Quotes of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on August 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

I don’t agree with Giuliani on this. I think Park51 should be built — and in the location chosen by the private developers, which is not at Ground Zero but two blocks north of it. But there’s a difference between Giuliani and his fellow Republicans who have waded in on this issue. While he’s asking tough, edgy questions of the project’s backers, he’s doing so without engaging in the needlessly inflammatory and divisive rhetoric that makes a mockery of everyone’s professed support of freedom of religion.

Now that Giulaini has broken his silence, it’s time for another one to do so. Calling George W. Bush.

***
President Obama caused a stir with his speech at a White House iftar stating that Muslims had the same religious freedom as every other community in America. President Bush used to host White House iftars too. I believe, if he were President today, Bush would have given the same speech. I wish he would emerge from his ranch in Texas to give it now.

***
Without the steadying hand of a leader like Bush to hold back the floodgates of anti-Islamic rhetoric, Republicans have descended into the sort of political scapegoating of Islam that the country has largely avoided for the past nine years.

As a lifelong Democrat, there is something deeply counterintuitive about describing George W. Bush as the voice of reason and tolerance in the Republican party. And yet here we are. It seems that things just aren’t the same in America without him.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He’s a class act. Don’t know if someone else has already mentioned this, but the Prez is giving everyone a coin. Truly awesome. Miss him.

mjtyson on August 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Professor Blather,

You breezed by my second post before railing against people for their illiteracy.

Embarrassment all around I would say, so welcome to the club.

ghost707 on August 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I say again: what is wrong with these people?

Quotes. They are quotes.

Professor Blather on August 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I don’t know Prof. but it sure is interesting to see so many so willing to jump without sufficient information.

Texas Gal on August 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I say again: what is wrong with these people?

Quotes. They are quotes.

Professor Blather on August 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I did not get the impression that monica was just referring to the quotes. I thought she was referring to an overall attitude and certain comments. Hey, maybe I am illiterate too. Along with senile and annoying.

Terrye on August 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM

the IQ of the readership has certainly dropped dramatically.

Quotes. Of. The. Day. I know words ar hurd and stuf, but still. Sound it out.

Professor Blather on August 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Um, is YOUR reading comprehension as superior to those whom you’re impugning as you might think?

LOL! I’ve never had a problem with QOTD,even with my low IQ struggling with all the ‘hurd words and stuf’, but it’s pretty self-evident that others who aren’t regular readers aren’t automatically clued into the unorthodox format. Is it soooooo important to keep it if it confuses casual visitors? Cindy Mumford is not going to be unemployed forever. ;-)

leilani on August 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM

ah… my original post didn’t show up… what a surprise. So I’ll post it again: I find this offensive in the extreme, however, it doesn’t shock me at all that Allahpundit is in favor of this whatever it is building. I hope Bush dances around in the front yard in Crawford finger extended rudely and tells you all to get lost. It would be the only thing he could to to prevent you all from blaming him when things go bad on this. And they will.

I just hope the gang who keeps blathering about religious freedom keeps that attitude come December. Somehow I doubt it. I”m sure their concern for it will disappear.

Mad Mad Monica on August 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Okay how many d@mn times must we explain this….NONE OF THESE SNIPPETS WERE WRITTEN BY ALLAHPUNDIT

NOT
A
SINGLE
DAMN
ONE

They were written by, in order of posting:
Jonathan Capehart-Washington Post
Eboo Patel-Washington Post
Michael Cohen-AOL News

The Quote of the Day IS NEVER written by AllahPundit (AP). It is simply him picking one (or more) quotes and/or videos from a large available list on the internet that he thinks will drive up traffic.

If you click the nice blue links in each item, then you’ll SEE who wrote them.

Allah could you please start INDICATING SUCH on these posts else you WILL lose traffic and commenters.

SgtSVJones on August 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM

mjtyson on August 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I was wondering what he was handing them, thanks. I wonder what kind of coin?

leilani on August 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I was wondering what he was handing them, thanks. I wonder what kind of coin?

leilani on August 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I believe it is a Presidential Challenge Coin

SgtSVJones on August 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Allah, is this a sort of test? LMAO

And here I thought I was nutz.

Ugly on August 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Love it. Great example of leadership, integrity, and loyalty.

mperek on August 20, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I love the left continuing to twist the words of everyone on this.

This ploy of longing for Bush is just that. They know if they make the current crop seems more ‘extreme’ than Bush, then the ‘Blame Bush’ meme gains more credibility.

Furthermore, this ‘the mosque is 2 blocks away’ is nonsense. The building was shut down because it was damaged by the landing gear crashing into it. Basically if any part of the WTC or the planes/bodies touched the building (other than dust since that can float a long way) it’s too close.

It’s not Islamophobia as the left is now trying to spin it. It’s a matter of people knowing that having the right to do something doesn’t always make doing something the right thing to do.

Also folks, look up Cordoba, Spain. There reasons for doing this are out in the open. Understand Cordoba, Spain and understand why they are really doing it. Ask any Spaniard they can certainly enlighten you.

MannyT-vA on August 20, 2010 at 8:32 PM

The coin W was handing the troops was the CinC (Commander-in-Chief) coin. Boo-Boo probably has some too but his are already tarnished!

AReadyRepub on August 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM

The Quote of the Day IS NEVER written by AllahPundit (AP).

SgtSVJones on August 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Thank you for pointing this out! It’s late I guess, but some days it seems like liberals fractured reality itself, and you never know who will fall through the cracks.

President George W. Bush Greeting Troops

The time and effort of President Bush to build genuine affection between himself and the soldiers is his most endearing quality.

Feedie on August 21, 2010 at 3:28 AM

Oh my God… Past a tissue please…
Now I really miss having a President in the White House.
Meanwhile… Obama on vacation again… cause ruling against the will of the people is hard work.

RalphyBoy on August 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

So no matter what it’s Bush’s fault…because now he isn’t President anymore:)

Dr Evil on August 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I’m with you Manny T. This freedom of religion argument is nonsense when you look at what Islam is. It isn’t a religion in the true sense so much as it is a social system with the lure of “religion” embedded within it. It is flat-out contrary to our Constitution and should be afforded no quarter as a “religion” in America. This cuts to the heart of the controversy – we all know this deep down – it’s about conquest; not faith. Don’t buy the lie AP. You’re of base on this one.

warriorlawyer on August 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM