Biden to Dems: Bet money on it — we’ll still hold the House and Senate after the midterms

posted at 2:16 pm on August 20, 2010 by Allahpundit

We all cope with failure in our own ways, my friends. Some of us tell ourselves that we’re still doing a heckuva job, no matter what the idiots out there think. Some of us retreat into fantasy and start making plans for what we’ll do after our inevitable success. And some of us gird our loins and rally ourselves to hang in there, no matter how bleak things might look.

Gotta say, of the three, I prefer Biden’s approach.

Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. urged Democrats on Friday to shake away their pessimism about the midterm elections, declaring: “The reports of the death of the Democratic Party have been greatly exaggerated.”…

“On Nov. 3, the day after the election, there will be a Democratic majority in the House and a Democratic majority in the Senate,” Mr. Biden said. “If it weren’t illegal, I’d make book on it.”…

“When we have the American people focus on our differences, I think we are going to do just fine in November,” Mr. Biden said, speaking over applause from a few hundred attendees. “The choice is not between Democrats and the Almighty, it’s between Democrats and the Republican Tea party.”

I’m tempted to mock, but can we really fault him for this? What else is a coach supposed to do when his team’s down 40 points at halftime? Tell ‘em to go out there and try not to lose by 80? (Actually, maybe that’s exactly what they should be doing.)

While Biden was giving his pep talk today, WaPo was busy expanding its coverage of this year’s Senate races from 10 contested seats to 15. It seems that another five contests have suddenly become toss-ups; four of them involve seats currently held by Democrats. Content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m saying that people who don’t like me who’ve never even met me and don’t know anything about me because I’m an atheist, and are trying to spread their hatred, scare me.

Are you suggesting that I should ignore my danger instinct?

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Your danger instinct is kinda screwed up.

When was the last time Christians went on a rampage hunting down and killing atheists like you and me?

I believe for the Muslims such killing frenzies are called Thursday.

You think Beck who is actually a Mormon is going to what? Start a Mormon Jihad against atheists?

Are you serious?

sharrukin on August 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Stuff like this is what has me worried that this year’s “October Surprise” is something massive, that they committed apparent political suicide these two years knowing they have a Soros trick in the bag.

PastorJon on August 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Well, he’s actually correct no matter what. The day after the election there will still be a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate.

Now, when January rolls around, those majorities will be gone.

ButterflyDragon on August 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

This just in….

while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico just off Marthas Vineyard, Barrack “Cousin Eddie” Obama was bitten by a great white shark who promptly let the Chicago Jesus go.

Joe “Bite-me” Obiden promptly declared the Great White a RACIST!

dhunter on August 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Dems had better take some of Bluto’s other advice:

“My suggestion to you is to start drinking heavily”

That is no way to go thru life, Biden, fat drunk and stupid. Fat on the people’s money. Drunk on power. And stupid is as stupid does.

Floriduh Jim on August 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Christians aren’t hunting down atheists, we’re trying to stop the ones who want to shut us up, at least from speaking from a Christian point of view.

In this country you are free to be an atheist, that’s what makes it great. The problem is Christianity is demonized so much by the press and people like the ACLU, or Demoncrats when a Republican is Christian, we feel hunted sometimes.

PastorJon on August 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Technically the Sherrif is correct. Republicans won’t officially take the majority positions in the House and Senate until mid-January.

dlc2 on August 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM

dlc2 on August 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Exactly. I think this was a signal to the liberals that they’re going full steam ahead on a lame duck strategy.

ButterflyDragon on August 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM

PastorJon on August 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Well this is one atheist who would rather live in a Christian country than a Muslim one any day of the week, and I am not too thrilled with most of the atheist states that have shown up either.

sharrukin on August 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Well DUH!!! Someone needs to remind Sheriff Joe about inauguration day!

Come JANUARY, there will be a different story, amd if it weren’t illegal, I’d make book on that!

Fatal on August 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I was going to say this if you hadn’t. The day after the election, the current officeholders are still officeholders. Joe finally figured this out, but figured no one else has.

SnowSun on August 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

forest on August 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Too funny!

Vince on August 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

People here who know me know I’m not anti-religious or anti-Christian, but I am anti-people-who-are-anti-me. Over the last few weeks Beck has been tiptoe that line, making me feel like danger is on the horizon.

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I’m not anti toward anyone. I’m anti progressive/liberal/socialist/communist agenda though. That being said….Beck I think is simply conveying a message from his perspective of how he sees things being played out. It doesn’t mean he’s anti athiest, or perpetrating the danger himself.

capejasmine on August 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I listen to Glenn as well (betcha couldn’t guess), and I can’t hardly see where he’s promoting an Americanized version of the Spanish Inquisition. But if that’s not what you meant, then what did you mean?

I understand you may have just left your computer terminal for an extended time, but I trust you will see this eventually.

listens2glenn on August 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Count it!

lorien1973 on August 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Thus spake the Village Idiot

ya2daup on August 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Well, you know, Uncle Joe’s been right about everything so far… oh, wait…

Queen0fCups on August 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, replace the word atheist with Christian and the same effect applies to a lot of us.

carbon_footprint on August 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Yes, you will hold the House after the November midterms. you’ll hold it until the first week of January when the new Congress is inaugurated.

Zing!

dczombie on August 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM

The only way the dems will win is an October surprise. Maybe they already have bin Laden (after accusing Bush of the same). The October surprise that could help them win, but also destroy the country is amnesty for illegals. However, that may push some states toward seccession, or force a constitutional convention.

ConservativePartyNow on August 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

C’mon, what “hatred” against atheists?

I work on a university campus; atheists are heroes and those of us with a strong faith have to hide in the shadows as we are regularly lampooned.

mankai on August 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Biden’s right. The Dems will have a majority on November 3rd.

But not on Febuary 3rd.

DarkCurrent on August 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I have tried to envision anything that could happen to lessen the anger Americans in general feel – and I really don’t think a Bin Laden “capture” would do it.

Queen0fCups on August 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM

“Did president Roosevelt give up when the stock market crashed in 1929?! Heck no, he got on TV and told everyone we’re gonna to have to fundamentally change the country and share sacrifice and hunker down for a 11 year government-perpetuated depression. Stand up Franklin, let ‘em see you. Oh! God luv ya.”

forest on August 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

+1×10^6

..hey, I’m rollin’ on the floor dyin’ from laughter here! Oh, and the bill for a new monitor and keypoard are in the mail!

The War Planner on August 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Why is Sgt Smart@$$ Biteme squealing with joy ?

macncheez on August 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM

macncheez: Sweet!:)

canopfor on August 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Hey Plugs, wanna bet your reputation on that? Nevermind..it is already in the crapper.

Wade on August 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Heh! — you tell ‘em Joe! Btw Joe, do you still think J-O-B-S is a three-letter word?

Richard Romano on August 20, 2010 at 3:51 PM

forest on August 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

now, this…is the work of a master. ROFL!

ted c on August 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Never go full retard.

(Credit to RarestRX)

jazzmo on August 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Something good about this is that it freezes the bar. Recently I’ve heard folks talking aobut how winning 40 seats could be set up as a failure by republicans, it could have been much worse. In a sense, Biden has raised the bar for Democrats, and thus it’ll be even harder to backpedal the meaning of a take over of the house.

Of course, to me, the number is +13 in the senate and +130 in the house or it’s a failure. I just want to see the most astonishing realignment in US Political history. I’m a bastard like that.

WashingtonsWake on August 20, 2010 at 4:02 PM

Biden’s right. The Dems will have a majority on November 3rd.

But not on Febuary 3rd.

DarkCurrent on August 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

Leaves himself an ‘escape hatch’ when they lose big.

“No, you weren’t listening, what I said was . . .”

listens2glenn on August 20, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Does anyone really listen, much less believe anything “Mr Summer of Recovery!” says?

GarandFan on August 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Either the Democrats have a can’t-miss mass-cheating strategy or Biden is just being a chucklehead again.

Aitch748 on August 20, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Update: The shark bite did not break the skin, and the shark apologized, and went looking for a Tea Partier. Professional courtesy, you see.

etaoinshrdlu on August 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Honestly, I’m still VERY skeptical. I don’t think i’ll believe there’s going to be a single seat picked up until it happens.

WashingtonsWake on August 20, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Alfred E. Biden

DamnCat on August 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Riiiigghhhtttt. Love your neighbor as yourself. Got to keep an eye out for that.

Go see what atheist countries have done to their citizens over the last century.

Squiggy on August 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Alfred E. Biden

DamnCat on August 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM

May the ghost of Sergio Aragones haunt you forever for that.

Squiggy on August 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

The Democrats have to make a difficult decision, and soon, about their strategy.
`
`
Should they try to save a House Majority by pouring money to defend incumbents who are in extreme distress right now? Or should they spend it to defend those in more borderline districts, hoping to minimize the damage and enable a possible comeback in 2012?
`
`
It could make the difference between a 45 seat loss in November and a 70 seat loss – but how do they tell their incumbents they are being thrown to the wolves? And how do you tell Nancy Pelosi you have given up her nice office by default?
`
`
Ah, good times, good times . . .

Adjoran on August 20, 2010 at 4:29 PM

It’s 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. Joe is as nuts as everyone KNOWS he is.
2. He knows something we dont.

If it’s #2…no pun intended…It has to come in the form of election rigging, ballot box stuffing, ACORN/SEIU beat-down squads influencing votes, martial law, election being cancelled…etc etc etc.

I know #1 is correct.
I wouldn’t doubt it one bit if we see #2.

Talismen on August 20, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Bet money on it? How can he be sure so? Maybe Obama showed him his profits and earnings ratios.

petefrt on August 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM

sure so so sure

petefrt on August 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The question remains as to who is more ginned-up than the other one: Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi.

Lourdes on August 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM

May the ghost of Sergio Aragones haunt you forever for that.
Squiggy on August 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Dude…Sergio Aragones is still alive and working.

DamnCat on August 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM

As an atheist,I always tell people that I’d prefer living in a country where people pray for me than one where people want to cut my head off.

DDT on August 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Hell Joe, why don’t you just claim that you are going to increase your majorities? It’s just about as believable.

But in case the DNC wants to bet the wad, they could get nearly 5/2 over at Intrade.

JohnGalt23 on August 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM

So put up or shut up Joe.
Democrats lose either House or Senate, you resign.
They win, you stay on for 2 more years.

albill on August 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Are you suggesting that I should ignore my danger instinct?

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, those awful Christians and their teachings to hate athiests and spread that gospel of hatred throughout the world. Just a smattering of their hate filled teachings:

MATTHEW 5:43-45

“You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ “But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”

MATTHEW 22:35-40

One of them, a lawyer (of course!), asked Him a question, testing Him, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, ” ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ “This is the great and foremost commandment. “The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ “On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

LUKE 6:35-37

“But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.”

JOHN 13:35

“By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

ROMANS 13:10

Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

1 CORINTHIANS 13:1-3

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

1 CORINTHIANS 13:13

But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 CORINTHIANS 16:14

Let all that you do be done in love.

GALATIANS 5:2-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

EPHESIANS 5:1-2

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children;
and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you . . .

1 THESSOLONIANS 3:12

and may the Lord cause you to increase and abound in love for one another, and for all people, just as we also do for you;

1 TIMOTHY 6:11

But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness.

1 JOHN 3:18

Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

Fatal on August 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Biden is speaking the truth, which is downright scary considering this Administration. It is incontestably true that on November 3, 2010, there will still be a majority of dems controlling the House and Senate, because the new Congressional term doesn’t begin until January, 2011. Biden didn’t say that the new Congress would have democrat majorities, just that this Congress will continue to have such majorities until the new one is sworn in.
You gotta know how to decode democrap.

eaglewingz08 on August 20, 2010 at 5:35 PM

All you dems better listen carefully cuz Plugs is twirling the words here.

Kissmygrits on August 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Biden is just getting his stand up comedy street cred together for 2013.

Mojave Mark on August 20, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Gotta act as if there is hope to keep the money coming.

CWforFreedom on August 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Technically he’s right, on Nov. 3rd they will still be in office, even if they do lose the election.

Scrappy on August 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Seriously, where do I make my bet? :) :) :)

Offshore, Vegas, Monte Carlo? There has to be a place! I would bet the farm on the Democrats losing the House in November (and I would probably do another side bet on them losing the Senate (with my neighbors farm- lol!)). :) :) :)

Theophile on August 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM

October surprise:
China suddenly wants to hire 40 million Americans, because of Dem diplomacy?
Iran suddenly has a friendly democracy, cuz the Dems made them feel guilty?
The Dems tell us they were just fooling all the time, and will keep the Bush tax cuts, roll back Obamacare, give back GM to the bondholders etc., pay down the deficit with money found under a desk at the CIA…

What could they possibly do that would make any difference? Catching Osama would not change my vote.

jodetoad on August 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Of course the Dems will still hold majorities in both Houses of Congress. Their Republican replacements won’t take office until January.

ksm on August 20, 2010 at 9:31 PM

If any Dems, and Mr. Biden especially, would like to actually place their bets, I will gladly take their action and retire at 33.

SuperCool on August 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM

“It’s time to do something pointless and stupid”.

Obamacare in a nutshell.
Come to think of it that applies to most of the legislative “accomplishments” since OBO took office.

mad scientist on August 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Joe, it’s a three letter word O.V.E.R. that you don’t understand…

right2bright on August 20, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Vice Buffoon.

AshleyTKing on August 21, 2010 at 4:22 AM

I’m saying that people who don’t like me … and are trying to spread their hatred, scare me.

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

1 JOHN 3:18

… let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

Fatal on August 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Thanks, Fatal, for the compliation of Christ’s teachings on love.

Reading just one, for me, is convicting. But twelve? …. well …it really drives home the fact that I’m an utter failure when it comes to living up to the foundation of His teachings.

Because of my failures, I pray that I’ve not lead others like FloatingRock to conclude that Christians are “trying to spread their hated.”

We’re called, “through deed and truth” to spread love. But some, like me, let ourselves get in the way and don’t always do a very good of it.

(Not sure what this has to do with the dems holding congress but I’ll certaily pray that they don’t.)

Rod on August 21, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Vice President Plugs Plagerizer, the smartest IQ in the room (just ask!) speaks, and everyone freezes to listen!

Young Plagerizer is not going to waltz into Daddy Plug’s Senate seat in Delawhere.

“Stand up Chuck!” Oh, dear, Chuck doesn’t have any legs!

Cleveland Steamer on August 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Then probably you shouldn’t vote for Beck. What – Beck isn’t running for office? /

katiejane on August 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM

What I’d like to know is if Biden, or someone he knows, has an ace up his/her sleeve that we know little or nothing about.

Call me crazy if you will, but there’s just something about the way he says it…like a professional card-player just before he pulls out a winning hand on the last possible play. And just what that hand might be is giving me the creeps.

Dark-Star on August 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

A chia pet would make a better Vice President than Joe Biden.

Or a better President.

The Democrats need to run Chia Pet/Pet Rock in 2012, I might just consider it.

Be better than anyone they’ve ran for President since . . . ever.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Dark-Star on August 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Joe Biden’s a glue-sniffing moron who has trouble tying his velcro sneakers in the morning.

NoDonkey on August 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Joe’s optimistic because he remembers how his hero, Abraham Lincoln (D-Florida) overcame long odds in his time…like when Abe Lincoln crossed the Delaware to attack the Viet Cong, after being surrounded by the Vikings. Old Abe came through THAT just fine, thank you very much.

Justrand on August 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM

NoDonkey on August 21, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I agree. But any career politician, even if he or she is totally clueless about everything else in life, knows how to get reelected by any means permissible. And ‘any means’ includes illegal methods.

Maybe I’m just being a bit paranoid, but I have a bad feeling about all this.

Dark-Star on August 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Only at gunpoint…which wouldn’t surprise me all that much at this point.

Army Brat on August 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Army Brat on August 21, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Worry not, these are Obama’s, Pelosi’s and Reid’s Democrats. The three Stooge Jackasses.

The only guns they have are squirt guns and they probably couldn’t figure out how to operate those, much less an actual firearm.

The only good thing about being ruled by complete morons is that they have no ability to hold onto power, rather by legitimate or illegitimate means.

NoDonkey on August 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM

FloatingRock on August 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM:

As an atheist Beck is starting to scare me

Maybe if you actually watch his show you won’t feel threatened.

and Rush has been trying to tarnish Obama today by pointing out that his mother was an atheist

If truth frightens you, then you should be worried about that. Liberals do have a big problem with truth – it gets in the way of their propaganda.

Mark Levin had an atheist caller the other day which, surprisingly, he seemed to get along with—just so long as the atheist agreed with him that he was essentially a second class citizen.

Since your comprehension is subpar, I can only assume that you misunderstood that exchange as well.

It’s like this, Floater – as long as most of us in America have a belief in a higher power that doesn’t require us to blow up innocent people, America will be safe. We can afford to carry a few atheists like you.

You’re welcome.

disa on August 22, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I’m a little worried about Nov. 2nd. The Dims have a ton more money than the GOP to buy the election.

HellCat on August 23, 2010 at 12:15 AM

If the Dims win, it will be worse for the country. There are alot of people who think this might drive the 3% over the edge. Is that really the plan?

Cromagnum on August 23, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Dark-Star on August 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM

I understand your concerns, I really do….however, this is Biden we’re talking about. Even if the dems had some kind of October surprise that could in fact affect the election, do you think even a dem is dumb enough to tell Biden about it? Yeah, me neither.

runawayyyy on August 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM