Former RNC chief Ken Mehlman: I’m gay

posted at 6:37 pm on August 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

He says he realized it “fairly recently,” in Marc Ambinder’s words, which has Tammy Bruce chuckling on Twitter. Honestly, I thought the guy came out years ago. Remember when Bill Maher talked about the rumors surrounding him on Larry King’s show — back in 2006? I guess you were the last to know, Ken.

He’s doing this now, it seems, because he wants to drum up publicity for the cause of gay marriage and figures that “Republican whom everyone thought was gay actually is gay” headlines will do the trick. Could be, although Ambinder’s careful to remind readers of the sort of social con initiatives that the GOP pushed during Mehlman’s RNC tenure. That won’t endear him to gay activists, and his newly public identity won’t endear him to social cons. Maybe he should have just worked for gay marriage like Ted Olson and kept his orientation private?

Privately, in off-the-record conversations with this reporter over the years, Mehlman voiced support for civil unions and told of how, in private discussions with senior Republican officials, he beat back efforts to attack same-sex marriage. He insisted, too, that President Bush “was no homophobe.” He often wondered why gay voters never formed common cause with Republican opponents of Islamic jihad, which he called “the greatest anti-gay force in the world right now.”

Mehlman’s leadership positions in the GOP came at a time when the party was stepping up its anti-gay activities — such as the distribution in West Virginia in 2006 of literature linking homosexuality to atheism, or the less-than-subtle, coded language in the party’s platform (“Attempts to redefine marriage in a single state or city could have serious consequences throughout the country…”). Mehlman said at the time that he could not, as an individual Republican, go against the party consensus. He was aware that Karl Rove, President Bush’s chief strategic adviser, had been working with Republicans to make sure that anti-gay initiatives and referenda would appear on November ballots in 2004 and 2006 to help Republicans.

Mehlman acknowledges that if he had publicly declared his sexuality sooner, he might have played a role in keeping the party from pushing an anti-gay agenda.

“It’s a legitimate question and one I understand,” Mehlman said. “I can’t change the fact that I wasn’t in this place personally when I was in politics, and I genuinely regret that. It was very hard, personally.” He asks of those who doubt his sincerity: “If they can’t offer support, at least offer understanding.”

I couldn’t care less either way, but with all the buzz lately about new conservative support for gays — here’s the latest surreal episode in the Coulter/Farah HomoCon saga, incidentally — this is a bracing reminder that an openly gay RNC chief probably would still be a problem. Or would it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

THE ECONOMY, STUPID!

MJBrutus on August 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Democrat message to distract from Clintons personal failings and swing more votes to Perot.

PrezHussein on August 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Oh, and by the way, he just realized he’s Jewish. Just in time for Rosh Hashanah.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

This mean we are down to just being racists, bigots and sexists? Cool.

The democrats mantra will have to be changed.

dthorny on August 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

It’s only a matter of time before Michael Steele comes out, too.

joe_doufu on August 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..oh wait, I’m supposed to be angry and clean my shotgun and kick the dog.

Limerick on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I think he converted for the jokes.

PrezHussein on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Why in the flippin flying firetruck do I need to know about anybody’s sex life? My apathy knows no bounds.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Cindy…my question is, if people really don’t care about this issue, then why so many vocal opponents to gay marriage? Apparently, a lot of people care.

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

They don’t care if he is homosexual or not.

That isn’t the same thing as wanting to alter marriage to suit their current political desires.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

errrrrr

ahhhhh

How about Lindsey Graham?

iam7545 on August 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, then the Republican party can be as successful as the Libertarian party. Good days ahead!

sharrukin

Well when the GOP has been successful, it was when the independents and Libertarians were getting behind people like Reagan.

Social Conservatives certainly did not get behind Goldwater, or Ford either, letting us have presidents LBJ and Jimmah Al-Carter. The origins of the GOP have much more to do with limited government and individual liberty, than evangelical ideals and social conservatism.

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

You can be converted to gay?

faraway on August 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Since we are revealing our sexual preferences.

carbon_footprint on August 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

My collie says:

I prefer hairy females. Color doesn’t matter. All of you lucky eligible b*tches reading this thread should know that I am endowed with a truly superior olfactory sense. You can e-mail me at Collie@CyberCiphering.net

CyberCipher on August 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

If you really believe that Reagan wasn’t a social conservative then you know nothing about the man.

And when I say social conservative I don’t mean the silly parody of it so many libertarians have.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I think he converted for the jokes.

PrezHussein on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

True story: When Mehlman was at the RNC, he was booed at the American Jewish Committee for defending Bush on Iraq. If anything Mehlman should be thinking of converting out of Judaism.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on August 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

He’s not demanding that he needs to be married… He wants us to believe his point is more valid because of whom he has sex with.

Skywise on August 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Cool. Mehlman can run Greg Gutfeld’s Manhattan Muslim’s Gay Bar!

TN Mom on August 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

And my hair is gray. What’s the point?

av8tr on August 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Quick, afford him special rights.

Inanemergencydial on August 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I would just like to announce to everyone right here and right now that I’m straight. That’s right. Maybe most annoying poster at HA to announce he’s straight.

It feels good to come out of the closet and now be super special, privileged and superior because of my straightness. Anyone know where the nearest Straight Pride parade is?

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I knew the minute I saw him look at Chris Mathew’s leg rather suggestively while on “Hard Ball?”

Captain America on August 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Why are there so many geese in North Carolina, when the tide is low in Australia?
Why is there a stray dog in my yard, and so many unemployed people…
Jetboy, not everything is tied to each other, some things are independent of others.

right2bright on August 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM

CyberCipher on August 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Plus an occasional leg or two, I am sure…

right2bright on August 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Will Ann Coulter come out as a lesbian at HomoCon? (not that there is anything wrong with that). But it is one of the things that make me say hmmmmmmm.

WND has no credibility with me and many other conservatives, because it has become the website of the kooky (Joe Farah) and conspiratorial (Jack Cashill) Paulista wing nuts. The Birthers have taken over the site.

simkeith on August 25, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Who didn’t know this? The left outed him years ago.

Schadenfreude on August 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Anyone know where the nearest Straight Pride parade is?

Texas A&M University.

Vera on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Skywise on August 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM

no guys…the important part of this is to show all people, left and right, that gays are among you. Sometimes in the most unlikely places. Still these days, there are plenty on the right who simply believe gays are out to get everyone, destroy the nation, and are a lefty militant group.

The more high-level gays in the right come out, the more it shows that hey….a lot of us are on your side. It’s sad, but there are a lot of conservatives who simply can’t believe gays can be conservative. GOProud is leading the way on this, invited to the next CPAC as well.

Gays are ostracized as being lefty activists. And we are not all like that. I get so much heck when I’m out at the clubs, politics comes up, and other gays get pissed and argumentative at me for daring to be conservative.

Many don’t see being gay as an issue…but we really need to put to rest the stereotypes. And perhaps more gays who are conservative can feel more comfortable about being true to who they are.

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

For the others around here who are not the quick study that doodleduh is, here’s the deal, IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID!

MJBrutus

So, according to the wisdom of you and doofus, only the economy is important, and we should surrender to the left on any other issues they challenge us on?

For the sake of the country, I sure hope there aren’t many “quick” studies like the two of you.

xblade on August 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Thank you so much,Mehlman!!! We all wanted to know that you are gay. You are such a man (I mean wo-man) to get it out in the open.

mobydutch on August 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I’m just waiting for the lawsuits.

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I think the crux of the issue is in this paragraph in your comment-

If I’m reading you correctly, significant percentages of folks out & about are lefties who harass you for being conservative. Presumably (this is an assumption on my part) a vast majority of those who are out are not conservative, and are suspicious that conservatives are a danger to their causes/values.

So…

Why shouldn’t conservatives be able to assume that, more often than not, those who are out are also a danger to our causes/values?

It is a stereotype, but most stereotypes are based upon learned experiences, in real life, with enough different characters to reinforce the perception.

Not trying to be harsh, but in my opinion the onus is on “gay conservatives” to prove they are not seeking to change core beliefs and practices of the majority.

May not be fair, but life’s like that sometimes.

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

The major difference is that conservatives think abortion is actual murder, whereas gay marriage is just something they don’t like.

doodleduh on August 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

People “don’t like” lots of things. I don’t like mayo in my diet coke, but it’s not really a Biblical thing. You should check your Bible or put the question out to Christians and see if homosexuality is just something “people don’t like” or if it’s a little higher on the Bible scale than that.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Watch out Jet, there are straights amongst you. And they have cooties.

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

On the Mehlman topic…

When’s his book coming out?

(My shot-in-the-dark guess about motive)

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I still say government corruption and debt goes right along with social decay.

mobydutch on August 25, 2010 at 7:59 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Do you really think most of us don’t know homosexuals?

Where do you get such a narrow idea of conservatives?

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I don’t think *we* are your problem here… What are you saying… that if we just accept the liberal gay agenda that gays will let you be conservative?

How nice of them.

Skywise on August 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Do you really think most of us don’t know homosexuals?

Where do you get such a narrow idea of conservatives?

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Part of the whole gay pride thing is the erroneous assumption that announcing one’s gayness is shocking and liberating for those who aren’t gay. And then of course the gay pride parade becomes insulted when straights shrug their shoulders and get on with things that actually matter.

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Bring him back. He couldn’t possibly do worse than Steele.

Vyce on August 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Why do gays feel they should tell inform us all they are gay? I don’t get the whole talking with a woman’s voice or the overly flamboyant behavior. Who you are sleeping with is really none of my business unless you start trying to jam it down my throat.

Kjeil on August 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

May not be fair, but life’s like that sometimes.

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Exactly.
I have commented about this many times. So called gay conservatives who seem to spend more time criticizing other conservatives than they do liberals or leftie gay activists.
Gay conservatives seem to think their image has been hurt more by Christians than by things like gay pride parades, festivals or gay activists. I have yet to read or hear ( I admit, I don’t read every single comment-so if you are a gay conservative and rant all the time about gay activists hurting the image if gays, I don’t mean you then) but, I have yet to read or hear a gay conservative seriously criticize something like pushing homosexual agendas in our schools, or be concerned about how eliminating Don’t Ask Don’t Tell could lead to a witch hunt against Christian soldiers and create a special protected victim status for openly gay soldiers. It’s like those issues don’t exist to so called conservative gays.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM

he LLOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

First of the dem voting block tobrealise there isn’t going to be anything left if this keeps up

I guess this makes the gays the smartest of the constituancy

Sonosam on August 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Do you really think most of us don’t know homosexuals?

Where do you get such a narrow idea of conservatives?

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I concur. But that does make us racist while only being half homophobic.

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I’m not surprised.

Lindsey Graham, the ball is in your court!

SouthernGent on August 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself. The GOP lost its way when it became a de facto political arm of Evangelicals.

The GOP needs to get back to it’s mid-1800′s core principles of letting people live their lives as they wish unfettered by the Feds so long as they aren’t hurting anybody else. I haven’t met too many people who frown on that concept.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I think you missed his point. Libertarians backed Reagan because while yes he was a socially conservative fellow, he didn’t have a real harsh ‘I’m going to shove this down your throat whether you like it or not’ attitude that erupted in the 90′s with the GOP.
He believed in what he believed and put it out there as an alternative to being a brigand and a lot of people followed him. He rarely if ever called for legislation to ‘correct’ social behavior the way many current GOP’ers do; which is essentially straight from the DNC playbook and disgusting.

Oh and you know little about Libertarians if you think they are socially conservative in the least. (They never claimed to be. It’s always been fiscally SUPER conservative and socially ‘liberal’)

MannyT-vA on August 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:06 PM

It’s like some twelve year discovering he has a pee-pee, running around announcing it to everyone.

Uhhh… thanks kiddo… now go play!

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

doodleduh on August 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

After a few weeks of reading the comment section of the various gay marriage stories here at Hotair, I think “don’t like” is kind of whitewashing things. There are some here who don’t like gay marriage, and there are some people here who I legitimately feel are full-on bigoted against them. I’ve seen some angry, nasty stuff written on this website in the last month.

Vyce on August 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Well, I thought he was just another Beta male…heh
Hello, Ken, I am not gay. Good to see you, again.

d1carter on August 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM

@cs89 firstly I’m gay, fairly conservative (not goproud level) and I don’t care if I’m trying to change your values. Just because a majority share certain values does not mean that they are good. (cue slavery, nazi’s, flat earthers, homeopathic medicine, prohibition, the war on drugs, etc etc) I flat out want to change the majorities values to make them realize that gays are people, not statistics they can throw away or abuse to drum up votes. I was terrorized in public school, there was no one to turn to, I wanted to die most days I didn’t care how. There are hundreds of thousands of kids that are going through the same thing everyday all over the world. I want to help stop that. I want it not to be ok to kill gays and get away with a slap on the wrist by crying out it was in gay defense. I want gay youths to stop being kicked out of their homes and left to die in the streets because of religious tradition. I am no ashamed to state these things. If you’d like to defend them than I think you have no idea what you are putting good kids and people through just to satisfy the writings of nomadic sheep herders from 3500 years ago.
When I hear Focus on the family warn parents against supporting anti-bullying laws I want to scream. People are dying because of this abuse and not just gays! So yes I do want things to change the status quo isn’t that nice when your one of the “acceptable loss’s

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

It’s only a matter of time before Michael Steele comes out, too.

joe_doufu on August 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I’ll settle for him being “out” of his job, after the midterms.

Vyce on August 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Gays are ostracized as being lefty activists….

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Gosh, I wonder why that is?! Weird, isn’t it.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM

MannyT-vA on August 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Oh, I am well aware of what Libertarians are. As I have said, the ones at Reason Magazine backed Obama so their liberalism is well known to me.

They are not conservative in any way. Small government conservatives who sometimes call themselves libertarian are.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

I am not sure that statement works for me, you need conservatives to let you know that you can feel more comfortable about being true to who you are?

Or

You need the people giving you heck in the clubs to quit giving you heck about being a conservative to let you know that you can feel more comfortable about being true to who you are?

I think you are treated with respect on this site, yes/no? Obviously everyone gets into with some others but did you feel ostracised more for supporting Charlie Crist or for just being a gay man? I think we all have differences of opinion and the SSM issue is a bit of a different discussion. Mehlman coming out and people not caring does not equate to changing the definition of marriage as someone upthread said. Hope I said that right cause I am not trying to pick a fight with you at all.

bluemarlin on August 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Your gay?? I’m straight!!! Let’s have a party and tell the world how “special” we are!

And anti-bullying laws will solve nothing. They would ultimately become just another piece of PC crap that restrict freedoms and actually do nothing to solve the issue at hand.

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

@NotCoach I’m open to suggestions but not the status quo. All ears hear..

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Hey, does this mean our tent just got bigger?

/see what i did there

greggriffith on August 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

What a load of melodramatic crap.

It’s OK to kill gays is it?

What country do you live in?

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

As I was saying…

And no, saying I’m an Evangelical Christian who, influenced by my faith and beliefs considers same-sex marriage wrong does not equal “it’s okay to bully, beat up, and kill” those who disagree.

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:19 PM

First off, we stop making being gay an issue kids wouldn’t give it such attention. But you can not change human nature. And kids being kids will always tease. The only real solution is to fill their time with constructive activities and less time being left to their own devices.

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

When you try to change the traditional institution of marriage to exclude the man or the woman, you are a leftist activist.

The right and independents want normal marriage.

PrezHussein on August 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM

BuzzCrutcher on August 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Well they certainly weren’t “pro-gay” initiatives…

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

…if people really don’t care about this issue, then why so many vocal opponents to gay marriage? Apparently, a lot of people care.
JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I do care about the definition of marriage being changed; for many reasons, none of them disparaging gayfolk, I’d like to see that left alone.

In addition, I don’t care much at all about Ken Mehlman’s sexual preference. I think it’s a big issue in his own life and mind.

marybel on August 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM

As sympathetic as I am to the beliefs of libertarians far too many are ignorant. As far as them being socially liberal and fiscally conservative they are too stupid too realize that doesn’t work –at least not in most modern developed countries. Just look at the spending on abortion and social welfare. The Libertarian movement often is like a crying child trying to hold onto their belief in Santa Claus.

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

BuzzCrutcher on August 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Well they certainly weren’t “pro-gay” initiatives…

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

So they must be the opposite? How old are you? You’re an idiot.

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

@sharrukin Spc. Justin Fisher, Dan White, Stephen Moller, and there are others
this stuff goes on all the time, and it’s condoned by the church, and by many levels of government.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Where do you live? Iran? Who is dragging gays out onto the streets and killing them? Ain’t happening in America.
Sorry you were bullied, guess what, bullies have been around since the beginning of time. If they weren’t bullying some kid for being gay, they were doing it to some kid for being poor, or having red hair, or a big nose, or looking just like their dad, or not looking like their dad!
Homosexuals think for some reason nobody else has ever been called a name before or been made fun of. Actually, being a gay kid in school today is probably the most protected member of society there is!
Hey, you know what, I was made fun of when I was in elementary school for being poor. We had zero money and I wore crappy clothes! So what? I would have been more embarrassed had the government forced the school to put up signs to stop bullying poor kids who wore crappy clothes!

Hey, you want to know who some real victims are today? How would you like to be victimized by a group of people with no where to turn? Try being victimized by homosexuals! No major news organization will care! Try walking the streets in a gay neighborhood praying openly on the sidewalk and see how long before a mob forms! Here’s a story about a real victim! Raped, tortured and murdered by two homosexual men because they wanted to rape, torture and murder a straight teen! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jesse_Dirkhising

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

That is very close to my own view. You cannot have a libertine society and a small government. The social causes they support require big government.

It is simplistic but not altogether inaccurate to call libertarians, liberals who don’t want to pay taxes.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I’m no libertarian, but I couldn’t care less about this.

therightwinger on August 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Guys and gals…It all boils down to this: give gay conservatives a chance. The minute you see any kind of “takeover” by the gays, shout it out. That’s not what we’re aiming at.

Sure, I get enough guff around here for just being gay, but it does not compare to the vile trash I get thrown at me by my fellow gays when they find out I’m a conservative republican. Lemme tell ya, it ain’t pretty. “Don’t you know those people hate you?” I get…

Well, I believe conservatives need to act like the CPAC crowd from last year, when Ryan Sorba condemned CPAC for inviting GOProud. He was met with boos and jeers. Gay conservatives want in on the cause.

Don’t shut us out. Again, we’re all on the same political side. Gay marriage and repeal of DADT? Maybe not. But we can at least talk about it. On most every other issue, gay conservatives are with you. We’re not the enemy.

JetBoy on August 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

@sharrukin Spc. Justin Fisher, Dan White, Stephen Moller, and there are others

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Yeah it does!

Unlike Matthew Shephard – whose attackers confessed to brutally murdering over drugs and not his sexual orientation – Jason Shephard of Philadelphia was strangled to death in 2006 by William Smithson, 44, for resisting his homosexual advances and rape. Smithson worked at the firm where Shephard was interning, and premeditated the sexual assault on Shephard, slipping a date-rape drug into Shephard’s drink during a dinner. To cover-up the crime, Smithson personally filed a missing person’s report, and even introduced himself to Shephard’s family, before police finally caught him red-handed trying to dispose of the decomposing corpse.

On Friday, the Pennsylvania Superior Court upheld Smithson’s first-degree murder conviction and life sentence.

And unlike Matthew Shephard, the murder of the heterosexual Jason Shephard by a homosexual has little recognition beyond Pennsylvania and no major legislation or public initiatives invoking the tragedy of his death. The young man who described himself as “a kid from Cavalier going to see what the world had to offer” has a simple Facebook page dedicated to his memory for the sake of those who knew him.

“Who in America recognizes their names or now the name of Amanda Collette?” asked Diane Gramley, president of the AFA of PA, demanding to know whether the cases of heterosexual victims would also get the same special protections accorded to homosexuals targeted for sexual orientation under the hate crimes law.

Collete, a fifteen-year old student at a Miami high school, was murdered by a sixteen-year old lesbian classmate for rebuffing her homosexual advances. The Miami Herald reported that Teah Wimberly, 16, confessed to police that she shot Collete in November 2008 “so she would feel pain too.”

In Prairie Grove, Arkansas, Joshua Brown and David Carpenter tied up 13-year old Jesse Dirkhising and sodomized him to death. WorldNetDaily reports that Dirkhising died in his own vomit while Brown and Carpenter took a lunch break from their savage sexual assault.

Nicholas Gutierrez of Chicago raped, battered, stabbed and strangled Mary Stachowicz, 51, before stashing her body under the floorboards of his apartment, for the simple reason that Stachowicz had asked him to leave his homosexual lifestyle.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM

@cs89 if a leading evangelical american political group wasn’t currently working to have gays imprisoned and executed in Uganda I might give your belief slightly more credence. However the love the sinner hate the sin, is commonly used to destroy people under the veneer of love. Even if I wanted to accept that many church’s try to walk a fine line between such extremism. Why is Focus on the family so obsessed with stripping gays of legal protections and anti-bullying programs, or even safe sex seminars that save lives? Many might not agree with people like them, but little is said to blunt their attacks and condone the violence that later erupts.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

In this case, they are the opposite, but I just thought it rather silly to try and cast doubt on the conclusion, as if anyone could look at the GOP’s gay-related initiatives of the last decade and find anything but “anti-gay” proposals.

Also, I don’t know why you’re bothering on this thread, there are no muslims here to suspect of invading america with sharia. You should really get on defending the homeland from that invasion, instead of worrying about the gays.

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

In tomorrow’s news Sarah Palin announces she’s female and Michael Steele says he is black.

Basilsbest on August 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Look, the biggest bigot on HA speaks. Beat any white women lately ernesto?

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Tenuous links to Ugandan groups prove American evangelicals want to imprison & execute folks based on lifestyle?

Hardly worth a response.

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 8:47 PM

NotCoach on August 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Just last night as a matter of fact! There’s no satisfaction like a little reverse colonialism!

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM

If a gay Republican runs for president lets hope we don’t vote for him to prove anything.

AshleyTKing on August 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM

@Jellytoast “Actually, being a gay kid in school today is probably the most protected member of society there is!” YOu know you are talking to someone that actually lived it right? and not some moron that thinks a pat on the head and a stern warning will fix everything. When the teachers don’t like gays either you try to find a way to endure it. many don’t.
I don’t condone gays murdering straights, I think it’s wrong, I’m not going to apologize or try to make excuses for them. However trying to say that kids should have no protection because two gays murdered someone is hardly logic. Matthew shepard was crucified alive and the westboro church came to protest that he existed at all. But I don’t think all efforts to do something about the problem should stop because bullying is something that is traditional. I know all bullying can’t be stopped but I refuse to pretend it’s not a problem.
I’m sorry you were picked on for being poor, I got that too.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

NPR selling a secret Christian society that is doing all this terrible stuff huh?

The Family, or the Fellowship, is in its own words an “invisible” association, though it has always been organized around public men.

You have got to be joking?

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM

@cs89 *shrug* see you can’t be bothered to even research it despite deep reporting going back years. It doesn’t affect you, it’s not real to you so it isn’t a problem.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I’m sorry you were picked on for being poor, I got that too.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:49 PM

The Westboro scumbags are one of the most despised so-called Christians you could find. They represent Christianity about as much as the Branch Davidian did.

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM

So when is Obama coming out?

BuckeyeSam on August 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM

@sharrukin um none of the people in the article are denying any of it and it’s all public record.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM

MannyT-vA

Thats a point I have made before too. Both the Social Liberals, and Social Conservatives, all too often find their solutions to some percieved social ill, in yet another proposed law. Its not like we have a lack of laws regarding the individual, we have far too many.

I believe in the individual, and freedom. Not in the government and churches knowing best. The values that we as individuals believe in, are something unique to each of us. Taxation, federal budget, foreign policy, that is something for government.

But for the values that I hold dear. That is Me. Not Pelosi, Obama, or anyone in the GOP for that matter either.

Let us be individuals basking in freedom, whatever your religion, orientation, gender or creed. Not members of identity groups, smothered under government policy and misplaced agendas of do-gooders

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

@sharrukin “James Dobson – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As part of his role in the organization, he produced Focus on the Family, ….. goal is to pressure lawmakers into outlawing homosexuality and have questioned ..”
The Family research Council

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM

YOu know you are talking to someone that actually lived it right? …

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:49

Oh, I see, you have moral authority on this matter because you’ve “lived it.”

Well, I’ve lived a few things too. So have a few others around here but I don’t need to have lived through everything in order to understand it’s consequences. But although I have lived through a few things, I try to argue an issue on it’s merits. I don’t parade all the things I’ve gone through so that I can claim some kind of moral high ground.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Hell, I’m like Allah, I thought Ken came out years ago.

Talk about a non-story.

gary4205 on August 25, 2010 at 9:01 PM

@JellyToast I can say that having lived it, I was in no way the most protected kid in school. Your assurances to the contrary therefore do not carry any weight.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I did read your link. In my opinion, there’s no “there” there.

Last response from me to you about this-

An article alleging that a secretive, “invisible” evangelical group in the US has met with someone from another country, who then pushes bad legislation in their land, does not prove American evangelicals want to perform the wrong actions you allude to.

If you want your allegations to be considered credible, try finding source material that demonstrates your point convincingly.

This doesn’t.

cs89 on August 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Ken Mehlman was rumored to be gay years ago, I think that may of been one of Larry Flynts allegations.

Personally,…..yawn….who cares.

I would support a gay atheist asian midget that believes in small government and fiscal conservative, rather than someone who would want to have the GOP be an adjunct of their church.

firepilot on August 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

ernesto on August 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM

You must be talking about the wrong person.

Nice try .

Good job though using such a dishonest tactic. Not surprised.

You really are ignorant.

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

@cs89 considering that my senator (tom coborn) is a member and lives at their house, perhaps I have more knowledge about this than you. However they are real and I think they are a dangerous group because they justify the ends over the means.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Ernie — seriously…you need to grow up. Your little games are just pitiful. Please quote me in saying that all muslims are this or that. You are full of lies and distortions. You love the best of dishonest debate techniques yet you think you are so smart.

Oh and quit doing guys and not telling your girlfriends. You are dishonest all the way around. Seems these women should have a choice in whether they want high risk sex in this age of AIDS. You are a sick puppy… dishonest in so many ways and not only here on HA but in your personal life. Wonder why I think you are such a puke?

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Went to edit comment in preview mode and poof! “Webpage expired” so apologize if this is a double post…
I’ve never understood why more gay and lesbians aren’t conservative.
I’ve talked to some of my gay friends about it, but they, like any lefty are so vitriolic in their hatred of conservatives as to be incomprehensible when confronted with simple questions and facts.
Most conservatives (being for less government interference)could give a rat’s bloated behind what you do in the privacy of your own home (Libertarians even more so). Most conservatives support civil unions affording G&L couples the right to inherit and to the same tax advantages as married couples…we just have a teensy little bitty problem in the pretzelization of one of the sacrements.(I can leave all my worldy possessions to my dog [if I'm that loony], but I can NOT marry the varmint!

No one I know is trying to make it so gay couples can’t adopt or procreate in whatever creative ways they wish, no one wants to deny them the right to will their chit to one another, to live together, or to provide living directives regarding end of life, serious medical issues, etc.
Just don’t call it marriage. Am I that narrow minded that I think they are a little too fixated on this one issue when conservatives really offer them the best platform to advance the freedom to enjoy–and decide–how they want to live??
Hey, do whaddeva ya’ll want, just don’t call it marriage, cuz it, um, isn’t.
Republicans are doing a lousy job communicating this IMO.

Chewy the Lab on August 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

@sharrukin “James Dobson – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Family research Council

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Well it seems you have discovered the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy that Hillary was talking except… SHE IS ACTUALLY A PART OF THE FELLOWSHIP. Oh, the sneaky little vixen!

sharrukin on August 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM

To all here:

Ernie admit such things on HA.

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Who cares?

Oh, don’t donate blood.

BowHuntingTexas on August 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Who cares?

Oh, don’t donate blood.

BowHuntingTexas on August 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM

hatemonger /

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Chewy the Lab on August 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM

What Chewy said.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Ernie did you ever address Islam in England? You played games and ran the last time.

Also the marriage initiative in California was not anti-gay as if it was it would have made it illegal for legal unions to take place .

CWforFreedom on August 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM

@Chewy the Lab i suppose you could google it or just look up no gay adoption florida, arkansas or huckabee
Also I suggest reading the ruling on the recent Prop 8 trial if you would like to learn why the federal court bleieves that you should call it a marriage. I also suggest reading the full transcript of the trial it cemented my belief that we have to call both of them marriage, and that civil union wasn’t good enough for a variety of reasons.

Zekecorlain on August 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM