Joe Miller: Why is the NRSC “meddling” in the Alaska primary?

posted at 12:13 pm on August 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

DrewM argues that it’s no big deal for the NRSC to intervene on Murkowski’s behalf because, after all, she’s an incumbent and that’s what the NRSC is for. Is it, though? Here’s their mission statement:

About
The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) is the only political committee solely dedicated to electing Republicans to the U.S. Senate.

What We Do:
The NRSC provides invaluable support and assistance to current and prospective Republican U.S. Senate candidates in the areas of budget planning, election law compliance, fundraising, communications tools and messaging, research and strategy.

Nothing in there about incumbents. If, as seems clear, the goal of the Committee is to defeat Democrats, why they should have any preference in a primary — especially one where two Republicans are separated by one percent — is beyond me. Drew counters that, as a sitting senator, Murkowski’s partly responsible for raising money for the NRSC and therefore should be able to call on its resources, but again, that’s not what the Committee is supposed to be for. If incumbents want to start a National Incumbent Committee and raise money for themselves that way, fine; as it is, fundraising on the NRSC’s behalf is ostensibly done for all Republican candidates in the name of the betterment of the party. How does Murkowski have a stronger claim to that than Miller? Besides, not all of the NRSC’s money is a product of incumbents showing up for fundraising events. They have an online donation page for small donors just like every other political group nowadays (note that the photos on the page are all of Democrats, not Republican incumbents), and in any event, given the enthusiasm among the base this year for “true conservatives” like Miller, I wouldn’t be surprised to find more support for him than for Murkowski among NRSC donors.

So no, I still don’t get why the NRSC is helping her out. Neither does Erick Erickson, who hears that she’s angling to make a deal with the Libertarian Party in exchange for a huge donation even as an NRSC lawyer is on his way up there to help her with the next steps in the GOP primary. Which, by the way, is still winnable for her: Fully 20,000 absentee or “questioned” ballots, most of them Republican, remain to be counted and she only needs to net 1,700 votes to win. (Remember, Miller surged late in the race so early absentee voters might favor Murkowski.) But in case the absentees don’t come through for her, old Palin nemesis Andrew Halcro has reportedly commissioned a poll for this weekend showing how Murkowski would fare in a three-way race if she joined the Libertarians. And the Libertarians themselves seem increasingly open to the idea:

[Alaska Libertarian Party Chairman Scott] Kohlhaas said he has no illusions about the fact that Murkowski is not a Libertarian, but says that having her run as one would be a way to get more publicity for the Party and possibly help the Party gain seats in state legislatures. “There are 7,000 state legislative seats out there and we don’t have one,” he said. “As far as getting the name out there, this episode is doing that much better than any one state legislative seat would. And in terms of morale for our Party a state [senator] would be a real gain for us.”

At the end of the day Kohlaas recognizes that having Murkowski run as a member of the Libertarian Party would certainly “confuse some people because she is not libertarian.”

“But that happens all the time. Our job is to educate and get the philosophy out there,” he said. “If we decide to do this it will advance the Party and believe me we won’t do this for nothing.”

If I had to bet, I’d bet heavily that she’ll be on the ballot in November. One way or another.

Update: Sorry, it was DrewM who wrote the post at Ace’s, not Gabe Malor. I fixed the post to correct the error.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Big opportunity here for Palin to stand up against the GOP ruling class. Will she do it?

a capella on August 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

She took down much of the leadership of the Alaskan Republican Party. The Chair paid the largest fine in history, and he got off easy. Some went to the grey bar hotel.

Yeah, if the RNC pisses her off, they should just give their souls to God ….

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Did the NRSC get duped with Crist and Specter? Yup.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I’d say you are giving them entirely too much credit. Both switches had been rumored for a while before the actual jump.

alwaysfiredup on August 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I have no interest whatsoever in a third party. I want to beat the GOP into submission and compliance. With an axe handle if I have to.

Jaibones on August 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I was a little careful yesterday, but now after reading Dan Reihl, Redstate and RSMcCain updates from their sources in Alaska, I’m agreeing with this more.

RSMcCain is saying that Andrew Halcro is pushing the Libertarians to take Murky as a fallback anti-Palin move.

Any of you Palinites here will recognize that name immediately.

In short, you get the axe handle, and I’ll bring the crowbar and a USMC K-BAR.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Does that include Miller and Palin and Rubio and Christ? Because the last time I looked they were all part of the GOP.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Lat time I checked, Jesus Christ wasn’t a registered Republican.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Charlie Crist isn’t a Republican anymore either.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I think maybe people are looking for things to get excited about here.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I think so too.

The NRSC’s mission, as quoted above, is to provide “invaluable support and assistance to current and prospective Republican U.S. Senate candidates,” but according to some, their mission is to sit quietly until the general election. Well, it can’t be both, and people need to stop pretending to be blindsided by a group that’s doing exactly what they said they would do. Did Miller ask for support? That’s all I want to know.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Clue. Get Go. Bye.

yubley on August 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Yeah, if the RNC pisses her off, they should just give their souls to God ….

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Considering their softening stance on certain social/moral issues, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want that…

dominigan on August 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

What really pisses me off is that this is the sort of thing that will destroy any chance for 2012. If they keep doing this sort of thing after the midterms, Obama will win by default. The GOP cheerleading fanboys can talk about party unity and the lesser of two evils until they are blue in the face, but enthusiasm is what wins elections.

Choosing between a greasy weasel and a rat bastard isn’t all that inspiring.

sharrukin on August 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

That’s on the candidates, not the NRSC. You think the NRSC advised them to bolt? That’s ridiculous. You’re really mixing up two completely different issues here. Did the NRSC get duped with Crist and Specter? Yup. Did they “meddle?” If they did, they’re not very good at it.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 3:36 PM

WTF?

You really can’t be as ignorant as your comments make you appear.

NO, the GOP didn’t advise these dirt bags to bolt the party, but it’s obvious that the GOP isn’t smart enough to look at these dirt bags and realize they are dirt bags.

The NRSC has long history of backing the wrong horse. However, in recent memory, they have backed dirt bags like Scozzafava, Crist, Specter, and now Daddy’s Girl, who have absolutely NO allegiance to the party, or the people they represent. Just themselves.

Everyone at the NRSC needs to be run out of town. It must clean house and start over.

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Jaibones on August 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Any of you Palinites here will recognize that name immediately.

In short, you get the axe handle, and I’ll bring the crowbar and a USMC K-BAR.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM

You two are my heroes!!

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Lat time I checked, Jesus Christ wasn’t a registered Republican.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM

You are totally correct. I was referring to the Governor of New Jersey.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

You two are my heroes!!

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I have some vintage Enter the Dragon nunchacku as well.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM

dominigan on August 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

There’s a second part to that old saying.

They should give their souls to God, because their arses will belong to Mama Grizzly!

There’s a new old saying. “Alaska is littered with the remains of those who tangled with Sarah Palin”

If anyone can bring down the corrupt “good old boy” network in the GOP, It’s Sarah. She’s already done that in Alaska.

I was already a 100 percent Palinista, but events of late are only making my support stronger.

I think this Miller deal is proof that she is our only real hope in 2012 if we want to save this country.

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I have some vintage Enter the Dragon nunchacku as well.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Heh!!

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I am not so sure about that. You hear about the people they should not be backing, but they also back some very respected conservatives. In fact this sort of thing is bound to happen when you have these really close races like this. And while the NRSC is not always right, it is a little over the top to assume they are always wrong.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

You are totally correct. I was referring to the Governor of New Jersey.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Are you starting a new official cult of worship that we should alert some of our fellow HotAir commenters to be wary of? We know how distasteful that is to many, so they should get the courtesy of a heads up warning. :)

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

You really can’t be as ignorant as your comments make you appear.

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Oh no. I truly am that ignorant. That’s why I started out here asking questions to cure my ignorance, and you know what I was told? “They showed up. That’s all you need to know. This is all about appearances.” And – go ahead be shocked and give me another WTF – that wasn’t enough for me. All I know about this situation is that they had nothing to do with either candidate until one of them asked for some legal advice. And I guess they got it. No one will say. Did Miller ask? Again, no one will say. So, you go ahead and fill in the blanks. I’ll see how it plays out.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Charlie Crist isn’t a Republican anymore either.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

That was a typo on my part, I was talking about Christie, the Governor of New Jersey.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Did Miller ask for support? That’s all I want to know.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM
__________________________________________________________

Um, NO…I think he knows that going and crying to your DC buddies to get Daddy’s seat he gave you stolen for you is not in a West Point Grad and decorated Vet’s MO. The Alaskan’s can handle this withour Murk’s DC posse.
__________________________________________________________

And did they?

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM
_________________________________________________________

Did they not?

Sniff, sniff….ahhhhhhh B***sh##. The Texan nose knows.

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM
__________________________________________________________

Hmmmm. I answered your questions, twice now. Crikets…do I hear crikets?

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Charlie Crist isn’t a Republican anymore either.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM

And btw, idiot that I am I did not type Crist, I typed Christ when I meant Christie. I wonder if there was some Freudian thing going on there.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Hmmmm. I answered your questions, twice now. Crikets…do I hear crikets?

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I have no idea what you hear, but what you “think he knows” doesn’t answer my question.

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM

The Other McCain:

EXCLUSIVE: Murkowski’s Libertarian Effort Is Led by Longtime Palin Enemy

Posted on | August 27, 2010 | 8 Comments

Early Wednesday morning, Alaska Libertarian Party chairman Scott Kohlhaas got a call from ex-Republican Andrew Halcro, asking if Kohlhaas would be open to having Sen. Lisa Murkowski replace Dave Haase as the LP’s Senate candidate.

Such a switch would be the only option for Murkowksi to be on the Nov. 2 ballot, should she and the National Republican Senatorial Committee fail in their effort to overturn conservative challenger Joe Miller’s 1,668-vote victory in Tuesday’s primary.

A former Republican state legislator, Halcro has disavowed any “official” connection to the Murkowski campaign, but a source in Anchorage says Halcro has masterminded the effort to secure the LP nomination for the incumbent Republican senator as a fallback option, should Miller’s victory hold up. And Halcro acknowledged to an Anchorage Daily News reporter that he is in direct communication with Murkowski.

Major national media have quoted Halcro without noting that, after Sarah Palin won the GOP gubernatorial nomination in 2006, Halcro launched a third-party vengeance campaign focused on attcking Palin. He finished with 9% of the vote, and subsequently launched a blog which made him a “folk hero” to Palin’s enemies, according to an Anchorage Daily News article published in August 2008 — just two weeks before Palin was picked as the GOP vice-presidential nominee.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I figured it was a typo, but it was a good opening for some fun. :)

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM
___________________________________________________________

Um, did you click on the link? Just point your mouse on the link and left click, read and enjoy. Your boring me now.

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Riehl World View:

Betrayal: AK GOP HQ Phone Banked For Murkowski On Election Day

The first of two exclusive reports this morning concerning Alaska’s unresolved Senate race.

A reliable source unaligned with either GOP senatorial campaign in Alaska, and positioned to know, confirmed for me last night that the Alaskan Republican Party (ARP) stepped up their efforts on behalf of Sen. Lisa Murkowski in the closing days of the election, going so far as to phone bank for her from the Alaska GOP’s headquarters on election day.

While technically not a violation of any rules, the rules are conveniently rather slim. Grassroots Republicans I spoke to in Alaska view it as a betrayal of an open and fair primary in which the GOP establishment should not be taking sides. It also raises significant additional concerns.

Given that the ARP is so obviously not neutral and in a position to potentially influence the outcome, it may explain why candidate Joe Miller believed it necessary to fire a shot across the bow of those who might look to steal the election. A pdf of Miller’s formal protest at previous link. A Murkowski observer stands accused of using confidential information to resurrect a previously disqualified ballot. It might not be long before we get into Al Franken territory with Murkowski at this rate.

Sources in Alaska claim her father, Frank, who appointed her, is livid that his daughter may have squandered away what some believe the Murkowski family sees more as a family heirloom, than a repository of the public trust.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Palin Goes Rogue: Who’s The Rube, Now, Murkowski?

Go read all of this.

There are two excerpts from Going Rogue in this post:

During my 2007 budget powwow, the legislative director should have been at the table with us so that there would be no surprises in the state house come veto time. Occasionally, he would wander in and out, plop down in the chair at the end of the table, nibble cookies, and absently thumb his BlackBerry. Every now and then a tired staffer on a bathroom break would pass behind him, glance down, then mouth over his head, “It’s Brick- Breaker.”

My first legislative director was one of these. He turned out to be a BlackBerry games addict who couldn’t seem to keep his lunch off his tie. He relished the perception that he was a “player” in Juneau politics, but we were never sure which team he was on.

The fact that his shirt was buttoned one button off, lunch had landed on his tie, his fly was unzipped, and his shirttail was poking through it, didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

He had worked in the capitol and used to be a lobbyist. He was an “insider,” so we thought we should hire at least one of them to show us where the light switches were. “These guys need to be reminded that you were elected on your promise of ‘no more politics-as-usual,’ ” he said. “You gotta go in there and tell lawmakers up front, ‘All of you here are in need of some adult supervision.’ Trust me, I know this stuff, they want to hear it.” So I followed his advice. I had my come-to-Jesus meeting with legislators. They didn’t quite want to hear it. When the fallout began after that meeting, I looked at the legislative director. He looked at the ground and shrugged as if to say, “Wasn’t me.”

This guy was on the Murkowski team, and Dan is hearing he blew it big time. Seriously, read it all, it is very interesting stuff.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

THROW. THEM. ALL. OUT.

PappyD61 on August 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I did. I’m just not all that interested in what lawyers say unnamed staffers saw. That’s just playing to the press.

Your boring me now.

My what?

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Good reading.

the_nile on August 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

the_nile on August 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Who’s laughing now, eh?

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

There seems to be this sort of blood feud going on between Palin and the Murkowskis and I think all of that is getting mixed up in this race. Also, I am not sure if this is just some question of betrayal or whatever, or if it is the party going to give assistance to a sitting member when assistance is requested. I am not saying that is a good thing to do, but Murkowski is the incumbent and is a member of the Senate and has been part of the GOP in Alaska for many years. It sounds like turf battles and infighting to me. Hopefully the final count will be decisive enough that there will be no question as to who the winner really is. I hope it is Miller, I am a fan Palin’s and I trust her judgment.

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:49 PM

In short, you get the axe handle, and I’ll bring the crowbar and a USMC K-BAR.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM
You two are my heroes!!

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Pfft – Forget that nonsense, Im takin’ this

TheVer on August 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Terrye on August 27, 2010 at 4:49 PM

You are right, there is the continuing intra-party fight up there.

I would just say that the Murky Clan made it very personal, from the days when Palin was on the state energy committee and blew the whistle on the AKGOP Chairman. They have had it out for her since then, and when she ran against Papa Murky for Gov, they tried all sorts of personal nasty whisper campaigns about her, very sexist kind of stuff. She won that race running against BOTH parties, first in the GOP, then she took on the AKDEMs running a former Gov, with not much help from the Repubs, and won anyway. They were hoping the Dem would knock her off in the General, so they could get ready to run another insider in 4 years and business as usual. Then when McCain rocked everything, the AKGOP were receptive to DCDEMs looking for dirt on her. They were sources for many of those stories that turned out to be untrue. It is bareknuckle up there, and the fight now has spread to the whole country.

She has been really ahead of the country in terms of political instincts. Her run for Gov was really a Tea Party campaign before there was a Tea Party, in hindsight it’s quite clear. No one should underestimate this lady, she knows what she is doing.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Pfft – Forget that nonsense, Im takin’ this

TheVer on August 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I’ll see your mini-gun, and raise you a 100megaton thermonuclear warhead.

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Fold

TheVer on August 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Your boring me now.
My what?

Ronnie on August 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

__________________________________________________________
The Alaska Division of Elections staff and Joe Miller’s staff observed Ms. Jack using confidential voter information and then calling a voter based on that information. The Miller team wants Ms. Jack disqualified.

Hmmm, so the ADOE is part of the Miller staff and not the state run elections group? You are in “Fact denial.”

I am going to assume the “My what” was not a lame sexist comment from you directed at me. But yes, people who cannot read and absorb facts bore me to DEATH. But just to be safe I will assume you are unable to have a dabate without ignoring the FACTS. IE it was not just Miller’s staff but the ELECTIONS BOARD who saw this as well as resorting to crude sexist comments.

So you are dead to me. I will not comment to you again.

Bikerchick on August 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I knew there was something dodgy about the way the party has received the Tea Parties. That’s why I gave it no money this year. Give to candidates, not committees.

flataffect on August 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Fold

TheVer on August 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Haha

Brian1972 on August 27, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Maybe it’ll be as accurate as the one showing Murkowski up by 20-something points a while back, or all those polls showing Palin to be about as popular as a snakebite in Alaska.

ddrintn on August 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM

gary4205 on August 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I am beginning to wonder if they really are GOP at all. If they vote with the dems all the time, aren’t they really dems?

wi farmgirl on August 27, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Cornyn is really an Establishment guy.

Thats too bad.

texasconserv on August 27, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Remember that next time he comes up for election.

wi farmgirl on August 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM

So are RINOs like the aliens in “V”? They wear Republican masks but underneath is a lizard looking democrat?

darwin on August 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I don’t think they are even RINO’s I think they are Dems for real.

wi farmgirl on August 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Wow, where does she think that seat is, Golden Corral? Smorgasbord, here we go! And no, nah-ah, she’s not power-hungry/sarc

ProudPalinFan on August 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

The GOP has betrayed you:
Scozzafava
Crist
Specter
Miller

Over and over again Mr Limbaugh keeps you on the GOP leash.

True_King on August 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM

You obviously don’t listen to Rush.

wi farmgirl on August 27, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I don’t think they are even RINO’s I think they are Dems for real.

wi farmgirl on August 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM

If you are old enough to remember the 60′s:
Look at it this way:

JFK / Scoop Jackson style Democrats = Today’s RINOs
SDS Radicals / Black Panthers / Weather Undergorund = Today’s DEMs

Red State State of Mind on August 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Party rules not the people. Just send them your money, they will decide what to do with…mmm… sounds like the unions.

Wade on August 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM

So no, I still don’t get why the NRSC is helping her out AP

Does the name Arlen Specter mean anything to you?

I for one, appreciate the moves of the Rino-NC. It keeps me from falling into the trap of assuming they are on my side

‘Arlen Specter’ kept me from falling into the trap of assuming Bush had my best interests at heart.

The only bad part, I am starting to lose faith in the Florida elections, now I see the chad busters heading up to Alaska

entagor on August 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM