Shirley Sherrod on Vilsack’s job offer: Er, no thanks

posted at 3:57 pm on August 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Obama can’t catch a break on anything.” Two clips here, one of the presser with Vilsack and the other of a follow-up interview with CNN, but after watching both I’m still not clear on why she’s refused the job. She doesn’t seem to have any hard feelings towards the USDA; on the contrary, she accepts Vilsack’s apology and wants some sort of relationship with the Department going forward. Maybe she figures, understandably, that her newfound fame would be a constant distraction if she took the position? Or maybe commenters in our Headlines item are right and she’s simply keeping a polite distance in preparation for a lawsuit over her firing. Given how often and how effusively Vilsack has apologized — “I disappointed the president, I disappointed this administration, I disappointed the country, I disappointed Shirley” — she should have no problem proving that her termination was wrongful. Although even then, I wonder: Is it against the law to can an employee based on something you mistakenly thought she meant? Ah well. I’m sure the USDA will settle regardless.

Exit question: Does the bit at the end of the second clip about moving on mean there won’t be a suit after all?

Comments

She has bigger fish in mind…

d1carter on August 24, 2010 at 4:00 PM

She wants Vilsack’s job

macncheez on August 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

After you take $2 BILLION from the USDA in the 2nd largest scam in history, you don’t need a job.

faraway on August 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

REMINDER:

In the 1970s, Sherrod ran some communist camp that “treated blacks like slaves”

HEALING!!!

picklesgap on August 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

with what we know about her history re: lawsuits, I would pin in it on this…

cmsinaz on August 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Among the protected classes we have non-discrimination rules for age, sex, race, national origin, disability, creed, religion and in most places sexual orientation.
Guess this regime can exempt themselves anytime for any reason.

fourdeucer on August 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Thought she was going to be a consultant, write reports for big bucks.

Skandia Recluse on August 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM

At least it’s “understandable” for her. Please explain that concept to people STILL calling Palin a quitter, would you kindly?

DrAllecon on August 24, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I’ll be glad to not see this woman on tv anymore.

blatantblue on August 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Yes, a plaintiff and defendant relationship!

Exit question: When will Vilsack decide enough is enough and finally reveal who told him to fire her? Is he really willing to drink the poisoned Obama Kool-Aid before Obama does?

BuckeyeSam on August 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Sherrod is the creep who’ll be paid millions more of taxes, in order not to sue, while working as a contractor, for more of your taxes, to keep America race-balanced. What a stupid country!

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Pfffftttt…she’s going to get a visit from Slick Willie offering her a position at the WH….count on it…

sicoit on August 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Only if the USDA settles first. She’s not going to let a big payday go by.

rbj on August 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

The Sherrods are both creeps and should be shunned into oblivion. They live to sue and to whine.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

closure’s ass. That race-baiting billion-dollar THIEF accepted a ‘consultant on civil rights’ position instead. More money and less work, and now our tax dollars OFFICIALLY pay that racist whore to shovel sh1t on our heads. At the Dept of Agriculture.

Our government needs a 90% pruning and a 100% scourging of marxists of all stripes.

rayra on August 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Vilsack, contrary to all groveling of late, hates, absolutely hates her guts, from previous law suit of hers. That’s why he could’t wait to sack her.

Look at her “poor me” the ‘holier than though’ harlot. May the earth swallow you, and your same-as-you weasely husband.

Schadenfreude on August 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

picklesgap on August 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I read an article posted here, about this subject…last week. I can’t for the life of me figure out why it hasn’t been reported on? Perhaps it’s not true? I don’t know? But this in my opinion is a huge revelation about the Sherrods. So why isn’t anyone else reporting on it?

As for Shirley…I’ve no doubts she is going to sue, or try to cull some bigger job out of this.

capejasmine on August 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

This woman disgusts me. Get her outta here.

NJ Red on August 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

She wants to “move on” because every white person who had business with her has grounds for a lawsuit by her own words.

Buddahpundit on August 24, 2010 at 4:17 PM

This has been a long stinking 15 minutes!!!

AubieJon on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hell no. This woman has already learned from experience how lucrative lawsuits and perpetual victimhood are. She just means she’s going to be moving on to a bigger mansion, courtesy of U.S. taxpayers.

I’m sure the USDA will settle regardless.

No doubt. But it will be U.S. taxpayers who pay the settlement, not Obama or Vilsack.

AZCoyote on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Newsbusters has a very interesting story about Sherrod taking advantage of blacks who she employed with her husband. I won’t mince words. This woman is a piece of sh*t. She has figured out she can corner people with the race card and then get away with murder. Why was she at the NAACP? Well she was one of their success stories is my guess. What is a success story at the NAACP? Someone who has successfully used race to advance their “colored” self by shaming guilty white liberals. My answer to AP on why she is leaving? She has a Cindy Sheehan-sized moral authority card on race that would be wasted at the USDA.

Conan on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I disappointed the country

Don’t sweat it, Tom. I didn’t give a tinker’s dam either way.

mankai on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I’ll be glad to not see this woman on tv anymore.

blatantblue on August 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Might as well get used to seeing her for a little while longer. I think she’s going to milk that 15 minutes for all it’s worth.

UltimateBob on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Of course she doesn’t want a job with the USDA… That would eliminate her chances of getting a multi million dollar pay out when the hag sues her former boss. Ching, Ching… bend over tax payers.

Kuffar on August 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Only if the USDA settles first. She’s not going to let a big payday go by.

rbj on August 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Wonder where the bidding started and what she is holding out for.

fourdeucer on August 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Either she’s gonna sue, or she knows the cat is out of the bag regarding her past and she is gonna lay low. OT/ on another note that headline above about Obama possibly gaining momentum next week when he claims he won in Iraq is a hoot! You should read the comments!

sandee on August 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Allah……….It was all for show.
The job she was given was a payoff. Her tape shows she is a racist. Her husband’s clip even worse. And they both may have committed crimes over the people they were managing.

All for show.

lilium on August 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM

More money in a lawsuit.

GarandFan on August 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

She wants Vilsack’s job agency’s budget

macncheez on August 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Fixed it for you.

Allahpundit is being even squishier than usual when he uses words like “closure” and “understandably.” What we have here is a woman who has gotten where she is without any discernible ability, relying solely on race (and the mixture of gullible Americans’ race-guilt and Osama Obama’s revenge-driven push for reparations) to amass a large pile of taxpayers’ wealth.

She’s not going away anytime soon. At least not until we have people in government (starting with the White House) who say “you get what you earn” and not “you poor misunderstood, oppressed thing, America owes you whatever you want.”

MrScribbler on August 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Please, you and the chief clown and his posse, just go away.

lukespapa on August 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM

My guess would be that she is still in the discovery stage of what lawsuits against the government and Brietbart are likely to bring her (or settlements). She has plenty from her last one so why work?

Cindy Munford on August 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Many people working in the current administration should be behind bars for their shady dealings. This woman is one of them. I hear the bell tolling for all of the race hustlers. That, my friends, is part of the silver lining of the Obooba Presidency.

ReneePA on August 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Technically, they didn’t fire her.

She was told to tender her resignation and she did.

Since she was never fired, can she sue for wrongful termination?

I’m sure the case can be made that she wouldn’t have quit without them pressuring her to quit, but, does that little detail get the USDA off the hook?

JadeNYU on August 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

This lady is not going to sue the USDA. Oh, she’ll get a big settlement, sure, but the only person I have heard about her suing was Breitbart.

Of course she isn’t going to go after her ideological equals.

There are Conservative pockets to pick…

catmman on August 24, 2010 at 5:09 PM

She doesn’t need a job after the Pigford settlement she orchestrated. It’s kinda like winning the lottery.

Buy Danish on August 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM

She’s been waiting her whole affirmative action career for some one to slip up and cross her, she finally hit the public sector brass ring.

Alden Pyle on August 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Her speaking fees will now eclipse any govt salary, I would guess. She will be the new Victim of the Year.

PattyJ on August 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM

She was a political appointee, so I don’t think she can sue. Well, she can sue, but being successful is another matter. I’ve asked some federal employees, & according to them appointees serve at the will of the President (or his representatives–in this case, Vilsack). An appointee can be dismissed at any time, for any reason.

More likely, she’ll probably end up getting some sort of “program funding” or some other hush money, disguised as a community project or something. Vilsack fell on his sword for Obama, grovelling & apologizing. This will get minor coverage in the news & die quickly. Smart timing all around.

If she’s going to pursue a lawsuit, it’s more likely she’d sue Breitbart–AFTER the election. She presumably wouldn’t be foolish enough to open that can of worms before the election…would she? I don’t see her winning at all, but I could definitely see Obama’s camp using a lawsuit to bash his usual suspects–Fox, conservatives in general, Bush, Limbaugh. Assuming the GOP does make big gains in Congress (fingers crossed that they don’t blow it!), that would serve as a nice lift to the lefty base–some good all-around “GOP & conservatives are racist” type bashing to boost lefty spirits.

Kittymama on August 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM

..will this woman ever go away? She is becoming the black Cindy Sheehan!

Call your husband, Shirley, you’re 15 minutes were up about four weeks ago.

The War Planner on August 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

picklesgap on August 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for the link. Went all the way to Counterpunch for the full article. Doesn’t seem to be any “white hat” in this story. Not sure who should get the most scorn.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why it hasn’t been reported on?

capejasmine on August 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

They’re probably still trying to figure out what “spin” on this will produce the least tarnish to the Progressive cause.

This has been a long stinking 15 minutes!!!

AubieJon on August 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Naw . . . she just stole a page from Sarah, and “reloaded”.

Resignation accepted.

listens2glenn on August 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Did the Administration apologize to the 3 Navy Seals who were wrongfully accused, and subsequently acquitted, of punching an enemy combatant in the stomach?

Didn’t think so.

molonlabe28 on August 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Would like to see the USDA spend less time on racial equality and more time on preventing silly stuff like salmonella in eggs and e-coli in vegetables. I guess I’m not modern enough, I think the USDA should actually work on matters involving agriculture.

kringeesmom on August 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I watched Shirley today. The woman is in full shakedown mode. Because Obama jumped the shark, she knows, from her vast litiginous past, a great unlawful termination suit when she sees one!

In lieu of that, dear Shirley will rake in a silent but magnanimous settlement, camouflaged as some pricey “consulting” to the Ag Dept, in liew of a nasty employment case.

Mostly, Shirley is gonna retire in style better than she could have anticipated from her first lawsuit, vacationing and spending lots of time with her grandchildren on our dime.

Thanks, Obama.

marybel on August 24, 2010 at 7:28 PM

As for USDA and this whole egg thing, does anyone but me think this is a stupid use of news bandwidth and also a huge waste of imperfect but usable eggs? I mean, let us know and then give it a rest. Do we need to hear about it very hour on the hour???

Most eggs used for industrial purposes (like Eggos and Aunt Jemima frozen pancakes, and breads and cakes) are cooked well and pose no problem. Salmonella dies easily and quickly at most decently high cooking temperatures.

All we need to know is not to eat our eggs sunny side up or scrambled “easy” for awhile. Good grief, what a bunch of whooses Americans have become. Did any of us go to school?

Only the most direly susceptible will need to be hospitalized,uch less die over a little diarreah. Most of us overweight Americans could stand a losing those pounds that comes with a case of diarrhea. It’s inconvenient, but it’s generally not fatal.

Go ahead and pillory me. I think this is really a lot of hot air (and tossed out eggs) about not such a huge big deal.

marybel on August 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Shirley has had a few of her moments of fame. I suppose she’ll have a few more before she drops out of sight forever. Please, let’s just get it over with!

jeanie on August 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I’m kind of hoping that Saint Shirley will make up with the Bammie administration and the USDA, take some big job, and then Breitbart will drop the next bomb on her. You know how he loves to time his blockbusters to maximum effect.

slickwillie2001 on August 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM

marybel on August 24, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I agree, mostly more hype than real help… It just seems that the function of the USDA should be more directed at prevention and ag related issues.

My eggs are so fresh they are usually still warm, and I know exactly where thy come from.

kringeesmom on August 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

She, along with Obama, is a racist.

proconstitution on August 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM

kringeesmom on August 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

My dad always kept chickens. He fed them anything and everything. When I was a kid, I thought it was a little cannabalistic when he’d feed them leftover scrambled eggs along with the ham and hash browns from breakfast.

There is, however, nothing tastier in the world than a fresh laid egg.

YUM! Enjoy!

marybel on August 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Why work for an income when you can get money free from the government? She will take the easy, less honorable path. It’s worked well for her in the past.

BruthaMan on August 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM