Video: “The Walking Dead” trailer somehow even more awesome than blogger hoped

posted at 6:10 pm on August 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Nerdist, I give you the final frontier for zombie-loving geeks like me — not a movie but an entire television series set in the anarchic, global free-fire zone that is an Undead Apocalypse. My one misgiving: Is there any ore left to mine in this genre? As fun as this looks, there’s nothing here that you won’t find in the Romero oeuvre or its many imitators; in fact, the scene of people holed up in a tank and beset on all sides is basically a lift from the climax of the “Dawn of the Dead” remake. The one innovation in recent years, a la “Shaun of the Dead” and “Zombieland” (which was also originally meant to be a TV series), has been to add humor, but that’s obviously not part of this equation. Ah well. Maybe it’s enough to watch animated corpses eat people alive and get shot in the head. Damn it, it should be enough.

It starts slow, but hang in there.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

AMC — Breaking Bad baby!!

Akzed on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Only problem with it is that the premise is a little off….

Who in their right mind, being chased by two police cruisers and facing a road blockade of several police officers (Sheriff’s Deputies, whatever, runs over a spike strip, then flips his car, and then climbs out of said car (while being covered by cops with guns) and offers resistance? That seems /slightly/ implausible to me.

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM

you have obviously never watched stuff like Real TV

Doctor Zhivago on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

canopfor on August 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM
==========================================
not zombies but the awesome Cat People (orginal verison, not the crappy “re-make”) fits that bill

Doctor Zhivago on August 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Doctor Zhivago: Starring Halle Berry,as Cat Women!!!!!!!!

Zombie Cat People,now thats a twist,haha!

canopfor on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Oh, poo! Cannot be viewed in Australia!
OldEnglish on August 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Oh yes it can…

Akzed on August 24, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Hey, go to Atlanta, it’ll be zombie free for sure!

Hey go to Pacific Playland, totally no zombies there!

Racoon City sure is nice this time of year!

If it weren’t for stupid ideas and people’s willingness to believe them, zombie movies/t.v. shows wouldn’t go anywhere.

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Oh, poo! Cannot be viewed in Australia!

OldEnglish on August 24, 2010 at 7:07 PM

OldEnglish: Try this!!!!!!!!!!!:)
======================================================

The Walking Dead trailer

canopfor on August 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Doctor Zhivago on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Then again, when have criminals ever used common sense.

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

blatantblue on August 24, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Foot rustler?

ladyingray on August 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM

blatantblue on August 24, 2010 at 6:54 PM
=====================
Foot rustler?

ladyingray on August 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM

ladyingray: Sounds like a Cougar Code,haha!!:)

canopfor on August 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM

After searching hulu, no it can’t. I thot everything was there. Oh well, try renting it.

Akzed on August 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM

A good story is a good story. There aren’t any stories out there that haven’t been covered and trying to throw in some stupid twist has ruined more movies than I care to count.

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.

Looks great even if they are slow zombies.

Day by Day Armageddon was a good book.

sharrukin on August 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM

This looks excellent. By the way, I second the comment about “Day by Day Armageddon.” That’s a great read, and highly recommended to any zombie fan.

change is for suckers on August 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I’d pull the trigger. Then, I’d be extremely pissed off 2 weeks later when someone finds a cure.

JadeNYU on August 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Ever see “The Mist”? It was a horrible movie based on a Stephen King book, but it’s ending had a similarly gut-wrenching twist.

Scrappy on August 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM

one of the BEST comics out there!!

If people can get past the knee-jerk hatered of comics they should pick up this book. It’s a little different from other zombie stories because it’s more about life after the zombie apocalypse. When it first came out it was billed as the story of what happens after the movie ends.

Zombies have been done before, but we’ve never seen a show about living after the outbreak. There is a lot left to explore about the humans in this new world beyond just surviving a zombie attack.

C’mon AP. Do a comic geek a solid. Truly embrace your inner nerd and go read the 1st trade of The Walking Dead.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Hopefully they have a full plan on the series like Lost or Battlestar and not just unlinkable random events in his quest to find his family. He is able to find how and why the change happened and a side quest is to end it finally let the zombies stop being the undead and make them stay dead. There is so much source material it can last for years.

Or they will pull a switch after the 5 year run in that he was in a comma the whole time and wakes up to his family.

tjexcite on August 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I can’t wait…the comic is awesome. And the people behind this know what they are doing…I am really looking forward to it.

neoavatara on August 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Scrappy on August 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I remember the comemrcials for it, but never saw it.

I think something similar also happened in one of the original Star Trek movies (a main character decided to pull the plug on his, I think, father and a bit later there was a cure for his illness).

I figure you’ve got to make a decision based on the best information that you have at the time. If the family member is about to eat your face in the next minute, it doesn’t really matter too much if there’s going to be a cure next month.

JadeNYU on August 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I had a lot of friends who did CGI for the studios. Occasionally, they would make their own little film for advertising purposes. It was great! The entire neighborhood would be attacked by giant tarantulas the size of 2 story buildings…

Blake on August 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

tjexcite on August 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I really hate crap like that.

sharrukin on August 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Doctor Zhivago on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I just saw such a thing a on True T.V. the other night. It was teens leading cops on a high speed chase. They wreck the vehicle and when the cops approach one of the teens opens fire. All caught on the cruisers dashcam.

Howcome on August 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM

JadeNYU on August 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

That would be Bones, in the one where Kirk asked “Why does God need a space-ship?”. I think it was III

LincolntheHun on August 24, 2010 at 7:36 PM

tjexcite on August 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

the comic is on issue 76 and going strong. so I pretty much know what to expect. He finds his family fairly early on. It’s not a story about finding out what caused the zombies or fixing them. It’s more just about living and trying to survive in this new world. Zombies aren’t the most evil or scariest thing in this story. Often it’s the humans that are the real evil.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM

tjexcite on August 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

From what I’m seeing, it’s going to be a mini-series

Walking Dead will be a six-part series of one hour episodes based upon a graphic novel comic series about a police officer (Andrew Lincoln – Love Actually) who wakes in a hospital bed to find the world has turned to zombies.

Dead Hand Control on August 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Dead Hand Control on August 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM

The official website says that the 6 episodes is just the first season.

Scrappy on August 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM

tjexcite on August 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM

In situations like this I think the main character will find a workable solution to the problem but then Gilligan will mess it up and they’ll still be stuck on the island in the end.

rihar on August 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Dead Hand Control on August 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I think it’s more along the lines of British shows and it’s a short season. Or this series is a backdoor pilot. Kinda like what Battlestar Galactica did.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I’d watch, though the waking up alone just seems a bit too much like 28 Days Later. I think Zombieland had a better chance at being a TV show.

Esthier on August 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM

JadeNYU on August 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Agreed, though I might decide to capture my zombie family members and risk the safety of everyone with me by trying to keep them alive.

Esthier on August 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM

What’s wrong with all you sick necrophobes? Corpses were people too! They have constituional rights. You are all are so unamerican!

paulsur on August 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Zombieland II is in development and Woody Harrelson is returning.

Woody Harrelson

Dr Evil on August 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I see Zombies everyday. They drive cars and talk into cell phones and text, they oblivious to anything else around them and scare the hell out of me.

Irenaeus on August 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM

What did Bob Hope say in that movie. “you mean like a Democrat”

Tin Lizzy on August 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Irenaeus on August 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM

clearly a head shot is your best move.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Irenaeus on August 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM

No those are just rude-assed Narcissists, and unlike Zombies you can’t shoot them, legally.

LincolntheHun on August 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM

profitsbeard on August 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Nice, but it’d be better in 3-D!

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Wouldn’t that be 3-B?

;)

profitsbeard on August 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM

28 days later + crazies – fast zombies + 5 minute commercials every 10 minutes = BORING!

nottakingsides on August 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Once again:

28 Days Later was not, is not a zombie flick. The people weren’t dead, simply infected with a virus which made them murderous. They didn’t eat the living, simply driven to kill any living thing.

There. I feel better.

Also, I believe TWD came out as a comic before 28DL, so the movie would be imitating the comic as far as the guy waking up in the hospital goes. Don’t quote me on that though.

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

My only problem with the comic is the zombies aren’t the focus of the story, they are more a plot element. The real story is about this guy (the cop) and other survivors who band together to survive.

And it is my problem because that’s what the comic is about. I just want more zombies.

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Only problem with it is that the premise is a little off….

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM

you don’t live in the south do you?

unseen on August 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Why is it dem presidents that bring out the zombie flicks?

unseen on August 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Oh, and Romero ruined his own creation IMO.

His early stuff is ripe with messaging, sure, but they are decent horror movies in their own right. The original NOTLD, DayOTD, DawnOTD, though ‘B’ movies, still kinda creep me out. With his most recent stuff, he seems to be full of himself and more interested in his messaging than telling a story or scaring people.

Which is why I liked the recent remake of Dawn of the Dead. Yeah, it had fast zombies, but it was simply a movie made to shock, scare and entertain – not preach. And the fast zombies are there for a reason, the pace of the film is faster which adds to the suspense so the zombies need to be fast to help drive that aspect of the film.

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Agree, except I didn’t like Dawn of the Dead.

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM

The remake was very good even with some of the silly stuff people do in zombie/horror flicks. I saw Crazies and Dead Set and they were good, though Crazies isn’t technically zombies it was the better of the two.

sharrukin on August 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM

When dreams come true.

The opening scene in a post Rapture (Undead Apocalypse) scenario:

Somebody left behind: You even know what’s going on?

Allahpundit: I woke up in my computer chair and millions of people were missing. That’s all I know.

Yes, it’s coming… and sooner than you think.

apacalyps on August 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Irenaeus on August 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Sorry . Welcome to the 21st century.

CWforFreedom on August 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I’m really glad to see this looking so good. “The Walking Dead” is one of the best stories being told right now, in any medium. It never stops surprising, and even shocking you.

I can’t imagine how they’re going to handle The Governor storyline, but I can’t wait to see them try.

Doctor Zero on August 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM

SOOOO true. His original 3 are still some of my favorite flicks. Especially NOTLD. Land of the Dead was painful to watch though. I have Diary of the Dead sitting on a shelf never even watched.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Doctor Zero on August 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I’m not sure they can do The Governor justice even on cable. Especially his Michonne does in the end… damn…

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 8:58 PM

his = what…

beer tying here.

Ampersand on August 24, 2010 at 9:01 PM

So, the Zombies are symbolic of Islamic jihadis?

Zombies shuffling forward in a gristle-creaking crescent?

profitsbeard on August 24, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Fast zombies are wrong, just ask Shaun of Dead. I do believe he qualifies as an expert in the field. I hate fast zombies and am worried about this because it looked like some of them were keeping up with the horse.

cobrakai99 on August 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Looks like it could be fun. The trick in not overthinking it. Sometimes you just have to turn the old brain off so you can enjoy the drek coming out of hollywood these daus.

HotAirExpert on August 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM

cobrakai99 on August 24, 2010 at 9:20 PM

I am fine with both, and I will say in defense of fast zombies that they are more dangerous.

Slow zombies in movies require the actors to do really stupid things for there to be any credible threat. A pair of running shoes and a baseball bat is enough to defeat the old Romero zombies. It requires a higher quality of film making to add credibility which zombie movies are not noted for.

sharrukin on August 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Day by Day Armageddon was excellent.

World War Z. Best-zombie book-ever.

The Zombie Survival Guide, by the same author, is also good.

justltl on August 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I can’t stand fast zombies.
If they ain’t shamblin’, they just ain’t zombies.

justltl on August 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM

4:07 “Bicycle Girl”

Fascinating time lapse video of the makeup effects here.

They start with a super skinny actress and dead her up but good.

RushBaby on August 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM

oh hell yeah! True, nothing in that trailer looked new or fresh for the genre, but it’s about time I get a TV show instead of a 2 hour movie which always ends in a siege of a some kind. This way we will get to learn a lot more about the characters, get more attached to them and have a more visceral experience in the horrors they have to face every day.

I love me some Zombies!

but I hate the whole “virus” explanation.

Daemonocracy on August 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM

The effects and make up seem well done.

Yakko77 on August 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM

That was my first reaction. Love the comic book series.

Slublog on August 24, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Hmmmm.

A little too much like 28 days for my taste. I prefer originality over everything else.

memomachine on August 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM

So was this video about running around shooting people in the head with GUNS made by some asshat in Hollyweird who runs off at the mouth every 2 seconds about why guns should be outlawed and why Europe is so awesome???
Just asking, since it seems that there are so many libtards who think everyone with a gun is a “redneck” and should be banned from procreation, that will be rushing out to see this crap so they can say “Ohmigawd” and “like” about 10 millions times to describe why this crap is so awesome.

Jus’ saying.

KMC1 on August 24, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I love the comic “The Walking Dead” and Robert Kirkman is a homeboy from Lexington, Kentucky. It’s awesome they made his comic into a show. Long live the zombies!

manfriend on August 24, 2010 at 11:48 PM

The UK had a TV series called ‘Dead Air’, I believe – which basically had the entire country overrun by zombies.. except for the participants of the ‘Big Brother’ TV show.

And no, it wasn’t a comedy.

Reaps on August 24, 2010 at 11:55 PM

My one misgiving: Is there any ore left to mine in this genre?

The Walking Dead does have an aspect that hasn’t quite been exploited before: it is uncompromising in its relentless brutality. There are no characters in the comic book that are guaranteed to survive any given issue. The death toll amongst the main characters, for example, is remarkably egalitarian in ways that most movies, including zombie movies, generally don’t dare to be.

Think a cute little kid is safe? Think again. Think there’s no way that a beloved character from a protected victim class (who we’ve also spent years getting to know in the comic) couldn’t possibly be butchered by zombies? Think again.

That fearlessness and unpredictability is what makes Walking Dead stand out for me.

On a side note, the comic does get a little annoying sometimes. It’s a leftist industry, and the dialog frequently stinks a bit with liberal preconceptions, but it is truly one of the more consistently shocking and surprising horror narratives I’ve ever read.

Kensington on August 25, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Best comic book ever.
Dont get attached to anyone, it will rip your heart out.

rollthedice on August 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Anyone know if the Zombies are symbolic of Obamalinsky voters in ’08? Just asking….

adamsmith on August 25, 2010 at 7:44 AM

As someone who lives outside of Atlanta, I didn’t see a great deal of difference between this movie and a typical weekend in the city. :-)

shamalama on August 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Rubicon.
Zombie Show.
Man Men.

portlandon on August 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM

You don’t like Rubicon? I think it’s a great show.

strictnein on August 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

The tank scene is probably a homage to the video game Dead Rising. See here for a picture:

eforhan on August 25, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Halloween can’t come soon enough!!! I got turned on to the comic awhile back and now its like Christmas morning to me when the new trades come out. Can’t wait to see who they get to play Michonne and the Governor. Sounds like season 2 has all but been officially green-lit.

righteouschops on August 25, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Yep, that trailer does look pretty cool. I think i’ll be watching.

Here is my YouTube video from last month’s San Diego Comic-Con convention where AMC had some street actors out promoting the Walking Dead show. Not sure if any of these ‘actors’ were actually on the show. Maybe you will recognize them?

Shawn92101 on August 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Only problem with it is that the premise is a little off….

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I actually have a friend who did that. Chased by cops, flipped the car and came out with a shotgun. He gave up though once he saw the odds.
He’s improved his life since getting out of jail.

JellyToast on August 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Dude. Dude. Dude!

I’m going to go sit on the couch and just wait for it to start. Didn’t Eric Cartman come up with some brilliant way to time travel? I need to look into that.

After being (lovingly) forced to sit through countless episodes of winners like The Bachelorette, finally a show I get to make my wife watch.

Although her shows are a lot more nauseating than this one looks to be. Hell, I still can’t believe Jake and Vienna broke up?

Did I say that out loud?

Bring on the undead, my lovely wife, and some popcorn. I’ve gotta run out in the garage and start stocking up on ammo, MRE’s, and lighter fluid.

Professor Blather on August 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Only problem with it is that the premise is a little off….

Rightwingguy on August 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM

you have obviously never watched stuff like Real TV

Doctor Zhivago on August 24, 2010 at 7:08 PM

… or turned on the nightly news.

Not exactly a rare occurrence. It’s even a trendy means of suicide these days with its own catchy moniker.

Professor Blather on August 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

change is for suckers on August 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

FYI if it hasn’t been mentioned: the sequel hit Amazon.com 2 days ago.

Professor Blather on August 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM