepubChica on August 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM

it was an incredible speech by that lady. I’d say the best of the day.

ted c on August 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I defer to Alveda King in revising my above statement to include her mention of the unborn. I know she works for Priests for Life and as I was posting above the thought went through my mind that maybe she mentioned something.

However, I fear it’s much too little, much too late. IMHO the rally should have been a call to arms: Amend the Constitution to respect life and RESTORE SANCTITY.

Tragically, as long as we allow abortion, we are the most dishonorable of people.

When will we recognize that abortion is the one thing the Left treasures and visciously protects, above all else? And why? Because abortion is the linchpin, cornerstone and foundation of all their foul deeds. From the blood of innocents they draw their dark power.

Their love of it is beyond grotesque. The “Leader of the Free World” loves it so much that he singlehandedly destroyed a bill that would have prevented infanticide.

Abortion is their “Ring of Power”. Destroy it, and you will destroy them.

tigerlily on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Whether you like Glenn Beck and/or Sarah Palin does not matter today. Today is about recognizing that we live in the greatest country on God’s green earth and it is time to reclaim our heritage. As President John Adams said:

[I]t is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free constitution is pure virtue.

[W]e have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . . Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

It is time for Americans to remember our heritage and to realize the role that God and His Divine Providence played in the establishment of this country as the greatest on Earth. It is time to restore honor.

kingsjester on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Where’s the pic of Michelle on a bike? The missing link will be found there.

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Electrongod:I think its safe to say,OMama Obama is on a
kids model!!——:)
======================================================

From:

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

and to fix it politically is a figure that I don’t see anywhere.

Somewhere there is someone who does not lack
And he has been calling back
Sounding like thunder and in tune with America’s heartbeat
It’s gonna take a Charles Martel Knight to get America back on it’s feet

Through the wind and the chill
And the storm and the flood
Can’t you feel Allen West’s approach
Like a fire in the blood?

PercyB on August 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

We are a Christian Nation no matter what zero says, not muslin.

dragondrop on August 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

We are a JUDEO-Christian Nation-not a ‘Christian’ nation.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

We are a nation in which the majority of people are Christians. “Christian nation” to me seems like an oxymoron. Christ and the State don’t mix.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Thank you, my friend.

kingsjester on August 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Yeah I know. It is fairly knew that they added this to their name but Beck has clearly expressed his believe in Christ.

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Back in April, Todd Friel gave a better explanation of our concern here.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Again, why is only Beck up to something here? How did he fool/coerce the other 240 leaders that hold differing faiths and fundementals betwen themselves? I assume they were predominately Christian though. Why does it have to be something other that what his stated goals were? Give it a rest, why try to tear down what I think was good that was done today?

If you have to persist, what exactly about his message today was bad? Please don`t answer with what is bad about Beck or Mormons.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Queen – Bicycle Race

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Agreed. His “religious speak” is starting to creep me out

Don’t be.

The biggest take home for me is that we are all brothers and sisters in spirit. We all need to, from time to time, draw comfort that we don’t share our burden alone by ourselves.

Even though we think one person is so small (or helpless), but Beck and Palin (and others) showed us what just a single person can do. Beck has/had his calling, Palin hers. Each one of us has our unique role (yet) to play.

Disclaimer: I am not religious at all. And it is different from atheist.

Sir Napsalot on August 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I went over to CNN to see if there were any pictures of the other rally. Some guy tried to pepper spray Westboro Church folks from a moving pickup truck at a Marine’s funeral.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Let it go.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Let God.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

kingsjester on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

+100

Inanemergencydial on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Cut it out. Beck (and Romney, too) are Christians.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Oh my gosh, it’s infighting like this that sometimes makes me wish that I had stayed Jewish.
Oy.

Btw: I consider Glenn and Mitt to be Christians.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Considering MLK was a man of faith, I think a discussion on faith was apropriate for today.

“”No lie can live forever.” I am convinced of this because I believe William Cullen Bryant is right. “Truth pressed to earth will rise again.” I am convinced of this because I think James Russell Lowell is right. “Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne; Yet that scaffold sways the future, And behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, Keeping watch above His own.” Somehow with this faith, we will be able to adjourn the councils of despair and bring new life into the dark chambers of pessimism. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation to a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. This will be a great day. ” – MLK

A great day indeed.

DWB on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Back in April, Todd Friel gave a better explanation of our concern here.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Theological agreement does not have to precede cooperation on moral issues. They are numerous Christian denominations who would constantly be at each others throats while the leftists laughed themselves silly.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

The murderer Al Sharpton is on Geraldo gnashing his teeth right now.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

So true. He knows Beck has made him look like sh*t. What a despicable race hustler is he.

petefrt on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I knew you would find a pic of Michelle. The whole family must have got a good bargain on those kind of bikes.

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Do us all a favor. Just go away. Haven’t you caused enough discontent today?

Nuts4koi on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Let it go.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Let God.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Take your own advice. If God is displeased with what Beck has done, He will bring it all to naught without your help.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

We are a Christian Nation no matter what zero says, not muslin.

dragondrop on August 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

We are a JUDEO-Christian Nation-not a ‘Christian’ nation.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Uh no, if anything we are an Israelite-Christian nation.

Judah was but one tribe.

True_King on August 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I haven’t the time to read previous comments. I found today’s broadcast from D.C. bizarre, yet moving.

Beck, I believe, felt the calling in his heart and answered.

Not what I was expecting, to be sure.

He could have better served the conservative cause most likely with reason and rhetoric, but he was pulled in another direction from Elsewhere, and I can’t fault that.

Smirk away, smirky smirkers; I’m sure you’re there. It’ll be wasted on me; I’m otherwise occupied.

That’s all.

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

tigerlily on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I think, in a sense, it actually was a call to arms. The spark of it if nothing else.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM
Second that.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

bluemarlin:)

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Second that.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Me too!!!!

tigerlily on August 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Agreed. His “religious speak” is starting to creep me out

Don’t be.

The biggest take home for me is that we are all brothers and sisters in spirit.

Disclaimer: I am not religious at all. And it is different from atheist.

Sir Napsalot on August 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Thank you. I, agnostic, could do without so much crying, but am huge, huge Beck ditto-head nonetheless.

petefrt on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Uh no, if anything we are an Israelite-Christian nation.

Judah was but one tribe.

True_King on August 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

That works.
Next time I speak to my mother I’ll refer to her as my favorite ‘Israelite’. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Electrongod on August 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM

That was their name all along, actually.

The lamest thing about sectarians condemning each other is that each and every one of them has the rhetorical “authority” to declare all but their own personal study group to be heretics, and not one issues their bile while contemplating that they are just as easily voted off the island their own selves.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Well having a lightening rod is sometimes a good thing…. I don’t think the right can play to the leftist fiddle out of fear of what they will say, because they are the ’say anything’ sort.
sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 PM

The liberal propagada hate-o-meter is always pegged. Their rhetoric, likewise, is always precisely as insane as they believe they can get away with.

They can never change the volume or intensity of their propaganda in even the slightest degree; all they can do is change the TARGET of their attacks.

That’s why I find the “conservatives” who pile on in attacking the left’s current targets of choice especially reprehensible.

We are in the trenches, and these people are sticking their heads up and taking all the flak. I have absolutely no patience whatsoever for the cowards who keep their heads buried firmly in the dirt and snipe at the braver soldiers’ backs because “they’re just making the enemy mad at us.”

logis on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

CBS news radio reports Dems were NERVOUSLY watching the Beck rally.

They said the Dems are terrified there is a resurrection of the right that will manifest in political activism.

artist on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

kingsjester on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Very good post, well said and thank you!

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Bishop on August 28, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Bishop: Very good observation,yes,I bet that the Rally only
represented about 5 to 10 percent of the Patriots,
er Americans!:)

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Indeed. It was a call to knees.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Al Sharpton and his ilk are finished and exposed. Glenn Beck had more black people at his rally than Sharpton had at his!

milemarker2020 on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Thank you. I actually wrote that this morning before the rally.

kingsjester on August 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

artist on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I’d say that’s a reasonable fear on their part.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM

artist on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Their fear is well placed but I think they should add the GOP being scared as well. This rally today shook them up as well, if it did not they are not thinking very far forward!

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM

hillbillyjim on August 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

As long as he catches O-rats, his dialectic matters little.

semloh on August 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

logis on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Well said! Groveling never helps with those sorts of people.

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I criticized Beck somewhat. I just don’t find anti-Mormonism to be a legitimate argument.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

logis on August 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Me too, logis. The pilers on don’t seem to realize that, if we don’t win this, it is the end game. We no longer have the luxury of eating our own.

petefrt on August 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I don’t see a damn thing wrong with Christians, Jews, and … hell, even Hindu’s banding together politically. They’ll either hang together or hang separately.

They don’t have to agree on every issue. Is there a higher power? Check! Okay … we can talk then.

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Most here are not “Beck Kool Aid Drinkers”, just don’t understand your harping on Mormonism. There were members of many different denominations on that stage and the was no “recruitment” of any specific faith. You are missing the forest because of that tree in your eye.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:19 PM

artist on August 28, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Is this the same CBS that reported 87,000 people at the GB rally today. lol

RepubChica on August 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Theological purity is nice but you need allies to win. That is critical thinking.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

*Waving* at holmes spelled backwards. Always lovely to “see” you!!!

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Terrie:The Concerns,of Mormons,was raised and dealt with
during the Republican Primaries,where as the Left,
were bashing both Christian,Huckabee as an example,
and Mormons,Mitt Romney!!!

If any concerns should be looked at,it is the Social
Justice Worshipping at the Alter of Liberalism,that
is real right now!!

America,in the last two years has seen it,and felt
it!!!

canopfor on August 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Then quit invoking some conspiracy theory that Beck must be up to. What specifically about the messaging today do you disagree with?

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

RINO’s and GOP noodles can walk in fear too, you are not immune from voter retribution on election day just because you wear an “R” next to your name.

Bishop on August 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Oh come on, Terrie. As one who usually appreciates your post, that one was truly disappointing.

petefrt on August 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Only Beck Kool Aid drinkers are welcome here? I miss the critical thinkers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Beck did a good thing here today … that’s not kool aide – that’s critical thinking.

Get rid of the religious message – you still have half a million, mostly Conservative citizens of this nation showing up on a Saturday in August. That sends a message to the Left that they have overstepped.

There’s your critical thinking – there’s no downside here at all.

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM

The murderer Al Sharpton is on Geraldo gnashing his teeth right now.

Maquis on August 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Wow, I bet that’s a sight.

A racist and a sexist, both of them attention wh0res. They must have gotten the extra large camera to capture those two together.

BacaDog on August 28, 2010 at 11:23 PM

If the 9/12 rally is as large the Left is going to really become unglued.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM