Lame new attack on Joe Miller: He called Murkowski a prostitute or something

posted at 8:52 pm on August 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

Sure he did. That’s exactly what an Ivy League law grad would do who’s (a) desperate for party backing in a razor-thin race against a woman candidate and (b) already supported by the most famous woman candidate in America. Make a gratuitous prostitute crack about Lisa Murkowski.

The tweet in question was obviously aimed at the Libertarian Party, not her, but let’s not let the facts stand in the way of some identity-politics demagoguery.

Earlier today, the Republican Senate candidate had this to say on Twitter about the rumor Sen. Lisa Murkowski might join the Libertarian Party ticket if she loses her bid against him once all the ballots are counted: “What’s the difference between selling out your party’s values and the oldest profession?”…

Here’s Murkowski’s response: “Alaskans deserve better. This type of statement is inexcusable from someone who wants to represent our state,” she said. “While I have been focused on the remaining ballots, the Miller campaign has launched yet another smear campaign against me. They lied about my record during the primary and now they have resorted to name-calling — it’s disgusting.”

“Alaskan values have never included a complete disregard for the truth or a lack of common decency,” Murkowski said. “Mr. Miller owes all Alaskans, women and my family an apology.”

Says her campaign manager, yet another Palin nemesis, “He just basically called Senator Murkowski a prostitute.” Well, no, he didn’t: A right-wing candidate like Miller is unlikely to accuse a Republican of “selling out your party’s values” by tacking right towards the libertarian end of the spectrum. It makes more sense that he was accusing the Libertarians of selling out by considering a candidate who doesn’t espouse their values — which is, in fact, what they’re doing, in negotiating with a nominee who by their own admission “is not a libertarian.” But I digress. Rather than play into their hands by letting them shift the narrative towards poor back-stabbing Lisa Murkowski being a victim, let me repeat a question posed by Ace earlier today: If the NRSC insists on sending a lawyer to help her with the primary against Miller, why oh why oh why didn’t they at least demand some sort of public pledge from her that she wouldn’t bolt for the Libertarians if the absentee ballots in the GOP primary don’t push her over the top? That’s as irritating to me as the fact that they’re helping her at all. If you want to sandbag a popular grassroots candidate like Miller, that’s one thing — but to get absolutely nothing for it in doing so? Inexcusable. What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

Comments

Do they think this is going to flip those already-submitted absentee ballots?

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I don’t think the Libertarians involved are going to fold. They all seem to be Palin fans.

JimK on August 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Calling most politicians a prostitute is actually a statement of fact. Maxine Waters charging other pols for her to endorse them is a perfect example.

Did Miller do or say that? Who knows the sliming must start on Miller now, especially if Murkowski wants to run as a Libertarian. Ohh, maybe a libertine!

Skeptic on August 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Perhaps you missed something here. All top level politicians think “It’s all about me.” Murkowski probably really thought he was calling her a whore. This doesn’t make her look less stupid, but it is the most likely explanation.

Buford Gooch on August 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

That implies an assumption that I’m not willing to make at this point.

hillbillyjim on August 27, 2010 at 8:57 PM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

The ruling class always protects itself.

Blarg the Destroyer on August 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Do they think this is going to flip those already-submitted absentee ballots?

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM

It might make it easier to accept the new ones they are currently printing up.

sharrukin on August 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

LOL…campaigning after the fact. Murkowski’s the one allowing the third-party thing to float around. If she doesn’t want to be called a political whore (as Crist has been called), then she should just come out and say she’s not going to be a third-party candidate.

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Well is she?

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

This is about the principle that the people are sovereign– are they or aren’t they?

That is what this election is all about. Obama is my servant, not my master. He severs at my pleasure, I do not serve at his. It is now time to through out the elitist ruling class out on their collective behinds.

Tommy_G on August 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Daddy, did you get me my senate seat back yet?
/lisa

ted c on August 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Well is she?

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

The NRSC is up there haggling over the price right now.

pedestrian on August 27, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I can’t believe that the NRSC hasn’t heard from the base, any idea what they are saying to them? I usually like Sen. Cornyn but he has messed up a couple of times this year.

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

“I used to say that politics is the second oldest profession, and I have tome to know that it bears a close similarity to the first.”
R.W. Reagan

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM

tome s/b come

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Prostitutes at least are more honest about what they do.

rbj on August 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Well,with this Obama Economy,maybe she is
moonlighting!!

canopfor on August 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Inexcusable. What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?
=============
There not!

canopfor on August 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

….

That the GOP should be dominated by people like: Specter, Crist, Murky, Jeffords, Chafee….

artist on August 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Well,

There is a problem – he did say it – we can wash it three ways from Sunday but it was an unsolicited comment voluntarily given

If he wins, which is not a given – people have 6 years to forget what he said, if he loses he will be forgotten in 6 minutes

EricPWJohnson on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Daddy, did you get me my senate seat back yet?
/lisa

ted c on August 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Winnah!

tcn on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

pathetic

cmsinaz on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Daddy, did you get me my senate seat back yet?
/lisa

ted c on August 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM
Winnah!

tcn on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on August 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

As soon as I read AllahP’s post I called Cornyn’s office and expressed my frustration. I also tried to get a hold of the NRSC’s direct line, but no one answered. I’ll try again on Monday.

Weight of Glory on August 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM

I should say that I called his Austin office. Cornyn’s D.C. office never, and I mean never, answers the phone.

Weight of Glory on August 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Murkowski’s not the prostitute, she’s the John.

Anon Y. Mous on August 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I hope the independents in Alaska are paying enough attention to see through this charade.

silverfox on August 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM

The National Republican Senatorial Committee

Alaska
==========
Interesting,no mention of Miller!!

======================
======================

canopfor on August 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Oh my god Lisa…. give it a rest already, you got voted out… Now, go spend that money you have in the bank and shut the heck up.

shar61 on August 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM

We can only hope the Libertarians are pretending to give her the nod and then pull out the rug from under her.

GardenGnome on August 27, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Indeed. It’s also ironic to get indignant, as any politician, when being called a harlot. They’re all whores.

—————-
Kohlhaas said he has no illusions about the fact that Murkowski is not a Libertarian, but says that having her run as one would be a way to get more publicity for the Party and possibly help the Party gain seats in state legislatures

In a telephone interview late Thursday, one LP source in Anchorage told me that although Haase has expressed admiration for Murkowski, he’s also a “huge fan of Sarah Palin.”

However, some reports claim he’s a Palin nemesis. Palin will likely play more in this melodrama.

Schadenfreude on August 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Well, I think we all know what she and the Alaskan Libertarian party are. Nw they’re just haggling over price.

Vince on August 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

In order to flip to the Libertarian party successfully – Murkowski has to some kind of “noble” story line.

This is just a setup for the storyline which will be …

“Uh oh! Oh look, we MISTAKENLY nominated a jerk for Senate – so Lisa will now make a charge for King and Country on the Libertarian candidate! All Hail Murkowski!”

The funny thing is – this is so transparent – yet the NRSC can’t see this! I’m beginning to wonder about John Cornyn’s manhood here. I mean – when you see him on TV – he looks like a little wuss. And he seems to get taken by every RINO scammer in the party.

Sooo … I’m wondering, if John Cornyn sang the National Anthem “a-la Rosanne Barr” … would his fist come up empty after the “grab”???

HondaV65 on August 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM

What would really be funny is that she wins the primary and looses the general because people found out what a loser she is.

BruceB on August 27, 2010 at 9:27 PM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

They’re “misoverestimated”, as GWB would rightly say.

Their leader is the real whore.

Schadenfreude on August 27, 2010 at 9:27 PM

My favorite Ronald Reagan quote:

“Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”

year_of_the_dingo on August 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

Allahpundit

Murkowski, and members of the NRSC, are in bad form.

The GOP needs to consider who’s side they are on. The Ruling Class Elites, or the American people. My money is going to candidates that I like, not to the party.

That should make a statement in itself. Just look at the numbers.

Kini on August 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Well,

EricPWJohnson on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Give me a break. It’s obvious that Miller is referring to the Libertarian Party. If they’re courting Murkowski to be their candidate, “prostitute” describes them perfectly, no apologies necessary.

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Calling a politician a prostitute is like saying water is wet.

What’s next, calling him a racist for saying snow is white?

agmartin on August 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Exactly. This whining from Lisa is not enduring her to anyone.

sandee on August 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Sorry, endearing her.

sandee on August 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM

“Senator Murkowski, the question of what you are has been settled. Now we are only talking price!”

-the always puckish Mr. Winston Spencer Churchill

victor82 on August 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM

I used to say that politics is the second oldest profession, and I have come to know that it bears a close similarity to the first.”
R.W. Reagan

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM

year_of_the_dingo on August 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Thanks to both of you for posting that. One of the best of Reagan’s “Classics”.

listens2glenn on August 27, 2010 at 9:43 PM

She has faced the grizzly, and no matter what happens she has LOST

ELMO Q on August 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM

If they really want to steal this primary election they need to bring in some democrat operatives who have been doing that forever.

Mojave Mark on August 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I sent them both a nastygram, one to the NRSC and one to Cornyn`s Senate email. I doubt they will actually give a $hit, they never have before. They are tone deaf and are not much different than the Dems about being in touch with the electorate as whole.

bluemarlin on August 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Miller was in a three-way car accident today. No one was hurt.

juliesa on August 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM

EricPWJohnson on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

No one’s saying he didn’t say it; no one’s washing it at all; the point is, there’s nothing wrong with it. So there’s no problem.

“it was an unsolicited comment voluntarily given”

Duh.

As opposed to what — an unsolicited comment coerced from him?

Irrelevant analysis redundantly given. Nice.

notropis on August 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM

EricPWJohnson on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

What’s the ‘PW’ for? Pu$$ywhipped?

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM

What happened to the days when absentee votes were able to be counted the next morning and the results released by noon?

Marcus on August 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I was going comment but I am speechless…

How pathetic can Murkowski & the RINO be?? Unbelievable

Norwegian on August 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Sounds like Miller stuck a nerve.

Left Coast Right Mind on August 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Incidentally, isn’t it sexist to imply only women can be prostitutes?

year_of_the_dingo on August 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Maybe Breitbart should send a reporter down there, disguised as a phone company worker, to see if his phones work.

bflat879 on August 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM
Cindy, I think some of these elitist Republicans, including my Senator from Texas, are as tone deaf as the Demwits.

mobydutch on August 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Let her run as a 3rd party and we conservatives can finally show the moderates they have no support. lisa will be lucky to get 30% of the vote. the dem maybe 25% and Miller will get 45% Let this happen. Let the moderates remember anderson vs Reagan vs carter. the GOP moderates only wants to remember Perot. they forget the tale of Anderson and how the moderates tried to throw the election to carter instead of the conservative in 1980. bush was lucky Perot was a nutcase or Bush would have been given the anderson treatment in 1992.

Let this 3rd party thing happen. I want Lisa and the dynasties to feel the pain of massive defeat and rejection of the people.

unseen on August 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Could the fact that Lisa incorrectly attributed that to herself be a gaff?

I mean she just came out and admitted that she has sold out the values of her current party. Who wants to vote for a self admitted sell out?

clement on August 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Which is essentially what I wrote to Michael Steele when I received this week’s begging letter from the RNC.

disa on August 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM

The reason absentee ballots will not be counted until Tuesday is because AK is so large and in some places the ballots are flown or taken by boat to be counted. It is not like a normal state so they count absentee ballots that are dated NLT the day of election one week later. Been doing it for years so this is not something new. Usually makes no difference. Now Palin should know that and so should Miller. If you go into a race and don’t understand election law, you had better get up to speed fast. Didn’t appreciate him comparing it to Al Franken either.

NRSC is not there to steal an election. Their lawyer is there to make sure everything goes well. Miller was called and told if he wins the NRSC will support him enthusiastically. Whoever is advising him needs to tell him to say nothing until after the absentee ballots are counted.

If Murkowski runs as a Libertarian, then she will be another Charlie Crist.

Until the absentee ballots are counted it is too early to say which way it is going but the Republicans in AK are giving the Dems plenty of ammo for the general.

Just like Palin’s comments about Scott Brown saying AK wouldn’t elect someone that liberal. What about the liberal Senator they elected over Stevens in 2008 that votes lockstep with Reid? It is comments like that which makes a person in the lower 48 wonder what is in the water in AK to make Republicans keep shooting themselves in the foot with dumb statements.

Time for AK politicians to take a time out and not say a word until after Tuesday. If I was in Alaska, I would want a revote with different people. Governor Parnell must be wanting to knock some heads together about now.

PhiKapMom on August 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Cindy Munford on August 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Weight of Glory on August 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Weight of Glory on August 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I called his DC office first. Got one of his minions. Basically told me he couldn’t talk “politics” on the Senate line. Let him Know that we are gonna primary the hell out of Cornyn when he’s next up.

Also talked to a very nice young gal at the NRSC. You could tell she had been just ripped to shreds by callers.

I didn’t wear her out too bad, but let her know that we all know this sort of thing is a pattern, and they stepped in it big time.

Also asked her to pass along my best wishes to Cornyn on his last term in office.

If I’m still slingin’ snot by Monday, I’ll hit the Austin office.

gary4205 on August 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Well,

EricPWJohnson on August 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Dude, he didn’t even send the tweet!

An overzealous staffer did. Joe has already apologized, not that he had to, and moved on. No need to be such a drama queen.

Politics is war. War is hell.

gary4205 on August 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Well, it’s pretty clear he’s talking about the Libertarian Party in the comment.

But

Why was the comment made to start with? It could only hurt him. There is absolutely nothing in that comment that would benefit him in any manner whatsoever.

He acted stupidly.

ButterflyDragon on August 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Well is she?

darwin-t on August 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Haha Road House!

fossten on August 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I am sure it was a rhetorical question, but the simple answer is the RINO’s want to maintain there power. If the TEA Party is successful then they know they are next. But if they can take the wind out of the Grass Roots movement then maybe…Just maybe the RINO’s can win the next round of elections and continue to weaken the GOP.

lwssdd on August 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM

What the hell are these people at the NRSC thinking?

I emailed my junior senator today, Sen. Cornyn, to let him know that at least one of his constituents is keeping an eye on what the NRSC is doing in Alaska, and to let him know that if anything smells funny over the next 2 weeks he will never have my vote again. I’m sure I’m not alone.

lizzie beth on August 28, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Murkowski’s response:

Sounds like Murkowski has a guilty conscious!

D’Hooooooooo

DSchoen on August 28, 2010 at 12:57 AM

PhiKapMom on August 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

+100..That was a great post..:)

Dire Straits on August 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM

He acted stupidly.

ButterflyDragon on August 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM

+1..Great post..I think it is called “overplaying your hand”..:)

Dire Straits on August 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM

What are they thinking?

They are thinking they have to protect the grand old party from the Visigoths at the gate.

They can’t let the trailer trash take over. This is not the way it goes down in the country club!

They OWN this party! YOU SHUT UP!

Lonetown on August 28, 2010 at 5:25 AM

He acted stupidly.

ButterflyDragon on August 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM

no benefit? I don’t know but now people link whore with the name Lisa since Murk responded and acted all offended. Why be offended if you are innocent. Lisa should have laughed it off and moved on. better yet like the NRSC she should have done nothing. If anything she might have come to the defense of the party she is trying to be the john of. the RINO’s seem to forget that sometimes the best policy is to do nothing.

unseen on August 28, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Because the Libertarian Party is going to prostitute itself?

He acted stupidly.

ButterflyDragon on August 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Nowhere near as stupidly as Murkowski and the Libertarians. But naturally you’re going to focus on Miller.

ddrintn on August 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Once again we see a politician lose an election and then start talking about changing parties. Lisa Murkowski and Charlie Crist must be related. She was a moderate which these days is just another name for RINO. I agree with some of the postings- What is wrong with the NRSC? The GOP stands a good chance of winning the majority but if they continue to attack other GOP members and retain Steele as Chairman we will have more of the same with Reid and Pelosi.

flintstone on August 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM

He acted stupidly.

ButterflyDragon on August 28, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I don’t think you’re allowed to make that statement unless you don’t know all the facts.

TugboatPhil on August 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM

When is some one…anyone going to grow a pair and demand that Michael Steele resign for the good of the conservatives?

He has been nothing short of a disaster and i dont know when exactly he is going to be forced to quit

nagee76 on August 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM

“Didn’t appreciate him comparing it to Al Franken either.”

Maybe you know better, but many of us saw Al Franken go to bed on election night with a clear but slim deficit, and after many aberrant rulings and inexcusable violations of election procedure become the 60th Democratic Senator. Which part of the comparison did you dislike?

“NRSC is not there to steal an election. Their lawyer is there to make sure everything goes well. Miller was called and told if he wins the NRSC will support him enthusiastically.”

PhiKapMom on August 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM

If the NRSC agreed with you, I’d give you the +1. But the NRSC spokesmen says they are there to advise Murkowski, the incumbent whom they are charged with assisting. They specifically say that IF Miller becomes the nominee they will support him–which they actually won’t do as an organization, because their purpose is to re-elect Republican incumbents, not nominees. The NRSC is under no obligation ‘to make sure everything goes well’, nor have they pledged to do so.

Their statement leaves all their tools available to prevent Miller’s becoming the nominee.

rwenger43 on August 28, 2010 at 12:54 PM

“As to Murkowski, maybe she’s unclear as to what the oldest profession is, and was offended that he might have called her a lawyer.”

TugboatPhil on August 28, 2010 at 9:32 AM

As for comments about Cornyn, I’m guessing the guy accepted this position thinking his committee would never be used in primaries (ICBW) against legitimate challengers. As a lawyer, Cornyn must fulfill his charge in attempting to help Murkowski win, or he must step aside. That is his legal obligation, even if it is an unethical one to us non-lawyers. If the NRSC is really neutral in this discussion, they need to say so. I’m guessing they won’t.

But I have a real problem with Republican Senators who profess a belief in the Constitution forming a committee whose sole purpose is to block the application of the 17th Amendment by interjecting the courts into interpreting the will of the people. Or is the problem that they are not allowed to challenge races based on who the opposition is? If so, that stinks–and we are back to TugboatPhil’s +2 comment.

rwenger43 on August 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM

The ‘progressive’ wing of the Republican party took over the party apparatus, and are now feeling the heat, as conservatives are winning in the primaries, and with the promise of mass victories, over the ‘progressive’ democrats the RINOs are terrified of loosing their influence over the party, when it is seen that the right wing of the party can win in disputed races.

Slowburn on August 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM