Bad news: Media interrupts president’s purchase of shrimp with question about Iraq

posted at 5:58 pm on August 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Dan Riehl, who notes that there was indeed some important Iraq news today worth asking about. I don’t really begrudge The One the right to duck questions on his vacation, especially when he’s lining up a primetime address on this subject for next week, but this is a classic “What if Bush did it?” moment and, as such, simply Must Be Blogged.

If this dopey quote had come out of Dubya’s mouth, tell me it wouldn’t already be a slogan emblazoned on a t-shirt at Zazzle underneath a Bush/chimp photo comparison:

As the president walked around the restaurant, some cordoned-off reporters shouted out to him questions, including one about the war in Iraq. Next Tuesday night, the president will deliver an Oval Office address at 8 pm ET, in which he will mark the occasion of the withdrawal of US combat troops from the country.

But the president was in no mood today to discuss the issue with reporters in that setting. He ignored questions for a bit, then turned to the reporters.

“We’re buying shrimp, guys,” he said, smiling. “Come on.”

That’s via an excruciatingly bored Jake Tapper, who’s also got a hot item up about Obama having a great time on his vacation. I searched in vain for video of the magic moment so you’ll have to make do with the flashback below from Campaign 2008. Cool Hand Luke is usually unflappable, but don’t get between the man and his lunch. Exit question: Think he’ll credit Bush for the surge in his Iraq speech next week? I know it’s off-message in light of the Dems’ Bushitler messaging for the midterms, but since he’ll be taking the credit for winding down combat operations, sharing a tiny bit with Bush is low-cost.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mr. Tapper better no complain about boredom, didn’t the press hate going to Crawford where the only entertainment was Cindy Sheehan?

Cindy Munford on August 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Obama: lemme have one a those shrimp quiche.

Sonosam on August 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Let the man plug his damn hole.

TexasDan on August 25, 2010 at 7:51 PM

you’re kidding right Allah? he won’t give him any due

cmsinaz on August 25, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Only a doofus would go to a fresh seafood shack in MA and order shrimp which isn’t native, Deval Patrick excluded. Clams, baby, clams.

No Niks on August 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Good catch! (Pun intended).

I’m from Florida–fish, shrimp, oysters.

When we lived in New England–fish, lobster, clams.

INC on August 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Actually some New England shacks now sell Canadian seafood, which is cheaper.

INC-don’t forget, Wellfleet Ersters are great!

Del Dolemonte on August 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I have no inside into and could be wrong, but I’d bet that the First Caboose has undergone some lipo.

justltl on August 25, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I’ll check out Google Earth to see if I can find some before and afters.

justltl on August 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM

He blames him for everything else, why not for winning the war?

29Victor on August 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

@ faraway, 7:21 PM

LMAO!

Most excellent play on words I’ve seen in a long time – since the old days over where the green ones inhabitated. Makes me wonder whether you might have been a buzzsaw -type critter in a previous life!

GGMac on August 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM

He can handle a damn question in between bites of shrimp.

Bee on August 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Who wants to be answering questions from reporters while they are eating with their children?

terryannonline on August 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

They need a teleprompter at the fish market…

right2bright on August 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

What?? You mean there wasn’t one? How did he order his shrimp?

PatMac on August 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Huh … “I am not the President of the U.S. when I am buying shrimp on vacation to provide propaganda supporting our new meme, that the BP oil is All Gone and everything is OK Now so go fishing and swimming and spend money in Louisiana and hurry but leave me alone when I’m buying shrimp and don’t ask me any difficult questions about the consequences of my idiot liberal policies.”

Jaibones on August 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Remember…..its all about the Healing!

dmann on August 25, 2010 at 10:14 PM

They won’t let him eat his waffle. They won’t let him eat his shrimp. It’s no wonder he’s so damn skinny.

SoulGlo on August 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Awwww, folks!
Go easy on the guy.
After all, when one builds a career out of what is written for him on a teleprompter, and you get stuck with a hard question, isn’t the logical response, “We’re buying shrimp, guys. Come on.”??

ToddonCapeCod on August 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM

If he ate that shrimp, he should be charged with cannibalism.

Josiah on August 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Does he even know where he is? He’s in Martha’s Vineyard ordering shrimp that are probably flown up from the Gulf. What a doofus. Thank gawd a poseur like this is not in charge of running the country.

petefrt on August 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Barry having shrimps? Another example of Dems eating their own.

bayview on August 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

How come he’s always wearing that black hat that says “Sux”?

Exit question: Yeah, right. Pigs will fly.

2ipa on August 26, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Isn’t POTUS a 24X7 kind of job?

Hasn’t someone explained that to him yet?

Soon he’s not going to have to worry about it and a lot sooner than he thinks, hopefully.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 7:00 AM

President Obama, when a mortar round hits the FOB, do you think a soldier is allowed to say, “Hey come on guys, I’m eating an MRE”?

hawkdriver on August 26, 2010 at 8:09 AM

terryannonline on August 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

He spent a lot of time and money for the job and he wanted it, it goes with the job. Tough $hit.

NJ Red on August 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Barry’s shrimp fried
while our troops died.

Don’t ask B. Hussein about the “other” Hussein.

Steve Z on August 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM

“We’re buying shrimp, guys,” he said, smiling. “Come on.”

So who else is included in this royal WE thing? That wife of his in that hideous sack?

Sir Napsalot on August 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hey, you mind, I’m eating my waffle….
Hey, you mind, I’m Buying shrimp….
Hey, you mind, I’m Effing up the country here….

No questions pleaaase….!!!

Kuffar on August 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM

You have to feel sorry for these people, I mean, sheesh, on this vacation they have to settle for a $50,000.00/week residence on Martha’s Vinyard (Camp David is so passe), then it rains on their private outdoor basketball court (plus its only half-court!), they have to seal-off a nearby grade school in order to play a little b-ball, the rain then forces them to settle for playing games (Tabu!) and watching movies, then when they try to go out to catch a bite to eat, the “cordoned-off” section has the temerity to interupt them and ask the poor guy about a place where Americans are putting their lives on the line on a daily basis.

Poor first family, just can’t catch a break even when they are on vacation!

Fatal on August 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

terryannonline on August 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM

NJ Red on August 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Someone did (not him), but yeah.

I think he believes he’s doing us a big fat favor being President, I really do.

NoDonkey on August 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM