Obama: Iraq begins and ends with I, I, I

posted at 9:03 am on August 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, I wrote that Barack Obama had an opportunity to at least share a little credit for the close of combat operations in Iraq with George W. Bush, who wrote the plan for drawing down American troops in Iraq that Obama has followed to the letter, rather than go for Obama’s repeatedly promised all-out 16-month retreat plan from 2007. If his weekly address is any indication, the American electorate will have to wait for some other opportunity for its Chief Executive to show a little class. Try to count all of the self-references as Obama sprains his shoulder through overly enthusiastic backpatting:

On Tuesday, after more than seven years, the United States of America will end its combat mission in Iraq and take an important step forward in responsibly ending the Iraq war.

As a candidate for this office, I pledged I would end this war. As president, that is what I am doing. We have brought home more than 90,000 troops since I took office. We have closed or turned over to Iraq hundreds of bases. In many parts of the country, Iraqis have already taken the lead for security.

In the months ahead, our troops will continue to support and train Iraqi forces, partner with Iraqis in counterterrorism missions, and protect our civilian and military efforts. But the bottom line is this: the war is ending. Like any sovereign, independent nation, Iraq is free to chart its own course. And by the end of next year, all of our troops will be home.

Total mentions of Bush: zero. Total mentions of victory: zero. Total mentions of “I” in speech: six, including the three in the excerpt above.

And that promise to have all troops home at the end of 2011? It’s certainly possible, although very unwise. The Iraqis still don’t have much of an air force or navy, and it will take years to build both. They face pressures from Iran and Syria, and while their army can maintain internal security now, they won’t be any match for Iran or Syria alone, let alone together, if the two countries decide to subjugate Baghdad. I’d put that promise in the easier-said-than-done category, where the promise to close Gitmo wound up. If we’re not involved in combat operations, the political pressure to withdraw those forces drops to about the same level of class shown by Barack Obama in this address.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

6 ‘I’s you won’t hear from President Obama:

-I opposed the surge that brought victory.
-I’m using Bush’s timeline for withdrawal.
-I refuse to give the troops the credit they deserve.
-I refuse to change my timeline based off events on the ground (because it’s a politically calculated date).
-I won’t admit that there are still plenty of combat troops among the 50,000 still in Iraq.
-I did everything in my power to ensure defeat before becoming POTUS.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

is Barack Hussein Obama the HONORLESS DOTUS?

PappyD61 on August 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM

A mock headline is: Obama Blames Bush For Victory In Iraq. Yes Obama is incapable of accusing American of victory, it would violate his mantra of apologizing for America around the world.

Blue Collar Todd on August 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Obama……it’s 8/28…….you are so 2008.

PappyD61 on August 28, 2010 at 12:30 PM

All of which would not have happened if you and your democratic allies cries for “withdrawal” had been successful.
What a great achievement for Obama to be able to follow the Status of Forces Agreement laid out by Bush and the Iraqi government….

…….In the spirit of consistancy, Obama should have claimed that he “inherited” this withdrawal from Bush?????

And by the end of next year, all of our troops will be home.

Our Generals…our allies in Afghanistan….and even the Taliban have stated plainly how giving deadlines emboldens the enemy……

…………….Obama is all about politics…no understanding of the mission at all…

…………with Obama in control….we pretty much have code pink running our foreign policy.

Baxter Greene on August 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Class is indignant.

He has all the symptoms of clinical NPD.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Impertinence has never been taken to this level, ever.

Such must be, and will be, punished.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Troops will be in Iraq, for as long, and similarly, to Germany, Japan and South Korea.

Obama is a fool, with apologies to the lesser among the idiots.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Will not watch this POS take any credit for things Bush set in motion.

RalphyBoy on August 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM

gutless little weenie

Terrye on August 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM

We should bring our troops home from both Germany and Japan. I think the populations are stabilized there.

North Korea? Let’s end the war there by winning it.

Mojave Mark on August 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM

He inherited the victory. It is odd how he never mentions that. /sarc off.

Theophile on August 28, 2010 at 1:29 PM

All troops will be home by the end of 2011. They could be home now but Obama wants to use this for his own reelection campaign so will hold off till close to 2012. How could they be home? Obama will just follow the Democratic tradition of reclassifying everyone still there as advisers. Presto-Changeo! No more troops in Iraq!

Rocks on August 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Blame Bush, Blame Bush, Blame Bush, Take Credit, Blame Bush, Blame Bush, Blame Bush…

29Victor on August 28, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Um?

carbon_footprint on August 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I can’t watch this fool, not even for a couple of minutes. Not. Goona. Do. It.

Scotsman on August 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Rocks on August 28, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Bammie will need to do this to fend off primary challenges, if he runs at all. That wins him votes of the professional lefties, but if there’s a Vietnam-style purge once we leave he will lose the rest of the country.

slickwillie2001 on August 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM

On the positive side, this is just one more straw on the camel’s back leading to Obama getting bounced in 2012. Obama is unlikeable and every occasion such as this makes him even less likeable than he already is. Regardless of what the polls may say, my hunch is that the great majority of Americans do not like the guy and are lying to pollsters so they won’t appear to be bigots. Throw in Obama’s bad policies and people will be rioting to get rid of him in two years is my guess at this particular time. So thanks for adding to the coming tsunami Mr. President.

JimP on August 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Everyone knows the reality.
By not crediting Bush, Obama displays to the world just how small a man he is.

justltl on August 28, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I apologize for the length of this post, but it’ll be worth reading.
I suffered through the whole speech 2x, and for all who couldn’t hear the words because the hypocrisy got in the way, here is a summary:

The “I’s” at the beginning were the only references made to the process of winning the war. The remaining 5 minutes of the speech was all about thanking our veterans by–you guessed it–increasing our spending to establish new standards of VA care. He used “we” 13x to tell what his administration is already doing to actually implement a law–what a concept, for a President to take credit for following the law!–namely, the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

The words of the speech were rich–artificially so, probably–in appreciation for what our vets have done, but the emphasis clearly was on what the vets are now entitled to. And it will all be provided to them by the government, and we the public must agree that they have earned this level of care/preference/entitlement. Private businesses were called on to assist vets by giving them hiring preference with no reference to the fact that few employers are hiring vet-worthy positions right now. Volunteer groups who assist returning vets or VA hospitals were not thanked or challenged in any way–in fact, a listener has to question if the One knows they exist. Apparently TOTUS doesn’t think that alternative or supplemental sources of this care exist.

In short, considering the political climate in which this discussion takes place, while the words of this speech are all about honoring our vets, the speech itself is more an argument for increased government. The speech attempts to demonstrate that there are legitimate reasons for conservatives to renounce our small government principles in favor of caring for our vets, as a precursor to renouncing our small government principles for other reasons later (which is the trap so many of our Republican lawmakers have fallen into).

So I conclude that this President may have hinted at his classlessness by his failure to acknowledge the successful contributions of his predecessor, but his ultimate classlessness is revealed in his efforts to use our vets as POWs surrounding the arms dumps of government entitlement spending that we conservatives are having success in attacking right now.

Don’t you miss the days when a President’s address called on Americans to exercise our values and stand up and do something instead of encouraging us to stand still while the government took more money out of our pockets while telling us how this time it really is for a good cause? I.e., “It’s not for the children, or the poor, or the elderly, or the homeless, or the sick, or the uninsured, or the displaced, or the jobless; this time it’s for the vets.” And if we accede this time, we will be proven to have been heartless all along.
And you thought he was classless before.

rwenger43 on August 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

rwenger43 on August 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

BINGO ! I heard the exact same thing.

pambi on August 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM

-I did everything in my power to ensure defeat before becoming POTUS.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM

-I have done everything in my power to ensure defeat since becoming POTUS.

AshleyTKing on August 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Obama to Vets: I am your new sugar daddy, please vote for me.

Wouldn’t it be an appropriate honor to our troops to govern in accordance to the Constitution and the original ideal of our country? After all, our troops are serving to defend the Constitution.

It is terrific to show support of troops, but this sounded more like a clumsy triagulation effort to win the affections of the soldiers to Obama and the Democrats.

Mallard T. Drake on August 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Do not worry. I have an advanced copy of the speech Obama will give as I hacked into his Teleprompter.

Now this may surprise some of you but I want to give former President George W. Bush some credit here. Iraq was one of the few things he didn’t F up so badly that I haven’t been able to fix it.

Tav on August 28, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Hey, speaking of I, I, I:

I really don’t like this narcissist, empty suited Marxist pretender-president.

I think that Pres. Sero embodies all that is wrong with affirmative action.

I can’t wait for November when his excellency is reduced to His Lame Duckedness.

BigAlSouth on August 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Hire that Slater fool on AF1 and he just might pop the hatch with Obama at his side at thirty thou….

Rid ourselves of a minor andMAJOR fools

Sonosam on August 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Once they did the close-up shot I had to stop watching – too distracting watching his eyes darting back & forth reading his freaking teleprompter.

Now I know how “cold readings” got that name.

nametaken on August 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Man, am I ever tired of that turd stinking up the White House. Its only “I,I,I” when he’s taking credit for something he had nothing to do with. When he’s voting, its “present,present,present”.

gordo on August 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Obama = Classless

16MPG on August 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

BTW: the Maine vacation ends tomorrow. Where is Dear Leader and First Moocher going next? I know, they are doing a drive-by of New Orleans to see if Cold Cash Jefferson (D-LA) has any freezer stash left, but after that, what’s next on us taxpayer’s dime?

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Obowma: I am the one I’ve been waiting for.

What he should be saying is thank you GW Bush for having the guts I don’t have to win in Iraq.

dthorny on August 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

“…I will end this war.” But nowhere is victory mentioned. Just sayin.

abcurtis on August 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM

what’s next on us taxpayer’s dime?

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

A DC rally called Hate America with guest speakers Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Al Gore, the ACLU, many college professors and the entire democrat congress. Tickets are automatically deducted from everyones paycheck at $500 dollars each and only democrat voters are allowed at the event.

dthorny on August 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM

What I’d like to hear from Obowma: I refuse to serve a second term, my winning was a mistake.dthorny on August 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I’d be happy with it as modified. I’d be more happy if it said he resigned today. But then, we’d have President Joe Bite-Me with Speaker Botox pushing pins in a Biden doll. Which is worse? I don’t know. ALL bad options.

Dingbat63 on August 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Obama = Classless

16MPG on August 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Obama = Clueless

shoregulls on August 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM

To All Veterans especially returning home:

Welcome home fellow veterans. Thank you immensely for your sacrifices and service. We apologize greatly that you must come home and return to a CIC of the low par and depravity of Obama. It is our fault, as we elected him as a Country. We will be fixing that imminently. He is working to destroy our nation from within starting with our historical culture, our values, our ideals and OUR AMERICA. You can now help us also by your votes in November and in 2012. Thanks again for your service and God Bless. (write to http://www.whitehouse.gov to send email voice to your thoughts to this incompetent and derelict so called president).

highninside on August 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

He knows he’s a one termer…

He knows he’ll be seen as worse than Carter even…

He knows President Palin and her Congress will undo his un-American legislation…

2012 can’t come fast enough!

CCRWM on August 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Del Dolemonte on August 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM

CCRWM on August 28, 2010 at 9:02 PM

OK friend, I have my tinfoil hat firmly in place. I’m truly beginning to wonder if he made a deal with the Clintons early on to be a “one termer.”

yeah, I know, but hear me out: he has his singular place in history, could ramrod through all manner of drastic change, then bow out and the Clintons can step in and, (ahem), “Save the country.”
Preserves his legacy, solidifies theirs, makes history and castrates the right.
Yup! I’m definately moonbat material!

Chewy the Lab on August 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Post 9/11 GI Bill.

rwenger43 on August 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM

The bill that sounded great on paper (which is why Webb wrote it and politicians lapped it up) but in reality is a clusterf*ck of criss-crossing payments to multiple parties on different dates, which gave an already overextended VA a huge additional responsibility but not nearly the funding to accomplish it, resulting in thousands and thousands of service members not receiving payments on time and having to receive ‘emergency payments’ of 3,000 that will get deducted out of their later payments in what promises to be just as f*cked up a process as the bill itself.

BadgerHawk on August 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM

this president is an abomination

Willie on August 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Classless pIece of shIt…

Seven Percent Solution on August 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Channeling my inner Mark Levin to Pres. Obama:

“YOU JERK!!!”

Yakko77 on August 29, 2010 at 12:26 AM

LMAO…you can watch him read this…and lets rewind to where we’re going to cut veteran benefits….*sigh* glad there will be another President before I retire from the military!

cappy718 on August 29, 2010 at 2:29 AM

FUBO

txag92 on August 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I 2nd that.

tbear44 on August 29, 2010 at 5:47 AM

this president is an abomination

Willie on August 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Don’t you mean “obamanation”?

tbear44 on August 29, 2010 at 5:49 AM

He has all the symptoms of clinical NPD.

Schadenfreude on August 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM

That Mayo Clinic outline of narcissistic personality disorder fits Øbama like a glove.

petefrt on August 29, 2010 at 8:34 AM

As a candidate for this office, I pledged I would end this war.

Well, actually, as a candidate he promised he would end this war in 16 months of taking office. That was up back in May.

MikeA on August 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM

“…I will end this war.” But nowhere is victory mentioned. Just sayin.

abcurtis on August 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Oh, he wants victory in this war and the larger one we are in with Islam. He wants that victory very much. He’s just on the other side.

MikeA on August 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM

American Power tracked-back with, ‘President Barack Obama Claims Credit on Iraq War’.

Donald Douglas on August 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

“…I will end this war.” But nowhere is victory mentioned. Just sayin.

abcurtis on August 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM

MikeA on August 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM
==============================
You know, with any other president in the past, this would be funny and obviously ridiculous, the problem with this president is that his policies really do make you wonder

georgealbert on August 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Charles Krauthammer had it right when he pointed out recently that this guy is a bit of a narcissist, to which you agreed.

His best line was to note that all of his Presidential mirror-gazing was

[n]ot surprising, perhaps, in a man whose major achievement before acceding to the presidency was writing two biographies — both about himself.

Okay . . . so maybe saying that he is a tad narncissistic is a bit of an understatement. Most kids today do not know what a broken record is, but many of us more seasoned folks do! This guy is a broken record . . . or, as you put it above, “I,I,I.”

Perhaps the only way to get through to some people on this issue will be to keep poking fun at him. And that is not hard to do.

Q: How does Barack Obama claim to change a light bulb?

A: Simple. He just holds the bulb while the world revolves around him.

Trochilus on August 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I never hear anything about two nations working together to build a greater bond with economic and cultural relations.

davod on August 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM

The I’s have it

What a piece of work this egomaniac

He is the epitome of the Me gneration. There is nowhere to go from here, but declare oneself both Emperor, and God and have a couple statues built

entagor on August 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Pathological narcissism:

“we (meaning I) are the ones we’ve been waiting for”

…”generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal”

petefrt on August 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM

“Let me be clear. I am a Muslim. I am a Marxist Communist. I was born in Kenya. I attended Colombia as a foreign aid student. I agree with Bill Ayers, Saul Alinsky, Louis Farrakhan and Osama bin Laden. I really want to be global President after I sell the US down the river to the UN.” I,I,I alright…..

The impeachment proceedings will be marvelous. Joe McCarthy will be smiling somewhere…..

adamsmith on August 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Revelation 22:20

Kjeil on August 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I’m counting 4 “I”s.

Sounds like aye, aye, aye – aye I am the frito bandito!

VegasRick on August 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Ideological dumbass.

Western_Civ on August 29, 2010 at 11:15 PM

I just read an article on FoxNews entitled, “Wright Describes Voters Who Believe Obama is a Muslim as ‘Sycophants’”

I left a comment, however, I don’t believe that they (FoxNews) will post it. So, I am posting it here again for consideration and so that the fools who think we are fools will stop the non-sense of saying we don’t know what we’re saying when we say Obama is a closet-Muslim.

My post:

Preface: Jeremiah Wright says Obama is a Christian. What the article DOES NOT say is that the Rev. Wright was ALSO a Muslim, and perhaps still is. Proof of Jeremiah’s wrath for America, no doubt learned from the Koran, is that his “church” teaches hatred of America. Rev. Wrong is the one who say infamously, “God Da*n America”. Read the following article for enlightenment.

Jeremiah Wright Was a Muslim: Why That Matters
From: http://www.noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/04/10/jeremiah-wright-was-a-muslim-why-that-matters/

Al-Taqiyya

Al-taqiyya and dissimulation are words used for a practice of Muslims blatantly lying to non-Muslims. All but some of the most undamental Muslims consider the act of Al-taqiyya or lying to non-Muslims to be a good work. This is very important when one remembers that, in Islam, salvation is determined by good works. This means that a Muslim lying to a non-Muslim is that Muslim doing a good work to earn salvation.

From: http://actioninengland.mywowbb.com/forum68/207.html

Obama is a closet Muslim, a Muslim none the less, of this there is no doubt. Newspaper and radio reports say he is a “lifelong” Christian. It’s a lie. Nothing could be farther from the truth. As a young boy, Obama recited the Koran (a book of hatred toward Jews and Infidels whose goal is to kill) and studied in a mosque. All of Obama’s relatives and friends were, when Obama was a child, and are still Muslim. There is much to be said about why Obama is still a Muslim. But Al-Taqiyya says it best. Wonder no more as to why Obama is a constant, incessant liar with no conscience or remorse.

Obama, in his book, Dreams from my father, is quoted as saying, “Muslim Call To Prayers’, is “one of the prettiest sounds”".

Glenn Beck has begun officially a take-back of America from those liberals and radicals who would force foreign crap into our beloved country. Now the march begins. Out with those who do not cherish the American Constitution. God bless America.

AdrianS on August 30, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Mental breakdown on display. Barry will be sucking his thumb in a fetal position come November.

BHO Jonestown on August 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Ugh. I can’t stand watching the emperor without any clothes.

shick on August 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM

This is shameless on Obama’s part. Obama opposed the Iraq War. At most, he continued the Bush-Petraeus policy and did not implement what he campaigned on.

McCain’s campaign slogan was “Country First.” It was sincerely meant. There is no “I” in putting country first. The country, however, chose a self centered narcissist as POTUS. Mistake.

Phil Byler on August 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Here’s an i-conic Obama poster:

Kralizec on August 31, 2010 at 1:26 AM

This is the way things work in the media for Democrat and/or Republican Presidents: 1. The media plays up all the negatives and exaggerates it whenever possible when a Republican holds the Oval Office. 2. The media plays down the negatives and exaggerates or spins to cover it with attempted positives if a Democrat holds the O.F. 3. Republicans will be blamed for things caused under a Democratic Congress or President as soon as they take power to clean up the mess. ( See George W. Bush during the .com bubble and Enron) 4. Democrats will take credit for the things caused under a Republican Congress or President as soon as they take power. ( See Clinton when Republican Congress took over. ) 5. The constant media playing of negatives helps to ensure that a Republican President will have more difficult implementing and completing their tasks. (See the Iraq war & Afghanistan with the media’s body count and encouragement of insurrection. ) 6. The media ignoring negatives helps to ensure that a Democrat President (who follows a Conservative game-plan or is forced to do so via a Conservative Congress) will have an easier time completing & implementing their tasks. (see the lack of media coverage or movie star peace advocates on Iraq issues since Obama took office. Same with Afghanistan.)

IT REALLY SUCKS! Democrats LOVE to take credit for what Conservatives accomplish and blame Conservatives when the things they do screw everything up.

Sultry Beauty on August 31, 2010 at 2:18 PM