Friday night bombshell: Petraeus is … an Enya fan

posted at 7:40 pm on August 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

I don’t know. This is like finding out that Patton was into orchids.

I’ve never questioned his judgment before. I’m questioning it now.

GRIFFIN: Is there any music that you particularly like? Are you a classical music guy? Are you a pop, are you a Taylor Swift guy?

PETRAEUS: No, no. I’m an Enya guy. I don’t know if Enya’s still –

GRIFFIN: Enya?

PETRAEUS: I haven’t bought a CD in years.

GRIFFIN: Oh, that is hysterical.

PETRAEUS: I do like Celtic music. And Enya is among those and that kind of thing.

I always figured stone-cold warriors were into, er, Cheap Trick and Blue Oyster Cult. Imagine my surprise. Two nice things about this, though: (1) Now we know for sure that he’ll never run for president, and (2) public respect for Petraeus is such that his endorsement can transform the endorsee’s image almost instantaneously. I never thought I’d ask this question, but I guess I have to: Dude, is Enya now officially badass?

In honor of the moment, I give you Hot Air’s new victory music. If the GOP cleans up on election night, we shall rock hard to this triumphant groove. Exit question: Is Stan McChrystal a Lisa Loeb fan or something?

Update (Ed): Get this man some Chieftains or Lunasa, stat!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I listen to lot of different things. Rock. Rock and Roll. Jazz. Classical. Big Band. Celtic. Country. Blues. Depends on my mood. I’ve got a couple of Enya’s CD’s and I like them. They seem to go well with my Loreena McKennitt CD’s.

trigon on August 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM

CaptainNed on August 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I love Clannad. And when Enya went off on her own, I bought her stuff. I still do.
She’s great.
My cowboy husband even likes Celtic music. He still shakes his head at that. Doesn’t understand it himself.

Badger40 on August 27, 2010 at 10:07 PM

When The producers of ‘Riverdance’ brought it to NYC they had a perfect show…that they proceeded to @#$% up because they wanted to make it more showy for US audiences.

THIS is the REAL thing.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM

canopfor on August 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I’m serious…
From where you’re at…I suggest the mid Jersey coast…
Point Pleasant Beach…

jerrytbg on August 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Okay, this is the real deal. This is what the General really listens to.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Okay, this is the real deal. This is what the General really listens to.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Um ALLAH-we need a ban hammer is aisle one.
LoL *grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM

HEhehehehe, I’m surprised I was the first.

Oh, and some Master and Commander just for you.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

This doesn’t fall under don’t ask don’t tell?

/s

Hog Wild on August 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Oh, and some Master and Commander just for you.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I hope Santa fills up your stocking with a family of Brown Recluses for that.
Now if you’ll excuse me-I need to ‘fill up my senses’ with something highly caustic so I can scrape that song out of my my brain.
LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Oh, and some Master and Commander just for you.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I had to turn that off after a few seconds. I happen to like Crowe, and this movie especially. I hope that JD does not pop into my head when watching Gladiator.

If so, I’ll be coming for you.

BobMbx on August 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Holger: did you just “Rick Roll” us?
Not cool!

Gwillie on August 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Wild Turkey should do the trick.

Holger on August 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I think General Petraeus has penned his very own song. I sneaked a copy. I can not read musical notation so I don’t know if it was enya or not but the words went something like this.

Give me just a little more time
And the Afghan’s love for freedom will surely grow
Give me just a little more time
And the Afghan’s love for freedom will surely grow

Ever leaving Afghanistan would be a mistake
Let’s think of how wonderful Islam could be and hesitate
Almost broke and the troops as tired as they may be
But there’s no need to act selfishly

If we part Afghanistan, Allah won’t forget it
Years from now he’ll surely make us regret it
You don’t understand how wonderful Islam could be and you’re in a hurry
They’re not eager to reject Sharia but don’t you worry

I’ll win their hearts and minds and then they’ll want the American way of life
But these things don’t come overnight
Don’t give up ‘cos Afghan progress has been of so slow
Boy, we’re gonna succeed if we just with even more courageous restrain go

Cheshire Cat on August 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Cheshire Cat on August 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM

It’s not Enya-It’s ‘Lord of the Dance’.

annoyinglittletwerp on August 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Second look at Enya!

nukemhill on August 28, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Real men don’t get the vapors if other people don’t like their music, that’s what real men don’t do.

Merovign on August 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM

That dress makes her hips look big.

Rosmerta on August 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I’m a big Enya fan. I have all of her CDs and I listen to one every Sunday morning. I find her music relaxing and inspiring.
One of my favorite songs is How Can I Keep From Singing.
I don’t understand how anyone with a soul can fail to be inspired by a beautiful woman with the most beautiful voice I’ve ever heard who writes lyrics like this:

My life goes on in endless song
above earth’s lamentations.
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it’s music ringing.
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

When tyrants tremble in their fear
and hear their death knell ringing.
when friends rejoice both far and near
how can I keep from singing?

In prison cell and dungeon-vile
our thoughts to them are winging.
when friends by shame are undefiled
how can I keep from singing?

single stack on August 28, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Massive firepower swooping in:

♫♪ Kill da waa-bit,

Kill da waaaaa-bit,

Kill da waaaaaaaaaa-bit,

dum-de-dum-dummmmmmmm ♪♫

viking01 on August 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I always loved Enya, though I realzie that she is/was way more popular in Europe than here. Not so much lately though….don’t think she released anything since ‘Amarantine’ in 2005. But she’s great and I find her style quite original. I think the Canadian Loreena McKennitt coems close when it comes to Celtic music.

jimver on August 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM

FWIW, I like Enya too, and Celtic music. Petraeus is my kinda soldier.

eaglesdontflock on August 28, 2010 at 2:36 AM

what if his band were “Drowning Pool”??

ted c on August 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Then the Left would use that to connect water-boarding to “Betray us”.

V-rod on August 28, 2010 at 4:32 AM

I always liked the song although I never knew who she is. I guess it has something to do with being stationed in Europe, they listen to all sorts of strange music.

Mr. Grump on August 28, 2010 at 7:10 AM

No way!!!!
How do you like them apples?

‘Telephone’ Lady GAGA!!

Monas on August 28, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I had never heard this song or this woman but let me say, as a Marine who has stood in the middle of bullets, body parts, blood, and expolsions; firing my own weapon without seeing who or what was rushing at me and knowing I was about to die and determined by training to kill as many of them as I could, I would put myself in a state of oblivion and surely would have liked this music and vison to wash over me as I decided I was going to die. After watching and listening I believ Patreaus can relate also.It is a war song. The Viking like vessel; the mention of Tripoli and Coral Sea; the ethreal lady clad in white as the wind blows….put that song on the Cobra’s sound systems, give me a weapon and lets get it on homey!!

jarhead0311 on August 28, 2010 at 8:17 AM

For me, there is something enjoyable about Enya. I thought that my maternal Scottish heritage made me amendable to liking Celtic music, which by the way was in part developed by women walking a battlefield after the battle singing.

Phil Byler on August 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I remember the song/music from long ago. I loved it but couldn’t understand the words. The video is beautiful and the General may have started a resurgence in her popularity. :~)

And no, her hips look fine; curves are good.

jatfla on August 28, 2010 at 9:08 AM

That paragraph shows that you don’t understand why warriors fight. They don’t love death and destruction. They place themselves in the path of evil to keep gentle, peaceful souls like Enya away from danger so they can create beauty.
Warriors put their lives on the line for the creators of beauty and prosperity so they can live and create unmolested by evil to the benefit of us all. It is the warriors who make peace, prosperity and beauty possible.
Men like General Petraeus make it possible for pacifists to exist. Though I have nothing but contempt for “peace activists” and anti war protestors since their pacifism is borne of cowardice, I wouldn’t want to live in a world without pacifists like Enya, whose pacifism is borne of gentleness.
I’m not at all suprised that General Petraeus would like her. She’s who he fights for.

single stack on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Well, i would expect him to listen to Carcass, but Enya? C’mon…

madne0 on August 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM

viking01 on August 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM

One of my favorites. People can’t understand when I start laughing at that music in Apocalypse Now…

karl9000 on August 28, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Enya? not bad.

Most soldiers I know like Metallica, AC/DC, 3 Doors Down, Flogging Molly, U2, And Linkin Park.

Honestly I have noticed the theme of alternating between rock and Irish music (and bands that transition between the two)

Jones Zemkophill on August 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM

This is awesome. Now I am in love!

J.E. Dyer on August 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I would also point out that Celtic music comes from a region that has been war torn and famine struck for a very long time. Consider The Scottish Soldier (Warning: Link Plays MIDI music)

The tune is relentlessly cheerful. The lyrics are about a soldier dying on a battlefield far from home, and how he will never see the Highland hills again.

Then there’s The Foggy Dew.

‘Twas England bade our wild geese go
That small nations might be free;
Their lonely graves are by Suvla’s waves
On the fringe of the grey North Sea.
But had they died by Pearse’s side
Or fought with Valera true,
Their graves we’d keep where the Fenians sleep,
‘Neath the hills of the foggy dew.

Modern Rock is “My girlfriend is unbearable.” Old folk music more along the lines, “I’m buried in a foreign country. My true love, who I never knew, weeps for me at the dock to where I will never return.”

Voyager on August 28, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Gee, I guess that Enya’s music is Celtic since she is Irish, but…when I think of Celtic music, I think of the Chieftains or Altan et al who perform traditional Irish.

Having said that, I love Enya, especially Orinoco Flow. It appeals very, very strongly to my Sailor’s heart. Every time I hear it I get an almost irresistible urge to “set the sea and anchor detail!”

It passes.

NavyMustang on August 28, 2010 at 5:18 PM

single stack on August 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Only because they’re not worth mentioning…
The rest is the purest of prose…

jerrytbg on August 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I like Enya and all….and I’m all for tough guys living a balanced life and stuff….but certain things should remain private. This doesn’t exactly inspire fear and dread in the enemy.

Sun Tzu is rolling over in his grave.

mistythestripper on August 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM

mistythestripper on August 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM

I beg to differ…He’s sticking it to the islamo’s…
Telling them he enjoys listening to a beautiful woman singing like an angel…
And we all know how they feel about women…
This may have been subtle and overlooked by many here, but they understood.

jerrytbg on August 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Enya fan here…

tartan on August 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM

**This may have been subtle and overlooked by many here, but they understood.

jerrytbg on August 28, 2010 at 8:47 PM**

No, I don’t think they did. These are barbaric, low functioning societies. They value brutality, strong centralized leadership and dominance. The West’s failure to accept this is why we are losing in Afghanistan and Iraq will fall when we leave. All cultures are not like us and never will be.

mistythestripper on August 29, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Misty,
I don’t disagree with the inevitable outcome you describe…to a point…
Nor was I speaking solely of Afghanistan …
Remember, Petraus was head of Centcom and to a degree still is… de facto.
Hell, that may have been aimed more at the mullahs in iran ‘) …
I believe so… they are just next door…
I stand by my belief it was a planned release of info for the reason stated… we can agree to disagree on that…
and, there’s more to come.

jerrytbg on August 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM

So… Orinoco Flow is the new Humpbot?

Beo on August 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM