Open thread: The Restoring Honor rally

posted at 10:29 am on August 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

This is already underway, but for those of you who cannot attend the Glenn Beck “Restoring Honor” rally, you can watch it here, live through Ustream TV. I’ll be preparing for my own show this afternoon, but in the meantime, enjoy and feel free to comment. Will this truly be apolitical, as Glenn Beck insists, or will it turn into a political demonstration? Or, rather, will Beck’s political opponents turn it into a political rally themselves? All those questions are being answered right now. And don’t forget to donate to the Special Operations Warriors Fund, the charity that Beck and the rally support today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11

“God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise and He has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things that are mighty”. 1 Corinthians 1:27

I have been a Christian since 1980 and I am always amazed when God does something new, unexpected and out of the ordinary…which is what I witnessed today. All of the ministers that showed up ( I know Dr. Tom Mullins, who was on Glenn Beck’s program yesterday) are sensing that God is using Glenn Beck to bring a message to America that the church has not been able to bring. I believe they are marveling at today themselves.

Dr. King was a man of God who was appointed for a mission. Suddenly, with his connections, platform and completely unexpectedly, Glenn Beck steps out with a God appointed mission too, and I must confess, I am stunned. But when the church does not get the message out, God will find a mouth that will-enter Glenn Beck!

All believers needs to keep Beck in their prayers. He has opened a door that cannot be closed now, and there is no going back for him. The spiritual war may become more intense in his life-so pray for him please. I will be, and I will be watching to see what Beck’s next assignment is with great interest…

djn on August 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Phil Johnson of Pastor John MacArthur’s Grace Community Church identified these 4 key differences between Christianity and Mormonism:

1. The issue of authority. Christians believe the Bible is God’s authoritative, inerrant, unchanging and complete self-revelation (Jude 3). Scripture is the touchstone to which all other truth-claims must be brought (Isaiah 8:20). The sole and sufficient authority by which all controversies in spiritual matters are to be determined is none other than God’s Spirit speaking through Scripture.
By contrast, Mormons consider The Book of Mormon, The Pearl of Great Price, and Doctrine and Covenants as additional authoritative revelation, thereby undermining the true authority of Scripture and violating the principle of Revelation 22:18.

2. The doctrine of God. Christians believe there is one God who eternally exists in three co-equal Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Mormons reject the doctrine of the Trinity, believing that there are many worlds controlled by different gods.

3. The supremacy of Christ. Christians believe Jesus Christ is pre-existent God who became a man in His incarnation while maintaining His full deity. Mormons claim Jesus was a “spirit child” of Mary and Elohim (and the brother of Lucifer) who has now been elevated to the level of deity.

4. The means of justification. Christians believe justification is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. Mormons believe a person’s works in this life will determine his or her status in the life to come, and that “salvation” is actually a progression toward godhood.

Mormons certainly can be good citizens and great Americans, but they are not Christian.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Part of the strategy of Marxism is destroy the family. The traditional family is what built up the wealth of this earth. The very idea of changing is an attack on the history and culture of greatest nation.

PrezHussein on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

At least Catholicism doesn’t condemn other Christian churches as “abominations”.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Given that the inquisition wasn’t abolished until 1834 during Joseph Smith’s lifetime I find your protest a bit silly.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I don’t know what Glenn Beck is up to, but as a Christian I am very concerned.
Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

As an American I’m concerned that you’re concerned. The few Mormons I know are nothing if not patriotic. Wish the same could be said about my Episcopalian friends…

Buy Danish on August 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

BTW: how did Rev Jackson let this one get by without a rally of his own?

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

He got lucky and did not organize one and make even a bigger fool of himself. Unless of course he handled the fool part on CNN, I did not watch.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I’ve always been creeped out by the comfy chair!

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

I think the “corny” comment from JetBoy was just bad timing…

Buy Danish on August 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I’ll clear up my “corny” comment…It had nothing to do with what was happening at the moment on stage. It was directed to the whole “feel” of this rally.

You won’t find a bigger flag-waving pro-American than me. I’m all up for patriotism. All I’m saying is that it felt, as I’ve been oft quoted today, more like a revival than a “return to honor” rally. That’s it. Some people read into that as I’m some anti-Christian leftard troll.

All I can do is submit my opinions, and try to clear up any confusion.

JetBoy:

You are a crappy voice for gay conservatives (much less Catholicism). Please quit while heavily behind, gurl.

xoxo

lansing quaker on August 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Why?

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

They also have great potluck dinners.

darwin-t on August 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I tried again.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Just got home from the rally. It was incredible. I was at the 9/12 event and incredibly, this was even bigger. It was packed so solid from the Lincoln Memorial to the WWII Memorial (~ 3/4 mile?) that you could barely cross the mall to get to the port-a-potties. From the WWII Memorial to the Washington Monument (Another 1/4 mile?) it was packed also, but not quite as dense.

Just as with all the other American patriot rallies, I saw no problems—and no garbage left behind. Lots of friendly faces.

The most memorable moment: Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the Star Spangled Banner with a million others. Not many dry eyes—incredibly moving and a feeling I will never forget.

IrishEi on August 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I guess “incredibly” is my favorite word today. lol

IrishEi on August 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

djn on August 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Very nicely put.

I’ll also add that in the Bible (Numbers 22:1-35), God honored His word out of the mouth of a donkey (Oh no, that’s the Democrat’s mascot!), and there have been a few “jachasses” since, blessed with the same thing.

And Glenn’s not too proud to see himself in that context, either.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM

That’s because it recognizes no other Christian churches. It calls itself “the only ark of safety outside of which there is no salvation.”

All non-Catholics are deemed “heretics” repeated by Popes.

I could go on, but I’ve learned that quoting Popes and Coucils is somehow “Catholic bashing.”

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I think the point was that in order to “return to honor” you have to be a better person, and to do that you need to be closer to God.

Not sure I agree with that, but I’m not offended by it either.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I’ve always been creeped out by the comfy chair!

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Please don’t poke me with the soft cushions!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I think JetBoy is a very good voice for gay conservatism.

Even though I disagree with alot of what he says.

But JetBoy – Beck believes that, in order to restore “honor” – you must have a set of guiding principles that you believe in. Many of the founding fathers expressed that, they did the best in crafting this republic that they could do – but it would not stand if it were attended to by those without a belief system in God.

Therefore – Beck believes that, if we are to return to a strong Republic, we must first return to God. I’m not really that religious myself – but I think he is right.

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

According to WashedupPost, the race rally attendees were:

- Code Pink and other anti-war protesters.
- Jaime Contreras, president of SEIU-32BJ.
- Representatives are here from various District political campaigns, labor unions and churches, as well as radio listeners to Joe Madison and the Rev. Al Sharpton.

Speakers:
- Education Secretary Arne Duncan
- LaRaza
- Benjamin Jealous, president of the NAACP.

faraway on August 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Just got back from the rally. Holy Shit! Don’t know how many where there, but it was so dense that my wife began to panic. At 9:45 a.m. there still were thousands of people walking up the bridge. The crowd was packed all the way to the Washington Memorial. Very impressive. Most well behaved event I have ever been at. You could hear a pin drop when Sarah spoke.

imadds on August 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Terrie is right! MLK specifically left out those filthy Mormon’s for a reason!

“When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, “Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!”

All men, except Mormons, are created equal…..

/moron

DWB on August 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Please don’t poke me with the soft cushions!

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

The early Monty Python stuff is hard to beat.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Good luck, Al.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

It’s not Catholic Bashing – I would just say you’re misinformed – or really not caught up with the contemporary church.

Hell, when I was growing up Southern Baptists refused to call themselves Protestants because they believed they were the only Church.

And oral sex is still outlawed in Mississippi – though no one gets arrested for it.

There’s a lot of written history out there that Catholics aren’t proud of – none of it’s been overturned – it’s just overlooked – sort of the way oral sex bans are in Mississippi. :D

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

All non-Catholics are deemed “heretics” repeated by Popes.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I just got done with RCIA in April. They stopped teaching that non-Catholics were heretics after Vatican II.
My Calvinist husband is certainly ‘Christian’ he’s just not ‘Catholic’.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

imadds on August 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Hi imadds! Me too—see my 8:29pm.

Remember when they asked people to text SOWF and donate $10 to the Special Ops Warriors? Just read on Beck’s site that they raised OVER $5,000,000.00! Simply unbelievable.

IrishEi on August 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

You could hear a pin drop when Sarah spoke.

imadds on August 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Considering the crowd size, I’d say that beats all those old E.F.Hutton commercials.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Not sure I agree with that, but I’m not offended by it either.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I think JetBoy is a very good voice for gay conservatism.

Even though I disagree with alot of what he says.

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

OK, I do see that. Perhaps I was simply expecting something different. Obviously, I would hope all see, I’m not putting down religion…especially Christianity…down. It’s just, IMHO, religion is a personal and spiritual issue, not a prerequisite to being a “good American” with good American values.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Dr. Phil has led you astray. Glenn Beck believes that grace is the only thing that saved him and will save him.

PrezHussein on August 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM

IrishEi on August 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM

If it’s the right word, than it’s the right word.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM

EVENT DESCRIPTION

Throughout history America has seen many great leaders and noteworthy citizens change her course. It is through their personal virtues and by their example that we are able to live as a free people. On August 28, come celebrate America by honoring our heroes, our heritage and our future.

Join the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and many more for this non-political event that pays tribute to America’s service personnel and other upstanding citizens who embody our nation’s founding principles of integrity, truth and honor.

Our freedom is possible only if we remain virtuous. Help us restore the values that founded this great nation. On August, 28th, come join us in our pledge to restore honor at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC.

Integrity, truth , honor, personal virtues, virtuous, pledge to restore, founding principles.

How can any be really surprised that religion is at the base of his message?

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

All non-Catholics are deemed “heretics” repeated by Popes.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Read ALL of Pope Pius IX. There is salvation outside the church.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I was on the field to the left of the reflecting pool as you face the Lincoln, and it was packed front to back …all the way back to the WWII memorial.

a perfect cap for this day…. There is really something amazing happening folks…

ted c on August 28, 2010 at 7:12 PM

At the end, the crowd went up the hill across the street towards the Washington Monument. The shaded area of the Monument was packed.
I was just past the halfway point of the reflecting pool down on the left side, in the shaded grassy area. Maybe we need a secret identifier to let people know we’re Hot Air posters. I wanted to say “Thanks for all your posts ted.”

NaCly dog on August 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /var/www/hotair.com/wp/wp-content/object-cache.php on line 203

faraway on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

There’s a whole lot of Glenn Beck Kool Aid being passed around Hot Air today.

In case you missed it, Glenn Beck said today that getting $600,000+ right after he decided to hold this revival/rally was a sign from God. So what exactly is Beck’s mission here? For years he has been appearing at Christian venues to lead avowed Christians in a song, Amazing Grace, with lyrics and a history that his own church does not accept or teach.

I am a conservative Christian, but I don’t worship my pastor. I don’t worship Dr. King. I worship my God. I love my country, but I don’t let any conservative do my thinking for me. Whenever anyone tugs at my heart strings or my purse strings, my critical thinking skills kick in.

I understand the difference between politics and faith. I know why Jesus came — to save us — and it had nothing to do with politics. I have voted for non-Christian conservatives and I’ve even voted for non-Christian moderates because I live in California, as I will again this November.

If today’s revival had been a transparently multi-faith rally, it could have succeeded in fostering political unity on the Judeo-Christian values present at our founding. But Beck’s ego or whatever is driving him turned it into a theatre of Christian faith and a mockery of God.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Read ALL of Pope Pius IX. There is salvation outside the church.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Shhhhhhh you will ruin the narrative.

CWforFreedom on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

It’s not Catholic Bashing – I would just say you’re misinformed – or really not caught up with the contemporary church…

HondaV65 on August 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Today… hey, the church has changed! It no longer holds as absolute truth what it did from AD 400-1940! Modern revelation is the mark of growth and truth.

Tomorrow… you must look to the 2000 year wisdom of the Church and its unchanging faith! Antiquity is the evidence of truth.

I guess all those infallible Pope and Councils were wrong for centuries. How do you that they weren’t right and that the recent Popes are wrong? And have you read Vat II? It states that if you knowingly leave or refuse to enter in the Catholic Church you cannot be saved. It also affirms everything, including the many anathemas, in the Council of Trent.

And you have a slight problem because Leo XIII declared only 100 years ago that the clear teachings of the Church can never be opened up to reinterpretation due to greater understanding.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Not sure I agree with that, but I’m not offended by it either.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Exactly!

There is NO WAY I’d ever be accused of being religous, but I didn’t find any of it offending.

BallisticBob on August 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Duly noted, we will watch him like a hawk.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I’m glad you weren’t at Dr. King’s speech. You would be really concerned and outraged.

faraway on August 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Shhhhhhh you will ruin the narrative.

CWforFreedom on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

You owe me a new screen

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Read ALL of Pope Pius IX. There is salvation outside the church.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Not “outside” but “unknowingly through” the church.

So if I believe that Christ is God, that he dies for my sins, that he rose from the dead, that he is coming again… but I refuse to join the RCC I [quote] “cannot be saved.” But Muslims through “striving to lead a good life” can “achieve” salvation unknowingly through the RCC though they deny the cross, the deity, the resurrection of Christ. You MUST be baptized… You MUST get grace from the sacraments… You MUST have suins absolved by a priest… unless you’re a good Muslim, etc.

Nuance to the max.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I joined the Church in April.
My parish is politically middle of the road.
What we were taught that there are Christians and Catholic Christians.
I have been a Catholic less than 5 months and am still leaning about my faith.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM

mankai – geez get off it. I do sense just a little hate.

CWforFreedom on August 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

A “mockery of God?” Please.

How so? Who was mocking God? Was it something that was said? Or are you somehow able to look into the speakers’ hearts?

notropis on August 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I agree with you there. Just that, as I remarked earlier, when Illinois has consecutive governors going to jail, and in Louisiana it’s important to vote for the crook because the other guy’s a KKK leader, well then there’s a bigger issue than a couple of corrupt politicians. It means we as a society are corrupt. If this rally is a starting point to getting us back on track, then I’m fine with it. And it’s going to be a generational thing.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Duly noted, we will watch him like a hawk.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Don`t we then have to watch the other 240 people that were on that stage with him. Why only Beck? They have to be up to no good as well then, right, what are they up to?

I asked her earlier, why does he have to be up to anything other than what he stated?

It was a good program and a good message, I liked it and I was not offended.

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

What are you the Sanhedrin?

PrezHussein on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I was educated in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and taught Religious Ed Classes (Sacraments and Confirmation) in two diocese. They’re not telling you everything.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Amen.

Well said!

notropis on August 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Liberty of conscience is madness.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I (a Catholic) know jack about Mormons beyond that the many I have known are outstanding citizens and folks that had values that I shared.

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I saw that soon after you posted, but I got “side-tracked”.

That’s the kind of detailed differences I was looking for, and thanks for the time you put into it.

What I would need next is a face to face with Mormon Rep, and ask them if they believe “Jesus Is Lord”.
And do they believe that ‘accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour’ brings about instant salvation and relationship with God?

Number 4 in your list would indicate that they don’t believe this. But for now I’m going to give them the benefit of my doubt until I can verify.
Please understand, that is not to cast dispersions on you or your credibility.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I don’t know what Glenn Beck is up to, but as a Christian I am very concerned.
Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Why don’t you take you concern tolling self elsewhere? Today s not your day.

Tomorrow isn’t ether.

katy the mean old lady on August 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I must repeat, since posting had been overwhelmed. Rehtorical question: any mention of the $5M+ raised for SOF bubbas? (That Holder and the IRS are certainly auditing as we speak…and, BTW, good…if there is chicanery, then charge).

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I agree. I don’t have a problem with Mormons.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

We receive the call to Our Great Peace.

Will we remember it is in perpetuity?

I.

That there shall be a Christian and Universal Peace, and a perpetual, true, and sincere Amity, between his Sacred Imperial Majesty, and his most Christian Majesty; as also, between all and each of the Allies, and Adherents of his said Imperial Majesty, the House of Austria, and its Heirs, and Successors; but chiefly between the Electors, Princes, and States of the Empire on the one side; and all and each of the Allies of his said Christian Majesty, and all their Heirs and Successors, chiefly between the most Serene Queen and Kingdom of Swedeland, the Electors respectively, the Princes and States of the Empire, on the other part. That this Peace and Amity be observ’d and cultivated with such a Sincerity and Zeal, that each Party shall endeavour to procure the Benefit, Honour and Advantage of the other; that thus on all sides they may see this Peace and Friendship in the Roman Empire, and the Kingdom of France flourish, by entertaining a good and faithful Neighbourhood.

II.

That there shall be on the one side and the other a perpetual Oblivion, Amnesty, or Pardon of all that has been committed since the beginning of these Troubles, in what place, or what manner soever the Hostilitys have been practis’d, in such a manner, that no body, under any pretext whatsoever, shall practice any Acts of Hostility, entertain any Enmity, or cause any Trouble to each other; neither as to Persons, Effects and Securitys, neither of themselves or by others, neither privately nor openly, neither directly nor indirectly, neither under the colour of Right, nor by the way of Deed, either within or without the extent of the Empire, notwithstanding all Covenants made before to the contrary: That they shall not act, or permit to be acted, any wrong or injury to any whatsoever; but that all that has pass’d on the one side, and the other, as well before as during the War, in Words, Writings, and Outrageous Actions, in Violences, Hostilitys, Damages and Expences, without any respect to Persons or Things, shall be entirely abolish’d in such a manner that all that might be demanded of, or pretended to, by each other on that behalf, shall be bury’d in eternal Oblivion.

How easily the Left has forgotten the Great Peace, and violate it constantly and keep reminding of the wars before the Great Peace but never of the Great Peace and that they are to adhere to it.

They have forgotten what it means to be civilized and adhere to treaties, especially those in perpetuity, as it is up to each of us to adhere to it… we depend upon no others to uphold our peace for us: it is given to us as a great responsibility as individuals. The violations must end, or our end will be most uncivil if not, indeed, uncivilized.

ajacksonian on August 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

27,600 heads exploded at HuffPo

faraway on August 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

And God himself set you up to judge my testimony of Jesus Christ? You determine the reach of the redeeming sacrifice of my Savior and Redeemer? It is you who has the standing to judge the hearts of humankind, who gets the benefit of the atonement and who does not? I find your presumptions shocking!

You can stop listening to your badly misinformed pastor now. He has no more standing before God than any of the rest of us! He has such a small amount of truth in his explanation of Mormon beliefs that it is hardly worth correcting you. But for those who don’t know any better:

This person does not have an inkling of what they are talking about.

If you want to know what Mormons believe don’t listen to people who get paid to bash us. Go to http://www.mormons.org or http://www.lds.org or ask for missionaries

Many ministers have felt threatened by our doctrines and have decided in order to maintain their incomes (we do not have a paid clergy)they must develop convoluted, twisted, ways to explain our doctrine in the most offensive ways.

Don’t be fooled by such as these.

The fact that they feel so threatened that they have to even have this kind of thing should tell you something.

Mormons actually spend little time worrying about what others believe and much time trying to follow the admonition of the Savior, to love one another, and allow God to be the judge.

petunia on August 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM

There’s a whole lot of Glenn Beck Kool Aid being passed around Hot Air today.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I’ve had to read through enough of your sanctimonious drivel already. Don’t you have a hair shirt you need to go put on?

Sugarbuzz on August 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Not “outside” but “unknowingly through” the church.

Nuance to the max.

mankai on August 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Who would accuse you of being a Catholic-basher?

Where do you get this? Seeing that I’m going out in a bit, and won’t continue another history/CCC thing, according to the Catholic Church, all Christian churches are our “brothers and sisters in Christ”. There is salvation outside the Church of Rome. It’s when you know that the Catholic Church is the “true church” and turn against it, you relinquish salvation.

Why am I Catholic? <<Still a great short vid.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Terrie, for cying out loud, you are making a mockery of yourself in making that statement.

Aye carumba

What are you the Sanhedrin?

PrezHussein on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Ok, you got a chuckle out of me with that. :)

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I don’t know what Glenn Beck is up to, but as a Christian I am very concerned.
Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM

What is your fear??

CWforFreedom on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Well said!

notropis on August 28, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Thanks. Good night all.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

bluemarlin on August 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

We could split up and watch all of them…..or we could enjoy a beautiful day with a beautiful message and not imagine sinister things that weren’t there. I’m with you, I refuse to be tempted into making it anything it wasn’t. You know the old saying no good deed goes unpunished? It was made because there is a Gloomy Gus in every crowd.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Thank you and I appreciate your comment.

I participate in street evangelism and regularly encounter non-Christians trying to confuse believers and non-believers. Also, not all Christians dismiss Catholics as non-believers.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Thanks. Good night all.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Good night John Boy.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Thanks. Good night all.

rbj on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Good night…

Jet, out. Peace.

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

You know the thread is dead when it becomes simply an exercise in wacking other folks denomination or faith…

JIMV on August 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

an exercise in wacking other folks denomination or faith…

JIMV on August 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Agreed- now off to the other Beck thread

CWforFreedom on August 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Thank you and I appreciate your comment.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM

These two questions below (I retrieved from my earlier post) are very much the yardstick I use in qualifying (or disqualifying) any group as “Christian”.
There are an infinite number of other details (doctrines) I might disagree with them over, but if they agree with those two basic fundamentals I would have to define them as Christian believers.

. . . ask them if they believe “Jesus Is Lord”.

But then, I’m not perfect either.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I’m a born-again Christian, and I didn’t see what you’re citing here. Yes, I’m leery of Beck’s Mormon religion on the whole, but I see his personal faith as being honest. On his radio show on Friday, he talked much more about God and America’s Christian heritage than he did about his own accomplishments or agenda.

Terrie, if we wait for the perfect leaders/ prophets to ask God’s forgiveness on our nation, we’ll wait a very long time. Remember, Jesus used weaklings like Peter and Paul to accomplish great deeds–folks who the “pure” religions of that day considered lesser-than, inferior. I’m not calling Beck an apostle, believe me. I agree that we should keep our skepticism of Mormonism on the whole, but don’t be Pharisaical in your dismissal of God’s work in His world.

Grace_is_sufficient on August 28, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Anyone else notice that Glenn Beck was wearing a bullet-proof vest?

David2.0 on August 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Cindy–
Still nothing.

conservative_pilgrim “at sign” mac “dot” com

Try that. No spaces between anything. Hopefully I won’t get spammed! :)

conservative pilgrim on August 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I may have to watch chrissy’s show on monday to see how he spins this…

excellent pics…glad there were HA folk in the crowd…

we were with you in spirit!

cmsinaz on August 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM

JIMV on August 28, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, and it’s obvious what the problem is.

Nobody’s perfect . . . . . . except ME!

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

NaCly dog on August 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I wish I had that cool Hot Air hat that I been wanting for so long. Thought I saw them in the “Hot Air Store” at one time….oh wait!…

maybe Ed’s intern can get right on that.

ted c on August 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Anyone else notice that Glenn Beck was wearing a bullet-proof vest?
David2.0 on August 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I didn’t notice, but I’ve no doubt about it.
listens2glenn on August 28th, 2010 at 9:41 pm

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM

JetBoy on August 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I’m with you on this.

angryed on August 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

That’s what I am using! So weird I thought maybe I had the mac deal wrong. So very weird. Folks are pretty good, I don’t think hawkdriver every got anything weird when he gave me his email.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM

in addition to focusing on restoring “HONOR”, Beck was also focused on restoring the phrase: “endowed by their CREATOR”

it’s a lot more comforting to be endowed with your rights by a “CREATOR” (whether you believe or not), than to rely on Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi to GRANT you rights!

Eh?

if you’re relying on Obama and Piglosi to grant you your rights…you are totally screwed!

Justrand on August 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Justrand on August 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM

What a man can give, a man can take away.

sharrukin on August 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Yeah, and it’s obvious what the problem is.

Nobody’s perfect . . . . . . except ME!

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Christians don’t want to make people feel imperfect or insufficient. They want to equip them to be saved. It is the highest form of Christian love.

Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Beck is turning into a cultist. He fancies himself as a divinely inspired prophet of biblical magnitude.

FloatingRock on August 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Snort
In the spirit of the day, and
in all brotherly honesty, yer
stuff smells more like FloatingTurd!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on August 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

@Cindy—

I don’t know. Nothing is showing up. Well, try again.

conservative pilgrim on August 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I was at the rally and have not read through the comments, but as an actual particpant, I can say I am not scared about Beck’s being a Morman, it was an electric event, peaceful, spiritual, patriotic and charitable. I have stories to tell about DC today, but too tired to go into it all now. All I will say is the media will report we weren’t there, just like we weren’t there on 9/12. We are phantoms, according to OUR government.

Willie on August 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Believe it or not, I fell asleep in a recliner last night with my computer on my lap and was reading HotAir for the first time all day. I slept through the night with the computer on my lap and didn’t get a chance to look at HotAir again today until just now. I only read the comments on this page. I got side tracked from a link I followed from a HotAir thread from yesterday:

This is a VERY LONG read, and I tried to read this during Beck’s rally on CSPAN this morning. Someone who went to the rally is who woke me up so I turned on the tv in time to see the whole thing. I recorded it and watched Glenn’s speech a second time. This article requires full concentration, so I put it aside until this evening when I could read it thoroughly and absorb the message. I am glad I did because it helped me put the 8/28 event in perspective.

I have been watching Glenn this year on his fox show. I tell everyone it is a combination history, economics, government, and sociology class all rolled into 5 hours a week. I know Glenn has been meandering around in his lessons, but I think he is finally onto what we need to do. If you read this American Spectator article, it really falls into place.

While Glenn is talking about restoring Honor back into our country, as well as our founding fathers’ vision and values, this article spells out clearly what the target is to take America back: the American Ruling Class.

Read this article, it will overwhelm you because you will realize just how much work we have to do, but I remain VERY hopeful that this election in 2010 is the beginning of grabbing our country back from the Ruling Class and the Progressives. I particularly like how this article started out explaining how all the sameness from cross fertilization in the academics as created this ruling class mind meld, which is different from what we had 100 years ago when each area of the country was very distinct. Now our snobby ruling class pretty much is the same drab smug elitist no matter where you are in the country.

2010 is the beginning. We need to win the elections from the top down on the ballot.

On a side note, I think the argument about Mormonism here is just a distraction from the REAL ISSUE, our country’s future is in peril and we need to right the ship. I don’t care what church Glenn goes to. I was raised a Methodist and I completely have distanced myself from that church because of their progressive attitudes.

On a second side note, Sarah Palin is awesome. I believe there is no coincidence that she was there today, I think she is also being “called” to save this country. She is a terrific warrior because she is taking all the arrows, bullets, and hits that the elitists in the ruling class are shooting at her, yet she keeps focused on the mission and absorbs the hits like they are nothing. I admire her with the highest of respect.

karenhasfreedom on August 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

conservative pilgrim on August 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM

What is mac.com anyway?

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Willie on August 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I look forward to your reports.

Cindy Munford on August 28, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I watched the rally on the Facebook page. I thought it was well done and I thought it incorporated a nice tribute to Rev. Martin Luther King. In my mind the most important part of the King speech was his call for us to focus upon the content of our characters, not the color of our skin. Beck’s rally was totally consistent with this call.

tartan on August 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Anyone else notice that Glenn Beck was wearing a bullet-proof vest?

David2.0 on August 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Yes, I did. I think its a sad commentary on the left when someone has a rally, a religious rally at that, and Glenn had to wear one.

Its always threats coming from the left; NBPP, SEIU, ACORN, anti-war wackos, etc.

Mirimichi on August 28, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I also noticed that at the end of the rally, Glenn spoke for the last 1/2 hour and didn’t have a teleprompter.

Mirimichi on August 28, 2010 at 10:45 PM

. . . ask them if they believe “Jesus Is Lord”.

But then, I’m not perfect either.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Although I don’t meet the criteria, I will say that I have great respect and admiration for every Christian that stood up to be counted at this historic event, regardless of denomination.

Gang-of-One on August 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I don’t have time right now to correct all four points that Phil Johnson of Grace Community Church made about Mormons, but I do feel the need to sit down for a minute and correct one issue in this point. Mormons absolutely believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior and we believe in grace. If we could save ourselves, we wouldn’t need a Savior. No one will be saved in the kingdom of God without Jesus Christ, no matter what we do on earth. Our works cannot save us. The name of the Mormon Church is The Church of Jesus Christ; when we pray, we pray in the name of Jesus Christ; when we are baptized, we are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ; and when we take the sacrament on Sunday, we do it in the name of Jesus Christ. Good works are an outward manifestation of an inward faith. If faith in Jesus Christ doesn’t compel the person to do good works, then the acceptance of Jesus Christ was only superficial. Faith is active; having it should make the person want to be a true disciple of Jesus. That’s why James 2:26 states: “For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” And also James 2:14-17. Faith should fill that person up and overflow on to anyone with whom he comes in contact. It doesn’t mean that the follower of Jesus is perfect. It just means that he wants to change his life to be better; to be the best that God can make of him. Eventually, in our journey as Jesus’ disciples, not only should we want to do good works to show others what good God can do through us, we should also want to change ourselves. Our vices, bad habits, bad choices should become less attractive to us and doing good should become more appealing, because the love of Jesus has moved in us so that we love ourselves more.

I, as a Mormon, do not believe that I can be saved through good works and I don’t know any Mormon who believes it. Only the grace of Jesus Christ can save us.

desertliving on August 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

karenhasfreedom on August 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Followed that link, copy & pasted it into a MS Word doc, with size 12 “Times New Roman” font setting it took 25 pages to hold the article.
From the skimming I’ve done so far, it does look well worth the read.

Thanks for posting it.

listens2glenn on August 28, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Mormon……Schmormon….

I don’t care what religion Beck currently professes. I see the fruits of his work……..I saw it today…..and todays’ fruits were wonderful.

Full video available here:

PappyD61 on August 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

So what exactly is Beck’s mission here?
Terrie on August 28, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Wild guess, you were the “slow kid”?

Glenn Beck said today that getting $600,000+ FOR SOWF right after deciding to hold this rally, and the fact that this rally raised OVER $5,000,000.00 today FOR SOWF!

I would say his “mission” here is to raise money FOR SOWF!
Seriously, how difficult was that to figure out?

DSchoen on August 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Incidentally, the reason the crowd swelled as Sarah was talking was because the DC Metro was bogged down. We had well over three thousand people trying to board the Metro at the New Carrolton line this morning at 8:15. The line stretched for about three hundred yards. We showed up then and couldn’t board the metro until 10:00. Showed up at the rally at about the time Sarahcuda was speaking. I look forward to seeing what I missed. But it was great to be there. The crowds were huge and very patriotic and amicable. Anyone looking for those hate-filled right-wing nuts must have been sorely disappointed. (Of course some spin it that way anyway!) And once again, we left the mall spotless except for overflowing trash cans.
It was really a “Turn Back to God, America” meeting. Couldn’t agree more.

Christian Conservative on August 28, 2010 at 11:43 PM