Boxer drops into dead heat with Fiorina in Rasmussen poll

posted at 9:30 am on August 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

You’ll remember that Rasmussen has actually been the good news poll for Barbara Boxer in her re-election campaign.  The last Field Poll showed her trailing Carly Fiorina, and so did Survey USA, while Rasmussen at the same time had her up five points, 45/40.  Now her Rasmussen firewall shows signs of crumbling as it has her lead down to a single point, 44/43:

Democratic incumbent Barbara Boxer and her Republican challenger Carly Fiorina are now essentially tied in California’s U.S. Senate race, moving the state from Leans Democratic to a Toss-Up in the Rasmussen ReportsElection 2010 Senate Balance of Power rankings.

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Voters in California shows Boxer with 44% support, while Fiorina picks up 43% of the vote. Five percent (5%) like another candidate in the race, and eight percent (8%) are undecided.

Earlier this month, Boxer held a five-point lead, 45% to 40%,  and she was ahead 49% to 42% in July. Since February, Boxer’s support has ranged from 42% to 49%. In those same surveys, Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, has earned 38% to 43% of the vote.

The good news — such as it is — shows leaners breaking her way; with them included, Boxer’s lead extends to five points.  Fiorina only picks up a point with the leaners.  However, that only takes Senator Ma’am to 49%, and only with weak support.

What’s driving the numbers downward for Boxer?   The economic situation in California and the nation has to be damaging her political fortunes.  A majority, 51%, say the economy is getting worse, and 23% say it’s staying the same, while only 21% think it’s improving.  Only 2% rate the economy as good — and no one rates it as excellent.  Two-thirds of respondents give the worst rating of “poor.”    Three quarters believe the US is still in a recession.  Those are toss-the-bums-out numbers, and Boxer has to run against a woman with significant private-sector executive experience who can actually make sense on economic policy.

Nor does Boxer have any advantages on other issues.  Voters narrowly split on the ObamaCare mandate, 50/47 in favor, but then more significantly split in favor of suing to stop it, 44/37, which essentially suggests that all of the passion is on the opposition.  A 56% majority favors extending the Bush tax cuts at least another year; a plurality favors extending all of the Bush tax cuts, 46%, as opposed to 41% that support extending all but the tax cuts on the wealthiest Americans.  Boxer isn’t even firmly in the latter camp.

The only thing Boxer has going for her is Barack Obama, oddly enough.  Despite opposition to his one big legislative victory and dissatisfaction with the results of Obamanomics, he gets a 55/43 approval rating among California’s voters.  While it’s a plus to not have an Obama albatross around her neck like other Democrats around the nation, Obama won’t be on the ballot, either — and probably won’t be much help in turnout.  Right now, it looks as though Fiorina has the momentum, and unfortunately for Boxer, Fiorina has the resources to keep it.

Comments

I initially misread the headling. I thought it said “Boxer drops dead…”

cannonball on August 26, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Ma’amentum.

The photo captions may be the best thing on this site.

jwolf on August 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

“boxer drops”? Obsessed?

faraway on August 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I thought it said “Boxer drops dead…

Me, too.

It’s time for Boxer to go. (Politically speaking)

Beaglemom on August 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM

“Ma’am?”

DrStock on August 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Purple Flurp is not her color. Heavens!

AubieJon on August 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Box ‘er up and ship her home.

profitsbeard on August 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Yeah, I’m with you all who saw the words “Boxer” and “Dead.”I guess you could say she is brain dead.

sandee on August 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Palin endorsed Fiorina, and Palin endorsed Miller. One would think that the “Palin effect” in AK is far more potent in California–obviously to the tune of double digits in the primary. I wonder if Fiorina is in a dead heat w/ Senator Ma’am and ends up winning by 2-5% if that can be attributed to the Palin effect? my 2cents

ted c on August 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I read Boxer drops in dead heap. need more coffee!

Cookies Mom on August 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Don’t really follow politics out there being far removed, but someone steered me to watch the You-Tube on this guy’s webpage, who is running for the 3rd big spot behind Senator and Governor. I find it amazing that with the number of people out there that the Dems offer Boxer, Moonbeam, and Marry-Any-Twosome Newsome. I anticipate all going down to defeat. It’s an 8 minute YouTube that pops up, but believe me, the time flies.

Marcus on August 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

he gets a 55/43 approval rating among California’s voters.

“You’re joking???” (In Joe Biden voice)

WashJeff on August 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

California is just hopeless.

ctmom on August 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM

No one can manage a deep economic decline like Barbara Boxer, I’ll give her that.

She wrote the book.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

The wave is building …

tarpon on August 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Uh, why?
Is it because California is such an economic paradise?

JSobon on August 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Boxer does have one other thing going for her: A completely effed in the head constituent base. Those people would vote for Charles Manson if he had a “D” next to his name and promised to fund LGBT parades with taxpayer money.

Bishop on August 26, 2010 at 9:48 AM

The destruction of once super-productive farms in California’s central valley is heart wrenching when seen live, or dead I suppose I should say. We drove through the central valley last weekend and it does not look like the USA. Once over the mountains and into the valley you are confronted with severe dust, along with signs warning of severe dust. The dust blows up from dry fields once filled with crops, and from between the rows and columns of thousands of dead fruit and nut trees, whose former abundance was visible from I-5. The farmers have lost their family farms, thousands have lost their livelihood, the food supply in the US and around the world has dropped, and the state receives less tax revenue from the sales of produce. All along the I-5 are signs in the dead farmland to the effect: “Welcome to the congress-created dust bowl”, with specific references to Boxer, Pelosi, and a couple of locals politicians.
This is a truly stunning example of what our political class has delivered.
Boxer needs to go.

GaltBlvnAtty on August 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I think the polls are still skewed somewhat in Boxer’s favor.

tarpon on August 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

The demtards see it building on the horizon…

dogsoldier on August 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I’m waiting for California to collapse and be forced to give up it’s statehood and return to territorial status so the Feds can bail them out. Then Southern California can return to the Union as it’s own state and we can think about what to do with the rest.

Daemonocracy on August 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Hair today/Gone tomorrowin November.

Abby Adams on August 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I hate to say I told ya so, but…I told ya so.

Some outside group is running a fabulous TV ad that simply says “Barbara Boxer has been in Washington over a half-century…can you name three things she has done that have made your life better?….OK, two?…..How about one?….”

Boxer has gotten away for years with running dirty negative campaigns aginst her usually underfunded opponents, and throwing the gender card as often as possible. I knew Carly Fiorina could beat her. And if Boxer actually agrees to even one debate, this race will be over as Boxer is legendary on Capitol Hill for her stupidity.

Fiorina may have met a bad end as CEO of HP, but today everyone has an HP computer or printer, or knows someone who does. Voters are looking for business people who know how jobs actually get created in this country. California can no longer afford to just have two figurehead rich housewives representing it in the Senate.

The fact that Boxer’s already talking about abortion should tell you she knows she is in deep sh–. She usually saves that card for the very end of the campaign. People are more worried about their jobs and their kids’ futures being aborted than they are about whether some women can get actual abortions.

rockmom on August 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

“You’re joking???” (In Joe Biden voice)

WashJeff on August 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Unfortunately no. Traffic jams aside, Obama remains popular in California. That state is a lost cause. The only way his approval rating takes a serious nosedive is if judgment day arrives for that state and Barry is unable to bail them out.

Doughboy on August 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Must be some sort of subliminal thing, because I also read Boxer drops dead.

I can only hope for the sake of California that they can change the political establishment there. If not they are doomed.

gator70 on August 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I’m cautiously optimistic that the American public is slowly seeing the light. Yea, it’s an oncoming train but that is what it took.

The primary defeats of Bennett and (probably) Murkowski are truly bright spots. They say that no Congressional jobs are safe, and real change in DC is possible. The Dem ads running as fast as they can from Dem leadership is another plus. If most of them lose too, we may yet survive this train wreck.

Socialism will return to its rightful place at the bottom of the bargain bin. Dismantling the leviathan will take years but I can see a competition to determine who is most willing to apply the ax liberally.

GnuBreed on August 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Marcus on August 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

It’s a stunningly bad ticket for the Dems to be running in the middle of an economic dissaster, isn’t it? Two 60s retreads and a glamour-boy mayor. Running against two successful businesswomen. If the GOP can’t win these races, the rest of the new GOP Congress should vote to cut off every dime of federal funding to the state and let them sink in their stupid liberal mud.

rockmom on August 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM

It’s just time to change, try someone new. CA can’t evade the problems any longer.

AnninCA on August 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM

That state is a lost cause.

Doughboy on August 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Judging from this poll — they’re not dead yet. Defeating that ignorant, self-important little pig would be righteous.

Jaibones on August 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM

California may have to learn the hard way. The streets are empty here. No one has gas money to drive to the grocery store. Unemployment tops 12%. Businesses are folding. I’m guessing even the usual non-special-interest Dem voters are saying “we can’t do any worse than Boxer” or “it’s time for Boxer to go.”

SurferDoc on August 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM

As one of my Senators, I’ve heard from her that she worked real hard to earn the title.

Unfortunately, she hasn’t worked hard on anything since then. Except re-election.

juanito on August 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

- and no one rates it as excellent.

Clearly, the pollsters failed to ask the Hollywood Crowd. They should all be feeling excellent since they’ve worked so hard to produce this Obama/Boxer Utopian nightmare. It’s their dream, and they’re still not happy? Geez.

redwhiteblue on August 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Throw the hag out.

I don’t care if a RINO replaces her. In this case, I’m after the short term satisfaction.

jeff_from_mpls on August 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

“Ma’amentum” is just genius. Love it.

hoosiermama on August 26, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Go Carly!

bitsy on August 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Purple Flurp is not her color. Heavens!

AubieJon on August 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I hate to admit it, but I know what “purple flurp” is.

I’m so ashamed.

Squiggy on August 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM

In California, add three to five points to conservative/Republican poll numbers for all candidates and ballot measures. Lived here for 50 years. It’s always been like this. The media called it the Bradley Effect when Tom Bradley ran for governor and lost . . . twice. It was an attempt to smear Californians as racist, but this “phenomenon” occurs every election.

InterestedObserver on August 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM

If Pelosi and Boxer are re-elected, the state of California is exposing their collective wisdom reflects a death wish for their existence as a state.

volsense on August 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

in 1998, i drove from san francisco to monterey, where i was registered to vote, and back, after work on election night because voting – even in a non presidential election – was that important to me (about four hours round trip – not the end of the world, but still).

in 2008, i didn’t vote. in this (and only this), i have come to agree with nader – they are all the same.

HOWEVER, even though i now reside in europe (for the time being), i loathe bb to such a great extent, that i will find a way to vote absentee, just on the faint hopes that i can contribute to her leaving public office for good.

god willing.

truecon on August 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM

“Ma’am?”

DrStock on August 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

See http://hotair.com/archives/2009/06/17/boxer-gets-snotty-with-general-address-me-as-senator-not-maam/

KS Rex on August 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Is there any way we can get a really appealing conservative issue on the ballot at this late point? Try to pull the same magic that happened in AK for Miller?

nukemhill on August 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM

“The good news — such as it is — shows leaners breaking her way; with them included, Boxer’s lead extends to five points. Fiorina only picks up a point with the leaners.”

WTF, Ed?

Do you mean this or am I reading it wrong?

LtE126 on August 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM

This race will be won or lost in metro LA, from Malibu to the Redlands. Forget the bay area; they’re not savable.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on August 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM

volsense on August 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Not really fair in the case of Pelosi, since she only stands for election in her far leftwing district of SF.

jwolf on August 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I hate to admit it, but I know what “purple flurp” is.

I’m so ashamed.

Squiggy on August 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Hazards of having children. Purple Flurp is the grape drink on the “Jimmy Neutron” cartoon.

AubieJon on August 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

The non-Liberal Democrats are going to stay on the porch in November. (IMHO)

I don’t know many, but the few Dems I know, are not going to turn vote.

barnone on August 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

ACORN will pull her across the line.

TexasDan on August 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Too early.

albill on August 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Well, two small-l libertarian friends of mine who haven’t voted since 1968 and 1972, respectively, are planning to vote Republican this fall.

One anecdote doth not data make, but still… you might see something here that hasn’t been seen since RR was Gov. Don’t count us out yet.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Actually, one is a capital-L Libertarian, now that I think of it, but a non-voter nonetheless.

Mary in LA on August 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I thought the headline said, “Boxer drops dead.”

disa on August 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I will vote for Fiorina but I have already determined that no matter how old I become this Boxer creature tool will always be a senator from my state.
Like an ugly birthmark that will never fade away.

FireBlogger on August 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM

rockmom on August 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Get your popcorn ready!

Carly Fiorina is scheduled to debate Senator Boxer on Wednesday September 1.

The debate is sponsored by KTVU and KQED and the San Francisco Chronicle so we should be able to watch the debate via those outlets.

wren on August 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Can’t wait for that pompous ass biatch to go down to defeat.

infidel4life on August 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I have never seen a more pompous bitch in my life than Boxer on tape chastising the general for calling her ma’am v Senator. What a waste of Depends.

psychocyber on August 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM