Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on August 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I’m on vacation, but one of my top priorities is polling for the Obamateurism of the Week!  I fully support your right to pick your favorite choice, but I, er, don’t want to comment on the wisdom of it.  I can tell you that investing your time in it is better than some other investments, plus everyone knows who gets credit for it.  Meanwhile, I’ll go back on vacation here in LA, but I’ll try to keep from tying up traffic for it.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

I was originally going to vote for the Ground Zero mosque fiasco, but that LA fundraiser thing must still be sticking in the minds of all those people who were out there, stuck on the expressways in the middle of a scorching hot afternoon for who knows how long, while Obama had his little show-me-da-money lovefest.

pilamaye on August 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I had zero problem choosing Zero’s screw up this week.

Cindy Munford on August 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM

So many good choices, but the GZ mosque has had more impact and play.

darwin on August 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I wonder not if the mosque option wins, but by how much! Look forward to the final tally, ought to be a whopper! It trumps his Ft. Hood “shout-outs” from November, and I didn’t know if that was possible.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on August 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Torn, but I voted for the mosque. If the traffic jam had occurred under the Bush Administration, we would have had investigative journos looking for some pregnant woman who got to the hospital late because of him. The mosque though is what I think adds to the Donks losing votes in Nov.

And I still wonder why we don’t assess his handling of the war as amateurish, on any occasion. There are soldiers who die every week directly as a result of the Obama Administrations rules of engagement.

hawkdriver on August 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

This gets tougher every week.

Guardian on August 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I’m listening to Gregory rant about over 30% of Republicans believing that Obama is a Muslim. The liberals seem to be so outraged by this opinion one has to wonder why they have such a huge problem with the Muslim faith. That is very un-liberal like of them. lol

joedoe on August 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

His priorities and the renovation are simply typical Obama.

The LA traffic story is a little tempting, but those same clowns who were griping will invariably vote for him in November. Had he done that in SE Florida and paralized Broward County or the metro area of some swing state, it might be a different story.

The Social Security mistake was very tempting for me. Obama is a typical liberal who has spent little, if any, time in employment sectors where pay turns on performance. As far as Obama is concerned, he shows up some place on a regular basis, and the job fairy puts money into his account. Along those lines, liberals have an unbelievable faith in government’s ability to handle money and an unbelievable distrust of private markets. Hence, the belief that Social Security is a useful system and that government is a wise investor.

All that aside, the Obamamosque takes the cake. He’s an absolute moron. And we learned that less than half of Democrats and less than half of blacks think he’s a Christian. Awesome.

BuckeyeSam on August 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Kind of a shame that the Ground Zero Mosque gaffe is going to overshadow a couple of other beauties this week, but it wins going away if for no other reason that the monumental magnitude of the blunder.

novaculus on August 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

2,3 & 5 were lies.

4 was probably the fault of the “system”.

Opening his big mouth on the mosque issue was the work of an amateur.

OldEnglish on August 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Being from Ohio and having to endure the liberal, lying Dems that control this State, I had to go with the porkulus project. No doubt, however, O-bama-lama-ding-dong’s GZM comment will be the winner.

GrannyDee on August 22, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Obama endorses Ground Zero mosque, then says he wasn’t “commenting on the wisdom” of building it at the site.

He wasn’t being an amateur. He was being a deliberate a$$hole.

rollthedice on August 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I voted for his staggering number of “top” priorities. Perhaps not so amateurish, but definitely a clanging bell signaling that he has never been in an executive position.

Kafir on August 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Let’s hope…….. This weekly feature won’t continue past the glorious moment in January 2013 when he gets to move up to his new post, President of the Union of Nations (his “I’m KING OF THE WORLD” moment).

And we get to go back to just having normal Presidencies.

PappyD61 on August 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Imama Obama has a really funny reverser.

Next time America, elect and American, forget the hate when voting, it blinds. You get one time to blame the media then it’s all your fault. We don’t do this vote thing with Imam Obama rules.

tarpon on August 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

He was for the Mosque before he was against it … How Kerryesque

wheels on August 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM

GZM…..hands down. Poor slob can’t help it. He just HAS to open his big pie hole. He actually believes that if he just blesses us with utterances that all will be fine. The problem, just as it was with the Cambridge fiasco and so many others, is that (to borrow a phrase) he never fully engages his brain BEFORE he puts his mouth into drive.

Cpt. Kick Ass looks more like Sgt. Smart Ass every day!

J.

JohnnyMojo on August 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Had to go with the “wisdom” of the mosque. It was bad and it seems to be gaining strength with some long legs. Rush did a half hour on the religion of presidents on Friday. He laid it out quite well. It was obvious that GWB was a Christian. We never doubed it. It was never in question. Same with Bill Clinton. We never doubted it. Barack H. Obama? Hmmmmmmmm.

BetseyRoss on August 22, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Kafir on August 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

That’s actually a great point Kafir. I hadn’t thought about that, but it does speak volumes about how any of these others event are allowed to happen.

hawkdriver on August 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM

2,3 & 5 were lies.

4 was probably the fault of the “system”.

Opening his big mouth on the mosque issue was the work of an amateur.

OldEnglish on August 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

That’s a good argument. Consider me convinced. I already voted for “invest” in social security because I’m so sick of him claiming that government “invests”, but #1 definitely fits the amateur bill best.

forest on August 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Ground Zero Mosque endorsement. Easy.

SlaveDog on August 22, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I chose;
“I have no regrets” – I Won
Probably fits in all the choices.

Electrongod on August 22, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Meddling in the GZM mess. No contest at all.

Dark-Star on August 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Wow, five excellent choices in one week.

Heck of a job Barry!

chasmartel on August 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM

***

We never doubted it. Barack H. Obama? Hmmmmmmmm.

BetseyRoss on August 22, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Liberals are having a fit about the Muslim characterization, but they are not saying a word that Obama’s polling on the question of whether he’s a Christian has tumbled across the board–especially with Democrats and separately with blacks. Less than half of both groups currently believe he’s a Christian. And that was before the GZM fiasco.

Around the country, everyone except delusional Kool-Aid drinkers are asking, “Who the f*** is this guy?”

BuckeyeSam on August 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Obama credits Porkulus for renovation project it didn’t fund at all

Just part of his Taking all the Credit, None of the Blame credo. I’m returning to school next month and needed a student loan to get there. Does this mean that Obama gets the credit for my academic and future life successes?

Tommy_G on August 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Tommy_G on August 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

All your grades are belong to him!

IrishEi on August 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM

The mosque – because as the background story goes every Democratic candidate called the White House with a “WTF!!!????” on Friday night and Rahm had to spend days on the phone “Please don’t do a Harry Reid!”

Marcus on August 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM

That was easy. GZM. So bad that we even have a new acronym because of Barry!

The GZM fiasco might even be the Obamamatuerism of the year.

turfmann on August 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

The way things are going, having only five choices every week will be a problem.

Maybe there should be a run-off to narrow it down to five.

SlaveDog on August 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

BuckeyeSam on August 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Yep, and what a shame that more of them didn’t ask it before they pulled the lever next to his name back in 2008.

But hey, it’s more important to be cool, and part of something “historic” — right, nitwit 52%ers?

AZCoyote on August 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM

That was easy. GZM. So bad that we even have a new acronym because of Barry!

The GZM fiasco might even be the Obamamatuerism of the year.

turfmann on August 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Turfmann, of the year???? How about of his lifetime? Since he has already outed his religious beliefs to the president of Egypt, it’s idiotic for liberals to be in such a twit about why so many American believe he is Muslim. He says he is. That’s why. And his support for this mosque is so repugnant as to be stomach wrenching. Build it, sure, but not where your kinfolk killed so many Americans….

chai on August 22, 2010 at 9:52 AM

GZM. Hands down.

ExpressoBold on August 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM

OT: Blago is on Fox News Sunday.

“No I don’t compare myself to Winston Churchill. I don’t smoke cigars, drink scotch and I can run faster than him.”

What a card.

SlaveDog on August 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Everything he says is suspect and needs to be fact-checked. The fact that he was willing to compromise the upcoming elections with his stance on the mosque (knowing that many people believe him to be a closet Muslim) shows his amatuerism to the nth power.

texabama on August 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

amatuerism to the nth power.

Yes, I’ve said it before.

DrStock on August 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Obama credits Porkulus for renovation project it didn’t fund at all

Tommy_G on August 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Tommy_G on August 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM

All your grades are belong to him!

IrishEi on August 22, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Face facts, Tommy. All that you are and all that you will ever be, is due to the magnificence of Der Leader. I don’t detect the proper note of awe and gratefulness in your comment, and for that you will be duly punished!

GrannyDee on August 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Picked the number of priorities, he has said he will not rest on so many occasions on so many topics, his priorities are vacationing and amatuerisms.

fourdeucer on August 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I’d vote “all of the above”, but that option wasn’t presented.

Hmmmm . . . decisions, decisions . . . .

listens2glenn on August 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Obama tends to screw up in volume. goes a couple weeks with little screw ups then has “one of those weeks” where he goes all out.

unseen on August 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I had to go with his Mecca-on-The-Hudson moment.

My optimistic prediction, that Obama would prove to be the greatest gift to a regrowth of the American conservative movement, is looking more realistic by the day.

Incidentally, did anybody else notice the shot showing him chewing gum on his most recent latest vacation? I’m surprised he wasn’t blowing bubbles – how unpresidential he is.

Drained Brain on August 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I knew the majority would vote for the mosque, but I think it has plausible deniability; while the man who was elected by the American people tells them they are too stupid to make investment decisions is very amateur and most certainly shows Obama’s arrogant character.

katablog.com on August 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Whoa, that was weird. I voted for the mosque choice, and it came up as the 911th vote.

What are the odds?

JohnGalt23 on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Number one. Also, the work must be getting to him, notice how he is scratching his head before making his next statement.

Should have been doing that along time ago.

MSGTAS on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

No rest for Obama

fourdeucer on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

It was definitely a bad hair day week for the Bamster. Folks are catching on fast to this little poseur.

petefrt on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I voted for #3 for the annual “SS is doing fine” speech right in the middle of budget reports on how badly SS is floundering. I saw this as reality challenged and play by the book.

BTW, “all of the above” would be a slam-dunk nearly every week!

mad scientist on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Valid arguments on the votes for GZM flip-flop. I went with the claim the insolvent BigGovt, Inc., can invest better than individuals. I think the potential for damage and the outrageousness of the lie have the potential to cause more long-term damage.

Tom_OC on August 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I had to go with #5, with all the aides and information at this man’s fingertips and he couldn’t get straight where the funding for the project came from. It’s as if everyone in the administration from the very top to the very bottom is just along for the ride.

tommer74 on August 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

2,3 & 5 were lies.

4 was probably the fault of the “system”.

Opening his big mouth on the mosque issue was the work of an amateur.

OldEnglish on August 22, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Thread winner

ladyingray on August 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

GrannyDee on August 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I’ve been punished for about twenty months now. My parole date is January 20, 2013. Hope I can hold on till then.

Tommy_G on August 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Could be that he is trying to kick the habit of smoking cigarettes, but it still isn’t very presidential.

The Social Security comment was ignorant, but the mosque comment is another “the Police acted stupidly” comment which just goes to show he learns nothing from his so called “teachable moments.”

Beaglemom on August 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Professor Wisdumb strikes again. GZM.

Philly on August 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I think we need a Mediamateurism of the day too.

darwin on August 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Ok picking this winner was a no brainer. The first one should not be in this contest. It should have a category of it’s own held up as a shining example of boneheadedness not to mention narcissistic arrogance. With that in mind I voted for the LA traffic jam. It looks like the last three are going to be close.

Oldnuke on August 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

no brainer Mosquerade

JohnBissell on August 22, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Had to be the GZM trip gaffetastic.

He’s got libs twisting in the wind now, running around telling everyone how they love Christians – the religion Obama “practices”. Haha, remember the previous evil Christian president they chastised on a regular basis?

BTW and OT………… Matthews main topic this morning on his Sunday show, with Obama having an absolutely disastrous week – how and why Kennedy trounced Nixon. LOL.

fogw on August 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Kafir on August 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Is this nonsense due to lack of executive experience and the inability to effectively prioritize, or the regular willingness to cravenly pander to whomever you are addressing at the moment?

novaculus on August 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I want two votes… But a had to go with no mas(k) cause we only get 16

RalphyBoy on August 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM

So many choices and just one pick. Had to go with the traffic jamb, as it pointed out his total lack of interest in anybody else’s time. Why didn’t he get a hair cut at the L.A.X. while he was at it?

Fynxbell on August 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Obama’s mosque message was the winner. It started a political firestorm that will be in the news even after the midterms.

kingsjester on August 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Another difficult choice, but I went with the stimulus claim because it is just so typical of him taking credit for something he had nothing to do with.

I would add another…Obama accepts Nobel peace prize…19 months later Iran unveils a new drone plane and begins fueling its nuclear plant.

scalleywag on August 22, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Had to go with GZM because you will not be able to find anyone who doesn’t have an opinion on this one way or the other, so its the magnitude of the Obamatuerism. Best part, it was planned and scripted and he still screwed it up.

txmomof6 on August 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

While I don’t know if The Joker is a Muslim or not, he definitely is a charter member of Our Lady of the Narcissistic Jerk.

SagebrushPuppet on August 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Lord, another target rich environment. But there is a clear first among equals.

jnelchef on August 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

We need an Obamatourism of the Week feature, the way Barack and Chelley live, on this economy’s dole.

Eleonor Roosevelt is NOT proud.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Obama – tourism, as in tour-ists, to be sure, in case you overlook the spelling.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Too bad GZM happened this week – all of them were really worthy but the Mosque Mess really takes the cake.

RedNewEnglander on August 22, 2010 at 11:30 AM

SENSITIVE ABOUT A FEW THOUSAND DEATHS, YOU WIMPS? HOW ABOUT AN AIR FORCE ONE PHOTO SHOOT ON STEROIDS FOR DEAR LEADER’S CREW:

In light of the fact that the liberal academic, media and gov’t elite can’t perceive any special sentiments on the part of Ground Zero area denizens (or Americans generally) over the 9/11 slaughter, many possibilities are open. I see some inconsistency with the fact that they demand the complete censure of anyone who uses a word to refer to a race which its members routinely use to one another because it is hurtful and insensitive, but I digress.

Anyway, I see a great achievement coming:

Suppose NASA does a surprise salute to/of Muslim contributions to space and launches a rocket to go RIGHT BY the community center?

Even if it manages to miss the Ground Zero area, can you imagine the thrill it could give to New Yorkers? NBC could get an exclusive on the wonder of it all!

And any panic would just show cowardice and bigotry!

IlikedAUH2O on August 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

The Ground Zero mosque was last week.

The real Obamateurism of this week, which [hard to imagine] tops it, was abandoning Israel to the Iranian nukes.

And reassuring the Israelis that they have a year to live, so don’t worry.

profitsbeard on August 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Obama treats issues like the GZM like he does the first draft of a paper. He throws something out there, let’s all the spinmeisters do the edits, and the second draft is his walkback the following day. The final copy is the resultant mess we’re left with.

Good solid B+

ted c on August 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM

And reassuring the Israelis that they have a year to live, so don’t worry.

profitsbeard on August 22, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Indeed. And, if they want to live, they better give in to the Palestinians, so that Obama, the god of all gods, can have that world healer picture taken. It’ll never be.

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Obama’s 4 disasters, just the latest ones:

The Ground Zero mosque ‘declarations’, all of them…and counting

The Economy, supid, some “Recovery Summer” (hate to see the slump, chump)

Meddling in Arizona, which points out how wanting yer thugs are

Negative campaigning, no accountability on the part of the biggest and malicius Child, who refuses to grow up

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM

supid – stupid

Schadenfreude on August 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM

This would all be very amusing if zerO wasn’t dismantling America during his four year vacation.

Mojave Mark on August 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM

And now, we must endure another week of Obama screw ups. What will he do and say this coming week?

mobydutch on August 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Easiest OOTW pick evah. GZM for the lose.

Rosmerta on August 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Yes, mobydutch – that’s my one objection to the otherwise fabulous notion of these Obamateurism of the Day threads. I’m conditioned to look for the worst. Though Ed is as fair as he can be, and does give The Won his due on those rare occasions when he deserves it.

Rosmerta on August 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM

The mosque issue ain’t going away.

How long was it we were supposed to wait before a movie was made in regards to 9/11?

Then when the Path to 9/11 was made how hard was that fought against? (by whom is off topic here but still applies).

73 days to mid-terms.

Can you hear us yet?

RealMc on August 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM

IlikedAUH2O on August 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

P. S. If NASA doesn’t have the budget for rockets, an organization called HAMAS seems to have a load of them. And I have been told that they would pay the freight the USA to loft one right over NYC. I have also heard that the community center guys would be OK with it since they don’t identify HAMAS as terrorists or anything.

The Community Center Imam says terrorism is a more oomplicated subject than most of us could handle and the center would help. You knowcomplicated, don’t you? It is like rocket science.

IlikedAUH2O on August 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Sweet! I nailed it. Of course, I think this week it was incredibly obvious which one would be on top.

Still, I’ll take the win.

azkag on August 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I voted for the mosque, but I’m thinking the LA street closure will have quite a lot of long-term impact, too, since that would be an upperclass neighborhood that would have voted for him in 2008 and would have donated money to his campaign. Angeleno’s take our street traffic VERY seriously (much more seriously than Pakistan floods, Iranian nukes, or Mexican immigration), and I’m pretty sure that every single one of those trapped thousands will never, ever, vote for That Person again.

The interesting thing to me about Obama’s LA visit even *before* he screwed it up with the traffic jam is that the hosts who leant their names to the function (Streisand and Spielberg) didn’t actually physically attend. Betcha it was an opportunity for Obama to meet a bunch more Housewives of OC and WH gate-crasher types.

NahnCee on August 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Nobody is better at Voting PRESENT than Barack H Obama:)

Dr Evil on August 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Ed hope you are enjoying vacation!
I have WON simple request when you come back could we change this thread to Obamateurism of the Day?

This Lyin Pinnochio “Cousin Eddie” Resident providess too much material to make such tough decisions. I feel I need a month or three to decide on a weeks worth of screw ups from King Screw-up Hisself!

dhunter on August 22, 2010 at 4:08 PM

hawkdriver on August 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Tell me which mainstream media outlet has pointed this out and you will know why the public in general doesn’t react to this. Besides, I don’t believe his handling of the war is amateurish. I believe it’s calculated treason.

Extrafishy on August 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Extrafishy on August 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM

OK. We are going broke. So.. why didn’t we just pull out? A campaign promise?

You must be kidding me.

I don’t understand it and am lost by the decision.

IlikedAUH2O on August 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM

GZM moment , no doubt.
It was just like Helen Thomas’s comment on Jewish people.
It removed ANY doubt people had about Hussain’s loyalties and allegiances.
And just like Helen Thomas, he followed it up with a snark.

macncheez on August 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Maybe Imam Rauf and that jerk of a developer were on that flight and wanted to delight in an aerial view of the impact, so to speak.

onlineanalyst on August 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM

GZM so far takes 61 percent of votes, mirroring the polls of public opposition to the GZM.

This leads me to suspect public opposition would poll higher than 60 percent in a straight poll

IMHO the Obamateurism was not his retraction of the GMZ endorsement, it would be his original endorsement

Such an endorsement is un-retractable

Example: a pol saying he had no trouble with a child molester next door to a school has earned a permanent reputation. A retraction has no merit

entagor on August 23, 2010 at 8:21 AM