New Blue Dogs midterm strategy: Joking about Pelosi’s death

posted at 1:07 pm on August 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Well, that’s one way to distance yourself from the Democratic leadership. Coming soon: Kendrick Meek guffawing about somebody cutting Harry Reid’s brake lines?

Remember, though, according to the AP, it’s the Republicans who are mired in an intra-party civil war.

Bright, who is facing a battle against Montgomery City Councilwoman Martha Roby this fall, joked that Pelosi might lose her own election, decide not to run for the speaker’s job or otherwise not be available.

He suggested, jokingly he insisted to his audience, that Pelosi could fall ill and die in coming months. That remark drew laughter from the crowd.

Though he has a reputation as the second most independent member of Congress, he has been routinely blasted for voting for Pelosi to be speaker.

This is the guy whose ridiculous ad I flagged just yesterday for straining so hard to pander to conservatives in his Alabama district that it’d make Dale Peterson blush. He won by less than one thin point two years ago, when the big blue wave was sweeping America. Assuming he survives this year — which seems exceedingly unlikely — a party switch is now a fait accompli, right?

Comments

Geeze, I hate what Pelosi is doing to this country as much as the next guy, but joking around about her death? Not cool. And that’s not even counting the “what if a (R) said it?” factor.

DrAllecon on August 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM

One can only wonder what the MFM would say if, gasp, a Republican had said this. This should be weapons grade campaign fodder.

Johnnyreb on August 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Hey guess what — his opponent is a solid GOP, Martha Roby

How about sending her a few bucks?

picklesgap on August 26, 2010 at 1:10 PM

“A joke is an epigram on the death of a feeling” – Friedrich Nietzsche

Or the death of a cruel joke, the worst Speaker of the House, ever.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I don’t want her to die, I just want her powerless to affect my life any longer.

Is that too much to ask?

I think not.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I’ll be happy just to see that gavel taken away from her.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

The Demonrats are eating each other right in front of our eyes.

My collie says:

Maybe we should offer them some barbecue sauce, or somethin’.

CyberCipher on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Perhaps much a do about nothing, as in the odds Pelosi losing her election or not decide not to run for the speaker’s job would be as likely she will die in coming months. As in, it is not going to happen.

albill on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

WAI?!

Christien on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Palomino!

lorien1973 on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

What a bunch of sick f***s (as His Imperial Majesty of the Rottweiler would say).

If Pelosi went to meet her Maker before the election (unlikely — she’s only threescore-and-ten), I can’t say I’d be sad (except for her family), but I sure wouldn’t laugh out loud.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM

OT interruption, but Jonah Goldberg posted this non-gag, which will make you gag. A redesign of our banknotes in the works?

Welcome to Zimbabwe.

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I think it is a good paln by this dem. i bet he wins.

run away from obama Pelsoi and Reid.

the GOp’s job is to not allow them.

unseen on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

That said, if Pelosi ever gets voted out (hey, I can dream), then I’ll skip around singing “Ding dong, the witch is dead!” :-)

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

A redesign of our banknotes in the works?

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

And I shall futterwacken most vigorously.

CyberCipher on August 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

If she loses the gavel, she’s one of 435, in the minority party and for all intents and purposes, completely irrelevant.

I’ll be fine with her having to hang around Congress, stripped of her non-Queen bee status having lost a huge Congressional Majority through her gross incompetence and shameless corruption.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I’ll light it on fire as an act of protest.

If I wanted a personality cult I’d move to Venezuela, or Zimbabwe or North Korea.

Holger on August 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

It won’t be worth anything anyway but save it in case there are Charmin shortages.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Death is too easy. I’d rather see her suffer.

pedestrian on August 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I will never forget the day Harry Reid died.

When was that, 1995?

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM

DEM townhall strategy:

“I opposed Pelosi/Reid on everything I didn’t vote for!”

BobMbx on August 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Not a chance. The competition isn’t being held by the Treasury or the Mint, but by some design firm. Doesn’t mean anything.

MadisonConservative on August 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Bright is the first Democrat since the 1960s to represent the conservative district, which includes parts of Montgomery and southeast Alabama.

He fooled them good, the goof folks from Alabama.

Schadenfreude on August 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM

There’s so much anger and hatred on the left. Obama should do something to tamp this down.

faraway on August 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM

MadisonConservative on August 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

At the rate that we are spiraling downhill, I discount nothing. Haven’t some Dem morons been discussing dropping the limitations on the number of terms the president can serve?

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I think I heard this once (not sure if it true)…but once the Speaker loses the position they usually retire.

terryannonline on August 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I would imagine that’s quieted down somewhat lately.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

terryannonline on August 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Probably true but she’s an historical Speaker, as in “first woman” and “worst ever”.

I think we should persuade her to stay, it will keep the embers of our discontent burning.

Besides, San Francisco will probably just elect another Maoist to replace her.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Likely he’ll get called on the carpet by Madamn Speaker for a serious @ss-chewing.

It’s the headline with her mug front center on Drudge.

Yeah, civil war in the GOP – pfft.

tru2tx on August 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I’ll be happy just to see that gavel taken away from her.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

From gavel to the grave.

blatantblue on August 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Sounds like this guy can expect a late night visit from the Nazgul, who will be dispatched by Pelosi direct from her summer home in Mordor.

pilamaye on August 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

No where in this ad does he identify himself as a Democrat. The newspaper headline says “the most conservative”, but leaves off the word “Democrat.” The GOP is right to identify him as a guy who voted for Pelosi to be Speaker.

mydh12 on August 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Rush is talking about this now.

Mont’y is just 45 miles down the road from me. Bright was a terrible mayor but popular with the Dems – how does that happen??

AubieJon on August 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Be careful what you wish for seems highly appropriate here!

capejasmine on August 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

MadisonConservative on August 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Fair point. However, the current series of Presidential dollar coins must, eventually, arrive at the current incumbent. Therefore, we will be staring at #44′s ugly jug-eared mug on the U.S. dollar at some point, and sadly, it will not be in a form we can burn or wipe with, though I do thank Holger and NoDonkey for the thoughts!

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I never believed she was a live human, but an escaped animatron from Disney.

gbear on August 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

These people are violent.

Tea Party Group Hit With Death Threats

faraway on August 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Independent Conservative.
Bwahahaha

Southernblogger on August 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

They will produce a new birth certificate that shows that Obama just turned 35. Since his first term was illegal according to that, it does’t count against the 2 term limit.

pedestrian on August 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Hey Allah (and Ed – the great poster of economic issues):

Rep Bright is my representative. I generally liked him as our Mayor (Montgomery, AL). Yesterday he told the local Chamber of Commerce that we needed another house buying tax credit.

Bright: Another home sales tax credit needed

Don’t get too hasty on the party change. Of course, I guess there are plenty of our ruling class Republicans that would agree with him. Maybe if they started reading Ed’s posts (almost every morning now) on the economy and how things really work…..

I don’t know much about Ms. Robey, yet, except that she is like a lot of those already in Congress – been a lawyer and in politics her whole (brief) career.

dbageotech on August 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

If their wishing for the death of one of their top leaders, what are they thinking for us “bitter clingers”?

Rebar on August 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I don’t want Pelosi dead; I want her to have to live like the rest of us under the insane laws she helped to pass. I want her to deal with obtaining health care the way the rest of us do. I want her having to give up her jets, and her motorcade, and drive a compact, just like too many of us have to do. I want her having to clip coupons, just like too many of us have to. This should be the curse on all of congress, senate and presidents; to have to live under the laws they pass, without exception.

john1schn on August 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Southernblogger on August 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

They’re very conservative 99%.

Except when their vote is needed to pass some craptastic liberal legislation then POOF, they “grow”.

Never fails.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

A vote for a lying blue dog is a vote for Pelosi.

Never forget.

tarpon on August 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Liberals have a weird sense of humor. Always “JOKING” about someone’s death. Yeah. Right.

GarandFan on August 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Never fails.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Don’t get them wet, and don’t feed them after midnight.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

The only reason that Bobby Bright was elected Congressman is that State Senator Harri Anne Smith was beaten by Jay Love in the GOP primary and rather than endorse Jay Love, Sen. Smith endorsed Bobby Bright.
Thankfully, the GOP told Senator Smith that because she endorsed the opposition in 2008 she would not be eligible to run for re-election this year as a Republican and she is now having to run as an independent.
The GOP has a great canidate in Martha Roby. It’s going to be difficult for Rep. Bright to get re-elected in South Alabama, the Dems are not very popular at the moment.

Broomy on August 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I’ll be happy just to see that gavel taken away from her.

kingsjester on August 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Hope they disinfect it first!

heshtesh on August 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Not to worry. If someone offers you an Obama bill or coin just tell them you don’t accept Indonesian money.

Extrafishy on August 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

There’s already a currency for Obama. It’s called “The Yuan”:

The yuan (sign: 元; code: CNY) is, in the Chinese language, the base unit of a number of modern Chinese currencies.

ChrisB on August 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Coming soon: Kendrick Meek Jesse Jackson guffawing about somebody cutting Harry Reid’s brake lines Obama’s nuts off.

Oh, wait…

pain train on August 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Extrafishy on August 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Ooh, what a burn! (as we used to say in school — showing my age here) ;-)

There’s already a currency for Obama. It’s called “The Yuan”:

ChrisB on August 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Ouch. That’s true.

Arguably it’s the currency for Clinton, too. I remember seeing a cartoon of him (wish I could find it) captioned, “I did not have economic relations with that country, China.”

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

That would take a Constitutional Amendment, and they don’t have the votes now, let alone after the elections.

pedestrian on August 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

*Snicker* And that means none of his signatures is valid, so none of the bills Congress passed is actually a law. Instant repeal of everything this Congress has done. Are any of them really stupid enough to argue this?

LarryD on August 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Not bright?

I think it is almost brilliant. Cuts to the heart of emotions felt by many but expressed by no one, publicly.

FireBlogger on August 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM

When Pelosi has to fly coach again, she’ll probably long for death.

In fact, upgraded seats should really be forbidden to representatives, don’t you think? I think they should sit in emergency exit row middle seats, to show how selflessly patriotic they are.

perries on August 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Glenn Beck is right somebody does need to restore honor to this country.

Pathetic…and these same Dems, that followed her lead. I can pinpoint when it happened and how – Who likes “Obamacare” that got shoved down Americans throats? But they followed her even the Blue Dogs…

So now they are eating their own…which is also what the honor-less are known to do.

Dr Evil on August 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I thought she died 4 years ago from an overdose of BOTOX.

iam7545 on August 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I’m just kind of concerned if Bright has his way, Zombie Pelosi will be roaming the halls of Congress in 2011 (it’s pretty obvious that she and other Democrat Reps-for-life like Charlie Rangel plan on taking their seats with them when they die).

jon1979 on August 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Broomy is right , I live in the 2nd district here in Alabama, and we had a FULL field of conservative candidates and MS SMITH did in fact play dirty pool ,and she is involved in the FBI probe of vote changing here .
I live in Montgomery and Have met Bright , he doesnt even know how many floors were in the RSA tower when he tried to pitch office space to HYUNDAI .
Bright was ” undecided “on his vote against OBAMACARE until the very vote when all of our other elected officials announced they vote NO . Bright was a poor Mayor who Pandered to a special interest group that kept him in office .Bright has avoided town meetings , BUT he did get caught on video Bright defends Obamacare and Bright defends Stimulus
So Bright was FOR Obama care and PORKULUS before he was against it , a few townhalls and he quit showing up to face the angry voters
Bright is the target of a radio spot identifying him as NOT signing on to REPEAL Obamacare
Bright was elected in special election when Terry Everrett bailed out so he could circumvent rules on quitting congress and becoming a lobbyist
Bright was also caught up is trying to get the city to purchase his father in law’s riverfront property for an inflated amount and later, in shame , withdrew the proposal.
He is no conservative , more like a pandering Bill Clinton and Arlen Specter .His wife resigned her judgeship before he ran for Congress ,and I am surprised she was not appointed to a federal bench.
Lastly, and not trying to be funny or mean here , but this man has the LARGEST skull in the world it is easily bigger than a basketball

ELMO Q on August 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I thought she died 4 years ago from an overdose of BOTOX.

iam7545 on August 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Just her neocortex died.

Aviator on August 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

“Assuming he survives this year — which seems exceedingly unlikely — a party switch is now a fait accompli, right?”

WRONG.

This is Alabama…think of it in the same manner as a “Republican” in Massachusetts.

Lockstein13 on August 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

A redesign of our banknotes in the works?

onlineanalyst on August 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I will NOT use any currency with Obama on it.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:21 PM

On the other hand, it would be fun to deface it and pass it on.

slickwillie2001 on August 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Pelosi needs to come out against this violent, astroturfing, Nazi terrorist and have him investigated.

RadClown on August 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

DINO FEVER!

ronsfi on August 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I’m kind of wondering about all the people who say they won’t laugh out loud if something happens to Pelosi.

While I can’t wish harm to her, I also can’t say I wouldn’t grin if she had a stroke. You can think badly of me if you wish, but the fact is – Nancy Pelosi is intentionally destroying the country I love. I kind of want it to stay around for the sake of my children.

Can you honestly tell me you wouldn’t get a chuckle out of the death of Osama? He also wants America destroyed.

Squiggy on August 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM

On the other hand, it would be fun to deface it and pass it on.

slickwillie2001 on August 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Hey, you’re right! Hmm, what style of mustache should I draw?

/don’t answer that!
//feels swish of banhammer passing perilously close

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM