The obligatory “Ed Schultz allegedly flips out over something or other at MSNBC” post

posted at 5:20 pm on August 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m as surprised as you are. He’s always seemed like such a calm, mellow customer.

MSNBC talk show screamer Ed Schultz had a meltdown in the network’s 30 Rock newsroom, shouting at staff, “I’m going to torch this [bleep]ing place.”

A witness told us, “Ed was furious the network was running election-night promos and he wasn’t in them. He’d been arguing on the phone with marketing, then he slammed down the phone and exploded. It was like Mel Gibson had entered the newsroom.”…

Fuming Schultz was immediately dragged in for a meeting with NBC News President Steve Capus and MSNBC President Phil Griffin following his Aug. 12 meltdown.

Our source added, “Schultz was told: ‘If you do that again, you are fired.’ He broke down crying.”

Reasons to doubt that the story’s true: (1) It comes from Page Six, which of course trades in gossip and has a history of dueling with MSNBC hosts; (2) Two weeks between the alleged meltdown happening and news of it leaking out seems like a long lag time, no? (3) Could even Big Ed’s ego be so fragile that he’d react this way to not being given a two-second mention in a promo? That seems … well, actually, scratch that last one.

Any reason to think the story is true, apart from the traditional reports of infighting and personality clashes and even occasional on-air pissiness among the talent at the DNC’s favorite network? Actually, yeah. Here’s video from “Morning Joe” clipped by Inside Cable News back on August 13, the day after Schultz’s alleged tirade. ICN says Scarborough’s parting line struck him as inexplicable at the time — but not anymore. What a catch.

Comments

Bloated no talent hack.

50sGuy on August 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM

somebody’s got a case of the Mondays….

ted c on August 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM

What’s happening to us – the REAL people out here – is nothing to these liberal gutsacks. The only thing that matters is face time with a camera.

AubieJon on August 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Talking Heads “Burning Down the House”

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Can’t.Stop.Laughing.

Emily M. on August 26, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Wait a tic,does Ed Schultz have an alibi,
*wink–wink*,Carnahan!!!!!!

I’m kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

It’s true. It too coincidental that Joe said the same exact line the day after it allegedly happened. And you can see the uncomfortable, “shut up!” reaction of the other anchors.

amerpundit on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Ed Schultz allegedly flips out

AGAIN?!

… he slammed down the phone and exploded … He broke down crying.

And just wait to see what he does AFTER the elections!

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Joe has verified the report and I like the way he did it. Poor ed, he is a sick puppy. Calling Dr Laura!

tim c on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Demented
Incorrigible
Venal
A%%hole

Firefly_76 on August 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Is there anyone sane on MSNBC these days?

neoavatara on August 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Schultz lacks the intellectual seriousness, steady even temper, likable personality of the more objective “journalists” at MSNBC like Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews. /s

simkeith on August 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Give the man his stapler back

dc84123 on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Did you call them “talent”?

DAT60A3 on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Interesting juxtaposition with the

“But the reason we’re going to keep the majority will be because of their crazies”

story in the headlines.

Chip on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

==========================
Wait till November,a Full Scale Flameing Liberal Sh*t Storm
morphing from a brush sh*t fire into a massive,

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

El Crapo,linky screw-up,try this!
=================================================

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for the laugh.

All sounds implausible but possible with this subject.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

A man with a stiff spine and firm conviction. I pulled that kind of stuff with my parents when I was five. And I learned quickly that it didn’t work.

Ed clearly doesn’t work and play well with others. Did MSNBC send a note home to his mother?

BuckeyeSam on August 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM

And just wait to see what he does AFTER the elections!

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Hope it is of biblical proportions.

fourdeucer on August 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

“I’m gonna to torch this place!”

Wow, threatening to burn the place down, eh? I thought only us rightwingers resort to violence? You libs are supposed to be so calm and willing to negotiate.

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM

He broke down crying

He was also overheard between sobs “I want my mommy”.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM

This MSNBC bunch seems to be a bit on the unstable side. I’d like to know more but not at the expense of watching that wretched outlet.

Mason on August 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM

He’s the Alan Grayson of news hosts. It’s to be expected.

Scrappy on August 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM

… but not at the expense of watching that wretched outlet. – Mason

Actually it’s not bad when they put on shows like ‘LOCK UP’ and ‘To Catch A Predator’.

Chris Hansen: “What are ya doin’ here? … Have a seat right there.”

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I can’t stop laughing!

Dusty on August 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

And just wait to see what he does AFTER the elections!

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Tony737: Its gonna be Biblical!!!:)

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM

All of MSNBC will be crying and have Gray Poupon in their diapers after Nov. 02, 2010. – Schadenfreude

Hahaha I bet that burns!

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I suppose I’ll have to tivo MSNBC on election night, just to capture the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Vashta.Nerada on August 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Ed SchultzHasZeeCatiniptionHerrSh*tInzeeFitsAgain!

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

And just wait to see what he does AFTER the elections!

Tony737 on August 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Hope it is of biblical proportions.

fourdeucer on August 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I hope it’s during a live broadcast!

dmh0667 on August 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I’d like to know more but not at the expense of watching that wretched outlet.

[Mason on August 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM]

I never watch TV, but I’ll tell you, they’re tempting me to watch what sounds like a comedy show that runs 24/7.

Dusty on August 26, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Tabloid news from inside an organization who is a MAJOR purveyor of tabloid news.

listens2glenn on August 26, 2010 at 5:50 PM

That was the day they were making fun of the guy from Politico that has 3 cats. I thought the obelisk in the picture was weirder. It’s actually days like that one that are why I watch Morning Joe, it makes me laugh in the morning and feeds my political junkie side, even if they irritate me with how left they lean.

And Chris Jansing should replace Mika, I very much enjoy her more. She’s much more easy going, which fits that show, and Mika is just so predictable & doctrinaire in her leftyism, and frankly dumb. Plus, she’s a total food nazi, though how Willie, Joe & Barnacle tweak her over that cracks me up.

lizzie beth on August 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Wait till November,a Full Scale Flameing Liberal Sh*t Storm

canopfor on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I may watch MSNBC on the night of Nov 2nd, just to see if Ed actually hurls a Molotov cocktail on the set.

Now that would be pure television gold.

JohnGalt23 on August 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I think we will see a great number of MSM cheerleaders come down with bad cases of Demmhohhria of the mouth.

/No sympathy here. They asked for it, swallowed the agenda and the message and now? Demmhohhria. So painful and unrelenting. Not to worry. The syndrome will only last another 70 days or so.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Allah,

Would it be possible on election night that instead of the “Humpbot” we could get a split screen with Ed on one side and the clip from “Scanners” with the guys head exploding? I think it would be more fitting.

milwife88 on August 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Reportedly, Scarborough and others on his show that day (the day after the incident) all used the “I’m gonna torch this place” line. It wasn’t just at the end of the show.

Here’s a transcript of the show that day: Morning Joe.

The line was used 11 times that morning.

SteveMG on August 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Liberalism is a progressive disease. Poor Ed is just reacting to the senseless stimuli that cloud his tortured soul. Nothing new here. Things will get worse as the disease “progresses”.

volsense on August 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Bo Bo da Clownnnnnn !

Hummer53 on August 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM

The adults are in charge, Ed.

Del Dolemonte on August 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Joe loves to throw in zingers to the night crew like that. But he’s too spineless to get the heck out of Dodge. It would be funny if he was the only one kept after Comcast takes over.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM

MSLSD better make sure they are up to date on their insurance payments and confirm coverage of psychiatric care in their plans before November.

Joe Caps on August 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Give the man his stapler back

dc84123 on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Are you inviting a massacre by stapler at PMSNBC? No! Don’t give him a stapler. Give him a spork and a plastic pudding cup.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Schultz is an uber moron. That’s how he got on MSNBC. He actually believes Obama.

darwin on August 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

It would be funny if he was the only one kept after Comcast takes over.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Several months ago, I called the “Ed show” after a peculiar Ed Rant. Guess who answered? Ed! Guess who taped it? Me!

The guy is nutsyfagen. He let loose like a lunatic. Ranting and raving and demanding who I was and who I worked for and why I was calling him in the middle of a melt down. I still have the digital recording. Just waiting to see more expose’ on Ed before I release it..

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

He broke down crying

That’s where this story really runs off the reality rails.

eeyore on August 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Darwin, spot on.

cmsinaz on August 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I would love to see the whole bunch let go, but it would be funny if Comcast kept Scarborough. Ed has no viewership and is too much of a loose cannon. He should be shown the door.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Scarboroughs little “reenactment” is classic.

portlandon on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

***

lizzie beth on August 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM

The week Jansing subbed for Mika B. was wonderful. She’s a contrast from Mika, O’Donnell (whom they occasionally wake up early, why I don’t know), Tina Whatever from the Daily Beast, and the parade of shrill women they usually feature.

Today, when the subject of Carter’s administration came up and Joe teed off on Cyrus Vance, Mika started pounding him in the chest. I think he struck a nerve.

BuckeyeSam on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

He truly is the Poster Blob for Unhinged Liberal Butt Hurt.

I’m waiting for a vein in his forehead to explode one of these days.

BigWyo on August 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM

If Lawrence O’Donnell did this I would find it a lot funnier – somehow he’s easier to hate than Ed Schultz. I think Ed has some very serious emotional issues that he needs help with.

Dork B. on August 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Good to see that a former union thug never loses their zeal for violence.

ClassicCon on August 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Whoa. I didn’t believe it until I saw the Morning Joe clip.

Caiwyn on August 26, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Ed always struck me as the sort of guy that sneaks into Olbermann’s office at 4 am, snips a tiny piece off the carpet, and sends it off to be analyzed, to see if it’s of a higher quality than the carpet in his office.

The Lone Platypus on August 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Release it here!

darwin on August 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Reason I believe it happened? The lefties think it’s true. They have backing away from Ed for a while now.

di butler on August 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM

[The Lone Platypus on August 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM]

Kind of a Hank Kingsley on meth.

Dusty on August 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Poor Ed.

BKeyser on August 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Poor Ed Redux.

BKeyser on August 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Is MSNBC going to go dark for a day after the November elections?

Asher on August 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Can’t someone tell old Mr. Ed (a horse is a horse, of course, of course) that Olbermann is out to get him? His delusions of grandeur could turn into a win, win situation.

joedoe on August 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Ed is one cheeseburger from a heart attack.

carbon_footprint on August 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Nora O usually comes on during the first hour, which makes me happy I get up @ 6 so I have a cushion to ff through her. She says some truly despicable things.

I’ve decided to watch FOX on Nov 2 & DVR DNCTV, cause it will be fun to watch their collective meltdown if things go at all like they seem to be heading. Morning Joe is their only semi mainstream show, and they’ve been hiding all the recent polls that show Rubio having eclipsed Crist, and hide pretty much all the polls that show how badly Ds are doing across the nation. I wonder if the folks that watch the network get information from other places, because if they don’t they’re going to wonder what the heck happened on Nov 3.

I’ve always felt like conservatives have a much better handle on libs than the other way around, and wonder if that premise extends further.

lizzie beth on August 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM

aka “Thursday”

malclave on August 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Seriously, Eddie needs to seek some professional help. Maybe R. Lee Ermey?

GarandFan on August 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I have a heart, and do feel for Ed SchultZ. After all, he staked his life, reputation and career on Obama and now he’s being shut out. I’ll hold the audio tape for now.

It’s amusing, though. I think he might have a drinking prollem but who am I to say. I just hope he’s okay.

((((((ED))))) It’s okay.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Seriously, Eddie needs to seek some professional help. Maybe R. Lee Ermey?

GarandFan on August 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Garand, I love your posts and insights. I just don’t think we should kick a man in the groin when he’s down and out.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think what we should do is embrace those who fell for the Great Lie of the Century and just hang on to eachother. Let’s dig ourselves out of this hole together.

Anyone who still spouts or falls for the HopenChange? Fair game and I can be a really mean person. It was all a lie. Personally, I don’t admire liars.

Key West Reader on August 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

BuckeyeSam on August 26, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Forgot to comment on this, that was HILARIOUS! The whole thing, and imagining Jimmah in a Speedo is…well…not what I want to imagine. I will say the one thing I would miss about Mika is how personally she takes any criticism of Obama. The way her jaw locked up this morning when Willie – no right winger he – brought up the ‘We’re trying to buy shrimp’ deal and the double standard with W was priceless.

lizzie beth on August 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Seriously, Eddie needs to seek some professional help. Maybe R. Lee Ermey?

GarandFan on August 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I just spit my drink, “Can it numb-nuts!!! You grabasstic piece of whale shit!!! Did your parents have any children that lived?”

M-14 2go on August 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Give the man his stapler back

dc84123 on August 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing!

I’m surpised no one posted a link to THIS

flyfishingdad on August 26, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Cried like a little girl…?

d1carter on August 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Looks like MSNBC has some E.D. problems.

chickasaw42 on August 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Just out of curiosity, what Aug 12 meltdown?

Sir Napsalot on August 26, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Just watched a very funny video at Newsbusters where Joe Scarborough and Willie Guiste are making fun of Obama’s “I’m buying shrimp here” to reporters questioning him about Iraq and Mika Brzenski looks spitting mad – I mean like she’s going to explode. I hate to say this – I HATE to say this – but MSNBC is becoming quite the place to be (watching).

Marcus on August 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

If he is fired he can at least fall back on his recurring roll on the Austin Powers sequels. Fat bast4rd.

esnap on August 26, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I have said in the past that I have a theory that the way MSNBC recruits its talk show hosts is by visiting the padded cell division of the Violent Ward of the nearest insane asylum in the vicinity and find the best qualified candidate based on who can chew their way through their straitjacket in the shortest span of time.

Thank you Ed Schultz for proving my theory.

pilamaye on August 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Ed Schultz is the single biggest butthead on any of the “news” networks. I’m from Texas and I know there is a lot of cultural differences and politics is one big one. I have my favorite news outlet,but I flip through all of them just to be informed. One day Ed was just throwing a hissy fit and red faced, veins bulging, and just talking awful about Texas in the worst way. That day was the last time I will ever watch that really awful waste of protoplasm. I’m sure he or anyone gives a dang what I think,but I got news for Ed. Someday he might need some good ol’ Texas hospitality after he’s kicked out on his self righteous butt… But Ed, I got news for ya’..We don’t want you here…we’re doing way better without you.

Dakotobol on August 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM

M ost
S tupid
N ews
B ulls**ting
C lowns on TV

byteshredder on August 26, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Ed needs a Midol.I did like Joe taking a little batting practice there.

Southernblogger on August 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Marcus on August 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM

They didn’t have the locked down jaw that Mika got over this discussion. I don’t remember if it was the first time it came up, or the second, but she was pissed.

Morning Joe is actually a good show – much of the time. Some of it it’s too easy to remember this is DNCTV. The first hour though this morning was hilarious, between this episode and the story about Jimmah in a Speedo outside at Camp David with snow covering the ground in a heated pool while the energy crisis was going on and he was telling everyone to set their thermostats to 67 was good stuff.

lizzie beth on August 27, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Just wait until you see Olbergoebbels after November 2nd. He’ll be wearing one of those white tuxedos with the sleeves that tie in the back…Karma is a bitch…..

adamsmith on August 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Fat Ed is just reflecting the unstable psyche of a liberal suffering from feelings of total inferiority that control their every conscious moment. They lash out constantly with filthy name calling to compensate for their deep rooted feelings of insecurity. Basically it is just spoiled brats making an ass of themselves to the world as they try to deflect their inadequacies. Standard operating procedures for brainwashed lemmings.

volsense on August 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Ed, this isn’t GE’s MSNBC anymore!!! DUH!!!

capejasmine on August 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM

If all one needs to get a job like Ed Schultz has, and to earn a lot of money doing so, is to spew a bunch of nonsense, vomit hatred, bigotry, prejudice, racism, venemous comments, lies, distortions, fabrications, etc., and to scream and shout really loud, engage in temper tantrums, and so forth, then I’m in.

Give me that job!

I’ll be number one within a week, and I’ll remain at number one for decades to come.

Sh@# F#@#%!!!! Da@^ Cr*@ those @#D@% Conservatives!!!!!

That Stoooooppppeeeed George W. Bush, the F@#%@#% in’ #@3(( ‘!!!!!!! @##%%((((j

Those racist Republicans are so @##%%# @###* @@###8
###%%%@@SWZZ@@@ ZZZ!!!!!

How did I do in my online audition?

William2006 on August 27, 2010 at 11:19 AM